The Vanguard Play by Post Roleplaying Game
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The new Vanguard! Frostbite Issue #4

3 posters

Page 4 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Go down

The new Vanguard! Frostbite Issue #4 - Page 4 Empty Re: The new Vanguard! Frostbite Issue #4

Post  Admin Sat Nov 28 2015, 23:26

"You want to go in there alone? Are you mad?" growled Bombardier.

Crystal Queen looked incensed and butted in. "Now listen here. You might be in charge of this mission and the senior UKChampion on site, but this man took out one of those Locust Men with a single shot AND survived a building being blown up and falling on top of him! He's not going in alone though. We attack from the front and we get right in there!"

Bombardier shook his head. "Amateurs. We still don't know if they can be reasoned with. Perhaps there is a..."

SMECK!

Everyone turned at the sound.

A giant - Surge - was falling through the air, backwards, having been struck by a terrific blow!

"What the... I told that clown to stand down! He's gone in there on his own! Buffoon!" roared Bombardier. Frostbite saw his team mate - all forty feet high of him - fall back through the air and crash into the side of a portacabin, flattening it! He lay on his back, breathing hard... Then rolled onto his front. From here Frostbite could see he was spitting blood.

The he saw why.

A Locust Man, growing even as they looked on, moved into view! Some eighty feet high, towering over the buildings around and rivalling the metal chimneys in this place! Bullets pinged ineffectually off it as it strode towards Surge!

"Blood hell." muttered Bombardier. "This lot pull powers out of a hat! Look at the size of that thing! Right lass, you an' me, and hopefully this lads mates, will get stuck into that. You..." he turned to Frostbite and paused for a moment... then he threw a salute. "Go get 'em soldier. You might be a yank and can't follow orders for toffee, but I know a soldier when I see one. You'll get your diversion!"

"UKChampions! CHAAAAAARRRRRRRGGGGGE!" he bellowed.

OOC Bombardier, Crystal Queen, Reflex, Terra Firma and Gravitas will attack the giant Locust Man. Surge is down for the moment (but not out) and Probability was hurt in one of the blasts. Asp for the UKC is down and Tearaway is injured. Firebrand is (perhaps wisely) still in the jet with Mary.

What powers will Frostbite use to cover his advance and entrance into the building, and from there, we shall see what transpires!
Admin
Admin
Admin

https://darkeningshadows.darkbb.com

Back to top Go down

The new Vanguard! Frostbite Issue #4 - Page 4 Empty Re: The new Vanguard! Frostbite Issue #4

Post  Steeple_jackuk Sun Nov 29 2015, 14:05

Admin wrote:What powers will Frostbite use to cover his advance and entrance into the building, and from there, we shall see what transpires![/i][/color]

Frostbite didn't like the way things were going, Bombardier was right about the mysterious appearance of powers. He had a suspicion that all was not as it seemed, perhaps some other player not yet revealed, or that these creatures were entirely more alien and mysterious than they'd previously thought.

In any case it was time for something to happen, in their favour, before what happened here broke out all over. Oddly though, Frostbite thought it strange that the Locusts broke cover as the giant insect now, surely gave up the game on their being invading aliens?

OOC:Ok I am thinking of covering my tracks and here is how I am suggesting I do it.

1. I simply dip below ground in a dispersed pattern going along sewers or what not till I come up under the makeshift base.
2. Or I use my weather control and ice production to throw up such a storm around the building that I can slip in, perhaps using fluid form to be less recognisable as a person slipping in.
3. Or I fly in from above, using my weather control to mask my coming, I fly in and disperse through the roof.

I guess it's a question of assessing the best tactical possibility with the strongest use of my suit of powers to achieve the task at hand. So whatever you think fits that bill and is most doable, I will attempt to do. Again use HP as needed to favour the dice rolls if things go belly up. If all else fails, then perhaps the other heroes can run in whilst I draw everyone's fire ;-)

Sj
Steeple_jackuk
Steeple_jackuk
Cosmic Level

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Sun Nov 29 2015, 16:05

OOC Well the snow is already coming down, so it won't be too much of a stretch to bring down fog as well. Moving through stuff is all well and good... but relies on a reasonable dice roll and not hanging about, because if the dice fail you whilst dispersed in something solid... well lets say you won't be worried about being seen by the bad guys.

Flying up, then down through the roof sounds like a reasonable option. When the sky is white out above and snow is falling, with things going on at ground level, who looks up?

Taking to the sky, frostbite knew he had to get a move on! Slicing upwards through the air he realised he needed to rein in his speed a little. Had he speeded up?

Time to check that later! With a thought and a gesture he changed the existing conditions (hopefully) from damp, slight breeze and chilly to cold, foggy and no wind at all!

OOC Not a massive stretch in the grand scheme of things. I assume you are using Adrenaline Surge (no reason not to with the range of powers it applies to, save for Energy Blast which is high to start with).
Roll(2d10)+0: 9,7,+15 Total:31 vs OV8+TN11. +5 Effect. 20EV vs RV8. +12RAPs. Weather control boosts up to 20!

Weather Change check. OV/RV is 12.

Roll(2d10)+0: 9,9,+20 Total:38 DOUBLE! plus Roll(2d10)+0: 10,10,+38 Total:58 BOOOOOOM! DOUBLE DOUBLE! plus Roll(2d10)+0: 5,8,+58 Total:71

Roll of 51... highest yet? If not then it's not far off!

