The Vanguard Play by Post Roleplaying Game
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The New Vanguard! Frostbite and Lionheart team up #1

2 posters

Page 2 of 6 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Go down

The New Vanguard! Frostbite and Lionheart team up #1 - Page 2 Empty Re: The New Vanguard! Frostbite and Lionheart team up #1

Post  Admin Mon Jan 28 2019, 23:58

Jarna gave orders for one of the ships to break orbit and moved to the lift to head to the fighter bay.

Frostbite gave word to the ground forces on the planet below who were oblivious to any threat and engaged in the building of habitation and irrigation for a possible long term settlement. Even on such a harsh world, where everything that walked, flew, crawled or slithered wanted to eat you, it was a better option than going stir crazy cooped up on a ship!

As the ship started to rumble away from orbit, crew sprang to their stations. Frostbite did however wonder whether they could stop anything that got past Lionheart...

=========

The energy being gave pause and tipped its head slightly to the side.

It seemed to watch, considering. Space was so... vast... that scale was difficult to comprehend. Only when it was closer did Lionheart realise the being must be thirty feet tall if it stood side by side with him. Dwarfed, but not overawed, communicated mentally with the creature and hoped to come to some amicable arrangement before fists started flying!

The creature simply looked at Lionheart, then it 'spoke' in his mind.

'I comprehend all. It is a function of my being that I bring warning before cataclysm occurs. I am PORTENT.' it said in Lionhearts mind. Lionheart was a powerful mentalist, and yet he knew this creature must come close to matching or even exceeding his ability!

'I journey the depths of space looking for planets to assuage the hunger of my mistress, the all knowing and seeing DEVOURER. She is wise, and restores balance in the universe. Balance upset by the appearance of a rogue planet in this system. Imbalance that has caused ripples in space which if left unchecked will annihilate several neighbouring star systems. I serve to give notice to the inhabitants of this world to flee. I also crush any opposition to my mistress.'

Well, that left Lionheart in little doubt as to his intentions, and yet he had not as yet taken any hostile actions towards Lionheart. Would that be a matter of time or could the hero talk the alien round somehow? Any creature that could operate this far into deep space was not to be taken lightly!

=========

"Launching!" said Jarna and she burst from the launch tubes in a sleek fighter craft, whooping in delight as she saw action for the first time in months!

Following were half a dozen other fighters crewed by clone troops. Their abilities were basic, though they had the capacity to learn. "Tighten up people. Alpha formation. System hope coordinates onto the buoy are in the computer, counting down... mark! Jump now, now, now!"

Behind Lionheart, some 10,000 miles away or so he figured, he strained his eyes to use his telescopic vision as a flash of light marked the in system jump of fighter craft. Unlike the larger mother ships, they could make such jumps easily. The larger ships had to move away from the interference of gravity wells.

Seven fighters, inbound. Oh boy.

Lionheart turned to the alien which looked past him, then started to raise an arm...

The New Vanguard! Frostbite and Lionheart team up #1 - Page 2 Tables_draft_v2_higher_resThe New Vanguard! Frostbite and Lionheart team up #1 - Page 2 Combat-Maneuver-stuff
Admin
Admin
Admin

https://darkeningshadows.darkbb.com

Back to top Go down

The New Vanguard! Frostbite and Lionheart team up #1 - Page 2 Empty Re: The New Vanguard! Frostbite and Lionheart team up #1

Post  Steeple_jackuk Wed Jan 30 2019, 12:45

Admin wrote:

'I journey the depths of space looking for planets to assuage the hunger of my mistress, the all knowing and seeing DEVOURER. She is wise, and restores balance in the universe. Balance upset by the appearance of a rogue planet in this system. Imbalance that has caused ripples in space which if left unchecked will annihilate several neighbouring star systems. I serve to give notice to the inhabitants of this world to flee. I also crush any opposition to my mistress.'

"Well my friend" Lionheart returned, seeking to see if he couldn't dip his toe into this little incident with a smidge of diplomacy before things got out of hand. "We are trying to solve that very problem, perhaps you can help. See we've rescued this planet from its microverse environs, but the people here do not wish to go back there. And yet if they go outside the boundaries of their present location that is exactly what will happen. My friends and I are from this universe, but without transport, we arrived back in, we can't escape our present situation either. So perhaps we can work something out so that balance is restored to all. What say you?"

Something niggled at the back of his head and when he looked back to the fleet he realised what it was, the cavalry was arriving, but not perhaps at the best of times in this delicate stage in negotiations. He had to hope that this would not be seen as provocative after all Portent seemed like the sort of being who could handle himself, but then again he might see red and be off. Lionheart mused, unsure as what was best to do since he was still awaiting a response from the ominous giant.

OOC:Needless to say that when the forces arrive Lionheart will be seeking to get them to stand down, and desist from firing until we've had a turn around the dance hall and seen what Portent makes of our situation.

Sj

Steeple_jackuk
Steeple_jackuk
Cosmic Level

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Thu Jan 31 2019, 16:57

In order to get the ships to stand down while Portent considers his words, Lionheart interposes himself as they close in!

Portent lowers an arm and the fighters peel off, careful even at speed to avoid approaching the buoys that marked the safe limit of the micro threshold.

'My remit is simple. This planet should not be here. As for helping you... you are below my notice. And yet... you are able to survive in outer space, and speak mind to mind.Tell your craft if they wish to survive they need to return to their ships. My mistress is on her way here, but will be some time as yet. You have <thargrinn klektonns> before she arrives.' said Portent.

