The Vanguard Play by Post Roleplaying Game
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The New Vanguard! LIONHEART Issue #4 - The Mission, Part 2

2 posters

Page 3 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Go down

The New Vanguard! LIONHEART Issue #4 - The Mission, Part 2 - Page 3 Empty Re: The New Vanguard! LIONHEART Issue #4 - The Mission, Part 2

Post  Steeple_jackuk Sat Nov 21 2015, 09:38

Admin wrote:Nowhere Man???

Lionheart was momentarily stunned. Not by the appearance of the man, but by the unshakable feeling of Deja Vu, he half stumbled as he blurted out the name, "Nowhere Man! Is, is that you?"

He remembered that his whole life was checkered, a bizarre series of crossing and crossed timelines in which he was everywhere, and well nowhere. Of course not all of those past selves knew of or were aware of one another. But some were and tried to interact in their active goal. Could this be the case here.

Lionheart couldn't be sure, as was mindful of his danger sense as well as the potential for Nowhere Man to be a canny foe.

OOC:Ok, since it would be wrong of me to attempt and attack first and ask questions later I am on the back foot slightly wanting to know more before going forward. However I am ready to react with swift action should things turn ugly. Read to dodge, danger sense switched on and speed amped to the max.

Sj
Steeple_jackuk
Steeple_jackuk
Cosmic Level

Back to top Go down

The New Vanguard! LIONHEART Issue #4 - The Mission, Part 2 - Page 3 Empty Re: The New Vanguard! LIONHEART Issue #4 - The Mission, Part 2

Post  Admin Sat Nov 21 2015, 13:03

The Newcomer looked at Lionheart for a moment, then answered.

"You know of me..." he rasped. "But I don't know you. Tell me, a quick question. How much is Executor paying you to do his dirty work?"

Lionhearts danger sense had initially alerted him to someone coming out of the wall behind him, and he sensed the man in front may well turn hostile if he gave the wrong answer or reaction.

"Before you answer." growled the man in black "I have means of testing whether you're lying, thanks to a gadget a friend gave me..."
Admin
Admin
Admin

https://darkeningshadows.darkbb.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Steeple_jackuk Sat Nov 21 2015, 15:17

Admin wrote:The Newcomer looked at Lionheart for a moment, then answered.

"You know of me..." he rasped. "But I don't know you. Tell me, a quick question. How much is Executor paying you to do his dirty work?"

Lionhearts danger sense had initially alerted him to someone coming out of the wall behind him, and he sensed the man in front may well turn hostile if he gave the wrong answer or reaction.

"Before you answer." growled the man in black "I have means of testing whether you're lying, thanks to a gadget a friend gave me..."

Even more taken aback that what or rather who he was looking at was someone familiar in an already unfamiliar time, Lionheart shrugged and said. "The James Caldwell I knew would fight for good, and the honourable, whether as the Wraith when he was part of the Lore Knights, or alone and our sometimes friend against the Shadow Demons. As for this Executioner, if he was the guy that nearly killed Tim Jones, then I'm here to bring him in before he harms anyone else. And James if that means you, then so be it."

With that Lionheart stood defiant he had a suspicion who this friend was, and therefore if this was the same James Caldwell, albeit from this time and place, nonetheless he thought him to be a decent and honourable man. But he couldn't take chances.

Sj
Steeple_jackuk
Steeple_jackuk
Cosmic Level

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Sat Nov 21 2015, 16:17

Finally! A reaction!

The Dark Figure seemed to twitch ever so slightly, then walked forwards. Standing only feet away from Lionheart he muttered "Who ARE you? You seem... familiar, but I've never met you. The Lore Knights... Wraith... I know that, obviously. Shadow Demons? I..."

He went quiet.

"Alright. Answer me these questions - truthfully!" he held up an arm with what appeared to be a mangled wristwatch with wires poking from various places. "Hold on... just a sec. Wandafar is a genius but such a pain in the ahhh here we go. Right."

"Name. Powers. Connection to Executor. Connection to Timmy Jones. Where did we meet. How... are we friends? And what..." he looked aside, and flexed a fist. What do you know of the Shadow Demons?"

He held the wristwatch up and Lionheart saw a simple pair of leds - red and green - more of less soldered to it. Wandafars handiwork for sure.
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Steeple_jackuk Sun Nov 22 2015, 13:18

Admin wrote:"Name. Powers. Connection to Executor. Connection to Timmy Jones. Where did we meet. How... are we friends? And what..." he looked aside, and flexed a fist. What do you know of the Shadow Demons?"

He held the wristwatch up and Lionheart saw a simple pair of leds - red and green - more of less soldered to it. Wandafar's handiwork for sure.

"I thought I knew Wandafar's handy work when I saw it. Did he compulsively watch TV when he put that together for you as well. Can't complain though, for all his mannerisms, he gets results right?