71 vs 23TN=+10 Effect. 30EV vs 12RV=18RAPs. If desired, it will stay foggy around here for 18APs of time (1 week!)

The weather change was staggeringly fast! From snow to freezing fog that hung in the air and seemed to boil out of nowhere!

Frostbite was both impressed and surprised - his weather control had gone, as far as he knew! Now it was back! And how!

Swooping down, he aimed for a skylight. No sense in pushing his luck by going through something too solid!

Phasing through the glass (Body 4, no boost needed for dispersal) he emerged into the factory/refinery and looked about. There was a lot of pipe and metalwork around here. Some of it looked pretty substantial and he'd have to go round... unless he could go through!

OOC Ok forgot to add hero points last time, will do so this time (which is another round as the others get stuck into the giant locust man outside). 6 points for a bonus die to Adrenaline surge.

Roll(3d10)+0: 3,3,10 Total:6 DOUBLE! Again! Dice loving you today! plus Roll(2d10)+0: 1,6,+6 Total: 13 but as it turns out the result was exactly the same!

Adren Surge 15 + 13 vs Dispersal 5+TN11. +5 Effect. 20EV 5RV. +15APs to Dispersal. 20 APs of dispersal! That should do it! Though that initial roll of 6 was perilously close to 5, and burning the power out!

FROSTBITE 234HP

Moving effortlessly through the metal Frostbite wondered what had happened. He'd gone from completely intangible (OOC old game system...) to struggling to get through brick, and now? Well all it took was a little effort and he was phasing and controlling the weather as well or better than he'd ever done!

Moving swiftly he sped to the heart of the refinery, and to a place where a foursome of metal vats stood, vents rising from each to intertwine with the pipework above. There were three Locust Men here. One looked 'normal' another was struggling with huge protrusions on its forearms, and a third was several feet taller, larger, wider, bulkier, with its chitinous exoskeleton standing out by way of being several inches thicker. They were clicking and clacking at each other, doubtless in alien speech.

Frostbot commented 'By my reckoning there should be another around here somewhere, at the very least, possibly two, although we are only going on information gleaned from what cameras were accessible and able to view the invaders at the time.'

They had their backs to the hero who hovered at ground level, and were busy attaching large devices to the vats.
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Steeple_jackuk Sun Nov 29 2015, 18:59

Admin wrote:Frostbot commented 'By my reckoning there should be another around here somewhere, at the very least, possibly two, although we are only going on information gleaned from what cameras were accessible and able to view the invaders at the time.'

They had their backs to the hero who hovered at ground level, and were busy attaching large devices to the vats.

OOC: Wow got to say, when has a double double happened. Amazing. But luck or chance is like that there one moment and gone the next. Its why I try to plan continuously, however even the best laid plans and all that. For instance take this situation, I guess that there are two unaccounted for bugs, who might be lurking unaware of where I am. As soon as I go for surprise, I can guess they will try to do the same to me. Uh Oh! No I think I'm in without being detected, best I find out what I can, and where the others are before I strike. I've still got the element of surprise, at least I think I have.

Somewhat taken aback by the surge of his powers, it was an effort to contain the elation that Frostbite felt at his new found or rediscovered powers. Maybe it was something to do with this timeline, this is where his predecessor started after all.

Time to think about that later, he hoped. Floating away into what he hoped was a hidden recess high above, Frostbite wanted to get a proper sense of the battle he had ahead of him. Knowing that the Locusts favoured surprise, he hoped it was time to turn the tables on them.

OOC: Ok so try to get a quick shufty of the situation and then go for an attack whilst we can. My aim is to try and get the three by the vat in a wide dispersal pattern, this calls for really mean dice, so better add in some HP better get 3 die, 21 HP. If I don't make this count first time we might all be kissing our advantage goodbye. IN terms of powers, I am guessing that Energy attack is best used here, since this is likely to be most damaging in the situation.

Sj
Steeple_jackuk
Steeple_jackuk
Cosmic Level

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Mon Nov 30 2015, 15:15

OOC Did try and post last night but without book to hand was struggling.

Anyway, quick house rule (need to write this up). Stealth is an OPPOSED roll+mods vs roll+mods.

So Frosty uses Thief or dex (whichever highest, Dex) and rolls dice (+2 bonus dice from thief)
Locust Men use Int + mods (Full Vision power) + mods from alert status (high alert means they are watching out) + roll

Frostbite stealth check Roll(4d10)+0: 6,3,9,10,+Dex 9=28
Locust Men (team attack modifier +4, plus alert status +4) Int 5 + Full vision 3 + 8 mods + roll Roll(2d10)+0: 2,1,+16 Total: 19

hahahah oh dear.

Frostbite is UNSEEN and has a SUPRISE ATTACK on all three Locust men at the vats. This cancels out the penalty to hit on all 3, but their resistance is boosted from having to spread the blast. No mention of Adrenaline surge so assume a straight up Energy Blast 14 will do the job (hopefully). Using 21HP for +3 bonus dice.

Roll(5d10)+0: 8,7,10,4,1,+14=32 vs OV 7+TN11. 14 difference means +5 Effect. Highest resistance is 14+4 (multi Attack). 19 vs 18. 1 point of damage to each!

Blaster Drone: 6/7 Body 10HP Energy Blast:12
Armour Drone: 6/7 Body 10HP Skin Armour linked, Str 11
Standard Drone: 6/7 Body 10HP

Roll(2d10)+0: 3,6,+0 Total:9 Initiative. Frostbite goes first. They intend to attack, each in a separate way but all at the same time, as if coordinated (which they are).

