The Vanguard Play by Post Roleplaying Game
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Ultrahumans! Issue #3 starring Miss Victory and Lionheart "And there came a reckoning!"

3 posters

Page 13 of 13 Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 11, 12, 13

Go down

The Ultrahumans! Issue #3 starring Miss Victory and Lionheart "And there came a reckoning!" - Page 13 Empty Re: The Ultrahumans! Issue #3 starring Miss Victory and Lionheart "And there came a reckoning!"

Post  Admin Tue Aug 16 2022, 18:18

Miss Victory attacked physically, distracting the powerful once hero whilst Lionheart attacked mentally, clearly where the now villain was more vulnerable!

Atomic Champion reeled.

The plan - as laid out on the captured satellite base of the Ultrahumans - had seemed flawless. The Ultrahumans were finished as a force without Silver Sentinel. He'd seen sense and switched sides after being sold on the idea of a new world order, purging all other threats from the Earth and defending the planet better than the Ultras, any other superhero organisation and even world governments could ever do!

No more crime! No hunger! War outlawed! Want removed and the people given clear direction! Mankind needed leading, wanted to be led!

Nexus had spoken of mankinds destiny amongst the stars. Not just visiting them to solve some distant dispute and return to Earth as the Ultras did. They would venture out to conquer, to control, to mould the universe in the image of mankinds rule. Just, fair, powerful, unconquerable.

The plan had been sound, Sentinel was out of the equation, the Ultrahumans fawning and simpering over the 'great man' as he contained his energy in the heart of the sun. With them out of the way there were other powerful supers of course but in the grand scheme of things they would fall and be brought into line. Or die. Couldn't make an omelette without breaking eggs of course. A shame and that was part of Atomic Champions' challenge as he saw it. Change their way of thinking, bring them over. No more good guys, no more bad. Just mankind as a whole.

Of course there would be a supreme ruling class, but for those subservient and loyal there would be rewards. Riches, lands to rule over, choice of people to serve in all manner of ways...

He reeled.

What?

He was in space, his mind tumbling. He'd been attacked.

Lionheart.

Miss Victory.

Damn them!

He could still turn this around. He could still...

OOC Lionheart attacks!

Team attack, Dev Attack, Mind Blast 15 + Accuracy 4D + 6d12+0 8,8,12,12,1,3+0 = 24 DOUBLE (boom!) plus 2d12+0 10,3+0 = 37 (52) vs
Atomic Champion OV 8 + Dev Attack 8 - Team Attack 2 + 2d12+0 3,2+0 = 5 (19)
Success +8
Mind Blast Ev15 + 8 (EV23) vs RV20 - 12 (Dev Attack) (RV8)=15 MENTAL DAMAGE RAPs

Already on 6/14 Mind and stunned Atomic Champion doesn't have enough HP to absorb the remainder and Miss Victory delivers a coup de grace with an uppercut thanks to Lionheart guiding her telekinetically in the void!

Atomic Champion is DOWN and OUT!

Suddenly there is a blinding flash of light!

A chrome silver figure appears, floating in the void. He soars over to where Miss Victory holds the unconscious Atomic Champion by the scruff of the shirt.

A voice in the heroes minds speaks out in a calm, methodical voice.

The Ultrahumans! Issue #3 starring Miss Victory and Lionheart "And there came a reckoning!" - Page 13 Silver-sentinel-next-to-moon

"I am Silver Sentinel. We have not met but I know you, through the other Ultrahumans. You have performed a great service for me, severing the traitors' means of draining my power and healing from the wound which was calculated and intended to slaughter hundreds of inmates of the Ultramax."

He turns in space and looks to the distant Ultrahumans space station, a dot in space.

"They hold the President hostage. They know I am back."

He turns and another flash appears, dust trailing around the spacecraft that appears in the void containing the rest of the Ultrahumans.

"It is time to set things right. You both have enabled this to happen. You are heroes in every sense, and I am proud to call you both... Ultrahumans..."

OOC Next post is a wrap from me for this issue. Anything you want to say to chrome dome or are you happy for the monologue to continue? All being well I should find time this week to polish this off after weeks of having practically no time at all! The kids are still off on summer break but in a way work is a respite despite the silly long shifts.

