The Vanguard Play by Post Roleplaying Game
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Jade Hood and Stone Fist issue #3 (System tryout)

3 posters

Page 2 of 9 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Go down

Jade Hood and Stone Fist issue #3 (System tryout)  - Page 2 Empty Re: Jade Hood and Stone Fist issue #3 (System tryout)

Post  DavidMcMahon Sun Apr 22 2012, 14:03

Stone Fist grins at Mary and then looks to see which plan Jade Hood wants to go with or if he has another plan of his own.
DavidMcMahon
DavidMcMahon
Cosmic Level

Back to top Go down

Jade Hood and Stone Fist issue #3 (System tryout)  - Page 2 Empty Re: Jade Hood and Stone Fist issue #3 (System tryout)

Post  Steeple_jackuk Sun Apr 22 2012, 15:34

DavidMcMahon wrote:Stone Fist grins at Mary and then looks to see which plan Jade Hood wants to go with or if he has another plan of his own.

OOC: Oh blast it, I spent a while thinking of my suggestion, posted it two days ago and now I come back don't see it here? What gives?

Jade Hood smiled at his friends straight forward approach, which was refreshing in a world in which was seldom straight forward. "I think that the direct approach might not be best, our quarry may well take fright and flee and unlike you, my friend, I am not bullet proof! I suggest we leave these two and go find a way in from around the back. I guess that might mean taking a swim. Which I don't mind providing their are no crocodiles!"

OOC: Ok my take is we find another way in from behind preferably.

Sj

Steeple_jackuk
Steeple_jackuk
Cosmic Level

Back to top Go down

Post  DavidMcMahon Mon Apr 23 2012, 12:01

"But they have already seen us," Stone Fist points out, gesturing to the man with the rifle, "And if we go in with Mary, she will be in greater danger than if she stays here. Since the Brits have such a strong presence here, I'm guess this guy speaks English, best way to ensure he is the thug middle man for everyone that way. So I do not think she will be needed to translate what we have to ask him."
DavidMcMahon
DavidMcMahon
Cosmic Level

Back to top Go down

Post  Steeple_jackuk Mon Apr 23 2012, 12:37

DavidMcMahon wrote:"But they have already seen us," Stone Fist points out, gesturing to the man with the rifle, "And if we go in with Mary, she will be in greater danger than if she stays here. Since the Brits have such a strong presence here, I'm guess this guy speaks English, best way to ensure he is the thug middle man for everyone that way. So I do not think she will be needed to translate what we have to ask him."

OOC: Sorry I didn't read that from what Paul wrote. Paul has the sniper on the roof spotted us yet? Also my bad I had intended to suggest Mary stay behind in the car until it was safe to question folk inside.

I don't like going in bold but having said that last time we tried the indirect approach (that select men's club house mansion) we made a real hash of it.

So not sure really what's best! I don't like leaving Mary behind and without the car as she could be snatched (Western American Girl on her own) if we left here here.

So if the sniper hasn't seen us then let me work around to get him and yes then you can charge the front door, perhaps leave Mary in the car??? What do you think? I'm beginning to regret bringing her along.

Sj
Steeple_jackuk
Steeple_jackuk
Cosmic Level

Back to top Go down

Post  DavidMcMahon Mon Apr 23 2012, 12:49

yeah, it all depends on whether that sniper saw us or not or just glanced at us and didn't think we were interested in the building.

Mary is your classic damsel in distress. Has her uses but gets caught a lot. Very Happy
DavidMcMahon
DavidMcMahon
Cosmic Level

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Tue Apr 24 2012, 04:46

OOC The Sniper hasn't seen you yet - you're still in the car. Mary has her uses (expert in Egyptian culture and history, she knows this Professor that's possibly tied into this plot to assemble the various powders into the so called 'magic formula' that will drown the world to the sound of Super Nazis marching over justice, liberty and all that, and she can watch the two goons you captured with a gun taken from them. Problem with that is it's a risky strategy and one or both may overpower her if she's too frightened to use the gun. I'm sure you guys have a way round that problem *whack* With regards the warehouse, as far as you know nothing is amiss yet so you could pass as businessmen, tourists, customers even, if you tried the front door. Goinbg round the back way, or even finding some way to drop that sniper is definitely more Jade Hoods forte. Your call.
Admin
Admin
Admin

https://darkeningshadows.darkbb.com

Back to top Go down

Post  DavidMcMahon Tue Apr 24 2012, 22:44

Ah, thought they had spotted us as coming after them. And I agree, Mary does have her uses, just not in combat. Sad

So we can go in as businessmen or "businessmen" and she can be our moll or Stone Fist's moll anyways. We can then try to speak to the guy we want, whose name is escaping me right now, and then force answers from him when we meet him.
DavidMcMahon
DavidMcMahon
Cosmic Level

Back to top Go down

Post  Steeple_jackuk Wed Apr 25 2012, 08:57

DavidMcMahon wrote:Ah, thought they had spotted us as coming after them. And I agree, Mary does have her uses, just not in combat. Sad

So we can go in as businessmen or "businessmen" and she can be our moll or Stone Fist's moll anyways. We can then try to speak to the guy we want, whose name is escaping me right now, and then force answers from him when we meet him.