Lionheart wasn't sure what his brain had translated with regards 'Klektonns' but this creature clearly wasn't going to mess about. Perhaps it needed persuading that the planet should be left alone.

Suddenly Portent turned his head, looking out into the depths of space. 'I will return' it declared.

Then it vanished!

Establishing a mind link with Jarna in one of the fighters, Lionheart heard her speak.

"Well that sure told him! Whoever he was. Well done! We'll turn around but set up patrols in the system." she said. "One of the ships is still on it's way out here. Should we ... wait! Incoming! Sensors just picked up..." she said, shock clear in her voice!

The New Vanguard! Frostbite and Lionheart team up #1 - Page 2 Space-Monsters-I-Gunbuster

What in the...

The creature was as big as anything Lionheart had ever seen. It was... massive. It was almost as big as Earths moon, he guessed! His telescopic vision allowed him to look across the vast distance and try to gauge the size and bulk of the creature. No wonder Portent had taken off! It was moving relatively steadily but there could be no doubt about it.

A giant space monster was heading towards the planet and the fleet!

OOC it never rains...

The New Vanguard! Frostbite and Lionheart team up #1 - Page 2 Tables_draft_v2_higher_resThe New Vanguard! Frostbite and Lionheart team up #1 - Page 2 Combat-Maneuver-stuff
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Steeple_jackuk Sat Feb 02 2019, 16:29

Admin wrote:The creature was as big as anything Lionheart had ever seen.  It was... massive. It was almost as big as Earths moon, he guessed! His telescopic vision allowed him to look across the vast distance and try to gauge the size and bulk of the creature. No wonder Portent had taken off! It was moving relatively steadily but there could be no doubt about it.

A giant space monster was heading towards the planet and the fleet!

OOC it never rains...

Lionheart relayed what he was seeing to the others, so they could get information. Frostbite linked up with Wandafar so that the larger ship scanners could be turned on the creature to see if they could ascertain what they were looking at.

From where Lionheart stood, this creature might be a simple thing - although huge in scale, that simply ploughed its own course through space. For all he knew they were part of a heard...that wasn't such a comforting thought. The idea of a thousand of these swooping through space - might plough a course of destruction. Who knew if the planet and crew had come to a place in space that was previously part of its migration path?

It was useless to speculate, it did no good and was futile until they had facts. His training in the Psicorp had taught him that.

Gently - given the vast scale of the thing, and with some trepidation, Lionheart attempted to reach out with his mind. In the vastness of space, he wondered how a creature might make its intentions known, if it even had intentions and whether his mind could even begin to grasp them, let alone communicate with it.

OOC: Lionheart would be wondering about using things like Mind Probe, or Empathy to try and gage a sense of what its intentions - assuming they're comprehensible, to him. Or and if we can try and communicate across the vast distance.

And that Frostbite/bot from the ship with Jarna would see to find out what he can, where he can, either acting as a relay for Wandafar if there is a boost needed, but seeking to be more than a fifth wheel at the present time.

Sj
Steeple_jackuk
Steeple_jackuk
Cosmic Level

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Tue Feb 05 2019, 15:15

Wandafar muttered over the comms from the mother ship...

OOC Without dredging through the posts the mother ship is about four-five times larger than the other supporting ships, though the small ones are hundreds of metres long.

"Zet creature... scan indicate is is alive, and is capable of greater zen light speed trevel! indeed, if zese scens are correct... it is so vast it not only has it's own gravity but also a thin, breathable atmosphere about it! Why it comes here I cannot guess... unless... unless it means to eat the planet!"

Such a concept was mind boggling! A creature that ate planets! As i came closer Lionheart was struck by the sheer size of the thing!

First a mind probe.... he could sense nothing! That might mean it was simply beyond his ability to comprehend, that the being operated on a scale of consciousness far beyond his own ability to fathom! Perhaps he was just too far away (OOC which is the right answer, he has a range of 2 miles with Empathy)

Next, empathy... he had to get closer... much closer for that. His range on a planet was pretty much line of sight, but in space? Flying as fast as he could swooping about and ready to retreat, he waited for it to come into range... and saw something. Squinting, he used his telescopic vision...

There seemed to be a cloud of something coming from a vent int the creatures side, what looked to be a volcano of sorts, with a cloud spewing out.

He zoomed in. Some kind of gas?

No. Not gas... creatures!

The New Vanguard! Frostbite and Lionheart team up #1 - Page 2 Creature

Like jellyfish, they flew away from the main body spreading out in their thousands and heading not just for him, but the fighters and the oncoming (distant) ship!

He counted... more than he could easily count! There was a veritable cloud of these things, each the size of a house!

It was then the sheer scale of the thing struck him. No matter how powerful he was, how strong, how on earth could he make a dent in such a thing? These... these... antibodies were huge to him, and yet they were smaller than a gnat to the volcano which had spewed them, and that was barely a pimple on this creatures hide!

All of a sudden it seemed that despite all the time they'd spent here, building a base, establishing long term plans, their time was running out!

He watched as the creatures sped up, with energy crackling around each of their tendrils as they pulsed through space!

OOC we're still talking a way away, and you have time yet to formulate a plan!

Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Steeple_jackuk Wed Feb 06 2019, 16:47

Admin wrote:He watched as the creatures sped up, with energy crackling around each of their tendrils as they pulsed through space!
OOC we're still talking a way away, and you have time yet to formulate a plan!