I'm Lionheart, powers will keep you here all week, but lets say Psi and Speed for now. Executer wasn't someone I knew till I took out his goon, Flood, early and he name dropped. Timmy, was someone I was put in touch with....long story. Suffice it to say that I came on his untimely execution and sort of ressus. Anyway he is here and I'm here trying to keep him from becoming melted plastic. And yes we're friends, but it was a long time ago. How do I put it. Well if that is Wandafar's making this is either gonna fry your circuits or light up and go puff. In anycase I am a time traveller and met you in a different earth, different timeline. I know that you were trying to find a way to avert the death of family and had a whole let of mess involving these Shadowy demon, alien types some of whom contradicted the nature of their species and were looking to avert a disaster by empower folk like us to fight back."

Lionheart, fast as he was, took a moment to breathe. "Right, sorry hope you got all that cause I am not about to repeat it and more importantly I'm on the clock here. Who knows if this Executor fella as caught up to Tim and his co-horts who are looking for some sort of secret base here. I guess they are looking to do some sort of smash and grab. But perhaps you can tell me more, on the way. If you catch my drift."

Lionheart finished thumbing over his shoulder to indicate that they should get moving. If this was Nowhere Man then he imagined he'd feel the same way.

Sj
Steeple_jackuk
Steeple_jackuk
Cosmic Level

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Sun Nov 22 2015, 14:04

The dark clad figure listened without comment then nodded. "Let's go."

The pair of them flew down the stairwell as Nowhere Man explained.

"Executor is the consummate assassin. He, or possibly they, plan details down to the last variable. Only by being something that can't be planned for is it possible to get the drop on him. During the 'Civil War' he attacked the Deputy Prime Minister and put him in a coma. I hunted him down and ... well lets say he wasn't a problem for 18 months or so. Recently there was a disturbance at a prison in Wales and after checking up it turns out Executor escaped."

They passed down several floors as he spoke.

"I thought him a skilled opponent, but human, with gadgets and the like. Unfortunately I was wrong. He can divide himself into duplicates, all with the same abilities and basically create a small army of himself. In addition he freely hires on goons like Flood and others. That's how I found out where he was heading, after ... running into... one of his possible hired goons. I extracted the information from the man which led here. There was a team active from the basement of this place called the Justice Legion. They disbanded after a couple of years and the base was sealed up. Only those in the superhero community knew of it. I don't attend those shindigs but there are ways of getting in to places like that. Information is a potent weapon."

They arrived at the lower floor. All pipes, darkness, and dripping water, Nowhere Man turned. "I don't know if that long list of powers you have includes night vision so it might be best to stay behind me. You have... a force field, right? No need to tell you to keep it up and..."

He paused.

Lionheart didn't need to speak.

OOC Roll(2d10)+0: 8,6,+0 Total:14
Danger Sense 8 +14 vs TN11 +4. +4 Effect. 8RAPs

There is something coming from down the corridor behind the pair. Something big, and fast!
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Steeple_jackuk Sun Nov 22 2015, 15:14

Admin wrote:Lionheart didn't need to speak.

OOC Roll(2d10)+0: 8,6,+0 Total:14
Danger Sense 8 +14 vs TN11 +4. +4 Effect. 8RAPs

There is something coming from down the corridor behind the pair. Something big, and fast!

Touching his arm briefly Lionheart whispered his warning before turning to try and gage what he could from what could be seen or heard.

OOC:Not sure what I can and cannot see, since I was following Nowhere Man, but if there is anything I can make use of here I will do. Speed, and all to the fore. But depending on what we face, may switch over to Psi, and mindblast, if I can see or get a bead on what it is we're facing.

Sj
Steeple_jackuk
Steeple_jackuk
Cosmic Level

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Sun Nov 22 2015, 22:17

Lionhearts hand passed through Nowhere Mans arm.

The man in black looked down at it, then at the darkness. "Dreadnought. Muscle for hire, like Flood. Makes sense that he hire Flood too." he growled. "He's faster than he looks, and if he gets a run on there's little can stop him. Not really my cup of tea. I'll be back."

And with that he flew up through the ceiling!

Lionheart blinked. He'd... he'd left him to face...

Now he could see a lumbering hulk, hear thudding footsteps getting faster, and faster... a dark shape looming out of the near pitch blackness, sparks and tearing sounds of rending metal as pipes and metalwork was torn from the walls by shoulders too impervious to care!

OOC With his Dex 22 Lionheart comfortably wins initiative. His problem is that the mass coming down the corridor is filling the space, literally scraping wall to wall with his mass! Lionheart gets the sense that he's more agile, and not as dumb as he seems though. A dangerous foe! Over to you... he's less than 50 yards away and approaching ... well, he'll cover that distance in seconds!

The New Vanguard! LIONHEART Issue #4 - The Mission, Part 2 - Page 3 3992657_1896811_juggernaut_by_glen_angus
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Steeple_jackuk Mon Nov 23 2015, 08:38

Admin wrote:The New Vanguard! LIONHEART Issue #4 - The Mission, Part 2 - Page 3 3992657_1896811_juggernaut_by_glen_angus

Seeing that it was going to be difficult to go down, around or in any other direction, that left Lionheart with one inevitable solution unless he stood to fight. Somehow having this man mountain descend on him like that, felt like playing too much into his game. So he turned and ran, focusing his senses, out in front of him, he was 'looking' as best he could for danger or and an opportunity for a wider space. It did also occur to Lionheart that he was being herded into a trap, but that might be one he'd need to spring, if necessary.

