The Vanguard Play by Post Roleplaying Game
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

World War Weird - Frostbite Issue #3 'Stranger in a strange land'

3 posters

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

World War Weird - Frostbite Issue #3 'Stranger in a strange land' Empty World War Weird - Frostbite Issue #3 'Stranger in a strange land'

Post  Admin Thu Nov 10 2011, 10:51

OOC Switching from the 'Odin' thread for Frostbite...

With his farewells (for now) said to Silver Sentinel and the others, Frostbite floated in the air and looked about. How on earth would he summon the dragon? With a shout he bellowed the Dragons name... "Raspendarr!!!"

In moments he felt rather than heard the creature approaching in the sky, great flaps of those huge wings sending it through the air and defying the laws of physics.

"No need to shout." hissed the Dragon as it slowed to a hover. "You have my true name. No other shall be able to use it, and when you ... leave ... I shall change my true name to restore my honour. What is it you want... master?" it asked, adding the last word reluctantly, though Frostbite could tell there was respect there. Evil it may be, but the Dragon knew it's better and would not betray him. Directly.

Frostbite sighed. A stranger in a strange land, out of his own time and with a dark brooding power within that threatened to run riot with devastating consequences, separated from everyone he knew and loved, hunted by a government in his own time and struggling to make his way in the world both personally and as a hero. Now this? Transported to some pseudo medieval world where magic was real and creatures of myth existed, where forces of Darkness threatened to spill over into his world and bring a new age of desolation to make the Nazis look like choir boys? Just another day in the life of...

World War Weird - Frostbite Issue #3 'Stranger in a strange land' Frostbite_logo

He climbed onto the back of the nervous dragon who muttered "This is embarrassing" before adding "Where would you like to go... master...?"

Frostbite indicated his preference and the Dragon took flight, gaining altitude and spreading the land out below Frostbite. It was a beautiful place, but deadly even to the wary...

=========

As the forest passed below, a see of endless green, the Dragon cocked its head to one side...

"You hear that?" it rasped. "No, of course you don't" it added with a sigh. "A call for help."

They'd been flying for half an hour at about twice the speed Frostbite could manage and the Dragon seemed tireless, effortlessly soaring above the forest.

"Do you wish to continue on to the city or investigate... Master?"
Admin
Admin
Admin

https://darkeningshadows.darkbb.com

Back to top Go down

World War Weird - Frostbite Issue #3 'Stranger in a strange land' Empty Re: World War Weird - Frostbite Issue #3 'Stranger in a strange land'

Post  Steeple_jackuk Thu Nov 10 2011, 18:26

Admin wrote:"You hear that?" it rasped. "No, of course you don't" it added with a sigh. "A call for help."

They'd been flying for half an hour at about twice the speed Frostbite could manage and the Dragon seemed tireless, effortlessly soaring above the forest.

"Do you wish to continue on to the city or investigate... Master?"

"Hmm, could be a trap of course. But I guess we'll never know unless we check. Stay here I'll go look, be on the look out, though I doubt I'll need you but you might want to share in the fun, if there is any."

Frostbite said with a note of forced arrogance. He realised the Dragon responded to strength, so had to play up that side of things as much as the posturing wasn't his style.

Diving off Raspendarr's back, Frostbite let the wind whip past him as he dropped like a stone before soaring up again, over the forest canopy then lower through the canopy as his intangible form passed through it ghost like. And he sped down toward, who knew what.

OOC:

Ok remain intangible, take a look around but try not to alert whatever is here to my presence, unless they're on the look out already. Given my dress, I guess I could make out that I am some ghostly presence that haunts this part of the wood. Just a thought if I want to keep my identity and powers a surprise until I am ready to use them when I know what I face.

Sj
Steeple_jackuk
Steeple_jackuk
Cosmic Level

Back to top Go down

World War Weird - Frostbite Issue #3 'Stranger in a strange land' Empty Re: World War Weird - Frostbite Issue #3 'Stranger in a strange land'

Post  Admin Thu Nov 10 2011, 19:45

Frostbite sped down through the canopy of the trees. It was now dark and only the strangely silent (OOC his computer is 'elsewhere', helping Guillotine out I believe with Lionheart? Or with Spartan maybe. Will check.) glowing chestplate illuminated the pitch darkness of the forest. Fireflies the size of a mans fists zipped about, and strange sounds echoed through the gloom. Frostbite could have sworn the treas moved in an unnatural way, and lichen grew over the roots, choking and smothering them in the quest for light and dominance over the forest floor.

With a frown, Frostbite looked about. Then he heard it again.

"Help."

The voice sounded strange. It was as if it'd been put through a synthesizer from Joe Rigdons' own time to sound robotic, metallic somehow. He parted some drooping vines, only for his hand to move through them, and passed into a small clearing. The floor was stone in places, and the ruins of collapsed walls had long been overgrown. There he found a strange sight. A statue, carved from what appeared to be crystal and bearing the most amazing lifelike features - of a warrior in plate mail - was frozen in place on his knees clutching what appeared to be a crystal sword jutting from his chest. Vines and weeds had grown around and on the statues body and the crystal was tarnished in places by green sludge. The body was translucent showing the forest floor behind it. The workmanship was remarkable though.

"Help." came the voice again. It was quiet and had required the supernatural senses of a Dragon to hear it.

The voice had come from the statue, though its mouth had never moved.
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Steeple_jackuk Thu Nov 10 2011, 22:03

Admin wrote:"Help." came the voice again. It was quiet and had required the supernatural senses of a Dragon to hear it.

The voice had come from the statue, though its mouth had never moved.

Moving forward cautiously, more out of habit than any real need to be overly worried, Frostbite drifted toward the statue. He stopped and circled around still floating and remaining intangible until he knew what he was dealing with here.

"A talking Statue, well I never! Why does a statue need help?" He said curiously looking for clues as to what was going on here.