The Ultrahumans! Issue #3 starring Miss Victory and Lionheart "And there came a reckoning!" - Page 13 Tables_draft_v2_higher_resThe Ultrahumans! Issue #3 starring Miss Victory and Lionheart "And there came a reckoning!" - Page 13 Combat-Maneuver-stuff
Admin
Admin
Admin

https://darkeningshadows.darkbb.com

Back to top Go down

The Ultrahumans! Issue #3 starring Miss Victory and Lionheart "And there came a reckoning!" - Page 13 Empty Re: The Ultrahumans! Issue #3 starring Miss Victory and Lionheart "And there came a reckoning!"

Post  Steeple_jackuk Wed Aug 17 2022, 14:12

Admin wrote:Atomic Champion is DOWN and OUT![/i][/color]

Suddenly there is a blinding flash of light!

A chrome silver figure appears, floating in the void. He soars over to where Miss Victory holds the unconscious Atomic Champion by the scruff of the shirt.

A voice in the heroes minds speaks out in a calm, methodical voice.

The Ultrahumans! Issue #3 starring Miss Victory and Lionheart "And there came a reckoning!" - Page 13 Silver-sentinel-next-to-moon

"I am Silver Sentinel. We have not met but I know you, through the other Ultrahumans. You have performed a great service for me, severing the traitors' means of draining my power and healing from the wound which was calculated and intended to slaughter hundreds of inmates of the Ultramax."

He turns in space and looks to the distant Ultrahumans space station, a dot in space.

"They hold the President hostage. They know I am back."

He turns and another flash appears, dust trailing around the spacecraft that appears in the void containing the rest  of the Ultrahumans.

"It is time to set things right. You both have enabled this to happen. You are heroes in every sense, and I am proud to call you both... Ultrahumans..."

OOC Next post is a wrap from me for this issue. Anything you want to say to chrome dome or are you happy for the monologue to continue? All being well I should find time this week to polish this off after weeks of having practically no time at all! The kids are still off on summer break but in a way work is a respite despite the silly long shifts.

Lionheart looked shocked. They had done it, they'd pulled off the seemingly impossible, and yet there was still so much to put right. He looked at Sentinel and voiced when he had been thinking all along.

"All of this wouldn't have been possible were it not for the fact that so much depended on you. Even with our heaviest hitters, so many have been lost, and this is at a time when Advent is so eager to swoop in and 'save us'! We need to learn from this, I think this is what persuaded Atomic Champion, the dream Nexus held out of authoritarian rule that promised so much in exchange for every freedom we hold dear. We need to learn from this as well, the Ultra Max prison was a solution but it was also one of the biggest problems, as it caused as much pain as it did protection. But we've still got a lot of mess to clear up, I, for one, am happy to continue being part of the team as long as we can have the humility to learn from our failures and build the team up more resilient for the future "

OOC:Happy to continue with the dialogue or monologue whatever suits. But we've still got Nexus and his inner circle to deal with yet.

Sj
Steeple_jackuk
Steeple_jackuk
Cosmic Level

Back to top Go down

Post  DavidMcMahon Wed Aug 17 2022, 18:05

"Atomic Champion forgot one important thing," Miss Victory says, looking down at the unconscious ex-hero, "We are not the caretakers of humanity or of the world, nor its Saviors, we are Symbols of Freedom and Liberty. He sought to control humanity. We should never do that. We are there to inspire folks to be better and for them to strive to bring about those freedoms and liberties and maintain them, to become better humans living by the Golden Rule, to use their free will in positive instead of negative ways."

"Top down solutions destroy people's liberties and freedom ... always! Many of us have godlike powers but we are not gods and to think we are lies madness. Nor are we unthinking machines constantly working always on duty. Many of us put these costumes on and basically do this for free, because we want to help folks, help folks feel safer, help inspire folks to do better for themselves."

"We need to gather up all evidence we can and see if we can convince the still free nations of the world that Advent has invaded us and we need to declare war on them and drive them from our planet. Maybe we can find out where they come from and go there and give them a taste of their own medicine too. That might get them to surrender and leave."