OOC:
ok so hows about you two going in casual like to talk to this Marktoum fella and I'll sneak up on the roof take out the sniper and get in from above. That way if things go south, I can jump the villains and surprise them. You are just going to have to make sure that you keep an eye on Mary, she may well be this schemes greatest liability. But wait till I start rolling dice as I might be also ;-)

Sj
Steeple_jackuk
Steeple_jackuk
Cosmic Level

Back to top Go down

Post  DavidMcMahon Wed Apr 25 2012, 11:58

Sounds like a plan to me.
DavidMcMahon
DavidMcMahon
Cosmic Level

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Wed Apr 25 2012, 23:48

JADE HOOD
5/5 Effort
12/12 Health

STONE FIST
3/5 Effort
17/17 Health

OOC Jade Hood is trying to sneak - in broad daylight - towards the side of the warehouse, then climb onto the roof, making his way without being seen to the sniper, and take him out then? How much effort (if any?) will you use for JH? His Agility + Thief will be pitched against the Snipers Perception + A modifier for broad daylight for the first part. Then it will be Acrobatics + Agility to climb the wall onto the roof. Finally it will be Agility + Thief to sneak up on the sniper and get a hit in before the guy can shoot or raise the alarm.

Will Stone Fist and Mary wait until JH has tried all that before making a move, or get out of the car now and head towards the warehouse? What about the two goons in the car? Stone Fist recovers effort points at the same time as Jade Hood would, so when he is trying to climb the wall, SF gets an effort point back. Doing it that way so I don't have to keep track of effort point recovery individually, which would be messy. Instead I'll just go off your 'side'. Every 3rd attempted action (or 3rd round in combat) you get an effort point back. At higher power levels effort points play a bigger part, but you wouldn't be taking on street level crooks in that case...
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Steeple_jackuk Thu Apr 26 2012, 13:40

Admin wrote:JADE HOOD
5/5 Effort
12/12 Health

[i]OOC Jade Hood is trying to sneak - in broad daylight - towards the side of the warehouse, then climb onto the roof, making his way without being seen to the sniper, and take him out then? How much effort (if any?) will you use for JH? His Agility + Thief will be pitched against the Snipers Perception + A modifier for broad daylight for the first part. Then it will be Acrobatics + Agility to climb the wall onto the roof. Finally it will be Agility + Thief to sneak up on the sniper and get a hit in before the guy can shoot or raise the alarm.

OOC:
Ok when you put it like that it does sounds a little hard to achieve, but I was kinda hoping that with Mary and Stone Fist heading up front, the opportunity to climb across from another building or come in from the river, would have afforded me a better chance.

Ok I think we get the guys out and take the cab and we take it to the front of the building and knock and find out what is what from there? I am not sure how else we are going to get into this place otherwise.

Sj
Steeple_jackuk
Steeple_jackuk
Cosmic Level

Back to top Go down

Post  DavidMcMahon Thu Apr 26 2012, 22:20

You drive, Short Round!
Stone Fist will tap them alseep and leave them in an alley a few blocks away. We drive away to do that then drive back.
DavidMcMahon
DavidMcMahon
Cosmic Level

Back to top Go down

Post  Steeple_jackuk Fri Apr 27 2012, 07:30

DavidMcMahon wrote:You drive, Short Round!
Stone Fist will tap them alseep and leave them in an alley a few blocks away. We drive away to do that then drive back.

Jade Hood nodded at Stone Fists suggestion and then sought to carry it out quickly.

Sj
Steeple_jackuk
Steeple_jackuk
Cosmic Level

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Fri Apr 27 2012, 13:40

OOC Actually, I think it'd be fairly achievable. A normal guy has 2 Perception. Someone with above average Perception has 3. With a little effort you'd have pulled it off with average rolls, but you and I both know about those...

Mary drove the car up to the front doors. They were padlocked, and Jade Hood didn't have to look up to see the sniper had moved to the edge of the roof some 25-30 feet up. His rifle was out of sight but it was there.

