The Vanguard Play by Post Roleplaying Game
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The New Vanguard! Frostbite Issue #6 - Toto...

2 posters

Page 4 of 6 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Go down

The New Vanguard! Frostbite Issue #6 - Toto... - Page 4 Empty Re: The New Vanguard! Frostbite Issue #6 - Toto...

Post  Steeple_jackuk Sat Jun 25 2016, 10:13

Admin wrote:Unless...

The Korathi, and their mysterious benefactor were the ones behind the attacks on British PSI operatives, and intended to invade Earth before the governments of the world even knew about it?!?!?

Frostbite needed to buy the others time, if they came aboard and caught the rebel they'd likely make an example of him and the crew. Better still if Frostbite offered himself up and gave the others chance to complete their mission. He didn't like it, but offering himself up as a more favoured prize might well draw both to him since they were competing with each other for recognition. And it might just help him find out who or what is behind this technological leap frog.

OOC:OK so bundle the alien aboard the main ship, then Frostbite will head out toward the fleet, in space at best speed and away from the main ship. If they want him, then they can have him. Although if there is any way they are going to home in on the pirate ship, then he'll either attack them, or distract them or try and fly by them and get them to chase. One scan can probably tell that Frostbite is something worth taking a second look at. Lets hope their overconfidence stops them digging in for the ship and crew.

Sj
Steeple_jackuk
Steeple_jackuk
Cosmic Level

Back to top Go down

The New Vanguard! Frostbite Issue #6 - Toto... - Page 4 Empty Re: The New Vanguard! Frostbite Issue #6 - Toto...

Post  Admin Wed Jul 06 2016, 02:36

Frostbite arranged for a small 'lifeboat' to ship over from his own craft to the space station to pick up the 'rebel' who was still in no fit state after the pummeling he'd had.

Despite protestations from his own crew, he exited the airlock and headed into the void of space mindful that he had somewhere between an hour and two before the hard vacuum would attack him. He was still somewhat surprised that he could survive so long in outer space given that he was primarily earth based and had little experience of space adventure save for the time on the moon against the Nazis (OOC Which seems like years ago!!!).

He'd scooped up what appeared to be a communications device from a panel and with Frostbots help had accessed it.

Now he intended to hand himself over to these Korathi and buy time for his own ship to escape.

Most of his crew were eager to accept the sacrifice their Captain had made, but the small Alien hadn't. "Captain, we need to get out of here! This is your ship, your crew now. If you leave us, it won't be long before they descend into anarchy and infighting, and we'll either tear ourselves apart or be picked up somewhere else without your leadership and powers to guide us!"

The small alien had a point, but this seemed like the best way to buy time for them to jump out of here. Frostbot confirmed it/he had sent coordinates based on known data for the ship to jump to a neighboring system, albeit one that according to the charts had a high level of electromagnetic radiation that might serve to hide the ship while it made repairs following on from its onslaught by the sun in this one.

Then he saw the dots growing larger in his sight!

'Well, here goes nothing' he thought. His powers were far too limited in range to be of much use in outer space unless he got close, so the Korathi had the advantage. He hoped they'd want to take him alive rather than open fire. After all, a prize wasn't much good if it was in a million fragments.

"<Crackle> Prepare for tractor beam, alien." came a voice over the comms. He also heard something else in the background "...nullifier..."

That didn't sound good.

OOC Some of the ships are closing in, but still thousands of miles away right now. The other fleet is somewhat behind them but appears as if they are locked in a race to get to you first. There are several vessels who have broken off from both groups heading towards the space station and your ship. It's touch and go whether your ship can jump away first.
Admin
Admin
Admin

https://darkeningshadows.darkbb.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Steeple_jackuk Wed Jul 06 2016, 08:30

Admin wrote:Most of his crew were eager to accept the sacrifice their Captain had made, but the small Alien hadn't. "Captain, we need to get out of here! This is your ship, your crew now. If you leave us, it won't be long before they descend into anarchy and infighting, and we'll either tear ourselves apart or be picked up somewhere else without your leadership and powers to guide us!"

"That is rather...touching. I thank you for your friendship and hope that things might go better than you expect. However if I don't do this you'll all be killed, this is the best chance you have. Go and don't delay, don't look back and go do something more useful than just surviving on the scraps. You can do better for yourself. Your quick and intelligent, that crew wants money more than anything, with a new ship and that cargo, who knows what possibilities might open up to you. Farewell friend."

It seemed odd to be having their last conversation this way, but Frostbite wasn't going to be afforded the opportunity of a long goodbye. He had to prepare, if the ships coming toward him had some means to nullify his powers then in some way he had to find a way to stay one step ahead. A nullified Frostbite was as good as dead. A specimen to prod, poke and dissect. Frostbot might be able to get aboard the ship, and so be free to help in some way from within if he was to be captured without his powers. It had to be worth a try, after all what else could he do now he'd gambled his life on a desperate bid to free his 'team'.

OOC:Ok so try and download Frostbite to the ship that captures me or one of the others depending on how this works. I am conscious that their nullifier might not work completely, it might indeed be something entirely different knocking me out rather than my powers. But if I am unconscious then I'm as good as powerless anyway with no means of resistance. So sending Frostbot aboard might be the only way to stay alive...lets hope so, not a lot to work with here. I feel like Myguiver with a toothpick and a toothbrush.

Sj

Steeple_jackuk
Steeple_jackuk
Cosmic Level

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Tue Jul 12 2016, 00:10

Frostbot listened to Frostbites instructions and replied 'I shall of course make every effort to secure your release, as my host. If you die, I by association, dissipate. I will however have to get closer to their systems...'