FROSTBITE HP: 213

That got their attention...

Except that all it seemed to do beside that is draw their attacks on Frostbite!

OOC Initiative. If they roll 10 and Frosty gets 1, they go first. A note about energy blast and ice production. The way I've done it is that energy blast is a bolt of bio energy whereas Ice Production is the actual cold attack that does damage to people vulnerable to cold and less to those resistant. Energy blast is the more powerful and accurate blast and, once pushed with Adrenaline Surge, can achieve some staggering damage.

Frostbot quickly analysed 'The Locust Man with thick chitinous armour is the toughest target but may be less mobile. The blaster can attack at range, so is a danger. The standard Locust Drone can be despatched with a single focussed blast.'
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Steeple_jackuk Mon Nov 30 2015, 16:59

Admin wrote:Frostbot quickly analysed 'The Locust Man with thick chitinous armour is the toughest target but may be less mobile. The blaster can attack at range, so is a danger. The standard Locust Drone can be despatched with a single focussed blast.'

Given that the blaster had the upper hand in terms of his ability to reach, Frostbite targeted him, using another more tightly focused blast. He only thought afterwards that icing the whole area might serve to dampen their enthusiasm to fight. But then again, with their one track minds, perhaps nothing would stop them, unless their hive mind did.

Getting into as good a position as the tangled pipes, walkways and general machinery would allow, Frostbite took aim and fired.

OOC:Ok I am assuming I can keep using Adrenalin surge as wanted, but the danger is that it backfires on a bad roll. For me I see the rational to using it being in dire emergencys. A bit like daily or encounter powers in D&D where you could only use certain abilities once per day or after some sort of recovery period. I think I'd rather Adrenalin surge worked that way (more limited times can use) with less unreliability, than spam all you want but when it fails...IN the meantime lets go for the attack and use 1-2 Die if needed, i.e. totally bad rolls.

Sj
Steeple_jackuk
Steeple_jackuk
Cosmic Level

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Mon Nov 30 2015, 19:49

OOC agreed about adrenaline surge. Maybe a case of the more you use it, the less reliable it becomes until it (inevitably with a roll vs an increasing target number) burns out. I will make adjustments. For now, attack the energy blaster guy with energy blast 14, using 2 hero point dice. I may even re-write the adrenaline surge power, we'll see.

Roll(4d10)+0: 1,6,5,3,Total: 11

Not fantastic...

Frostbite HP 208

Attack 14 + 11=25 vs Dex 7 + TN11. Hit, +3 effect. 17EV vs RV7. 10 damage... which would normlly put one of these things down...

Frostbite blasted an white/blue energy bolt from his hand to smash into the blaster! Satisfied it was job done, he looked to the others... until the 'blaster' got up again!

What in the...? The locust man was glancing down at the smoking hole in its chest... then it looked up and took aim!

The bulky armoured Locust Man charged forwards, the 'standard' locust man kept at its task, arming bombs, and the blaster fired!

OOC Hand to hand attack first, big armoued guy. Using 6hp for a bonus die. Roll(3d10)+0: 6,9,9,+0 Total: 18 Boom! Double.Roll(2d10)+0:
7,7,+18 Total:32 BOOOOOOM! Another double. Uh oh. Roll(2d10)+0: 3,8,+32 Total: 43.Holy smoke! Plus Dex 7
for 50 total vs Dex 9+ fluid form 3 + TN11. +7 Damage boosting strength to 18 vs RV14. FROSTBITE TAKES 4 DAMAGE.

Next up the blaster. Using HP to buy a die (both on 4hp) here we go.Roll(3d10)+0: 7,4,2,Total:11 plus Energy Blast 12 vs OV12+TN11. Hit on the dot. EV12 vs RV14. No damage from the blast. Frostbite is up. Absorb that damage?

OOC really tricky using tablet Sad
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Steeple_jackuk Tue Dec 01 2015, 08:22

Admin wrote:Next up the blaster. Using HP to buy a die (both on 4hp) here we go.Roll(3d10)+0: 7,4,2,Total:11 plus Energy Blast 12 vs OV12+TN11. Hit on the dot. EV12 vs RV14. No damage from the blast. Frostbite is up. Absorb that damage?[/i]

OOC really tricky using tablet Sad[/color]

Uh oh, Frostbite thought, either these things have a way of learning and improving or it has some sort of ability to keep going in the face of horrific injury. Either way the things were now far more dangerous than previously.

OOC: Ok absorb the damage with HP and going on the attack again, aim a second time at the Blaster and go for increased damage with HP. Hoping I take him out before the Big locust closes in on me. Presumably I can fly out of range of melee and still blast at the blaster?

Sj

Steeple_jackuk
Steeple_jackuk
Cosmic Level

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Wed Dec 02 2015, 08:50

FROSTBITE HP 185
BODY: 11 MIND: 8 SPIRIT: 8

OOC Absorbed 4 damage (10 points) and bought 2 dice (13 points) to attack. Going for Critical Blow (Harder to hit, more damage).
Roll(4d10)+0: 5,10,9,6,+14AV Total:33 vs TN11+OV7+Mod 4. +11 means +5 EV, 19EV + Mod +6=25EV - RV7. 18 Damage!

Frostbite didn't mess around, flying up then levelling an arm and letting rip with his most powerful blast!

The Locust Man was vaporised, odd body parts flying apart but the main part of it being reduced to ash, which quickly decomposed.

