The Vanguard Play by Post Roleplaying Game
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The New Vanguard! LIONHEART Issue #4 - The Mission, Part 2

2 posters

Page 5 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Go down

The New Vanguard! LIONHEART Issue #4 - The Mission, Part 2 - Page 5 Empty Re: The New Vanguard! LIONHEART Issue #4 - The Mission, Part 2

Post  Steeple_jackuk Wed Dec 09 2015, 22:44

Admin wrote:Wartiger groaned. Lionhearts keen vision saw something beading on his forehead. Sweat? He'd huffed and puffed when sprinting across London but barely broken a sweat?

"Uhhhh. Gettin' too old fer this sh**" he groaned. He reached round and rubbed a hand down his back. "Damn. What's that forcefield made of? barely touched it." He walked unsteadily towards the vault door and paused to give the invulnerable form of Dreadnought a kick as he went past. "OW!" he cried, as Lionheart winced at a cracking sound. "Damn! I just broke a toe!" he shouted, hopping about... "What...?" he spluttered, then looked at the inviting gap between vault door and frame. "This ain't right..."

"Hmm let me look you over, I have some skill with medicine." Lionheart didn't voice the fact that the force field clearly had done more than just repulse Wartiger. Could it be some sort of nullifying field, effectively 'knocking out' the powered part of an individual on contact. One would hope for a limited time. But that made their situation worse, Dreadnought could come around anytime. Nowhere Man was within and they, as yet still had no means of breaching the force field. Which now had a deadly side effect.

"I bet Frostbites companion could get us in in no time." Lionheart mused as he looked over the still struggling Wartiger. Using his advanced skills and training in medicine, together with his other powers he spent some time trying to evaluate what was effecting Wartiger, and what, if anything, Lionheart could do to help him.

OOC: I'm happy to do what I can, hopefully Wartiger is only partially effected and that the effect wares off quickly. If this is what the forcefield does to a powered individual, wonder what it would do if it was overloaded. I wonder if we could get Dreadnought to charge it whether it might bring it down. Hmm. Anyway Wartiger first. Then perhaps embark on waking up Dreadnought to get him to charge at me so I can sidestep and he smack the Force field. If nothing else it might just knock him out for a week and have him out of our hair. And at best it might get us in. Just hope he doesn't die in the attempt though.

Sj
Steeple_jackuk
Steeple_jackuk
Cosmic Level

Back to top Go down

The New Vanguard! LIONHEART Issue #4 - The Mission, Part 2 - Page 5 Empty Re: The New Vanguard! LIONHEART Issue #4 - The Mission, Part 2

Post  Admin Thu Dec 10 2015, 22:17

OOC You sussed that out too fast! Might have given the game away with Wartiger doing it first but I wondered if you would put the pieces together of this (admittedly basic) puzzle. And so...

"Damn. I ain't felt this bad since before I had my... ahhh hell." spluttered Wartiger as he slumped onto his backside.

Lionheart confirmed what he'd thought had happened - that the Force Field was but one aspect of the protective measures of the base, one that Wartiger had never encountered before given his freedom to enter and leave thanks to the chip keyed to his dna. Why would he need to? Indeed, the Justice Legions HQ had never been the target of such a determined attack before now.

The question, as Lionheart put to himself, was, how long would the effect last?

Lionheart looked over at Dreadnought, and listened.

The mans heartbeat was slow, but speeding up. The beating he'd gotten - twice - from Lionheart hadn't dampened the mans ability to recover, possibly at a rate faster than Lionheart himself did!

The big man groaned.

Wartiger looked alarmed, and grunted as he heaved his unfit bulk to his feet. "Feels like I got lead weights tied to my arms and legs. I ain't gonna be no use to ya man! Best ready those speedy knuckles again! Where's that coward, Nowhere Man? That scumbag is always runnin' out, leavin' others ta do th' fightin'..."

Dreadnought stirred...

OOC LIONHEART HAS RECOVERED ALL LOST POINTS OF BODY, MIND, SPIRIT, IF ANY LOST. Roll(2d10)+0: 5,6,+0 Total:11 HEALING COMPLETE.