Frostbite looked at the oncoming ships... and then saw a strange bright light emanate from the lead vessel which shot forward with astonishing speed, closing the distance in seconds! It almost took Frostbite by surprise, but the light was strange. As if it didn't hurt the eyes but instead some kind of...

OOC Attack? Yes. But not in the way Frosty thinks!

Mental Freeze power - a beam from the ship designed to dissipate the neural synapses of living foes! Handy on crowds or giant space creatures... or for (very sneakily) capturing enemy ships intact to steal their technology, and in this case capture a superhuman alive!

Roll(2d10)+0: 4,4,+0 Total:8 DOUBLE oh this don't look good... Roll(2d10)+0: 7,6,+0 Total:13 (21) + Mental Freeze 12 (33) vs TN11 + Int 8 (19). HIT +5 Effect (17) vs 8 Mind. 9 RAPs.

Frostbite makes ready to dodge... but his body doesn't respond! He can't move his arms or legs... in fact any command to move makes him hit a mental brick wall!

His mind however is intact, and he is conscious, even as the lead vessel draws in and he sees a hatch opening as they close in to retrieve him...

He also sees more of the fleets ships set off after his own vessel and towards the space station!

Frostbot spoke 'The frequency of the weapon suggests it has somehow interfered with your neural synapses and therefore your ability to move! You may be able to overcome the restraint however. Fight it! But... you may consider hiding any success you have in overcoming the effect whilst you observe your enemy. That is your call.'

OOC An attempt to overcome the freeze effect would be Frostys Int (8) and Will (5) against a TN of 11+ 9 and Resistance of 9 so you'd need a decent roll. Or hero points.
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Steeple_jackuk Tue Jul 12 2016, 08:16

Admin wrote:OOC An attempt to overcome the freeze effect would be Frostys Int (Cool and Will (5) against a TN of 11+ 9 and Resistance of 9 so you'd need a decent roll. Or hero points.

Frostbite thought for a moment, the chance to observe his foe whilst making it seem as if he was unable to move might lend him some opportunity to learn more. It had to be done, too much remained at stake to needlessly give in now.

OOC: Ok lets spend enough HP for two extra dice, and try and make this count. I could hide, but that might only make them suspicious that I had already broken their restraints. Whereas I am thinking if I break the restraints, but appear not to they are going to be less guarded and maybe drop some hints as to what is going on here. However it might be one failed attempt leads to something worse, ie a second attempt comes at a higher resistance or something. SO if the first attempt fails I'd better make sure the second attempt cannot fail. ie unlimited spend of HP - gotta do what you gotta do. If I break free, then the idea is to try and make sure that I can get Frostbot to a place where he can get inside the system and try and help from within.

Sj
Steeple_jackuk
Steeple_jackuk
Cosmic Level

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Tue Jul 12 2016, 23:02

OOC The good news is that you have hero points to burn for two dice. The bad news? That's it, all gone after that (you are due to earn more soon though). So here goes.

Int 8/Will 5 vs TN 11+ OV9 and RV9

Roll(4d10)+0: 1,8,8,5,+0 DOUBLE plus Roll(2d10)+0: 3,10,+0 Total:29 + AV8 (37) vs TN20. +6 Effect (to 11) vs RV9. 2 RAPs. NOT ENOUGH TO BREAK FREE but the effect is cumulative, so you need only 7 more and can keep at it. The bad news (again) is that you need a roll of at least 22 to chisel away with a point at a time.

The next 6 rounds:

Roll(2d10)+0: 7,1,+0 Total:8 FAIL

Roll(2d10)+0: 5,6,+0 Total:11 FAIL

Roll(2d10)+0: 9,3,+0 Total:12 FAIL

Roll(2d10)+0: 4,4,+0 Total:8 DOUBLE plus Roll(2d10)+0: 3,1,+0 Total:4 FAIL

Roll(2d10)+0: 3,10,+0 Total:13 FAIL

Roll(2d10)+0: 8,2,+0 Total:10 FAIL

Frostbot spoke up 'Continue to attempt to resist. I shall await the correct opportunity to act.'

Frostbite could only watch as the craft hovered over him and lowered down, the airlock closing underneath and gravity kicking in, causing him to slap on the floor of the hold! He heard booted feet march into the hold and could just about see they were humanoid and indeed very much human looking. Through the glass of their helmets he also noted something else - they were all either related or cloned!

One stepped up and spoke. Frostbot translated "...scans show the alien is from the 'other' universe sir, with a different universal code to every molecule. Power readings... they redefine what we considered possible for mortal beings sir. This alien has power inside enough to take on a starship, even this one."

"So we got lucky with the neural synaptor ray? I refuse to believe it! That is the most powerful weapon in the universe! No living being can..."

"Uh sir, we burnt the ray out on this one. We need new parts to fix it, and even then..."

There was silence then determined stomping of the officer as he headed out of the bay. "SECURE HIM IN THE MEDLAB. PREP FOR SCAN AND SURGERY!"

Frostbite didn't like the sound of that!

Frostbot enquired 'Would you like me to 'leap' into their computers now? Were I to do so you would lose the translation capabilities I provide'

Frostbite was about to answer when he saw a small label on the underside of a crate in the cargo hold. The logo looked much like a T, and a symbol he'd seen on Earth somewhere, he was sure of it...

Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Steeple_jackuk Wed Jul 13 2016, 08:35

Admin wrote:Frostbot enquired 'Would you like me to 'leap' into their computers now? Were I to do so you would lose the translation capabilities I provide'

Frostbite was about to answer when he saw a small label on the underside of a crate in the cargo hold. The logo looked much like a T, and a symbol he'd seen on Earth somewhere, he was sure of it...