OOC:
Ok so we move forward and try to avoid whatever hazards lie in wait in front. Whilst trying to take account of the environment - such as it is, looking for an opportunity to turn the tables. If there is a recess, some door, some way out we can step to one side at the last minute and then come behind the great big lunk, so be it. If not we have to press forward. Power reserve split between speed and defence so I can try and best manage what might be ahead.

Sj
Steeple_jackuk
Steeple_jackuk
Cosmic Level

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Mon Nov 23 2015, 09:22

Lionheart sped down the corridor, being chased by the man mountain!

"COME BACK RUNT!" bellowed the fellow, who could clear see through the darkness with clunky looking night vision goggles. Lionheart ducked to the side into a doorway and into...

Oh. The room was warehouse size, but the floor had either been removed or fallen into the level below as it now consisted of a framework of I beams that looked well past their best, but able to support Lionheart (who could fly at any rate) without problem. His opponent though... well, he was like a bull in a china shop! maybe an opportunity here...

Hearing Dreadnought skid to a halt and with heavy thudding steps, come back towards the doorway (after much grunting and cursing to turn inside the 'small' corridor) Lionheart looked about. The lower floor could be escaped into, but this room was self enclosed. The rusting machinery was bolted precariously to the wall, the floor was gone save for iron beams, and the ceiling had suffered much the same fate, with rotted I beams criss crossing above as well.
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Steeple_jackuk Mon Nov 23 2015, 21:34

Admin wrote:Hearing Dreadnought skid to a halt and with heavy thudding steps, come back towards the doorway (after much grunting and cursing to turn inside the 'small' corridor) Lionheart looked about. The lower floor could be escaped into, but this room was self enclosed. The rusting machinery was bolted precariously to the wall, the floor was gone save for iron beams, and the ceiling had suffered much the same fate, with rotted I beams criss crossing above as well.

OOC:Oh Yes...

Lionheart's smile could have lit up a small third world village, as he looked at what could be an interesting playground. But first to get the behemoth behind him mad, and get those handy night vision goggles.

"Hey I heard flood talking about you. He said that you were reluctant to take this mission because you were afraid of the dark. Did baby do a little whoopsie in his nappy all over again?" Lionheart said in his best imitation of what he assumed would be a mother talking down to baby. In any case moved precariously forward, seemingly uneasy on the girders and planks and tried to look none to confident. Even managing to look like he nearly slipped and couple of times and that his bravado was trying to cover what appeared to be his unease at crossing the skeleton framework of criss crossing girders.

OOC:I don't imagine that trapping this guy here will last long. And if he is anything like the Juggernaut you've used a picture of I can't help but wonder if the helmet gives Psi protection. So I am going to try and lure him in, and use my Telekinesis, when he is far enough in, to steal his night vision goggles and whip them over to me. Hopefully trying to balance will give him enough to worry about.

However he might try something else, seeing me appear to wobble and what not, mad or not, he might just try and smash the girders near him without stepping out onto them. In which case I will still try and grab the goggles whilst he does this and obviously take evasive action. If push comes to shove, I might even use my TK power to shove him from behind into the room or some such, depending on what moves he makes I want to try and have a go at countering in order to get past him and find out where this Executor fella is. Since it was the prison break out we tried to stop that sprung him, I feel a certain obligation to set that straight. Nice meta narrative by they way. I had completely forgotten about all those wanted felons that got out. Nice to see a past episode playing out here.

Sj
Steeple_jackuk
Steeple_jackuk
Cosmic Level

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Tue Nov 24 2015, 10:41

OOC It's hard to keep track of all the storylines since we've had so many over the years, so I only remember the 'sort of' recent (probably January this year I think?) and the 'major' ones, like World War II, the Darkening Shadows saga and so on. Still haven't forgotten about that mysterious organisation that Lionheart found which abruptly disappeared. That was from March 2013...

As Lionheart spoke, he watched the reaction on the behemoths face.

"Darkness? Ha! Do you think I care about what I crash into? What I hit breaks, little man! And so will you!" he moved to the doorway, then paused. Looking at the beams and the way Lionheart inched backwards over them, he grinned.

Lionheart thought for a moment. Nowhere Man seemed pretty clued up. He'd been quite specific about bringing Flood along, possibly to keep Behemoth in check. Why? Was there needle between the two, some history or could the walking puddle have some means of keeping Dreadnought down? It would be hard to run - or do anything - if Flood could hold Dreadnought inside a cube of water, always in the middle. Was that it, or... maybe something else?

