The Vanguard Play by Post Roleplaying Game
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The New Vanguard! Frostbite Issue #7 - Cold and Afraid!

2 posters

Page 5 of 8 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Go down

The New Vanguard! Frostbite Issue #7 - Cold and Afraid! - Page 5 Empty Re: The New Vanguard! Frostbite Issue #7 - Cold and Afraid!

Post  Admin Tue Jan 23 2018, 12:45

Filling the interior with ice and cooling it as hard and for as long as he could, Frostbite tried his best to resist the incredible heat... but without the probes' normal systems to slow its descent into atmosphere (removed to give Frostbite room to climb in) the capsule started to spin and glow.

Very very brightly!

All of a sudden the probe started to shudder and vibrate, then tumble, as the weight imbalance was magnified by the extreme speed! Suddenly it exploded and the sound of air hitting the contents created a huge thunderclap! Frostbite was stunned, temporarily he hoped, and unable to hear, but heard Frostbot in his head saying 'Ah, the optimum moment for 'bailing out' has not occurred yet, but here we are...'

Streaking down like an asteroid the ice ball flared and started to melt, flanked by debris from the probe which lit up the sky! Frostbite got a glimpse of blue... then green below... Using his power of flight he started to slow his descent, but it was like trying to grab onto a bullet as it passed by! He knew he had to try harder so...

FWOOOOOSHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!

Darkness. Water. Sucking mud. Fould, dank smelling muck. Bubbles all around, steaming water...

Frostbite swum to the surface, taking a great gulp of air and looking around. He was in a swamp. Well, one with a huge wet crater in and steam pumping up from the ground all around! In addition to that, Frostbites' power had frozen the water all about. The trees around were overhung wet wet looking vines, and a neat hole punched into the canopy of the trees.

The New Vanguard! Frostbite Issue #7 - Cold and Afraid! - Page 5 Crococidle_men

Then Frostbites' eyes settled on three 'Crocodile Men' hybrids that stood around 7' high at the shoulder! They didn't look friendly, and strode through the steaming muck towards Frostbite...
Admin
Admin
Admin

https://darkeningshadows.darkbb.com

Back to top Go down

The New Vanguard! Frostbite Issue #7 - Cold and Afraid! - Page 5 Empty Re: The New Vanguard! Frostbite Issue #7 - Cold and Afraid!

Post  Steeple_jackuk Wed Jan 24 2018, 17:26

Admin wrote:Then Frostbites' eyes settled on three 'Crocodile Men' hybrids that stood around 7' high at the shoulder! They didn't look friendly and strode through the steaming muck towards Frostbite...

Noting his limbs and body parts all seemed to be intact, Frostbite thanked God he was still in one piece and knew that was an experience he didn't want to repeat a second time.

Taking in the scene and the creatures before him, Frostbite had no reason to believe these creatures would be 'nice and welcoming' to the new guy in town. But assuming he still had the power of flight, he wasn't about to stick around and find out. He was here for a purpose and that this place was scheduled for annihilation suggested that something big was going on here that needed his attention.

He didn't have time to waste jawing with the locals.

OOC: ok I'll fly up and get my bearings, see if I can't get away from these things. Assuming I've not rendered my flight power inoperable. In which case I am hoping that crocodile creatures are lizards and cold-blooded and hence not liking ice production. But I'm kind of assuming my descent has been noted and it might be I've drawn attention to myself. Flight might be risky, so will need to assess whether I stay down low to avoid detection, and try and evade these guys or go up high and get into the fight to get into the thick of the action. Let's go up top first have a look around and then decide the what and where next.

Sj

Steeple_jackuk
Steeple_jackuk
Cosmic Level

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Thu Jan 25 2018, 17:20

Frostbite started to rise from the murk and the creatures spread out, hawked with their chests and throats... then spat!

OOC Frosty flies up... and the CrocMen spit!

'Team Attack' by the three of them...

Glue 7 plus Roll(2d10)+0: 3,2,+0 Total:12 vs Dex 9 - 4 (team Attack) + 11 (16 TN). MISS
Glue 7 plus Roll(2d10)+0: 4,7,+0 Total:18 vs Dex 9 - 4 (team Attack) + 11 (16 TN). HIT +2. 9EV vs Str 9=0 RAPs No effect.
Glue 7 plus Roll(2d10)+0: 6,5,+0 Total:11 vs Dex 9 - 4 (team Attack) + 11 (16 TN). HIT +2. 9EV vs Str 9=0 RAPs No effect.

Frostbite (narrowly) avoids what could be described as basketball size globs of goop! They flew around and past him, splattering and spreading across whatever they hit. Trees, rocks, water... whatever they hit was instantly gummed up and plastered with file smelling goop!

Then he was clear, away over the tree canopy and looking out across a huge jungle! Strange four winged birds, calls from creatures that Frosty didn't recognise and roars from no doubt deadly creatures put Frostbite in no doubt that he wasn't anywhere that could be described as earth! Luckily the air was mostly breathable. An ordinary human might gasp but superhumans wouldn't struggle.

The column of smoke stuck out like a saw thumb. The jungle spread out in every direction but he could see something shining in the sky. Silver like. Metal. Too far away to make out, but... getting closer?
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Steeple_jackuk Fri Jan 26 2018, 14:54

Admin wrote:Frostbite (narrowly) avoids what could be described as basketball size globs of goop! They flew around and past him, splattering and spreading across whatever they hit. Trees, rocks, water... whatever they hit was instantly gummed up and plastered with file smelling goop!

The column of smoke stuck out like a saw thumb. The jungle spread out in every direction but he could see something shining in the sky. Silver like. Metal. Too far away to make out, but... getting closer?

