The Vanguard Play by Post Roleplaying Game
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

World War II - The Vanguard Issue #4a - All aboard the Odin!

4 posters

Page 3 of 8 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Go down

World War II - The Vanguard Issue #4a - All aboard the Odin! - Page 3 Empty Re: World War II - The Vanguard Issue #4a - All aboard the Odin!

Post  Admin Thu Oct 13 2011, 10:33

World War II - The Vanguard Issue #4a - All aboard the Odin! - Page 3 Totals_2

Frostbite flew through the air towards where the two ladies struggled against those massed around them! As he landed, he twisted, levelled his arms and used his power to chill the air between him and a Skrall Cyborg, seemingly firing a bolt of ice at his foe!

OOC Roll 15+3+6=24-17. 7 Accuracy x5 for 18htk 17htc, dividers reduced damage to 9htk, 17htc. Frostbites energy total updated (above)

This time the Vanguards leader struck true with a searing bolt of cold that left the Cyborg reeling! Though still on its feet it couldn't take many more blasts like that!

Saladin
, at point blank/melee range, set his mind to taking out another Cyborg...

OOC Energy totals updated above. Roll 24 (double 5+14)+18 (ego) vs 9+12 (ego). 21 Accuracy x2 Htk.

The Lion roared! A cyborg flung itself back, eyes blazing as the energy lion seemingly mauled it, and what fell to the floor was a dried out husk, held together by cybernetic parts!

"Show no mercy!" snarled Saladin and he spun to deliver a karate kick at his foes!

OOC Roll 13+3+6. 22-17 = 5 accuracy. Equates to +8htk +5htc. +26 strength. 39htk /4 = 8 htk and 2 htc

With a thunderous kick his spun and slammed straight into the chest of the remaining Cyborg facing him... only for the thing to stand there, impassive!

Saladin spun "Hoskyn! Use your power! We have not the time for this!"

OOC Just need Silver Sentinel to act and the bad guys go.
Admin
Admin
Admin

https://darkeningshadows.darkbb.com

Back to top Go down

World War II - The Vanguard Issue #4a - All aboard the Odin! - Page 3 Empty Re: World War II - The Vanguard Issue #4a - All aboard the Odin!

Post  Steeple_jackuk Fri Oct 14 2011, 07:11

Admin wrote:World War II - The Vanguard Issue #4a - All aboard the Odin! - Page 3 Totals_2
Saladin spun "Hoskyn! Use your power! We have not the time for this!"
OOC Just need Silver Sentinel to act and the bad guys go.

OOC: Somehow didn't see this update. I know we're waiting on Sentinel/Ross, he might not have noticed this update either. I didn't get an email telling me about it, which is why I just decided to check anyway.

Frostbite questioned the brutal thinking of Saladin, he question if the man had a soul, such was his cavalier attitude to the whole team. But in truth Frostbite begun to wonder himself, how long they could get by without their allies help, however reluctant that might be.

OOC: Ok not sure what to use the Dark Power for just yet, anything substantive takes a lot more effort and carries a greater risk, so I'm going to wait and see what happens after Sentinel's turn and then perhaps kick in the Dark Power use then.

Right now there seems to many unknowns and I don't want to call and the power and make a poor choice in the light of what we end up facing next. Of course I might get my butt handed to me and it might be all a moot point, but we'll see.

Sj
Steeple_jackuk
Steeple_jackuk
Cosmic Level

Back to top Go down

Post  smaug Fri Oct 14 2011, 07:59

"Allow me" sentinel answered the call back to his old cocky self and loving the damage he can dish out to the cyborgs but not whats left of them after he manipulates their twisted metal hulking bodies, the green rotting skin with their internal organs and still twitching spinal column on show.

He then firmly grabbed the cyborgs should with his left metal clad hand and with his right plunged it through his foes plated back melting the surrounding area as his arm followed through as well, like a hot knife through butter, rendering the reinforced giant speechless and gasping at the steaming hole in its abdomen. As the surrounding panels melted away to the floor the Borg just folded and slid off sentinels arm and hit the floor

smaug
Class 4 Hero (Powerful Superhuman)

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Fri Oct 14 2011, 09:00

Silver Sentinel moved closer to a Cyborg, reaching for it... He didn't need to even touch the thing! Within 2m his power started to affect it, the metallic parts of the Cyborgs body breaking down, oozing like wax to the floor, splattering around the hapless Cyborgs' feet! Some sprayed clear of the zone he could affect and clattered, hard and solid, like beads across the smooth metal floor.