OOC:Oh wow talk about epic fails. Well I don't think Frostbot ought to go anywhere until we know what we're facing and if I am playing dumb, well being dumb until I can get a break, having him translate is the only option open to me to make best use of my prone position at present. Interesting to know they've found it hard to contain me. And the T = Timpson perhaps? Or Timmy? Although if its Timmy, it must mean he'd be involved from the beginning, since the invasion we discovered occurred before I went to investigate Tim's 'death' but if its Timpson, then we've known from the start this guy has his hands in so many pies he must be part octopus.

Frostbite discounted Frostbot's suggestion to go. Since there was little he could do, save try and resist the numbing effect of the stasis beam hearing was the only advantage he had to gain some sort of upper hand. Besides if surgery or some such was about to be performed it was then and not before he might need Frostbot to sabotage things. But he was reluctant to give away his only advantage, Frostbot's presence might be detected and serve as a new target. One that Frostbite was reluctant to let happen especially whilst laid out like he was.

Returning to the task at hand, he once again sort to gather his mental energies and strive to overcome the limitations placed on his body by the beam.

OOC: Out of interest am I defrosted and depowered, or remain frosted and otherwise without power? I only ask because I am wondering how the beam has worked. If I am frosted then I might also be hardened and cold two factors that limit me, if I remain cold maybe also the beam has only stunned my ability to use my muscles to move. My powers, like cold might remain on and I might still be able to passively freeze things bringing more delay and time to beat this block. Wonder how many more die I need to roll...get comfy could be a while with my track record affraid

Sj

Steeple_jackuk
Steeple_jackuk
Cosmic Level

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Wed Jul 20 2016, 22:37

OOC The power is Mental Freeze which disrupts your minds ability to talk to your body and thus keeps you immobile. It doesn't turn off your powers as such, but unless your energy beam comes from your eyes (it comes from Frostys hands as far as I know) or some body part that doesn't need to move, he's snookered.

HOWEVER... Just because Frostbite can't move doesn't mean he's helpless. He has a bunch of powers he can turn on and off with his mind. For instance Ice Production. Should he wish it he could create ice from his own body/hands and fill the hold around him. Weather control, Dispersal, Ice Control... Have a think.

Guards came into the hold watching Frostbites inert form with their weapons.

The hero pondered the 'T' symbol and was convinced it was some kind of corporate logo. Presumably not 'Timmy' then as he recalled the unfortunate heroes' demise and subsequent resurrection. Robots the size of gorillas (relatively speaking) came in to gather up Frostbites body as he lay there.

Frostbot offered 'Aha! A way out perchance! A robotic form! I do so enjoy the freedom it gives, albeit the temporary nature tempers my enthusiasm somewhat. It seems the robots I inhabit can best be described as 'fragile'. Say the word and I can be in them, causing mayhem and creating a diversion. Unless you prefer to observe and bide your time...'

OOC Another three attempts to chisel away at the hold...

Roll(2d10)+0: 10,10,+0 Total:20 BOOM! Double plus Roll(2d10)+0: 2,8,+0 Total:30 + int 8 vs TN20. +6 Effect (to 11) vs RV9= 2RAPs

Roll(2d10)+0: 1,5,+0 Total:6 FAIL

Roll(2d10)+0: 3,7,+0 Total:10 FAIL

FROSTBITE NEEDS TO GET ANOTHER 5 RAPs TO BE FREE OF THE FREEZE RAY EFFECT
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Steeple_jackuk Thu Jul 21 2016, 16:01

Admin wrote:Frostbot offered 'Aha! A way out perchance! A robotic form! I do so enjoy the freedom it gives, albeit the temporary nature tempers my enthusiasm somewhat. It seems the robots I inhabit can best be described as 'fragile'. Say the word and I can be in them, causing mayhem and creating a diversion. Unless you prefer to observe and bide your time...'

'Good point, but if I let you go too early I might not be able to take advantage of the ability to listen in and find out more both about what is going on and what we can do about it. Besides if we need to give our friends a chance to escape I'd rather make that play knowing a bit more about what is going on here. At least with these robots about we know we can make a play for using you. I think their grip on me is weakening, it only seems to be affecting my body, not my other powers. Though I can't aim my frost ray at them, I can make use of the other abilities I have all of which might come in useful when its time to make a break for it.' Frostbite said to Frostbot, their direct thought connection made it easier for Frostbite to flash across a whole conversation in but a blink with a thought.

Again he tried to resist the mind freeze, whilst keeping his ears and other senses alert to the conversation and environment they'd brought him into. He had no doubt they'd want to examine him, perhaps gloat at some point. He was unlikely to be left alone for too long, before they made some kind of move necessary on his part.

OOC:Ok so lets see if we can get and glean information as best we can, and then we'll see what we can do about breaking out. Meanwhile let's keep chipping away at this Freeze ray grip on us. After that double two more fails seems par for the Frostbite course ;-)

Sj

Steeple_jackuk
Steeple_jackuk
Cosmic Level

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Sun Jul 24 2016, 23:32

OOC Frostbite continues to chip away at the mental freeze.

Whilst considering the ramifications of what such a weapon would do on Earth - able to flatten armies with a single blast, and even take out superhuman foes - Frostbite continued to battle against it.

He watched the ceiling as he was wheeled through the ship on an anti gravity gurney, and listened to the guards chatting away...

'...has it that the leaders have made a deal with otherworlders. That's how we got this technology. They say we traded the White Dwarf material for the tech and that we will gain the upper hand not just in this quadrant, but the universe itself!'

'...I heard that the cloning project was not only back on track, but churning out clones by the thousands. Why? I mean, we follow orders, right? They still need feeding and clothing, arming and training. I don't get it, unless they don't have to pay them wages...'