"Flood needs ta stay outta my way. As fer you, well the boss ain't payin' extra for offing you clowns, but I don't mind freebies ta get ridda loudmouths..." he reached to get the I beam and sunk fingers into it as if it were modelling clay! With a groan and a grinding sound he started to pull up, and rivets started pinging somewhere like bullets!

Lionheart glanced down. The chances of a fall hurting this guy were nil.

OOC His best option is Superspeed to grab the goggles. telekinesis isn't a patch on his enhanced dex. With that in mind...

Power Reserve 6 points to Superspeed.

Superspeed 14 adds to Dex (8) to give 22.

Attack (trick Shot) to target the goggles.

First, power reserve nose bleed thing...

Roll(2d10)+0: 4,3,+0 Total:7 No problems there.

Then the superspeed goggle grab...

Lionheart runs along the beam as Dreadnought tears up the I Beams like they were made of putty, and snatches at the goggles.

OOC Shouldn't be too hard. +4 OV for the trick shot.

TN11 + Dex 8 + OV 4 = 23. Heh. So long as the roll isn't a 2, you are fine.

Roll(2d10)+0: 7,8,+0 Total:15

Lionheart stood where he'd been a second ago and adjusted the goggles to fit. They were way too big but tying knots in the straps helped. He did so, adjusted the goggles and saw everything in green/darker green rather than relying on danger sense and ultra agility!

The big man started "Hey..."

A heartbeat later with a woosh of air...

"Who put..."

And a second later, I beam forgotten, reaching for his face ...

"...out the lights?"

Lionheart heard him growl... near blinded or not, this man was as strong (physically) as an opponent he'd faced for quite a while!

OOC And LH wins initiative as Dreadnought used his action to rip the I beam out (Str vs Body, which he succeeded). So you're up, and you have night vision, he does not. And there is the question of why this guy doesn't like - or maybe even fears, flood...
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Steeple_jackuk Tue Nov 24 2015, 11:25

Admin wrote:OOC And LH wins initiative as Dreadnought used his action to rip the I beam out (Str vs Body, which he succeeded). So you're up, and you have night vision, he does not. And there is the question of why this guy doesn't like - or maybe even fears, flood...

OOC:Ok I am guessing for all his strength he is afraid of water or drowning or something.  It has to be something like that because clearly in a straight up match of strength this guy would win.

Moving forward Lionheart knew that brute strength alone would not beat this man, but where strength failed precision might win.  He was looking for two things a way to hit the man, so it would hurt a critical point and or get that helmet free so he could set the Lion on him, and hopefully send him to sleep for a good long while.  

Meanwhile Lionheart kept up the banter, "Ok so you don't like Flood, let me guess its water.  You've an aversion to baths or maybe standing under the shower.  Oh no, I know, you are allergic to water!  Right.  All that drip, drip, dripping, all that sloshing about.  Can you imagine being at sea, how you'd feel with nothing below you save thousands of gallons of the stuff oozing around you, holding you up but threatening to pull you down to its watery depths.  Cutting you off from light, life and loved ones.  If anyone could love you, the sea could, its embrace would be cloying, wouldn't it..."

OOC:And so on as I use my dex, speed and martial arts in combination to strike a critical blow, as best I can.  All the while whilst trying to dodge and caper around.

Sj
Steeple_jackuk
Steeple_jackuk
Cosmic Level

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Tue Nov 24 2015, 23:57

Dreadnought paused "What! You... you know NOTHING!" he bellowed, and he took hold of the I Beams, intent on ripping the whole lot up!

Seeing his chance, Lionheart raced in to deliver a punch!

OOC Haven't gotten round to doing updated Lionheart yet (sorry) but I will take his Skills as they are right now which means LH attacks with +4 Dice or +4 to apply to effect, resistance or opposing value. I guess it's dice, but you might choose different next round.

Right, going for ... devastating blow? It's much harder to hit (+8 Opposing Value) but adds a whacking great +12 to Lionhearts puny 8 Strength (at the moment, we'll address that. By making Class 3 characters with 1500 points the Class 5s would be - by that reckoning - a minimum of 2500, and maybe much more).

Lionheart uses 6 Power Reserve on Super Speed, 2 on strength. He has Dex 22, Strength 10 and +4 dice from Martial Artist. Going for a devastating attack against the big heffalump. Class 5 vs Class 4. who wins?

Let's see.

Dreadnought has Dex 7, surprising for such a big man. His target number is 18. That is boosted to 26 due to Lionheart going for the big hit.

Roll(6d10)+0: 8,7,1,10,5,6 Can you believe that? 6 Dice rolled and all different. So, no double, but 10 and 8 are decent rolls. Plus Dex 22 for a total of 40, less TN26. That's a hit with +5 Effect value... and Lionheart has 10 Strength, +12 from Devastating Attack and now +5 from the hit. That's 27 Effect value! (Superman/Doomsday level)

Dreadnought has 17 Resistance value so takes 10 damage.

Ka... POW!

Lionheart expected Dreadnought to fly through the air after landing one of his most powerful ever punches, right on the chin! Instead the big man grunted, rubbed his chin and muttered "Nice punch runt." The hero noted the floor all around the big man had been rippled and torn up by the force of the blow!