Silver Sentinel truly was in his element, metallic foes his speciality! He reached into the Cyborgs' gut, grasped something that felt like a tube, and pulled... the Cyborgs' organic form tore away from the liquid metal with a great SLURP and Sentinel pulled a face behind his helmet - he held most of what remained of the Cyborgs' organic form, butchered and changed to accommodate the cybernetic systems! They were physically larger than the technician Skralls, giants compared to those diminutive types, as if bred for the purpose.

'They were' said the Dark Power inside 'Breeding pits, by the teeming million. A battle for survival, cannibalism, and the strongest gain this 'honour', their bodies sullied by this thing you call Science. Foul. Disgusting. Terrible. I like it.'

OOC bad guys move

The Cyborgs continued to fight even though their numbers now were depleted (one badly injured, two remaining unharmed).

OOC one on each. Last shot then they engage in hand to hand. On Frostbite, roll 10, hit, 2 accuracy, 5 htk 5htc, dividers reduced. Then it moves to melee range where he's now stood. On Saladin; roll 7 miss, then a melee attack, roll 13 hit, 3 accuracy, 16htc, no good. Simply slides off the forcefield. On Silver Sentinel; Roll 17 hit, 9 accuracy 22htc 23htk dividers reduced. Response? It also attacks with melee; Roll 10 miss. Responses?

The PSI Agents, stood watching all this time, suddenly sped forwards (at low grade super speed) to where Saladin was! He whirled, near impossible to catch unawares, and grinned. The grin slid from his face when he noticed each wore a belt, some device of some kind? With one to the front, sides, and back, he whirled, trying to keep all in his peripheral vision... "Now just wait a moment..." he said, smile falling from his face. "What do you...?"

As one, the PSI agents activated a dial on their belt, then plunged a hand at Saladin!

OOC four attacks, one from each. 15 hit (6 accuracy), 8 miss, 17 hit (8 accuracy), 8 miss. Two hits. No apparent damage, but there may be another effect... Response?

From where he was stood, Frostbite looked over. The PSI Agent clones were glowing! He looked up at Saladin. What was...?

'A trap. This man you face has a keen intellect. He plays you like pieces on a gr'Aaal'shaam board!' chuckled the Dark Power inside Frostbites head.

Frostbite had his own problems! Five of the Nazis were trying to grab him, whilst another was wearing a strange contraption like a backpack. It had cables running from the pack down the arms to what appeared to be electrified knuckle dusters! The Nazis were shouting at each other, determined to destroy the interlopers!

OOC Attack on Frosty (these are grab attacks, two each for the Nazis) 3 miss, 3, miss (!), 16 hit, 13 hit, 10 miss, 9 miss, 12 hit, 16 hit. They are trying to grab Frostbite. To quote from the Squk rules "All superpowered characters may make up to four Combat Responses in one Round against any Weapon Class 0 or Weapon Class 1 attacks at no cost in future Frames. Any additional responses to such attacks in the Round will cost 1 future Frame per additional response. The response times given in the details of the Combat Responses apply only to attacks other than Weapon Class 0 or 1." What all that babble means is that you can attempt to parry (or even dodge might be an option) these grabs for free, your choice.

As the Nazis grabbed Frostbite to hold him in place, the Nazi with the backpack walked forward, look of trepidation on his face. The others egged him on, against the background sounds of battle and lasers blasting! What would happen if he were to touch Frostbite with those things?

From over her shoulder, Guillotine called out "Fastback, help him!" whilst she continued to type. "Damn this alien technology... where is your computer friend when we need him Frostbite?"

As if to answer, the Frostbot spoke up "The external presence has started a shutdown procedure that I am attempting to override. They could not erect firewall security fast enough to stop me, so they are literally 'pulling the plug' on all ship systems. That will cut the life support systems and the anti gravity, as well as the lights in the room which you currently battle. I am attempting to override. Your female friend is close to accessing the mainframe to gain access to the core Cyborg commands. Once that is done, the root command I sent will engage across the ship. Wait. Modifying. It will also transmit throughout every ship in this small fleet."

Fastback started to attack the other Nazis, laying into them with her normal speed. She felt so slow, so limited, but had to do something...

OOC she swings... 11 hit, 10 htc, (these guys are WC0 DC10 20htc and kill), 7 hit, 2htc, 15 hit, 18htc, 3 miss. One Nazi stooge goes down, another is dazed...

The Nazis take notice of the woman now, several turning guns on her!

OOC All the Cyborgs have exhausted their laser energy. It's melee attacks for them from now. Frostbite has one shot left in him, Saladin has exhausted his PSI. Responses for these, then will be remaining frame (2 for Lionheart) for you guys.
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Steeple_jackuk Fri Oct 14 2011, 10:31

Admin wrote:

What all that babble means is that you can attempt to parry (or even dodge might be an option) these grabs for free, your choice.