The large wooden doors were reinforced at the hinges with metal plate and closed. A small (closed) hatch around eye level would serve as means to see who came calling for those inside. Doubtless now they would know they had company, and Jade Hood was left wondering whether they might have been able to get in via another way without letting them know. He sighed, and turned to the others. Mary spoke up first. "What now? Knock you say? We're not exactly dressed for whatever scheme you have in mind."

She had a point. The group had been on a long plane journey which had involved getting into scrapes and brawls, being shot at, then landing and being attacked... She blew hair out of her face and smoothed it down, only to jut out at an angle again. She took a deep breath, then offered to take the lead. "I can speak the language. What do you want me to say?"

The car clattered away as it idled in front of the double doors, and there came a shout from above.

Mary turned to the others "He wants to know who we are and what we want." she translated.
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Steeple_jackuk Fri Apr 27 2012, 13:50

Admin wrote:OOC Actually, I think it'd be fairly achievable. A normal guy has 2 Perception. Someone with above average Perception has 3. With a little effort you'd have pulled it off with average rolls, but you and I both know about those...

OOC:Oh blow I sure wish I'd known that, I thought from the way you put it you were laying it on thick that this wasn't a good idea!

Admin wrote:Mary turned to the others "He wants to know who we are and what we want." she translated.

Jade had an idea. "Why don't you tell him we're lost, but someone told us to ask Marktoum. He'd see us alright." Jade shrugged his shoulders, worth a try he thought to himself.

OOC: I suggest Mary shout this out through the open window as opposed to climbing out and making herself a target.

Sj

Steeple_jackuk
Steeple_jackuk
Cosmic Level

Back to top Go down

Post  DavidMcMahon Fri Apr 27 2012, 15:12

"Hang on," Stone Fist says. "Let's see if they speak English."

The big man gets out of the car, assuming his rough appearance will actually help him a bit, and approaches the gate.

"Hey! You speak English? We want to talk to Marktoum [Marktown? Which is his right name?] We got Do-Re-Mi!"

He rubs his fingers together to show he is talking about money.
DavidMcMahon
DavidMcMahon
Cosmic Level

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Fri Apr 27 2012, 23:50

The sniper looks down from the roof, then shouts "You go! No thing for you here!"

OOC This is an Aura check for Stone Fist vs the guys Intelligence (2) and modifier (Challenging, +2) to persuade the fellow that you're worth listening to. Normally adding effort points after the roll costs double but to keep things moving if you want to add effort after the roll for this check it'll cost 1/1. I'm also considering ditching regenerating effort points to replace with a pool of points that you earn (good deeds) and spend. It'll be separate from an experience point system, but doing it that way means far less book keeping with regards when you recover effort points and the like.

Anyway, that roll. Stone Fist Aura 4 + Roll 8,2 (10)=14. goon Int 2 + Modifier 2 + Roll 10,2 (12) = 16. He'll be telling you to clear off. You have 3/5 Effort points Stone Fist. Care to use any or see how it pans out with the failure?
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  DavidMcMahon Sat Apr 28 2012, 01:27

Hmmm ... I'm curious to see what happens with the failure. To spend effort points on a goon seems a bit wasteful to me. If anything, it will create a distraction for Jade Hood to use to get in.
DavidMcMahon
DavidMcMahon
Cosmic Level

Back to top Go down

Post  Steeple_jackuk Sat Apr 28 2012, 12:41

DavidMcMahon wrote:Hmmm ... I'm curious to see what happens with the failure. To spend effort points on a goon seems a bit wasteful to me. If anything, it will create a distraction for Jade Hood to use to get in.

OOC: In which case then lets see if whilst Stone Fist creates some sort of distraction I can either throw a throwing star at him or else shimmy up and take him down. Whatever seems most cost effective and least wasteful of effort points, as like Dave said, using to many of them on a goon when the main fight is still to be had, seems pointless.

Sj
Steeple_jackuk
Steeple_jackuk
Cosmic Level

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Sat Apr 28 2012, 23:21

Steeple_jackuk wrote:
DavidMcMahon wrote:Hmmm ... I'm curious to see what happens with the failure. To spend effort points on a goon seems a bit wasteful to me. If anything, it will create a distraction for Jade Hood to use to get in.

OOC: In which case then lets see if whilst Stone Fist creates some sort of distraction I can either throw a throwing star at him or else shimmy up and take him down. Whatever seems most cost effective and least wasteful of effort points, as like Dave said, using to many of them on a goon when the main fight is still to be had, seems pointless.

