The Vanguard Play by Post Roleplaying Game
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The new Vanguard! Frostbite Issue #4

3 posters

Page 2 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down

The new Vanguard! Frostbite Issue #4 - Page 2 Empty Re: The new Vanguard! Frostbite Issue #4

Post  Admin Thu Nov 05 2015, 19:06

Wandafar spoke via video link from the science lab in the basement. "You hef brought someone... something... interesting. Not human, but changed shape to look like one. Nearest DNA is plant life, but even zen... I vill make sure she gets rest, but as deft as it sounds, vot she really needs is sunlight und a bucket of horse muck to stand in. Sounds weird but true. Zet is my life. Heh."

He continued. "Zis place has automated defences und screening technology to counter scans. Ze problem is zet zese sings, as far as I know, are drawn to plant life. Ze Amazon jungle is a natural target for zem, but maybe zey vait for ze swarm for zet. In meantime, vell, if zey are based in UK you should look at areas of forest on ze map. Zen find areas of forest zet are being cleared. You vill find bad guys there I sink. However zey are an advanced alien race. Don't sink zey are dummies. Hmmm."

There was a prolonged silence as the team in the briefing room glanced at one another, some whispered an aside to the person next door, others started twitching or checking their nails. Then he spoke up.

"I vud, if I vere zem, cover my trecks. Easy for someone vis ze aerial looking down from above to see cleared places. So... we fly, und scan, for powerful holographic projectors, und defence fields to keep people away. So vile it may look - to ze eyes - zet everything is ok und funky, really zere vill be some kind of electromagnetic field thing going on. I vill get right to outfitting ze jet vis things needed."

He cut the transmission off.

"Good talk." muttered Kevin. "Glad we could, you know, exchange ideas and have a really productive two way chat. Yeah."

The others started chatting amongst themselves and Mary sat next to Frostbite. "I can scan the archives, see what we have in the way of active or former heroes. Off the top of my head a guy called Timmy Jones was a hero, now retired. He had this thing where he could invent action figures that obeyed his commands, had life of their own. Doesn't sound fantastic, but some had lasers, all acted independently, could get into places and so on. I could ask Wandafar about the old members of his team. Steeplejack, Ben Nevis, British Bulldog and so on. There's plenty to go at."

OOC I've run out of time (need to hit sack, this sucks Sad ) I will extend this and update Lionheart tomorrow. Now I need to apologise to David for not getting his post done Sad On the bright side I expect to be able to update friday, sat and sunday nights Smile
Admin
Admin
Admin

https://darkeningshadows.darkbb.com

Back to top Go down

The new Vanguard! Frostbite Issue #4 - Page 2 Empty Re: The new Vanguard! Frostbite Issue #4

Post  Steeple_jackuk Fri Nov 06 2015, 19:07

Admin wrote:

The others started chatting amongst themselves and Mary sat next to Frostbite. "I can scan the archives, see what we have in the way of active or former heroes. Off the top of my head a guy called Timmy Jones was a hero, now retired. He had this thing where he could invent action figures that obeyed his commands, had life of their own. Doesn't sound fantastic, but some had lasers, all acted independently, could get into places and so on. I could ask Wandafar about the old members of his team. Steeplejack, Ben Nevis, British Bulldog and so on. There's plenty to go at."

"That would be good, we can use the help and experience of others at this point, as we've no idea what we're dealing with.  If we're going to set up the professor as some sort of bait, then a lot rides on us knowing the odds against us first.  We'd best get a move on looking into depleted vegetation and that way we can determine how best, and where best to set our trap."

Admin wrote:OOC I've run out of time (need to hit sack, this sucks Sad ) I will extend this and update Lionheart tomorrow. Now I need to apologise to David for not getting his post done Sad On the bright side I expect to be able to update friday, sat and sunday nights Smile

OOC:Ok no worries, don't mind following this track, but I am keen that we still move on my plan as outlined in my previous post.

Sj
Steeple_jackuk
Steeple_jackuk
Cosmic Level

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Sat Nov 07 2015, 00:28

Frostbite took the time to visit the Professor, who stood in the garden at the back of the manor, barefoot in soil and looking up towards the weak and distant sun.

She smiled as he walked up. "By your very nature - frost - I should be petrified of you, and what you could do to my body with that searing cold of yours. But I am not. Am I too trusting?" She smiled. Shaking her feet free of the soil Frostbite saw root like tendrils retreat into them, and her skin changed from a green cast to a more human flesh colour. Pulling her cloaked hood tighter around her, she shivered and looked about. "Such a beautiful world, despite mankinds best attempt to shape it to his will. It will avail them nothing when the horde comes. Bickering nations and petty despots will fall, leaving those that stand together too few and beset on all sides by a relentless enemy that will starve them out. I know this, fear it."

"Your friend, Wandafar, has assigned me... protection." she gestured towards the belt about her waist. "A teleportation device, designed to whisk me to safety. He describes it as 'barely functional' but that is better than naught. I have thought on the problem of the 'locust men'. Though they resemble the insects of your world, they are alien, and as such your standard methods of dealing with insect creatures mya not work. May. Or... they may need modifying in some way, enhancing, strengthening."