"My turn."

OOC Dreadnought spends 10Hp to soak up 4 damage meaning he takes 6 and is on Body 8. His HP total is now 65. He then spends 13HP on 2 Bonus Dice for his own attack. He has 52HP remaining.

Roll(4d10)+0: 8,5,3,7 No doubles, take the 7 and 8. His attack is 22, Lionhearts Opposing Value is 22. A hit, but does he do any damage? With his force field up Lionheart has 16 Resistance. 18 Strength vs 16 Resistance means Lionheart takes 2 points of damage.

Speeding in, landing his blow and moving to speed away, Lionheart is clipped by a backhand from the big man, and his force field shudders! "Stand still punk! Damn speedsters think ya so clever! Well all I need is ta land one good hit on ya! I'm da strongest dere is!" bellows Dreadnought.

He's not of course.

Not even close.

Lionheart looked at his foe. Despite his bravado he got the idea that Dreadnought hadn't been hit THAT hard for a long, long time...

OOC Lionheart is on 7 (of 9) Body. Want to absorb that damage? In any case it's your action next.

Nosebleed check ... Roll(2d10)+0: 4,9 Power Reserve 8 vs Body 9 + 11 TN (20 total). The power reserve attacked with 21 (+1 effect value) so 9 power Reserve vs 9 body... no damage.
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Steeple_jackuk Wed Nov 25 2015, 07:59

Admin wrote:He's not of course.

Not even close.

Lionheart looked at his foe. Despite his bravado he got the idea that Dreadnought hadn't been hit THAT hard for a long, long time...

[color=#0066ff]OOC Lionheart is on 7 (of 9) Body. Want to absorb that damage? In any case it's your action next.

OOC:You seem to be speeding through these calculations a lot faster and it's easier to see where things are meant to be going.  Appreciate the turn around in any case, as it makes these fights seem more meaningful if you get my drift.  Lionheart will absorb the damage and use HP for the next attack.

Lionheart continued to rail on the man, playing and plucking at what he assumed was a fragile ego.  Truth was the blow was powerful, but now it was time to hit back.  

OOC:Ok so go for same as before, but just to make sure I don't fail let's use 2 die's worth of HP to get back and crack this nut good and proper.  If this doesn't do it, I am tempted to see if we can't swing by him and run on, he might be easier to deal with elsewhere, than delaying now.  I'm concerned that Tim might be in far worse trouble and this Executor is still on the loose, with his other cronies.

Sj
Steeple_jackuk
Steeple_jackuk
Cosmic Level

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Wed Nov 25 2015, 22:36

Lionheart, buoyed with confidence after his impressive strike, follows it up with a thousand punches delivered in a fraction of a heartbeat!

OOC No real need to use hero points on attack with Martial Artist. You can, but it would be expensive and wasteful. Skills are now designed to 'make your own luck', just like in real life. Sorta Smile

LIONHEART HP 169

Attack same as before, 22 Dex vs 7 Dex + TN 11 + 8 from Devastating Attack (total TN is 26 again). Using Martial Artist (+4 dice) means your 6D10 come up with:

Roll(6d10)+0: 10,10,3,6,8,9,+0 Total 20 DOUBLE. Boom! Didn't even need the extra dice from Martial Artist! Follow up roll Roll(2d10)+0: 2,9,+0 Total:11 not bad. Roll 31 plus 22=53, less TN26. On the chart 27 over the top adds +7 Effect to Lionhearts 10 strength, +12 from devastating attack=Effect value 29 - Resistance value 17. 12Raps damage. Even more than last time!

Dreadnought absorbs 5 at a cost of 15HP, leaving him on 1 Body and 37HP!

This time Lionhearts blow slams the big man back into the corridor... where he turns to see Nowhere Man dragging Floods human form towards the fight. "I see you have your own way of dealing with Dreadnought. I was going to suggest drowning him." he hissed.

Dreadnought turned, looking at Flood then Nowhere Man. "Oh crap." he muttered. "Who cares about you anyway!" he roared "You got a fancy rep but you ain't faced me, Nowhere Scumbag! Gonna deal with this jackrabbit then you going DOWN! Gonna tear you up little man! You may scare some people but not me! They ain't me, they ain't got my rep! You an' them other punks... Majestic, that Watkins asshole... they ain't got nothing on me! You ain't even in my league punk! Watch me, you think I'm slow? HA!"

OOC He spends 30 of his remaining HP (NOW ON 7HP) to buy +4 dice in his attack on Lionheart. Even so, 7 Dex vs 22... I don't think so. TN is 33. Roll...?

Roll(6d10)+0: 4,4,10,10,9,5,+0 Total: 20 BOOM double. Well that might make things interesting. Need a great follow up roll. Roll(2d10)+0: 2,2,+0 Total:4 BOOM another double. And the next roll... Roll(2d10)+0: 8,10,+0 Total:18. Holy smoke, one of the biggest rolls yet! 42 rolled (!) plus Dex 7=49. 16 difference means +6 Effect boosting strength up to 24 less Resistance value of 16 means Lionheart takes 8 damage and is sent flying backwards into the room with no floor! He thuds against the wall at the back, with dust rising, and blinks stars away!