Dreadnought has had quite a battering. He's dumb but he's not stupid, so may need persuading to have another go...
Admin
Admin
Admin

https://darkeningshadows.darkbb.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Steeple_jackuk Fri Dec 11 2015, 14:57

Admin wrote:Dreadnought has had quite a battering. He's dumb but he's not stupid, so may need persuading to have another go...[/i][/color]

Lionheart gave it some thought, how would he get the OX to charge at him. He wasn't stupid, though still not bright, the one thing he could do was to stage something. Make Dreadnought think that he had him, where he wanted him. And at this point perhaps a knocked out Wartiger might help.

OOC:
Ok this is what I am looking to do, and hoping that I can get Dreadnought to fall patsy to it.

1. Pick Wartiger and move him to the entrance of the Base.
2. Use my Telempathy to try and get through to Dreadnought, maybe plant a suggestion that an opportunity arose that could get him back his bragging rights.
3. If I need to, I'll remove his helmet and leave it one side, within easy reach. Then place the mental suggestion, and await him getting up.
4. As he gets up, conveniently placed behind us with the entrance the other side. I will pretend that Wartiger has been badly hurt, kneel down and lift him up.
5. The big act is to make out that though I am skill with Martial arts, unless I am moving fast I have no real strength in static situations. Therefore I am holding this guy
and a sitting duck for a quicker opponent whilst I am trying to lift him.
6. I want to present our being caught 'unawares' as a golden opportunity for Dreadnought to strike.
7. Then when I hear him, my danger sense goes off etc, leave it to the very last moment before jumping out of the way and letting Dreadnought slam hard into the forcefield.

At this point both to convince him and to make whatever other rolls I need to make, consider an unlimited budget on HP, after all if we don't get through this forcefield we ain't going nowhere. Hopefully it won't come to that, and I won't have blown my stash, but who knows its the chance you got to take, right.

Sj
Steeple_jackuk
Steeple_jackuk
Cosmic Level

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Sat Dec 12 2015, 00:29

OOC Lionheart can't control anyones mind, or change their emotions (though in the rework that can be added if you want). However, he can use his Charisma to Intimidate and that might just do the trick.

Lionheart scooped up the barely mobile Wartiger and moved him to the Vault door entrance.

He turned and saw Dreadnought groan, then start to get up. He stopped when he saw Lionheart.

"You.... I don't even know who you are, and you kicked my arse twice! You don't look like that clown Adjutant, but you sure as hell hit like 'im. look man... what I'm bein' paid... ain't enough ta take another whuppin'. I'm outta here!"

He got up and made to leave. Wartiger looked over. "Hey man, you gonna pussy out? Got your ass kicked? Repeatedly? You're done. That's it. You think you're big league? Uh uh. Little league from now on. You ain't gonna get a job as a doorman, never mind an enforcer."

"You don't jack..." snarled Dreadnought. "I still gotta rep. Sometimes you don't win 'em all. I can bounce back... get enhancements..."

"Ha! You ain't got a rep no more. You're just a big dumb jerk too big fer his boots, ain't got no skills, no rep, you ain't got jack..."

"I got MORE THAN YOU!" he bellowed. "You, runt. Step aside. Fat old has been is mine! MINE!"

He started towards the pair of them, then paused, knowing he was in for another hiding. Wartiger grunted, then groaned. "If I could... " he glanced at Lionheart "...just get up... man I could whip ya. An' I'm a has been. At least I was some one, ya never will be..."

Lionheart looked at Dreadnoughts face. The man was livid... but clearly fearful of another whupping!

Wartiger seemed to know this, then looked up at Lionheart. "Hey man, that drug you use to pump up your speed and strength, you want ta give some o that juice ta me so I can whup this clown?"

Lionhearts response was smooth and instant. "I haven't any left. I used a triple dose the second time I faced him, a double the first. I've used a weeks worth in an hour! I don't even know what it will do to me!"

Dreadnought stopped... and a smile started to cross his face... "Yeah, right, like I was born yesterday..."

"Get outta here pussy. Maybe he still got some o the juice left in him..." snarled Wartiger. "BOO!"

