The Vanguard Play by Post Roleplaying Game
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Jade Hood and Stone Fist Issue #1 (System Tryout)

3 posters

Page 5 of 6 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Go down

Jade Hood and Stone Fist Issue #1 (System Tryout) - Page 5 Empty Re: Jade Hood and Stone Fist Issue #1 (System Tryout)

Post  Admin Sat Jan 14 2012, 12:02

OOC The stat you need to convince others is your Aura (+ Charisma skill if you have it) vs Intelligence of the target. Luckily, these guys aren't too smart, but there is a modifier for difficulty. With 4 Aura Stone Fist is likeable, intimidating or can convince pretty well compared to the normal persons' intelligence (2) so he's got the best chance of pulling off a 'drunken man' act. You have 5/5 effort points remaining and it might be worth sinking one or two in to make sure you succeed (or at least increase your chances). Lamont and Jade Hood have 3 Aura, above average but not overly impressive, whereas Stone Fist stands out in a crowd. See the 6th Jan post at 19.59 from me in this thread for an explanation of what does what.

"What are you...two?" said Lamont under her breath "Talking about? Drug? Gas? Masks? What is going on? I'm going to go up there and demand that...oh..."

Just then the down and outs all about all seemed to be yawning and settling down, some slipping hats over faces, others letting soup bowls slip from nerveless hands. Lamont glanced at the bowl of soup she'd been about to try and sat down, so as not to be the only one stood up in a sea of snoring men! "I'm getting scared, this doesn't look good!" she said!

OOC Ok I will *assume* Stone Fist tries to pull off his drunken man act - he's a BIG guy, and they may feel he needs more soup - or a bop over the head with a stick. I'll assume you use 1 effort point, which kind of leaves you short for any fight, but if you want to be sure, it's what I'd do. Stone Fist is on 4/5 effort points. With that in mind the bad guy gets: 5+3 + 2 Int, total 10. Stone Fist gets 6+8+5 (pick 6+8) +4 (aura) -2 (difficulty to persuade) for a total of 16, 2 successes (1 per 3 points or part) which means...

"Hey! What are you... hhahahaha! Hey Louie! Take a look at this guy! He's all over th place! Think it's th' soup or booze?" called out a goon as Stone Fist swayed towards him. "Heh! Let's have some fun!" He waited for Stone Fist to stagger up, then took up a bowl of soup. "You want more, big guy? Here?" he upended the bowl on Stone Fists' head and the goons in the place immediately burst out laughing! The big man sagged to the floor, hand slipping to open the rucksack.

Two gas cannisters marked with skull and crossbones. A gas mask.

Once the goon had stopped laughing he gave Stone Fist a nudge. "This guy is out of it! That soup was sure some potent stuff! Hey, Marko, we set?"

'Marko', a big suited goon with a harsh face and severe haircut looked sternly over the crowd. "Hey you two. Styles, Portman. Move thru da crowd an' if anyone's still movin' give 'em a whack. Don't worry 'bout causin' too much damage."

Goons started to make their way through the sea of sleeping bodies, nudging with feet or pushing to ensure they were asleep. Every now and again someone stirred, and got a brass knuckle tap across the back of the head for their trouble!

They were getting closer to Jade Hood and Lamont, who had a panicked look in her eyes!

OOC We're getting very near to the point that they will gas the place. Actions? Also state any extra effort you want to apply. Jade Hood is on 5/5, Stone Fist on 4/5.

Admin
Admin
Admin

https://darkeningshadows.darkbb.com

Back to top Go down

Jade Hood and Stone Fist Issue #1 (System Tryout) - Page 5 Empty Re: Jade Hood and Stone Fist Issue #1 (System Tryout)

Post  DavidMcMahon Sat Jan 14 2012, 13:48

Since I'm laying near the bag, slip on the gas mask, slip on the burlap hood and then leap to the second floor and investigate that room. Time for subtlety is over.
DavidMcMahon
DavidMcMahon
Cosmic Level

Back to top Go down

Post  Steeple_jackuk Sat Jan 14 2012, 14:04

DavidMcMahon wrote:Since I'm laying near the bag, slip on the gas mask, slip on the burlap hood and then leap to the second floor and investigate that room. Time for subtlety is over.

OOC:

As Stone Fist gets the hood on and mask, hopefully the others notice, but not before he can get the drop on them and leap to the office. I will use this to also get to one of the sacks, grabbing it and decking the guards before throwing it to Lamont and going for another one, by this time I've also pulled on my own mask, hoping that one Oriental looks like another to those around.

I'll use throwing stars at anyone who goes for a gun, otherwise sink effort points into getting the first mask to Lamont and then going for the second. After that, I am sure all hell will break loose, so we need to try and get the goons to come after one or both of us. If we get the Nazi's into a vulnerable position (i.e. without gas masks for instance) no one will think of releasing the gas. Then its a question of trying to not get plugged whilst we round these goons up.