Frostbot considered. 'A biological pesticide was used in the late years of the 20th century. It was effective but not a guaranteed method of control. In the 1950s organochloride Dieldrin was used, and proved extremely effective... at great cost to the environment in which it was used. In order to ascertain a method of defeating the swarm, we must know our enemy. The capture of one would be recommended. Even if we find their base of operations, they may have planned for such a contingency and sent their message across space to the rest of their horde. Preparation is the recommended form of action.'

"The creatures are drawn to my form, in which, to them, I must appear as some meal to be savoured such as a thriving jungle or vast forest. They will find me, come for me. In the meantime, whilst they lick their wounds, we can examine local news reports for fields stripped of crops, storehouses drained of supplies, woodland annihilated..." the Professor suggested.

"I am prepared to do whatever it takes to ensure the survival of this world, including giving my own life" Professor Koshelvik declared. Frostbite looked upon her, a beautiful, alien (albeit human looking) woman who was the last of her kind. The horde had gorged themselves and grown powerful from their feeding on her people. They had divided, again and again, creating new vast swarms to quest in every direction of space. Soon it would be Earths turn... if... if this scouting party succeeded in sending the message that the last of the planet people had been found, and that the Earth itself was a bounty to be claimed before the other hordes learned of it.

"I will be bait, if you think that best. Be wary though, The enemy hungers, and that clouds its judgement, but when giving time, they can plan, plot and scheme. Hence the deception as Russians to create an international incident. They care little for the politics of this planet, but know when the time comes a divided Earth will be far easier to conquer than one where mankind is united. They have seen their enemy - you - and will plan accordingly. What we consider as tactics, they may well consider, and make moves to act against them. Do not underestimate them..."

"There is... something else." she added, looking away. "I am the last of my kind. A shapeshifting plant with certain powers and abilities, and I carry a heavy burden. It is to me that the responsibility lies to bring my people back to life. I can do it... but only in the right circumstances. Not here..." she looked about "Where life is abundant. Such a deed would be a crime to replace one life with another. Somewhere devoid of life, but possessing certain attributes that allow me to plant my roots and flower, sew seed... I hope, one day, for that ambition to be realised."

Just then the alarm sounded on a wall panel, and Marys face appeared.

Mary called over the comm link. "Seems to be trouble. A fire has been started deliberately at a large chemical manufacturing facility in Littlehampton on the south coast. Apparently it is under terrorist attack, according to news sources though its happened only in the last few minutes. Should we leave that to the police...?"

Common or garden terrorists could be dealt with by the authorities. This was of no cause for con...

Frostbot spoke 'The Littlehampton site is largest manufacturer of biopesticides in the United Kingdom.'
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Steeple_jackuk Sat Nov 07 2015, 20:06

Admin wrote:Just then the alarm sounded on a wall panel, and Marys face appeared.

Mary called over the comm link. "Seems to be trouble. A fire has been started deliberately at a large chemical manufacturing facility in Littlehampton on the south coast. Apparently it is under terrorist attack, according to news sources though its happened only in the last few minutes. Should we leave that to the police...?"

Common or garden terrorists could be dealt with by the authorities. This was of no cause for con...

Frostbot spoke 'The Littlehampton site is largest manufacturer of biopesticides in the United Kingdom.'

OOC: Ok assuming everyone is ready to go, who is able and fit from our previous excursion, we'll explain what is going on, going in.  

We'll need to land the craft nearby to make a quick exit.  
Best inform the police what is happening, if this goes south quickly and a chemical cloud or spillage gets out its far more than bugs we could be picking up.
Also we'd best have some respiratory gear for the team, not sure how everyone will get on with such things, but without suitable protection some of us will come unstuck straight away.

And with that we'll formulate a plane based on what eye witness, social media, etc, footage information can be gleaned on where the fire is in relation to the plant and so on.  Try and find an inconspicuous place to land and get in.  Of course the fact that the bugs have thought to do this, means they are upping their time table, and trying to cover their basis, but it may also be that they are trying to capture one of our own to get the very same information form us, that we want from them.  So the team had best watch each others backs, and that means the jet as well.  Once we're on the ground that best take off, if Mary is piloting we need a watch word to make sure we've not been impersonated by a doppelganger.  So the password will be "St John's ice cream."  I know it sounds odd, but that is the point, personal but not random.  

Sj
Steeple_jackuk
Steeple_jackuk
Cosmic Level

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Thu Nov 12 2015, 02:56

Frostbite filled the team in even as Mary sized them up for breathing apparatus and gave them the low down on his plan.

"Speaking for myself, I'm fine" said a decidedly patched up looking Kevin with his arm in a splint. "The others took a kicking from these things - if thats what this is about. Best make sure we don't rush in or we might lose a few of the weaker people."

Sarah looked across, scowling, but bit her tongue. "My fire powers are probably not best suited to this boss. I'm all for going but I don't want to add to the problem. The thought of being near explosive chemicals sounds really scarey - for everyone else. I'd be ok but not ok with turning the place into a fireball. Maybe I should be on standby in the jet."

OOC I need to check who is still in the infirmary but need to be at home to do that to see my notes.

Mary added "The authorities will probably want superhuman help but don't like having their toes trodden on. I will make some calls."