That made Dreadnought jump... and get angry!

"I'LL TAKE MY CHANCES! YOU ARE GONNA BE A SMEAR ON THE GROUND, THE PAIR O YA! MY REP IS GONNA BE INTACT IF NO ONE ELSE KNOWS WHAT HAPPENED!"

"Whoa! Wait on man." said Wartiger, laying it on. "Can't take a joke? Maybe there's some... hey man... seriously. Give me the juice, any you got! I need to... we need to get outta here, this dudes crazy!"

And Dreadnought charged at the pair!

OOC Roll(2d10)+0: 7,1,+12 Total:20 Dreadnought doesn't even get close (TN33 with Lionhearts Dex 22)
Power reserve nosebleed thing Roll(2d10)+0: 6,6,+0 Total:12 DOUBLE! Ouch... Roll(2d10)+0: 3,3,+0 Total:6 DOUBLE DOUBLE! Ouch... Roll(2d10)+0: 6,4,+18 Total:28 +6APs (Power Reserve used to boost speed)=34 vs TN11+Power Reserve 8. +5 Effect. 11 Effect vs Body 9, Lionheart takes 2 damage, which assume he absorbs.

LIONHEART HP 130 BODY/MIND/SPIRIT all full

Waiting till the very last second, Lionheart scooped Wartiger up and moved aside as Dreadnought roared past them and smashed into the force field!

FWASSSSSHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!

Clearly Dreadnought was more powerful than Wartiger had been, and the field fluctuated through a number of different colours before going 'Pop!' and Dreadnought fell forwards, visibly reduced in size and virtually covered by his own oversized clothes! Wartiger breathed a sigh of relief and muttered "I could always get under someones skin. I guess same wid you, but I had more practise kid." He knelt down to check Dreadnoughts pulse. "He's alive. The way he's shrunk I guess his healin' factor ain't an issue no more. Fer a while at least. We best get in there. I guarantee you thought. Executor knows wut happened. That punk is like your coward ass friend Nowhere Man. Knows stuff. Thinks he's smart. He is though..."

Lionheart didn't know whether he spoke of Nowhere Man or Executor, but the darkness of the Justice Legions headquarters beckoned...
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Steeple_jackuk Sat Dec 12 2015, 08:54

Admin wrote:Lionheart didn't know whether he spoke of Nowhere Man or Executor, but the darkness of the Justice Legions headquarters beckoned...

OOC:Just to say my idea wasn't to coerce Dreadnought by mind control, more simply just trying to trigger or push his buttons.  However Wartiger did a far better job and rose the to occasion admirably.  Phew not sure how else we were going to get through that forcefield.  I like puzzles, however I'm useless at them.  I remember a D&D game where we were trying to get through a forcewall.  And everything we tried failed.  Its really frustrating when what the DM intends (and sometimes they think of an idea that is ridiculously simple, so much so that the players overthink it and fail to grasp the significance) and we couldn't work it out.  Which left him, having to provide heavy hints.  Which feels like cheating, at that point the puzzle stops being fun.  Which is why I enjoy our games so much, because every choice is presented like a puzzle, what to do next?  But unlike the above example there is more than one way to go.

Lionheart patted Wartiger on the shoulder.  "Friend that was just what we needed a bit of tactical taunting.  You did good.  Lets hope that we can match it again."

Lionheart looked ahead into the 'cube' wondering about the layout, the local defences and potential traps that Executor would have installed.  He had trapped himself in, but how had he intended to get out?  Why, was he still here?  Lionheart had question, the answers were only to be found within.  But clearly speed wasn't going to help, save to trigger whatever nasty surprises remained.  So pressing forward, mindful that a forcefield stood in the way of his problems, but not so for Wartiger, he flicked back and forth between his senses, giving each room the once over, before moving on.  

OOC: Ok as said, increase forcefield, strength and look to keep alert, I'm particularly minded of my danger sense.  Oh and yes lets absorb that previous burn out damage with HP.  Thanks.