DavidMcMahon
DavidMcMahon
Cosmic Level

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Fri Aug 26 2022, 21:52

OOC My time management sucks! Work allllll day then feed/chat to/entertain the other half (she likes the new She-Hulk series, which is great because she also likes reality tv shows which I find so false and excruciating but hey, gotta give and take I guess. Mind you she huffs and puffs through the football...) Sent her packing (I'm up for work at 0530) and think 'I can get a post in!' before bed!

"One problem solved at a time was always the best way, I think. Now that you have freed me from my 'prison' in the sun it is time to take the fight to the villains. Rather than risk the Presidents' life in some mindless brawl on our space station it may be time to open dialogue. For now, our Earth Bound Headquarters needs returning to Earth and the team needs to assemble." said Silver Sentinel. "You both speak well and I already have an idea of where next to proceed."

He turned and 'pulsed' to the rest of the Ultrahumans in the spacecraft. 'Friends, our newest members, heroes both, have saved not only the team but the country and stopped the traitor in our midst. We need to find another solution to the gulag we helped build though. Putting all of the most dangerous individuals on the Earth in one place might have seemed like a good idea but that has been proven otherwise. Even with their powers deactivated many of them have intellects that cannot be measured in Earthly terms.'

'ADVENT is also a problem. They appear to be benevolent and 'here to help however they can' but I sense something else about them. An ... interference.' he turned to Lionheart and Miss Victory. 'One problem at a time though. I assume you two can return to Earth under your own power?'

He gave a polite, respectful nod then vanished!

Instantly the headquarters - millions of tons of it - started moving towards the Earth!

The Ultrahumans spacecraft drifted closer, coming alongside. Thunder Woman, in the cockpit, was positively beaming with pride and respect and gave a 'thumbs up' to the pair of heroes in space. Then the craft fired up and started heading for Earth, for home.

The Ultrahumans were its mightiest protectors, defenders against threats no single superhero no matter how powerful could face on their own.

This time they had been undone by one of their own, betrayed from within. Though the Ultrahumans didn't know it, the same had happened across the channel with the UKChampions suffering betrayal from within, almost at the same time.

Coincidence?

Not likely.

Lionheart put a hand out to Miss Victory who took it and the pair started drifting towards the Earth, seeing the shining silver dot in the sky that would be the next problem to solve in the endless whack-a-mole that was a superheroes' life.

How to rescue the President from the most dangerous villains on Earth!

That was a question they would need to answer soon, as time was running out, thanks to the ever present threat of ADVENT...

END OF ISSUE!

OOC Whew! That took... a long time to sort out, not least because over the last 2-3 months I've been pulled in every direction going! School holidays still, got the kids next week for four days but will see where I can get caught up over the weekend. It's like therapy for me, taking me away from what is a grind of a job and the house of course, where the jobs are never ending!

I'll sort out Hero Point awards and we'll get LH and Miss V started with a new challenge in the next few days all being well *fingers crossed*

The Ultrahumans! Issue #3 starring Miss Victory and Lionheart "And there came a reckoning!" - Page 13 Tables_draft_v2_higher_resThe Ultrahumans! Issue #3 starring Miss Victory and Lionheart "And there came a reckoning!" - Page 13 Combat-Maneuver-stuff
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  DavidMcMahon Sat Aug 27 2022, 00:54

Miss Victory holds up her hand to Lionheart showing him how many minutes she can still survive in space and indicates he need to get her back down into the atmosphere fairly soonest. affraid
DavidMcMahon
DavidMcMahon
Cosmic Level

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Mon Sep 12 2022, 13:22

OOC the current 'stopping me from sitting down for a couple of hours to update the threads' challenge is moving boxes of stuff/tools/not sure what the heck is in em out of the lockup I've rented for the last 7 years or so. I don't want to do the sums of what its cost, just get the thing emptied!

That will be (apart from actually getting divorced, still to get round to that) another chapter in the book closed off. All being well this week the lockup saga will be done anyway, just need to get stuff out then start the task of sorting through what goes in the garage and what goes in the bin...

Anyway...