The bulky armoured Locust Man saw Frostbite floating up near the ceiling and leapt with powerful leg muscles at its foe!

OOC Dex 7 plus roll Roll(2d10)+0: 2,7,+7 Total:16 vs OV12+TN11 (23). Missed.

Frostbite was already in his 'Fluid Form', being a collection of moving ice shards, but didn't need the extra protection as the bulky Locust Man sailed past ineffectually. He watched as the other Locust Man finished the setting of a bomb on a vat and turned to the last one. Not long left now!

Just then a splitting head pain started behind Frostbites eyes!

OOC Mind Attack! AV11 plus Roll(2d10)+0: 6,7,+11 Total:24 vs OV8+TN11. +3 Effect, 14EV vs 8RV. Frostbite takes 6 MIND DAMAGE. This puts him on 2 Mind (from 8 starting)

Frostbite saw a new Locust Man, this one with an enlarged forehead (and therefore eyes on the side of its head as opposed to near the top). It had not been there a moment ago. Could it become invisible??? This was probably the greatest danger to Frostbite. Another shot like that and he was a goner!

With his vision blurred, head splitting with pain, Frostbite knew his time was running out! Where was...?

Somewhere a door smashed in, and Reflex shouted "BOSS! You in here? He's got to be in here... yes, I know! On his own! To hell with what that idiot says! He doesn't give ME orders! Get Kevin in here!"

His team mates... would they make things better... or worse?
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Steeple_jackuk Wed Dec 02 2015, 13:28

Admin wrote:Somewhere a door smashed in, and Reflex shouted "BOSS! You in here? He's got to be in here... yes, I know! On his own! To hell with what that idiot says! He doesn't give ME orders! Get Kevin in here!"

His team mates... would they make things better... or worse?

"Reflex, this one." Frostbite shouted, glad for the distraction that gave him a chance to hopefully blast at the mind master locust creature, long enough for Reflex to absorb his powers and hopefully make use of them. Perhaps even find out what on earth was going on with these things. But at the same time he was mindful that the room was full of bombs that could go off and a huge hulking Locust creature ready to pummel him, if it got to grips with him.

OOC:Phew, glad of the distraction that blast was nasty. Part of me wonders what would happen if I got taken out in these situations, it has happened before. But then I'm a glutton for punishment I think. Anyway whilst I try to distract the Psi Minded Locust, I want Stephanie to try and drain its powers, if she can get near enough. I will give her 2 dice Hero points to help her do what is needed, whether getting to it, attacking or what or protecting herself etc.

Sj
Steeple_jackuk
Steeple_jackuk
Cosmic Level

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Wed Dec 02 2015, 20:20

OOC Reflex is a kind of Vampire rather than a power drainer. Still, with combined attack the pair of you should be able to take out the Locust Man. No mention of absorbing the damage, so...

FROSTBITE HP 172
BODY; 11 MIND:2/8 SPIRIT:8

OOC Frosty gives Reflex two dice. He goes first though with Energy Blast 14. I've been doing Adrenaline surge slightly wrong but no matter. Will present with the altered writeup in the next day or so. Haven't forgotten about Lionheart either, just tricky when sat in a train in a power station Sad

Frostbite energy blast 14 vs Locust Mindblaster. Roll(2d10)+0: 3,8,+14 Total: 25 vs Locust Man OV 7 + TN11. +4 Effect up to 18EV vs RV 14 (Body plus Force shield 7). 4 Damage. Locust Mindblaster on 3/7 Body.

Frostbite blasted at the Locust with the enlarged forehead but seemed to hit a disc of force in front of the thing. Some of his blast went around and the Locust shuddered as bio energy frazzled against its chitinous hide. Reflex saw her chance and attacked from the side even as the bulky Locust Man took another jump at Frostbite!

OOC 4 dice thanks to the leadership advantage. Vampirism 9 plus Roll(4d10)+0: 4,10,3,5,+9 Total:24 vs Locust Man OV7+TN11. +3 Effect. 12EV vs RV7=5 damage and Reflex gains +5 to physical stats and all powers (now at 5APs and 7APs for stats). The Locust Manis now on -2/7 Body.

The Locust Man staggered, then seemed to stand up again, crookedly.

"What?" spluttered Stephanie. Uncertain, she looked at Frostbite for inspiration, but saw he had his hands full, so ran up to the Mindblaster to within swinging room.

The bulky Locust Man leapt at Frostbite...

OOC Roll(2d10)+0: 4,7,+0 Total:11 + AV7 vs Dex9 plus Fluid Form 3 + TN11 (23). It sails wide again and crashes to a rough landing, shaking itself off and looking up at its elusive enemy.

The final Locust Man finishes setting its charge and reaches for the last one, moving to another vat.

The Mindblaster turned to Reflex as she moved up to it, and it unleashed its potent blast at her!

OOC Roll(2d10)+0: 10,4,+0 Total:14 + Mindblast 11=25 vs Int 6+Tn11, +4 EV. 15EV vs 6RV. 9 damage! Reflex is on -3 Mind and dying!

With a single blast the Locust Mindblaster dragged a scream from Reflex and she collapsed in a heap!

'Your companion requires URGENT medical attention' suggested Frostbot.

There was a terrific tearing sound as metal shrieked, being torn apart like paper, and Surge looked down in the hole he'd made in the roof. The giant looked at Frostbite under attack, the Locust setting the bombs, and the enlarged head Locust Man who'd dropped Reflex. "RAAAAAAAAAARRRRGGGH!" he shouted and reached a hand for the Locust Mindblaster!