'Wages? Ha! if we ever get chance to set foot off this ship we're rich men, but when was the last shore leave? What's the point of getting paid if you can't spend it?'

'True. It's like they keep us happy with the promise of wages, but dangle it like a <unintelligible> in front of our noses to keep us loyal. Say, do you know that Commander from Proteus Section 9? He was tossed out of the airlock last week for suggesting that maybe we should talk to our enemies and find common ground instead of using this new technology to frazzle them. It kind of made sense what he was saying, I mean, I heard four independent systems declared themselves our enemies just this week.'

OOC Rolls...

Int 8/Will 5 vs OV/RV 9 (TN20) with 5RAPs still to obtain to free himself.

Roll(2d10)+0: 10,7,+0 Total:17 FAIL
Roll(2d10)+0: 8,9,+0 Total:17 FAIL
Roll(2d10)+0: 3,2,+0 Total:5 FAIL
Roll(2d10)+0: 10,7,+0 Total:17 FAIL
Roll(2d10)+0: 3,3,+0 Total:6 DOUBLE plus Roll(2d10)+0:4,10,+0 Total:20 FAIL
Roll(2d10)+0: 8,7,+0 Total:15 FAIL
Roll(2d10)+0: 6,8,+0 Total:14 FAIL
Roll(2d10)+0: 7,3,+0 Total:10 FAIL
Roll(2d10)+0: 7,10,+0 Total:17 FAIL

OOF that makes for grim reading...

Frostbite wondered how he was doing. Then he noticed his stomach lurch as a lift went up. He was pushed out again, constantly trying to break free whilst listening to the disgruntled guards chatter. Sounded like they weren't best pleased by their current situation which seemed to be:

1) No way to spend their money
2) The new tech they used was turning independents against them, in addition to their established/traditional enemies
3) Clones might be used to replace them - what then for disgruntled wage slaves?
4) Speaking out got you a one way ticket out the airlock...

Frostbite saw more lights pass overhead, doors swished, and more pushing. Then bright lights all around and being lifted onto another gurney with metal restraints being applied to his chest, neck, arms and legs. Reasonably secure but he was strong and had other tricks up his sleeve so he wasn't worried - yet.

Then he noticed the viewing window all around this ... operating theatre? Uh oh. Robotic arms moved into view from the ceiling, and waited, as if for a command to begin. Footsteps as the guards filed away. Muffled voices behind the mirrored glass of the viewing area....

Time was running out, and he felt no closer to being free!
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Steeple_jackuk Mon Jul 25 2016, 11:30

Admin wrote:Time was running out, and he felt no closer to being free!

OOC:I cannot believe how many fails you got there. That is priceless, I'm like the super powered equivilent of bad luck man. Instead of causing negative probabilities to others I only suffer them myself. Wow that has to be some new low. Are you sure you've not already put that on my character sheet and forgot to tell me. Or do you think the name Frostbite, means all the dice (even digital) are cool to frozen when it comes to life or death situations. Oh well, that seems to be the least of Frostbite's worries given the metal robotic arms. The disgruntled low moral, might be something we can use later on. But it has to be handled carefully, don't want a failed coup attempt like we've seen recently.

Frostbite didn't seem to be making progress weakening the mental freeze ray and time was fast running out. He knew that Frostbot could, in all likelihood take over all the electronics in this place. Most of which or a fair degree of which seemed to be being given for the muscle this force could supply. However what good would that do if he couldn't break free to take advantage of it.

Passing on the thoughts to Frostbot, that if the worst came to the worst, he might have to leap bodies and take over the electronics whilst Frostbite rallied and tried to break the remaining block on his immobility.

OOC: Ok so Frostbot on standby, if i need him to take over the electronics then he'll do so but only when absolutely necessary. Plan B if that fails is to freeze the entire space big time. So nothing can move, but in the meantime I need to break free. With No HP to use, its all down to them sticky digital die. And over to you mate, roll me some good un's Frostbite's life may depend on it.

Sj
Steeple_jackuk
Steeple_jackuk
Cosmic Level

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Fri Jul 29 2016, 23:10

OOC Yup a roll of 22 required, which is tricky on 2D10 but with doubles should come up every now and again. Here we go...

A scientist type in overalls came into the room, complete with breathing apparatus and a kind of computer tablet in hand, albeit one that would have manufacturers on Earth scratching their heads as it projected a 3D display an inch or two above its surface.

Machines whirred into life as Frostbot mentioned to its host 'They are scanning you in a kind of 'pre operation' way. I expect they will attempt to take samples of your epidermis. Initially they will fail. This will buy us time. Your skin is impervious to anything short of a bazooka shell.'

Frostbite continued to try to force his body to move... A robotic arm with a scanner attachment lit up and started tracking across his body with a green light from the feet up.

OOC Half a dozen checks...

Roll(2d10)+0:10,6,+0 Total:16 FAIL
Roll(2d10)+0:5,5,+0 Total:10 DOUBLE PLUS Roll(2d10)+0: 6,6,+0 Total:22 DOUBLE (might be getting somewhere...) PLUS Roll(2d10)+0:
2,7,+0 Total:31 +8 Int (39) SUCCESS +6 EV (to 11) vs RV9=2 RAPs
Roll(2d10)+0:4,6,+0 Total:10 FAIL
Roll(2d10)+0:10,4,+0 Total:14 FAIL
Roll(2d10)+0:5,10,+0 Total:15 FAIL
Roll(2d10)+0:7,2,+0 Total:9 FAIL

The Mental Freeze total stands now at 3 points... nearly there. When at zero, the hold is broken. However...