OOC All the Cyborgs have exhausted their laser energy. It's melee attacks for them from now. Frostbite has one shot left in him, Saladin has exhausted his PSI. Responses for these, then will be remaining frame (2 for Lionheart) for you guys.

Frostbite shot out his hands instinctively punching away the grabbing hands and hoping to cause some consternation as he did. Still he became even more concerned with what was happening to Saladin. Their fight was one thing but now there was these Psi agents to think off, given time he might have been able to think what to do. But in this situation he had to act. Did he empower his computer again or did he empower himself to act. Or was their a third option.

"Ok, you've been itching to get a chance to do more, how about helping me to help Sentinel without him loosing control. I think we have an understanding he has yet to gain, so help me help him." Within him Frostbite called on the dark power, willing through the link he shared with Sentinel to expand the effective range of his power, to effect all the metal the enemies about them contained, thus rendering their back packs and super weapons useless and finishing these Skrall cyborgs once and for all.

OOC:

So not sure what it costs for me to give Sentinel a boost to his powers so either he gets the necessary frames to act out of turn before the bad guys can do anymore and also so he can expand the effective range of his power to take in everyone here. I'm hoping that as a result this will help Saladin as well as the others.

Talking of Saladin he'll dodge, Frostbite will parry as best he can and try and get in this attack wherever possible.

Sj
Steeple_jackuk
Steeple_jackuk
Cosmic Level

Back to top Go down

Post  smaug Fri Oct 14 2011, 14:33

"Ok, you've been itching to get a chance to do more, how about helping me to help Sentinel without him loosing control. I think we have an understanding he has yet to gain, so help me help him."

'I'm ready now, i feel more in control of .....of myself' sentinel answered through his thoughts hearing frostbites conversation with his shadow.

Yes quickly snapped a voice inside Jensons, almost too keen to answer allowing Sentinel to listen in. 'Join efforts with his inner shadow, we are only hear to help. Save the day....be the hero' it sharply added its true intentions unknown but Sentinel still undecided on his feelings toward these 'inner demons' hesitated and summed up the actions of his shadow in the past.

The time it saved him when he was over run with hundreds of Nazis hell bent on his destruction,

The time he joined with frostbite to crush the walking machines that were closing in on helpless allies,

Or the time when his shadow prince gave him all the power he could of ever wanted, all the power in all the known universe and steered him towards the destruction of everyone possible enemy on Earth......anyone who had ever committed a crime or even had a evil thought. Basically everyone.

His trust was still yet to be earned.

But how could he let his team down....no his friends down and his planet. This power, this dark power was required....but could the shadows be trusted. why not rewrite time as the vanguard saw fit, use there powers to stop Hitler and spare millions of lives then they would never need there powers or the shadows?????? Cut of the snakes head as it were.

"What do we need to do?" was the basic question sentinel asked his team member as he ran over to help him

smaug

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Fri Oct 14 2011, 23:45

OOC It'll be 2 frames apiece to use the Dark Power. I think we did an 'assisted' Dark Power use at some point before and the upshot was that Sentinel got to use 9 Ego instead of 6. Frostbite tries to bat away the Nazi goons. Shouldn't be too hard seeing as target number is 7 or more against these guys. Let's have a look. 9, 11, 12, 6. One of the Nazis keeps hold of Frostbite.

"Ich habe ihn! Ich habe ihn!"* cried the Nazi with a hand on Frostbite. Then he cried out, peeling his hand off the ice cold man "Arrrrrrrgggh!!!" Frostbite glanced down at his skin - he knew his 'tough skin' was attributed somehow to being more dense, but that it was down to it being cold hadn't occurred - after all, he didn't feel the cold!

The Dark power in his mind spoke up 'You need to place a hand on your friend in order for us to help him.' it rasped. With that Frostbite moved over, followed by the Nazis who tried to grab at him!

Sentinel heard that, then started for Frostbite. The two met up and clasped wrist to wrist, staring into one anothers eyes. This could go right - and save them all - or horribly wrong, and doom everyone!

Meanwhile Saladin wasn't having a great time!

He saw the hands coming at him and the machines on their waists. He wasn't getting an overly prophetic feeling of doom from the things. Might they just incapacitate instead of kill, and would his force field stop it anyway?