OOC Next round. Frosty goes first.
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Steeple_jackuk Thu Dec 03 2015, 08:41

Admin wrote:OOC Next round. Frosty goes first.

OOC:I've got an idea but I wanted to know if it requires that Steph be conscious to use it. My idea is that if I touch her then she can benefit from my regeneration powers the way Rogue did in the first Xmen movie. If that isn't possible then where can I take her, without compromising our identities and announcing to those who first captured her that she is alive again? As an alternative I did think if I could somehow freeze her, without killing her I could slow down any irreparable damage that might be done. Right now my priorities have changed and helping Steph is my goal.

Frostbite gave a shout, despite being the soldier he was also a man who felt the charge of leadership deeply. Having lead one team into near disaster this was almost more than he could take. It was with a heavy heart he took on training these heroes and it was becoming abundantly clear that with the sudden attack on Stephanie, his lack of skill was only more in evidence. It would be later when he realised that she had disobeyed orders, but then he hadn't countered and had actively chose to engage her help. So he was as much to blame.

But right now, he had to save her or what was the point of having so much power in the first place?

"Surge, take out the Locust. I've got St...Reflex."

Moving over to her fallen friend, he was aware that there was still foes at hand. As he moved to stand over Stephanie, he fired again at the Mindblaster.

OOC:Energy attack, lets have three dice and no messing I've got to end this quick to get Stephanie to some kind of safety or give her chance to absorb Frostbites regeneration powers.

Sj
Steeple_jackuk
Steeple_jackuk
Cosmic Level

Back to top Go down

Post  dunecat Thu Dec 03 2015, 09:50

((OOCly, Steph doesn't have the ability to absorb powers. That's Power Drain, she has Vampirism - the power to inflict physical damage and then drain that inflicted damage into her own body. Theoretically as I believe she's an actual half-vampire you may be able to feed her some blood to trigger that power, however you would have to be willing to give up the needed points of Body to her as well.))

dunecat
Class 2 Hero (Low level superhuman)
Class 2 Hero (Low level superhuman)

Back to top Go down

Post  Steeple_jackuk Thu Dec 03 2015, 10:22

dunecat wrote:((OOCly, Steph doesn't have the ability to absorb powers. That's Power Drain, she has Vampirism - the power to inflict physical damage and then drain that inflicted damage into her own body. Theoretically as I believe she's an actual half-vampire you may be able to feed her some blood to trigger that power, however you would have to be willing to give up the needed points of Body to her as well.))

OOC: I might be wrong here, but that is my understanding of how she has been played. She was without much in the way of power but drained what was needed. Hence my earlier post about her touching the Mindblaster to absorb his power? However I might have had her figured out wrong all along, in which case I'd never have sent her in as I did.

In any case the thing still stands, we need to know what options we've got to get her from being permanently brain damaged.

Sj
Steeple_jackuk
Steeple_jackuk
Cosmic Level

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Thu Dec 03 2015, 14:10

OOC She drains body points (life energy) from her victims to power her own abilities - super strength, reflexes, toughness, healing, personal force field etc. The more she drains (up to a certain amount) the more power she has.

Options to save her:

1) use the medicine skill (Frostbite has that). Unfortunately whilst doing that it's not so easy to dodge, and there will be penalties.
2) leave her for a bit. People don't die instantly in this game. She will continue to lose MIND points at the rate of 1 every 15 minutes. Combat should be resolved - one way or another - by then
3) get her outside to the emergency services. Ambulance is in attendance. Mary on the Jet has some skill too. That will leave this place at the mercy of the Locusts though
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Steeple_jackuk Thu Dec 03 2015, 22:10

Admin wrote:OOC She drains body points (life energy) from her victims to power her own abilities - super strength, reflexes, toughness, healing, personal force field etc. The more she drains (up to a certain amount) the more power she has.

Options to save her:

1) use the medicine skill (Frostbite has that). Unfortunately whilst doing that it's not so easy to dodge, and there will be penalties.
2) leave her for a bit. People don't die instantly in this game. She will continue to lose MIND points at the rate of 1 every 15 minutes. Combat should be resolved - one way or another - by then
3) get her outside to the emergency services. Ambulance is in attendance. Mary on the Jet has some skill too. That will leave this place at the mercy of the Locusts though

OOC: Right didn't realise we had more time, and in part I was quite shocked that yet another one of my team folded.  In which case I'll move to protect Steph and continue to blast the Mindblaster (standard use HP 2 die again as needed) since he seems most dangerous at present.  Since I have 2 AP in medicine I'll look down at Steph and give my best assessment, as soon as I am free to break off combat (no point in doing so and risking the one chance we've got to get her to safety) then I'll use the med pack, if possible fly her off or get one of the others to get her to the ship for medical prep.  The ship can take off and get her back, then return later on if need be.

Sj
Steeple_jackuk
Steeple_jackuk
Cosmic Level

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Mon Dec 07 2015, 23:03

OOC Using 2 dice, 13HP.

FROSTBITE HP 159

OOC Roll(4d10)+0: 3,1,4,1,+0 Total:9 Whoa! Obviously not taking the double 1 (!) but you nearly had a power burnout right there with the 3,1. The first two dice are the ones counted in case of any complications. If the complications don't apply (you missed having a power burnout on Energy blast with a roll of 4 vs the 3 required for the power to burn out) then you can pick from whatever dice remain.