With the scan complete the scientist waved in a team of similarly clad people. They brought with them what could only be described as implements designed to break into something, which they set about with on Frostbites skin immediately! Drills blunted, lasers tickled - at first - and acid sizzled with little effect, but Frostbot announced more of the same, albeit heavier duty by the looks, was being brought along the corridors.

'Any success in breaking the hold?' enquired Frostbot. 'At this rate they will have employed the more extreme measures in the next few minutes. Oh.'

Frostbite saw out of the corner of his eye a floating platform with a large, powerful looking laser type attachment that looked capable of generating a powerful beam! The scientist was blathering away to the assembled watchers behind the glass and the scientists in the room, expanding on theories and possibilities for Frostbites amazing abilities.

Meanwhile the man himself tried his best to break free!

OOC Here we go. A dozen attempts before that laser gets to work...

Roll(2d10)+0:8,6,+0 Total:14 FAIL
Roll(2d10)+0:8,9,+0 Total:17 FAIL
Roll(2d10)+0:4,7,+0 Total:11 FAIL
Roll(2d10)+0:9,9,+0 Total:18 DOUBLE PLUS Roll(2d10)+0:10,9,+0 Total:37 plus Int 8 (45) +7 EV (12) vs RV9=3RAPs. SUCCESS!
Roll(2d10)+0:3,1,+0 Total:4 FAIL
Roll(2d10)+0:5,1,+0 Total:6 FAIL
Roll(2d10)+0:5,5,+0 Total:10 DOUBLE plus Roll(2d10)+0: 7,4,+0 Total:21 FAIL
Roll(2d10)+0:6,10,+0 Total:16 FAIL
Roll(2d10)+0:5,3,+0 Total:8 FAIL
Roll(2d10)+0:5,1,+0 Total:6 FAIL
Roll(2d10)+0:10,7,+0 Total:17 FAIL
Roll(2d10)+0: 7,8,+0 Total:15 FAIL

Frostbite was near despairing! It was clear that he could not break free from...

A finger moved.

He blinked. Did one of the aliens notice? one of the scientists, a female from the looks, had been listening to the chief scientist but now was staring at the form on the gurney... Frostbite was FREE of the rays effects! What now though...?
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Steeple_jackuk Sat Jul 30 2016, 19:07

Admin wrote:A finger moved.

He blinked. Did one of the aliens notice? one of the scientists, a female from the looks, had been listening to the chief scientist but now was staring at the form on the gurney... Frostbite was FREE of the rays effects! What now though...?

'Finally!' Frostbite thought to himself and made sure that Frostbot caught the intention. 'Might be time for you to go and take a good look around, my friend. Not only do we need a way out of this. But also a way to find our friends. I am wondering if there is any evidence of them aboard, certainly these aliens show a great thirst for knowledge of my type of people. But first perhaps it might be wise to break something here. I don't want to give the game away too early. Lets see if they can delay cutting me open, perhaps a catastrophic power failure or gas leak or something. Try to be subtle, but quick! You know the routine.'

Not that Frostbite was expecting too much, but he wanted to still take the time to play his cards to his chest. If things got delayed such that he had to be kept rather than operated on, it might afford Frostbot more time to get what information could be had. Breaking out would perhaps only scupper that and quick. Besides if he was going to break out, with a ship full of aliens, discontent but still kept in line by fear he might need a bit more time to turn things his way. And he sure hoped that despite his agonising efforts to break free, things might just swing his way.

Sj
Steeple_jackuk
Steeple_jackuk
Cosmic Level

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Mon Aug 08 2016, 22:24

OOC Strewth kids off means time is at a premium. All day at theme park and finally little one off to bed, with the older ones birthday yesterday sucking up more time than planned. Doh. Anyway, play on!

Frostbot acknowledged 'Diversion coming up'

The lights went out in the room, then a series of sparks and bangs went off as fuses blew! Confused shouting, calls for calm and as a result the exact opposite as somewhere an alarm blared and someone produced a form of fire extinguisher which filled the area with a fine powder!

Someone fell over, squealed, and another shouted 'Secure the prisoner!' before colliding with a scientist and going down in a flurry of arms and legs!

Frostbite had at least 15-20 seconds to act as the area was pandemonium. He couldn't see any better in the dark than anyone else BUT he could see the heat images given off by those in the room... and noticed that the scientists were considerably warmer than the couple of soldiers moving about, who were eerily identical in heat pattern! More confirmation they used clones or at least genetically modified troopers.

OOC Feel free to act, but it's dark and the various confusing heat sources mean your thermal vision picks out the living stuff in here with every chance still of bumping into other stuff - unless you disperse or used fluid form.

Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Steeple_jackuk Tue Aug 09 2016, 08:28

Admin wrote:OOC Feel free to act, but it's dark and the various confusing heat sources mean your thermal vision picks out the living stuff in here with every chance still of bumping into other stuff - unless you disperse or used fluid form.

Frostbite decided against going into his dispersed form until it was strictly necessary. He didn't want to complicate things any more than necessary and moving about in this way meant he could still interact with things if need be. Slipping out of the prone position he'd been forced to endure for so long, he moved effortlessly in this more cohesive if somewhat unstable state. It certainly took getting used to, something he'd not had much chance to do. But at least, with Frostbot's activities at work, he could be sure there was little chance that his escape and change might be detected easily.

Slipping around the lab, he moved to the door, seeking to dispatch the guards only if necessary. Preferring to slip by if possible in the confusion. The question then would be what he do next?

