The Vanguard Play by Post Roleplaying Game
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The New Vanguard! Frostbite Issue #6 - Toto...

2 posters

Page 2 of 6 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Go down

The New Vanguard! Frostbite Issue #6 - Toto... - Page 2 Empty Re: The New Vanguard! Frostbite Issue #6 - Toto...

Post  Steeple_jackuk Sun Mar 20 2016, 17:10

Admin wrote:Just then as Frostbite considered his next action, the spaceship he'd just left started to fire it's weapons...

Except the weapons seemed weak and firing in a strange way... He could have sworn the guns were 'stuttering' in some way... in fact...

.- -... --- .- .-. -..

OOC Feel free to use the internet to figure out what this means... Frosty will know this sort of thing from his adventures and his past life... Smile

He glanced at the torpedoes, inbound... what was he going to do? Only seconds to decide!!!

"Aboard!" OOC: That is what the morse code translator made of this That is what they seemed to be saying. Hmm, he wasn't about to abandon those who had rescued him he still had some sort of debt to honour on some level.

OOC: Ok not sure what to make of this, going aboard the ship is suicide, but not going to abandon the aliens. However if Frostbite went aboard since they are trying to communicate with me might the new aliens turn the torps around? I personally don't know but going to try and get to the ship and protect it as best as Frostbite can. So I'll have him aim to get in front of or slow or stop the missiles anyway he can. Getting aboard the aliens ships is not a way to go since that won't protect my 'friends' and honour my debt to them.

So if this is looking impossible then its time to burn the whole lot of HP to protect them and hope they can get out of the system before things going so badly that there is nothing left to do. This is going to be do or die, since Frostbite is honour bound to protect them at least as best as he can. No good rescuing his friends if he can't live with himself for having betrayed someone to do it!!!

Not that I want to Suicide Frostbite and in truth this might be beyond him to change anything, but Frostbot is also aboard the alien ship and so Frostbite is going to do whatever he can. However I might have got this wrong, so interpret this as you see as fair.

Sj

Steeple_jackuk
Steeple_jackuk
Cosmic Level

Back to top Go down

The New Vanguard! Frostbite Issue #6 - Toto... - Page 2 Empty Re: The New Vanguard! Frostbite Issue #6 - Toto...

Post  Admin Wed Mar 23 2016, 00:39

With his knowledge of Morse Code from World War II, Frostbite correctly deduced the message Frostbot (it could be not other) had sent using the ships weapons...

Which quite frankly, looked either feeble or practically non functional!

He sped back, as quick as he could, to the ship, knowing the Torpedoes were on his tail!

As he got closer, he scanned for an airlock... Nothing! What...?

Glancing over his shoulder, he saw the points of light getting bigger! There was no way to...

A crack of light appeared in the hull of the ramshackle, pieced together space vessel! There! Speeding to it he heard the door hiss shut behind him then was thrown against the walls of the airlock as the ship lurched! had they been hit?

The 'lock cycled and the small alien (relatively speaking) stood on the other side, offering Frostbite a hand up. He spoke "You <unintelligible> the ship. We have somehow managed to make the <unintelligible> work and we have jumped away! Our lives are saved! For now. <unintelligible> the authorities are tracking us. We must make repairs as best we can in order to <unintelligible>."

The pair made their way to the bridge where Frostbite saw the aliens whooping and hollering, rather than hard at work repairing. Frostbite moved over to a screen. The alien script on it blurred and warped into English. Frostbot!

"These aliens, for all their knowledge of technology, have limited intelligence and imagination. They take broken things and add it to their broken things. Eventually it will fail. I have activated the jump drive, which kindly informed me it has one jump in it before it explodes, so took the liberty of scanning the database to find a suitable location. Unfortunately there were none. Instead the system we shall jump into is mostly occupied by an asteroid belt, with several space stations and communities situated on larger asteroids. It has a reputation of being... hostile... to outsiders. I advise caution."

Out of the frying pan into the fire?

=========

(Translated)

"Track that ship!" shouted the creature on the bridge of the pursuing vessels. "Replay the footage! There! Who... what is that? A prize for the taking and one our cloning vats shall churn out in their millions! Best speed! After them!"

The fleet gave chase!
Admin
Admin
Admin

https://darkeningshadows.darkbb.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Steeple_jackuk Wed Mar 23 2016, 08:14

Admin wrote:Out of the frying pan into the fire?

The fleet gave chase!

OOC: Ah should read posts properly, I thought the morse code message came from the aggressors! Hence the tone of my reply, as I read this post I went doh! No wonder I was being instructed to get aboard. Feel like a numpty. Anyway...

Frostbite was keen to find out what Frostbot could do, now that he clearly had some understanding of the ship and its needs. But given that they were only jumping into what might yet be another dead end, they needed options fast.

