The Vanguard Play by Post Roleplaying Game
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Welcome, new players and old!

+5
smaug
dunecat
Steeple_jackuk
DavidMcMahon
Admin
9 posters

Page 6 of 6 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6

Go down

Welcome, new players and old! - Page 6 Empty Re: Welcome, new players and old!

Post  Admin Tue Mar 12 2013, 21:22

Good points all round - Jason I will look at the Thief skill and lose a few points from the other stuff to pay for it rather than whack on any more disadvantages (though I do want to know how far you want this compulsion to harm he should he stray from the path of good - physical or spiritual damage perhaps? Or mental, with a splitting headache? Or just leave as is, with him driven to do the right thing, like Batman, even to the exclusion of all else including personal happiness?)

With regards real world physics in 4 color comic book adventures (I don't think I've established the genre but given the range of characters we have it could be anything from 4 color Superman at his wackiest with the Superman family in tow facing off against talking monkeys to Marvel Max and facing off against Cultists and human sacrifice) I'm pretty relaxed about it. We so rarely see Flash, Superman and just about every other character that breaks the sound barrier do any kind of collateral damage that I think an argument could be made that you displace such a small amount of air as opposed to a 20 ton vehicle that any sonic boom you make as a character will be negligible unless say, you fly at high speed through a glass and steel city with windows on every side of you.
Admin
Admin
Admin

https://darkeningshadows.darkbb.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Wed Mar 13 2013, 00:00

Outta time for updates, sack time... In case anyone wonders, I update as they are listed in the IC section, with the earliest response to the bottom and updated first in order.
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  deeyin Wed Mar 13 2013, 09:11

Dunecat, perhaps so. The description of them does not sound like they would be that skilled though, so I would be surprised if they were at the 9-10 level. 9 APs is over 100 times better than average (Batman's weaponry skill and Dexterity are a 9, after all), so it does not sound as if they are that skilled, as well as perhaps being a bit too high for what is essentially a small army of individuals (24 we say, and more on the way).

Admin, Dunecat had a very good summary of the table for AV/OV and EV/RV. However, it might be easier for people to understand if they were posted here, as you did for the factor costs table. Is that a possibility?

On genre, I prefer action. But that is up to you to decide. I do not know who Marvel Max is though.

Out of time for updates? Darn, I was next! Laughing

deeyin
Street Level: Vigilante
Street Level: Vigilante

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Wed Mar 13 2013, 10:25

Welcome, new players and old! - Page 6 Action_table

Action table

Find your ACTING value (Like Dex for physical actions, or a power or skill) on the left hand side. Find the OPPOSING value, like difficulty of a task or an opponents Dex or power/skill along the top.

The cross reference number is the target number to equal or exceed on a roll of 2D10, and doubles 'explode' - aside from double 1, which ALWAYS fails!

Where a roll is higher than 10 and (usually) two points more than the target number, you get a better result. As you can see the numbers scale up 11, 13, 15, 18, 21, 24, 28 and so on. If the target number is 9 and you roll 11, you score a 'column shift' which reduces your opponents defenses/increases your own chance of success. So if you had a target number of 11 and rolled 17, you'd exceed the 13 column (one column shift) and the 15 column (2 column shifts) and this applies to...
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Wed Mar 13 2013, 10:35

Welcome, new players and old! - Page 6 Result_table

Result Table

Find your EFFECT value along the side (like your Strength score, a power, skill or weapon) and the RESISTANCE of the target (perhaps the difficulty of the task, the BODY of the target or a power/skill). Cross reference the two. The number is the RESULT APs or RAPs. The more you get here, the better your action attempt was, and the more successful as a consequence.

But what if it cross references to an 'N' result? That means you've failed, put simply.