OOC His awesome dodging prowess saves the day, again. Roll 3 (+10-WC3=10, dodged completely) and 4 (+10-WC3=11, dodged completely). Saladin has used all his frames from this round, as have Frostbite and Sentinel who need an action each to call on Sentinels' Dark power. So, hero points at the ready then... *gulp* I need a number guys. Sentinel has an EGO of 9. You need to choose the Ego of the Dark power and if you win the test, you get that many D10 to spend on upgrading/new powers. So, if you choose 6, you get 6D10 if you win the contest. Oh yeah, contest is 2D10+your ego vs 2D10+Dark power Ego. If you want more power you increase the risk - no one said being a hero was easy! First though ... Initiative. 8 Heroes, 2 Bad guys. You get 3 frames, ample time. So, to use the Dark Power, pick a number from 1-20 and we'll see what happens... In the meantime...

Saladin watched as the hands came at him. They were awesomely skilled, and super fast as well.

But he was Saladin! The greatest PSI Corps Agent who ever lived, a legend amongst the 1st Generation, and the reason Trowers and the others ran scared, coming up with the likes of Lionheart and those other weakling 2nd Generation... He paused his thought. No. This was a borrowed body! He moved like lightning, watching both blows swish past him, and noted the surprise on their faces! HA!

He then glanced around, saw an exit from the bridge. Might he be best going for the lab and attempting the process that would see him transferred? These others, Lionhearts friends, would battle in his stead. He owed them nothing, and after all, the mission was everything! He WOULD see Bentham, Trowers and the others dead, and not just for ruining his life, but for destroying the timeline!

OOC * "I have him!" said the German.
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Steeple_jackuk Sat Oct 15 2011, 08:17

Admin wrote:I need a number guys. Sentinel has an EGO of 9. You need to choose the Ego of the Dark power and if you win the test, you get that many D10 to spend on upgrading/new powers. In the meantime...

OOC: Ok we choose 5 hopefully this will not result in a complete meltdown of all known existence. 5d10 should be plenty to upgrade Sentinel and get us out of this sticky wicket.

As regards to Saladin

Admin wrote:Saladin then glanced around, saw an exit from the bridge.

Saladin was no fool, although he felt he owed nothing to the others the way his King, did, at the same time charging off would only leave him open and vulnerable. Should he start the process and be interrupted both he and his borrowed body might be damaged, or worse captured. He had to make sure that the process left no trace for Bentham or Trowers to get his secret. Only then could he be sure that he was one step ahead. A process that so far had only been achieved with the help of King's companions. A thought that still chafed at Saladin.

OOC:

Stay with it for the moment, going off on my own only got me into hot water, now with the others here, it makes sense to wait till things are subdued before attempting to do the clone swap jig etc. So hit out with martial arts when I can, otherwise dodging for me at present.

Sj
Steeple_jackuk
Steeple_jackuk
Cosmic Level

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Sun Oct 16 2011, 20:46

With Frostbites help Silver Sentinel called out to the Dark power within, seeking to take on a tiny fraction of the power available. The peril lay in taking on too much, with the power flowing over Sentinels' mind like a flood, drowning him, consuming him... leaving him a prisoner in his own body as some crazed other dimensional entity laid waste to... NO! That would not happen! Sentinel concentrated, straining every fibre of his being to stay in control!

OOC here we go. 2D10+9 vs 2D10+5. 2d10+9=22 Sentinel, 2d10+5=16 Dark Power, 5d10=29 points to sped, no 10s to explode. That's enough to boost Sentinels metal morphing power by a grade which will extend the range to around 20m or so. Sentinel needs 2 frames to use it now (having used 2 frames to call on the Dark Power). HOWEVER, as mentioned in the OOC thread I will move us on so we're not scrapping on this ship forever, so...

Saladin batted away every grasping hand from the PSI Agents and realised what it was they were doing - those devices were some kind of teleportation 'recall' device or similar. That meant they would be taking him somewhere, and despite his power, he knew that he'd be in serious trouble!

Frostbite grappled with the Cyborgs near him and saw Fastback had been caught by a stray swing, spinning her from her feet! Clearly she was struggling from her blood sugar levels again - her power was such a fine line between incredible speed and complete disaster, and she was veering towards the latter!

Guillotine turned, cursing, and left her chair to interpose herself between Fastback and the Nazis. On the screen behind her alien script flashed, and Guillotine turned to press a button, only to be clobbered by the butt of a rifle that sent her head spinning! She batted that Soldier away with a backhand, sending him through the air only for another to drive a rifle butt into her gut, doubling her up, followed by a knee to her face!

Still she refused to go down, and slammed a hand out, but the punch was weak and she fell back, protecting Fastback as best she could even though she was winded and blood ran into her eyes!