Sj
Steeple_jackuk
Steeple_jackuk
Cosmic Level

Back to top Go down

Post  DavidMcMahon Thu Nov 10 2011, 22:47

ooc: Anyman is trying to send Frostbite a mental communication over on his thread. Just a heads up.
DavidMcMahon
DavidMcMahon
Cosmic Level

Back to top Go down

Post  Steeple_jackuk Fri Nov 11 2011, 07:14

DavidMcMahon wrote:ooc: Anyman is trying to send Frostbite a mental communication over on his thread. Just a heads up.

OOC:replied via the sticky...

Sj
Steeple_jackuk
Steeple_jackuk
Cosmic Level

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Fri Nov 11 2011, 23:02

Without the mouth moving, the statue 'spoke' anyway. "I have a sword jutting from my chest." it said, voice sounding like the tinkle of shards of glass tumbling on stone. "If you pull it out, I will be restored to life...". The sword was indeed jutting from the statues chest, with both of the statues hands curled around the blade just beneath the hilt as if making a desperate attempt to push the blade away before it entered the chest. As with the statue itself, the blade was made of crystal, a beautifully crafted multi faceted thing that would not have looked out of place in fairy tales!

"Are you going to stand there or... wait. You are a ghost, are you not?" enquired the statue.
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Steeple_jackuk Sat Nov 12 2011, 07:45

Admin wrote:Without the mouth moving, the statue 'spoke' anyway. "I have a sword jutting from my chest." it said, voice sounding like the tinkle of shards of glass tumbling on stone. "If you pull it out, I will be restored to life...". The sword was indeed jutting from the statues chest, with both of the statues hands curled around the blade just beneath the hilt as if making a desperate attempt to push the blade away before it entered the chest. As with the statue itself, the blade was made of crystal, a beautifully crafted multi faceted thing that would not have looked out of place in fairy tales!

"Are you going to stand there or... wait. You are a ghost, are you not?" enquired the statue.

Frostbite decided it was worth waiting to find out a little more before pulling a sword from a potential enemy. "I might be, but that doesn't mean I might not be of some use. But tell me, how is it that you still speak though you are a statue, how does one stab a statue and yet that statue complains about it. What and who got you into this predicament? For I am not sure if I should remove the sword, if it is their justly and you are receiving your due punishment for that which Justice demands"

OOC:

Sorry bit slow, but I don't think I can just pull out a sword from a talking statue, if that is what he really is, without knowing if he is friend of foe. All the while he talks I am trying to ascertain motives, is he lying (if one can determine such a thing from a statue) or is there any inconsistency in this tale.

Assuming that what he says sounds credible I'll pull out the sword. But before I do, I'll also make sure that before I drop my intangibility that this isn't a trap, of some kind.

I was inclined to pull the sword out anyway, its my curse to want to keep things moving and not slow down for back and forth dialogue like this. But I've decided to ask questions first, this time. ;-)

Sj
Steeple_jackuk
Steeple_jackuk
Cosmic Level

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Sun Nov 13 2011, 22:44

The statue paused for a moment. "If you are a ghost, then you are of no use to me! Begone spirit!" barked the statue with some annoyance.

When Frostbite stayed, the statue seemed to sigh. "No. Wait. I have been here so long, watching the seasons change in this forest, the trees grow from saplings near my knees to towering overhead... perhaps hearing my tail might touch a chord in you spirit, and you would send aid for me?"

"In truth I sought to trap you. The sword is cursed. I drew it from a statue like myself, freeing the unfortunate from their magical crystal prison, and the blade turned on me, plunging into my own chest. I... I sought to help the person who was trapped, and became trapped myself. Now I exist, ageless, immortal, in a crystal prison of my own making. The sword is an artifact crafted by a witch who lives deep in this forest. The former statue told me - before he left me here - that he was a Paladin, come to slay the witch for her wicked ways, only to be seduced by the gift of a magical sword of crystal as a gift in order that he spare the Witches' life. The witch told him a magick word to activate the blade, but made the knight promise not to trigger the enchantment until he was well away from her hovel, for fear the blade would strike down her evil. So overcome with greed was the Paladin at having such a holy artifact as a weapon that he readily accepted, and pulled the blade free of the scabbard after saying the word."

"Then the sword turned on him!"

"I came across him an age ago, and unwittingly freed him. He swore that he would seek out the witch to find the command of unmaking, but time and his prison changed his mind. He was Paladin no longer. I believe he turned from the forest and walked out into the world without giving me another thought. I counted leaves on trees, watched animals flit about, anything to keep myself from going mad but... here I am, talking to an outlandish looking ghost. Go spirit, and forget you saw me. Mayhap some hapless soul will pull the sword from my chest and free me, but they in turn would become a prisoner. Only the witches' word of unmaking can release the curse, but she must be dead by now, or ancient... Go!"

OOC The sword can be readily pulled from the statue, but not (thinks the statue) by a ghost, Of course, you're not a ghost, at least not all of the time... As for his story, that's up to you to believe or otherwise, but you might find allies in the most unlikely of places...
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Steeple_jackuk Mon Nov 14 2011, 13:59

Admin wrote:OOC The sword can be readily pulled from the statue, but not (thinks the statue) by a ghost, Of course, you're not a ghost, at least not all of the time... As for his story, that's up to you to believe or otherwise, but you might find allies in the most unlikely of places...

"Your tale is a sorry one, at no mistake. But just as you are not all you seem, so to am not I!" With that Frostbite phased back into reality allowing his form to become solid once again.

"Now let us see if we can free you from your enchantment. Since you are a Statue, I hardly think this will hurt." With that Frostbite concentrated freezing the hilt of the sword encasing it with hard thick ice, that Frostbite hoped would protect him from the effects of the sword turning on him, and then be able to pull it free.