After relaying the information back to Frostbite, Lionheart waited. As much as he could do, could he and the others seriously defeat the oncoming cloud of spore-like creatures, let alone the host which spewed them out?

Meanwhile, Frostbite looked at Jarna his brow furrowed as he then turned and related the information to Wandafar. Then adding "This is looking bad, but we've no idea if this creature is benign or not. Our actions could be misconstrued, but at the same time, such a creature might be beyond our ideas of benevolence. It might simply be out to feed, and doing what it considers normal. What do you think Wandafar?"

As Frostbite waited on his friend's comments, his brain and capabilities not to mention his own space-faring knowledge might yet have a suggestion.

As he waited Lionheart was aware that whatever they did, they'd get to do once and then what?

OOC: Well this is all kind of build up without knowing if its buildup to disaster or build up to the big encounter of a very alien kind. There is a lot we don't know so protocol for first encounter etc seems like a good idea unless we're really in territory that makes that pointless.

My thinking is that the ships pull back and let Lionheart do the 'meet and greet' if it's clear they aren't going to talk but attack, the support ships go in on the attack and start to try and pick them off. Whilst they are at it, I think one thing we can look into is if they are communicating in some fashion so that we might be able to disrupt the 'signal' they use to cause them to lose formation etc.

After that its any bodies guess, if we go into attack, then my concern is that when the big mother comes through she/it isn't going to stop for a few pea shooter size weapons so we'd best see if we've got something bigger. That or I can see something like a fantastic voyage adventure coming up with Lionheart diving into the heart of the thing to try and get to its brain or something...such fun!

Sj
Steeple_jackuk
Steeple_jackuk
Cosmic Level

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Thu Feb 07 2019, 13:47

Wandafar considered what had been said. "It's... possible.. that the creature is benign, or simply wishes to ignore us and feed."

"We must also consider that the appearance of a plenet turning up ver zer vos none before is bound to attract attention. First the giant glowing space geezer Lionheart encountered, zen moments later ze giant space alien thingy. Sometimes I feel like ve are all pawns in some cosmic... game. Zet is ridiculous of course. However. Frostbite, you are ze leader. Therefore I suggest ve hold off on attecking until such time as ze creature shows its intentions." he said over the comms.

Jarna, in the lead attack craft, called out over the line "Are you sure? I'd rather go down fighting than be eaten by... whatever those things are!"

Steph (Reflex) spoke up "Frostbite, we have nuclear grade munitions on ALL our capital vessels. Say the word and we'll move into range and splatter that space thing. Assuming it's not immune to nuclear weapons..."

Lionheart heard the words, then turned. The creature had gathered speed. It's advance cloud of jellyfish like creatures were spreading out now, as if to deflect or distract from any attacks on the host body. Zooming in with his Telescopic vision, Lionheart could now make out more details on the surface of the creature. Hills. Fields, albeit of blue grass. Trees, again blue and... were those birds? Yes, possibly, but they had four wings, a tail and were about the size of a car! There were life forms living on this creatures hide! Chances were it had an atmosphere, and possibly, one humans could breathe!

That gave him an idea. What if... He and his companions were to strike up a deal or agreement to live aboard that creature and use natural resources from its incomprehensible body to craft what they needed to get home? Perhaps even the creature itself might give them a lift!

Closer now. He was watching the Jellyfish close in... One swooped up to him... and nothing. His danger sense did not go off! Instead it seemed to hover, waiting. It dwarfed him, of course.

Tentatively he reached out with his empathy.

OOC Roll(2d10)+0: 5,3,+0 Total:8+ 13 vs TN 11 + int 2 + modifier (alien mind, far removed from Lionheart) +6= 19. Lionheart makes contact. Sort of.

Lionheart reached out. The mind was so far beyond anything he'd encountered it was tricky to discern what passed for emotions. Concentrating, he kept reading. Gently... gently. There!

Fear! Concern! Anguish! Not for itself... but for the leviathan drifting through space at colossal speed towards the planet! He established a link with his telepathy, and instantly got the image of something dark, a creature made of black protoplasm that formed weapons with parts of its body and slashed through pink strands, chords of something... In a cave. The cave rumbled with every strike!

He fell back, mind reeling! It didn't cause him pain, but to connect with an alien mind seemed to cause himself to lose thought of where he was - and that would be fatal in deep space if he took a breath!

He gazed upon the great creature and considered. There was something inside it. Attacking it, harming it. He looked at the jellyfish, and got another mind image. Clouds of them, attacking the dark thing, only to be scythed into nothingness by its vile dark blades! They blasted energy, it was too fast, and beams struck the inside of the creature, causing more tremors. They retreated, only to try again, and again. The creature slew all who came towards it!

Relating his findings to the others over the comms, Wandafar spoke up. "So vat you are saying is zet ze big space moon monster thing has some kind of parasite inside?" He turned to Frostbite. "Zis could be an opportunity. Did you ever recall a story of a lion viz a splinter in its paw?"

The Jellyfish paused at each ship, then flew past, heading towards the planet. The 'mother' creature was now 'only' thousands of miles from Lionheart and making for the planet at high speed.

Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Steeple_jackuk Sat Feb 09 2019, 15:31

Admin wrote:The Jellyfish paused at each ship, then flew past, heading towards the planet. The 'mother' creature was now 'only' thousands of miles from Lionheart and making for the planet at high speed.