Sj
Steeple_jackuk
Steeple_jackuk
Cosmic Level

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Mon Dec 14 2015, 21:59

Wartiger inched towards the doorway where Dreadnough lay across the threshold. "Ya know..." he said, reaching a hand for the gap...

Lionheart was about to shout "WAIT!" but Wartiger waved a hand over Dreadnoughts body. "Sometimes the bigger they are, the harder they disrupt a forcefield..." He turned and shrugged, grin on his face "Best material I had to work with, sorry."

The impact, and the energy drain required to suck Dreadnought dry of superhuman abilities had clearly overloaded the forcefield much like a circuit breaker tripping. That might mean they only had a short time to get through and into the Justice Legions HQ.

Wartiger paused at Dreadnoughts unconscious form. "We should move him. He's a puny ass human, like me at the moment, so if that forcefield goes back up it'll slice 'im in half." He seemed to consider "Much against my better nature..."

OOC You already unlocked the forcefield thanks to the big guy
Smile

Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Steeple_jackuk Tue Dec 15 2015, 07:38

Admin wrote:Wartiger paused at Dreadnoughts unconscious form. "We should move him. He's a puny ass human, like me at the moment, so if that forcefield goes back up it'll slice 'im in half." He seemed to consider "Much against my better nature..."

"I hear you brother. However I am too much of a humanitarian to be so brutal in execution. Let's shift him, outside." Lionheart was aware that if Dreadnought awoke and revived he'd be on the loose again. But if he was left within the base and had no one to look out for him, he might also become another victim. Something Lionheart didn't need to dog him. So moving, as only he could, he hefted the limp form outside. Stripping him of his garb, which he then brought back inside.

After a quick examination, to see if there was anything here that might help him in the future, he spoke up again. "Right, enough fun and games let's get going, I am sure there is more fun to be had yet."

OOC: Ok so lets go deeper into the base and find out what is going on here. Of course taking all reasonable and even unreasonable precautions as we go.

Sj
Steeple_jackuk
Steeple_jackuk
Cosmic Level

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Thu Dec 17 2015, 20:17

The costume was of an extremely tough carbon fibre like material as befit a practically indestructible superhuman.

There was little in the way of technology about it though. Either it was of magical origin or had little to do with Dreadnoughts powers.

Back in the vault, Wartiger took the lead, though he huffed and puffed as would an ordinary human in a poor physical condition. "That damping field won't last too long, Hopefully. I won't be much help in a fight though."

OOC Roll(2d10)+0:4,5,+0 Total:9 + Danger Sense 8. Total 17.

Lionheart didn't detect anything in the way of a threat... until three metal cylinders appeared seemingly from thin air!

"Gahhhh!" shouted Wartiger as the cylinders hovered in the air and each sprouted four metal tentacles from its body as it advanced towards the heroes!

Lionheart realized they'd been near microscopic in size and restored to their normal almost man like dimensions. Did Executor really think these could stop him?

OOC Lionheart goes first. What are you using Power Reserve on, defences, actions, etc. You are walking through a large hall that looks to have been stripped of furniture and items of interest, as befits a former superhero base that had been decommissioned.
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Steeple_jackuk Thu Dec 17 2015, 22:21

Admin wrote:Lionheart realized they'd been near microscopic in size and restored to their normal almost man like dimensions. Did Executor really think these could stop him?

OOC Lionheart goes first. What are you using Power Reserve on, defences, actions, etc. You are walking through a large hall that looks to have been stripped of furniture and items of interest, as befits a former superhero base that had been decommissioned.

Lionheart spoke out of the side of his mouth at Wartiger, "These mean anything to you? Perhaps part of the base's defences?" Lionheart had to wonder if they were decommissioned tec or something else the Executor had brought along.  

In any case the Executor had been a canny and cunny advisory.  His level of planning, his clear knowledge and the advance tec he had access to indicated a sizeable level of resource, funding and backing.  Lionheart had to wonder who was behind all this.  Checking his coms, he sought to contact Wandafar, "Hey Wandy, you should get a load of this tec I am fighting down here.  Has someone met your match?  Should I bring one home as a souvenir, I am sure you can use the scrap for something useful."  In truth...