OOC For my notes more than anything...

Thomas White - Codename: Gravitas
David Russell - Codename: Terra Firma
Sarah Barrington - Codename: Firebrand
Eric Forsythe - Codename: Traveller
Stephanie Miller - Codename: Reflex

Team 2:

Kevin Jackson - Codename: Surge
Jeremy Cotton - Codename: Probability
Michael Adawari - Codename: Rebuff
Fred Garrick - Codename: Inpulse

The new Vanguard! Frostbite Issue #4 - Page 2 Frostbite_Teams

Am sure at least three of the team are bed bound from the first encounter with the 'terrorists' who kidnapped the american ambassador to get Professor Koshelviks super soldier serum. Just need to check which ones to be sure.

David Russel (Terra Firma) piped in. "According to the News reports people are being kept away and houses in the area are being evacuated as a precaution. Sky news are getting a helicopter on the scene supposedly. If this IS these locust men, and it makes sense for it to be them, then this could be a trap." He looked at the others in the briefing room. A few nervous glances took place. "We're all new to this and it's kind of the deep end, but we knew what we were signing up for, right? I'm in anyway."

Mary spoke over the comms. "Official word is for vigilantes, which includes us I suppose, to stay away. The UKGuardians have been summoned and will have a presence on the scene at some point. The authorities from two counties have sent fire crews and Police are in attendance. At best speed we can be there in say, 20 minutes or so. The Jet is being prepped but Wandafar is grumbling. He expected to have more time in the lab rather than 'faffing about refueling ze jet zet you heff already busted up und why do I bother cause zis vun vill end up in pieces like ze lest vun'. Apparently. Anyway, for those that are attending, breathing gear is available and we are ready to go in just under 10 minutes."

As the team (to be confirmed later) rose and headed for the door, David turned to Frostbite "Is it always like this? Never a minutes rest, always alert and ready to go?"

Frostbite thought about his own career. As a young american in World War II he'd been ready to go at a moments notice. This was no different. Still war, just that the rules had changed...

OOC More later...
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Steeple_jackuk Thu Nov 12 2015, 08:00

Admin wrote:As the team (to be confirmed later) rose and headed for the door, David turned to Frostbite "Is it always like this? Never a minutes rest, always alert and ready to go?"

Frostbite thought about his own career. As a young american in World War II he'd been ready to go at a moments notice. This was no different. Still war, just that the rules had changed...

OOC More later...

Frostbite simply nodded, what was the point in elaborating, it was very evident to all that things were clearly chaotic from what Wandafar was grumbling about. But he added with a broad smile, "Never a dull moment, my friend."

OOC:
Ok knowing that the UK CHampions are on root, I suspect we'd best keep down low. If a trap is sprung, I'd rather they sprung it if I am honest. As the Locust aliens won't be expecting them if this is for us. I think I agree with Sarah and we'll take those from the team best recovered mentally and physically, to endure this operation. Once the team is assembled, taking account of who has previously not recovered, we'll get on the jet and try and sneak in behind the lines. One imagines the estate to be quiet large, these places tend to be, so hopefully hiding among the outlying buildings shouldn't be too difficult. And we'll then head in by foot.

It would be helpful to get an idea of the current UK Champions rosta, just want to know who I am up against if we end up facing them. And with shapeshifting Alien Locusts, who knows what we might end up facing.

Sj
Steeple_jackuk
Steeple_jackuk
Cosmic Level

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Fri Nov 13 2015, 04:15

OOC Impulse and Traveller are bedridden for a while, out of action. Rebuff has been 'stood down' by his own request and by Marys recommendation giving his poor showing at the previous mission. Reflex was injured quite badly but is more or less in fighting shape. Those who encountered the Locust Men are all walking wounded but capable. All in all the team is about at half to three quarter strength, so not too bad. So, you have:

Gravitas (Gravity Increase/Decrease. Dispersal and Density Increase powers) - Thomas White
Terra Firma (Earth Elemental, Spirit Travel and Ventriloquism through elemental) - David Russell
Firebrand (Flame powers) - Sarah Barrington (BACKUP ON JET AS POWERS PRESENT A POTENTIAL HAZARD)
Reflex (Vampire of sorts) - Stephanie Miller
Surge (Growth) - Kevin Jackson
Probability (Luck powers) - Jeremy Cotton

I will give a revised line up and the likely attendees of the UK Champions when I get home. Tricky with the android keyboard on lap in power station thing to get things done.

Mary settled into the Pilots seat and turned "Everyone strapped in?"

A few gave nervous thumbs up, some nodded, others looked plain tired, shattered even, after their recent excursions.

Thomas White broke the silence "Do we need to do this? A third of the team is down, another bunch of supers is on the way, and they don't know us from adam. We've all heard about the standard way super heroes meet, usually with fists and energy blasts. Does anyone fancy their chances against the UK Champions?"

Kevin snorted "I do. Bring em on. We'll show em who's top dog round here, right?" he looked over at Reflex with a wink. She shook her head and turned away, biting her tongue as Kevin spoke on. "Maybe we should have ranks in the team, with the highest rank going to those doing the toughest work, and you others as support or to make up the numbers. Let's face it so far you've not been much use..."