Lionheart seeing the speed at which the creature was heading didn't stop and flew straight for it, he figured if there was an atmosphere to breathe he'd be able to breathe it. If he could see what this parasite was, what it consisted of, what it might be stopped by, he'd have to find out or get a sample to Wandafar. Either way, the creature or worse still the thing within that could eventually hollow it out, would then look to reproduce and that meant the whole planet, and not just the creature and its ecosystem was under serious threat.

Meanwhile, Frostbite gave orders as the creatures 'probes' shot past them. "Stand down people, that is an order, let's follow to the planet though. We need to find out if there is any way we can help or and avert any disaster. It might be the small creatures of that spore cloud are acting like some kind of antibodies but searching for help beyond the host. Well, Wandafar would probably have it figured out by now, but since he is not here... let's make best speed for planetfall. We'd best make sure they know what is coming but don't panic. We don't want the colonies to imagine they are under immediate threat. At least until we know otherwise."

It bothered Frostbite that they were tactically laying themselves open to a weaker position. Nuclear warheads fired in close proximity to the planet could cause a heck of a mess, even to that place, primaeval as it was. But right now they had little choice if the creature was acting on instinct to harm it and any sentient life would be as monstrous as the crimes for which they stopped Jones and his empire. Still, it was a gamble and one Frostbite didn't like playing with the people whom he'd somehow inherited as being responsible for. He couldn't ignore the possibility of a way out for them all as well, something they'd waited some time for. Unconventional as it was, this was not the time to look any possibility, however unconventional and strange, in the mouth.

OOC:Ok so Lionheart will try and catch up and make for landfall - looking for where it might be obvious that the parasite has entered, a wound, a blemish or hopefully something that signposts it in some way. Failing that trying his heightened senses to try and locate the thing.

Meanwhile, the others will seek to get ahead toward the planet and alert folk, Frostbite will co-ordinate from just outside the atmosphere to make sure he gets to see what the creature(s) do so he can direct people appropriately.

Sj
Steeple_jackuk
Steeple_jackuk
Cosmic Level

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Wed Feb 13 2019, 21:59

Frostbite took charge and the fleet sprang into action, dispersing away from the path of the giant monster that dwarfed even the mothership!

"I hef been monitoring stuff" said Wandafar in between mouthfulls of food. "Zis thing is I suspect, crazed from pain. it maybe sinks zet creshing into ze plenet may end its misery, or perhaps it hopes to submerge in the atmosphere and hope ze parasite cannot breathe it. Either way, bad news for us. Ve hef, as per your orders, started predicting where it might make a mess und getting as many people as ve cen on transports."

"We're tracking it with the squadron" said Jarna over the comms. "I... it feels like there's not much we can. Wait! Alpha Six, fly closer and lower on that side. Not too close. Train your camera at these coordinates I'm sending you."

Frostbite got fuzzy pictures of the fighter flying low over the planet creature and saw amazing sights. Pools of water, multi coloured trees, hills, mountains, volcanoes... and something else. I giant sink hole from the looks of it, dark save for a tiny pinprick of distant light, leading deep into the creatures core!

Lionheart heard that and circled the creature at high speed. The strange jellyfish seemed to part but he noted some were still following, watching, wary and ready to attack if the host was in danger.

The darkness of the hole beckoned.

The creature was still heading at full tilt for the planet and Lionheart knew that the poor tormented creature would do, try anything to relieve itself of the pain from within. What creature wouldn't? He wondered if it might be possible to communicate with it should he manage to remove the parasite.

Back on the ship Frostbite saw projected paths of the creature and noted the time. Hours. Then it would enter the atmosphere, and from there? Thumping into the ground would create an extinction level event similar to that which wiped out the dinosaurs! Wandafar and everyone, thousands of crew, were still down there and unlikely to get free of the cataclysm!

He might still have to give the order to dissuade the creature with multiple nuclear strikes!

OOC Lionheart to plunge into the darkness, and from there, into the unknown depths?

Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Steeple_jackuk Sat Feb 16 2019, 15:59

Admin wrote:Back on the ship Frostbite saw projected paths of the creature and noted the time. Hours. Then it would enter the atmosphere, and from there? Thumping into the ground would create an extinction level event similar to that which wiped out the dinosaurs! Wandafar and everyone, thousands of crew, were still down there and unlikely to get free of the cataclysm!

He might still have to give the order to dissuade the creature with multiple nuclear strikes!

Frostbite continued to watch to see that things were going as directed whilst he unleashed Frostbot into the computer systems. He instructed his companion, friend, even to look at possible simulations of what would happen if the creature were to hit. What possible alternatives they might provide, from scaring it off with a calculated Nuclear burst to what it would take if the worst case scenario were to be faced.

Meanwhile, he didn't envy the choice that he knew Lionheart would be taking, nor the possibilities that lay ahead in 'helping' to destroy the parasite within. He had to wonder if his freezing powers might help - but if this thing could survive in space, or within such a host... he quickly dismissed it. He was not at all on the same power level as Lionheart, and it was a burden that sadly he wasn't sufficiently capable of bearing with him.

Lionheart meanwhile, wondered about Frostbite's choice, nuclear warheads undoubtedly primed but he knew his friend was no warmonger. He would only deploy them as a last-ditch attempt if all else failed. And that led him back to the stark choice before him. He had medical skills but he was no vet! And when faced with a creature of this size and scale...he dismissed the thought. It was unlikely that the damage he could do would do what the parasite was doing. That itself laid up questions as to what indeed who could make a difference here. But even small viruses can have devastating effects on a host, this need not be different. So his smallness was possibly a factor in his favour. One he hoped would be born out as he realised he was already heading toward the hole, the decision made in a heartbeat the rationale for it coming a little slower behind.