To overcome this, remember those column shifts you scored from a high roll? They count columns to the left of the Resistance value along the top, increasing the Result APs hopefully and giving even an ordinary person a slim (very slim in some cases!) chance of hurting even the most powerful superhuman if they rolled really high! For comparison in the 25 years or so I've been playing DC heroes (or whenever 1st edition came out) I think the highest roll I ever managed was in the fifties after three triples. They don't come around that often but it is possible that you can pull off the impossible with this game Smile

Example:

Frostbite hits a raging behemoth, the Not-So-Jolly Green Giant. NSJGG (Not-So-Jolly Green Giant) has 15 Resistance value. Find that along the top. Frostbite has 8 Strength (find that along the side). Not only does Frostbite get an N result but he's going to need a great roll to break through that thick skin! Dave E rolls high (for a change!) and gets 3 column shifts (he needed 9 to hit and rolled 16, scoring a column shift on 11, 13 and 15). Count 3 columns to the left of NSJGG's 15 Resistance and compare to the 8 column. He scores 2RAPs, or two points of damage! No time to celebrate - NSJGG is bringing down one of those tree trunk arms on Frosty!

Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Welcome, new players and old! - Page 6 Empty hiya!

Post  Aria Wed Jun 25 2014, 20:36

I'll admit, I haven't played a game in a while. But Ryan raved about how much he loved this game, so I had to join. *waves* I'm Kotarah, writer of stories, and creator of songs. My spare time is taken up by hiding away in my closet to work.

So, umm... hi!

Aria
Street Level: Thug
Street Level: Thug

Back to top Go down

Post  DavidMcMahon Wed Jun 25 2014, 22:33

Howdy! Nice to see you here.
DavidMcMahon
DavidMcMahon
Cosmic Level

Back to top Go down

Post  Steeple_jackuk Thu Jun 26 2014, 07:49

welcome as long as you are patient you'll get a lot out of the group, good to have you around.

Sj
Steeple_jackuk
Steeple_jackuk
Cosmic Level

Back to top Go down

Welcome, new players and old! - Page 6 Empty Hello

Post  pabrandon Mon Mar 09 2020, 21:57

My name is Patrick and I first played DC Heroes RPG shortly before the second edition was released. I have been playing role playing games over 30 years and am currently involved in the Dungeons and Dragons Adventurer's League. I live near St. Louis, Missouri with my wife and daughter. Thank you for including me.

pabrandon
Class 1 Hero (Max Normal Human)
Class 1 Hero (Max Normal Human)

Back to top Go down

Post  DavidMcMahon Tue Mar 10 2020, 01:10

Howdy, I'm in Raleigh, NC. Our GM and other main player are from somewhere in England. Good to have another old timer joining us. I started playing D&D in its earliest days when Dwarf and Elf were actual character classes.
David Mc
DavidMcMahon
DavidMcMahon
Cosmic Level

Back to top Go down

Post  Steeple_jackuk Tue Mar 10 2020, 08:33

pabrandon wrote:My name is Patrick and I first played DC Heroes RPG shortly before the second edition was released. I have been playing role playing games over 30 years and am currently involved in the Dungeons and Dragons Adventurer's League. I live near St. Louis, Missouri with my wife and daughter. Thank you for including me.

Good morning, welcome and hope you feel comfortable amongst our little game world here. Our GM is brilliant, which has kept me playing this PBEM for 10+ years, our characters have gone one end of the universe and back again and then some. Look forward to playing along with you.

Sj
Steeple_jackuk
Steeple_jackuk
Cosmic Level

Back to top Go down

Post  DavidMcMahon Wed Mar 11 2020, 16:19

Way this tends to work is the GM will help you create a character and then send you off on a solo mission. Since some players only stick around a few weeks or months and then vanish this prevents other players in a middle of an adventure waiting for someone to post who has left and hasn't told us that. He has tweaked the rules a bit but is pretty open to things.

I would suggest you make a basic 450 point starting character, plus Drawback points. Put that in the Chat About The Game section. He may or may not give you extra points to start as a higher level character, he will tell you but having that basic character is a good start.

Any other questions, just drop them in the Chat About the Game or Chat About Anything else sections.

Hope to see a great character from you soon! cheers
DavidMcMahon
DavidMcMahon
Cosmic Level

Back to top Go down

Post  DavidMcMahon Thu Sep 03 2020, 20:35

Just in the wild hope that the mass emailing I sent out to my old online gaming groups works, I'm just bumping this up near the top of our OOC forums.
I love you tongue Razz
DavidMcMahon
DavidMcMahon
Cosmic Level

Steeple_jackuk likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 6 of 6 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6