But just to be safe, he also alerted the ever vigilant shadow companion within him.

Grasping the sword, Frostbite pulled, "Get ready for life, friend. But if this is a trick, know you have met one who will easily be your match!"

OOC:

ok hopefully with the Sword 'insulated' I can pull it free without harm to me. Assuming this is the case I will hold onto it for now, so that I can be got rid of in such a way as to cause no further harm.

If however the sword proves to be troublesome and want to harm me, then I will fight it tooth and nail and make sure that if need be Dark Power will come to my aid.

Sj
Steeple_jackuk
Steeple_jackuk
Cosmic Level

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Mon Nov 14 2011, 22:10

OOC that's a novel solution to the problem. Wondered what you'd do about this and expected you to toddle off and find the witch. So without further ado...

Careful to create a block of superhard ice around the hilt of the sword, ensuring his own hand didn't come into contact with the deadly cursed blade, Frostbite pulled it clear. The statue seemed to sigh, then before Frostbites eyes gained colour and depth, becoming a warrior in plate mail armour and in all respects, a real, living person. He immediately collapsed forward, then rose on weak muscles that hadn't moved in decades!

"Gods... you.. you freed me!" he gasped, probing his chest and arms with hands that shook. He looked up, fearful then, at the crystal blade and the hilt encased in thick ice. "Keep that accursed thing away! All who touch its blade are transformed into crystal by its magic!" he cried, stumbling back. When coming up against a tree, he paused, then sighed. "My apologies, sir knight. Though your appearance is strange to me your actions mark you as a knight of honour, and I am indebted to you. Tell me though, whence did you come and what age are we in? I lost count of the endless passing of the seasons, and the reality is that all those I knew are long gone. I am a man out of time!"

Frostbite wasn't sure what to tell the fellow - he was a stranger in this land himself, and rather than tell him wrong information, told him the truth that he didn't know.

"No matter." sighed the warrior, rising on shaky legs. "I shall travel to the nearest town and seek shelter, and there to consider my next move. But..." he paused, considering. "I think, a gift. I was a warrior of note, a man of impeccable honour and morals, but I fear that was left behind in the madness that threatened to engulf me. No paladin was I though my deeds were spoken of far and wide as being just. That, I fear, was another man. Maybe I can go some way to being that man again. Here." he said, pulling a ring from his finger. "A gift. This is a magick item. A ring of regeneration. If you are badly injured it will restore you to health, though not from death. The process will leave you weakened but better that than severed limbs or spurting blood!"

OOC If Frostbite chooses to take the ring, I'll note it on his character sheet. It works like this: whenever you use the ring, decide how much you want to heal. This is a number from 1 upwards. I'll then roll 1d6 per point you decide (so if you decide 2 points, it's 2D6). You will lose that many HTC but recover twice as many (x2) HTK points. Say you are injured for 30htk. You use the ring for 4 points (4D6) and roll 20. You lose 20 htc but recover 40Htk (or up to your maximum). HTC heals much faster than HTK anyway, so it'd be a minor inconvenience. Obviously, if you have no HTC left it's of no use. You'll have to decide if you want to keep the crystal sword or dispose of it, but it's too dangerous to simply leave lying around. Once you'd made that decision, decide whether you wish to investigate this witch or press on.
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Steeple_jackuk Tue Nov 15 2011, 11:06

Admin wrote:OOC that's a novel solution to the problem. Wondered what you'd do about this and expected you to toddle off and find the witch. So without further ado...

OOC: And that just goes to show how often what as DM's we think and what as Players we think or expect or assume can be poles apart. I had assumed you wanted to me to take the sword and free the guy. I hadn't for a moment picked up on the Witch, whom you indicated might well be dead now anyway! But now you've revealed that she might well be about...hmm

"A gift. This is a magick item. A ring of regeneration. If you are badly injured it will restore you to health, though not from death. The process will leave you weakened but better that than severed limbs or spurting blood!"

Frostbite held out his hand, though within him he realised that limitations were only too evident in that the man himself suffered despite having the ring. But still in a world filled with swords and Dragons any protection was welcome.

"Thank you, I wish you well. Perhaps we'll meet again. You might as well know that the name by which people often known me, I'm Frostbite. I wish you well sir, for this land has need of men of honour like your goodself. Now as to this sword, I must make sure it doesn't fall into the wrong hands. I'll need to consider if this Witch, you spoke off, is truly dead and perhaps search for the means to rid this world of this wicked weapon."

Frostbite thought long and hard, in so doing did he threaten their chances to get ahead of Elesieth and the others. Could he afford the time for another distraction?

OOC:

1. Ok if the witch's place is close Frostbite will endeavour to go there.
2. If however its likely to be some journey then he'll pass, take the weapon and throw it into the nearest lake or volcano we can come across or else encase it in ice and strap it to his back for now, too keep it from doing further harm.
3. In any case I am mindful of the time and do not wish Frostbite to get delayed by days, and hour or so will be ok, so I'll weigh up what to do based on what I know and then act accordingly.

Sj
Steeple_jackuk
Steeple_jackuk
Cosmic Level

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Tue Nov 15 2011, 19:43

OOC will update the character sheet with the ring. It's something that might also be useful to a certain other member of your party who's body is fighting the ravages of radiation at the minute and cannot heal HTK for himself...

"I am Drake Longthorn. Warrior. Or I was. Now?" he looked about. "I was a man tricked into helping what I thought to be an honourable warrior and imprisoned in a small copse of woods. The woods became a forest, and the world changed. Now?" he shrugged. "We will see which way the winds of fate blow me. Fare thee well noble stranger. Be careful not to touch the hilt of that thrice damned sword!"

He looked about. "Judging by the position of the last embers of the setting sun, North is... that way. If you travel..." he looked about, thinking hard. "There... that way... you will come across a small hill. Half way up the side is the witches' cottage and grounds, if the Paladin who trapped me spoke truth."

