The Vanguard Play by Post Roleplaying Game
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Jade Hood and Stone Fist Issue #1 (System Tryout)

3 posters

Page 1 of 6 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Go down

Jade Hood and Stone Fist Issue #1 (System Tryout) Empty Jade Hood and Stone Fist Issue #1 (System Tryout)

Post  Admin Wed Dec 14 2011, 09:10

Jade Hood and Stone Fist Issue #1 (System Tryout) Microsoft_Word_Document1

Chinatown, New York City, 2 months ago...

An old man sobs, his shop in ruins and his son beaten, bloodied and groaning in the corner...

"And let this be a lesson to ya, old man!" spat the grizzled thug as he straightened his tie in the reflection of what remained of the mirror. He pulled his knuckle dusters off, leaning down to wipe them on the old mans clothes, and leaned over to pop and empty the till. "You better have the money next time, or this'll seem like a friendly visit from a politician lookin' ta get ya vote." He made a cutting motion across his throat, where a long scar ran already and changed his voice from a scraping growl to a sound like that of a grate being scraped over the floor! "C'mon boys. We got more stops before we can hit the clubs!"

His goons, half a dozen of them, all suited but looking far from respectable, laughed and left.

Across the street, a young woman wiped a tear as she watched the men leave, and saw the local inhabitants of the street move in to help with the clean up process of the old mans shop. She made a decision, and hurried along to the Ppst Office to send a telegram...

The Docks, a week ago...

"Gee Henry, you don't look so good!" said a dock worker, looking at the man in the vest retching his guts up. "I'll be fine!" said Henry Block the muscled dock worker who felt anything but strong at the minute... He glanced across to the split crate on the floor, remnants of green gas wisping away in the night wind. It had been marked up in a foreign language - probably German - and been marked up with some strange symbol, kind of like a bunch of letter 'L' in a wheel. Whatever was in it, some flask padded by straw, was broken now, and its contents emptied into the night - but not before Henry Block had gotten a lungful!

He retched again, then looked up "Maybe I should go home, get a few hours shut eye..." he nodded, rising painfully and clutching his gut. All about the dock was a hive of activity with crates being loaded and unloaded. Henry knew he'd better not have too much time off - plenty of guys were ready and willing to take his place to earn enough to put food on the table...

NOW...

Henry hefted the crate. He'd been warned about the weight and to wait for help, but the others had been joking, surely! It was weightless! He shrugged and set it down, moving to lift another.

"Hey! Who put this here? God damn it, we need some men over here!" yelled the foreman, having tried - unsuccessfully 0 to budge the crate Henry had set down.

Just then a car pulled up, and suited goons got out. Cut-Throat - for that was the nickname given to the guy with the scar across his throat, looked to see a truck turn up. They turned expectantly towards the boats being unloaded, and one in particular, where a group of what looked to be Chinese immigrants were herded down a gangplank. Cut-Throat gestured to his men who headed over, money exchanged hands, and they started to shepherd them towards the truck. One old woman protested, and was backhanded to the floor! Dock workers looked up, then turned away as the suited goons donned knuckle dusters and showed the hint of a pistol barrel.

One of the Chinese helped the old woman up, and looked about.

He was Chen Lu Han, a young monk of the order of the Jade Hood, from the hills of Tibet. The telegram from his sister had taken a long time to get to him, and the ship had seemingly taken longer to arrive at New York. The city was massive, sprawling, grey, depressing, but not as much as the feeling of despair he felt from the others who'd just stepped off the boat!

Henry Block growled, but remembered these men had guns, numbers, and the police bought and paid for. What could one man do against what amounted to an organised slavery racket?

OOC Dave/Dave just need to pick a character each and we'll get into this. I have new character sheets to post (with a better layout) and it's just a trial run of the modified DC Heroes system that we used for the last Lore Knights game. Anyone else who wants in, holler, and we'll get a character cooked up. It's strictly street level at the minute, and we'll see how it goes...
Admin
Admin
Admin

https://darkeningshadows.darkbb.com

Back to top Go down

Jade Hood and Stone Fist Issue #1 (System Tryout) Empty Re: Jade Hood and Stone Fist Issue #1 (System Tryout)

Post  Steeple_jackuk Wed Dec 14 2011, 17:28

OOC: Hope you don't mind Dave but Jade sounds right up my street. So without further ado.

Chen looked on, as his body stiffened, shocked by what he saw as blatant corruption. Where were the police, these men acted as if they owned the place. Chen, cautioned himself, rushing in wasn't going to help protect his sister. Besides he'd come a long way, not to end up in the bottom of the Hudson. For now he'd have to hang back, possible look for an opportunity to help out. For now, he would seek to duck out, hide his meagre gear and take up his pre planned persona, ready to strike if need be.

OOC:

Ok So Chen will duck and cover, hide his stuff and trying to find a good vantage point to listen in on the hoods, without giving away his presence. There are many more than him and with guns - so stealth is the name of the game for now.