OOC:
I am assuming to some degree that these aliens on this ship do not negotiate but take what they want. However given the nature of their predicament I am wondering if we could try and go shopping get some needed equipment whilst hiding out and then jump again. However I don't know what options we have and even if that is realistic. I mean if we can't buy stuff - hostile aliens or have nothing of value to buy with. If the enemy pursuit gets here before can get stuff, no point in trying. Or in this asteroid field might there be parts to scavenge in time for us to either jump out in an abandoned ship, or using said parts of abandoned ships to jury rig this ship to get out? As it stands we've jumped and fried our ships engine, perhaps the only other option is to abandon ship, go our separate ways and try to avoid capture? Not sure where to go with this and do not want to jump down a certain route that is pointless/not workable before making a decision with some more facts as I might know them.

Therefore I'll get with Frostbot, find out what our options are and either tell the aliens, they can make their own decision and I go, or we stay together and work out how to get out of the mess we're currently in.

Sj
Steeple_jackuk
Steeple_jackuk
Cosmic Level

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Sat Mar 26 2016, 21:45

Placing a hand on the console Frostbite collected the sentient computer program back into himself.

His main ally was quick to comment 'We appear to have allied ourselves with wanted criminals, thieves who think little of taking things from others regardless of consequences. Our options presented as I see are:'

'1) Stay with the crew in order to 'repay' them for saving your life. However, consider this. If we had no convinced the engines and the navigation computers to act in concert we would be in that other system and at the mercy of the newcomers, assuming the ship survived the strike of multiple missiles.

2) Turn the crew against one another and set yourself up as Captain. Then find a way to repair this spacecraft, either through peaceful means or salvage. For instance, from the limited capabilities of this craft it became clear that this system has a number of mining asteroids and possibly more out there requiring investigation. Ores, minerals, isotopes, who knows what could be out there, but it may be of value and allow us to purchase the required components.

3) Alight at the first opportunity and distance yourself from this ship and its crew. Sign on with another crew or - I do not recommend this - steal your own craft. Your super powers are formidable but do not include interstellar flight. You would die long before you left this star system should you attempt to do so under your own power.

4) Contact those newcomers should they enter the system in pursuit, which seems likely, and negotiate a settlement with them. This course of action seems the least likely to succeed as they possess superior firepower. They would simply take what they want, or destroy their foes, one assumes.

5) Fight. Wait for the newcomers, use the asteroid field for cover and your powers to even the playing field. This crew however remains, at best, hopeless.

Considering that the capabilities of this craft are at best limited, the amount of time available should be considered limited.'
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Steeple_jackuk Mon Mar 28 2016, 10:28

Admin wrote:2) Turn the crew against one another and set yourself up as Captain. Then find a way to repair this spacecraft, either through peaceful means or salvage. For instance, from the limited capabilities of this craft it became clear that this system has a number of mining asteroids and possibly more out there requiring investigation. Ores, minerals, isotopes, who knows what could be out there, but it may be of value and allow us to purchase the required components.

Frostbite didn't like his options, he didn't like much of anything he had faced in this whole setup he had stumbled on. Thoughts of some long desired easier life - the lift he felt owed at the end of the war, seem like a distant memory. But the upside of gaining powers and being the repository for a semi sentient intelligent computer, was still something that gave him pause for thought.

As he rattled through the choices before him, he knew that these criminals stood a better chance of survival and possible even redemption if he lead them. He knew it wasn't easy but assumed that the crew were run on a survival of the meanest approach. That they were so ragtag and opportunist suggested that behind all this wasn't a keen mind but a strong fist. Probably their strongest ruled until the next challenger came along. So that might be his first port of call to get to call the shots. Then it would be to appeal to the creature's will to survive. But one thing at a time.

Frostbite asked Frostbot is there was anything that passed for a rosta, or if he knew who called the shots? He had to find out who it was who ran things and how best to challenge them. Having already saved the crew, he felt they owed him that much.

OOC: ok so we are going route 2 and making a number of deductions all of which might be wrong. But hey in for a penny, I can see that challenging for rule of the ship affords me the best chance of making my way beyond where we are currently and making a go of this. So lets get it on, and hopefully where strength counts, together with brains, I can get Frostbite to make a good showing of it.

Sj
Steeple_jackuk
Steeple_jackuk
Cosmic Level

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Wed Mar 30 2016, 13:45

Frostbot seemed to pause for a fraction of a second, a lifetimes wait for one whose capabilities outshone modern computers in the 21st century.

'It would appear the small alien to which you have been communicating is not - outwardly - the leader but one of the players 'behind the scenes', making suggestions and comments that push small groups of the crew in one way or another.' suggested Frostbot. 'A 'quartermaster' if you will allow me to compare to the ships crew of old on the high seas.'

