The Vanguard Play by Post Roleplaying Game
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Jade Hood and Stone Fist Issue #1 (System Tryout)

3 posters

Page 6 of 6 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6

Go down

Jade Hood and Stone Fist Issue #1 (System Tryout) - Page 6 Empty Re: Jade Hood and Stone Fist Issue #1 (System Tryout)

Post  Steeple_jackuk Sat Jan 21 2012, 13:22

Admin wrote:
Jade Hood is the only that strikes Baron Bloot, whose efforts are cancelled out by Stone Fists' attack. Stone Fist loses his effort point (he never got to damage his foe) unfortunately. Effect for Jade Hood is 4 accuracy, 3 strength, 2 Nunchucks vs 5 Body and 4 toughness. Roll of 10+7 for Jade Hood, 7+7 for Baron Bloot! Follow up roll is 7+5, total 26 rolled and 35 resistance total. Gonna be tough for Jade Hood to crack that... His total of 26 is some way short![/i]

OOC:
But Paul my previous post said I'd only use an effort point on accuracy so I don't was to miss, otherwise let it all go on maximising damage! Sorry if that wasn't clearer, what effect would that have on the rolls? Above!

=========

Admin wrote:CRASH! CRASH! The door started to bow inwards!

OOC:

Well firstly I'd like to know if I did take the Baron down before this all happened with me expending all my effort points in a last ditch attempt to get him down.

Even if we don't take down the Baron, then I suggest to Stone Fist he goes high, through the office, since he can jump. But grabs any papers or information he can find. Whilst I get Lamont out the back way, to make sure no goons stop here and I suggest we meet back on the roof of Cut Throats place, unless Dave has a better idea.

Gesturing to the woman reporter, Jade Hood motioned for them to leave and quickly at that.

Sj
Steeple_jackuk
Steeple_jackuk
Cosmic Level

Back to top Go down

Jade Hood and Stone Fist Issue #1 (System Tryout) - Page 6 Empty Re: Jade Hood and Stone Fist Issue #1 (System Tryout)

Post  Admin Sat Jan 21 2012, 23:37

OOC missed the tossing in of everything part, sorry. If you make it clear Razz i.e. 1 point on accuracy, 2 on damage... heheh. Right. your effect (damage) roll was 10+7. Two extra points nett rolls of... 10+4! That's a double 10! Next roll is... 3+3! Another double! Finally 6+8. Total roll is 40, plus 9 (his effect) equals 49 and 14 points of damage to Baron Bloot! This changes things completely!

This posts result supersedes my last one!

As the baron backed away towards the stairs Jade Hood remembered the misery and death this mans experiments had wrought! He spat "I'm not finished with you yet!" the Baron snorted, raising his fists, but Jade Hood was a blur of motion, pummelling and jabbing with the nunchucks, swinging them with all his might! "Wait!" spluttered the baron before his mouth exploded in a spray of blood and broken teeth! With his face a bruised ruin, the giant angrily staggered upright. "You vill..." the next flurry of blows silenced the fellow who fell to his knees, cradling his head! Jade Hood stood back, gasping, and saw the Baron out on his feet! Only his massive bulk held him up, and when a cautious goon ran up, pushing the brute on the shoulder, he fell into a mashed up pile of bruised muscle and bleeding cuts!

Breathing hard, Jade Hood turned and nodded to Stone Fist. The bigger man had done the damage, Jade Hood had 'brought it home' and the Baron was well out of it, his battering sure to be a lesson he would not soon forget! Despite his superhuman power and durability, the determination of two masked mystery men had brought him down.. though they might soon struggle to explain their own actions as the doors crashed inwards!

"FREEZE! This is the FBI" shouted a suited officer, flanked on all sides by others like him and rank and file policemen! they were momentarily stunned by the sea of sleeping, drugged hobos and Lamont used that to hurry over to Jade Hood and Stone Fist! "We have to get out of here!" she gasped. "Come on!" and headed to the back door, already opened by the goons and no doubt soon to be covered by police and G-men!

OOC up to you if you go. Baron Bloot is well and truly out for the count (on -10 health, not enough to kill him but certainly enough to have him out for hours!) The police and FBI are swarming in, and trying to wake hobos as they go, but watching for goons and armed men. They won't take too kindly to masked vigilantes, that's for sure! Sorry Dave (E) about the missing of effort points, but the result was well worth it with some fantastic rolls (I roll 2d10 now. Combat just speeds through I'm finding, not sure how it is for you guys?) Over to you.
Admin
Admin
Admin

https://darkeningshadows.darkbb.com

Back to top Go down

Post  DavidMcMahon Sun Jan 22 2012, 00:02

ooc: Actually I want to leave her here while Jade Fist and I escape. She can tell the story and be believed, especially when she shows all the burlap bags with gas masks and strange gas grenades in them.
DavidMcMahon
DavidMcMahon
Cosmic Level

Back to top Go down

Post  Steeple_jackuk Sun Jan 22 2012, 08:22

DavidMcMahon wrote:ooc: Actually I want to leave her here while Jade Fist and I escape. She can tell the story and be believed, especially when she shows all the burlap bags with gas masks and strange gas grenades in them.

OOC:
Thanks Paul, but you were right about me being clearer also. But what a difference those extra points made.

Speaking quickly, Jade Hood turned to the reporter after catching his friends eye.

"My dear lady, I think you'd could now best serve us and these poor people who nearly became the Baron's victims by telling the world what went on here. Leave us out."

And with that Jade Hood followed his friend out of the building.

OOC:
I guess in order to get out we'll try and take the roof, and jump across to another building to get away, as you mention that the back will be surrounded. Alternatively, if there is any way under the building, say we're over the water etc, we could drop down. But clearly at this point we need to get out unnoticed.