Easy - right, when can we use our dark power ;-). Oh yeah, eep maybe not so easy after all.

Sj
Steeple_jackuk
Steeple_jackuk
Cosmic Level

Back to top Go down

Post  DavidMcMahon Sat Jan 14 2012, 14:27

rule one - when not bulletproof, get into the middle of a mob of bad guys. Most of them won't shoot them because they are afraid of hitting their buddies. Or their "buddies" might start shooting back due to the preceived attack. cheers
DavidMcMahon
DavidMcMahon
Cosmic Level

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Mon Jan 16 2012, 01:46

With a sudden lunge Stone Fist grabbed the rucksack, scooped up the gas mask and pulled it on...

"Hey! Hey this guy is..." shouted the goon nearest Stone Fist

He clammed up when the 'drunken bum' pulled his sack over his head, adjusting the eye holes!

"What th' hell?" muttered the goon, reaching for his gun!

Stone Fist ignored him, looked up, and leapt from a standing start to land gently on the metal walkway above! Gunshots range out as he sprinted along the metal walkway to head towards the office!

=========

Jade Hood took advantage of the confusion to grab up a nearby sack!

"Put this on!" he shouted to Lamont over the din of weapon fire as the goons fired at Stone Fist! Jade Hood moved over to a guard and swung out!

OOC Guard is shooting at Stone Fist so base defence is his Combat Score of 6. Jade Hoods' attack of 11 gets a boost of 2 points because his opponent is facing the other way and firing a weapon at another target. I'll assume he goes for damage so adds Martial Arts all to his damage. Roll of 10+9 for Jade Hood, plus 13 = 32 for his attack! 5+8 for goon, total 19. 13 points difference, which is 5 points of accuracy, plus 3 from strength and 5 from martial arts for 13 damage, less 2 for the goons body score... THWACK!

Jade Hood delivers a thunderous roundhouse kick to the goons head that flattens him immediately! Lamont, on the floor shielding her head, saw the whole thing. "Wow!" she exclaims, then looks up at Stone Fist.

Bullets splinter the wall behind and in front of the vigilante as he ducks down and hurries as best he can. Pistols prove inaccurate at range - or so he hoped. If they pulled a tommy gun he'd be in trouble though!

A nearby goon fires at Jade Hood!

OOC roll of 5+1 for Jade Hood, total defence of 17. 2+1 for goon, total attack of 11. Miss!

=========

The office door bursts open and a man steps into the doorway, shouting "STOP!"

His goons look about, confused, whilst Stone Fist continues to make his way round the walkway, grateful for the respite! Jade Hood was about to face off against three of the goons when they stop and look up to the man... who grows, before everyones' eyes! Stone Fist splutters, jogging to a halt. This guy is bigger than him now! The walkway creaks under the mans weight and starts to groan, threatening to pull away from the wall!

Jade Hood and Stone Fist Issue #1 (System Tryout) - Page 5 Baron_bloot

With shredded clothes the Baron turns to face Stone Fist, glancing at the now hooded Jade Hood below. "I do not know who you are, but you vill pay for zis outrage!"

"Deal with the little von! I shell take zis... mystery men!" says the Baron, accented voice ringing out in the warehouse!

OOC the guy is like, 9' tall, and built like the proverbial outside lavatory made of brick. He's 20' away from Stone Fist, around 50' away from where Jade Hood and Lamont are. State targets and actions, and how much effort you're putting in. Stone Fist recovers an energy point (effort point, same thing) to put him on 5/5. Remember, you can add effort to attack, defence (if you decide not to attack you can go all out on defence to avoid being hit), damage or resisting damage (though if you hit you'll have wasted an energy point resisting non existent damage!), plus any action you try that may have a chance of failure. To recap - an effort point buys an extra d10, you can spend as many as you have on one roll or several, and you choose the best two dice (a double or the highest rolls) to use whilst discarding the rest. Combat occurs in order of combat score (initiative) + 2d10, and, again, you can spend an effort point on that if you must go first. Initiative:

Baron Bloot 19
Stone Fist 25
Jade Hood 15
Goons 10

Stone Fist goes off first. He can move and attack, but will suffer a penalty to his hit roll (though may inflict more damage from a 'charge' as it were). If participating in melee, it doesn't really matter who goes first as both roll at the same time and highest score wins. Over to y'all...

Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  DavidMcMahon Mon Jan 16 2012, 03:02

Noticing how the walkway creaks under the huge man, Stone Fist gets a wild idea. He wonders if the man can jump as well as he can or if he weight prevents that from happening. So he charges, and attacks but not the Man Giant, instead, he attacks the walkway under the man's feet to see what a 20' fall will do to him.

actions: move and attack the walkway to cause the man to fall. Put a point into the effort.
DavidMcMahon
DavidMcMahon
Cosmic Level

Back to top Go down

Post  Steeple_jackuk Mon Jan 16 2012, 08:16

DavidMcMahon wrote:Noticing how the walkway creaks under the huge man, Stone Fist gets a wild idea. He wonders if the man can jump as well as he can or if he weight prevents that from happening. So he charges, and attacks but not the Man Giant, instead, he attacks the walkway under the man's feet to see what a 20' fall will do to him.

actions: move and attack the walkway to cause the man to fall. Put a point into the effort.

Jade Hood continued his assault on the nearby goons, seeking to get close to one who had a gas mask in case things went from bad to worse and someone started throwing gas about.

OOC:

1. Ok I want to take down another goon preferably one near a gas mask so I can put it on.
2. If that is not possible given the relative locations of people and what is going on I'll head into the thick of it, trying to dance and weave so as to use the element of surprise and their lack of co-ordination against them as I strike out. Perhaps using throwing stars to disable gun hands, drop weapons and so on.
3. I'll keep an eye out for Lamont, she is a liability since she might well get taken hostage, so I want to be careful she doesn't get seized as they might use her leverage us, but also with Stone Fist fighting this brute alone if things go pair shaped there I want to be prepared to change direction to come and support him, if the Baron proves too much for him alone.
4. I will only use points in this situation if need be, given that I am facing goons, and the points get spent way too quick otherwise.

Sj
Steeple_jackuk
Steeple_jackuk
Cosmic Level

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Tue Jan 17 2012, 22:05

Stone Fist thought quickly on his feet as the huge man smiled, popping knuckled and preparing to deliver what he thought would be a thunderous blow against this masked mans' chin.

Instead, the vigilante leapt up... and came down with planted feet onto the walkway in front of the big man!

=========

OOC This is a test of Stone Fists' strength (5) vs the target number of 10+the walkways' steel construction (body 7). You need a total of 18 or more, and every 3 points or part of knocks out a section of walkway. Your rolls came up 3+4... not good. The extra effort point comes up...3! That's a double, and leaves Stone Fist on 4/5 effort points remaining. They come up 1 and 5. The total roll for Stone Fist is 6 + 6 + 5 Strength ... total? 17. Equal to the target number, and therefore a failure (you need to overcome the difficulty by 1 point or more to succeed).

=========

The big German looked at the confused masked man in front of him, and laughed! Stone Fist looked up... and up... at a fist coming down! The man's speed was...

=========

OOC I will assume Stone Fist throws an effort point into defence. He can use his brawling as a defence against melee combat though. The big man is fast, smart and doesn't miss a trick - a real monster! He has 12 combat score, but as a scientist, is no great shakes as a fighter (2 brawling). He puts 1 effort into attack, one into damage. If Stone Fist gets a higher total he avoids the hit, otherwise he takes a pounding! Stone Fist rolls 5 + 5 and the extra effort comes up with an 8. That puts him on 3/5 effort points. The double will get the nod (despite the 8 being a higher roll). Bad guy gets 9 + 3 and the extra effort, 1. His total is 26. Stone Fists double gives him 6+9. His rolled total is 25, plus Combat score, 9, plus 3 from Brawling. Total 37.

=========

With a boxers' skill and hard upbringing on the street as better education than most would ever get, Stone Fist moved aside from the heavy blow... which crashed into the walkway!

=========

OOC Big mans' strength of 7 vs the walkway! Roll of 4+9 means a total of 20 vs the target of 17. BOOM!

=========

Suddenly the fist crashed into the walkway and the big man crashed through the already dented walkway and tumbled to the ground below! He landed with a thud, and Stone Fist looked down from where he stood above at the big man shaking his head and looking up angrily - answer to his self asked question on how the big man could take a fall... very well!

=========

OOC Honours even. Big man is on 8/10 effort, Stone Fist on 3/5. As you might guess he is Power Class 2, more powerful than you guys. teamwork might be the order of the day, or thinking outside the box...
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Steeple_jackuk Tue Jan 17 2012, 22:15

Admin wrote:OOC Honours even. Big man is on 8/10 effort, Stone Fist on 3/5. As you might guess he is Power Class 2, more powerful than you guys. teamwork might be the order of the day, or thinking outside the box...[/i]

Seeing the big brawler meet Stone Fist head on, momentarily distracted Jade Hood. But then seeing him come crashing in and standing up again, made him more than sure that this bruiser was more than either of them could handle alone. Perhaps more than they could handle together!

OOC:

Ok now we know the Nazi's have shown their hands, I'm going to suggest that the our intreped reporter goes gets her friends and a camera to create as much attention as possible as I go to help Stone Fist.