Grateful not to get entangled literally or otherwise in what the Crocmen had for him, nonetheless Frostbite couldn't help but feel this might be a case of out of the frying pan and into the fire. Nonetheless, if there was anything to be found out about what was going on here, then as uncomfortable as the notion made him feel, the fire it was. Frostbite had a muted conversation along synaptic relays and neurological paths he barely grasped as part of his superhuman physiology. Frostbite would need his friend to be onboard, literally if he had any chance of getting close to and perhaps even boarding whatever was on its way to him. And given the amount of armoured muscle flying about this system Frostbite didn't need to imagine that, this is what he'd drawn the attention of coming toward him.

OOC: Ok so let it draw in, perhaps act like I am barely able to fly, injured and what not. And the hope is that I might be able to either dupe them into coming close enough for me to spring into action get aboard or get Frostbot aboard and take over the ship. And if not, well I'll cross that bridge when I come to it.

Sj
Steeple_jackuk
Steeple_jackuk
Cosmic Level

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Thu Feb 01 2018, 09:39

'Though your eyesight is not in the superhuman range, it becomes clear and obvious even from this range that the approaching vessel is of Empirical origin and it's intentions are not friendly.' stated Frostbot. 'Note that their weapon systems may have sufficient power to overwhelm your defences. I recommend caution.'

As Frostbite 'laid it on thick', feigning injury and drawing in the distant silver spec ever faster, he noticed something else in the corner of his peripheral vision. Something Big.

The New Vanguard! Frostbite Issue #7 - Cold and Afraid! - Page 5 Diving_bird

All of a sudden the 'suns went out' so to speak, as a huge shadow engulfed Frostbite! The biggest bird he'd EVER seen swooped down at speed towards him! With a wingspan of more than 50'... it was hard to judge with it's wings pulled into dive, and claws big enough to clamp hold of a small car, it was clear that Frostbite was next on the menu!

OOC Initiative... no need to roll. Frosty isn't surprised (this whole planet wants to kill him!) and he's smart, whereas this thing is a big eating/killing machine...

You have a diving bird coming at you! It's about 100' away but will be on you this round...

Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Steeple_jackuk Fri Feb 02 2018, 17:05

Admin wrote:You have a diving bird coming at you! It's about 100' away but will be on you this round...[/i][/color]

OOC: Ok at this point I am thinking what have I got that might be the best strategy against this big bird. So options are a) would Ice Control be effective as a passive form of attack, freezing the air around the bird, particularly its eyes so that it misses me or I could more effective 'dodge'? or b) Weather control, get a huge gust of wind to drag it off, down, to one side or another so that again it looks like it misses or its easier for me to dodge> IN this case, I'd like to get it lower to the ground, maybe something there will take care of it for me! or c) dispersal, if nothing else looks to be effective then go for phasing so that it clean goes through me, that way I can try and see if it will leave me alone before trying one of the options above, as a fall back. Not sure what is most effective, cost least in terms of avoiding my ruse being discovered etc.

Frostbite quickly mulled over his options, flashing at the speed of thought his considerations past Frostbot, whose ability to process the various strategies and come up with workable probabilities was simply much greater than his own.

Sj
Steeple_jackuk
Steeple_jackuk
Cosmic Level

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Fri Feb 09 2018, 11:18

OOC Dispersal is as effective a way as any to ensure the big bird doesn't gobble Frosty...

Adrenaline Surge 15 + Roll(2d10)+0: 7,1,+0 Total:23 vs TN11 + OV5 (16). +4EV (19) vs 5RV. Dispersal Boosted to 15APs temporarily.

Shifting his physical form to that partially 'not there' state that was tricky for a man from the 1940s originally to understand, Frostbite watched as the hug bird simply sped through his body as if he wasn't there!

It banked sharply and started to rise, cawing it's displeasure for the jungle below to cower from! The undisputed king of the skies in this area had been thwarted... and the best way to recover from that slight was to move on and find other, more easily secured, prey!

As the bird swept wings upwards and soared away, Frostbite turned...

OOC Going from the post in Lionhearts thread I've moved on the post to the point where...

And saw a man in a black jumpsuit floating not far away. Could it be...? Here? How...?

"Lionheart?"
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Steeple_jackuk Fri Feb 09 2018, 16:09

Admin wrote:And saw a man in a black jumpsuit floating not far away. Could it be...? Here? How...?

"Lionheart?"

For a moment the fact that both men, heroes and often partners in the team the Vanguard, were at once in the same place after what seemed like aeons, since the team had functioned on a mission together, was more than either had words to say. But as usual, Lionheart jumped in with a quip to dispel any awkwardness,

"Of all the off worlds, in all the backwater microscopic universes, and of all the savage death-dealing, swamp-infested backwaters, I had to run into you here?"

Frostbite was about to talk, to utter his shock and relief that of all the team Lionheart their most powerful was with them when Lionheart continued, "No time buddy, we'll have to drink beer and catch up later you've been made by the empire and their sending in their welcome party to investigate. Kind of handy really because we sure could do with a lift. What say we hitch a ride?"

Frostbite looked in the direction that Lionheart's arm pointed and once again saw the object fast speeding towards them much clearer now, that he had previously been trying to dupe into coming closer. Since he was still dispersed the best idea seemed to head straight to the ship asap and see if he couldn't get a certain Frostbot programme to make friends with the ship whilst Lionheart and Frostbite pacified the occupants.

OOC:Ok if possible to remain dispersed, I'll do what I suggested fly towards the ship and see if we can't get Frostbot to take her over, and meanwhile have Lionheart run interference and try and distract them if possible. We'll both be looking at playing this defensively if they start shooting at us, so as to avoid getting tagged.