Energy Blast 15 plus 7 rolled vs OV7 + TN11. +3 Effect, 18EV vs 7RV. 11 damage.

Barely containing his anger and almost losing control of his power, Frostbite manages to grab his arm and move it to blast the Locust Man in the chest again...

And this time the thing splatters into a green icy smear across the floor! In truth, it seemed to be acting mechanically, as if dead already and controlled by another.

Surge attacks the Locust Man with all he has...

OOC AV7 plus roll Roll(2d10)+0: 10,1,+0 Total:11 TN11+OV7. Hit, on the dot, but EV12 (grown strength) vs RV14 does no damage. The Locust Man attacks Surges' hand... Roll(2d10)+0: 2,7,+0 Total:9 + AV7 vs OV3 + TN11. Hit by 2, +2 Effect. EV12 +2 vs RV16 (Surges resistance value) means no damage.

The two combatants seem evenly matched. The other Locust Man continues its work in mechanical fashion, then completes the wiring to a detonator.

OOC The bomb is about to go off! If Steph is caught in the blast in her current state she may die. Surge will also be caught in the blast. You may well survive it, but your friends are class 1 or class 2 heroes (at best) and fighting as hard as they can against equal or superior foes... Frostbite wins initiative. Roll(2d10)+0: 10, Good guys 2,Bad Guys Total:12 Heh, didn't even need to see the roll to predict it. Over to you.
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Steeple_jackuk Tue Dec 08 2015, 08:26

Admin wrote:OOC The bomb is about to go off! If Steph is caught in the blast in her current state she may die. Surge will also be caught in the blast. You may well survive it, but your friends are class 1 or class 2 heroes (at best) and fighting as hard as they can against equal or superior foes... Frostbite wins initiative. Roll(2d10)+0: 10, Good guys 2,Bad Guys Total:12 Heh, didn't even need to see the roll to predict it. Over to you.

Frostbite had to act fast, truth was the bomb was already in place and there was little they could do to stop that now. But he might literally be able to freeze the situation where it stood.

OOC:Ok I need to put some cliff notes next to the powers names, cause I can never remember what they do, apart from the obvious ones ;-). Anyway, whatever allows me to freeze the bug to the bomb on the spot, even in the act of plugging things in, is what I will do. I am hoping that if I can catch it just right, it will literally stop it in its tracks and be unable to carry out the orders. The bomb thus encased may no longer function which might allow for its safe deactivation. Well that is what I am shooting for. So poor it on, Adrenaline surge and HP to the max, kinda can't fail or I might as well retire, right?

Thinking was not the order of the moment, acting on instinct. Some primal response of survival and speed, Frostbite poured on his abilities to stop what looked unstoppable at that moment on the cusp of disaster.

Sj
Steeple_jackuk
Steeple_jackuk
Cosmic Level

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Tue Dec 08 2015, 14:53

OOC Quick run down

Ice Production - allows Frostbite to produce Ice from thin air to make very basic structures or use as an attack
Ice Control - move volumes of Ice around. Yeah, it's not that useful.
Flight - does what it says on the tin
Fluid Form - this is Frostbites ice crystal form making him harder to hit and hurt
Sealed Systems - hold breath, go without food/water/sleep, resist gas and radiation
Adrenaline Surge - boost certain abilities. This needs looking at.
Dispersal - move through objects. At its base level (5) you can move through glass. Very expensive for limited benefit in this game.
Thermal Vision - see heat sources like infra red
Weather Control - change the current local weather from one state to another. The more extreme the change, the harder it is.
Regeneration - heal very quickly, instead of once an hour
Icing - cover yourself with a sheathe of Ice that protects from cold attacks and substitutes for Strength in hand to hand attacks (but its the same level as strength so no point)
Energy Blast - smite your enemies from afar with a bio electric beam
Density Increase - boost your mass/strength/resistance to harm at the cost of making yourself slower (lowers dex)

Adrenaline Surge will either boost your accuracy (acting Value) or Damage (Effect Value) of a power that is used to attack with. In this case you want accuracy to pull off a trick shot and freeze that detonator to the Locusts hands.

Adrenaline surge to Ice Production. Using Hero points (13?)

FROSTBITE HP 146

Roll(4d10)+0: 10,5,6,4,+0 Total:16 Extra dice not much good really. Plus Adrenaline Surge 15. 31AV vs OV9 (Ice Production) +TN11. +5 Effect. 20EV vs RV8. +12RAPs to ACTING value of Ice Production, now 20 for one shot.

Going for a trick shot to encase the hand/arm in solid ice...

AV20 vs OV7 (Dex)+TN11+4 (Trick Shot). Don't really need much of a roll (2 or more). Roll(2d10)+0: 9,1,+0 Total:10. +4 Effect. 13EV vs Str 7 of Locust man. 6RAPs.

The Locust man stared dumbly at his arm which was completely encased in a block of ice! It also had the effect of making the creature easier to strike and Frostbite called out to Kevin as the big man battled with the annoying armour clad Locust.

"Kinda... busy... here... Boss!" he called. Frostbite shouted "He's got a bomb!" which got the big mans attention!

Turning, Surge slammed a foot down on the Locust Man from above!

OOC Going for a devastating attack. I assume Frostbite wants this done so will divert a die Kevins way.