'That one appears to be the biggest, best armed and therefore the strongest.' said the sentient program referring to an Alien that cuffed another. This brute was covered in scars, had a tusk missing, part of an ear chewed off and an eye was blood red. Or green, in this case. It stood a foot taller than the next largest alien on the bridge. 'It has not been active till now because it has been asleep. It seems it did not wake well.'

The beast was raging, throwing anything that wasn't tied down about and tearing up several things that were!

Frostbite considered his opponent. He was a fighter, strong, fast for his size, and tough. Whilst the others wore rag tag parts of space suits cobbled together this one had bandoliers across his armoured chest, wore wrist and shin greaves, its belt had some kind of power pack on it and strapped to its legs were pistols with barrels large enough to fit Frostbites head in!

'Consider this. You have considerable destructive capabilities. This alien will probably have a similar level of destructive power if it can cow this crew into submission. Any confrontation should therefore take place off this ship, unless you want it destroying in the process. landing at an asteroid will serve that purpose and seek to disguise the ships whereabouts whilst repairs are made. If you wish, you can deposit me back into the mainframe and I shall continue... negotiations... to get the different systems speaking to each other. At the moment they are calling each other names. It's all rather childish.'
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Steeple_jackuk Thu Mar 31 2016, 11:43

Admin wrote:'Consider this. You have considerable destructive capabilities. This alien will probably have a similar level of destructive power if it can cow this crew into submission. Any confrontation should therefore take place off this ship, unless you want it destroying in the process. landing at an asteroid will serve that purpose and seek to disguise the ships whereabouts whilst repairs are made. If you wish, you can deposit me back into the mainframe and I shall continue... negotiations... to get the different systems speaking to each other. At the moment they are calling each other names. It's all rather childish.'

"Lets make it so." Frostbite said to Frostbot out loud for once. He liked the sound of his own voice the sense of something familiar in a very unfamiliar and hostile space. One that he was going to have to make worse, before it could get better.

urning to the small alien, Frostbite realised he still needed to know its name. He simply said,

"If we do not land this ship on an asteroid we will might as well put up a sign to those who are after you, that we are here for the taking. My...companion is getting the ship to play nice. But I need to get your...people to stop fighting one another and start making things work for them. If they do this they will have Money, yes? And the means for a decent ship, yes? All of this can be yours, but first we need to get this crate landed away from prying eyes is that something you can make happen?"

OOC: Ok assuming the alien who gives the orders can do that, and will do that once we've got landed I suggest that Frostbot start telling us what needs doing so we can direct crews to start getting the ship into some kind of order. Whilst they do that the others can start scouring the asteroid (hopefully we'll land on one that serves as a place to hide and might have minerals we can mine as well) for resources. I will then see if we can't get the biggest baddest of these lot to join my me outside where I will then challenge him, so we can minimise damage to the ship. I'd also like it to be in a place where if he gets his lasers going they won't be detectable. No point being a sitting duck here.

Sj

Steeple_jackuk
Steeple_jackuk
Cosmic Level

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Sun Apr 03 2016, 22:43

The smaller Alien looked at the others, including the scarred brute, and nodded.

"We are too damaged and non functional, and <unintelligible>, unable to work together at the simplest of tasks. It is only blind <unintelligible> that the ship and crew has survived so far. I wonder... was finding you a stroke of good <unintelligible> or bad? No matter." it said, and turned, shouting. "We are in need of urgent repairs! Land at... these coordinates so that we may find out what is needed before..."

"WHO ARE YOU TO GIVE ORDERS?!?!" bellowed the huge scarred alien. Those who had been moving to consoles to carry out the order turned and paused, somewhat afraid by the killer in their midst. Even though all were hardened criminals, this one clearly required more respect!

The brute marched over and towered over the small alien, then looked at Frostbite, muttering "This thing... On the network they are offering <unintelligible> for information about any more of them..."

Wha...? Network? More? It MUST be his friends, surely?

Frostbot popped up a message on a screen near to Frostbite. 'I have spoken nicely to the navigation computer and it agrees to speak to the helm about moving the ship but only in exchange for a software upgrade, which I have promised. The console to activate the command is behind the big brute in front of you...'
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Steeple_jackuk Tue Apr 05 2016, 07:29

Admin wrote:Frostbot popped up a message on a screen near to Frostbite. 'I have spoken nicely to the navigation computer and it agrees to speak to the helm about moving the ship but only in exchange for a software upgrade, which I have promised. The console to activate the command is behind the big brute in front of you...'

Frostbite stood with the smaller Alien being threatened now by the behemoth before him. "Information that you give, will not be paid for. You saw what they nearly did to this ship. Their missiles could have easily torn us apart had I not intervened. Think about this, hard though it may be. If they are willing to go to such lengths to get me, what might I be worth to those whom I work with? What value must I and my friend possess, if such as they are prepared to pay for me. Assuming of course they can be trusted. They can be trusted...can't they?"