He gathered what possessions he still had - those that had been transformed into crystal with the rest of him - and set off into the woods. Frostbite watched him go and flew upwards, still holding the ice encased weapon in his hand.

=========

Minutes later he saw the run down ruin of the cottage the warrior had described...

As he landed outside, he looked about warily. Intangible, making use of his best defence, he saw the half collapsed walls, the fire torched roof having collapsed inwards and plants growing in the general ruins. He was about to leave, having ascertained the place was no longer occupied, when he heard a voice from within.

"What is it now?" came the withered sound of an old woman. "You burn me out of my home, stake me out to die and drown me... though you failed you've come back to finish the job even after all these decades? Ha! Some Paladin! Where is the forgiveness? I paid for my sins and lust for power when the witch, Morgana, drained my power! She changed her colours, becoming the good queen and all forget her wicked past. But for me, Bethnedarr? There is no forgiveness... Leave me in peace, whoever you a.... a spirit?"

Frostbite looked down at himself, then shrugged.

"And what's that you... Aiiieeeeee! Keep the sword away! I paid the price for betraying you!"

Frostbite heard the sound of someone scrambling over rocks and broken furniture inside the cottage. The witch was obviously broken and of little danger now, but the word of power to cancel the magick spell on the sword might still be useful. The sword was a powerful artifact indeed if able to keep someone alive but frozen in the form of...

Frostbite stopped.

The sword! It could - inadvertently - upset the balance of power back to Good Queen Morgana in this world! If her evil counterpart was killed, the magic of the Grail would conjure up another to right the balance between good and evil. But if she wasn't killed, merely immobilised, immortal, as a crystal statue... would that mean that the Grail magick would not then find a reason to right the balance of good and evil? If only it weren't so dangerous! He looked nervously at the weapon and saw the melting ice...
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Steeple_jackuk Tue Nov 15 2011, 21:42

Admin wrote:
Frostbite stopped.

The sword! It could - inadvertently - upset the balance of power back to Good Queen Morgana in this world! If her evil counterpart was killed, the magic of the Grail would conjure up another to right the balance between good and evil. But if she wasn't killed, merely immobilised, immortal, as a crystal statue... would that mean that the Grail magick would not then find a reason to right the balance of good and evil? If only it weren't so dangerous! He looked nervously at the weapon and saw the melting ice...

Firstly taking the weapon carefully he made sure that the hilt and sword remained encased in ice once again. Before placing the sword back and acting in a non threatening way.

"Dear lady, I mean you no harm. Had I wished to do so, I wouldn't be standing here I can assure you." Frostbite looked about, seeking to see if his tone, his demeanour and his actions might help reassure the woman.

"I am here to right a terrible wrong and I need you help. Then I will leave you in peace."

Frostbite waited, seeking to see if the Witch would respond.

OOC:

1. Ok I will look to see if the witch responds positively and then act accordingly.
2. Should the witch need reassurance then I will try to give it to her.
3. If however she is quiet stubborn about things I will have to take steps to go to her, I won't be threatening but I will make it clear that my patience cannot be trifled with. Now which would you prefer sort of thing.

Sj
Steeple_jackuk
Steeple_jackuk
Cosmic Level

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Wed Nov 16 2011, 17:14

"Dear lady?" cackled a voice getting louder. Finally a wizened old crone stepped from the ruins of the cottage to behold Frostbite with her own eyes.

World War Weird - Frostbite Issue #3 'Stranger in a strange land' Witch

"Stranger... in a strange land!" she laughed eyes seeming to bore into Frostbites soul... then she drew back, hissing!

"Such evil in you! You fair rival my own once dark, now withered heart and yet...?" she leaned in close. "You smell of other things. Of honour, good, a sense of right. Such turmoil in one so young, and the power you wield! Are you a godling? Yes.. you must be. You have powers that a wizard would covet, and more besides!"

'Slay the crone!'
hissed the Dark Power inside...

"Crone, you say demon?" cackled the old woman. She laughed out loud again, diminutive form dancing about looking Frostbite up and down. "I see you brought my sword back. Yes... very clever boy. The curse is not just in the blade, but the touching of the thing! I tricked the noble Paladin, see? I says to him 'speak the word of power and unleash the might of the sword!' and he did, oh yes! The sword is cursed to turn on the wielder, such a joke, a jape! For all his supposed nobility of spirit the Paladin was possessed of surprising arrogance! Deserved his fate did he. Oh yes. Then lured another into the trap. And I won... a fallen paladin to my credit, and dark power to call on!"

"Then the joke was on me...."

She bowed her head, saddened. "Morgana as was, Dark Evil Queen took my power from me, left me in this withered shell with the curse of eternal life. None would look on me without feeling disgust! Even the animals of the forest die away! And look!" she said, reaching out to touch a plant. Her touch withered the thing until it was but a husk! "Even the plants mock me! But I'll tell you what, hero..."

"Grant me two favours and I will speak the word of power, granting ownership of the sword to you, to use as you will! The first favour... use not the sword on me!" she laughed...

Then she leaned in, looking at Frostbites handsome features. "The second?"

"A kiss!" she cackled. "A kiss for the crystal sword!" puckering up and standing on tip toes...
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Steeple_jackuk Wed Nov 16 2011, 18:10

Admin wrote:"A kiss!" she cackled. "A kiss for the crystal sword!" puckering up and standing on tip toes...

Slightly taken aback more by what the Shadow within had said, than the strange response of the witch, Frostbite thought for a moment. Could this be some trick of the Witch. Could this be some fairy tale in which he fell into a deep sleep?

"I would ask thee not to ask of me that which I cannot give, for my heart belongs to another. You who know brokenness and shame, would not wish it on another for it would only mirror your own bitterness and double your own revulsion. But I would not treat you as you have been treated. I would not give you what you deserve, for I am not your judge. Hold out your hand..."