Sj

OOC the throwing star will sort things out, one way or another... Martial Arts adds to an attack with Melee or Martial Arts type weapons, which makes Jade Hood a real powerhouse when it comes to actually hitting things, whilst Stone Fist doles out the most damage. Ok, we have Combat Score 11 + Martial Arts 7 + Roll 1d10=7, 1d10=3. Total 28. Defence for this guy is CS6 + Distance 2 - Surprise 4 + Roll 1d10=4, 1d10=9. Total 17. 4 Accuracy + Strength 3 + Star 3 + Roll 1d10=4, 1d10=10 = 24. Goon doesn't get his body (it's a killing weapon and no mention of going for wounding shot...) so just gets roll 1d10=7, 1d10=1 Total 8. Chud.16 damage, puts him on -8, dead.

Jade Hood steps calmly from the car, palms a throwing star and fires it through the air with a deadly intent! Up to a certain range it was deadly, and there were few more deadly in all the world than the man throwing it!

With a flash of silver in the blazing sun, the star hammered into the forehead of the sniper and he fell back, eyes rolling in his head.

Mary was about to speak, then turned slowly to Jade Hood. "I guess... that means we're not here to negotiate or to make friends then..." She gave a nervous laugh and walked up to the solid looking double wooden doors, picking at the peeling paint on them and turned, whispering. "So, in through the front door or do you expect me to climb up there?"
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  DavidMcMahon Sun Apr 29 2012, 02:08

Stone Fist doesn't bother to say anything, he picks Mary up in his arms and jumps up to the top of the wall.

ooc: That is within his normal jumping range, right?

Then looks back to see if Jade Hood needs help up.
DavidMcMahon
DavidMcMahon
Cosmic Level

Back to top Go down

Post  Steeple_jackuk Sun Apr 29 2012, 08:22

Admin wrote:With a flash of silver in the blazing sun, the star hammered into the forehead of the sniper and he fell back, eyes rolling in his head.

Mary was about to speak, then turned slowly to Jade Hood. "I guess... that means we're not here to negotiate or to make friends then..." She gave a nervous laugh and walked up to the solid looking double wooden doors, picking at the peeling paint on them and turned, whispering. "So, in through the front door or do you expect me to climb up there?"

OOC: Whoops! Better pull my punch or throwing arm next time.

Jade Hood looked shock at the deadliness of his throw, before Mary's comment jibbed him into action. "Let me see if I can find another way in, we want to keep the element of surprise, as long as we can and besides we might be able to eavesdrop on what is being said."

With that Jade Hood looked about for a way to climb ontop of the roof.

OOC:
Ok will use whatever means lie outside the building to scale up, I'm looking for a way that Mary could use, if need be. But if there isn't one, I want to still get an idea of what might be going on inside, who is there approximate numbers so we know what we're up against etc.

Sj

Steeple_jackuk
Steeple_jackuk
Cosmic Level

Back to top Go down

Post  DavidMcMahon Mon Apr 30 2012, 04:07

ooc: You missed the entry above where Stone Fist grabbed Mary and leaped to the top of the wall.
DavidMcMahon
DavidMcMahon
Cosmic Level

Back to top Go down

Post  Steeple_jackuk Mon Apr 30 2012, 07:20

DavidMcMahon wrote:ooc: You missed the entry above where Stone Fist grabbed Mary and leaped to the top of the wall.

OOC: Whoops sure did, ok sorry mate, take that into account as I'll try to follow. Thanks Dave

Sj
Steeple_jackuk
Steeple_jackuk
Cosmic Level

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Mon Apr 30 2012, 09:59

Stone Fist easily hops both himself and Mary up onto the roof, whilst Jade Hood climbs up.

OOC JH Agility 4 + Acrobatics/Climbing 3 + Roll 10,6 (16)=23. Easily exceeds the 10 + Difficult 4 Modifier.

Straightening her hair and blushing, Mary leans over to steady herself. "You sure know how to show a gal a wild time boys!" She looked away from the dead sniper, but was in no doubt that the man would have fired at them or raised the alarm. There was enough food in a satchel and ammunition to suggest he was well 'dug in'. Jade Hood appeared over the roofs edge and climbed up. Pulling the star from the goon and wiping it clean, he pocketed it. It would make things more difficult to aim for a wounding shot, and in the game he and Stone Fist played, leaving an armed and dangerous enemy wounded behind you was asking for trouble! Still, he did not revel in killing.

The flat roof of the warehouse had a box section on top with a door heading inside. There were a couple of ways in that the group could see - smash the door in, or attempt to pick the lock. The dead goon had nothing like a key on him, so there might be some kind of special knock to use as a password.
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 9 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next