OOC: assuming coms are not blocked

...Lionheart was keen to get Wandafar's opinion on the devices and if he had any ideas about how to take them down.  No doubt they had their own sophisticated anti tamper mechanisms as well as offensive capabilities.  

OOC: Ok Paul need a bit of a ruling here.  I was thinking that with my super speed and thief skills could I try and tamper with them in some way useful to taking them out and getting us beyond them.  Opening a hatch, messing with their innards, doing the equivalent of a wedgie or something.  Alternatively, I am thinking of using my Telekinesis to get them to fly into one another, or spin them around so if they fire a beam it lances around and hits one of their own that sort of thing.  If my Telekensis isn't strong enough, then boost to speed, force field and strength and try and do it by hand.  Hoping that my force field protects me from nasty electric shocks of force fields around the as well.

Sj
Steeple_jackuk
Steeple_jackuk
Cosmic Level

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Mon Dec 21 2015, 22:23

OOC Interesting idea. The Flash has (I'm sure, but David could probably confirm as he's pretty encyclopaedic with comic knowledge) disassembled stuff at super speed. I reckon the best way to approach it would be as a trick shot attack (making it harder to hit) with damage actually being to disable/disassemble the robots as opposed to destroying them.

So with that in mind Power Reserve to Superspeed (6 points to bring up to 14 and as a result boost Dex to 22) then attack with a trick shot (made harder to hit AND to damage because of the special nature of the attack) and a critical blow (to boost damage which will be reduced because you are taking it to bits instead of pounding it into scrap) to overcome any defence it might have.

The only other issue then is whether you want to go for all three of them (making it harder to hit and damage, but success means you get a pile of nicely stacked parts) or just a single target, and whether you pile any hero points/dice into the attempt.

Lionheart spoke to Wandafar at superhuman speed, and, to Lionhearts surprise, the genius responded!

"Ha!IhedzecomputersetuptotranslateyourmumbojumbointosomethingIcould skrrzzzz crackle fizzz... oh crep." he muttered. "You broke it! I vant to see zem! Don't bust zem up!"

Wartiger turned. All he'd heard was 'Buzzzzzzzzzz!' as Lionheart spoke too fast for him to understand! "Hey man, there's like three robots here. You gonna do yo thing or what?"
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Steeple_jackuk Tue Dec 22 2015, 07:30

Admin wrote:[color=#0033ff]Wartiger turned. All he'd heard was 'Buzzzzzzzzzz!' as Lionheart spoke too fast for him to understand! "Hey man, there's like three robots here. You gonna do yo thing or what?"

"Yupthatisexactly what I plan to do." Lionheart said as he slowed his speech sufficient for Wartiger to understand.

OOC:In for a penny...lets go for all three, this is why we have hero points right? If we use 30 points and get 4 die, two on attack and effect that will hopefully give us what we need to accomplish this plainly stupid move ;-).

Sj
Steeple_jackuk
Steeple_jackuk
Cosmic Level

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Wed Dec 23 2015, 22:06

OOC Right, Dex 22 plus roll vs TN11 + Dex 7 + Modifier (Difficulty) 8 = 26.
Roll(6d10)+0: 2,5,1,4,7,1 Oh dear. That's about as terrible a set of results as we've seen. Roll 12+Dex 22 total 34 for the Attack. +4 Effect to add to Str 10. 14 Str vs RV10+Modifier 4. No damage.

Power Reserve Nosebleed thing... Roll(2d10)+0: 4,6,+0 Total:10 NO EFFECT

LIONHEART HP 100

Lionheart zipped about and achieved... well, nothing really.

The three robots remained intact as the hero failed to make an impression on them, save to give them a light buffing that left them shiny and polished!

Wartiger spoke up "Well man? You doing anything?"

One of the robots lashed out at Wartiger, who yelped in surprise!

OOC Attacking on Wartiger. Depowered he's an ordinary human...

Roll(2d10)+0: 4,5,+0 Total:9 + Dex 7 (Total 16) vs TN11+Dex 3 (14). Hit +2 Effect. Str 9 + 2 vs Body 4. 7 damage.

Wartiger goes down under a flurry of metal tentacles.