OOC: Ok so try and slip out, and allow Frostbot to continue to communicate with the ship and find out as much as he could from that place. From there I think it would be good to know if I've got any helpful options. Raising up an discontent army to strike back, is probably going to be a tall order given my alien and unknown status. I guess I could try and lie low and find out where we are being taken before slipping off the ship into a bigger place to loose myself. Or I could try and get away in a fast ship...having had Frostbot disable the ships first. Get them to attack each other, or go into lock down so they're stalled for a while type of thing. Trouble is I am still flying blind. I've very little idea of what I've walked into, whom are the players and where - more importantly are the my people. Helping gain some insight into that might go someway to helping me make a decision as to what I do next. If all else fails sitting tight and waiting till options become clearer might be my best option at present.

Sj

Steeple_jackuk
Steeple_jackuk
Cosmic Level

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Thu Aug 11 2016, 22:43

As a partially solidified 'snowman' Frostbite slurped and slooped his way over and around the gurneys and equipment in the operating theatre.

It was easy to miss the confused stumblings of those inside the room which quickly transformed into shouting and even wild firing of laser weapons!

'Interesting. There appears to be something else in their mainframe. Beyond the alien code. It is almost as if there is... Human code? It is attempting to track me. I shall endeavour to lead it a merry chase and turn the tables...' stated Frostbot.

Frostbite noted the cooler area of the open doorway and headed for it, waiting as several scientists bundled each other over... then he was in the corridor. Emergency lighting meant Frostbite lost his advantage and knew he'd be seen sooner rather than later. He pulsed a thought out to frostbot but got no answer... damn!

Moving down the corridor he glanced around. Alarms blaring, emergency red lights strobing... sounds of clattering feet and shouting. The corridor led up to a crossroads and the straight on was a set of steps down, but then the sounds of feet were coming towards the crossroads...

Just then he noticed a terminal on the wall and while he didn't understand the workings, figured it may be of use. Placing a hand on it he pulsed.

'Ah yes. The code I have encountered is not only hostile, it is self learning and clever. I seal off several hardware areas and it unseals them whilst sealing another. I believe it is trying to trap me, and indeed... it has just replicated, making 'ghosts' of itself to confuse me' said Frostbot. 'I have however gleaned more information from the mainframe. This ship is a medium sized 'cruiser' type. The 'mother' ship, a flagship of considerable size, is heading for this system and has, I believe one or more of your companions aboard. They are referred to as Outworlders. They are en route to this system and clearly has a special means of containing superhumans - beyond that used to capture you. How they came across this technology is unclear but it appears another hand is at work here, helping these aliens win power in their own universe in exchange for...?'

Frostbot was silent for a moment 'It appears the game has changed. The mainframe and the rogue program are making all efforts necessary to capture me. Would you like me to return to you or risk further investigation into the records of these aliens?'
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Steeple_jackuk Mon Aug 15 2016, 21:44

Admin wrote:Frostbot was silent for a moment 'It appears the game has changed. The mainframe and the rogue program are making all efforts necessary to capture me. Would you like me to return to you or risk further investigation into the records of these aliens?'

Frostbite summoned Frostbot back, although he was more than capable, at the same time he didn't need to give anymore away than was strictly necessary. Why give the real enemy behind this any more clues as to what he had up his sleeve? No the best bet would be to let the ship take him to where the others were and to do at best speed. Frostbot could probably work to help him conceal himself within the ship, or find a way to get to the planet without the ship if need be. The alternative would be to take the ship, in any case he needed to avoid capture and didn't want to make things any more difficult than they already where.

With Frostbot aboard, Frostbite tried the pulsating plate, whilst he allowed Frostbot to 'settle in.' 'I'd love to know who is behind all this, a human mind with a human hand at work. But there are many possibilities, I just wish we knew who?' Frostbite confided to Frostbot. But right now his priority was avoiding capture and staying out of harms way. Easier said than done though.

Sj
Steeple_jackuk
Steeple_jackuk
Cosmic Level

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Tue Aug 23 2016, 09:11

'Bearing in mind that many of the corridors have their own form of video surveillance, they will be expecting to be able to track you. They are mistaken.' stated Frostbot inside Frostbites head. 'I shall guide you to avoid them, and where they cannot be avoided, I shall simply turn a number of them off at random.'

Minutes later Frostbite was safely hidden behind an access panel watching groups of soldiers jog through corridors. Frostbot had shown its mischievous side by directing groups of soldiers into each other, with a resulting crash of bodies, weapons and cries of anger and confusion.

'They know we are here, no point in pretending otherwise. The question is, what is our next move? Suggested courses of action are:'

1) Risk detection/encounter to find out more about these aliens and the hand that guides/supplies/enforces them
2) wait it out until the mother ship comes into the system, then transfer there and look for Frostbites kidnapped team
3) take the battle to the aliens and attack the ships key systems, forcing them to stop, and perhaps even negotiate?
4) find some means to escape from the ship, though this would be very risky, especially with that debilitating beam that literally 'turned off' his ability to move - doubtless it had been used (or a version of it) on his comrades
5) Something else - Frostbite has shown himself to 'think outside the box' and whilst Frostbot was loathe to admit it didn't cover all of the possibilities with it's artificial mind, no matter how advanced it was...
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Steeple_jackuk Wed Aug 24 2016, 07:44

Admin wrote:'Bearing in mind that many of the corridors have their own form of video surveillance, they will be expecting to be able to track you. They are mistaken.' stated Frostbot inside Frostbites head. 'I shall guide you to avoid them, and where they cannot be avoided, I shall simply turn a number of them off at random.'

Minutes later Frostbite was safely hidden behind an access panel watching groups of soldiers jog through corridors. Frostbot had shown its mischievous side by directing groups of soldiers into each other, with a resulting crash of bodies, weapons and cries of anger and confusion.