Just then Silver Sentinel raised his hands, and there was a strange wave that pulsed from him, even as dark red energy crackled in his eyes and around his hands... and everything metallic started to ooze, collapsing, all about the bridge! Sentinel narrowed his focus... every weapon carried by the Nazis burst like crushed grapes, metal splattering to the floor! The Cyborgs jerked, then immediately crashed to the floor in a puddle of metal!

Each of the four PSI Agents jerked, crying out, and fell back, clutching a hand to their right ear... the belts about their waists fell off, the contents destroyed...

Guillotine shouted "Stay away from the computers!" and Sentinel glanced across to where she way, veering his influence away at the last moment!

The floor around him collapsed, meaning he had to step onto a more solid part of the bridge, and all about, the walls, floor, chairs, certain sections of the bridge, the cyborgs... all looked like they'd been made of wax and held too close to a flame!

As the power faded the combatants regarded one another... the Nazis looked in terror, holding up their hands in surrender. The PSI Agents looked around, confused, one still picking metal out of his ear... The Cyborgs were gone, their organic parts submerged in a sea of molten sludge. Some of the Skrall Technicians were trapped in the metal, others stood at odd angles, the metallic sections of the implants attached to their heads having oozed into uselessness.

Guillotine staggered up to her feet and leaned across the console to press a button. She turned, announcing 'All the cyborgs on the ship are sleeping. Aside from a few Nazis with guns... the ship is ours."

OOC over to you. Those PSI Agents might present another problem...? Or not. Let's see what happens...
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Steeple_jackuk Sun Oct 16 2011, 21:46

Admin wrote: Aside from a few Nazis with guns... the ship is ours."

OOC over to you. Those PSI Agents might present another problem...? Or not. Let's see what happens...

Moving first to Gulliontine then to Fastback, all the while keeping a weary eye on the Nazi's, Frostbite checked they were both ok. Making sure Fastback was safe for a moment, he called to Sentinel. "Sentinel great work, man I'm so glad you hung in there. But we need to get these guys safely locked away." Noting the surprised and somewhat relieved glances from the Nazi's, he continued, "Despite what lies you've been told, you will sit out this war in a cell and not be subject to anything other than forced labour. If you co-operate, that is!" He added with a edge to his voice, no one could mistake.

Meanwhile Saladin looked about, relieved, Bentham had got more clever, the possibility of being teleported a fast distance, snatched at the very moment, was not a pleasant thought. He'd have to consider the possibilities that meant for him, later. Right now his priority was to set about cloning and transferring his intelligence to another body. He already felt he'd stayed too long, in King's body. The man was a sentimental fool, fire had to be fought with fire. Bentham couldn't be cuddled into submission, he had to be killed without thought or mercy, or else his twisted genius would live on to plague all mankind. Saladin could see it clearly, free from the petty morality that King clung to. Still it served him well to fight on the side of King's allies, but he could see that there may well come a party of the ways. Seeing his chance, he offered to help take the prisoners down below. With them locked up, he'd have the chance to examine and begin the operation to set about cloning himself. But he also needed to make sure that afterwards no one could repeat the experiment. He had the upper hand and intended to keep it that way.

"I will help escort the prisoners to the make shift brig." Saladin offered, Frostbite raised an eyebrow. He knew the ruthless cold Psi agent must be up to something, he'd be desperate to check out the cloning chambers. Until know he'd been unsure as to how he felt about the possibility of the man cloning his friends body and transferring his consciousness into it. But didn't the man deserve a chance to live also, clearly that both men shared the one body wasn't right either.

Moving over to him, Frostbite said, "I know what you came to do, wait till we're back at Bletchley and I will endorse you request to carry out the cloning, Guillotine and the others can help. I want my friend back and you to stop squatting in his body as much I believe you do to."

Saladin nodded, appearing to acquiesce. Moving over to the prisoners, he clicked his knuckles. "I am a mind reader, so I just need you to think a single wrong thought and believe me when I say I will not disappoint you, in carrying out Frostbite's threat. Do we understand one another?" He added with a cold lifeless and utterly certain smile. No one could be in any doubt that one step out of line and Saladin would squash them like a bug.

Then he moved the prisoners into line, having first made sure each of them was stripped of any weapons and had them tie each others hands together, before having them place their hands on their heads and getting them to walk in a single file.

With that taken care of, Frostbite called out to Frostbot, "Any chance they've got something for you to wear, not unlike what you had before? It just we could do with you up here to fly this thing to help Anyman and get back to England."