LIONHEART was on 26HP
MISS VICTORY was on 30HP

The Level of Opposition was Superior - if you decided to (for whatever reason) boil the fate of the world down to a fistfight, there were good odds that you'd lose. In the end you did just what you needed to do to delay things till Silver Sentinel (who you inadvertently freed when putting the moon between SS and Atomic Champion) could get on the scene. Even boosted as he was, Atomic Champion was no match for who is (possibly) the Worlds most powerful superhero.

Award: 25

Critical points included getting into the locked down Ultras HQ and all that dancing around the security. That was a roll of 15+ or equivalent and needed several successes to ensure you got in.

Award: 8

Area of consequence was, in this instance, Nationwide but would have developed into something much larger had the Ultras gone down and stayed there. Now they can rebuild and restore order, and that's down to the efforts of LH and Miss V.

Award: 5

Severity determines how bad things were going to get. In this case with no one to stop them the villains would have taken over America and from there things would have spiralled, possibly into war or an alliance with Advent, who wouldn't just sit on their hands and wait for the bad guys to send them a text. With the heroes either restrained, imprisoned, killed or exiled, the severity is Permanent NonFatal because the people would have been governed by new people but on the whole left to grind on with their lives under the heel of a new villain led government.

Award: 10

Standard award total is 48 and you get that for:

Participation
Role playing the character well
Saving innocent bystanders (and then some)
Thwarting the plot of the opposition
Miscellaneous

240HP each.

LH is on 266
Miss Victory is on 270HP

Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  DavidMcMahon Mon Sep 12 2022, 22:26

ooc:  I got 2-3 ideas here and would appreciate feedback.

I am thinking of getting the Regeneration power for Miss Victory but it looks like it would cost 250 HP just to get level 0 in it and at least 80 more HP to get it to level one, if my fast math is correct.  

First thought was of her getting low level regeneration, not the high level stuff other heroes have, as part of her natural powers outside the Power Pool.  Since she keeps getting knocked out so often I thought getting it eventually up to around 4-6 regen might help her and not turn her into a Deadpool/Wolverine level regen monster.  The idea being this is part of her being super-healthy even without the Power Pill.  

Second idea was thinking about trying to stick it in the Power Pool to lower costs but I'm not sure it would be cost effective.  If I get level 1 in Regen in the Power Pool, if she isn't knocked out she could then bump it up to level 23 and heal up pretty much all damage in one round.  Not sure how fast that level of regen is but I don't think it would work in combat unless she has at least one round where she can switch powers to heal.  But if she is knocked out, it is useless until she wakes up.  

Can I even use it in the Power Pool if she has level 0 in it or do I have to wait until I get level 1 in it?

My other idea is to raise Mind Blank by one level and put the remaining points into Systemic Antidote with Old Age Defense - 4 levels I think I could get this way?  That would take around 250 HP to do, leaving me with 20 HP to start the next adventure with.

The Old Age defense is sort of a background thing for her, giving her limited immortality or really slowing down her age, depending on how it is allowed.  It doesn't really do much in the actual game unless we get some time traveling heroes a hundred years in our future and they find a barely middle aged Miss Victory still fighting the good fight.   I love you
But the Systemic Antidote of defense against poisons, drugs and gases does fit her character well and can help in adventuring.

So those are my ideas.  Very Happy

I think I've said this before but eventually I want to get all her stats, skills and powers to level 8.  That will let her raise her powered up stats a bit, still topped at level 23 but now a second stat could be higher.  So Lionheart will fairly soon outlevel her to the point that she becomes his sidekick instead of his partner but then again, the Haunt might get up to her level by then and could then adventure with her.
  Idea Idea
DavidMcMahon
DavidMcMahon
Cosmic Level

Back to top Go down

Post  Steeple_jackuk Wed Sep 14 2022, 12:39

Admin wrote:240HP each.

LH is on 266
Miss Victory is on 270HP
[/i][/color]

OOC: I never know what to buy here, as I am really content with the way Lionheart is at the present. If you've any suggestions that is fine, but otherwise I think I might bank these to help assist with rolls in game.

Sj
Steeple_jackuk
Steeple_jackuk
Cosmic Level

Back to top Go down

Post  DavidMcMahon Wed Sep 14 2022, 17:29

Steeple_jackuk wrote:

LH is on 266
Miss Victory is on 270HP
[/i][/color]

OOC: I never know what to buy here, as I am really content with the way Lionheart is at the present.  If you've any suggestions that is fine, but otherwise I think I might bank these to help assist with rolls in game.  