I'm looking about for some out of the box ways of getting this guy to come down to our size. Is this area full of any industrial equipment, handy gas canisters, magnetic cranes or cranes of any kind, steam vents, or heavy industrial tools that can be used to our advantage in some way?

Otherwise I am holding my ground, but keeping myself between the thugs and their boss, providing a focus so that Miss Lamont can get away, as instructed. If the angry Nazi starts to move toward Stone Fist I'll try and make it more difficult by using throwing stars, either to hurt his feet! Or try and blast a convenient fire extinguisher (if such things even exist) full of jet foam at him.

I'm reaching here but I feel a bit unsure as to what I can do, really.

Sj

Steeple_jackuk
Steeple_jackuk
Cosmic Level

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Tue Jan 17 2012, 22:25

Jade Hood moved a short distance (0MP distance, 10 feet, so no penalty) and got stuck into another goon with his nunchucks!

OOC Jade Hood attacks with 11 Combat Score, 5 martial arts vs goons 6 Combat Score, 2 Brawling. Jade Hood gets 7+5 rolled plus 16 for a total of 28. Goons defence (he is using a gun so this is a defence only, even if he gets a higher total he won't do any damage). Goon got 8+5 plus 8 for a total of 21. 7 points difference is 3 accuracy, plus 3 strength and 2 from nunchucks. Less 2 body means 6 damage, leaving the goon on 2 of 8 Health points.

=========

The goon cries out as the swinging nunchucks smack into the goons face. He staggers back and levels his gun with a shaky hand...

=========

OOC Jade Hood uses 3 Acrobatics to add to Combat score for his defence. Goon has 6 Combat score and 2 weaponry, range is zero. Jade Hood gets a total of 8+2, plus 14 means 24 total. Goon gets 1+9, total 10 plus 8, 18 total. Miss.

The goon fires the pistol off, but Jade Hood hops acrobatically to the side and the goon gapes, open mouthed muttering "Ain't possible!" Jade Hood answers that by reaching down to scoop a gas mask out of the ruck sack at the goons feet and pulling it on!

=========

OOC that simple action doesn't require a roll or much effort.

INITIATIVE

Baron Bloot 22
Stone Fist 12
Jade Hood 28
Goons 14
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  DavidMcMahon Tue Jan 17 2012, 22:38

"Well that didn't work," Stone Fist mutters disgustedly. He looks around to see what he can use to fight with, he figures it would be such a close match if they traded blows, the thugs would be able to him down afterwards, assuming he won.

ooc: Looks like I'm going last.
DavidMcMahon
DavidMcMahon
Cosmic Level

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Tue Jan 17 2012, 22:53

OOC our posts crossed Dave but Jade Hood has a gas mask. He goes first with the initiative so you may want to change your action as appropriate. I would have thought fire extinguishers in a place like this would be in the shape of a bucket, probably of water or sand. The roof of this building is a mass of cross beams and such. There IS something along the lines of a chain block/tackle with a hook on the end for lifting and moving about. It looks rusted and would need some effort to get moving, plus it's some 40 feet up. Other options include metal debris from the partially fallen walkway. Scooping up a tommy gun from a fallen goon might be another option... as might giving this bad a taste of his own medicine - though that's not without risk as cracking open one of these nasty grenades will be unpredictable at best...

=========

Baron Bloot rose and looked up at Stone Fist "Little man! Who are you? Some rival from one of the petty gangs that operate in American cities? A lawman? I think not... know that you are interfering with a special experiment, and I will not tolerate any delays from the likes of you!"

He scooped up a section of walkway and tossed it in Stone Fists direction!

==========

OOC Baron Bloot uses 3 effort points, 2 to hit and 1 on damage. That puts him on 5/10. With the nature of play by post meaning a decision can't be made immediately, I'll let you choose after the fact whether to use any effort of your 3/5 remaining. Baron Bloot has no special skill (thrown weapons) to help so his Combat score of 12 is pitched against Stone Fists' defence against distance attacks of 9 (with no skills to add to it, he uses his combat score). Stone Fists defence is 7+9, plus 9 for a total of 25 defence. The Baron rolls 9+7 plus 3+8 from the extra effort. He takes the 9+8 + Combat Score of 12 for a total of 29, less 1 from range for a total of 28. The walkway hits. A thrown weapon uses strength + weight of the object (but the heavier an object, the less the range) which in this case is 3MP (300lbs which falls into the 3 Measurement Point range). Against blunt attacks Stone Fist has 7 Resistance (Body 4 + 3 Toughness) plus a roll of 6+1 total 14. Effect is 1 accuracy, 7 strength and 3 weight plus a roll of 3+7 (total 21), less 14 resistance meaning 7 points of health damage leaving Stone Fist on 10/17 Health Points and 3/5 Energy points. As mentioned, you can spend energy/effort points on boosting your defence and maybe avoid the damage or the hit in the first place, but that's your call. Your move.