Sj
Steeple_jackuk
Steeple_jackuk
Cosmic Level

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Mon Feb 12 2018, 17:23

OOC Adrenaline Boost 15 + Roll(2d10)+0: 3,6,+0 Total:24 vs TN11 + Dispersal 5 (16)=+4EV. 19EV vs Dispersal 5RV=14. Dispersal remains boosted to 15. For my own reference a roll of 6+ on 2D10 ensures success. Anything less than that refer to the character rules! (Bad thing).

With the heroes reunited Frostbite coudn't quite figure out quite why Lionheart hadn't taken out the ship himself. Despite it's size he could punch through a tank like it was made of wet tissue paper, so what gave...?

Anyway. He remained dispersed and flew at the oncoming ship, expecting his friend and team mate to race past him...

And had to glance back to see Lionheart flying but dropping back dramatically! Normally Frostbite knew he'd not even be able to figure out which way Lionheart had gone!

The New Vanguard! Frostbite Issue #7 - Cold and Afraid! - Page 5 Ajax

The oncoming rocket ship opened fire at the pair!

OOC Barring some crazy double tastic roll Frostbite is immune to anything short of a small atomic bomb in dispersed form and Lionheart is far too agile to be hit by the likes of this ships weapons systems. If it did, then it would hurt him in his present form, but it's a big IF.

Vs Frostbite...

Roll(2d10)+0:
9,9,+0
Total:18 DOUBLE plus
Roll(2d10)+0:
1,4,+0
Total:23

Weaponry 7 + 23 vs TN11 + Dex 9 (20) equals hit (+4 effect). 12EV + 4 (16) vs RV (in dispersed form) of 26. No damage. Beam just flashes through.

Vs Lionheart

Roll(2d10)+0:
5,1,+0
Total:6

Miss.

reaching the rocketship ahead of his friend, Frostbite releases his sentient program into a console on the bridge as the bridge crew scatter and race for the arms locker cupboard. there were around a dozen on the bridge, and a clanking security bot swivelled to turn its head and bring weapons to bear until the Captain shouted "No laser fire on the bridge! Do you want us to crash! Stun only! Now, fools!"

That was good to know but Frostbite was sure none of their weapons could affect him whilst dispersed.

'I have taken the liberty of throwing up a number of faults into the ships computer to put it into limp mode.' explained Frostbot. 'Lionheart appears not to be himself. The ship sped past him and he was unable to keep up. I have also opened a loading hatch beneath the vessel and the internal cameras show he is on board. Ah. His speed has not deserted him. Though... he seems not to be as fast as before (OOC An understatement!). he should be nearing the bridge... now...'

=========

Frostbite had ignored the blasts whilst Lionheart simply moved to the side.

His legendary reactions had not deserted him, but he did feel somewhat ineffectual compared to his old friend. Is that how the others had felt when he was in the team? He'd entered this subatomic universe in search of Frostbite and Wandafar, seeking to help them, and instead effectively reduced himself in power to more or less his original PSI Corps level and unwittingly given life to a solid telekinetic construct with the mind and soul of Saladin! How that had come about he wasn't sure, but their minds together and powers had turned Lionheart into one of the top twenty most powerful super beings on Earth! Now, he was... Less?

But no less the hero!

He sped as fast as able to the rocket, only for it to veer and outpace him! What the...?

Turning about in the air he shot off after it... at around 50mph. Rolling his eyes he sighed. He'd been used to flying at high mach speeds for a while now. His original 'fast floating' had been something of a joke in his time in the corps. The others had used it simply to levitate and used jetpacks to fly with.

OOC this version of Lionheart never joined the Executive....

Just then the ship slowed to a sputtering halt, and a rear hatch opened! Flying in, the door swished open and a computer voice spoke out "I am Frostbot, Frostbites' sentient computer aide. Please follow the illuminated signs to the bridge!"

In moments at superspeed Lionheart had sped past astonished crew, technicians and security guards and the door to the bridge swished open! He was stood behind a hulking (7' tall) robot and saw past it that Frostbite was floating on the bridge with the crew rushing for hand weapons...

OOC Initiative. The pair of you go first.
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Steeple_jackuk Mon Feb 19 2018, 19:17

Admin wrote:In moments at superspeed Lionheart had sped past astonished crew, technicians and security guards and the door to the bridge swished open! He was stood behind a hulking (7' tall) robot and saw past it that Frostbite was floating on the bridge with the crew rushing for hand weapons...

OOC Initiative. The pair of you go first.

Lionheart always knew that Frostbite had more going on than met the eye, but even he was impressed by this little secret companion that he'd kept quietly to himself. Lionheart didn't have time to gawp, he wasn't new to AI, but the time for questions wasn't now. Now he was in his element, able to move with his feet, and hands, he moved.

OOC:Lionheart will go for disabling attacks on those trying to get to guns, either multi-attack chopping at hands or limbs or knocking them back to stop them reaching their weapons, or if its better still just getting ahead of them to their weapons (assuming their in one place) and stopping them before they can reach them. Depends what is more feasible. Although I know multi-attack is costly. So if I go down that route lets add 2x HP to where it might help most.

"What took you so long, we've got a planet...correction a universe to save and as usual the clock is ticking."

As Lionheart began to move, Frostbite assumed it was safe to phase back and moved in blasting at those seeking to rush toward weapons, aiming to stop, slow or hamper them rather than do any real damage, especially to the ship.