FROSTBITE HP 140

OOC Surge attacks (AV7 vs OV1+TN11+8 from devastating attack) Roll(3d10)+0: 3,3,5,+0 Total:6 DOUBLE plus Roll(2d10)+0: 2,2,+0 Total:4 DOUBLE plus Roll(2d10)+0: 9,10,+0 Total:29 rolled plus AV7. AV36 vs TN20. +6 Effect, +12 from Dev Attack. EV12+18=30EV vs RV7.

WHOMP!

Surge SLAMS a huge foot down leaving only a green splatter across the bottom of his foot and the floor, and a Locust Mans' arm still encased in ice... which starts to fizz and bubble as it decomposes rapidly!

"Yeah!" shouted the big man... until the Armour Locust Man takes a swing!

OOC His OV is 4 +TN11 when Grown. Locust Man has AV7 plus Roll(2d10)+0: 8,3,+7 Total:18. Hit, +2 Effect. 14Ev vs RV16, Surge takes no damage.

"Huh!" laughed Surge. "That it punk? That all you got?"

The Armoured Locust Man looks around. The Detonator is encased in Ice. It is outnumbered, and knows the team of heroes has defeated its giant counterpart. The mind blaster and standard Locust Men are gone.

In rasping English it hisses "The ddday issss yourrrrrssss... Tomorrrow... OURS!"

And it explodes!

Green goop fizzles, dries and turns to dust almost instantly. Surge shrinks and moves over to Reflex. "Boss! We gotta help her!" he cries.
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Steeple_jackuk Tue Dec 08 2015, 22:29

Admin wrote:In rasping English it hisses "The ddday issss yourrrrrssss... Tomorrrow... OURS!"

And it explodes!

Green goop fizzles, dries and turns to dust almost instantly. Surge shrinks and moves over to Reflex. "Boss! We gotta help her!" he cries.

OOC: And hands down that has to be one of the hardest fights we've faced.  Shucks glad we made it out alive.  Right priority is getting Steph to some kind of safety.  Whoever can get her their fastest, fly to the awaiting ship and make sure she is taken care of or at least held some sort of stasis.  Await the others return, or else send the ship on without us to get Steph to safety and I'll wait for the guys to regroup.  We'll say our fond farewells to the UK Champions whom we can leave to do the who PR thing and clean up the mess.  Sadly we failed to capture a Locust man, but we know know they are far more formidable.  

Not sure if we can track them down, if they are covering their tracks so expertly but will make the UK champions get what intel we've got so that they know we're playing nice and are good guys on the side of the angels like them.

Sj
Steeple_jackuk
Steeple_jackuk
Cosmic Level

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Wed Dec 09 2015, 09:59

Bombardier walks in, rolling his neck and wiping a smear of blood away from where it dribbled from a split eyebrow under his mask.

Looking about, he walks over to Frostbite. "Your people are undisciplined, untrained and with superhuman abilities, are like loaded weapons ready to go off!" he barks. Frostbite ignores him as he makes Reflex more comfortable. With a nod to Kevin, the battered hero scoops her up gently and makes his way out.

Behind Bombardier Frostbite sees a green stain covering the car park outside this building where the giant locust had gone 'pop'.

"But you?" added Bombardier, giving a hard, appraising stare to Frostbite. "You have been around. You might be a yank and for all I know a glory hound like a lot of them seem to be, but in my book you're alright. If this was an interview, you just passed the first stage, and should you ever seek membership in the UKChampions, I can put in a good word." he thrust a hand out to shake.

Frostbot spoke up 'The jammer has gone offline, wherever it is. It might even have been the 'mindblaster' Locust Variant with some curious method of jamming electronic signals. These things appear to have an extraordinary ability to adapt to the challenge that faces them. We should too. I have advised Mary that we have several team members in need of medical attention. It seemed the giant Locust was the most powerful of the group and took the most effort to subdue. I would however, argue that the Mindblaster is the more dangerous and should be watched for in future, should they reappear.'

'Terra Firma and Gravitas have reported being detained by security services - as a precaution - but want to know how they should respond. They don't like having guns pointed at them.'

Crystal Queen wobbles in and sags onto a railing. "Well, that went as well as can be expected, but this plant will be out of action for weeks or months. They failed, if their intention was to destroy it." Her crystal form had minute hairline cracks all over it. "Didn't expect that Locust Man to breathe liquid flame. Thought I'd shatter!"

Bombardier nodded. "Asp and Tearaway are recovering. Asp is more annoyed than hurt I think. Tearaway is... well, she's Tearaway. Missed out on a fight, lashing out. "

Crystal Queen frowned and walked to stand beside Frostbite. "I hope you aren't giving this man a hard time!" she barked at Bombardier. Before he could answer she turned and gave Frostbite a crunchy hug, her crystal form meshing against his icy form. "Thank you." she adds quietly. "You'll always have a friend in me." She gave Frostbite a peck on the cheek then went outside to deal with the authorities. "Captain!" she shouts "Be so kind as to let those gentlemen go. They are with us."

"...not on our database, maybe we should wait until verified by..."

"Captain, they just helped save this facility and hundreds of lives if it were to have blown up. Are you really going to turn this win into something soured by red tape and bureacracy?"

"...well ma'am, protocol demands that..."

"I will take full responsibility. I have Alpha 4 clearance. Feel free to check..."

Their voices trailed away.

Bombardier took a deep breath. "Alright. Thank you - and your people - for your help. You were... invaluable. We came unprepared. We really need to find out what we're up against here. With that in mind..." he fished in a belt pouch to hand out a business card. It said simply 'UkChampions visitor clearance Delta 1'. "I'd like for you to visit us at our London HQ, tomorrow, if you can. Don't bring the growing idiot. His IQ seems to shrink as his body grows."