Thomas glowered "That's because a dunderhead like you gets in the way trying to hog the limelight and we're trying to work as a team..."

"..yeah? Well in a team everyone has to pull their weight and so far pall you aren't..." snarled Kevin.

Thomas released his buckle, standing up "We'll see about that shall we? Anytime you feel up to..."

"3 MINUTES TO DROP!" shouted Mary, glancing across at Frostbite in the co-pilot seat. "It's actually longer than that but those two will tear the ship apart if they go at it. I'm still waiting for the computer information on the UK Champions. You may want to have a word with the team and put one or two in their place, though I have to - reluctantly - agree with Kevin to an extent. Some are pulling their weight far more than others."
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Steeple_jackuk Fri Nov 13 2015, 15:50

Admin wrote:Thomas White broke the silence "Do we need to do this? A third of the team is down, another bunch of supers is on the way, and they don't know us from adam. We've all heard about the standard way super heroes meet, usually with fists and energy blasts. Does anyone fancy their chances against the UK Champions?"

Frostbite was about to speak before Kevin snorted "I do. Bring em on..."

Thomas glowered "That's because a dunderhead like you gets in the way trying to hog the limelight and we're trying to work as a team..."

"..yeah? Well in a team everyone has to pull their weight and so far pall you aren't..." snarled Kevin.

Thomas released his buckle, standing up "We'll see about that shall we? Anytime you feel up to..."

"3 MINUTES TO DROP!" shouted Mary, glancing across at Frostbite in the co-pilot seat. "It's actually longer than that but those two will tear the ship apart if they go at it. I'm still waiting for the computer information on the UK Champions. You may want to have a word with the team and put one or two in their place, though I have to - reluctantly - agree with Kevin to an extent. Some are pulling their weight far more than others."

Frostbite was a might taken aback by what the team had to say and the way Kevin was clearly chomping at the bit.  A talking to might not be enough, the man was either desperately frightened and or feeling inferior thus overcompensating or he really was a complete numbskull.  

In any case they didn't have time for this, "You two suck it up, if you want to behave like spoilt brats, we'll leave you on the naughty step or I'll get Lionheart to give you a good thrashing behind the woodshed.  Either way, I'm ok with leaving you here for Mary to protect you.  But if you want a place on this team, making use of what you got, you suck it up."  And the last words were said in a dreadfully quiet tone with an undeniable cold hard stare, the like of which only Frostbite could do given how he was at that moment.  

"Ok listen up team, this is how it's going to be, we are here to observe, we only get involved if it turns out the Champions get overwhelmed or things go south.  I want to make sure that we are here to gain info and if possible snatch one of these locust men for information.  We are not here to prove who is the best team or get into a fight.  We will loose, the Champions are a rating way above us and will wipe the floor with us.  So follow my lead, stay low and no activating powers unless directly threatened or I say so.  I hope that is understood."

OOC: Ok so with us getting on the ground, we'll stay loose, in groups of two or three, and spread out with us all maintaining line of sight. If this proves too difficult, we'll get closer together.  

My aim is to find out what is going on, and try not to get noticed.  If we can glean any info or snatch whom we think might be behind this, then all the better.  The last thing I want is for anyone to know we've even been near.  Lets see how many ways we can undo that ;-)

Sj
Steeple_jackuk
Steeple_jackuk
Cosmic Level

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Mon Nov 16 2015, 16:59

OOC Been hard at work behind the scenes. As well as the suggested rules change we have the following:

UKChampions NOV15 roster notes

Information on the UKChampions current roster/lineup and setup. Not too many names you will recognise from your earlier dealings (which was years ago both in real and game time as the team went into the past after that to fight the Nazis in WWII, as well as the aliens, dark shadows, demons and undead, plus everything else I could chuck at you...)
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Steeple_jackuk Mon Nov 16 2015, 18:36

Admin wrote:OOC Been hard at work behind the scenes. As well as the suggested rules change we have the following:

UKChampions NOV15 roster notes

Information on the UKChampions current roster/lineup and setup. Not too many names you will recognise from your earlier dealings (which was years ago both in real and game time as the team went into the past after that to fight the Nazis in WWII, as well as the aliens, dark shadows, demons and undead, plus everything else I could chuck at you...)

OOC: Wow good read and some interesting stuff there. I wonder who we'll have turn up and indeed what our long term exposure will be with the group? I can't help but wonder if those folk we're trying to train might not benefit from being part of this group. Since Joe, has no real secret identity in some ways working for the government and an organisation like the UK champions would not be a hard sell. He worked for the UK army after all. Anyway, did comment on the rules changes and I like them. So onward with the action, for which see my previous post...

Sj
Steeple_jackuk
Steeple_jackuk
Cosmic Level

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Mon Nov 16 2015, 20:58

FROSTBITE and Team

With the jet having landed nearby, the team disembarked and split into small groups. Maintaining contact and with strict orders to observe rather than interact, they kept their distance from the Police cordon that blocked streets and directed cars away. The chemical works was a large sprawling installation with two main gates, East and West at opposite sides of the half mile wide site. The rest of it was enclosed with a ten foot high fence.