OOC: Sorry for the delay, been away on holiday for a week, had a great time but now back to try and keep up again, so many emails but got to this one soon as I could. ;-)

Sj
Steeple_jackuk
Steeple_jackuk
Cosmic Level

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Mon Feb 26 2018, 19:05

OOC No worries about waiting, you do enough waiting for me! Been chocka block myself but getting there...

Lionheart is a Grand Master at martial arts. He gets 4 dice free to use when attacking hand to hand (roll six dice in total, pick best two, though the first two dice count if they come up double 1 or activate a failure of powers etc).

Lionheart Dex 7 + Roll Roll(6d10)+0: 1,9,2,9,1,6,+0 Total:18 DOUBLE plus Roll(2d10)+0: 3,3,+0 Total:24 DOUBLE plus Roll(2d10)+0: 3,3,+0 Total:30 DOUBLE plus Roll(2d10)+0: 9,6,+0 Total:45+7=52 Strewth. vs TN4 (highest crewmember Dex) + multi attack penalty +8 + take away +4 + TN11=27. Success.

Lionheart twirls, spins, kicks out, punches and slaps weapons away. The crew stand stunned, gaping at the superhuman abilities on show!

The combat droid stepped towards Frostbite who unleashed an icy torrent at it!

OOC Adrenaline surge on Ice Production. Roll(2d10)+0: 2,1,+0 Total:3 FAILURE! POWER BURNOUT! Looks like Lionheart used up all the luck...

Adrenaline surge is 'DOWN' for 24 hours. Frostbite takes 3 Body damage! FROSTBITE BODY 8/11

Frostbite can still attack though... Ice Production 9 + Roll(2d10)+0: 8,9,+0 Total:26 vs TN11 + Dex 6 (with density increased). Success, +4EV. 13EV vs 19RV. No damage.

With a frown Frostbite sees dozens of ice shards shatter on the ultra hard/dense casing of the Warrior Cyborg!. It in turn swings at Frostbite...

OOC Dex 8 plus Roll(2d10)+0: 8,10,+0 Total:18 (26) vs TN11 + Frostbite Dex 9 +5 (fluid form) (25). Hit +1 EV. EV12 +1 (13) vs RV 16. No damage.

The Warrior Cyborg frowns in return at its lack of success. It brings up another arm, adjusting the inbuilt arm cannon. If that passed through Frostbite, it might strike the ships systems!

OOC Initiative, heroes go first...
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Steeple_jackuk Fri Mar 02 2018, 15:40

Admin wrote:
OOC Initiative, heroes go first...

Ugh, Frostbite felt the sensation of burn out. He'd been pushing himself relentlessly, hardly daring to stop let alone rest of eating properly. Who knew what was in that paste the got fed aboard the ship. Still, he had more than one trick up his sleeve since his body had once again undergone a change.

It was time to muscle up and take this thing down before it took them all down. Having got the better of the crew and the ship stopping this thing before it stopped them was crucial.

With a sudden change, he sped forward bulking, building and suddenly becoming denser and more sturdy, enough to grab the cannon and seek to smash it before the robot could harm them.

OOC:Ok so go for density increase and see if we can't stop this thing, in whatever way seems more appropriate without smashing the ships systems or its occupants as best we can. If Frostbot is able to help, now would be a good time.

Meanwhile, hardly content to stand around Lionheart made sure the rest of the crew weren't going to try anything else whilst Frostbite sought to secure the rest of the ship. He glanced his way seeing him physically change, wondering when that had ever been Frostbites shtick? So much had happened in the time between team missions, that it was easy to miss that they were all a far cry from the small Vanguard thrown together so long ago.

Seeing that Frostbite might need help, he was ready to leap in and use his own abilities, limited or not, to assist.

OOC:OK Lionheart will hang back and offer to go in only after Frostbite has gone, or even after the robot has tried if strategically it places him in a better position. I am mindful of not wanting the crew to take advantage of any distraction I provide by aiding Frostbite, but he'll jump in as needed if that is what is needed.

Sj
Steeple_jackuk
Steeple_jackuk
Cosmic Level

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Tue Mar 06 2018, 08:55

Changing from a snowy, fluid form to his hulking, coated in ice 7' tall body shape, Frostbite was more or less on an eye level with the War Cyborg which stepped in to meet the heroes' challenge!

OOC Density Increase reduces Dex by 1 (to 8) but increases Strength by 2 and Resistance Value (Defence) by 2 as well. Your best attack is still Energy Blast 14, but we'll see what happens when Frostbite goes toe to toe... Martial Artist gives two bonus dice...

Roll(4d10)+0:  4,4,4,10,+0 Total:8 DOUBLE. tricky one, to go for 14 or the double 4. We'll see what the next roll brings. Roll(2d10)+0: 10,3,+8 Total: 21 + Dex 8 (29) vs TN11 + Dex 6 (17)= Hit, +5 Effect. 11 STR +5 (16) vs 18RV... No damage!

With a solid CLANG!!! the fist of the frozen man smacks against the War Cyborgs' steely hide... and barely leaves a scratch!

Frostbite is suddenly reminded that whilst he is superhuman strong and fast, he does his best work at a distance with his cold powers!

The crew are encouraged by this and one makes a break for the cache of guns, only to come up against Lionheart who not only blocks the path, but grabs up the rifle and bends its barrel theatrically!

'I Shall attempt to breach the adversaries cybernetic defences.'
stated Frostbot (OOC that will be next round, requiring simply a touch from Frosty instead of his attack and Frostbot will have a go at taking it out)

The Cyborg held up one it's palms... which sphinctered open and revealed a blazing white light!