"HA!" bellowed the big man. "See? SEE? WHO'S THE DADDY? EH? EHHH?" he roars, beating his chest. "COME ON!" he spits "YOU WANT ME? YOU AIN'T MAN ENOUGH!"

OOC Lionheart has taken 8 damage, how much do you want to absorb? Take a look at the last ditch defence (blue section) of the table in my signature for costs. Then you're up. You act before Nowhere Man. Remember you took that big hit but this guy is wobbling... Over to you. I can't see a mega roll like that coming up again soon, but you never know... 42 holy smoke...

Oh yeah, Nosebleed check...

Roll(2d10)+0: 5,3,+0 Total:8 No problems again
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Steeple_jackuk Thu Nov 26 2015, 07:34

OOC:Wow I thought i was doing good until that punch landed big time. I'll use 21 HP and absorb 6 body and then get right back at it. Not sure if this guy does have a Psi defence, the temptation is to assume because you used the Juggernaut picture he is the same. Still the Martial arts hasn't failed me, yet! So maybe get back up speed in and use Martial arts for one final devastating attack. Hope them doubles aint finished yet.

Sj
Steeple_jackuk
Steeple_jackuk
Cosmic Level

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Thu Nov 26 2015, 08:51

LIONHEART HP 148 BODY 7 (of 9)

OOC Yeah, remember that this guy is an upper class 3/class 4 level character, so no pushover. You guessed right about the mind shield thing (like Juggernaut he'll have been there before) but thankfully unlike Juggernaut he's not completely immune to harm. So long as no mega rolls come your way, I should think you have this. Famous last words...

Lionheart stuck to his task, superspeed and Martial Arts combining with superhuman strength and agility, landing thousands of punches with fist blurring speed!

Nowhere Man hadn't abandoned him it seemed. Indeed, he seemed to think Flood posed some danger or could exploit some weakness of Dreadnought, which seemed unlikely but if this was the same James Caldwell he knew from... well, various time lines, then he would have done his homework and punch above his weight. This one seemed darker, grimmer and more determined than... oops! He ducked a huge meaty fist and got back to the task at hand. As the Dreadnoughts fist passed over head, he nipped in to deliver punches to the gut, armpit, ribs, hips, kicks to the knees, groin (repeatedly) and stamps to the feet before switching to move about, placing blows on every part of Dreadnoughts body before the punch finished swinging!

OOC Here we go. Dex 22, Str 10, Devastating Attack, Martial Artist +4 Dice vs Dex 7 +8OV (Devastating attack) (TN26) RV17.

Roll(6d10)+0: 2,8,2,6,5,4 Right, here we go indeed. This is a tricky one. Do we go with the Double 2 or take the 8+6? I will assume on this occasion that you go with the double and cross your fingers for the second roll, but if you'd like to state a preference (low double or higher result) I'll bear that in mind. Need to check the same with the other guys. Proof that while the skill changes will dole out more doubles, there's no guarantee of a high roll. If the total is less than 14 after the next roll, well, the choice was wrong. If higher, it was justified, this time.

Roll(2d10)+0: 3,9,+4 Total:16 Well, bettered the 14 by 2 so it was worth it. Just. Action Total (AT) 38 vs TN 26= 12 difference, +5 Effect. That Boosts Lionhearts Str to 15, +12 from Devastating Attack. I *think* that should be it. EV27 vs RV17 = 10 Damage. The most Dreadnought can absorb is 3 points (so he does, now on 1HP) but he's dropped (-6 Body but not killing combat so Zero body)

With a sound like a pneumatic drill, only faster, the blur that is Lionheart, complete with crackling psionic energy about him, surrounds and batters Dreadnought, seemingly invisible aside from the flash of energy, and finally (after a second or two) the giant starts to topple, and Lionheart speeds to Nowhere Mans side.

THOOM!

Smashing face first into the concrete, Dreadnought is OUT.

Nowhere Man looks at him for a moment then turned to Lionheart. "You didn't even break out into a sweat. Quite frankly, I'm astonished. Dreadnought is not, by any measure, a pushover. He's at his best in open spaces where he would hit you with his charges, but as you found out occasionally he can land a hard shot in toe to toe fights and he's no limp wrist. I suppose we don't need this clown now."

Flood looked up, groggy, having been woken with smelling salts by Nowhere Man. The dark clad man leaned down and hammered a fist into his face! Lionheart noticed that his hand seemed to shimmer as he landed the blow, and Flood (in his normal form) stood no chance of resisting. "These two won't talk, and if they did Executor won't have told them more than they needed to know. Which isn't much." he said, casually dropping Flood onto the concrete floor. "Whatever is in here is important enough to hire top class goons - and make no mistake you took out two 'Names' here today - to watch his back. That might mean there are more, or traps ahead. Executor is about 'the Excellence of Execution'. When I beat him up he was a skilled, world class assassin who planned every detail and prepared for every contingency. He's moved on, raised his game. We need to be cautious." With that he started to walk down the corridor towards the lower levels.