Frostbite extended his own, making sure his cold hard shell was secure, for he didn't like to think if the Witch could lay on him an enchantment like that which the sword did, with but a touch.

OOC:

Ok if she gives me her hand, I will turn it over and bow and then kiss the back of her hand as a mark of respect and to dignify her, though none would otherwise do so. I'm thinking that to treat her as she doesn't deserve, but giving her respect and honour, is a way of restoring to her dignity she could only take but never earn.

Or else I've let her get one over my, otherwise noble intentions, and fallen into a trap.

If however she decides not to go my way (its really a trap or she is insulted or something) then I will leave. I've had enough and if she can't see a chance to gain a moment of self respect then its not the time to cast pearls before swine.

If however she tries anything funny otherwise, since I told my dark half to be on standbye, should I need help I will call on him.

Sj
Steeple_jackuk
Steeple_jackuk
Cosmic Level

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Thu Nov 17 2011, 18:58

The witch looked disappointed then shrugged. Frostbite leant in to kiss her withered, liver spotted hand, and as soon as he'd touched it with his lips, knew he'd made a mistake! He felt something draw from him, a sudden rush of energy, and collapsed to his knees!

"Freely given! It was given free of his choosing!" wailed the witch as she pulled her hand away, and left Frostbite wondering just what had happened! Not only had his ice powers turned off, he felt oddly drained, as if... no... no he was alright... the ice formed around his body again and he looked up angrily at the witch, only to gasp!

World War Weird - Frostbite Issue #3 'Stranger in a strange land' Witche

"My apologies..." breathed the witch as she looked upon her fair skin and stroked it lovingly. "The gift had to be given of your own free will - I could not take it... I... " tears came to her eyes. "I'm sorry... I just wanted to feel young again, if but for a while!"

Frostbite stood, not towering over her as much, but he was angry and energy gathered at his hands "What have you done!?!?" he snarled. The Witch shied back and wailed "A year! I took a year from your life! I'm sorry... I just... there's no excuse... I will be young, as you see me, until the next full moon, and it cost a year from your life!"

Frostbite was angered beyond belief! And yet... what did a year mean? Would he die an old man at 60? 70? 80? Longer? Had she said decades, it might well have made a massive difference, but...

"A deal is a deal!" cried the witch. "Hand me the sword!" she said, reaching out with her fair hand now.

Encased in ice as it was, Frostbite did so. The ice instantly fell away and he gasped as the crystal blade touched the flesh where the witch held out for it. She gasped and her hand, her arm, started turning to crystal before Frostbites' eyes! "Chereth!" she cried...

Suddenly the sword changed into metal, a dull, cheap, roughly made weapon instead of the beautiful crystal it had been before. The witch reversed it and plunged it gently into the soft floor where it quivered. It looked plain and unremarkable now.

"Hold the hilt and say my true name - Chereth - to activate the charm that turns it into a crystal blade, but do not thereafter touch the blade yourself! Hold it by the hilt at all times! If, as I found, you find yourself at the pointed end of the sword in the hands of a treacherous cur - Paladin, HA! - get them to say Bethnedarr! It will turn the blade on the wielder as if it had a life of its own, and they will be trapped by the curse! Only another drawing the blade - and therefore turning the sword on themselves as the curse is still active - will free the trapped one. I was bound to create the blade in penance for misdeeds, a gift for a King! The Knight who came for it sought to use it for himself and threatened to run me through lest I tell him the word of making! Now the sword is yours. Any trapped by the crystal will remain alive, through fire, frost, water or wind. They will not age, nor die, for the crystal is magick and impervious. When used as a weapon the effect is temporary though. A strong willed foe will be trapped for minutes. A weak willed foe, for weeks."

She finished speaking, then looked up in fear. The Dragon swooped in, narrowing its eyes. "MASTER!" it bellowed. "Shall I devour this crone?" it offered.
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Steeple_jackuk Thu Nov 17 2011, 22:34

Admin wrote:She finished speaking, then looked up in fear. The Dragon swooped in, narrowing its eyes. "MASTER!" it bellowed. "Shall I devour this crone?" it offered.

"Tempting, Raspadarr!" Frostbite looked speculatively at the witch. "What will you do know, the world as you've known it has changed. What part will you play?"

Frostbite wondered if the Witch might be of help to him, but quickly dismissed the thought. He'd already spent long enough here, grabbing the sword by the hilt, he lifted it from the ground and tucked it into his belt. Then turning to his Dragon companion, he strode forward leapt onto his back and allowed the strong wing beat of the Dragon to take them both up into the air.

OOC:

1. Ok I think I'll leave the Witch as she is, I am miffed she curtailed my retirement plan by a year, but in this game who knows if I'll ever get there ;-).
2. With the sword neatly stowed away I think we'd best get where we're going.

Must admit with us running around here, sounds like Dave/Anyman is having all the fun with piles of enemies - I have to admit I wouldn't want to be in that situation right now. Sounds mentally exhausting just reading about it.

Sj
Steeple_jackuk
Steeple_jackuk
Cosmic Level

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Fri Nov 18 2011, 04:03

The witch looked about, relieved that the Dragon wouldn't eat, flatten or roast her. She ran her hand through smooth glossy hair and sighed. "Do now? Thanks to you I have the chance of a life. Albeit one in which I must hurry - the full moon comes in around 9 days from now. In that time I need to establish somewhere nicer to live, learn how to get on with people and try to live a normal life. I... I suspect I will need to ask the gift from someone else, but in return I shall devote the remainder of my lifespan to good works! You have, though it may not seem it, done a good deed today, Wizard!" With that the Witch swished her skirts about, walked to the run down cottage and made to gather her meagre belongings.