Having sown a seed of doubt, Frostbite then moved forward moving into a dispersed state as he did. "Imagine what I could be worth to you, if you don't sell me? Imagine what my friends could be worth to you if we were to get them all?" And with that he moved through the alien, solidifying and pressing the button to move the ship to the designated co-ordinates, hoping that Frostbot's manner of diplomacy was all it appeared to be.

OOC: Hopefully my moment of theatrics worked favourable as did my appeal to their greed. When we get to land, I intend to have it out with the big alien, as I want to call the shots not have him do it. I can't be certain if he is all brute and no brain and regrettably this might be the only way to find out.

Sj
Steeple_jackuk
Steeple_jackuk
Cosmic Level

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Thu Apr 07 2016, 20:28

The 'Captain' (or Chief Brute...) considered Frostbites words...

"More like you?" he growled. "I saw what you did. Others, like you, are the same?"

With Frostbites nod the giant sneered, hawked and spat. The spittle sizzled on the deck where it landed. The Brute considered again. "What do you want? Why are you here?"

Clearly Frostbite had sown enough of a seed in there to give pause to this creature who would normally shoot, tear and rend first and ask questions if any life remained in the moments after!

The crew appeared transfixed by this apparent show of power, and surprised their captain had not already initiated a trail of strength in order to assert his dominance! Then again...

From the corner of his eyes Frostbite noted several of the aliens moving behind those who were gathered in a circle. Presumably to take him down from the sides and from behind! His next answer would determine not just his own fate, but that of this ship and its crew, for any fight that broke out would surely tear this bucket of bolts apart!
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Steeple_jackuk Thu Apr 07 2016, 21:56

Admin wrote:The 'Captain' (or Chief Brute...) considered Frostbites words...

"More like you?" he growled. "I saw what you did. Others, like you, are the same?"

"Yes like me, potentially more powerful as well." In for a penny...Frostbite was stretching the truth a tad, but in truth as a group they may well have matured beyond their current status by nature of their need to survive. And besides Wandafar was worth 10 of him, straight.

"But all the treasure in all the planets around all the stars, out there, will be no good if we're fired on again. And an intelligent being like you knows this, yes? A smart Commander like yourself, who rules with such strength, cunning and vastly superior intelligence can't be afraid of a small creature like me. So you've nothing to fear, and your crew will remain loyal to you because you've had a sniff of something valuable and you know have a promising lead to it. Why let others get what could rightfully be yours. All I ask is for safe passage. I'd like to find my friends and together imagine what might we could be in your hands?"

Frostbite again singled out the creatures, pride, vanity and greed. That the ship was so badly put together and so badly working suggested the captain was all brains and relied on others to do his thinking for him. But Frostbite was no fool, cunning certainly made up for a lot that intelligence lacked. The Captain must have more to him than brute strength or else he'd probably have had his throat slit by now. In any case it was all moot, if they didn't land soon and take time to get the ship to talk properly to its various components they'd soon be so much dust in the vacuum anyway.

Sj
Steeple_jackuk
Steeple_jackuk
Cosmic Level

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Thu Apr 07 2016, 23:33

The Captain leaned in "I am no fool! You are useful to me alive. For now. If you jeopardize my ship or my position, you will die... or be handed to those others!"

Frostbite waited, knowing that the Captain expected a reaction. Getting none, he grunted and turned "Get the ship landed! We have repairs to make! I am still Captain, and what I say goes! Got it?" he roared at a nearby alien. One looked defiant, and about to answer but was pistol whipped across the face with such ferocity its bulky form flew twenty feet through the air to crash into a bulkhead and dent it!

"Now get that fixed!" the Captain roared and pointed at the dented bulkhead, even as the dazed alien staggered to his feet!

Frostbite turned to the screen and saw text scroll up. 'The landing cycle has been engaged. Previously it was not working and the logs showed every landing was made manually, often incurring damage. There may be a way for you to make them think you are able to fix their ship.'

=========

The small alien stepped up. "The captain says you are to be escorted everywhere, and not be let out of our sight." it said as the ship made its final approach having asked permission from a mining outpost to land on one of its pads.

For Frostbite, a man out of time and now in the depths of what could be considered a miniature version of deep space, he could only barely take in what was happening. Deep space mining colonies, spacecraft, empires, aliens, all small than a molecule and existing unnoticed by humanity!

Just then an alarm blared on the ship!

Moving to one of the consoles, Frostbite saw Frostbot pop text up for his eyes only. 'Our pursuers. They have tracked us to this system!'
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Steeple_jackuk Fri Apr 08 2016, 15:59

Admin wrote:Moving to one of the consoles, Frostbite saw Frostbot pop text up for his eyes only. 'Our pursuers. They have tracked us to this system!'