NOTE: I screwed up the attack for jade Hood - should have rolled damage. Still getting used to my own system!
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Steeple_jackuk Wed Jan 18 2012, 07:42

Seeing the way the huge goliath lifted and threw the walkway back up at Stone Fist, Jade Hood lost no time in trying to get in the man's face. On the way he grabbed a fire bucket full of sand and as he went in to attack, threw the sand in the Big German's face, before seeking to lay about him with an attack.

OOC:

Ok wasn't entirely sure what I should do, as I know my attacks are going to be pretty puny against this guy. But I am hoping the sand in the face routine, assuming of course the bucket of sand can be reached easily from my position, is a good improvisation technique.

Anyway I will put effort points, where needed into defence as I will get creamed if this guy lays a hand on me. I'm hoping that in being so close to him, the goons won't shoot.

Whilst I face him off I am still looking about for any other means of using the terrain, the building or anything lying about - yes even the gas cannisters, to aid me. I do wonder if using just one, as opposed to them all, might help cut the Baron down to size, (or make him worse!!!).

Also is there such a thing, within these rules as a readied action? The idea that I state what I my moves or attacks will be, delaying my position in initiative if and when they go, but interrupting their move? So I could state that if the Baron throws the walk way at Stone Fist, then I attack with my throwing stars, trying to put off his aim, whilst he cannot defend himself with the walkway hoisted above his head. If the moves as stated do not play out, then the readied action is lost and we move on to the next round? Its just knowing that the Baron was going to throw at Stone Fist, made me want to hold off and time my attack to make the most of his being vulnerable when he'd lifted the walkway?

Sj
Steeple_jackuk
Steeple_jackuk
Cosmic Level

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Wed Jan 18 2012, 12:58

OOC I am testing out and writing rules as we go (got some more to write today). Therefore whatever you want to do or tryout with actions is fine by me, and will be written into the rules. I want to get the basics written up (core mechanic, task resolution, combat) and sent as a PDF for you guys to look over and advise of any unsure areas that need rewriting. An example of the game system is as follows:

2d10 + Ability, Power, Skill as appropriate.

Exceed a target number or another characters' total for success

Every 3 points (or part of) is '1 success' so for example, with the Detective\Clue Analysis skill a character finds a boot print on the floor. The target number to exceed is 16, so 17 or more will be successful. The characters' roll plus total reveals:

Successes Reveals:
1The boots trod in fresh mud an hour ago
2 The mud looks to be from a river bank
3 The colour of the mud is strange, and can only come from the bank near the old Acme Chemical works
4+ The mud is mildly radioactive, and whilst not fatal, could induce sickness and nausea with prolonged contact

With regards delaying, maybe some kind of penalty might apply. There's already a 'penalty die' mechanic in place whereby I roll a d10 and pick your lowest dice (instead of your highest) when you do act. I'll cook something up, but we're kind of limited with the play by post format because you'd delay your action, the bad guy would act, you'd post (probably the next day) I'd post the results of your action, then the Barons' action and we'd be adding delay to the proceedings. However, if you state your main intention in BOLD it will stand out next round and I'll put it into action if you go first with initiative, and we'll try it out.

By the way, rolled damage for your previous hit and you'd have done 2 points less damage, so I'll let it stand as I originally worked it Smile

Need Stone Fist to decide whether to use effort points, then take his action, then will resolve yours.
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Wed Jan 18 2012, 13:02

Admin wrote:However, if you state your main intention in BOLD it will stand out next round and I'll put it into action if you go first with initiative, and we'll try it out.

OOC By the way, with this it'd go something like:

If I win initiative I will delay until the big man is about to attack Stone Fist, then throw a star to put him off.

I would apply a penalty die (which you can cancel out with an effort point) make your roll, then apply the results. Depending on how well the attack was it'd give one or more penalty dice to the Baron who would have to spend effort points to overcome them or suffer a bunch of extra D10 and me (as GM) picking the lowest and crappiest dice to use for the bad guy.
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  DavidMcMahon Wed Jan 18 2012, 13:09

ooc: Not going to dodge. Going to use my three remaining points to attack after the thugs go, since they are also faster than me.

"I call myself Stone Fist," he calls down, after taking the damage. "I'm just a guy who likes to stop guys like you! That's my friend, Jade Fist."

After the thugs attack, I'm going to use my remaining three points. One point to be used to hit, as I jump down and try to strike him with both feet into his body. Two points for damage.
DavidMcMahon
DavidMcMahon
Cosmic Level

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Wed Jan 18 2012, 13:46

Two thugs level guns at Jade Hood whilst the others run to take up a position near their boss, but well away from his fists! They are baffled by what they are seeing, and in truth unsure of whom to shoot at right now!