OOC Flash 10 + Roll(2d10)+0: 1,5,+0 Total: 16 vs TN11 + Dex8 (19) Fail.

Frostbite turned away in time to avoid being blinded!

OOC Energy Blast is your most powerful and accurate attack. Frostbot is another way you can defeat this thing and perhaps even control it as well. Lionheart is standing ready to lend a hand but as seen, has to keep the crew in check. Initiative Heroes, over to you...
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Steeple_jackuk Tue Mar 06 2018, 20:48

Admin wrote:OOC Energy Blast is your most powerful and accurate attack. Frostbot is another way you can defeat this thing and perhaps even control it as well. Lionheart is standing ready to lend a hand but as seen, has to keep the crew in check. Initiative Heroes, over to you...[/i][/color]

OOC:I was playing this more to the point of being careful in the interior, not going for blast and hope for best. I think with that in mind I would see the energy blast as a last resort and go for Frostbot's attempt to take the cyborg down. Apart from anything else, it will look far more impressive where the crew are concerned. However, if that fails then I think Lionheart and Frostbite ought to swap and Lionheart take down the cyborg and Frostbite gives the crew something else to think about.

Frostbite realised his powerful ice blast would do for the cyborg but was concerned that they retain the ship in as good a quality as could be mustered. With that, he strode purposefully forward to take on the Cyborg with Frostbots help. But he nodded to Lionheart to alert him to the fact should that fail they ought to exchange places and let Lionheart end this if the Cyborg proved too canny for even his sentient AI.

Sj
Steeple_jackuk
Steeple_jackuk
Cosmic Level

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Fri Mar 09 2018, 08:20

Lionheart didn't need to read his friends' thoughts to know why he wasn't unleashing his powerful cold beam.

This place would look like a winter wonderland and the damage to the interior of the ship would be considerable even assuming Frostbite could take the Warborg down quickly!

Frostbite moved up, pulled his fist back... and reached with his other hand to touch the Warborg, using his Martial Arts training to help him!

OOC Roll(4d10)+0: 7,1,4,1,+0 Total:11 + Dex 8 (density increase lowers it) vs TN11 + Dex 6 (17)= success

Interfacing with the Warborg, Frostbot flashes bright blue on Frostbites' chest, then the plate turns pale... and the Warborgs eyes flash blue!

The hulking automaton stiffens, twitches, then turns to look down on Frostbite and the others on the bridge. "I AM IN CONTROL!" the behemoth bellowed. With a flex of a huge fist he added "AND IT FEELS GREAT!"

Frostbite knew that his partner craved independence to a degree, and sometimes wondered if at some point he might not try and stay in whatever he'd taken over.

The Warborg clomped past Frostbite and addressed the crew. "UNDERSTAND THIS! WE ARE IN... Oh. We are in charge. Sorry about the volume."

The Commander stepped forward. "We will not surrender! We would rather die!"

Frostbot/Warborg leaned in, hulking head to cowering commanders face. The man backed up... until he bumped against a console and couldn't go any further! "Then your fate is set. We shall release you into the jungle below and let the other members of your crew observe your fate. If you are resourceful, determined and lucky, I predict your lifespan to be around 1 minute. Even the plants down there will try to eat you. Say goodbye to your crew."

The Commander knew well the dangers of straying out of the Empire camps into the jungle. He gulped, glanced about, then attempted to save face and straightened his jacket. "Ahem. On behalf of myself and my crew, we surrender. Unconditionally. Immediately."

"Please don't toss me out of the ship." he mumbled.

Warborg/Frostbot turned. "The ship..." he said to Frostbite and Lionheart "Is yours."

OOC I'm away for a week after today, but am taking a small laptop with me. However it's a 'beer' holiday so I may only have a few small windows to get to reply. Will try my best!
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Steeple_jackuk Sat Mar 10 2018, 12:00

Admin wrote: OOC I'm away for a week after today, but am taking a small laptop with me. However, it's a 'beer' holiday so I may only have a few small windows to get to reply. Will try my best![/i][/color]

Taking Lionheart to one side whilst Frostbot as Frostborg, guarded the prisoners shuffling them down to the other end of the ship where they could be managed more safely. The two friends caught up filling in their respective accounts of what had brought them both here and how even now the planet and so many others were threatened.

"Ok so the fact remains that the ships are going to blow this planet to kingdom come unless we can board that ship and set on it this reproducing sickness or virus, that Wandafar has got in mind. Hmm, perhaps we can get Frostbot to help with that. I also agree that disrupting things here might mean we get a bigger blow to this corrupt force. Ok, let's get this ship to the others and implement the plan, we've got a decoy to set off as well."

OOC:Ok so I think we'll go with the plan that Lionheart and Wandafar cooked up both to protect this planet, and see if a ship cannot be snuck aboard the mother ship to get Saladin back. And also see if we cannot find a clue as to the whereabouts of the others. We could do with a win on this one, and time is running out for everyone.

Sj

Steeple_jackuk
Steeple_jackuk
Cosmic Level

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Tue Mar 20 2018, 20:44

Making sure that the crew - those that had made it clear they would not betray the empire - were safely tucked away in the brig, Frostbite and Lionheart guided the ship back to where the others waited.

There was some nervousness on the part of the Cat People, many of whom hurled rocks, arrows and spears at the ship ( to no effect) but they soon calmed with words form their leader. He, at least, had no doubts as to the success of the heroes mission.

Nor did Wandafar, who marched on board and looked about. "About time. For someone so blummin fest you sure take your sveet time gettin here, Lionheart. Hello Frostbite. You are in ze same mess as us, ya? No wonder. Trouble follows him around like flies to poop." he added, referring to Lionheart.