As he dived forward his senses seeking to pick up what they could, he hoped that they'd be enough within what was clearly going to be a difficult environment to work within. Had he breathe to spare, he might have even offered an old battle cry, something like "Geronimoooo".

OOC: Oh, where does the time go, the days of being near a computer a lot is not so frequent these days that I can rattle off a response as quickly as you get them over to me Paul. Still, it does give me chance to think about my response a little more so there is something for it.

Anyway whilst Frostbot runs simulations, Lionheart will clearly take the plunge. If there is a likelihood of gathering breath before going in, he will take a lung full. Force field and senses up and go from there. One thing I am keen to find out is if in close proximity I can detect more, so empathy, Mind problem and post cognition being three to start within once we get closer. But I am also keen to see if we cannot communicate with the host to let him/her/it know on some sort of level what we are attempting to do. I don't want a fight on two fronts, one is enough.

Sj
Steeple_jackuk
Steeple_jackuk
Cosmic Level

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Mon Feb 18 2019, 23:33

Frostbot ran analysis and came back fairly quickly.

"The behaviour of this outlandish creature was strange at first, but makes sense now. It had been infected by a foreign organism for reasons as yet unknown but most probably undesirable to say the least. It's own antibodies and natural defences have failed it and the creature, if such a thing it can be called given its magnitude, is desperately looking for another solution. Flying into the upper atmosphere at speed will superheat the creature and it might think, burn off the organisms. The problem lies if the creature in its pain maddened state comes in at the wrong angle and then cannot escape the planets gravity pull. Should that happen a planet wide cataclysm shall occur when the creature hits the ground, wiping out all life on the planet in a matter of hours and possibly even destroying the planet itself. A similar event happened on Earth millions of years ago it is assumed." said Frostbot.

Great. So a pain maddened creature making a desperate gamble to rid itself of a parasite might destroy the planet below and kill countless billions of living creatures, including his friends!

Frostbite looked at the inky blackness of space to where his friend was. No pressure then, Lionheart...

=========

Lionheart, having scooped up a lungful of air and sped towards the creature, flew low over tree covered valleys and in the shadow of great mountains.

This creature was so large it had its own ecosystem about it, truly a wonder!

Flying lower, he spied the 'sinkhole' of sorts and swooped down into it. Instantly his danger sense flared!

The darkness was absolute. It was as if the walls themselves were absorbing light! Only the pinprick of light far below gave him something to aim at, so dark it was! As the creature moved through space the distant sun shone into the sinkhole and Lionheart narrowed his eyes with a glance at the walls.

They were lumpy. Moving.

Moving?

He slowed, moving closer to the walls to inspect them. They weren't glassy smooth. instead they were lumpy, and formed up of countless spheres stuck to the side of the hole. And the spheres were pulsing, moving...

Not spheres. Eggs.

If this creature were to enter the atmosphere it was possible that some of these 'eggs' would fall away, and the creature he'd seen in his vision would turn the planet below into a charnel house!

There were... too many to count. Thousands. Hundreds of thousands, perhaps even millions of eggs! Despite the risks, Lionheart wondered if the use of nuclear style weapons might indeed be the only way to stop this creature and the horrid parasite living off it!

He continued down into the darkness, his danger sense screaming.

Then he paused again. Looking up, he could see the light from the surface and the sunshine and... something pulling away from the wall. Something shapeless, elastic, and evil...

OOC Lionheart wins initiative. He's about 100 yards down into the hole and figures it goes about a mile down into the creatures core. These 'eggs' look kind of like jet black light absorbing eggs of the same type from the 'Alien' movies...

Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Steeple_jackuk Sat Feb 23 2019, 09:37

Admin wrote:OOC Lionheart wins initiative. He's about 100 yards down into the hole and figures it goes about a mile down into the creatures core. These 'eggs' look kind of like jet black light absorbing eggs of the same type from the 'Alien' movies...

Lionheart knew that if he paused to fight the eggs, here he'd have little chance of getting to the 'heart' of the creature. So speed up diving down as fast as he could so that he could exact whatever needed to be done to the parasite before it could stop him. He had no idea how he'd fair against this thing, its effectiveness might not be down to size but potency, after all, it was sending a planet-sized creature mad with pain - this wasn't the time to stop and ask for directions. Besides which the mad buzzing in his own brain didn't help differentiate the dangers and he wanted to get to where the warning might not distract him. If he was going to have a chance of staying in this game, he had to press on and do so with as clear a head as one could muster given the precarious nature of his present predicament.

OOC: Lets head on down to the belly of the beast. Just to say I am away for the next week, so I will try and reply, but it may be delayed as I am only with my tablet and not my laptop. ;-)

Sj
Steeple_jackuk
Steeple_jackuk
Cosmic Level

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Mon Feb 25 2019, 11:42

OOC noted with the week away. Enjoy!

Lionheart sped on. Light ahead revealed that the tunnel/sinkhole was coated with the black 'eggs'. Every. Square. Inch.

His hearing picked up all sorts of noises. The equivalent of the space creatures heartbeat, the pounding of a pulse of sorts... Everything was on a dramatically larger scale than he was used to dealing with.