Sj
Steeple_jackuk
Steeple_jackuk
Cosmic Level

Back to top Go down

Jade Hood and Stone Fist Issue #1 (System Tryout) Empty Re: Jade Hood and Stone Fist Issue #1 (System Tryout)

Post  Admin Wed Dec 14 2011, 18:57

OOC Chens' stealth attempt is his Thief skill (Agility+thief) vs the goons' Perception score. Because there are half a dozen of them, they are harder to avoid. that said, they ain't that bright Smile [6,6,4,4] = (20) DOUBLE for Chen Lu [9,2,2,4] = (17) for the collected goons. Don't need to roll the double result.

Melting into the shadows Chen relied on misdirection and being anonymous to simply vanish from view! Now, perched on top of a stack of crates, lying low and looking down on the proceedings, he saw the man known as Cut-Throat watch as his men herded the hapless immigrants into the back of a truck. Chen saw a policeman, distant, on a street corner. He looked over, then with a nod from Cut-Throat, turned away, and whistled as he walked, spinning his truncheon.

Chen sought inner calm. His sisters message had stated things were bad here - clearly she'd not been exaggerating! What could one man do against a small army of armed goons? He looked at the dock workers. All seemed to be cowed, as if they might have said something before, but all fight, all sense of right and wrong, had been driven out of them!

More determined than ever to help, Chen remembered his mask. It had been part of the ceremonial robes at the temple. Now it would serve to cover his identity and protect his loved ones from reprisals!

He recalled the words of a teacher though... 'A man can waste his life chasing a tiger. Instead, find the tigers lair and let it come to you! When a creature is in its lair, it feels safest, most protected. This is an illusion - it is the perfect place from which to launch a lightning strike!'
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Steeple_jackuk Wed Dec 14 2011, 19:06

Admin wrote:He recalled the words of a teacher though...'A man can waste his life chasing a tiger. Instead, find the tigers lair and let it come to you! When a creature is in its lair, it feels safest, most protected. This is an illusion - it is the perfect place from which to launch a lightning strike!'

Taking strength from the wise words of his Master, Chen looked for the right moment to see if he could climb aboard the truck whilst the others were distracted. If he could find a way to tag along, unnoticed, then the chances were he could find a whole lot more out about what was going on in this strange, new land.

OOC:

So when the moment seems ripe, I'll look for the best place to hide and remain out of site. I appreciate that might not be easy but I'm willing to spend a hero point or two to make it happen.

Sj
Steeple_jackuk
Steeple_jackuk
Cosmic Level

Back to top Go down

Post  DavidMcMahon Thu Dec 15 2011, 00:07

Henry growled to himself. Seeing such brutality was too much for him. Looking around, he decided he could slip away for a few moments. Grabbing a nearby burlap bag, he ducked behind some crates and quickly form a hood from the bag to disguise his features, poking holes for his eyes, nose and mouth. He hoped no one took him for a member of the KKK [Ku Klux Klan], a southern black hate group whose purpose was to keep America white and all other races in their place.

Once his disguise was ready, he moved as close as he figured he could get and then charged the men.
DavidMcMahon
DavidMcMahon
Cosmic Level

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Thu Dec 15 2011, 23:50

Jade Hood waited. It seemed there were too many thugs, and they were keeping an eye out as they herded the immigrants into the back of the truck.

Until that is, a distraction in the form of a man in jeans, boots and vest - complete with what appeared to be a sackcloth hood with eyes poked in it - burst from behind crates and dashed at the nearest goon!

Jade Hoods' heart leapt into his mouth! This man was clearly going to get himself killed!

The newcomer had other ideas though...

=========

OOC Stone Fist looks rather outlandish with the mask/hood and is bursting from behind crates, so gets a free energy die for his attack. Jade Hood uses the confusion to sneak over to the truck, duck underneath, and untie his belt to retie around the axle... First of all, Stone Fist. The Goons are ready, with batons, knuckle dusters and coshes, plus pistols if need be. This one has a cosh. He's unable to attack this round, so is defending. Because he's surprised his defence is only 6. Goon gets [7,9,6] = (22) (Excellent roll!) [10,2,9,3] = (24) for Stone Fist (his combat score + Brawling skill) [1] = (1) for the extra die is no better than his rolls of 10 and 2, so he discards the 1. Stone Fist hits for Strength + Hard Skin + Accuracy (1 point), total 7. Goons resistance is 2. [9,1,2] = (12) Goon [5,2,7] = (14) Stone Fist. 2 points of damage. Goon is dropped from 8 health to 6.

=========

Stone Fist, perhaps from nerves, or inexperience, or the fact he's facing off against armed goons, mistimes his punch, but still catches the goon across the face with a right cross! The man reels back, and pandemonium breaks out! The immigrants run every which way, screaming, and Cut-Throats men push them aside as they try to get a clean shot at the newcomer!

The receding cop turns, hearing the outcry, and curses. He raises a whistle to his lips and blows!

Cut-Throat turns, narrows his eyes and shouts "Away lads!" before climbing atop a crate. "But first, 50 bucks to the guy who can bag that clown before the cops turn up!"

=========

OOC a new round. Two of the goons take a shot at Stone Fist, who is in melee against the guy he punched. The shots go off first. Stone Fists combat score against the goons as they try to shoot him! [8,3,6] = (17) Goon Miss [7,5,6] = (18) Goon equals Stonefists score. This misses, barely. [7,2,9] = (18) Stonefists defence

=========

Stonefist ducks, almost feeling a bullet zip past his head! This was getting serious! The immigrants screamed and ran every which way, but Stone Fist was determined to make an example of them!