The Dragon watched Frostbite from the corner of its eye as its master watched the Witch go, then shook its head. "For something so all powerful and irresistible, you seem to have let a pretty face sway your thoughts! A power you may be, human, but you are too soft!"

The Dragon saw Frostbite glance at it in annoyance, then coughed, adding "But still a power. Let us be away!"

It took to the skies...

OOC The sword, when activated, allows Frostbite to attack with it as he would any other sword (+3 damage, up to 12htk) HOWEVER it essentially ignores physical armour. If you strike the DC of the target, instead you make an EGO of the sword (20) vs Ego of the target check (instead of doing damage) roll (2d10 as usual). If the sword wins, it will transform the target into living, indestructible crystal. The duration is 1 round per 1-3 points difference in EGO check, 1 minute per 4-6 points difference, 1 hour per 7-10 points difference, 1 day per 11-18 points difference, 1 week per 19-30 points difference and longer than that in months. E.g. say you get a great roll against a weak (6 Ego) willed Goblin. There's 22 points difference between the totals after the sword compares its total vs the Goblins. That means the Goblin is turned into Crystal for 22 weeks! The only way in which a victim can escape is to overcome their own ego PLUS the difference in the rolls, so the Goblin would need to check with 6 EGO vs 22+6 (28) ego to escape the Crystal prison. A character can make a check once per time factor (so that means in the Goblins case, once per week). Obviously you guys with your Hero Points will find it easier to break free of the prison. It's powerful magic, and dangerous too. If the blade touches you (even accidentally) it will automatically make an ego attack on you! Beware is all I'll say!

The hours passed by, soaring over the forest. Up ahead, the city of Caradul came into view. The sea of trees below proved impenetrable to sight, and even the Dragon was distracted by false alarms, including a herd of Pegasi who broke into flight at the sight of the beast. Aside from dark denizens - the likes of Orcs, Kobolds and Goblins (OOC I'm sure no description is necessary...) there was no sign of the group that had abducted the first White Queen, Morgana. Likely the creatures Frostbite had seen would lay in wait for Silver Sentinel and his party, but Frostbite was sure his friend could handle them without issue.

As they landed on a hillock, looking down on the forest as it thinned and gave way to farmland, the Dragon turned its head to Frostbite. "I can change my form, accompany you into the city? Be warned though that there are some who will see my true self. Still, I can be useful in a battle...?"
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Steeple_jackuk Fri Nov 18 2011, 07:47

Admin wrote:You have, though it may not seem it, done a good deed today, Wizard!"

Frostbite lowered his head in thought for a moment before looking at her once last time, as she went to leave. "Second chances don't come around often, make sure you don't squander this one, or the last will be worse than the first."

Admin wrote:The Dragon watched Frostbite from the corner of its eye as its master watched the Witch go, then shook its head. "For something so all powerful and irresistible, you seem to have let a pretty face sway your thoughts! A power you may be, human, but you are too soft!"

The Dragon saw Frostbite glance at it in annoyance, then coughed, adding "But still a power. Let us be away!"

Suddenly at that point Frostbite head his friend Lance, Anyman coming through on their strange shared telepathic link. After replying he moved to climb back on the dragon, silent and sombre as he considered the larger world and all that was going on, whilst he and Sentinel fought for a solution. Things were not going well and for a time, as he road on Raspandarr's back, Frostbite wavered in his decision to remain. But he continued, resolute, he'd made his decision he had to see it through to the end.

Admin wrote:The hours passed by, soaring over the forest. Up ahead, the city of Caradul came into view...As they landed on a hillock, looking down on the forest as it thinned and gave way to farmland, the Dragon turned its head to Frostbite. "I can change my form, accompany you into the city? Be warned though that there are some who will see my true self. Still, I can be useful in a battle...?"

With a deep sigh, Frostbite nodded and added, "It figures..." then awaiting his companions transformation, they strode forward toward Caradul, hoping to find some way in unobtrusively. No doubt the enemy had spies about and he didn't wish to be tracked whilst he sought to gain the upper hand.

OOC:

Ok when we get close I want to see if there is a way in that avoids being seen at the gates. Even if there are little or no official presence, we don't know how well organised the other half are, so I want to slip in unnoticed if at all possible. Either going through a wall, a side gate, float over etc.

If it looks like that would be even harder to do in the day, then we'll wait for nightfall and try and slip in unnoticed and then set about getting the lay of the town and trying to sus out who knows what and where if we can. All whilst trying to keep a low profile ;-)

Sj
Steeple_jackuk
Steeple_jackuk
Cosmic Level

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Sat Nov 19 2011, 22:07

Frostbite took time to circumvent the city. Used to a modern city with its mix of buildings small, large, steel and stone, this was rather like stepping through a time warp. The centre of the city housed a Keep on a hill (OOC the terminology escapes me when I'm so sleep deprived. Motte and Bailey or some such.) and the city had grown around it. 20m high walls towered over a variety of one and two story dwellings, and buildings had sprung up on the outside, spilling outwards in every direction.

The Dragon morphed into the form of a wizened old man, though the shock of bright red hair and beard stood out some. "Your attire, master." remarked the disguised Dragon. "It will stand out. May I?"

With a wave of a hand the Dragon uttered a word and Frostbite glanced down to see his clothes had changed, though staring revealed his own costume underneath, as if the new clothing was superimposed. "An illusion, but it will suffice. Shall we?"

The pair joined a steady stream of travellers entering the city. All were carrying something to trade or sell for the most part, and when Frostbite and his companion got to the large open gates a guard in leather and studded mail stepped up. "Hold!" he said. "Your business?"

The disguised Dragon glanced at Frostbite and stepped forward to speak. "We are Wizards. There is always call for a curse removing, or love potions or the sort."

The Guard looked uneasy, but bolstered his courage some. "Pah. There's plenty of that sort of thing on East Street. We call it 'Charlatan' street..." he laughed, and several of his fellows joined in, coming over to see what the interest was. The Dragon didn't take kindly to that, and without doing anything untowards, seemed to grow in stature and dark intent to the guards who shied back as if they'd seen... well, a Dragon!