"Boss" said Mary in Frostbites ear piece. "Press and police arriving en masse. Time to go. Reflex is fine, but she'll wake up with a headache and be out of action for a few days. Need to get her back to the base. Ms Stowe can get Wandafars machines to work on her."

OOC Just about a wrap with this issue, and hero point award to hand out. The next step in this process of hunting down the Locusts will test Frostbite to the brink of his power and beyond!
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Steeple_jackuk Wed Dec 09 2015, 13:15

Admin wrote:Bombardier walks in… "Your people are undisciplined, untrained…But you, I can put in a good word." he thrust a hand out to shake.
Frostbite was about to answer in defence of his team, but as the old soldier blustered he took the comments on the chin and took the offered hand.
"It’s been an honour, sir. You’re not wrong about these guys, but if you saw where they came from and what they’d been through I think you’d appraise them differently. But anytime you want to give us a hand on our team, training them up, let me say I can put a good word in for you to."
Frostbite ended that last comment with a short laugh, and a wink.

Momentarily distracted by Frostbot’s comments, Frostbite realised that the debrief was going to be lengthy.

Admin wrote:Crystal Queen wobbles in and sags onto a railing. "Well, that went as well as can be expected…Thank you." she adds quietly. "You'll always have a friend in me." She gave Frostbite a peck on the cheek then went outside to deal with the authorities.

Frostbite, not unused to the attention of the ladies, before he came to his powers suddenly realised how long it had been seen a pretty Elf maid, almost stole his heart. Crystal Queen, seem to have taken a shine to him, and he wondered if there was ever an off time whether a simple drink might help cement a possible growing friendship, outside the tight confines of the mansion and the team. Still he kept a lid on his feelings and thoughts before they ran away with themselves. There was still work to be done for now. And with that, came another voice to bring him back to matters at hand.

Admin wrote:"Boss" said Mary in Frostbites ear piece. "Press and police arriving en masse. Time to go. Reflex is fine, but she'll wake up with a headache and be out of action for a few days. Need to get her back to the base. Ms Stowe can get Wandafar’s machines to work on her."

Giving the necessary orders, Frostbite made sure they had everything and everyone they needed before taking off into the air, through the gap he’d made coming in and away to the ship.

It was good to be going home, and he was enormously relieve that Stephanie was largely ok. But would they be so fortunate next time. Would rash action, lead to harsher circumstances. How could Frostbite assist the team in growing into their roles and yet protect them from greater harm than they could deal with. It wasn’t a way anymore, but it sure felt like the first moves of one.

Sj
Steeple_jackuk
Steeple_jackuk
Cosmic Level

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Wed Dec 09 2015, 23:27

"Everyone strapped in?" shouted Mary as the engines roared to life and the jet spun before speeding off, stealth tech making it shimmer from view.

"We're being tracked..." she spoke into her head set. "Thanks. I'll try that."

Fingers dancing over controls, she glanced again at a jury rigged panel held together with duct tape and bits of wire. "Ah, that's got it. The UK Government wants to know who we are and where we live. Not today."

Frostbite sagged into the co-pilots seat. Behind, the team was in various states of battered. Kevin came up front. "We did good huh? Some of those UKChampion idiots thought they'd handle everything, that we were noobs! Ha!"

David Russell (Terra Firma) spoke up "Give it a rest Kevin."

Kevin turned. "Where were you when Steph was getting her brains blasted in? Or you Thomas? Those fancy gravity powers might have been useful... Sarah, hiding here on the jet. Guess what? That giant locust thing breathed fire! Fancy that? Jeremy, I saw you used your luck powers to protect yourself. Damn. There's only me, him and her on this team with any balls, and I got the sh*t kicked outta me tryin' to make sure this team don't get treated like a laughin' stock. Where'd that get me? That jerk Champion says I'm a liability, a waste of space, can't follow orders, a loose cannon."

"Stuff this. I quit. I'll go it alone." said Surge as he sagged into a seat, arms crossed. "When she gets back on her feet I'll see if she wants to go with me. Surge n Reflex. We'll learn, the hard way, but at least we'll be trying. Most of you lot hide or do nothing, don't know which is worse." He hawked and spat on the floor of the jet.

"Drop me off somewhere Boss. The air in here stinks." muttered Kevin.

OOC END OF ISSUE 4
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Steeple_jackuk Thu Dec 10 2015, 08:27

Admin wrote:"Drop me off somewhere Boss. The air in here stinks."  muttered Kevin.

OOC: Ah man I was going to blast into Surge, Kevin for his offish behaviour. But I can see in getting him out, you're following a natural trajectory for the character. No doubt one in which he'll either be a villain, hunted by those who captured him before or in need of rescue! Either way, you played him well, his king sized ego, was in danger or dominating the other characters who being more placid and circumspect haven't had the same chance to shine. However I hope that Frostbites reaction would also be tempered by his experience. Seeing Kevin as eager to prove himself and therefore not willing to crush him, more like a father can be patient if somewhat exasperated with a son straining to take a wider responsibility than his father knows he can cope with. In the end, not only because I cannot keep him against his will, Frostbite would let Kevin go, simply because the most effective lesson he could learn might be in the school of hard knocks. Hopefully it won't make him bitter, or broken though.

Anyway I'll await developments.

Sj
Steeple_jackuk
Steeple_jackuk
Cosmic Level

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 4 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4