=========

OOC He takes a swing at the bad guy, who swings back with his cosh. [1,9,6] = (16) Goon [7,7,9,3] = (26) Stone fists' attack. DOUBLE. Plus 2d10 → [3,8] = (11). Total 37, 21 points higher than the goon! This adds 7 damage. [3,8,2] = (13) Goons resistance [10,6,7,7] = (30) Stone Fists attack. 17 points of damage! Because Stone Fist isn't actively trying to kill the guy, this just knocks him out - for a long, long time!

=========

Stone Fist ducks under the clumsily swung cosh of the goon, then delivers a terrific uppercut worthy of Jack Dempsey or Gene Tunney!

The goon flew up into the air, then crashed into a pile of crates!

Cut-Throat cursed, tossed his cigarette down and levelled his tommy gun! "If ya want somethin' doin' right..." he muttered.

He grinned, then roared to compete with the gun as it let loose with a RATATATATATATATA!

=========

OOC Cut-Throat is shooting at Stone Fist. [4,7,8,2] = (21) Cut-Throat [7,9,9] = (25) Stone Fist. (In case you wondered, the first two numbers are always the 1d10 roll, the remaining numbers are combat score plus any skills that apply, in this case Cut-Throats combat score is 8, and his weaponry skill is 2. Stone Fists combat score is 9.)

=========

Cut-Throat sneers as Stone-Fist moves aside, watching as bullets smash into crates and the floor. He turns as he hears the wail of sirens, and one of the cars screeches up beside him. He turns to shout at Stone Fist "I don't know who ya are, freak, but you'll curse the day ya crossed me! Hit it fellas!"

=========

OOC Cut-Throat is too far away for Stone Fist to reach before he roars off, but Stone Fist might be able to jump onto the trucks roof... Sirens are getting closer as the police close in. Current police policy is to treat anyone in a mask as a target!

=========

Safely tucked away under the truck, Jade Hood had watched, and been impressed by the newcomer. He was agile, aware of his surroundings and had a good brain on him, despite his seemingly foolhardy attack! Plus he'd sent a hefty 200lb goon flying some twenty feet in the air with a single punch! Added to that, he'd been unphased at being shot at! Maybe not such a madman after all! He looked up at the underside of the truck as the axle started turning, and reflected that he wasn't one to judge others sanity!

=========

OOC Stone Fist has a few options - try to leap onto the truck (which will be hard), wait for the police to arrive, do something with the unconscious thug or melt into the scenery. Jade Hood is off for a ride Smile

=========

Current Energy/Health Levels

Jade Hood 5/12

Stone Fist 5/17

=========

OOC if the fight seems close, it should do. You guys are the 'lowest rung' of superheroes, being of the 'masked mystery men' type that proliferated in the pulp comics of the 30s and early 40s before Messrs. Siegel and Shuster came up with Superman! One thing I forgot to add was a range modifier for the guns, but all missed anyway this round.

Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  DavidMcMahon Fri Dec 16 2011, 00:52

ooc: A bit confused by the numbers. Could you separate them? Good guys one line and the bad guys another line? I wasn't sure which numbers belonged to which character when they are mashed together like they are. Glad you mentioned what the numbers were for because I didn't know. Very Happy

And this early in the hero biz, taking on 2-3 guys is about right for most masked heroes with only combat abilities.

Not wanting to let them get away but not sure he could make the leap onto the truck, Stone Fist tries anyway.

actions: Leap for the truck. If he fails, pick himself up and go grab the goon and fade away into the darkness where he can question the goon. He if makes it, hold on and hope no one saw him so he can be taken to their hideout.
DavidMcMahon
DavidMcMahon
Cosmic Level

Back to top Go down

Post  Steeple_jackuk Fri Dec 16 2011, 08:43

DavidMcMahon wrote:ooc: A bit confused by the numbers. Could you separate them? Good guys one line and the bad guys another line? I wasn't sure which numbers belonged to which character when they are mashed together like they are. Glad you mentioned what the numbers were for because I didn't know. Very Happy

OOC: Agreed as it stands because the lines run into each other its confusing.

So example might be:

Stonefirst: [total number] v
Goon: [total number]=

Result:

Would be good, but also the numbers mean nothing, in the sense that I'm always looking to the bottom line, did he hit me, how much, did I hit him how much etc.

I know why you are doing it, but honestly Paul we aren't worried about whether you're being truthful or not! IF the dice fall badly - well sometimes that's as entertaining as it creates a dynamic were threats become real.

But clearing up the numbers (if we're not sure I'll as for a break down, but if you said his total attack or combat score = vs yours, which is = then we get to the point much quicker.

On a separate note, Ross, who plays sentinel probably has no idea what a lot of these numbers mean, (not because numbers challenge him or anything) but simply because he has learned the game through what we do - but hasn't access to the rules. So the numbers mean little - the action means everything. Its one of the reasons he doesn't take the optimised route. I'm going to try and help him a bit more, the problem is when he writes something, its only then I know what he is planning! So I'm going to try and be a bit more proactive and give him some choices, so that he gets a better idea of what he can and can't do. But none of these things are meant as a criticism of you Paul, rather just a reflection on how we've done things - but also how we can do them better for everyone's sake.