Large towers and refining machines filled most of the place, along with large storage vats that rose when they were filled. Judging by the number of Fire engines on site the authorities had the situation under control. As yet there was no sign of the UKChampions. Perhaps it was a false alarm and ...

THOOOOOOOM!!!

The first explosion of a vat lit the sky up with a blinding flash and thunderous shock wave that shattered windows within a range of a half mile. The boiling orange cloud curled in on itself as it rose into the air and the situation turned critical as shots were heard ringing out, then shouts as Firemen ran from the gates, some dragging wounded comrades.

As the team prepared to act they saw laser beams lancing up from somewhere in the compound. Tracking their path they saw the approaching UKChampions flying towards the site...

Crystal Queen - flying under her own power
Bombardier and Tearaway, riding on a rocket sled that looked like something from an old Flash Gordon movie
Asp on his own rocket sled

Stephanie (Reflex) turned to Frostbite. "If that IS the locust men, they have no chance against those guys, right? I mean, come on. Crystal Queen and Bombardier on their should be able to..."

THOOOOOM!!!!

The rocket sled carrying Bombardier and Tearaway exploded as it was struck by several shots, and the hero tumbled through the sky, angling his fall as much as he could to fall towards one of the larger cooling towers of the plant. Tearaway was falling, limp, and Crystal Queen diverted to catch her team mate. Asp raced his own sled down towards his team leader, but came under fire himself!

OOC The laser fire certainly suggests the locust men are on site and causing havoc. By blowing up the UKs largest pesticide plant it could be argued they are removing one of the obstacles in their path towards conquering Britain...
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Steeple_jackuk Mon Nov 16 2015, 22:00

Admin wrote:FROSTBITE and Team

OOC The laser fire certainly suggests the locust men are on site and causing havoc. By blowing up the UKs largest pesticide plant it could be argued they are removing one of the obstacles in their path towards conquering Britain...

Frostbite wasn’t happy, where were the other big team hitters that he had heard about? Now it looked as if they might have to come onboard, but seeing these experienced members of Britain’s Heroic forces go down, wasn’t filling him with a great sense of confidence.

Turning to Jeremy/Probability, Frostbite spoke swiftly. " Your up lad, make it a good one, we’re rooting for you."

With the ability to change probabilities favourably, Frostbite had to hope that the least obvious of the team, might afford a nondescript intervention that wouldn’t blow their cover. However he was aware that they might not have that luxury if Probability didn’t swing things sufficiently.

OOC: Ok so I am not sure what we can do to help, Probability, but if I can lend him some HP I will do. Kind of like working as a team by spending my resources on another team mate to help them succeed, where I can’t etc.

If this goes well, then all good and well. However I know this is supposed to be about us, so I imagine covert opps isn’t something I’m going to be allowed to get away with. Shame I quiet like the whole stealth option ;-).

In any case if it all goes pare shaped, we’d best try and get in closer to our quarry, find out who and what is firing before we repeat what we’ve just seen and get blasted to the middle of next week. My guys can’t afford the luxury of walking away from such as that.

Sj
Steeple_jackuk
Steeple_jackuk
Cosmic Level

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Wed Nov 18 2015, 00:07

The new Vanguard! Frostbite Issue #4 - Page 2 Leadership

OOC That looks like a useful advantage. It's a shame that... Oh wait, it's there on the character sheet Smile You've had it all along, which is entirely appropriate anyway. Right, you have 241 Hero Points at my last reckoning, so I assume you want to spend... what... 21 Hero points for 3 Dice to give to Probability?

Which reminds me your character sheet is WELL overdue for updating. As is Lionhearts, Haunt etc. Annoyingly I couldn't find my Blood of Heroes game book. I know I have one, or maybe two, somewhere, but can't for the life of me find them, so I bought it. Again. Where's the roll eye emoji... ah yes...  Rolling Eyes

The new Vanguard! Frostbite Issue #4 - Page 2 Hero_Point_table

FROSTBITE
HP: 220

"Wha...?" spluttered Jeremy (Probability). "Boss I..."

"You CAN do this and... LOOK! You WILL do this! Now! Go!" ordered Frostbite.

"How do I...?"

"Use your ... your luck 'bubbles' on the falling guy!"

Probability squinted, raised an arm, and ... 'fired'.

OOC Check vs target Number of 16, resistance of 4 using his Luck of 11. Shouldn't be too hard, and those Hero Points could mean a juicy roll. The first two dice (as usual) are the 'hazard' dice. If they come up double 1, it's a bust... and in Probabilitys case, if they come up with 5 or less, his power burns out.

Roll(5d10)+0: 8,4,9,10,5

8,4 are first two, we are fine there. No doubles so 9 and 10 are selected.

Luck 11 + roll (19) = 30 - Target Number (16) means +14 difference. That's +5 to Effect value boosting it to 16. Less resistance value of 4 means 12 RAPs. That's actually one less than he would've gotten under the old rules, but I'm sure it'll even out along the way.

Bombardier makes his Dex check... Roll(2d10)+0:
2,7,+0 Total:9 His Dex is 9, boosted to 21 for the roll. Plus the roll for a total of 30. The Target Number was 11 plus 12 (Difficulty Herculean to catch a falling spinning engine as it came nearby, with one shot at success) so he beat it by 7. It was a simple fail/success check. Job Done... But had he rolled an 8, he would have failed...