Turning to his escort Frostbite said, "Take me to the Captain, he will want to know that our pursuers have caught up to us in this system"

OOC: Since I can't determine what will happen next, I want to go to the Captain and let him know that it is I who have had success getting this hunk of junk to land without requiring manual steering and considerable damage and expense. I have got us to this system, whilst he was sleeping. And that despite my efforts, our pursuers have tracked us to this system. Now that we are here, what is it that he wants to do? The ship barely speaks to the different components, whilst sat here we are an easy target, but in orbit we're even easier prey. Since the Captain is no fool, though his threats are baseless given the nature of the ship he has amassed piecemeal around him, what does he suggest we do?

Frostbite will remain frosty for now, but he is looking for an opportunity to leave this 'captain' on this mining camp and take his ship and crew to some place better, not to mention finding his friends and evading the all too looming shadow of pursuit.

Sj
Steeple_jackuk
Steeple_jackuk
Cosmic Level

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Wed Apr 13 2016, 00:09

The captain growled. "They want you. I should give you to them!"

He waited for a reaction, studying Frostbites 'alien' face and ultimately sneering, unsatisfied. "You have worth. You have managed to... help... in some small way" it said, glancing around at the ramshackle vessel, sneering as it creaked and groaned.

"If however there is no alternative I shall hand you over without reservation!" it guffawed, menacing brows glowering at Frostbite. "But... for now... our interests are the same."

It marched past Frostbite onto the main area of the bridge and commanded the screen display the system layout including the projected path of the newcomers.

Frostbot projected onto the screen a suggested path and the explanation, being that it veered through a part of the asteroid field and potentially threw off the pursuers. However another proposition sprung to mind. One of the larger asteroids spun steadily through space and the spacecraft could in theory match its rotation and land, away from the major asteroids and their facilities. By taking one of the 'lifeboats' with limited range and speed some of the crew could venture forth and buy the supplies required, providing they had enough money or equipment to trade. Or decided to take it. Or they could head straight for the larger asteroids and the base there and try to get repairs completed fasted so they would be better prepared for a fight or to flee... Choices...
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Steeple_jackuk Wed Apr 13 2016, 07:50

Admin wrote:The captain growled. "They want you. I should give you to them!"

He waited for a reaction, studying Frostbites 'alien' face and ultimately sneering, unsatisfied. "You have worth. You have managed to... help... in some small way" it said, glancing around at the ramshackle vessel, sneering as it creaked and groaned.

"If however there is no alternative I shall hand you over without reservation!" it guffawed, menacing brows glowering at Frostbite. "But... for now... our interests are the same."

It marched past Frostbite onto the main area of the bridge and commanded the screen display  the system layout including the projected path of the newcomers.

Frostbot projected onto the screen a suggested path and the explanation, being that it veered through a part of the asteroid field and potentially threw off the pursuers. However another proposition sprung to mind. One of the larger asteroids spun steadily through space and the spacecraft could in theory match its rotation and land, away from the major asteroids and their facilities. By taking one of the 'lifeboats' with limited range and speed some of the crew could venture forth and buy the supplies required, providing they had enough money or equipment to trade. Or decided to take it. Or they could head straight for the larger asteroids and the base there and try to get repairs completed fasted so they would be better prepared for a fight or to flee... Choices...

Frostbite could see that a larger port, also drew attention. His potential worth would make an attractive proposition to any flotsam and jetsam that saw an opportunity for profit. He was no fool, a lifeboat with the crew in would make more sense, besides which it might be an easier way to gain information. People like him, were clearly something new.

Frostbite explained his idea, and added. "You could hand me over, but you are a wanted group whats to say that this force, superior to you wouldn't take me and claim any bounty on you. I think you'll do more than listen if you've got any hope of true escape. Like it or not, our fates are now one. Even if you got rid of me, they will seek you and demand answers. And I don't think they'll be too bothered whom they kill to get it either, do you?"

Sj
Steeple_jackuk
Steeple_jackuk
Cosmic Level

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Mon Apr 18 2016, 17:09

The captain growled, and those nearby glanced towards Frostbite then at the Captain.

"I'M STILL IN CHARGE HERE!" it bellowed, and the nearby crew cowered back as the Captain brandished large laser pistol and savage looking cutlass which measured near six foot in length! Despite his size frostbite had to admit he was quick!

He turned on Frostbite. "I'm going to send them a message, tell them I have you but they stay put or I have you incinerated! Then I'm..."

"Challenge!" shouted the small alien who'd been frostbites' nearest thing to an ally. "Challenge for the Captaincy!"