I guess if worst comes to worse, we just slip in among the other sleepers and pretend we were here as they were. It might work, if we could slip away in the confusion afterwards. I depends how thorough they want to be with questioning.

Sj

Steeple_jackuk
Steeple_jackuk
Cosmic Level

Back to top Go down

Post  DavidMcMahon Sun Jan 22 2012, 13:39

We regain a few points, Stone Fist can use them to leap, with Jade Mask in his arms, can leap the distances needed to get to another roof where we can remove our disguises and blend in with the normal folks.
DavidMcMahon
DavidMcMahon
Cosmic Level

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Sun Jan 22 2012, 22:23

"Leave you out? But... you saved these people... or... I think you did." she glances at the cannisters in the rucksacks, now abandoned, and nods. "Perhaps best you two go. I'll contact my editor. He has a friend in the local FBI office. he can sort things out."

=========

Spotting the right time to leave as the sleeping people awake, the pair go out the back door...

With Jade Hood in his arms, Stone Fist leaps an incredible forty feet straight up to hop lightly onto the roof of an adjoining building, and they are away!

Several blocks away, both are able to get a breather and reflect on what they have done. They saved a room full of drugged hobos and down and outs from being gassed, and possibly killed. They busted an illegal racket that sucked immigrants in for experimentation. They established themselves as protectors of the public good and someone to stand up for the weak and oppressed. But what now?

As a light breeze brushed their faces the pair watched the sun slowly lower beyond the horizon of the city, casting deep shadows and welcoming another kind of problem. The city was riddled with crime. The police seemed powerless or corrupt, paid off by the crooks they were supposed to be catching. Would these two vigilantes risk their lives or jail time in order that they could take on the system, such as it was, and make a difference?

Could one man make a difference?

Perhaps not. But maybe two could...?

Jade Hood and Stone Fist Issue #1 (System Tryout) - Page 6 End_of_issue_1

OOC Issue 1 was mostly about introducing the system and how it works. I think you guys got into the swing of effort points and how they can make a difference. So here's a new concept to get hold of:

Hero Points - earned by saving innocents, thwarting the villain, saving lives and being heroic, whenever a player spends a hero point (stated BEFORE the roll) they spend just one, then get to discard one die (of the two they would normally roll) and replace the result with a roll the same as the other die rolled. In other words, it's a guaranteed double! They also have the benefit of completely cancelling out any penalty dice. These are nasty things, rolled in addition to the normal 2d10 when a character attempts a task. One or more penalty dice are rolled and the GM then selects the worst result for the character, discarding the other dice. When you use a hero point, you ignore penalty dice and get a double result, so they shouldn't be used lightly! Hero points are expended and do not return like effort points do, so be careful when and how you spend them!

Another concept is:

Character Points - these are what a character is made with (I'm toying with a random system too, but some peoples' screwy dice mean one person ends up with a powerful character, and another gets a street cleaner). When the character is made the player spends character points on Abilities, Powers, Skills and advantages (like a secret base, contacts in the police department or government and so on) and gets more character points to spend by accepting weaknesses for the character (like vulnerability to growing green rocks from their home world, a dependency on some serum for their powers, or weakness against fire, amongst other things). Character points are also handed out as 'experience' at the end of adventures for a player to spend and increase their characters scores. This is usually more expensive than buying the APS in the first place, and improvement takes place over time.

Based on what you accomplished this issue, the characters receive:

1 Hero Point for Thwarting the villains plans (Cut-throat)
1 Hero point for thwarting Baron Bloots plan
1 Hero point for saving all those drugged guys
1 Hero point for beating up bad guys and being heroic
1 Hero point for roleplaying

That's 5 hero points each, in total. I haven't gotten to character creation yet so it's pointless handing out character points. I'll run another issue with these guys and we'll test some more stuff out. If it works, and is easy to understand, I'll write it into the game, otherwise I'll shelve it. If there's anything you need explaining, holler.

I think Dave M had a query about combat, wondering if he'd hit or not. Melee combat occurs at the same time. Each party rolls their totals and the highest hits. If someone wants to avoid (or parry) a blow, they can add any other defensive APS (like Acrobatics, Danger Sense, or a Force Field) to their total. In that case, if they exceed the other characters' total, they avoid their attack, but don't inflict any damage. I'm working off the base of the DC Heroes`game but it's getting further apart the more I add. I intend to include a similar character creation system (point buy) so you can pick the character you want to play, add abilities powers and skills as you like, then add any tweaks you think you need. Perhaps a Cold attack that has an area effect, for instance. It won't be complex, and certainly nothing like Hero system or Mutants and Masterminds. I like those games but character creation is a nightmare! Watch for issue 2...

Admin
Admin
Admin

https://darkeningshadows.darkbb.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Steeple_jackuk Sun Jan 22 2012, 22:30

All sounds good, besides this is what we are about, playing to shake down the rules. Mind you if things continue to go this well, we might have to return to this world as well ;-)

Sj
Steeple_jackuk
Steeple_jackuk
Cosmic Level

Back to top Go down

Post  DavidMcMahon Tue Jan 24 2012, 21:23

A one on one fight, just giving the results of the one who hit is fine but when it is multiple foes, shouldn't more than one blow have a chance to hit?

So the Baron beats Stone Fist's attack and gets to hit him but Stone Fist doesn't while Jade Hood's attack beats the Baron's. So shouldn't he be able to hit in that situation as well? That way only the lowest rolled doesn't get an attack. But only when they gang up on a foe. Now if the foe has some kind of superspeed so he can attack twice in a round, it would negate the two on one advantage in this example so only one would hit out of the three. Or is that too confusing and slows things down too much?
DavidMcMahon
DavidMcMahon
Cosmic Level

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 6 of 6 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6