Ok the second thing, I had forgotten one of the limitations of PBEM mean that you have to anticipate character actions, my getting on the truck didn't take account of what Stone First getting into combat. Had I thought about it, I'd have had a line that said, "I join in with Stone fist rather than hide on the truck!"

Ok my bad, but something for me to think about.

The other thing is can I attach my belt to a trucks axel and not be chewed up or the belt worn out and thus I fall off? It doesn't seem like the smartest of moves, but certainly hanging onto the truck whilst its moving doesn't either ;-)

Just to say if I do come off I'll do my best to follow, either by hitching a lift, or trying to get back on some other way? But if all else fails I'll retrace my steps (as best I can) to the docks find my sister and see if she knows where the warehouse is.

Sj
Steeple_jackuk
Steeple_jackuk
Cosmic Level

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Fri Dec 16 2011, 17:21

OOC Will split the combat into separate lines from now on. I'm still working on the specifics of the game system but will put something in the ooc section to give you some idea of what your characters can and can't do. To be honest, this is simply a tryout for testing the hero point/combat mechanic. If it's fast and works I'll knock something out in more detail. It's going to be based heavily on the old DC Heroes game because a) I haven't the time or commitment to write a game from scratch before the end of the century and b) it's long out of print, so I won't be treading on any toes. Call it a modified, house ruled, retro clone if you like Smile

As for the Axle, I did think of the turning thing but what may have is a metal sleeve housing then (and keeping the grease in, road gunk out). Though it might get a bit warm, wrapping the belt around that won't burn it through or have Jade Hood spinning about like he was in a washing machine Smile

I did think on having Jade Hood leap into the fray, but that would have spoiled his chances completely of going unseen. Stone Fist was the perfect distraction for Jade Hood, so I didn't even bother rolling, simply compared his agility+thief skill vs a target number, which he surpassed.

With regards learning the rules, the only reason I use the game mechanics is to introduce chance and limits to the game. Having played free form (systemless) games before they tend to be quite hand-wavey (The Amazing X man leapt into a crowd of goons, defeated them all with one punch and caught the girl in one hand as she fell, the car in the other... Try rolling dice for that lot! Instead you just assume X Man does it without breaking a sweat) whilst using dice often gets rather too random, in that stuff that should be easy might fail horribly. That's why the energy/hero point mechanic allowing you to pump more dice into a task. It won't guarantee success, but it will increase your chances hopefully.

That said, all the players need to do is define what their character says and does, and I'll take care of the 'under the hood' stuff. And yes, I'll admit, it does get messy and incomprehensible at times so I'll look at maybe dumping all that stuff at the bottom of the post away from the narrative, so you don't have to pick through it. After all as a player, you only need to know if you succeeded, or by how much (bad or REALLY bad) you failed. Point taken.
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Fri Dec 16 2011, 19:48

Stone Fist leapt for the truck! Seeing the truck set off, he pumped his arms and legs as far as they could move, and ... LEAPT!

The ground receded, and he looked down upon the docks, the stacked crates, the scattering immigrants and hiding dock workers! Few were looking up long enough to see the heavily muscled man soar high through the air and come down towards the truck! leaping had been one thing - a colossal effort that would smash any Olympic record - landing would be quite another!

Spreading himself out, Stone Fist lands and rolls on the hard truck roof, spreading himself flat and clinging onto the front edge of the roof as the truck bounced along!

Inside, the goons looked through the windows. "Cops!" they muttered as they heard sirens get closer. "Step on it!"

"Hey! You hear that?"

"No. Maybe we bashed a crate. Come on!"

The truck rumbled through the streets, heading towards a run down section of town in the warehouse district. Many businesses had folded and most of the places stood deserted. The truck pulled up behind the car with Cut-Throat and the other goons in, and the group walked up some stairs to an old brownstone building. Most of the windows were boarded up, and it looked deserted and uninhabitable, but the gangsters walked into the entrance as if it were home. Two goons took up guard posts on the outside, tommy guns held at the ready.

Stone Fist lay flat on the roof. He was almost at eye level with the goons - if he stood up they'd see him!

Underneath the truck, unbeknown to Stone Fist, Jade Hood unhooked his belt and rolled out on the blind side of the truck. The setting sun cast long shadows across the deserted street, the buildings dusty monuments to a time before the crash and home to vagrants or rats. Jade Hood peered through the side window at the Gangsters hideout and figured the place was home to rats as well - of the human variety...

OOC Stone Fist will have to be extra sneaky to avoid being seen. Jade Hood has an easier time of it. The gangsters building is half a dozen storeys high. The buildings to either side are detached, with a 15' gap between. There are four windows (all boarded up) per floor. Two guards with tommy guns are some 30' away from the truck. They are alert, and after the run around they've just gotten at the docks (which should have been an easy load and drop off) somewhat itchy of the trigger finger...