The nearest crew looked about, then took up the cry. All of a sudden the Captain roared, but his voice was drowned out by the shouts from the crew "CHALLENGE! CHALLENGE! CHALLENGE!"

Frostbite glanced at the screen. He wouldn't have long before that fleet made its way into the inner system, and this Captain was as stubborn as he was violent, no doubt! It seemed listening to reason was not one of his most endearing traits!

The Captain turned "You are the prize catch lubber, but don't think I won't carve you up then hand over the pieces to save this ship!"

"CHALLENGE!" screamed the crew.

"ALRIGHT!" bellowed the Captain. "To the airlocks. We'll find somewhere to sort this out... and after that..." he looked at the small alien "You're next!"

Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Steeple_jackuk Mon Apr 18 2016, 19:45

Admin wrote:The Captain turned "You are the prize catch lubber, but don't think I won't carve you up then hand over the pieces to save this ship!"

"CHALLENGE!" screamed the crew.

"ALRIGHT!" bellowed the Captain. "To the airlocks. We'll find somewhere to sort this out... and after that..." he looked at the small alien "You're next!"

In some ways Frostbite was relieved. As capable a 'man' as the Captain no doubt was. His judgement was impaired by his short sighted pride and greed. His own men might well be more loyal if they felt they had some fair shake in the ship. Frostbite was under know illusions however. This was a band of cutthroats, so he would have to watch his back, should he win as well.

But for now he fared the chances of the ship and crew far better in his hands than that of this mean spirited alien, bully. And besides which, Frostbite hated bullies.

OOC: Bring it on. Though I don't have Lionheart's danger sense, I can be at least one step ahead. By making sure I am dispersed I can minimise the eventual moment when the Captain tries to betray the code and get in a quick few licks before Frostbite has had a chance to get into position. At which point I go diamond hard, increase mass and go in hard and fast. HP its time to spend what you got.

Sj

Steeple_jackuk
Steeple_jackuk
Cosmic Level

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Wed Apr 20 2016, 18:34

The crew, save a disgruntled skeleton few, 'suited up' in space suits and trudged out of the ships docking ramp onto the surface of the landing pad, itself on a large asteroid.

Frostbite looked about. The place was bleak rock, beyond it the hard vacuum of space! Looking further on he saw a dome - possibly a miners habitat, and attached were a number of added on buildings. They were ramshackle looking and pocked with dents from asteroid collisions, but still presumably airtight. From those buildings what looked to be a moon buggy had set off and was headed for the landing pad.

The Pirates checked their weapons. They were ready for a scrap, but first business needed settling. They trudged across the barren rock surface and formed a large ring, nearly 100 feet across. The Captain strode into the middle, and addressed the crew.

"Know this! I will fight ANY challenge to my leadership, as I have always, and I will walk away the victor! Any who stand by this... creature...." he spat at Frostbite "Will suffer its fate when he falls!" he pointed at the small alien who'd been Frostbites ally. Who gulped.

Frostbite walked into the circle, aware that time was of the essence. The miners would turn up before the pursuers in the space ships, but what would they say - what COULD they say when confronted by 50 or so Alien pirates? He felt for them, but had to mind his own business first!

He looked across at his opponent... who had... what had he done? He dropped a syringe and rolled his neck, then started to grow! Mutterings started around the ring as the captain grew to twenty feet tall, shredding his suit! His jaw elongated and rippled, becoming like that of a Crocodile! He grew two more arms, each ending in clawed hands! All in heartbeats! Now thirty feet tall and towering over Frostbite, the hero figured he shouldn't have been surprised. The man had cheated. He was a pirate. Maybe Frostbite might have been surprised if he HADN'T cheated!

OOC initiative... Frosty 4 Captain 3. Frosty goes first. The Captain looks like a four armed T Rex with rags of clothes hanging off him. He doesn't seem too bothered about the vacuum of space either! Those teeth look like they are at least a foot long, each...
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Steeple_jackuk Wed Apr 20 2016, 22:13

Admin wrote:OOC initiative... Frosty 4 Captain 3. Frosty goes first. The Captain looks like a four armed T Rex with rags of clothes hanging off him. He doesn't seem too bothered about the vacuum of space either! Those teeth look like they are at least a foot long, each...

OOC: Of course the one thing I hadn't fully appreciated is that within an airless vacuum, ice and my weather control abilities aren't going to be much use. So its flight, energy attack and go for Density increase that is my main three options to use.

In the cold arid lifeless vacuum around him, Frostbite realised that he was disadvantaged on several levels. But that didn't leave him without some options. He imagined in a straight up fight the Captain, warped as he was, had the advantage. But his bulk might also mean he'd be slower. He can't have used this form much that he was accomplished in its form and in a zero g environment, Frostbite had his flight which gave him a potential ability to move quicker. Well one could but hope.