A piece of wreckage from the sled, its remaining engine fizzling and still working (sort of) spun wildly through the air... Bombardier reached for it, knowing there was little chance of grabbing on... until it spun over instead of round in circles and he thrust a hand out, catching on! With his weight on the fragment it pointed its thrust down, and he used it to slow his fall dramatically, dropping from twenty feet as the engine gave out and became a useless hunk of metal in his hands!

Frostbites team gasped, and Surge (Kevin) turned "Did you... that guy was a goner! No way he was getting up from that fall! That knackered sled shouldn't have... it just seemed to..."

Jeremy stared at his hands then glanced up at Frostbite. "Thanks Boss. YOU did that. I just... just waved my hands." He grinned, and looked nervously at his hands again.

Crystal Queen formed a glistening slide for her team mate to woooosh down and Asp guided his sled towards the floor. On the way the laser fire got closer and he launched himself into the air, only to adhere to the side of a metal tower as his Sled exploded a heartbeat later!

With the UKChampions at ground level inside the compound, they were now out of sight. Despite his misgivings Frostbites team was still undetected... for now.

"Boss, how do we get through the cordon of Police and Fire Services? Or should we just go round the place till we see some fence to go over and hope we don't get attacked by... well, everyone." asked Stephanie (Reflex). She glanced down at her - and everyone elses - matching black leather/kevlar suits and helmet/mask set ups. "We sort of look like bad guys, assuming they wear black these days."
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Steeple_jackuk Wed Nov 18 2015, 07:57

Admin wrote:"Boss, how do we get through the cordon of Police and Fire Services? Or should we just go round the place till we see some fence to go over and hope we don't get attacked by... well, everyone." asked Stephanie (Reflex). She glanced down at her - and everyone elses - matching black leather/kevlar suits and helmet/mask set ups. "We sort of look like bad guys, assuming they wear black these days."

OOC:So pleased you noticed the leadership thing on my character sheet. To be honest it's such a long time since looking I didn't even realise I had it either. That would have come in handy many many episodes back as well. Oh well, now I am wise at least.

Frostbite took a look at the assembled heroes, Reflex was right. In a battlezone the 'uniform' they were wearing - apart from Frostbite made them look like some gang or heavies, not at all what they stood for or hoped to commend and command.

"All the more point to avoid conflict, and entanglement unless necessary. If we end up in a three way fight, of the 'Locusts' get a sight of us they could shape change to appear like us and muddy the waters considerably. It might not be your idea of heroic, but for now we wait. But whilst we wait, we might not be without options..."

Frostbite addressed Frostbot, 'What are the chances of you seeing what surveillance cameras there are within that building or there abouts to get us a feed on what is happening. Whilst you're at it, is there an entrance we can use to get in, without drawing attention. I want to get us closer on the downlow if at all possible.'

OOC:Ok lets draw what info we can and see what we can do from where we stand. And also begin working on a viable route in which takes us 'below the radar'. If Frostbot needs HP to effect a good roll, then lets use two dice/13hp as or if necessary.

Sj
Steeple_jackuk
Steeple_jackuk
Cosmic Level

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Wed Nov 18 2015, 15:15

Frostbot considered the question.

'The system is not of modern specifications. If you can get me to a terminal I will be able to access all of the video surveillance feeds on this site. A place of this size must have extensive security measures.' stated Frostbot. That meant placing a hand on or near a computer terminal, Frostbite figured, which meant getting inside. His sentient computer program was beyond what modern science could fathom, but having to interface with what must be (to it) stone age tech still presented its problems.

"Boss, we ain't just gonna sit here and wait it out are we?" asked Kevin. "Those UKChampion clowns don't know what they are walking into. We do. If they run into each other and beat the Champions, what's to say they don't change form to look like them, and walk out of here... after setting explosives on the rest of this place!"

Stephanie glanced at Kevin, scowled, then mumbled. "He has a point. Of course, he'd not have thought of that had you not brought it up first.."

Kevin was about to answer when Jeremy called out. "Look!"

Another explosion, bigger than the first, and sending a shock wave out that shook the team even where they stood! Fire crews fell back, the police shouted for people to get down... Even so the firefighters got back to their feet and suited up from head to toe and trailed hoses from their engines. They had no choice. They HAD to go in and stop those fires before they spread, and if the rest of this place went up? Well, that would be an explosion that lit up the sky!
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Steeple_jackuk Thu Nov 19 2015, 08:06

Admin wrote:Another explosion, bigger than the first, and sending a shock wave out that shook the team even where they stood! Fire crews fell back, the police shouted for people to get down... Even so the firefighters got back to their feet and suited up from head to toe and trailed hoses from their engines. They had no choice. They HAD to go in and stop those fires before they spread, and if the rest of this place went up? Well, that would be an explosion that lit up the sky!

Frostbite pondered the question, but then his mind was made up with the even larger more damaging explosion. "Ok we go in, but we go in with caution, in the smoke and debris I don't want anyone being lost, stay in pairs, keep in radio com's contact, and in line of sight where possible. We hold back until it evident we can do no more. I don't want anyone to fail out there today, and I know you don't want it either. So lets keep it together, work as a team...and well you know the drill."