=========MECHANICS SECTION=========

• Stone Fist leaps for the truck. Normally he can leap 40' (Jumping 2s range) without breaking a sweat. For each point of jumping he's effectively leaping 20'. He can 'push' his leaping to jump further than ever before, with each extra point he gains adding 20' to the range. When 'pushing' an ability it's a simple process. For each 3 points (or part of) rolled on 2d10 over 11, add 1 point to the characters range. I assume Stone Fist adds a couple of energy points (an extra 1d10 per point) to the roll, and he adds his Will stat. His initial two dice come up 1d10=10, 1d10=1, and his extra dice (from spending energy) come up 1d10=9, 1d10=3. He takes the 10 and the 9, drops the other dice, and adds his Will (3). Total is 22, 11 points higher than 11. That's +4 to his jump so he leaps 2 (his normal jumping) + 4 (his pushed points) x 20'. 120' is the max range of this leap, and the truck was 80' away. Success in other words. Stone Fist is on 3/5 energy.

• Stone Fist tries to land. The Difficulty is 10 (base difficulty) + Difficulty of the task 4, total 14. His Agility (3) is used for this task. Using another energy point for this. The target number is 14, so a roll of 15 or more is needed for success! 1d10=4, 1d10=4, 1d10=10. Oooh, there's a dilemma! Double 4, or choose the 10 instead of a 4? In truth, the double 4 (giving another 2d10) doesn't matter as picking 10+4+Agility (3) will do the job. Landing successful! Stone fist is on 2/5 energy. If he doesn't use any more in the next post you make, he'll recover a point.
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  DavidMcMahon Fri Dec 16 2011, 20:07

Stone Fist wasn't sure if he was bulletproof or not but charging the two goons at the door didn't seem like a good idea now that they were alert and ready. Instead, he looked at the adjoining buildings and decided he could easily jump from one to the roof of the building the gang was using.

Now all he had to do was get there. He thought for a moment then tried to move slowly and cautiously off the roof of the truck to drop to the street side of the truck, next to the tire so it would hide him. If successful and not being observed he would remove his hood and move to the other side of the street where he would then walk down the street away from the goons, then double back to a nearby building to get to its roof to try to leap across.
DavidMcMahon
DavidMcMahon
Cosmic Level

Back to top Go down

Post  Steeple_jackuk Fri Dec 16 2011, 21:06

Admin wrote: Jade Hood unhooked his belt and rolled out on the blind side of the truck. The setting sun cast long shadows across the deserted street, the buildings dusty monuments to a time before the crash and home to vagrants or rats. Jade Hood peered through the side window at the Gangsters hideout and figured the place was home to rats as well - of the human variety...

Jade Hood, took in the scene before him taking time to look around to make sure no one else was watching him before seeking to melt into the shadows and find a back way into the tenement building.

OOC:

1. Ok I am looking for a back way in, seeking to exploit the opportunity that the guys are looking for a burly guy in a sack or the police.

2. I am interested in finding out information, listening in on what is going on and finding out names, contacts or other information that might lead to other stands of the web that might connect these guys to others, unless they are a lone gang.

3. At some point Dave and I might clash in character, I think its fair to assume that since I saw Stone Fist before, I would be interested in working together, since I think we want the same or similar goals

Sj
Steeple_jackuk
Steeple_jackuk
Cosmic Level

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Fri Dec 16 2011, 23:38

As Jade Hood looked about to find a good time to dart into the shadows of a building and from there find a back way in, he started, looking up and seeing a pair of legs lowering down from the roof of the truck!

The hooded muscle man (Stone Fist) turned to see a man in a green half face mask tied at the back and wearing ordinary jeans and shirt, albeit covered in sludge and road grime from having ridden under the truck!

Was he friend, or foe?

Behind the truck on the blind side of where the pair stood, a gangster lit a cigarette before looking out into the gathering gloom as the sun set. His companion muttered "We shore made a mess o that pickup. Think the boss is gonna go nuts wid us?"

OOC I'll sit back and watch you two guys sort this out. Will it be the classic hero vs hero then team up, or will they strike up an instant rapport? That'll be for you to decide Smile Stone Fist is on 3/5 Energy.
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  DavidMcMahon Sat Dec 17 2011, 02:52

Stone Fist cocks his head to look at the new man, and cocks his fist just in case. He's glad he didn't take off his hood yet. First sign this new guy is part of this gang, he attacks him.
DavidMcMahon
DavidMcMahon
Cosmic Level

Back to top Go down

Post  Steeple_jackuk Sat Dec 17 2011, 08:19

DavidMcMahon wrote:Stone Fist cocks his head to look at the new man, and cocks his fist just in case. He's glad he didn't take off his hood yet. First sign this new guy is part of this gang, he attacks him.

Moving forward, but with his hands raised in a non threatening manner, Jade Hood, whispered so as not to be overheard. "I saw you at the docks, you helped my the people and stopped these thugs getting away with their crime. I thank you. Perhaps if you are interested in stopping this gang, or indeed those who'd use such men to harm the defenceless, then we might be able to work together. Find out what is going on here?"

Jade stood for a moment as he let his words sink in, the man was formidable, how he'd stood up to those goons and somehow managed to arrive here, spoke of his ability and resourcefulness. Jade didn't wish to fight him and sorely needed a friend, as he himself was a stranger in this strange land of America. Land of the free, but not for all.