OOC Attack on Lionheart. Team attack, but against Dex 22 it's probably not an issue.
Dex 7 + Roll Roll(2d10)+0: 10,7,+0 Total:17 + Modifier (Team attack) +2. Total 26. Hit, +3 Effect. 13 Str vs Resistance Value (with force field) 16. No damage.

Second attack, same numbers. Roll(2d10)+0: 3,5,+0 Total:8 Missed.

Lionheart saw Wartiger go down but wasn't sure if he was dead or not. There was a lot of blood...

OOC Lionheart goes again...
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Steeple_jackuk Fri Dec 25 2015, 19:35

Admin wrote:Lionheart saw Wartiger go down but wasn't sure if he was dead or not. There was a lot of blood...

OOC Lionheart goes again...

OOC: right same again but this time with added damage, please. If that fails then we just go for blowing them up. Can't mess around after spending that many HP and still failing badly.

Sj
Steeple_jackuk
Steeple_jackuk
Cosmic Level

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Wed Dec 30 2015, 00:00

LIONHEART HP 70

OOC I think I messed up the result last time. You did of course go for a critical blow, which reduced the RV from 14 to 8 meaning you did 6 damage, but still not enough to bring them down. With that in mind...

Another 4 dice and going for trick shot and critical blow, but if I understand you want to go for MORE damage, devastating attack? That will make it even harder to hit. You sure? I'll assume so as the last strike didn't make much of a dent. Here's hoping the dice are kinder this time (they couldn't be much worse after rolling half a dozen of 'em...)

TN11 + Dex 7 + Modifier (trick shot and devastating attack) 12 = 30

Dex 22 plus ...

Roll(6d10)+0: 7,10,10,3,9,9,+0 Total:20 Now THAT is more like it. TWO doubles, we'll take the double 10 I think! The follow up...
Roll(2d10)+0: 6,9,+20 Total:35 + Dex 22=57, +7 Effect.

Str 10 + 7 = 17 Effect Value vs RV10 + Modifier 4 - Modifier 12. 15 Damage!

Lionheart sped like a whirling dervish, a blur of motion as he physically pulled rivets and bolts from the robots and in his wake lefft a pile of neatly stacked parts!

If at first you don't succeed...

Lionheart moved to Wartigers side. He was alive, but barely! Moving expertly, drawing on training received in the 22nd century, Lionheart attempted to stabilise the former hero.

OOC Medicine check. Int 8 vs TN11+Difficulty 7 (18). You don't need to use HP as you get an extra 4 dice from your world class medical training (8APs medicine) Roll(6d10)+0: 6,7,6,2,7,7,+0 Total:14 plus Roll(2d10)+0: 3,2,+14 Total:19 + Int 8=27. +4 Effect to 8 intelligence. 5RAPs.

Lionheart uses bandages and his training to ensure the bleeding from Wartigers terrible wounds is stabilised - so long as he doesn't suffer any more injuries. He is literally at deaths door. The hero knew he would have to attend Wartiger again in 2 minutes to check the wounds again. Would that give him long enough to get into the bowels of this place, deal with Executor and get back to save Wartiger?
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Steeple_jackuk Wed Dec 30 2015, 21:54

Admin wrote:Lionheart uses bandages and his training to ensure the bleeding from Wartigers terrible wounds is stabilised - so long as he doesn't suffer any more injuries. He is literally at deaths door. The hero knew he would have to attend Wartiger again in 2 minutes to check the wounds again. Would that give him long enough to get into the bowels of this place, deal with Executor and get back to save Wartiger?

Lionheart was torn as to what was best to do. Leaving Wartiger in this state, wasn't ideal. More so if some other forces, loyal to the Executor stumble across him. But at the same time, Lionheart knew all too well how difficult it would be to predict what would and could happen in the next two minutes sufficient to be certain as to what would happen next. One thing he did know, whilst Tim had got here himself, Wartiger was here because of Lionheart. And if it came down to it, Timmy was already living in borrowed time as well as a borrowed body. But Wartiger had the chance to live, and Lionheart didn't want him dying on him.