Walking over the to chain link fence, Frostbite extended a hand, and froze it super cool before snapping the fence apart sufficient to break through easily enough.

"I need to get Frostbot..." He said mysteriously tapping his chest, "into a point of contact to access systems. Once we've done that lets press in. Be mindful of the emergency services, as well."

With that Frostbite pressed forward, letting Frostbot give him some heads up as to a suitable 'doorway' into the systems.

OOC:I was almost determined to hang back, play the part of trying to make it easier on myself, but it hardly felt heroic. Anyway two things I'd like to do, firstly keep an eye out for a way for Frostbot. And secondly try and maintain a semblance of cover. To that end, I break in at the chain link fence where its most hidden and least observable. And then when inside continue to maintain line of sight as much as possible. We'll have the teams check in if we loose line of sight at any point. Everyone is on high alert and trying hard to keep eyes, ears etc out for trouble.

Sj
Steeple_jackuk
Steeple_jackuk
Cosmic Level

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Thu Nov 19 2015, 08:22

"You're the boss." mumbled Kevin (Surge)

It was clear his usual tactic of 'charge in like a bull in a china shop' would be a bad idea.

In amongst the smoke and noise the team moved from the cover of one building to another. (OOC reminds me that for the duration of this mission I want Frostys team to hand as a link on the bottom of my sig. If it gets too cluttered I will rethink)

David Russell (Terra Firma) whispered "Hey Frostbite, some of us will have to 'power up' before we do anything. With all this concrete about I might struggle. I can summon my Earth elemental from outside the compound from the grassland nearby but it won't be instant if trouble goes down."

Kevin rolled his eyes, but Gravitas noted "Any preferred action when someone turns ...up?"

He turned, as did everyone, to see three Firemen stumbling through the smoke, dragging a long hose. They looked exhausted, singed and fearful behind their breathing apparatus. Just then Frostbite saw a clearing ahead, like a sort of square in admidst the industrial pipes and machinery/buildings. A series of pre fab buildings stacked on top of one another suggested they'd find offices, but crossing that open square would make them visible to prying eyes. Going round would take time...
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Steeple_jackuk Thu Nov 19 2015, 08:25

Admin wrote:"You're the boss." mumbled Kevin (Surge)

Taking a moment to send Terra Firma off to get himself in place, Frostbite called on his powers to bring down such a force of snow that he hoped not only to dampen the flames and smoke, but also provide additional cover so they might cross safely away from prying eyes.

Sj
Steeple_jackuk
Steeple_jackuk
Cosmic Level

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Thu Nov 19 2015, 08:44

Chilling the air above, and the clouds high in the sky, Frostbite piled on the cold...

... and snow started to fall! On a warm summers day this might not have worked without moisture to freeze, but the snow started to come down, thick and heavy! Large flakes started to settle and his team looked about in wonder!

As did the Firemen, and one of them yelped with joy and relief! The snow started to settle heavy in moments, gathering centimetres and in time, feet, all on the localised area of the refinery!

Outside the plant, people looked up in wonder as it started to snow only over the pesticide plant, and knew that somehow, someone was watching over them!

That said, it would take minutes before enough snow settled to cool the blazing inferno of fires, but it was coming down so thick that his team might slip through unseen to the offices if he chanced it. Go alone or take all?
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Thu Nov 19 2015, 08:52

OOC Heh, Frosties team stats. Just want the PCs stats in there and job done. Should have done this years ago!
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Steeple_jackuk Fri Nov 20 2015, 15:51

Admin wrote:OOC Heh, Frosties team stats. Just want the PCs stats in there and job done. Should have done this years ago!

OOC:Looks good.

Ok Frostbite and the team will now try and slip in whilst the snow comes down. This kinda reminds me of how he got started with his Weather whip, and and wind powers and what not. He's changed a lot since then.

Anyway once inside, the perimeter and nearer to the main buildings, I'll look for something we can jack Frostbot into and go from there. Hopefully with a game plan as to what is going on, we can then start to illicit some sort of strategy, that augments the UK Champions and ideally makes them none the wiser to our having been here.

Sj
Steeple_jackuk
Steeple_jackuk
Cosmic Level

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Fri Nov 20 2015, 17:35

Waiting for the right moment to move through the snow Frostbite lead his team across the square and floated up the stairs to step to the office door and enter...

The office had been evacuated in a hurry. Thomas moved to the computer screen and shook his head. "Password locked. This will takes ages to..."

Frostbite simply walked up, placed a hand within an inch or two of the computer box and the screen unlocked, with multiple screens accessing instantly - as fast as the sub par processor would allow at any rate.

"Wha...?" asked Thomas, but Frostbite was already looking at multiple screens showing the refinery. He flicked through them, noting the locations of the various (lots!) of video feeds and where the team was in comparison.

There.

He saw the UKChampions stood in the shadow of a large building. Crystal Queen was rousing Tearaway who looked shaken after being caught in the explosion that saw their sled destroyed. Asp and Bombardier compared notes in a huddle until Asp twitched, turned and 'spat' what appeared to be gunge from his mouth that unerringly struck the video camera watching them and obscuring the view!