Into the 'cavern' with light, and it gave Lionheart pause. This place was VAST! Easily more than a mile cubed and in the middle 'floated' a vast veined pulsing object that looked similar to a brain but which would dwarf many great buildings back on Earth! It was suspended by thick tendrils of cartilage and veins. He looked around further. The walls of the cavern were lined with black eggs.

When they hatched...

About half a mile away he saw movement, and zoomed in with his telescopic vision. The creature was tearing chunks of ... well, flesh... and devouring them with an overextended jaw! it was relentless, and carving chunks up with every razor sharp talons and overlarge hands.

Even as Lionheart watched, he saw the speed of the thing might rival his own... It was covering hundreds of metres in seconds, and every now and again it was spew more eggs from its body! The more it ate, it seemed the bigger it got until it made more eggs. This creature needed to be stopped, before all these... millions... of eggs hatched and devoured this great space creature from within!

The New Vanguard! Frostbite and Lionheart team up #1 - Page 2 Symbiote

Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Steeple_jackuk Mon Mar 04 2019, 20:32

Admin wrote:Even as Lionheart watched, he saw the speed of the thing might rival his own... It was covering hundreds of metres in seconds, and every now and again it was spew more eggs from its body! The more it ate, it seemed the bigger it got until it made more eggs. This creature needed to be stopped, before all these... millions... of eggs hatched and devoured this great space creature from within!

The first thought that hit Lionheart was one of shock, followed by revulsion than a quickening slow beat of anger. This thing was eating its space host from within, like any parasite but this was clearly more than that. It would devour and not stop, it's one purpose to just go on consuming like cancer without ever making a material contribution, but just taking with a clearly insatiable appetite.

Fly at speed to the creature the first thing to do was to find out if it could be stopped, brute force lacked finesse and was his least favoured option, speed also was something to factor in, so it was mind - assuming the thing had one not dominated by its unsatiated appetite.

As he gathered speed he also gathered together that part of his incredible mind that would unleash hidden energy that he really never understood and fleetingly thought again he ought to look into it with Wandafar. He was something powerful combined as he was with his arch enemy. But was he safe? Was he secure? Questions for a time when there was time to investigate such reflections. In other words not now.

As he drew near, coming to within the limits of his range, he pulled up and thought about giving a warning, then imagined what could he say that a beast like this could understand and just let loose instead...

OOC:
Lionheart wants to make a point, firstly to stop this creature before it starts to hatch these things and second to make a definite dent in its abilities - well here goes everything. So let's throw in some HP to accuracy and effect, 3 to each. With Mond Blast focused on hitting this thing with all he's got. Lionheart would not want a protracted battle that would mean further damage - maddening damage to the host.

Sj
Steeple_jackuk
Steeple_jackuk
Cosmic Level

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Tue Mar 05 2019, 13:10

OOC We use HP differently these days as it removes the endless 'bidding' process whereby one side would increase their accuracy, the other the defence, the other spends more on accuracy and so on. Now you buy extra dice, 6HP for 1 extra, 13HP for two, 21HP for three and so on and throw those at the same time as the standard 2D10. So long as the first 2D10 don't register a failure you are free to pick the best two dice from the pile and discard the rest. This way depends far more on luck of the dice but removes the foregone conclusion of having hundreds more HP than your opponent and basically steam rolling over anyone until your HP runs out. This way luck plays a part, and that's the foundation of RPGs mostly. Though I do know of a couple of Diceless games and they... Well, I'll leave that to another time.

From Lionhearts store of 118HP I assume he will spend 13HP for a couple of extra dice (4D10 in total). Lionheart HP 105

Roll(4d10)+0: 9,4,3,3,+0 Total: Oooh here's a tough one. Go for 9+4 or the double 3? I *think* the double three shades it (assuming the follow up roll is 7 or more) but I'll leave that to you. If you are AFK another day I'll update the same time (1300 ish give or take) tomorrow and we'll see how the attack fares.

Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Steeple_jackuk Tue Mar 05 2019, 21:02

Admin wrote:OOC We use HP differently these days as it removes the endless 'bidding' process whereby one side would increase their accuracy, the other the defence, the other spends more on accuracy and so on. Now you buy extra dice, 6HP for 1 extra, 13HP for two, 21HP for three and so on and throw those at the same time as the standard 2D10. So long as the first 2D10 don't register a failure you are free to pick the best two dice from the pile and discard the rest. This way depends far more on luck of the dice but removes the foregone conclusion of having hundreds more HP than your opponent and basically steam rolling over anyone until your HP runs out. This way luck plays a part, and that's the foundation of RPGs mostly. Though I do know of a couple of Diceless games and they... Well, I'll leave that to another time.

From Lionhearts store of 118HP I assume he will spend 13HP for a couple of extra dice (4D10 in total). Lionheart HP 105

Roll(4d10)+0: 9,4,3,3,+0 Total: Oooh here's a tough one. Go for 9+4 or the double 3? I *think* the double three shades it (assuming the follow up roll is 7 or more) but I'll leave that to you. If you are AFK another day I'll update the same time (1300 ish give or take) tomorrow and we'll see how the attack fares.

OOC: I should keep a note of this so I can refer to it, sometimes we're all up in combat and then a while can go by with none, so it's hard to find a post with all this in. Anyway, let's go for the double 3, and see how that fares, I was hoping for some exploding dice, as opposed to an imploding Lionheart ;-)

Sj
Steeple_jackuk
Steeple_jackuk
Cosmic Level

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Tue Mar 05 2019, 21:13

OOC Follow up... Roll(2d10)+0: 6,4,+0 Total:10 + 6 (double) plus Mind Blast 13 vs TN11 + OV 11 (22). +4EV (17) vs Rv 13= 4 RAPs damage

Lionheart roars... and the energy 'lion' leaps from him to engulf the creature!