OOC Attacks against Jade Hood. His Combat Score + Acrobatics is defence against missile attacks (14 total). Each thug has Combat score 6+2 weaponry (firearms). Jade Hood gets 10+9 and 4+5 against the thugs, total 33 and 23. Thug 1 gets 3+6 (total 17, miss) Thug 2 gets 8+6 (total 22, miss).

With gunshots ringing around the place, Lamont squeals in her mask and keeps her head down!

The Nazi laughs "Stone and Jade fist? You Amerikaners make me laugh! You are like ze..."

OOC Hopefully Stone Fist cuts off his monologue.

Bad guys defence is 12 (Combat score) + 2 (brawling as he parries or tries to).

Stone Fists attack is 9 (Combat Score) + 3 (Brawling). Roll for Stone Fist is 3 +7 and 3. Double 3, not great but a double. That comes up with 10 and 5, much better! total 21 + 12 = 33 attack.

Bad guy gets cocky and doesn't bother with effort points. 7 + 1 is his roll, total 22.

11 points difference is 4 accuracy.

Damage is strength (5) plus tough knuckles (1) plus accuracy (4) plus 7+3 rolled, and 10+7 from effort points. POW! We'll go with the double 7 rather than the 10. That comes up with 9+5. Total roll is 28, plus 10 equals 38 effect!

Baron Bloots resistance is Body (5) plus Toughness (4) plus 10+1, total 20. He takes 18 points of damage! With 5 Body and 7 Strength he had 22 Health, now he's on 4/22!

With a TREMENDOUS! impact Stone Fist launches himself off the walkway and thunders his feet into the Germans' head! The ground around splinters and shards fly up as the big man crumples, rolls, and rises on unsteady feet!

"Vat... are you .. vaiting for?" he splutters, blood flowing from the ruins of his nose. "KILL ZEM!" he bellows at his thugs! They ready weapons to perforate the good guys!

OOC Stone Fist is on 0/5 energy and 10/17 health points. Jade Hood is on 12 Health points and 5/5 effort points. Baron Bloot is on 4/22 Health Points and 5/10 effort points. Initiative in melee does not matter. Each combatant simply rolls their totals and compares to the target. If two or more gang up on one guy they might get a 'team attack' bonus which helps. Example: if JH and SF get 24 and 18 totals for their attacks, and BB gets 20, JH hits Baron Bloot, then Baron Bloot hits SF, whilst SF misses. If BB gets a higher total than both he can hit whichever target of the two he likes. If both get higher than Baron Bloot, both hit and the Baron Misses. It's *kind of* a faster way to do combat, like what is used in the tunnels and trolls game. Another way of doing it is add one sides total to another but that would always have the side with more people winning, not always the case in comics!

Anyway, Initiative (IF REQUIRED) is:

Jade Hood 24
Baron Bloot 15
Stone Fist 21
Goons 18

Your moves. The Baron is most definitely rocked!
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Steeple_jackuk Wed Jan 18 2012, 18:07

Admin wrote:
Anyway, Initiative (IF REQUIRED) is:

Jade Hood 24
Baron Bloot 15
Stone Fist 21
Goons 18

Your moves. The Baron is most definitely rocked![/i]

OOC:

Wow Stone Fist did the business. Ok better see if I can't clean up Gotham, I mean New York!

Jade Hood stood momentarily perplexed as he saw his friend wipe the smarmy smile of the Baron's face. But as the goons responded with raised weapons he knew he had to act quickly before the could turn them both into pin cushions.

OOC:

Ok Not sure how many I can attack at once, but I will aim my throwing starts out to hit and hamper the trigger hands of those with guns. I will use whatever effort points are needed to make it happen, but want to make sure that the guys with guns don't get to use them easily. I guess (unless you don't mind it just being narrative) that this would be something like a called shot!

Sj
Steeple_jackuk
Steeple_jackuk
Cosmic Level

Back to top Go down

Post  DavidMcMahon Wed Jan 18 2012, 21:17

ooc: I was rather hoping we would team up agains the Baron because I shot my wad and probably can't do much to him, while you could use a lot of your points to take him down and then take on thugs together but we will do it your way.

"Stone feet too," Stone Fist says blandly after that attack, totally amazed at what he did and the fact that the other guy is standing. He is glad for the burlap bag mask/hood he is wearing. He finds it funny, now, that he is the one wearing the hood but Jade Hood is wearing the mask.

He wades in for a good ole fashion brawl, each man punching away at each other and the toughest one left standing.