"Uh, you can pass..." muttered the Guard. "Always room for another wizard or two."

=========

Frostbite glanced about...

The Tavern was full of travellers, human for the most part. He glanced down at the watery mead in the flagon and at the disguised Dragon sat across from him. Raspandarr merely raised an eyebrow and pushed the mead to one side. "Rat's piss." he remarked. "You'd have to be a drooling knuckle dragging slacked jawed half wit to like that."

Someone didn't like his tone behind him, but a glance from Frostbite and the sword at his side quietened them down. The disguised Dragon continued. "Whilst you were ordering the food I dropped several gold pieces about. Transporting a kidnapped monarch across a country isn't an easy thing to do. We have a number of avenues to explore. We can find out who the local crime bosses are and see what they know. Or perhaps we can head towards Char... East street and enlist the services of a more capable - at least in the field we need - magician to detect the Queens presence. Or perhaps we should see the Duke. Margras Von Karamond III is the ruler of this city and the forests around, and as such is bound to follow the Queen. That said..." the 'wizard' stroked his beard and leaned back in the chair. "With the Dark Queen having declared her intentions and kidnapped not one, but two White Queens that rather leaves a power vacuum, with all torn between getting one of the Queens back and battling for a share of the spoils. It might be best were you to persuade the Duke to stand firm in his support for the Queen, if it still exists. Well, assuming Morrigan the Dark Queen has not already swayed him to her cause. If that were the case, it would be fair to assume the White Queens kidnappers would have been granted passage through the city unhindered, probably at night. Morgana is recognisable by all and..."

"DRAGON!"

Raspandarr and Frostbite both turned...

World War Weird - Frostbite Issue #3 'Stranger in a strange land' Dragon_slayer

The patrons stumbled aside to clear a path and the seated pair looked across the tavern to see Dwarves stripping their chests bare and yanking runed warhammers and axes out! There were four of them in all, and the leader was a giant by Dwarvish standards, some five and a half feet high!

Raspandarr rolled his eyes. "They can smell me." He leaned into his arm pit and shrugged.

The Dwarves charged across the tavern at the seated 'Wizard'...

OOC four of them coming at your new companion...
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Steeple_jackuk Sat Nov 19 2011, 23:21

"Your attire, master." remarked the disguised Dragon. "It will stand out. May I?

"I'm impressed, have to learn that one sometime."

After consider options…

Frostbite wanted time to consider his options, but it didn't look as if he'd get it….

"DRAGON!"

Raspandarr and Frostbite both turned...

Turning to Raspandarr, Frostbite said, in a low drawl tone, "Friends of your's?" As the first Dwarf ran forward, weapons drawn, Frostbite extended a hand, pretended to mutter some words, to cover his actions before, freezing the floor beneath the oncoming assailant, to make him loose his footing.

Then after turning to his friend, he will say out loud. "Truly my friend you skills in magic are getting better. That you could fool a dwarf into thinking you truly are a dragon just goes to show, how your latest spell has been a complete success."

Before adding in a hushed tone, he knew only Raspandarr would hear, "Not to mention how stupid these grit sucking, slag hackers must be for them to be fooled by this line of thinking."

Before adding out loud, "Come, I think its time we took our leave, to a more appreciative audience."

OOC:

1. Ok either this is going to get real ugly and we'll have to fight our way out - either way because they don't like mages, or they just don't buy the whole spelled up dragon malarkey I'm spouting.

In which case its time to fight it out, the good old fashion way. Me pretending to be a mage covering my powers as spells and fighting them off the old fashioned way. So much for lying low.

2. Assuming we do get out unmolested, well that'll be a first, but aside from that, I think we'll best try and track down Elesieth, if we can find a genuine mage.

Sj

Steeple_jackuk
Steeple_jackuk
Cosmic Level

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Mon Nov 21 2011, 08:53

With sudden sheet ice appearing on the floor the Dwarf bellowed a war cry and... "Now prepare to diieeeeeeeeeeee!!!" he wailed, disappearing end over end and under a table. His companions, battle maddened and close behind their leader, suffered the same fate, tangling themselves up in a heap under a table!

Raspandarr looked up, impressed "I was ready for a fight, but I'm happier to see these death looking idiots look silly." he shrugged, nodding in appreciation.

There were even a few claps in appreciation from the tavern patrons, and the Innkeep charged over, cudgel in hand followed by a couple of burly bar hands.

When the Dwarves struggled to their feet and looked about, enraged and embarrassed, the Wizards were gone...

=========

Frostbite looked up and down...

The buildings were close together, and some were strange, ramshackle affairs that looked like they'd topple at any minute. They - sort of - resembled certain parts of very old towns and cities that had sought to keep some of their old 'feel' in the name of attracting tourism, though they were for the most part tudor style. This was a mix of... well, everything he'd ever seen in a fantasy movie and more. The people in the street wore a mish mash of styles, some wore swords at their waist, others carried bows, cross bows, daggers, warhammers... seemed they lived in dangerous times, more so now that the good Queen, so recently returned, had gone again, and word was starting to get round.

"I'm a Dragon" muttered Raspandarr as the pair walked. He glanced about, and whilst he wasn't worried about the Dwarves following them, he was concerned that they'd ruin his disguise with so many more people about. "And even I can taste the fear in the air on these people, normally a feeling I detect when I am in my true form."

'The reptile speaks true'
said the Dark Power. 'It is quite delicious, but this world is in turmoil. The Grail magic constantly seeks a way to balance the scales of good and evil. That sword you have may be the key to balancing them whilst taking the Grail magic out of the equation - at least for a while. Every death on one side or the other has the Grail Magic creating another creature from the stuff of the earth, and the cycle starts anew. I could grow to like - or tire - of this place soon. I thought I had left endless battle and strife behind, and the temptation to feast gnaws on the fibre of my being!'