Sj
Steeple_jackuk
Steeple_jackuk
Cosmic Level

Back to top Go down

Post  smaug Mon Oct 17 2011, 22:45

"feew" sounded an exhausted silver sentinel as he made his may over to frostbite.
"and we trust that man why?" he asked his fellow vanguard a question he knew frostbite wouldnt answer

"huh I'll just tell you this now before I pass out with lack of blood to my brain, frosty I know your not stupid but Saladin has a plan for you, I can see it in his eyes, and one day he will get when your back is turned......hmm ........ and now" huffed sentinel as he plonked himself down tired from the use of the dark power "i going to pass out......and maybe throw up a little"

smaug

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Mon Oct 17 2011, 23:39

Saladin escorted the prisoners to the brig. The Fight had left them, and everywhere along the way Cyborgs slumped here and there, victim of the two pronged attack to disable them wrought by Frostbot and Guillotine.

On the bridge the Skrall technicians freed those that had been ensnared by the now set metal and carted them off to be repaired - or scrapped. Dozens more strolled onto the bridge like automatons to restore functionality and set to with cutting gear and replacement parts.

Frostbite and the others had a moment to relax until the Frostbot spoke over the comms system. "The other ships are still out there and have regained functionality." The screen flickered to show five more vessels taking up attack positions...

Silver Sentinel glanced at Frostbite and the two women. had it all been for nothing? Were they about to be destroyed in a fireball, their hopes and dreams smashed into smithereens?

=========

Elsewhere Bentham stared at four static filled screens...

"Your orders sir?" asked a PSI agent, the double of Boadicea. All about this huge control room the clones of the PSI Agents busied about, collating reports and intelligence and guiding the Axis to a victory that should never be. Another agent, the double of Spartan, strode up. "Sir. Reports are coming in that the Chelmno camp is under attack by the metahuman who goes by the codename of..."

Bentham turned. "Anyman. Yes. I predicted that the simpering alien would run to him. His reputation grows with every bungling attempt by the Nazis to ensnare him. If I were in charge..."

"But you're not." said Damon Trowers. "And neither am I. We are simply cogs in a great wheel that must always keep turning, despite the sticks in the spokes. call off the other ships. You have been right about a great many things my friend, with that incredible mind of yours, but this group, this 'Vanguard' continue to confound us. Our quest must continue - we MUST have Lionheart. From the data we received his power has grown beyond measure, and yet I cannot help but think we are distracted, obsessed by our former agent when those around him appear to be as or more powerful? Where did they come from? How did they get their powers? Why do they keep winning?"

"We can still take them. The other ships..."

"Would be lost. Short of destroying the Odin and scuppering our plans completely we will play their game for now. Let them go, recall the ships. If they push the matter, cripple them, but I expect they will find a way around that as well. We help our Nazi friends win the air war over Britain and launch their 'operation Sea Lion'. You and both know history told it that the British held out. Makes one proud does it not, save that it doesn't benefit us one iota. This time it WILL be different, and we will have Lionheart. Set your mind to a plan." he turned to another aid, one that looked like Guillotine. "Send word. The word is 'Go' "

=========

"They are pulling back, but their weapons are still locked on us." announced Frostbot.

"What does that mean?" asked Fastback. Her face was grey with fatigue, and she was slumped against a wall, injured, exhausted, blood sugar level near critical. "Shouldn't we go after them? Are they on the run? Why don't we attack their moon base?"

Guillotine continued to bandage Fastback as she spoke. "They want Lionheart. That much was clear. We may well get some information from them, but for now I suggest we leave whilst the going is good. We bloodied their nose, came away with two of their ships and stopped an awful creature from infecting the P'utinarians. Speaking of which, perhaps we should help Anyman?"

Just then, a robot came marching onto the Bridge. Everyone stood, ready for the fight, even fastback! It turned and eyed Frostbite. "This metallic form will suffice" said the 7' tall smooth skinned robot before continuing. "I shall endeavour to pilot the ship back to Bletchley Park."

World War II - The Vanguard Issue #4a - All aboard the Odin! - Page 3 Image2

Frostbot (for t'was he) moved over to a console, thrust a hand out and a cable spat from a finger, inserting into a socket. The ship gently changed course and it became clear the Nazi vessels had been recalled. Though they kept their weapons trained on the Odin they didn't fire, and soon were out of range.

Guillotine came over to Sentinel and Frostbite, speaking quietly. "Whilst I respect General Wynns power, and his ability to change normal people into superhumans IS remarkable, my initial prognosis is that Fastbacks superhuman speed is killing her! Her powers need to be removed before she dies of old age - before she turns 23!"

The ship sped through the clouds back towards Britain...

OOC Back to Bletchley or over to Chelmno to help Anyman?

Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Steeple_jackuk Tue Oct 18 2011, 07:34

Smaug wrote:"Pheew" sounded an exhausted Silver Sentinel as he made his may over to Frostbite.
"And we trust that man why?" he asked his fellow vanguard a question he knew frostbite wouldnt answer!

Frostbite didn't answer his friends, comments but gave a grateful nod, somewhat embarrassed by the young man's appreciation.

Admin wrote:Frostbot (for t'was he) moved over to a console, The ship sped through the clouds back towards Britain...

OOC Back to Bletchley or over to Chelmno to help Anyman?

"Frostbot good to see you got dressed to join us..." Frostbite couldn't help adding with a smile, "We go for Anyman's location, we've been given a reprieve, lets make the most of it."

Admin wrote:Guillotine came over to Sentinel and Frostbite, speaking quietly. "Whilst I respect General Wynns power, and his ability to change normal people into superhumans IS remarkable, my initial prognosis is that Fastbacks superhuman speed is killing her! Her powers need to be removed before she dies of old age - before she turns 23!"

Turning to Guillotine as he stole a glance at the young girls ashen face, he nodded before saying, "I think you're right. She has really lived up to and exceeded Wynn's hopes. She's got fight, but I wonder how she will feel about being 'retired' early. We can't do much about it now, 'out of the frying pan...' and all that. Lets get her to sick bay and get her comfortable, then join us again here, I need to have you close at hand for what might be coming up."

With that Frostbite took his place next to Frostbot and stared ahead lost in thought.

Meanwhile Saladin, escorted the prisoners down to the brig. Once he'd deposited them there with a sinister smile for good measure, he sped off to the cloning labs. Originally he had full intended to make sure that he got all the information he could and stole what couldn't easily be reproduced. But he imagined now that a makeshift lab might introduce inherent flaws into his new body. Something he could do without. He'd have to be better than his best to make sure he beat Trowers and Bentham.

As he entered the lab, his brilliant mind raced, matching the pace of his heart, as he considered what this might mean for him and King, should he be able to replace his own lost body.

OOC:

Ok so I need to ask Paul, how fast can Saladin make a new body for himself? Can he do it securely and can he do it so that he can place his own conscience into it with it having all his present abilities (I imagine I'd have to clone myself firstly to make sure the mind and body had all the right properties etc). In one sense he is impatient to try it as soon as possible, but he also realises that he might not be able to do it on his own.

Sj

Steeple_jackuk
Steeple_jackuk
Cosmic Level

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Tue Oct 18 2011, 10:31

The ship changed course, thundering high through the clouds towards Poland.

"Scan indicates heightened activity at the site of the Prison Camp. There appears to be an extreme amount of electromagnetic interference. Scanning. Fascinating. Spartan appears to have discharged the magnetic railguns in a 'shaped pulse' directed at the camp itself. In short, all metallic objects will be attracted AND repelled to each other. Without superhuman strength there would be no way to operate such devices. They are simply 'frozen' in place. Ingenious, though it leaves his ship defenceless and at the mercy of Nazi fighters we are picking up in that area." said Frostbot to Frostbite and Silver Sentinel.

=========

Saladin saw the prisoners to their cells.

The normal Nazis were cowed, terrified by the prospect of what would happen next to them, whilst the four PSI agents appeared to be in a daze. "Where are we? Who are you?" asked one, a woman who looked like Boadicea. Saladin frowned. A trick? He scanned with his vast mental powers. No. Whatever device had been used to control them had clearly been destroyed by the hapless buffoon in the armour, but even Saladin had to admit his power was impressive. So why waste it? Why fight for these people? They would only turn on him, regard him as a freak or a threat when the battle was done! Could they not see that? With such power, what could Saladin do? He pondered. There might be a way, some way, to grasp it for himself. For now... he opened the door to the lab and regarded the dozen tubes in there. Eyes scanning over the equipment, he realised all of it had come from his own time era, retro fitted by the mad genius Claude Bentham. He flexed a fist, feeling the power and potential inside this body he could barely control. Lionheart would push again, and soon. His body had gone without sleep for days now.

Moving over to a workstation he pulled off a glove and rolled up a sleeve, dropping the forcefield. All of this would take time - rushing the process or cutting corners would only... Saladin narrowed his eyes. "How long were you going to stand there? I can hear your heart beat, you know."

Guillotine walked in, having been stood at the door. "I know what you're doing. It's dangerous. Whatever power is inside you should stay inside! If Bentham and Trowers are able to replicate Lionheart... you know as well as I do they would forge an invincible army that would form the basis of a thousand year reich! Their original plan of creating a PSI Corps in the here and now has been annexed, thanks to you. You are the glittering prize, the bomb waiting to go off. Or Lionheart is anyway. You are dead Saladin, leave it that way."