[no finesse here, just punch away since I have nothing else to do and hope I can do enough to take him down before he takes me down. And shouldn't there be some kind of minus to attack with range weapons inside a melee or a fair chance of missed bullets hitting a friend?]
DavidMcMahon
DavidMcMahon
Cosmic Level

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Thu Jan 19 2012, 00:30

OOC right on with the penalty for firing into melee. The range for their weapons is 1 point, plus 2 points for effectively having to call their shots, so that's 3 points difficulty modifier AND a penalty die for each. Jade Hood tosses throwing stars... I'd say a couple of effort points might do it, but it's tricky. Let's say he goes for 4 guys with his throwing stars. That's -4 to his attack, and range is 1, so -5 total. With a multi attack it's one roll against the highest defence and resistance (6 and 2 in any case) so we'll see how you go. Combat Score (11) + Martial Arts (5) - 5 (multi attack modifier and range) = 11 plus roll... 10, 8, 3, 9. Great rolls, but no double! 19 rolled for 30 total. Their defence is 8+7 (15) plus 6, 21. That's 3 accuracy. Effect (damage) is 3 (accuracy) plus strength (thrown weapon, 3 in this case), plus 3 (weapon), minus 4 (multi attack modifier) plus 2d10. 4,4 double! 10, 3. 21 rolled, plus 5 for 26 effect. Their resistance against a killing weapon is zero. Roll of 1 + 3. 22 damage apiece! Jade Hood is on 3/5 effort points. because you stated you wanted to disarm I'll apply another -4 to your roll (total 26) which is still leaving 2 accuracy, and all damage simply goes against the weapon instead.

=========

As the goons ready their weapons to open fire on Jade Hood, he finds he has no choice! He tosses a handful of throwing stars that strike with deadly accuracy in the guns of four men! They each sprint for cover clutching shocked hands! The men around them gape in awe and fear, and barely notice the commotion from outside the warehouse...

Was that... a siren?

Stone Fist nodded to his companion - he would have little to worry about from the goons as they scattered for cover and found a better place to hide before opening fire! He'd never seen such accuracy! Well, aside from the blow he'd delivered, but could he finish the Baron off?

OOC this is a straight fight/melee between the two. Roll attack for each, highest wins! The baron uses 2 effort to hit, 2 for damage leaving him on 1/10 effort points. Stone Fist has none remaining, but more health points. Will they be enough? His combat score is 9, brawling 3, total 12. The Barons combat score is 12, Brawling 2, total 14. Stone Fist rolls 9+7 (16) for a total of 28. The Baron rolls 10+1 (11) and 10+8 (18). He picks the two 10s for a double and the follow up roll is 6+2, total roll 28! His attack total is 42! That's 5 accuracy, plus 7 Strength and 7+3, 8+5 rolled. He takes the 7+8 for a total effect of 27. Stone Fist has 4 body and 3 toughness for a resistance of 7 plus 3+3 (6) double! Follow up is 10+9! Stone Fists' resistance is 32! He takes no damage from the Barons ground shaking blow!

The big men fight, the bigger of the two pounding away and getting the better of the smaller man! Despite his size, the big man is inhumanly fast, fights smart, and spots an opening in a flash! Stone Fist grudgingly admits the german is the better fighter - but the best doesn't always win! He shudders as a crack to the jaw shakes him, but shakes it off and stands ready to go again! The German takes a step back... "Nein! It is not possible! Who ARE you?" with a mix of anger and desperation in his voice!

Shouts from outside attract the attention of all conscious in the warehouse!

The goons, having moved further from the madman in the mask and gas mask, look now to the door of the warehouse which is being battered from the outside!

"Who th' hell is that?" shouts one.

"It's the FBI! Open up!" came a shout from outside.

The Baron cursed. "I still hef time to deal wiz you!" he bellowed!

This was it!

=========

OOC initiative (if required. Any in melee act simultaneously. It's to determine if the goons shoot at you or not before you act.)

Jade Hood 18
Stone Fist 25
Baron Bloot 19
Goons 24

=========

Several of the goons take aim at Jade Hood, with Stone Fist obscured by the Barons' huge form!

OOC Distance is 2 now. That means they have Combat Score (6) plus Weaponry (Guns) of 2 less Distance (2). Jade Hoods Defence against missile attacks is Combat Score (11) plus Acrobatics (3) for a total of 14. There are three shots against him. He rolls once, they roll once each. 9+7 rolled for Jade Hood (total defence 30). Goon 1 gets a total of 24, goon 2 gets 11, third one gets double 2 plus 7+2 for a total attack of 19. All miss.

Jade Hood leaps about like a mad thing, impossibly avoiding the shots and ducking for cover when required!