OOC in this timeline Wandafar and Lionheart know each other, but Lionheart was never in the Executive, the state sponsored superhero squad, unlike Wandafar, Iron Lady, Steeplejack, British Bulldog, Ben Nevis etc...

The Cat People took some persuading to approach the vessel but the leader came on board. "You are truly amazing. Never had I thought anyone capable of resisting the Empire, but you take the fight to them, every time." he said to Lionheart. "And you have friends?"

Frostbite looked up to the skies. Reflex was still up there somewhere. He hoped she'd been able to keep it all together!

OOC So, plan is...?

Get up to the atmosphere, transmit all the necessary jargon to the Empire ships forming in orbit to blast the planet, then somehow get onto the mothership and get Wandafar/Frostbot to do their thing on the main ships' computers? Sounds fairly straightforward.

Well, aside from the surprises in store...

Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Steeple_jackuk Sat Mar 24 2018, 13:29

Admin wrote:OOC So, plan is...?

Get up to the atmosphere, transmit all the necessary jargon to the Empire ships forming in orbit to blast the planet, then somehow get onto the mothership and get Wandafar/Frostbot to do their thing on the main ships' computers? Sounds fairly straightforward.

Well, aside from the surprises in store...
[/color]

OOC: Well you took the words right out off my keyboard...

Frostbite looked at Lionheart and their allies. "Folks, sorry no time for tea and biscuits. as my counterpart Lionheart might wish to offer. We yanks, what can I say we're all about the action. We take the ship, I've got friends, allies and a mothership to board, and a planet to rescue. So you'll appreciate we'll have to celebrate later. Meanwhile get what you can, but know that this mission is likely to be going only in one direction. Once we've freed this planet, from the Empires tyranny, we've got a universe to free. Pack light, we go shortly."

Lionheart looked at his new allies, nodding his approval and sanction, as it was clear Frostbite had the air of a man used to command. He boarded the ship, making sure the prisoners were secure. Although he was loath to take them, at the same time, their presence might prove useful. Besides which down here they might cause further trouble, trouble Frostbite could do without.

Lionheart meanwhile, looked at Wandafar, "Stakes seem to keep getting bigger, with every new threat we face, someone bigger, worse and with a greater whim for destruction comes forward. Oh for the simpler days, when I was just fighting Nazi zombies on the moon, or dark wraiths or just stopping a bank raid. Life sure has a way of getting complicated quickly. And what a time to run into performance issues. I hated having that snake Saladin within me, I felt like a walking prison. But most of the time the thrill of the power made it seem worthwhile. Now, look at me, just when we needed our combined efforts most. I don't suppose you have a can of Spinach, hanging about?"

Lionheart wondered if Wandafar would get the last statement if in between his addictive soap opera fix, he'd ever watched old earth cartoons. Still, he didn't feel the need to explain. With one last look at what he thought might be his last time on this savage world, he grabbed whatever Wandafar had cobbled together to take onboard and was gone in a flash, having stowed it onboard safely. Leaving the others to gather their bits as they all prepared themselves in whatever way they seemed best.

Already the ship's engines, barely having stood down, began to cycle up again for the mission of its life. If it could but understood what it was about to face, let alone if it would come through in one piece what tales it might tell.

Sj
Steeple_jackuk
Steeple_jackuk
Cosmic Level

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Thu Mar 29 2018, 09:24

"Ha! Spinach. Is Frostbite your Olive Oil?" laughed Wandafar

Frostbite of course got that jibe, being as he was a child of another time. Wandafar was a television addict, something to try and quell the endless thought processes that had him designing things and figuring out solutions to problems 24 hours a day.

In a way they were all scarred, all carrying some weight on their shoulders, and yet they put their own problems aside in order to help others. The stuff heroes were made of.

Jarna, the former Empire pilot now turned rebel, spoke up. "I don't know what you people are talking about but you should know this. If the Empire suspects ANYTHING this ship will be blown from the sky! It's a basic transport vessel with minimal armament and ..."

Rerghan, the leader of the Cat People who'd brought a dozen of his fiercest warriors with him, placed a large paw on his shoulder gently. "If this fails, it matters not. Death from the skies, or death in this metal vessel, all is the same. My people are migrating as we speak from their homes to the mountains, but there will be nowhere to run if the Empire turns this world into a fireball!"

Jarna nodded, guilt written across her face. "All this time, I've been insulated from the true horror these people are capable of..."

Wandafar piped up "Ach! No worries! We hef ze plen, it's all going to vork out! you see!"

Frostbite plopped into the co-pilots seat as Lionheart expertly danced his hands over the controls. He'd changed his skill set from Martial Artist to Pilot and had quickly figured the basics out, but Jarna was the expert and gave a few suggestions where required. The jungle scene below started to drop away with the sky above looming large in the windows.

"Interesting." said Wandafar from the back as he went through boxes of supplies that the Empire had loaded up for transportation. "Given enough time I can make zis useful..."

Up, up and away the ship raised, until Jarna, from the Comms station, called out. "Incoming message. Coded. From someone called 'Stephanie'. It's not a code name I recognise. This could be a trap! Should I respond, or...?"
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Steeple_jackuk Tue Apr 03 2018, 18:15

Admin wrote:"Ha! Spinach. Is Frostbite your Olive Oil?" laughed Wandafar

Up, up and away the ship raised, until Jarna, from the Comms station, called out. "Incoming message. Coded. From someone called 'Stephanie'. It's not a code name I recognise. This could be a trap! Should I respond, or...?"