Taking off, he moved in circling around and looking for a critical shot against the captains weak points like the eyes.

OOC: So critical strike against weak points use HP for 3 dice, for just attack and lets see if we can't take him down out asap.

Sj
Steeple_jackuk
Steeple_jackuk
Cosmic Level

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Sun Apr 24 2016, 13:14

OOC Frosty spends 21HP for three extra dice. FROSTBITE HP 103

Frostbite attacks with a blast, looking to slice into his oversized opponent!

OOC Here we go. Roll(5d10)+0: 4,9,6,3,1,+0 Total:16 Energy Blast 14 + 16 (30) vs TN11 + Dex 4 (15) + Crit Strike (4)=19. Hit, +5 Effect. 19EV vs 16RV -6 (crit strike) =9 damage

THOOOM!

The huge creature reeled from the blast, tumbling head over heels and crashing into a rock outcropping which disintegrated into fragments!

It appeared dazed and looked about, as if not quite sure where it was!

OOC That's because, despite absorbing 4 points (Captain took 5 Body damage and is on 4 Body remaining) the Captain is STUNNED and cannot make any dice (attack) action.

In spite of that the Captain rights himself and staggers back to the battleground with members of the crew parting to let the enlarged creature get through!

"He has... regressed!" said the small alien. "Our species was once as you see the Captain, but genetic modification by aliens changed us, made us more intelligent, faster, but smaller and weaker. Watch for its acid breath! It can eat through metal!"

Frostbite looked over to his ally and took note. So far the small alien had been his best ally, and he'd need those if he intended on taking charge of this crew and heading off any problems before they appeared.

He looked at the Captain, a great ravenous slavering jaw roaring soundlessly at him in range, then seeming to drop with oozing yellow liquid...

OOC Intiative Frostbite 5, Captain 6. Frosty still goes first. The Captain can attack this round assuming Frosty doesn't take him out first (he is injured after all).
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Steeple_jackuk Sun Apr 24 2016, 14:41

Admin wrote:He looked at the Captain, a great ravenous slavering jaw roaring soundlessly at him in range, then seeming to drop with oozing yellow liquid...
OOC Initiative Frostbite 5, Captain 6. Frosty still goes first. The Captain can attack this round assuming Frosty doesn't take him out first (he is injured after all).

Frostbite nodded at his diminutive allie, who had been an invaluable source of help so far. Noting the way that the mouth was now open and exposed, gave Frostbite a chance to blast away again, but this time within the mouth. He was taking no chances and hoped to give this slavering beast, the worst case of 'brain freeze' it had ever known. The way it would feel would make its ancestors get goosebumps, always assuming his aim was still true.

OOC:Ok so once again with critical strike and making sure I offset the possibility of missing with buying three dice to aid accuracy. I'll let damage take care of itself. But I am basically hoping to it a weak point within its slack jawed open maw.

Sj

Steeple_jackuk
Steeple_jackuk
Cosmic Level

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Sun Apr 24 2016, 22:14

OOC FROSTBITE HP 82

Buying three dice for attack, same again... Roll(5d10)+0: 9,8,1,2,5,+0 Total:17 + Energy blast 14 (31) vs TN11 + Dex 4 + Crit Strike 4 (19). +5 Effect. 19EV vs 16RV - 6RV (10) means 9 more points of damage. The captain absorbs 5 points but still takes 4 and is on 4 remaining so...

The creature coughed and spluttered as an energy blast struck it directly in the maw, then it spun and fell backwards! CRASH! Dust flew up and the onlooking pirates looked... well, stunned really. Their Captain, who through guile, cunning and plain old nastiness had ruled the roost for ages had just been deposed! They looked, slowly, as one, to their new leader!

The small alien marched up, raised Frostbites arm above his head as he landed and shouted "Let there be no dispute! We have our Captain! The ice skinned freak!"

Frostbite was about to comment on this when the moon buggy rolled up and a hatch opened! The Pirates turned and gathered their weapons even as vaguely humanoid rock skinned creatures crunched and cracked their way out! And they were armed with what Frostbite could only consider to be bazookas! What now?

They spoke, the pirates looked at one another, then to their new Captain. Great! A language barrier now! There were half a dozen rockmen miners (with weapons primed) against 50 or so Pirates (and one dozing monster of a captain) and Frostbite. Frankly the odds didn't look to be in the miners favour, but they didn't look to be backing down...

'Frostbite' said Frostbot, using the communications device of the ship. 'Our pursuers have set course for the asteroid field. It's clear they are following the somewhat dirty emissions of the craft we are using. Asteroid fields are difficult to navigate at best, so their fleet will be slowed. Even so, there is little time left to gather vital components and start repairs. I suggest you make haste...'