OOC Your move guys. Team up on Bloot, or Jade Hood targeting goons again?
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  DavidMcMahon Thu Jan 19 2012, 00:37

ooc: Um ... did I actually get to try to hit the Baron in the last round and I didn't see the attack?
DavidMcMahon
DavidMcMahon
Cosmic Level

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Thu Jan 19 2012, 00:48

OOC you attacked, he attacked. He got the higher total so his attack got through. That's the system - rather than swing/hit or miss, both throw their all into attack, and highest total comes out on top. He came out on top this time. Doing it this way guarantees fights are always moving - in melee someone will always land a blow, but it represents a flurry of telling blows rather than one swing. Though he landed a blow, your defence took it without damage, so hitting is no guarantee that an opponent will go down! In this coming round, you (Stone Fist) recover 1 effort point. It'll be your attack total vs his. If you want to defend instead, you get a +4 bonus to your attack total but a higher total for you only means he missed, and you cause no damage. If Jade Hood also attacks, you both get +2 bonus for your team attack on the Baron.
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  DavidMcMahon Thu Jan 19 2012, 00:53

Let's hope Jade Hood comes to my aid because I don't believe in fighting fair against someone stronger than me!!!!! Shocked

I'll put my point into damage when I get it.
DavidMcMahon
DavidMcMahon
Cosmic Level

Back to top Go down

Post  Steeple_jackuk Fri Jan 20 2012, 17:57

DavidMcMahon wrote:Let's hope Jade Hood comes to my aid because I don't believe in fighting fair against someone stronger than me!!!!! Shocked

I'll put my point into damage when I get it.

OOC:

Sorry Dave to keep you waiting, again I didn't get an email updating me on this list, so just noticed the replies

Seeing how the goons had tried to pepper him with shots, and also how his friend was fighting for his life against the baron, Jade Hood needed no encouragement to get closer to their boss. Both for cover and to help his friend. If they could take down the Baron, they might be able to sneak out, or even carry off the disguise of being with the others, if they could win.

OOC:

Ok I move up to the Baron, swinging my mightest against him, both going for a effort point if need be to accuracy otherwise all against damage.

Sj
Steeple_jackuk
Steeple_jackuk
Cosmic Level

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Sat Jan 21 2012, 12:00

Jade Hood moved a few metres (actually, I guess it's feet back then) to have the Baron in between him and the goons with guns. Whilst it meant he couldn't blindside the behemoth, he would not run the risk of being perforated either! "Go low!" shouted Stone Fist. "High is mine!" he hissed.

=========

OOC Stone Fist and Jade Hood are making a team attack. A coordinated strike on the same foe at the same time which adds +2 to both characters' accuracy. Stone Fists attack of 12 (CS9+brawl 3) is therefore 14, whilst Jade Hoods' attack of 16 (CS11+Martial Arts 5) is now 18, plus an effort point. Baron Bloot has 14 attack (CS12+Brawling 2). Rolls: 4+9 for Stone Fist, 10,3,9 for Jade Hood, 8+5 for Baron Bloot. Totals are:

Baron Bloot: 27
Stone Fist: 27
Jade Hood: 37

Jade Hood is the only that strikes Baron Bloot, whose efforts are cancelled out by Stone Fists' attack. Stone Fist loses his effort point (he never got to damage his foe) unfortunately. Effect for Jade Hood is 4 accuracy, 3 strength, 2 Nunchucks vs 5 Body and 4 toughness. Roll of 10+7 for Jade Hood, 7+7 for Baron Bloot! Follow up roll is 7+5, total 26 rolled and 35 resistance total. Gonna be tough for Jade Hood to crack that... His total of 26 is some way short!

=========

Jade Hood strikes time and again against the big man - who mostly ignores his blows! Even a shot to that chin brings little response, and the Baron laughs, until he hears one of his goons shout "Boss! Da feds is breakin' in!"

Sure enough, the main doors, barred on the inside, were being rammed by something heavy from outside! The goons looked about, uncertain. "Boss? Whadda we do?"

The German glances at the pair in front of him. "Ve hef a perfectly good reason to be here. Ve are giving ze shelter to zese homeless und feeding zem, but zese two turned up to rob zem. Isn't zat right?" he grinned, then snarled "You hef won zis round, schwein! I suggest you take your victory und celebrate. Zere vill be another time..."

The German started to back away, towards the stairs and the office. The goons moved to the back of the warehouse, which left Jade Hood and Stone Fist with choices.

Continue to battle the Baron, who was wounded and ready to be dropped? There would be his goons to fight, and when the feds broke in, they would be unmasked and hard questions asked! The FBI were notoriously un-supportive of vigilantes!

Lamont, in disguise and gas mask, rushed up "We better scram! I don't know who tipped off the feds, but they are coming in soon! You boys had him on the ropes! the feds? I don't know if they'll be a blessing, or a hindrance..."

The door started to splinter!

There were side doors - barred from the inside - that the pair could escape through. But the Baron! Whatever would they do?

CRASH! CRASH! The door started to bow inwards!

Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 5 of 6 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next