OOC:

1. Ok if attacked I'll attack. But I hope that I appear honourable enough to be trusted.
2. Assuming that is so I'll suggest my plan of trying to sneak in around the back or perhaps even going in over the top, fire escape to the roof and then jump across sort of thing.
3. But the idea that a) we find out what is going on who is behind this, any others etc, b) then seek to stop them before they can stop us.
4. All of this is subject to ammendment if Dave/Stonefist thinks of something better more appropriate etc.

Sj
Steeple_jackuk
Steeple_jackuk
Cosmic Level

Back to top Go down

Post  DavidMcMahon Sat Dec 17 2011, 11:42

"Gonna call myself Stone Fist," he rumbles quietly. "Got a whiff of some gas that made me tougher. Plan on taking down these guys, to show them they don't own the city. Guess you got the same idea, what with the mask and alll."

He looks at the smaller man.

"I was planning on going to a nearby roof and jump across to their building and work my way down. You game to try that or do you have another idea?"

ooc: So no brawl in the middle of the street. Darn! cheers
DavidMcMahon
DavidMcMahon
Cosmic Level

Back to top Go down

Post  Steeple_jackuk Sat Dec 17 2011, 12:20

DavidMcMahon wrote:ooc: So no brawl in the middle of the street. Darn! cheers

OOC: So mature, Dave ;-)

===

Jade Hood nodded at his new found allies, "I guess you can call me the Jade Hood. I like your plan, it sounds good to me also. Lets see if we can sneak around without being noticed."

With that Jade led the way, seeking to make sure that they hid where possible before finding a neaby building from which they could climb to the roof and sneak across, unnoticed.

OOC:

Right, what Stone Fist said. I'll use power points if need be, might need to do the old, throw a stone in the opposite direction whist to distract the goons if we get to some open ground, before getting to a building. But so be it.

Sj
Steeple_jackuk
Steeple_jackuk
Cosmic Level

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Sat Dec 17 2011, 14:20

The new found allies peer around the side of the truck. The two gangsters stood guard at the front door, getting more relaxed as time moved on.

At the opportune moment, the two would be vigilantes made their move.

Stone Fist
glanced at the goons with guns, then at the lithe smaller man who seemed to spring forward like a greyhound. The way he clung to shadows and waited for the right moment to move... man! How was he ever gonna top that? He glanced at his own mountain of steel hard muscle - shoulders, arms, chest, solid 6 pack... suddenly he didn't feel so super...

"Here goes nothin!" muttered Stone Fist. He dashed across the gap, behind a low wall for steps, and again to the short run to get into an alley.

"You see that?" muttered one of the gangsters.

From around the corner, Stone Fist rested against the wall, fist clenched...

"Yeah. Never seen a rat kick a cats ass before! Tough neighbourhood, huh?"

Stone Fist relaxed. He turned to look into the shadows and found that Jade Hood had already climbed up a fire escape ladder by acrobatically running at a wall and launching himself up to catch the bottom rung! The big man smiled, looked up, and launched himself near on 3 storeys straight up!

The speed of the smaller man matched the bigger mans leg muscles, and both reached the roof at the same time. As expected, the Gangsters building had a couple of guards stationed on the roof as lookouts. They stood some 50' away from where the vigilantes were, and would easily see an attempt to leap the gap between buildings. There were options though. Stone Fist could see a number of bricks lying around, Jade Hood had his throwing stars.... Both knew their aim would have to be spot on. Failure to take down a goon would result in the other raising the alarm!

OOC this might get tricky! Doing enough damage to take a goon down in one shot will takes some doing!

=========MECHANICS SECTION=========

SNEAKING PAST THE GUARDS ON THE FLOOR
: Ok you'll be testing your agility+thief vs their Perception stat (2)

• Jade Hood uses a couple of energy points (is that what we're calling them, or something else? Maybe Hero Points can be something else entirely.) At any time you can 'take 10' instead of rolling. That's what I'll be doing with both the goons, which means the target number is to beat their Perception (2) + 10, so 13 or more. 1d10=2, 1d10=1, 1d10=8, 1d10=4. Dreadful rolls. Good job you used a couple of energy points! Take the 8 and 4, drop the other dice and add to Agility (4) and Thief (4). Total 20. Jade Hoods energy stands at 3/5

• Stone Fist tries the same. No mention of using energy, so it'll be a straight dice roll. Stone Fists energy rises to 4/5. 1d10=8, 1d10=7. As it turns out, his total is 20 too (15 + agility 3 + thief 2)
With regards energy recovery, I'll add an extra energy point to your totals for every action you make that you don't spend energy on, if that makes sense. Seeing as this is entirely a play by post game, I think the mechanic will be fine. If in a face to face game, it'd have to be every round/minute/hour of game time.
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  DavidMcMahon Sat Dec 17 2011, 14:35

ooc: I think we should call them Luck Points or Reality Points since that is what we are trying to do, change our luck or reality.

Stone Fist whispers, "Can you take the guy on the left? I will take the one on the right."

Using his points, he is going to leap the 50' to attack his target.
DavidMcMahon
DavidMcMahon
Cosmic Level

Back to top Go down

Post  Steeple_jackuk Sat Dec 17 2011, 14:41

Admin wrote:As expected, the Gangsters building had a couple of guards stationed on the roof as lookouts. They stood some 50' away from where the vigilantes were, and would easily see an attempt to leap the gap between buildings.