The small Alien came up, and was twiddling the nobs on some small (by the size of his hands) device. "This basic translator will turn their scratching noises into something resembling speech. I should warn you, those devices they carry are used to cut through asteroids..."

Lazer bazookas...
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Steeple_jackuk Sun Apr 24 2016, 22:23

Admin wrote:The small Alien came up, and was twiddling the nobs on some small (by the size of his hands) device. "This basic translator will turn their scratching noises into something resembling speech. I should warn you, those devices they carry are used to cut through asteroids..."

Lazer bazookas...

"Men!" Frostbite assumed by not being over familiar or too gentile he might not start on the wrong foot here. "We seem to have before us an opportunity. I can see that by your fine facilities you are industries workers of the facilities here. We find ourselves in need of some resources and would be prepared to negotiate on materials and goods needed. Do you think we could trade. Be worth more to you then the dead mess our floating carcusses would cause your pretty little asteroid."

Frostbite hoped that what passed for a charm, and his negotiating skills without the underscore of a gun barrel, somehow got through to the creatures.

OOC: Ok will be buying a couple of extra dice and using my Charisma skill to try and win them over. If I can pick off any clues from the way they dress, hold themselves of the facilities here abouts, to clue me in then I'll try and add that in. But since time is of the essence, and I can feel a clock ticking away here, best get a move on.

Sj
Steeple_jackuk
Steeple_jackuk
Cosmic Level

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Tue Apr 26 2016, 21:11

OOC Charisma gives a couple of extra dice so no need to spend from your dwindling pool of points (in my humble opinion). You are trying to Persuade the miners to help you. They, having seen who and what you are, are Suspicious.

Roll(4d10)+0: 7,1,10,8,+0 Total:18 + Influence 8 vs TN 11 + Infl 5 + 2 (Suspicious) (18). +4 Effect to add to Aura 5 (9) vs Spirit 5 + 2 from Suspicious. 2 RAPs.

The Alien Miner leader looks to his fellows, confers quietly, then turns. "We help you. You help us. We need... 18 Quartons of minerals moving. Quietly, without notice from ... anyone."

The small alien stood near Frostbite spluttered. "Eighteen...? Why that... we would be filling the corridors, even having to dump stuff from the hold in order to carry that much weight!"

"Deal or no deal. You decide. You say yes, we arrange for ship repairs. We know people. You say no? Our people transmit to the system what is going on here."

Frostbot confirmed via comm link 'They are in constant communication with their base. In time I could jam it, but this negotiation cannot be prolonged. You could... sweeten the deal for you and your crew however. This base is equipped with a mass driver cannon. Essentially it is used to deflect larger asteroids by firing chunks of rock at them at very high speed thanks to a magnetic recoilless propellant. It could buy valuable time should our pursuers enter the asteroid field... then find themselves having to take evasive action thanks to asteroids veering wildly off course...'

Frostbite would have to be a damn sight more persuasive to convince the aliens that firing on a small space fleet was worth their while!

OOC In which case you may have to spend HP but it won't be cheap!
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Steeple_jackuk Wed Apr 27 2016, 13:12

Admin wrote:Frostbot confirmed via comm link 'They are in constant communication with their base. In time I could jam it, but this negotiation cannot be prolonged. You could... sweeten the deal for you and your crew however. This base is equipped with a mass driver cannon. Essentially it is used to deflect larger asteroids by firing chunks of rock at them at very high speed thanks to a magnetic recoilless propellant. It could buy valuable time should our pursuers enter the asteroid field... then find themselves having to take evasive action thanks to asteroids veering wildly off course...'

Frostbite would have to be a damn sight more persuasive to convince the aliens that firing on a small space fleet was worth their while!

OOC In which case you may have to spend HP but it won't be cheap!

"A moment..." Frostbite said as he turned to the others. Gathering them in he spoke quickly. "Men, like it or not, we've got to make some allies here. The enemy is closing in, these miners have equipment that will want to use to protect their cargo and if we're carrying it protect us as well. Besides its a small price to pay for a refitted ship. One which in which you don't have to weigh up if it will gas you in your sleep, blow up before moving or just break down on you. We're doing this."

And with that Frostbite turned to the miners and said, "We agree, but we'll need help. Our ship took quite a pounding, hence the need for some help. In return we can let you also have him" Frostbite said, indicating the inert ex captain. "He ain't much to look at, but he'll work hard if you motivate him the right way."

OOC:Figured that if I use my remaining HP I might be stuck later, so I reckon it could be worth it. Besides as I mentioned I am hoping they'll want to make sure the cargo gets where it needs to go, or else no one wins. I also want the Ex Captain made use off, as I don't want to watch my back or see an insurgency. So he gets to remain on the camp, if they'll have him.

Sj
Steeple_jackuk
Steeple_jackuk
Cosmic Level

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 6 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next