Looking about he wanted somewhere 'safe' to leave Wartiger whilst he scouted ahead, giving himself enough time to double back and check again. He begun to wonder if he was simply outclassed and if this Executor was more than a match for him, given how he had done so much preparation already.

OOC: Ok so look for a safe place to 'stash' and secure a stabilised but still very vulnerable Wartiger. If things get dicey, I'm thinking of pulling out and saving Wartiger, so bearing that in mind I will not seek to get into something I can't extricate myself from in order to save him. Having said that I got a feeling that somewhere along the line, without a live Timmy I'm stuck here, hence the stashing Wartiger idea.

Sj
Steeple_jackuk
Steeple_jackuk
Cosmic Level

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Fri Jan 01 2016, 21:55

Speeding through the abandoned power station, Lionheart found a couple of dry rooms where there was no risk of the roof caving in.

Unfortunately Wartigers medical condition was the problem - he needed to be in a hospital or... or have his superhuman abilities restored. Having to move relatively slowly (for him) Lionheart moved Wartiger to one of the power station rooms and made him comfortable. He checked on his condition.

With a sigh he knew he'd have to check again in another minute to administer vital first aid!

He had a clear choice to make now. If he went back down into the vault to apprehend Executor and save Timmy Jones, then Wartiger would die!

OOC Cold, cold choice to make. Such is the heroes' lot! your call...
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Steeple_jackuk Fri Jan 01 2016, 22:47

Admin wrote:Speeding through the abandoned power station, Lionheart found a couple of dry rooms where there was no risk of the roof caving in.

Unfortunately Wartigers medical condition was the problem - he needed to be in a hospital or... or have his superhuman abilities restored. Having to move relatively slowly (for him) Lionheart moved Wartiger to one of the power station rooms and made him comfortable. He checked on his condition.

With a sigh he knew he'd have to check again in another minute to administer vital first aid!

He had a clear choice to make now. If he went back down into the vault to apprehend Executor and save Timmy Jones, then Wartiger would die!

OOC Cold, cold choice to make. Such is the heroes' lot! your call...

Lionheart hated to leave the case unsolved, but simply allowing Wartiger to die...It wasn't really a choice. Timmy was in so many ways dead already - hanging on in a borrowed body. And as much as it pained Lionheart to leave him, so to it pained him to allow Wartiger to die. A fate that had come about by his own hand. Regrettably his choice was already made. And within a short space of time, he was depositing him at the nearest hospital.

But whilst on his way, he didn't see any reason why the resources Agent X could bring to bear might not be used in some way. A swift phone call, a mention of the device left in the vaults of an abandoned base and Lionheart at least felt that the Executor shouldn't have it all his own way.

OOC: Ugh Hobsons choice, but no choice really. Saving Tim, over Wartiger...what could I do? Anyway, I guess the device Executor was after will turn up some time later being used in some nefarious scheme. But that has to be an adventure for another day. Once I've got Wartiger to safety I will return to the station, but I guess the chances of me catching a clue, let alone the Executor are far gone. I'd still like to know what happens to Tim, next though. Shame, but I guess heroes can't win/solve ever case.

Sj
Steeple_jackuk
Steeple_jackuk
Cosmic Level

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Sat Jan 02 2016, 23:37

OOC Ugh. Another post lost. There is a combination of keys in Chrome that puts you back a page and you lose everything you type. Uhhhh. Here we go again.

Lionheart made the only sensible, sane choice.

Catch the bad guy or save a life? No choice really. He had to take it slow, knowing the internal injuries to the former super hero were life threatening, and twice had to stop to resuscitate Wartiger.

OOC Rolls 9,9+10,3 and 8,8+5,5+9,1 meaning he is stabilised for quite some time giving the Doctors plenty of time to get him on the operating table. At -3 Body (with death occurring at -4) a failed roll would have meant curtains. You saved Wartigers life.

Finally, after what seemed like an age at a much reduced speed, Lionheart arrived at a Hospital and entered the lobby where he explained the nature of Wartigers crush injuries, albeit received from heavy machinery falling on him.

OOC I don't think LH wears a mask or costume does he?