OOC: I have to say I didn't expect goons on the roof! But knowing that probably means they're at the back door as well, anyway. But who puts people on a roof? Unless you anticipate police coming over the top rather than around the back. But, however if they're on the roof to look out on the street and in case they hear sirens, that to me makes more sense. Anyway enough with the sour grapes.

"Can you take the guy on the left? I will take the one on the right."

Jade turned to his ally, impressed by his physical abilities. "My friend I can but try. But look take a brick, if they are able to get their guns trained on us before we make it too them, at least you'll have something to throw and spoil their aim. I will use these." He said revealing a throwing star.

OOC: Ok So I will use Hero/reality etc points, to make the jump if need be, and then use them again to add damage to any attacks I need to make. I'm going for damage if I hit since I've only got three points left. No point in hitting and then doing pants damage.

Sj

Steeple_jackuk
Steeple_jackuk
Cosmic Level

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Mon Dec 19 2011, 12:46

OOC How about effort points? After all, you're putting in extra effort. There's no guarantee that effort will reap rewards though... The guards are looking out over the city, specifically down long streets and listening for sirens/police cars. They may be goons, but they aren't stupid Smile Besides, making things too easy? Not gonna happen Smile

Stone Fist tensed powerful leg muscles whilst Jade Hood moved to the edge they were stood on. Before Jade Hood could protest, the powerful superhuman soared through the air, delivering a might kick to the unsuspecting goon! The Gangster flew through the air, crashing into fire escape entrance wall on the roof and sliding down! He looked to be lying add an odd angle, but despite broken bones and concussion, he would live - when he woke in a day or so!

Jade Hood didn't have time to protest! He tossed the throwing star at his foe!

The shining weapon spun through the air with deadly accuracy! It slammed home in the bad guys forehead and he fell without a sound!

Stone Fist glanced down at the dead guy. He'd never seen a shot like that before, but he recognised the thug! Arnie Capazzo. Notorious killer and hired goon. Though the police couldn't pin it on him, the man was wanted for dozens of murders! Everyone on the street knew.. now this mystery man had ensured the fellow would never again take an innocent life! But did that make him as bad as the guys they were taking down? Perhaps some rules should be set.. some line that could not be crossed. Stone Fist saw the machine guns on the floor. There was no doubt it was kill or be killed when dealing with these guys though...

=========MECHANICS SECTION==========

• No mention from David M if he was gonna go for the brick throw so we'll go with his original action. He can leap 40' without extra effort, so the extra 10' will not need much effort. Effort Point used to leap. 1d10=2, 1d10=2, 1d10=4. Ugh! Dreadful roll! Saying that, it's a double... Add 1d10=9, 1d10=5. Total roll is 18, plus Will of 3, total 21. That's 4 points extra Jumping and enough for an extra 80' on top of his 40' leaping distance if need be. He doesn't need all that, so the 3 extra points will add to damage inflicted.
  • He then attacks the goon at the end of the leap... 2 Effort Points on attack, 1 on damage. 1d10=3, 1d10=7, 1d10=2, 1d10=7. First two dice came up 3 and 7. The extra effort comes up with 2 and 7. We'll pick the two 7s and drop the other dice. The Double comes up with an extra 1d10=2, 1d10=6. 22 rolled. The Goon doesn't get to add dice. He would add 10 to his Combat score normally, but as he's been taken by surprise we add 5. His total is 11, and Stone Fists attack is 9 (Combat Score) plus 3 (brawling) plus 22 (roll). Total 34, 23 points more than the bad guy! That adds +8 to his damage! Damage is Strength (5) plus 3 (from the jump) plus 8 (high roll!) plus 1 (Hard skin acts as knuckle duster!) plus 2d10 and an extra effort die. 1d10=6, 1d10=4, 1d10=3. We'll pick the 6 and 4. Total 27, less the goons resistance (2) and dice roll (in this case we'll just take 10 instead of rolling the dice). Total is 15 damage. POW! The Goon flies through the air, crashes against the wall and slides down, unconscious for hours!
  • Jade Hood attacks with Combat Score (11) plus Martial Arts 5 (used to attack with martial arts style weapons). The difficulty is 5 (unaware goon, normally 10) plus combat score (6) plus distance (2). At this range, he can't miss! That said, a double 1 will miss every time! 1d10=3, 1d10=4 hits. Total of 10 difference. +4 damage. Damage is strength 3 (thrown weapon) plus throwing star 3, plus 4 from attack roll. Resistance is 12. With extra effort we roll five dice. 1d10=8, 1d10=2, 1d10=10, 1d10=1, 1d10=10 First two dice aren't bad (total 10) but with the extra dice to pick from we'll take the two tens! Double comes up with an extra 1d10=1, 1d10=5. Total 26 rolled, plus 10 minus 12 resistance, 24 damage! That's enough to KILL the goon. That said, this is not unusual for the genre the game is set in, and the police won't exactly shed any tears!
  • I think we'll set some kind of rule whereby if you wish to pull your punch and do enough damage without killing the bad guy, we'll boost resistance by another 5 points or an extra 2d10 rolled (and pick the best two dice to use, dropping the rest).