It seems to shrink somewhat, and howls in pain... then puffs out its chest, shaking off the energy as it dissipates!

OOC While you're on, are you putting your power reserve (13 points) into Force Field (protection), Superspeed (harder to hit) or splitting them or something else? It may effect things...

The New Vanguard! Frostbite and Lionheart team up #1 - Page 2 Lionheart-current

Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Steeple_jackuk Wed Mar 06 2019, 08:31

Admin wrote:OOC Follow up... Roll(2d10)+0: 6,4,+0 Total:10 + 6 (double) plus Mind Blast 13 vs TN11 + OV 11 (22). +4EV (17) vs Rv 13= 4 RAPs damage

OOC While you're on, are you putting your power reserve (13 points) into Force Field (protection), Superspeed (harder to hit) or splitting them or something else? It may effect things...[/color]

OOC: I think speed as that works well for me best, forcefield might be what I switch to if speed lets me down.

Although it was difficult to tell, clearly the creature did have some sort of mind and was affected by what Lionheart did. Although it was hard to tell and indeed Lionheart might have just succeeded in getting it angry. Speed was one of his greatest assets and so he brought his focus back to the moment, readying himself for the creatures attack, depending on his speed to be dependable in whatever return the creature made.

OOC: Ok with speed to the max, I am going to want to keep trying to mind blast it so as to keep my distance and hopefully try to minimise the damage it can do to me if it tries to close in. Then again it may have a ranged attack, like me, and staying out might be playing to its advantage. IN which case I might need to go in close...all depends on what happens next. I'm not liking the look of its razor-sharp appendages though, close might be too close for comfort - at that point might be where I need to buff my force field if speed proves to be lacking

Sj
Steeple_jackuk
Steeple_jackuk
Cosmic Level

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Sat Mar 09 2019, 07:25

Lionheart moves with astonishing speed, far faster than the eye can follow...

And even this creature, with its obviously superhuman speed, seems slow in comparison. He feels fairly confident that he can avoid those nasty looking claws.

The creature seems to consider for a heartbeat, then its eyes widen and it launches its own Mental Attack on the Vanguardian!

OOC I'm assuming Mind Field is up (no reason for it not to be)

Roll(2d10)+0: 7,7,+0 Total:14 DOUBLE plus Roll(2d10)+0: 1,6,+0 Total:21 + Mind Blast 18 (39) vs TN11 + Int 10 + Critical Blow +4 (25). +5 EV (23) vs RV 20 = 3 RAPs.

Lionheart staggers as a mental attack that would overpower even his own strikes him, causing him to stagger somewhat!

OOC Absorb the damage (6HP cost) or take it on the chin (You have 13 Mind, would drop you to 10/13). You may want to adjust your tactics or go for your own 'critical blow' to make a dent in this thing... You're up.

Oh, and apologies for the delay. Had a few horrible days at work including one yesterday where I had to check if I'd hit someone with my train Sad Absolute pandemonium at Newcastle. Trains cancelled thousands of people hanging about. The sad part of my job.

Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Steeple_jackuk Sat Mar 09 2019, 13:41

Admin wrote:

Oh, and apologies for the delay. Had a few horrible days at work including one yesterday where I had to check if I'd hit someone with my train Sad Absolute pandemonium at Newcastle. Trains cancelled thousands of people hanging about. The sad part of my job.

OOC: Oh, Paul, this sounds awful mate, probably one of the worst things to deal with. I am so sorry and I can imagine how awful the whole situation is. I've known at least one person who tried this twice succeeding the second time. I've always thought about how someone in your situation deals with this when you are unwittingly and unwillingly drawn into such a terrible moment with someone seeking to end their life in this way. On the one hand, I realise I am not in much of a position to directly help, but please take all the time you need.

Admin wrote:
Lionheart staggers as a mental attack that would overpower even his own strikes him, causing him to stagger somewhat!

OOC Absorb the damage (6HP cost) or take it on the chin (You have 13 Mind, would drop you to 10/13). You may want to adjust your tactics or go for your own 'critical blow' to make a dent in this thing... You're up.

Lionheart hadn't expected that but still, instinctively he reacted, speed being the very thing that along with his acute mental prowess often gave him the edge. But would that edge prove to be enough this time?

OOC:Yes go for absorbing the damage via HP and then critical hit back, see if I can overwhelm its mental defences - clearly not dealing with an ignorant creature as such, unless it can mimic my powers or those thrown at it? I won't throw in HP unless you think it wise, I want to hold on to my pool in case things start to get desperate.

Sj
Steeple_jackuk
Steeple_jackuk
Cosmic Level

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Tue Mar 12 2019, 13:10

OOC Despite having a not great time (and a 13 hour shift to boot) on Friday I think I was more riled/upset when a friends wife somewhat belittled the day I've had with the declaration that her husband had been through far worse. Ah yes, that's because he was in the army and paid to shoot people.

Predictably I bit, gave her a piece of my mind and came off looking like the bad guy as she burst into tears and had to apologise later.