Sj

If you are not looking to make him stronger but a bit more versatile, here's 4 ideas to tweak LH:

1. Get your Will and Aura up to 8, which will affect at least two of your powers.

2. Get Mind Blank to prevent people from reading your mind.

3. Raise your Accuracy with Mind Blast.

4. Get FTL flight, so you can get around the Solar System or get to other star systems much faster, along with the appropriate Scholar skill.

Below is the information from Blood of Heroes on how to get FTL Flight.

The Ultrahumans! Issue #3 starring Miss Victory and Lionheart "And there came a reckoning!" - Page 13 Faster11

5x - might maybe need more Telescopic Vision if you are going into Space more often.  A 30 in Telescopic Vision gives a range around 1,024,000 miles or 0.00000017419038210381 light years or 0.011015987381965 AUs if my math is near correct.

Digging around the Net I get:

The distance between the Earth and the Sun is referred to as astronomical unit (au), which is also a unit for measuring other distances throughout the solar system. The au averages 149.6 million kilometers or 92.96 million miles. The distance between the Earth and the Sun is so great that the light from the Sun takes about eight minutes to hit the Earth’s surface, traveling at 186,000 miles per second.

6x  You could also think about lowering your power burnouts from 3 and 5 down to 2.
DavidMcMahon
DavidMcMahon
Cosmic Level

Back to top Go down

Post  Steeple_jackuk Thu Sep 15 2022, 08:10

DavidMcMahon wrote:
Steeple_jackuk wrote:

LH is on 266
Miss Victory is on 270HP
[/i][/color]

OOC: I never know what to buy here, as I am really content with the way Lionheart is at the present.  If you've any suggestions that is fine, but otherwise I think I might bank these to help assist with rolls in game.  

Sj

If you are not looking to make him stronger but a bit more versatile, here's 4 ideas to tweak LH:

1. Get your Will and Aura up to 8, which will affect at least two of your powers.

2. Get Mind Blank to prevent people from reading your mind.

3. Raise your Accuracy with Mind Blast.

4. Get FTL flight, so you can get around the Solar System or get to other star systems much faster, along with the appropriate Scholar skill.

Below is the information from Blood of Heroes on how to get FTL Flight.

The Ultrahumans! Issue #3 starring Miss Victory and Lionheart "And there came a reckoning!" - Page 13 Faster11

5x - might maybe need more Telescopic Vision if you are going into Space more often.  A 30 in Telescopic Vision gives a range around 1,024,000 miles or 0.00000017419038210381 light years or 0.011015987381965 AUs if my math is near correct.

Digging around the Net I get:

The distance between the Earth and the Sun is referred to as astronomical unit (au), which is also a unit for measuring other distances throughout the solar system. The au averages 149.6 million kilometers or 92.96 million miles. The distance between the Earth and the Sun is so great that the light from the Sun takes about eight minutes to hit the Earth’s surface, traveling at 186,000 miles per second.

6x  You could also think about lowering your power burnouts from 3 and 5 down to 2.

OOC:What would be helpful to know is if I held off could I take an advancement in game - I realise this potentially means I seek a get out or a hand up in game. But my first iteration of Frostbite was so weak under the old GH rules that he had a upgrade in game to help him out. It didn't help in those days that the dice was always against me in almost any roll I made.

It doesn't matter if I can't, but for now I am going to perhaps bank these HP and see what happens next. This has the advantage of letting Miss V move closer to LH in terms of abilities and what not. I will see, when Paul chimes in. But thanks for the suggestions I can put those to one side as worthy of consideration.

Sj
Steeple_jackuk
Steeple_jackuk
Cosmic Level

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Thu Oct 06 2022, 21:51

OOC still on catch up mode but the fact I have some (limited but better than I've had) time at the computer is encouraging!

OK, in order then...