"Touchy." huffed Kevin.

Frostbite continued to scan through the feeds.

The main, largest building of the refinery was the best bet to look inside, and so it was that he saw half a dozen Locust Men planting small square packages onto large pipes, vats and processing machinery... He counted... five... no, there were three more there. Eight. All in their 'natural' forms of man sized locusts. One had completed his task and moved to another, helping to plant charges. Then they were finished... not long till the others were done!
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Steeple_jackuk Sat Nov 21 2015, 09:47

Admin wrote:"Touchy." huffed Kevin.

Frostbite continued to scan through the feeds.

The main, largest building of the refinery was the best bet to look inside, and so it was that he saw half a dozen Locust Men planting small square packages onto large pipes, vats and processing machinery... He counted... five... no, there were three more there. Eight. All in their 'natural' forms of man sized locusts. One had completed his task and moved to another, helping to plant charges. Then they were finished... not long till the others were done!

"Ok change of plans, you guys wanted action, we've got action. I need to disarm or stop those bombs going off or the whole area will be potentially poisoned and who knows what will happen to our friends if they walkin on that lot going off."

Turning to Impulse Frostbite gave him a quick command, "Impulse, I hate to do this, but if things turn ugly you'll be able to get out. But I need you to circle around and warn the Champions that the area ahead of booby trapped. The present problem will be as nothing if this lot go off and this is their priority. Hopefully we've got the intelligent ones on duty today and they'll be sensible enough to see and take not that you're not bluffing. But we can't be sure, so don't hang about. We don't want you taken down or captured, understand. You're off the radar, lets keep it that way. Go."

Frostbite slapped his young team mate on the shoulder with a friendly but earnest gesture of encouragement and support. Then he turned to the others, "Well its time for action. We know the Locusts have a vested interest in destroying this site, and that this must mean they aren't so far away after all. There are hundred, potentially thousands of chemical plants like this one. So they are trying to make things harder, we need to stop them. Work as a team, look for one another and coordinate. Not grandstanding..." The last comment was specifically aimed at Kevin. "and stay on the com links."

With that they left the office and headed around to the site. Frostbite called on Frostbot's new found knowledge to help lead the team to a place where they could head off the Locust men. They had to take them down and even capture one if possible. But they also had to prevent them from, stopping interference before the bombs went off. Just another day as the Vanguard, then.

Sj
Steeple_jackuk
Steeple_jackuk
Cosmic Level

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Sat Nov 21 2015, 13:14

OOC You may need to adjust your post as your team is...

Gravitas (Gravity Increase/Decrease. Dispersal and Density Increase powers) - Thomas White
Terra Firma (Earth Elemental, Spirit Travel and Ventriloquism through elemental) - David Russell
Firebrand (Flame powers) - Sarah Barrington (BACKUP ON JET AS POWERS PRESENT A POTENTIAL HAZARD)

I figure you mean either Probability, Reflex or Gravitas as Terra Firma is currently churning up the nearest park to make his mud mountain man, and Surge isn't likely to sit out a fight. Firebrand is back on the jet as her fire will be more on the 'not very' side of helpful.

Kevin grinned. "At last! Time to kick ass and take some names, and hey, I forgot my pen and paper!"

Stephanie rolled her eyes and turned away, making a gesture with her hand to one of the others. Kevin rolled his neck and popped his knuckles dramatically. "Time to watch how a pro hands out the smackdown! You want I should go in first boss? Scare th' livin' piss outta them?"

Thomas winced, then spoke up "I suggest I strike from the shadows, then Frostbite and everyone else come from different directions to keep them off guard. After our last encounter it was clear these things have superhuman reflexes, strength and durability, not to mention those laser weapons and whatever else they have up their sleeves. Even if we stop them from setting off their bombs they may have other ways of accomplishing their goals."

Kevin shook his head. "Listen to you, like an old woman!" he added "If we hit them hard enough, fast enough, they will go down. We're READY for them this time!"

Jeremy raised an eyebrow at Kevin, then turned to Frostbite. "Whatever you decide boss."
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Steeple_jackuk Sat Nov 21 2015, 15:24

Admin wrote:[color=#0066ff]OOC You may need to adjust your post as your team is...

Jeremy raised an eyebrow at Kevin, then turned to Frostbite. "Whatever you decide boss."

OOC:[i]Ah yes, I did keep the current roster to hand then neglected to look for it. I used your signature forgetting it was everyone not just the ones who were active etc. So assume the above but this time with Jeremy/Probability in place instead.

" Keep calm Surge, save it for the time when it really matters. We go in as Tom, Gravitas has suggested. Ok Ke...Surge, you're with me. Remember people stay on the coms. Let's do this."

OOC:

So me and Surge will be together
Reflex and Terra Firma together
And as soon as Probability is back he will team up with Gravitas. In which case assume they go together, but Gravitas hangs back so that he can help. If Probability gets into trouble then have him use his powers to aid his escape as necessary before swinging around and joining us.

Sj
Steeple_jackuk
Steeple_jackuk
Cosmic Level

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next