Raspandarr frowned. "Did you say something? Oh. Here. The street that was mentioned."

The sign said 'East Street' which seemed innocuous enough, but there the normalcy finished. The buildings here were a proper mish mash of contrasting styles and impossible angles. Some leant like the tower of pisa, others were like an upside down pyramid, door on the side with a blank wall facing out to the street, some even hurt the eyes to look at directly!

"Magic." muttered the Dragon. "Only humans can warp it to its extreme." it added, shaking its head in disgust.

A man in robes walked up to Frostbite. He was young, with a bald head and runic tatoos down the side of his face. "You are... Joseph Rigdon?" he said, raising an eyebrow. "A traveller from afar! Tell me, good sir and your... er... companion" he added taking a step back from Raspandarr. "What can the delights and wonders of East Street offer you?"

Behind, in the distance, a commotion was kicking off - the Dwarves had spilled out into the street, and were pushing people aside, to the consternation of the town guards.

The Dragon sighed. "There could be trouble ahead..." it nodded towards East Street. "And behind..."

The Wizard - for such it was - said "Please leave your troubles OUT of East Street. If you have a genuine problem, and means to pay for services, by all means, welcome. But the Dragon should leave..."

Behind, down the street, the Dwarves were making their way through the crowds and getting closer...

OOC this'll be my last reply till Tuesday night - exams tomorrow so swotting up Sad

Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Steeple_jackuk Mon Nov 21 2011, 14:35

OOC this'll be my last reply till Tuesday night - exams tomorrow so swotting up

OOC: All the best for that Paul, I'm changing broadband, but my last provider made it so difficult to leave, I've had to have a new line and so no access except via a mobile dongle. Annoying, but therefore no rush.

The Dragon sighed. "There could be trouble ahead..." it nodded towards East Street. "And behind..."

The Wizard - for such it was - said "Please leave your troubles OUT of East Street. If you have a genuine problem, and means to pay for services, by all means, welcome. But the Dragon should leave..."

Behind, down the street, the Dwarves were making their way through the crowds and getting closer...

As much as it annoyed Frostbite that the Dwarves, were insistent on fighting, he couldn't afford for them to draw any more unwanted attention.

"We've got more than money he said…" Noteing the way the mage's eyes lit up with curiosity at the suggestion. "I'd like to show you more, but I fear your competitors might outbid you should they get a look at our wares. The Dwarves for instance, are keen not to let us get away, but we do not wish to trade with them. Now hide us quickly, for you know we are more than we seem and we'll make it worth you while.

OOC:

"1. if I can persuade him all good and well. But if not I think we'll just run in anyway and hide ourselves among the buildings.
2. If he tries to pull a fast one, or attack us for going in then I'll suggest that Raspandarr, escape and I'll sink into the ground/sewers to loose our pursuit and we'll agree to meet up where we landed outside at nightfall. If I fail to show up, he'll know something is wrong.

Sj
Steeple_jackuk
Steeple_jackuk
Cosmic Level

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Tue Nov 22 2011, 23:24

"More than money you say? Well stranger, anyone who travels with a disguised... old... Dragon" he said, adding the term respectfully noting Raspandarrs raised eyebrow. "I'll take a chance, but know this - I won't take being cheated too well, regardless of who you or your companion is!" With that the man fished out a handful of near worthless copper coins from a pouch. The Dragon snorted. "What do you suppose those will...?"

His voice was cut off by a smile from the mage and a muttered "Watch and learn, old one..."

He muttered a spell and tossed the coins into the air. They seemed to shimmer and change, and a shower of precious gemstones came down in their stead, seemingly endless and clattering onto the people in the street who looked up, cried in delight and scattered, gathering as many 'gems' as they could! Even the Dwarves faltered, and not because of all the people in their way. Their eyes lit up at the prospect of free riches and only the leader seemed focussed, albeit frustrated, at having being cheated of a glorious combat!

"Mad as a hatter, to a Dwarf, those death seekers. If it's not trolls, giants, demons or undead, it's Dragons they want to die in battle against..." said the Mage as he gestured for the hero and his companion to follow him down a side alley.

"I'll gladly oblige him... " muttered the Dragon.

The mage paused and answered "Ah, but did you note those anti Draconic runes on the weapons, Drake? They may be completely barmy but the Dwarves give themselves at least a fighting chance if they can land a hit with one of those things. Some paralyse, others send a shock wave through the dragons body that cracks every bone and leaves the beast in agony, wailing for a quick end. Effective runes. I should know, I have done a few myself..."

The Dragon bristled but followed Frostbite and the Mage led them down another alley and into a small back door in the shadows of a building.

He turned once inside, hung up his robe and picked his way through a cluttered shop of brick a brack and magical paraphernalia to sit down at a table and summoned two chairs to slide across the floor for his guests to be seated. "I am Theruss, the mage."

"Theruss of Erenhead? The same Theruss who set the Dukes' castle on fire with a firework display of 'such spectacular pyrotechnical prowess it will bedazzle and delight for eternity'?" queried the Dragon. "my... close cousin heard about such a crazed human mage." chuckled Raspandarr.

The Mage looked mildly annoyed. "I changed my appearance and thought the deed forgotten long enough not to bother with a name change." he muttered. "Well it WAS spectacular, albeit until the Duke and his entourage realised his castle was turned into a great bonfire. No one was injured..."

"...though I'll bet it wasn't from the Dukes' lack of trying, should he have gotten hold of you!" guffawed the Dragon.

The Mage looked very annoyed now. "Right then, what is it you want, and bear in mind you owe me from the street... the Dwarves..." he looked at the Dragon. "And I'm tempted to raise the price for the insult, too!"

Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next