David M - Regeneration no good at Level 0. Level 1 effectively halves healing time to 9APs/30 mins, so that would be the minimum. Nothing to stop you paying for the base cost though. What about a gadget? Some kind of thing like an additional pill with a set number of charges or a Reliability Number (I do *love* those Laughing ) so that when the power burns out it means no pills left. A limitation like only works when X is in/not in effect or must drink serum Y to use the power... However buying it at zero then paying to add it to the power Reserve can boost pool would work, though would cost (off the top of my head need to check) 300HP (BC250 Power Reserve can boost pool 50).

Saving up to buy off that max 23 limitation might be worth it but that is crazy expensive. You have to admit though in the last adventure Miss V punched above her weight. Though she was just one amongst a sizeable number of heroes she was the one who did all the heavy lifting in those NPC groups, especially in that scrap against Omega Man who was able to pound the likes of Superman (as statted up in the official DC Heroes books) and anyone 'lower' power level than him into a blue smear on the floor. With 17-27 Dex, 30-40 Str, 28-38 Body and so on he was a monster, and Miss V more or less pounded him on her own after he mulched those with her. Close run thing though.

If I were you I would set some points aside and bank the rest. I have given some thought to banking points. At the moment there is no advantage to it as you are just depriving yourself, but I figure a bonus of 10% if you bank from one award to the next might be some incentive. Bank 200 and don't spend them and you have 220HP next time the awards roll around. Hmmm it's not a great incentive. Might bump that to 25%. Thoughts?

The main thing I think Miss V is missing is Flight. I know she has Jumping and Running but she is the perfect brick in most other respects, just missing out on Flight to make her able to operate in space.

As for Lionheart Dave, he pretty much has everything he needs, just tweaks required if anything. He can't see in the dark better than an ordinary person but has his Danger Sense so long as it doesn't burn out. There's very little he isn't good at, he's very versatile and powerful. Fast, strong, tough you name it. He's not unbeatable though - you've burned through mountains of HP with LH so keeping the stash tucked away for that 'just in case' time is a good idea, and if you don't use it, that Banked bonus will come in handy.

25% bonus to banked Hero Points not used from one award to the next sound good to you guys? I'll stick it in the house rules if so and hopefully get the next (belated!) adventure up and running in the next day or so. Juggling work and the usual stuff but no son this weekend so Saturday/Sunday evening could be a sit down and catch up session.

Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  DavidMcMahon Fri Oct 07 2022, 03:05

I think I will just buy Regeneration normally at 0 unless I have enough for 1? Next adventure when I have more xp into raising it. Like the original Golden Age Superman, her body is slowly adapting and becoming more powerful.

That would leave me with 20 HP to use in game. Not a lot but in one vital moment that can be handy.

Also will look at getting systemic antidote up after some other adventures.
DavidMcMahon
DavidMcMahon
Cosmic Level

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Mon Oct 10 2022, 22:56

The Ultrahumans! Issue #3 starring Miss Victory and Lionheart "And there came a reckoning!" - Page 13 Miss-V-oct-22

Not much change from August last year (last update). Regen zero with no limitations so it works when no vita pill. Until you start adding APs there is no cost break from applying the vita pill required limitation.

Just enough time to fire up a new issue before I hit the sack. Long couple of days ahead of me at work but should be able to update daily (I'm hoping!)

Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Steeple_jackuk Tue Oct 11 2022, 08:59

Admin wrote:As for Lionheart Dave, he pretty much has everything he needs, just tweaks required if anything. He can't see in the dark better than an ordinary person but has his Danger Sense so long as it doesn't burn out. There's very little he isn't good at, he's very versatile and powerful. Fast, strong, tough you name it. He's not unbeatable though - you've burned through mountains of HP with LH so keeping the stash tucked away for that 'just in case' time is a good idea, and if you don't use it, that Banked bonus will come in handy.

25% bonus to banked Hero Points not used from one award to the next sound good to you guys? I'll stick it in the house rules if so and hopefully get the next (belated!) adventure up and running in the next day or so. Juggling work and the usual stuff but no son this weekend so Saturday/Sunday evening could be a sit down and catch up session.

[/i]

OOC:Dark vision or the equivilent might be nice, but otherwise not worried about upgrades, happy to bank the HP for those rainy days that come

Sj
Steeple_jackuk
Steeple_jackuk
Cosmic Level

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 13 of 13 Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 11, 12, 13