Then he stopped and turned. And held out a hand to shake.

"You... know... me. And I... I think that somewhere, some... when... you and I are friends. Not something I can say I have a lot of in the here and now, so I'd be honoured to count you as one."

Lionheart got the idea that statement had taken a lot of will to blurt out. This Nowhere Man truly was a loner, shunned and hated by peers and enemies alike, wanted by the law and with a bounty high enough to turn the criminal that took him out away from a life of crime... but he was never less than single minded in his purpose - to Seek Justice and eliminate evil.

OOC Oh yeah. Nosebleed thing. I assume you drop power reserve so I don't have to keep rolling...

Roll(2d10)+0: 6,5,+0 Total:11 No problem
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Steeple_jackuk Thu Nov 26 2015, 22:06

Admin wrote:Then he stopped and turned. And held out a hand to shake.

"You... know... me. And I... I think that somewhere, some... when... you and I are friends. Not something I can say I have a lot of in the here and now, so I'd be honoured to count you as one."

As someone now more used to being out of time, out of friends and out of the loop, Lionheart could relate to Nowhere Man, in fact he often felt they were Nowhere Men. Still he took the offered hand, adding. "Friends, can't choose them, but never overlook em."

Changing the tone, Lionheart concurred with the fact that Dreadnought and Flood might have company. "I err, smelled more than one distinct scent perhaps as many as four, but in a place like this one cannot be sure."

Given the experience Nowhere Man had, Lionheart was willing to follow his lead. Chances where he knew this place better than he, however when it came to what they might find they were both in the dark.

OOC:Ok glad that fight ended well. Could nearly have been so different. The use of the Night vision goggles is handy and something I plan to hang onto for now. In any case senses on alert, proceed with due caution as best I can.

Oh and to answer your question about doubles or high roll, as a rule I think go with double. Its a judgement call though, If you got two 2's and say an 9 and 10 you're unlikely in that case to choose the double. But I think anything less than that, say a 7 and 8 you'd be tempted to go with the double. At least I would, so lets play it that way.

Sj
Steeple_jackuk
Steeple_jackuk
Cosmic Level

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Thu Nov 26 2015, 23:30

LIONHEART and NOWHERE MAN

The pair drifted through the corridor, levitating/flying and making their way to the depths of the old power station. Dripping water, the occasional clang of metal or clatter suggesting something had fallen over somewhere kept Lionheart on edge, but Nowhere Man seemed unperturbed.

Finally they came to a corridor that seemingly came to an end. "Bricked off. But we're not here for the corridor end." He floated down the corridor and looked down. Lionheart saw the dust had been disturbed, and a square section of floor had been opened, then closed. "The main entrance to the Justice Legions base is nearly a mile away. This access tunnel was originally built to service some of the power station but was never used. For that purpose. Instead the Legionnaires were able to leave here in their civilian identities and avoid the media hubbub that surrounded their short existence. Never did find out what happened to Major Impact. The others mostly retired or turned up somewhere else. The Civil War did that to people. Friends against Friends whilst the bad guys did what they liked."

"Idiots."

He turned to Lionheart. "I'm intangible. You'll have to pop the hatch. This is Executor we are talking about. Be careful."

OOC Lionhearts Danger Sense told him nothing untoward was behind the hatch.

Roll(2d10)+0: 1,5,+0 Total:6...
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Steeple_jackuk Fri Nov 27 2015, 07:25

Admin wrote:He turned to Lionheart. "I'm intangible. You'll have to pop the hatch. This is Executor we are talking about. Be careful."

OOC Lionhearts Danger Sense told him nothing untoward was behind the hatch.

Roll(2d10)+0: 1,5,+0 Total:6...

"If this Executor is as meticulous as you claim, then I suggest leave nothing to chance. Check that he hasn't left a parting gift. Wouldn't be surprised if the door was rigged to explode for instance."

Although Lionheart had nothing to go on, nonetheless he had suspicions and the obvious dead end would itself suggest something beyond. Leaving a door to be opened would seem not in keeping with the Executor's MO.

OOC:Such a low roll tells me nothing, but from what I know and the pause in action I suggest something is amiss. So as a result best be careful for who knows what.

Sj
Steeple_jackuk
Steeple_jackuk
Cosmic Level

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Fri Nov 27 2015, 08:40

Nowhere Man chuckled, a strange sound coming from someone so grim. "Wait there a second."

He vanished!

Then faded back into view. "Not one but THREE explosives... and something else."

He tossed a hand size chunk of solid state electronics and glowing gel packs. "This. Seen it before. When it goes off it douses everything nearby in a spray that neutralises superhuman abilities. The Government developed it as a weapon, and supposedly abandoned the project on cost grounds. Someone either got hold of the recipe or the government is lying. Take your pick."