Frostbite looked up clearly pleased that despite the precautions necessary to make this desperate plan work she had found a way to lock onto them. He only hoped in so doing that this one ship and its communication would be missed amongst the chatter of what was going on. Still Stephanie - might still stand out.

"Hello..." Frostbite started hesitantly, make a mental note between himself and then gesturing to the robotic Frostbot to scramble the signal. Without his presence within him, simply communication in a hurry with his AI companion was anything but simple. "Steph, we'd best keep this short, we've got friends can't go into details in case we are being listened in on. And keywords might be caught across the band. Hold tight, not long now, one way or another."

Frostbite didn't have time to go into pleasantries and hoped that the message would be sufficiently reassuring to help. Moreover that she was handling the situation as well as could be expected. In any case, they couldn't afford to deviate from their course or draw attention to the otherwise hidden ship he'd come into this sector with. For the time being, the mothership was it, get there or bust.

Lionheart looked across as the communication was terminated. One eyebrow cocked with a naughty suggestive look on his face..."Uhuh..." And left it there smirking to himself.

Frostbite was going to rise to the bait, he instead took a minute interest in the outside hull temperature and brought his thoughts back to the mission at hand.

OOC: Sorry for the delay, been a bit busy with Easter and all. Hope you had a good time away, I guess your back into the thick of it as well?

Sj
Steeple_jackuk
Steeple_jackuk
Cosmic Level

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Sat Apr 07 2018, 17:57

OOC back into the thick of it indeed, with work. been at work today, going tomorrow... last 3 weekends on the trot. Things we have to do to pay the bills, eh? Never any worries about delays mate, I'm pretty much beholden to work, kids, family/friends commitments and anything left over (not much) is 'me' time.

Stephanie replied "We have a situation. I was going to keep radio silence but didn't know how you were getting on. Some of the crew decided to try and re-take the ship. The battles are still going on, but a message was sent to the mothership. In a way, it's good - they are manoeuvring to make an attack on this ship. In another way, it's bad, I don't want to d....skrrrzzzz!"

"The signal has been jammed" said Jarna. "ALL signals have been jammed. The Empire will communicate via a secure ship to ship channel that requires line of sight but cannot be intercepted. That limits it but... Your friend on that ship is dead unless she gets off!"

'We still have a number of minutes to go before we are into near space. The Empire may be able to track which ship she was transmitting to, but it will take time. Her sacrifice has bought us vital time - the planet cannot be assaulted unless the Mothership and its support vessels move back into position.' said Frostbot.

Lionheart knew that he couldn't fly into space at his current power levels. It was frustrating and worse - possibly fatal to Frostbites team mate!

Wandafar
spoke up. "There is a vay... I sink. If ve... set ze engine core to overload und hang on to our hats ve can get into space fester... but zen vill be unable to steer or anything. Also, ze shields vill be down und life support vill be kaput, so ze air ve hef vill be all zet is left. Once gone? ve are all kaput. But hey, ve vill be in space..."

Lionheart looks at the sensors and the sky above. In theory it would be possible to intercept the mothership in a similar manner to shooting at distance at a fast moving target. in other words a long shot.

Rarghan
spoke up "Your friend, if like you, will find a way to survive. The choice must be made... to sacrifice all for one person, or for the teeming millions... billions... on my world below..." he said sadly.
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Steeple_jackuk Wed Apr 11 2018, 13:58

Admin wrote:OOC back into the thick of it indeed, with work. been at work today, going tomorrow... last 3 weekends on the trot. Things we have to do to pay the bills, eh? Never any worries about delays mate, I'm pretty much beholden to work, kids, family/friends commitments and anything left over (not much) is 'me' time.

Wandafar
spoke up. "There is a vay... I sink. If ve... set ze engine core to overload und hang on to our hats ve can get into space fester... but zen vill be unable to steer or anything. Also, ze shields vill be down und life support vill be kaput, so ze air ve hef vill be all zet is left. Once gone? ve are all kaput. But hey, ve vill be in space..."

No one looked most unhappy the Frostbite, who was making some effort to contain the obvious struggle over what had happened to Stephenie and the ship, versus the needs of the mission.

Out of everyone Frostbot and Lionheart, with his superior abilities with vehicles and this ship, stood the best chance of a one-shot all or nothing effort. Truth was, if they didn't go for the surprise option, slow and stealthy might not even cut it in time and all would be lost anyway.

Indicating for Frostbot to join them, Frostbite spoke simply for the sake of clarity and so that all could hear and understand.

"Friends, if we're to have any chance of getting to this Mothership in such a way as to make a difference, its got to be unexpected. Predictable will get us caught, stealth is looking slow and slow is dangerous with a time running away with itself. We take Wandafar's suggestion. Wandafar you coordinate, with Frostbot and Lionheart who'll stand the best chance of getting us where we need to go. And if you've never prayed, pray as we are going to need something more than what we collectively can muster to make this count. Secure the prisoners, and hang on, this isn't going to be a joy ride."

OOC: Well here we go then...a blaze of glory or a blaze of gory, on the windscreen of opportunity. ;-) Consider using all HP collectively as needed to make this work.

Sj
Steeple_jackuk
Steeple_jackuk
Cosmic Level

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Tue Apr 17 2018, 09:52

OOC Finally got chance to update, only to find the pictures/character files/tables are gone from the site. I put them on here so that I wouldn't have to remember where all that stuff was! Doh! No idea what has happened, save that the hosting site may have decided they want to charge for hosting pictures. It does make reading past posts somewhat dull without the pictures in 'em... I may need a day (at work at 1200 so haven't got that long) to find the files I need and will post ASAP to get stuff moving. Apologies for this Dave/David, but I need to make like a bloodhound and find stuff I did a couple of years (and at least one hard drive death) ago Sad
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Tue Apr 17 2018, 10:41

OOC Ok, we're getting somewhere. I think the URL has changed from the initial place I hosted the images, and that has changed from .org to .cc for some reason. ANYWAY. I have the immediate pictures I need (sadly the ones from the archived posts will be long gone) for character writeups and tables. I'll put them all in a super safe place (to be honest most were in dropbox) and I will email the files to you guys as well.