A call to Agent X en route had explained the situation and he in turn had made certain phone calls that ensured the staff at the hospital would not ask too many questions of the patient or the man who'd brought him in. Indeed, a plain clothes guard was already en route to ensure Wartiger would not suffer any 'complications' of being attacked during his recovery period.

"You made the right call old chap." said Agent X. "Executor is a gun for hire and will turn up sooner rather than later. It's a shame we couldn't get hold of what was in the Justice Legions vaults, and the status of Mr Jones is a worry, but you were placed in a situation that required a split second decision and you made it. Us 'bigger picture' types generally see everyone as expendable, including ourselves, but Wartiger helped in good faith and deserves every chance to recover. Plus... he might be tempted back into the fold, so there is a bright side. Go back to the Power Station and snoop about, but our people will be there in an hour or so to go over the place with a fine tooth comb so don't worry if it's all locked down. Truth be told I expect Executor to have booby trapped the place. He's a swine like that. X out."

=========

Agent X was right.

The two superhumans that Lionheart had defeated were gone, and his danger sense warned of laser tripwires at every turn. Executor had gotten in, gotten what he wanted and gotten out. On the way out he'd booby trapped practically every corridor and doorway.

Lionheart arrived in one piece down at the vault after his danger sense told him which way not to go, and in some cases create his own path down there.

"Wondered where you'd got to." rasped a voice behind him as Lionheart stepped up to the Vault door again. "I wouldn't. The field has been reactivated." said Nowhere Man as he rose from the floor. "Only just got out in time. Executor planned for every eventuality, and his has a new bag of tricks. He can enlarge microscopic devices, robots, vehicles, even people. That's new. I could have sworn he was having a party down there with the way stuff was being shifted about. The stripped the place bare. Too many for me to take on, and I'd hoped you would make it into the place after I hacked my way through the computer network, which was an absolute pig. Wouldn't surprise me if Wandafar had built it."

He walked over to the Vault doorway and the invisible humming field that covered the open entrance. "Good job no one mass produced a weapon that can zap powers or we'd be in bother." He turned to Lionheart. "First round to the bad guy. We're down, but not out yet."

He held up a small hand held scanner which looked to have been cobbled together and had bits of wire sticking out. "Executor may have planned for 'every eventuality' but what he did not plan for is for a superhero to go in there and NOT fight him. Instead... well lets just say the multi phase tracking device I put inside Timmy Jones' head works a heck of a lot better with it being made of plastic instead of flesh and blood. He took Timmy with him. Seems he was intrigued by Mr Plastics' determination and apparent immortality, but not overly impressed by Timmys lack of fighting skills. He worked best in a team, and charging into this place without a plan wasn't his best idea. With this though..."

He held up the scanner. Then paused, and leaned in to look at it, before giving it a whack on the side. With a sigh he rasped "Wandafar really will have to check whether this stuff actually works before he hands it out. Probably just needs batteries. Ready to follow Executors trail?"

OOC Great job following the trail to the Microscopic Menace. Issue #5 - The Mission Part 3 is up next. Lionheart gets 120HP for the adventure and is now on: LIONHEART HP 190
Keep an eye out for the next issue...
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Steeple_jackuk Sun Jan 03 2016, 13:19

Phew, that is all I can say. Executor sounds like an old Thunderbolts villain called Scourge, who I think was previously a Captain America sidekick called Nomad. I recently started a subscription to Marvel Unlimited (think netflix for marvel) and am reading old Captain America's so will get to it eventually.

Thanks for another great issue. I appreciate the dilemma, the genuine sense that you generate. I often think as a DM, what if the players don't go down x, what a waste. But in truth if you railroad players they never feel like what they do matters. I never get that feeling here. And its one of the reasons I keep coming back for me. Also good to see our rosta of heroes, friends and villains is growing. I like the sense that this is a timeline that hopefully won't get a reboot.

Sorry to hear about the hassle posting, if I've got a lot to post I do it in word, and just import the formatting code as I go. Much safer that way and like you I learned the hard way.

Sj
Steeple_jackuk
Steeple_jackuk
Cosmic Level

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 5 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5