Lionheart lifted the door open with telekinesis and looked down with the night vision goggles. The ladders leading down into the darkness were now clear, but anyone unaware would have been caught in several explosions, the second of which might have depowered them, and the third... well, without powers chances were an explosion and fall would kill!

"Let's move."

=========

At the bottom of the ladders Lionheart followed Nowhere Man, until the dark clad vigilante paused.

"Sorry. Incoming call. Damn. Hostage situation at a supermarket of all places, not far from here. Coincidence? I think not. Executor knows whoever will come after him is likely to have communications or be part of a team. That means dragging people away to deal with a new crisis, less targets for him. The police will have to sort it out. Let's go."

Executor had placed peoples lives in danger, and Nowhere Man seemed to care little or not at all - his goal was to get the man, not deal with the obstacles. Could Lionheart be that single minded?

OOC Roll(2d10)+0: 8,8,+0 Total:16 DOUBLE plus Roll(2d10)+0:1,4,+16 Total:21

Lionhearts danger sense went off. Something up ahead. On the walls, a spray of some kind, then a current applied to the place where it'd been sprayed. What? He was dealing with technology Wandafar might be impressed by. He blinked the brief vision away and saw that Nowhere Man was a little bit ahead now, still intangible, but just about to get to the spot...
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Steeple_jackuk Fri Nov 27 2015, 14:37

Admin wrote:Lionhearts danger sense went off. Something up ahead. On the walls, a spray of some kind, then a current applied to the place where it'd been sprayed. What? He was dealing with technology Wandafar might be impressed by. He blinked the brief vision away and saw that Nowhere Man was a little bit ahead now, still intangible, but just about to get to the spot...

He hated the idea that somehow the target, in this case the Executor, become more important to all other goals along the way. But then as his Danger sense alerted him, Lionheart had to push aside the concerns he had for a moment.

"Wait!" He hissed, before explaining rapidly what his danger sense had alerted them to. What and who were they facing? Advanced tec, an insidious and devious mind, who'd not only planned but had the means to implement such designs. Such a waste, to think that his ultimate goal was to harm and kill.

Lionheart looked to Nowhere Man, "How do you want to handle this?"

Since he had no idea what they faced, it was of interest to him to see how they progressed from here.

Sj
Steeple_jackuk
Steeple_jackuk
Cosmic Level

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Fri Nov 27 2015, 14:53

Nowhere Man paused, then slowly advanced to where Lionheart pointed.

"Strange. Some kind of liquid with a current passing through it." he pulled a small device from his belt and held it up to an eye, adjusting it. "Magnification doesn't go up high enough, but I'd guess this is nano tec. Passes a field of some kind to it's opposite number, the field... well, whatever it does, wont' be beneficial. Executor clearly wants time alone to do this thing in the Justice Legions vault." He turned to Lionheart. "Thanks for the heads up." Then he thrust an intangible hand at the liquid! It sizzled, electricity playing across its length all around the walls and roof/floor of the passageway in this spot. When the electricity dies, Nowhere Man explained. "When i was wraith, one of my powers was to control or disrupt machinery I inhabit. Still have it, don't do it so much. Without the heads up I'd have walked straight into that trap. Good work."

They continued on...

=========

Minutes later, without any more interruptions, the pair came to a solid looking steel vault door. It was closed, but the dust had been disturbed.

"Walls... reinforced concrete and possibly something else. The HQ is basically a box dropped into the ground and built up around. Been in it once, with a former Legionnaire who sealed it up tight. The key code consists of transmitting a frequency scrambled transmission with a set pattern of numbers and digits. Virtually uncrackable, but..."

He sighed. "The former justice legionnaires and their very close friends and allies had a chip implanted to allow them access. Timmy must have had one. Didn't know he was a Legionnaire, and can't have been for long as they weren't around for more than 2 or 3 years. That's why he was attacked, and as a visible target with no secret identity, he was easy for Executor to find."

"Have you any ideas on how to get in? I can pass through this - I think - but there may be defences. If not, I will have to crack this the slow way to get it open. Not had to work at a machine for quite a while..."
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Steeple_jackuk Fri Nov 27 2015, 19:39

Admin wrote:"Have you any ideas on how to get in? I can pass through this - I think - but there may be defences. If not, I will have to crack this the slow way to get it open. Not had to work at a machine for quite a while..."

OOC:Hmm the way you phrased that suggests there might be a way for me to get through this? However I am not seeing it unless I can use my super senses in some way that allows me access? I mean its a steel cage right, so diggin in and around it would be the same as facing the door. But the only thing I could work out is if my super senses, like my Postcognition to see what was once done to get in here? I mean if Timmy has been here, and he no longer has the chip implanted he must have got in somehow. If I can see what he did, could I do the same?

If that is the case I will, as necessary, boost my ability through power reserve and think of using HP where needed to make sure I don't fail. Failing that, no got no idea how to get in.

Sj
Steeple_jackuk
Steeple_jackuk
Cosmic Level

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next