Ok, Lionheart is, essentially, trying to hit a fast moving object from thousands of miles away with one shot at it. he has Frostbot (computer genius) and Wandafar (beyond computer genius) helping him. Lionheart is smart, but not enough to calculate this stuff in a hurry so he needs the team effort. What we are looking at is two rolls (one for the brains and one for Lionhearts reactions) and he is piloting the thing rather than pressing a button when someone shouts "NOW!".

First of all, Wandafars' intelligence roll, with a bonus from the less smart (Frostbot) acting as a team. Wandy has 14 Intelligence (I put him at Lex Luthor level smart, which is future tech and virtual clairvoyance when it comes to planning stuff out. Unlike Luthor he has superhuman abilities like photographic memory and other things to help him out as well).

Wandy spends 30Hp to buy four bonus dice and the OV/RV is 15, my best guess at how much data is being processed including weather, various other factors like Gravity, Physics and plain old fashion luck. Lots of smart NASA types could pull this off with months/years of planning. Wandafar is trying to do it in 4 seconds (one turn).

Target OV 15+ TN11 (26) vs Roll Roll(6d10)+0: 8,2,10,3,8,3,+0 Total:16 (good start) plus Roll(2d10)+0:
5,5,+0 Total:26 (better!) plus Roll(2d10)+0: 4,2,+0 Total:32 (not brill but at this point i think it's academic)+14 Int +2 (team effort) (46).

Success +6 RAPs. 20 EV vs 13 (15- 2 for team effort) RV = 7 RAPs.

Wandafar creases his brow. "Hmmm. Hold on."

"We don't have time!" yelled Jarna. "That ship is going to..."

Wandafar turned "Hush child! Zis is not blinkin' easy! Frostbite. your chestplate thingy. What does it sink?"

The screen looked like so much gobbledigook to Frostbite, but Frostbot spoke up 'My own abilities pale into comparison against the lifeform known as Wandafar, but as far as the reasoning and logic go, I have run the program he's set into motion against a number of variables and cannot form a hypothesis as to why it might not work.'

"Might?" said Frostbite aloud. People looked over.

'Indeed. Variables are shifting constantly. Our own position, the ships, the gravitational pull of the planet. All we can do is suggest this course then Lionheart must pilot it, at the correct time, with the correct amount of thrust at the right direction. This should work. Should. I cannot offer more probabilities at this time because, in theory it should be impossible.'

Frostbite rolled his eyes. If they got this wrong, Steph would die and they would all be stranded in space, without power and at the mercy of the Empire!

"You are ze team leader. Your choice." said Wandafar.

"The fate of my people, and of this planet and possibly this whole universe, rests on your decision." said Rahrghan.

"This... this is..." spluttered Jarna... "I... this is too big! That... that doesn't even make sense! You are asking Lionheart here to pilot the ship AWAY from the Motherships' current course, narrowly miss a mountain range and then keep going! How can that...?"

"Rotation of ze planet. Ach. Time. Hold on." Wandafar muttered. He made a few corrections. "Every moment ve delay, ze chances of pulling zis off shrink! Ve cannot delay longer!"

Lionheart looked at the screen. He was a pilot, but it made no sense to him. He glanced at his friend. Was there another way?

Frostbite looked at them all, then at Lionheart. His friend was from the future... a possible future, but one where technology had become what modern man might have called magic. In him were implanted skills and abilities which they were all relying on to ultimately save this universe. Not super powers, skills. And Wandafar's plan looked crazy.

"Well boss?"

OOC ok, thought I would ask beforehand. Lionheart has 251 HP. His skill at Vehicles gives him four extra dice. I figured rolling another two on top might help but it will cost 51HP just for those two extra dice.

Your call...

The New Vanguard! Frostbite Issue #7 - Cold and Afraid! - Page 5 Hp_table
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Steeple_jackuk Sat Apr 21 2018, 17:44

Admin wrote:"Well boss?"

OOC ok, thought I would ask beforehand. Lionheart has 251 HP. His skill at Vehicles gives him four extra dice. I figured rolling another two on top might help but it will cost 51HP just for those two extra dice.

Your call...

OOC: DO it spend the dice, if this doesn't work then we're all fried anyway.

Frostbite nodded, his brow creased with the tension of knowing that this was once again a like sailing a toy ship through a minefield, during a storm, to get to a safe harbour, blindfolded.  In other words, it shouldn't work.  But sometimes intuition, skill and one might even suggest blind luck might somehow have a backroom deal going to collude together as if the behind the Universe someone just winked in their general direction and favoured their boldness despite how stupid this probably looked to anyone else with an ounce of sense.  But today, sensible was all sold out and crazy was all that seemed to be left.  

"I imagine this is going to still be rough, so strap in, hang on and be prepared to tell your grandchildren how you just defied the odds and hopefully save the universe."  'Either that', Frostbite added to himself, 'or we die but in that scenario, none of us will ever get a 'told you so!' to worry about.'

OOC: Ok not sure what else I can do to prepare other than strap in, sit tight and pray that things go our way - going to be disappointing if they don't ;-)

Sj
Steeple_jackuk
Steeple_jackuk
Cosmic Level

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 5 of 8 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next