'They know we are here, no point in pretending otherwise. The question is, what is our next move? Suggested courses of action are:'

1) Risk detection/encounter to find out more about these aliens and the hand that guides/supplies/enforces them
2) wait it out until the mother ship comes into the system, then transfer there and look for Frostbites kidnapped team
3) take the battle to the aliens and attack the ships key systems, forcing them to stop, and perhaps even negotiate?
4) find some means to escape from the ship, though this would be very risky, especially with that debilitating beam that literally 'turned off' his ability to move - doubtless it had been used (or a version of it) on his comrades
5) Something else - Frostbite has shown himself to 'think outside the box' and whilst Frostbot was loathe to admit it didn't cover all of the possibilities with it's artificial mind, no matter how advanced it was...

As Frostbite considered his options he didn't like much of what was before him. He was already in a risky position and being hunted. However he had, as Frostbot reminded him a few cards yet to play in this hand. Learning more from the aliens or about his friends was his preferred option. Moreover, if he could learn more it might help him if he decided to take over the ship, or negotiate. In other words, this course of action left open the possibilities of other actions, as long as Frostbot could maintain a semblance of cover, he might be able to yet turn this around in his favour.

Sj
Steeple_jackuk
Steeple_jackuk
Cosmic Level

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Tue Aug 30 2016, 09:36

Alarms continued to blare as Frostbite used his more stealthy abilities to move about undetected.

Frostbot continued to update him whenever sensors nearby looked in his direction, and in some cases simply turned them off. Literally he was the 'ghost' in the machine, especially since whilst dispersed anything that seemed like a motion sensor would simply detect nothing wherever he was.

The hero moved through the ship and noted the locations of several key places:

1) The engine room. Monitored by half a dozen staff it would be an easy place for Frostbite to start were he to try and disable the craft. There was a large pulsing cylinder in the middle of the room that doubtless created and supplied the energy needed to power the engines.

2) The brig. Not only where the cells were, but the control room - manned by two staff - where the cells could be opened and closed. They appeared to have some kind of 'energy door' across an apparently open doorway which would doubtless be nigh on impenetrable.

3) The bridge. This was a busy, bustling place with 30 or more staff and half a dozen security guards, armed and armoured but probably of little threat to Frostbite. He couldn't spend too much time - literally seconds - poking his head through the wall for a glance and back out. One staff member blinked and did a double take thinking she'd seen something out of the corner of her eye, but he was gone.

4) The nullifying weapon. It was inoperative, with sparking wires and smoking parts complete with technicians swarming over it, dismantling the broken bits and figuring out how to get them working again. A quick count up showed twenty staff on it. They clearly thought it was important.

5) The shuttle bay. There were four shuttles in here which were the size of large earthbound vans. Not enough to get all the crew off, so there must be ... what, life buoys of some kind or... or no way for all the staff to evacuate in an emergency? Frostbite was starting to get the idea this regime placed little value on the lives of its crew.

'The 'mother ship' has entered the far side of the system and the crew are still on high alert. In addition the computer systems have been locked out. I can still access minor systems but to get into the major functions of the craft - weapons, navigation, propulsion/steering, life support - you will need to directly physically access a panel. This craft has turned and made best speed towards the mother ship...' said Frostbot

Frostbite had a bad feeling about this. How badly did this 'mother ship' want to capture him, given the backstabbing nature of the enemy he was dealing with...?

Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Steeple_jackuk Thu Sep 01 2016, 09:46

Admin wrote: 5) The shuttle bay. There were four shuttles in here which were the size of large earthbound vans. Not enough to get all the crew off, so there must be ... what, life buoys of some kind or... or no way for all the staff to evacuate in an emergency? Frostbite was starting to get the idea this regime placed little value on the lives of its crew.

'The 'mother ship' has entered the far side of the system and the crew are still on high alert. In addition the computer systems have been locked out. I can still access minor systems but to get into the major functions of the craft - weapons, navigation, propulsion/steering, life support - you will need to directly physically access a panel. This craft has turned and made best speed towards the mother ship...' said Frostbot

Frostbite had a bad feeling about this. How badly did this 'mother ship' want to capture him, given the backstabbing nature of the enemy he was dealing with...?

Frostbite once again considered his options, his best bet lay in confusion. That had worked so far, but it would only be a matter of time before things went from bad to worse. Turning once again to his trusty digital friend, Frostbot, Frostbite asked as series of questions regarding the shuttles.

'Well old friend this is another fine pickle, we've got ourselves in. We're in deeper than Pa's prize pig in tar. Do you think we could override these shuttles and get them to fly off. Perhaps mimic lifesigns on them - to suggest that either I or the ship was being abandoned? Perhaps if we can create an emergency and give the impression we slipped off with one of the shuttles? That should create enough confusion, perhaps then we could board the mother ship unnoticed? What do you think?' It took but a moment to flash the thought to Frostbot in terms without words, but it seemed to take an age for Frostbot to reply. And all the while the mother ship was bearing down on them, with the net potentially closing in on Frostbite tighter and tighter.

OOC:Sorry for the delay in responding, combination of business and my daughter hogging the computer when I was free meant I couldn't reply till now.

Sj
Steeple_jackuk
Steeple_jackuk
Cosmic Level

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Fri Sep 09 2016, 09:07

OOC no worries on delays mate - you know the eggs I've been juggling for a while. Every time I think things will get easier with more time I have to figure in work as well Sad Some of the places (ok, most) I have my work break at are lousy for internet access Sad Anyway, on with the show. if I don't get both updates done this morning, will be for sure this evening, and will see what else needs updating too.

Good idea on the shuttles by the way - that didn't occur to me!

Frostbot paused for a moment 'An excellent plan. Whilst I appear to have been 'thinking' with that pause, I have in fact hacked into the automated systems of each of the shuttles. Bearing in mind the bay doors will be closed after the first shuttle leaves, and overriden to 'lock' the second and third shuttles shall simply ram it, and breach the hull. The remaining shuttles shall have random lifesigns showing. The last one shall have a single lifesign and I have modulated it so that it appears to approximate the readings they got form you in the lab'.