In life, we all have to deal with various unpleasantness from time to time. No one knows how they'll react when it happens. All i can say is that I did was I was supposed to do with regards the job and dealing with the police and would do again. There are, however, people out there who really can't deal with anything like that and I met one on friday when it was all going on. The term 'snowflake' comes up a lot but looking beyond that there may be something that triggers some unpleasantness in their past, so I'm not quick to judge. That said, I'm fairly certain this won't be the only time I have to deal with suicide in my line of work, and each time I'll learn a bit better how to cope.

On with the show.

LIONHEART HP 99

Though the mental attack by the creature was probably the most powerful he'd ever experienced, Lionheart was sure it would take more than that to stop him from putting this creature out of commission! He struck back, blasting with his mental powers to strike back at the beast!

OOC When going for a critical blow you are making it harder for yourself in terms of hitting. With that in mind I would suggest buying at least 1 extra die to roll (cost 6HP) to improve your chances of success. Extra dice don't always guarantee success but they sure do help, especially with the way your dice have gone over the years! (More so when we played Golden Heroes I think).

LIONHEART HP 93

Roll(3d10)+0: 8,8,10,+0 Total: 16 DOUBLE shows what I know. that 10, whilst great, pales in comparison to the first two dice you rolled. Oh well, an 18 would have been good, a double 8 better! Roll(2d10)+0:
4,1,+0 Total:5 Ugh, total 21 + Mind Blast 13 (34) vs TN 11 + OV11 + Crit Blow +4 (26) = +4EV. 17EV vs RV13 -6 (Crit blow) = 10 RAPs damage

This time Lionheart struck deep at the creature, which howled and clutched its head!

He thought it might run, and he was ready to give chase...

Instead it splayed out its fingers which shot outwards like web strands in all directions.. to punch through the 'eggs' all around it and on the floor! Vile orange/yellow ichor spewed out from hundreds of eggs, each having been impaled by a finger strand as they stretched from one to the next. Lionheart gaped in horror as the strands pulsed and the creature straightened up. He realised it had destroyed its own eggs, a good proportion in this cavern at any rate, to instantly heal itself!

With thousands of eggs inside these caverns... Lionheart knew this creature could heal itself faster than he could hurt it!

OOC Lionheart is up again. The creature used its dice action (attack) to heal itself and is on full body/mind/Spirit

Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Steeple_jackuk Wed Mar 13 2019, 20:15

Admin wrote:With thousands of eggs inside these caverns... Lionheart knew this creature could heal itself faster than he could hurt it!

OOC Lionheart is up again. The creature used its dice action (attack) to heal itself and is on full body/mind/Spirit

OOC: Oh boy

Lionheart was aware that the creature, had an unlimited supply of healing, or rather enough to see off his efforts. Perhaps a direct approach would be the only way forward. Strengthening his force shield, he took on a grim look.

"If that's the way you want to play..." Lionheart knew that the only possible way to end this was to take the creature away from that which gave it unlimited health. He had to take the creature from its 'home' advantage. This, he knew would get ugly.

OOC: OK so force field up, going to go in, try and prize this thing off its perch and try to get it out and about into space. I need to get it to a place where I'm not fighting with one arm tied behind my back.

Sj

Steeple_jackuk
Steeple_jackuk
Cosmic Level

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Fri Mar 15 2019, 09:16

OOC sorry, should have gotten near a computer before now but you know how it is (long days, get home, bed, go back to work etc).

How is Lionheart going to get this creature away from it's 'lair'? Are we talking physically grabbing it and dragging it out into space, or telekinetically, or via some other means?

Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Steeple_jackuk Fri Mar 15 2019, 20:02

Admin wrote:OOC sorry, should have gotten near a computer before now but you know how it is (long days, get home, bed, go back to work etc).

How is Lionheart going to get this creature away from it's 'lair'? Are we talking physically grabbing it and dragging it out into space, or telekinetically, or via some other means?

No worries mate, in the first instance yes Telekinesis and using power reserve if need be. If that fails then year looking like we'll have to get our hands dirty and handle the wee beastie.

Sj
Steeple_jackuk
Steeple_jackuk
Cosmic Level

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Sat Mar 16 2019, 07:19

OOC Probably should have explained myself a bit better...

Your telekinesis is pretty low (7) UNLESS you pour your power reserve into it (13 points, at which point its 20 APs, far better). If you do that you lose points from your superspeed and that makes yous easier to hit. It won't be an issue if you can keep this thing away from you but as you know it can stretch...

The New Vanguard! Frostbite and Lionheart team up #1 - Page 2 Lionheart-current

Power reserve works pretty much Ultra Boy from the legion used to work back in the day. He switched from one power to another. It was very powerful, but limited. Lionheart isn't that limited (you should have seen Ultra Boys stats pre crisis though, something like 44 Strength... and the best Lionheart can manage is about 25) so you just need to know what it is you're actually letting yourself in for. Your options as I see them...

1) Superspeed powered up, grab the bad guy and fly into space
2) power up telekinesis and risk being attacked with much lower Dex/Superspeed
3) keep superspeed high and miss (quite frankly) with 7 telekinesis
4) split the points between superspeed and tk and hope that a) you hit and b) you don't get hit
5) spend loads of hp and hope for a great roll regardless of what youo do. You can combine this option with some of the others if you so wish!

I could have literally taken your post as was, dropped superspeed, attacked with TK and see how you got on, but thought it best to advise/remind that power reserve is a special power pool of points that adds to a limited number of abilities as you see fit. In this case, boost TK at the expense of probably being much easier to hit! Your call...

Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 6 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next