Both characters have 0/5 effort remaining...
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Steeple_jackuk Mon Dec 19 2011, 14:14

Admin wrote:I think we'll set some kind of rule whereby if you wish to pull your punch and do enough damage without killing the bad guy, we'll boost resistance by another 5 points or an extra 2d10 rolled (and pick the best two dice to use, dropping the rest).

Both characters have 0/5 effort remaining...

OOC: I agree, Jade Hood wouldn't have gone for killing the guy, his own sense of moral justice and seeking to right wrongs that the criminal system has overlooked or been too coward by is what drives him.

Jade Hood stood over the criminal, a dark look crossed his face. "I didn't mean to..." He looked shaken, but a steely resolve came over him. He hated to take a life, but this man, the guns, he lived by a different moral code to the one that Jade lived by. But nonetheless he didn't wish to sink to their level.

Moving toward the door, he motioned for Stone Fist to follow, his actions would have to atone for his mistakes now.

OOC:

OK so if I take point as I am the stealthier of the two of us, but since we're unlikely to get too far without hitting opposition, Stone Fist might as well stay close. What do you think Dave?

Otherwise lets head down, if we find no resistance, I personally am keen to find out what we can before we get entangled in any fighting - whether its ransacking files or paperwork or listening in on them talking, before we mix it up and potentially loose any leads.

Sj
Steeple_jackuk
Steeple_jackuk
Cosmic Level

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Mon Dec 19 2011, 14:27

OOC Well David M's the expert on this era of comics, but it's the sort of time when 'masked mystery men' used gadgets, guns, potions and anything that came to hand in order to put the bad guys down. A pair of .45s, blazing away. I'm pretty sure even Batman used a gun in his first appearance! That's the sort of 'gritty' genre this power Class 1 is best suited for. Bear in mind as well that a clean shot from a gun will punch through any defence you have (though Stone Fist has 3 defence from his Tough Skin that will slow bullets - it in no way makes him bulletproof though!). If one of the good guys gets gunned down, I'll cook up another to replace him. If both get minced up, we'll switch to Power Class 2 and a more '4 colour' adventure, as seen in the 40s with Nazis being the main enemies. I'll bear in mind that you're aiming to take down, rather than kill. With that in mind you might want to restrict use of Throwing stars to tougher opponents, but it's really the roll that took down the bad guy.
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Steeple_jackuk Mon Dec 19 2011, 14:29

Admin wrote:OOC Well David M's the expert on this era of comics, but it's the sort of time when 'masked mystery men' used gadgets, guns, potions and anything that came to hand in order to put the bad guys down. A pair of .45s, blazing away. I'm pretty sure even Batman used a gun in his first appearance! That's the sort of 'gritty' genre this power Class 1 is best suited for. Bear in mind as well that a clean shot from a gun will punch through any defence you have (though Stone Fist has 3 defence from his Tough Skin that will slow bullets - it in no way makes him bulletproof though!). If one of the good guys gets gunned down, I'll cook up another to replace him. If both get minced up, we'll switch to Power Class 2 and a more '4 colour' adventure, as seen in the 40s with Nazis being the main enemies. I'll bear in mind that you're aiming to take down, rather than kill. With that in mind you might want to restrict use of Throwing stars to tougher opponents, but it's really the roll that took down the bad guy.

True but if I'd gone for the gun hand, he might have been maimed but not died. In any case you're right this is a more black and white slightly tougher stand. So maybe its kill, when necessary. Certainly I don't want Jade to get minced up.

Sj
Steeple_jackuk
Steeple_jackuk
Cosmic Level

Back to top Go down

Post  DavidMcMahon Mon Dec 19 2011, 15:59

ooc: The Shadow, the Whisperer and the Spider killed. They were considered anti-heroes and wanted by the law. The Whisperer was actually Police Commissioner Jim "Wildcat" Gordon!!!!

Doc Savage didn't but sent captured crooks to a special "college" where he did brain operations on them removing all previous memories and teaching them to hate crime and retrain them in job skills. He had a special commission from various city police departments to act as a policeman. His aides were a little less reluctant to kill, but it was still a rare thing for them to do so.

The Avenger didn't kill but always arranged the final death trap the villain sets up to take out the person who uses the death trap, usually after warning them not to. The Green Hornet rarely killed, generally using his gas gun to take out crooks but was wanted by the law because he posed as a criminal trying to take over all the other gangs in town and getting them captured instead.

Might want to see what the rules can do with gas guns or gas grenades [in Doc Savage's case] taking out crooks in one shot. Doc would use gas incased in glass bubbles that would knock folks in a room out but would dissapate in a minute so he and his men would hold their breaths when he used them.

The others - The Skipper, the Phantom Detective, The Black Bat, The Domino Lady - they would kill on occasion but it was rare, mostly it would happen by accident or by crooks dooming themselves somehow.

"Go ahead and lead," Stone Fist tells the smaller man. "I'm not so sneaky. Like you, I didn't intend to kill but I don't know my own strength yet and these folks are playing for keeps. I would prefer to turn them over to the Law but if a few die under man hands ... so be it."

DavidMcMahon
DavidMcMahon
Cosmic Level

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 6 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next