'Now all we have to do is wait' added Frostbot.

The waiting was perhaps the worst. Frostbite was in little danger individually from the soldiers on board, but Frostbot had intimated there were systems it could not crack without physical contact and that there was the potential of having to break through a force field. He might be able to do that, but it would slow him down, and if that ray were to be...

'Not to interrupt your reverie but it appears that the work to restore the synapse disruption ray is almost complete, with a number of modifications. The damage was so extensive that it cannot be directed as a focused beam any more. Instead they plan to flood the ship and render everyone on board immobile save those on the bridge. However, my calculations show that the level of radiation required will actually kill the rest of the crew.' stated Frostbot.

'The question is simple - when do you wish me to activate the shuttles? When that occurs it might serve to disrupt the work on the synapse ray but the mother ship may still be so far away that you will have to fly across open space to get to it, then break through whatever defensive shields they have. They are likely to have a synapse ray. If you wait for the mother ship to get closer they may have time to complete work on the ray.'

Frostbite didn't need telling what the potential effects of that would be!

OOC So, mother ship closing in, synapse ray about to flood the ship, when does Frosty throw a spanner in the works?

Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Steeple_jackuk Sun Sep 11 2016, 16:31

Admin wrote:'Not to interrupt your reverie but it appears that the work to restore the synapse disruption ray is almost complete, with a number of modifications. The damage was so extensive that it cannot be directed as a focused beam any more. Instead they plan to flood the ship and render everyone on board immobile save those on the bridge. However, my calculations show that the level of radiation required will actually kill the rest of the crew.' stated Frostbot.

Frostbite didn't like the sound of that. A soldier by training and profession, the thought of having to kill an enemy wasn't one he relished. But the thought of the whole crew being killed, just to catch him. Well that put a different slant on things.

'Frostbot is there anyway we can turn the tables on this thing. So that the one place the higher ups will gather is the one place that gets zapped rather than the rest of the ship. I want to try and protect the crew and let the beam take out those on the bridge. Then we can see about seizing the ship. What do you think ole buddy?'. Frostbite said in the vault of his mind, so that Frostbot alone could see and hear what he had in mind.

If the crew were just so much expendable material, in the pursuit of one captive, then it was perhaps time to literally turn the tables and see if he can't gain some allies in this war.

Sj
Steeple_jackuk
Steeple_jackuk
Cosmic Level

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Wed Sep 14 2016, 18:55

'An interesting prospect. Unfortunately you will have to access the weapon systems for me to transfer to that mainframe because of the security lockdown. I sense that is your preferred course of action and that trying to dissuade you will only waste time we do not have. With that in mind travel 10m in the direction you now face then phase through three floors down. That will have you emerge into the weapons room.' stated Frostbot.

Frostbite did so, peeking in first.

The weapons room was teeming with scientists, technicians and soldiers. Clearly this had been assigned the highest of priorities. Some of the soldiers were different, and wore exo skeletons with pipes and tubes plugged directly into the wearer, making them a cyborg of sorts.

'Those enhanced soldiers are new. It appears that a suit that a mechanised infantryman might wear has been hastily adapted to better integrate with the wearer. Without enough time to evaluate the risks and introduced safeguards, it would seem likely that the wearers of those suits have shortened their lifespans considerably - down to weeks, possibly less. Removing the equipment will only kill them faster.' said Frostbot in a voice devoid of emotion.

There were half a dozen of them scattered about the room. Nigh on 8 feet tall, bulky, armoured and with the alien equivalent of a mini gun mounted on their back, it was clear they might present a challenge to the superhero. The standard soldiers numbered around 10, but even they seemed nervous around the cyborgs. The technicians and scientists looked on with undisguised fear as they concentrated as best they could on the task.

The weapon itself had been a large cannon of sorts, but with its guts opened and wires and pipes trailing from it, seemed more like a bomb now.

Frostbites' problems seemed to mount. The cyborgs were the main problem, then he needed to convince the others in here he was on their side - unless he incapacitated all of them and relied upon Frostbot to change the target of the 'bomb'. The crew members he could - maybe - persuade, since it was clear they had no love for the cyborgs watching them.

The Cyborgs? There would be only one way to persuade them. Could Frostbite take six on at once?
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Steeple_jackuk Wed Sep 14 2016, 19:24

Admin wrote:The Cyborgs? There would be only one way to persuade them. Could Frostbite take six on at once?

Frostbite had been sneaking around and taking things so carefully, it was clear that the way things had worked out that everyone was fearing failure and having to suffering the consequences. The haste with which they'd 'press ganged' soldiers into becoming these cyborgs made it clear that the highers ups treated those beneath them with contempt for fear of their own lives. But fear got you only so far, before worms turned.

Having little to lose, Frostbite decided to take the direct approach. After all time was running out.

"I'M ONLY GOING TO SAY THIS ONCE STOP WHAT YOU ARE DOING OR DIE!!!"

Frostbite knew some foolhardy overly confident soul might try and still have a go and so his fist was raised to deep freeze the first cyborg or scientist who thought they'd try and impress the higher ups.

OOC:OK first person to move gets a full blast, so they know I am not kidding. And my aim is to freeze this thing and smash it if at all possible. Assuming that I get let in...I am also thinking that I will start talking along the lines off..."Well know since you've clearly not done enough to stop me, the higher ups are going to reason you're mutineering with me. So best make the most of it, if you're dead men already. Don't you think?

Sj
Steeple_jackuk
Steeple_jackuk
Cosmic Level

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 4 of 6 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next