In a blur of motion Saladin was at the door, the girl hoisted off the floor by her throat encircled in a steel grip! Saladin lowered her with effortless strength, so they saw eye to eye, even though her feet dangled off the floor...

"Listen girl. You are nothing but a vat grown drone! You are one of the clones Trowers would set upon the world as his dog soldiers! I should snap your neck right... AGGH!!"

Saladin fell back clutching his head... He looked up, a changed expression on his face... "Guillotine... we must ... get him out... I can't... he's as strong as I am... like fighting uphill! Help me!"

Eyes widening, Guillotine gasped, rubbing her throat. She'd never felt so powerless as then, Saladins steel hard grasp still felt where the fingers had dug in! She looked at Lionheart, then nodded, moving over to the machines. With a quick glance about she turned. "Over here..."

Saladin walked over, composure regained. "Do not seek to order me girl! Remember your place, as King should remember his! I stand on the cusp of greatness, with one goal in mind! Trowers, Bentham and the others will die by my hand, and no other!"

Guillotine lowered her eyes, nodded, and set to work. She turned with a syringe, and Saladin glared at her before rolling up his sleeve. "And so it begins..." he smiled.

With a blood sample taken, Guillotine set it to being analysed in the advanced computers. "This will take time. Hours. Frostbite wanted me on the bridge... " she muttered.

Saladin looked at the computer running lines of code as it analysed his blood, then looked over at the chair with the brain scanning apparatus that would take a blue print of his mind, everything he knew and was. Yes, first Trowers and the others would fall. And then what? Weep, because there were no more worlds to conquer? He glanced at another screen that showed the status of the ship on a map. Smiling to himself, he turned to watch Guillotine walk to the exit. 'I know of at least one more world...' he thought to himself.

OOC It's going to take hours for the computer to decode Saladins blood into something it can reconstruct. If Trowers had the information in that computer... it'd be 'game changing' so to speak Smile

=========

The ship neared northern Europe...

"Scan indicates a squadron of flying vessels moving to intercept us. The Odin has been designated 'rogue'. Radio chatter shows all German metahuman squads on high alert. Several are en route to the camp, two operatives are there already. Should we engage the vessels or head straight to the camp?" asked the Robot. Then it turned, adding "More chatter. 'Eagle Day is go' has been issued. Long range scan indicates massed air traffic heading towards Britain. All airfields are active."

The Battle of Britain had begun...

OOC take on the incoming vessels or make for the camp? Plus Bletchley might need warning, and what will Frostbite do if Guillotine tells him of Saladins actions - unless Saladin has something to say to her as she's leaving.
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Steeple_jackuk Tue Oct 18 2011, 18:57

Saladin turned once again, to the pragmatic Guillotine as she left to head back to the bridge. "I am sorry..." He let the word hang their, this wasn't easy but right now he needed their help and he was in no mind to try and force them to get it. Hence deception, what else was there. "...It is so hard, I know I could give up. I should be dead. But in somehow finding a home, within King, we have both grown. But without a body of my own, I am not as I should be, and with me as a passenger, King isn't either. The strain, is great on us both..."

Saladin left things hanging in the air, better to say too little and imply more than say too much and he tip his hand. "You can tell Frostbite, if you feel he needs to know. But consider this, he is no fool, he knows why I cam an he himself has already said that he knows something must be done. That I expedite matters, well can you blame me for my impatience when I am so close. Think of two of us working for the British, won't that be a stick in the eye for our creator?"

Saladin turned back to the computer, he'd taken a risk, but what else could he do but in some bizarre way but tell the truth. Or one skewed favourable toward his own goals, in any case.

==============

Admin wrote:

The ship neared northern Europe...

"Scan indicates a squadron of flying vessels moving to intercept us. The Odin has been designated 'rogue'. Radio chatter shows all German metahuman squads on high alert. Several are en route to the camp, two operatives are there already. Should we engage the vessels or head straight to the camp?" asked the Robot. Then it turned, adding "More chatter. 'Eagle Day is go' has been issued. Long range scan indicates massed air traffic heading towards Britain. All airfields are active."

The Battle of Britain had begun...

Sitting back in the chair he'd grabbed, Frostbite massaged his temple, a long drawn out sigh helped ease the growing tension knotting up his upper shoulders.

Then concentrating he sent a message to Wynn. "Sir, it looks like we've succeeded on getting our ship swapped out for a new one and, no thanks to Saladin an extra one to boot. But by all accounts it looks like the Nazi's are preparing to attack from the air. We're getting scattered messages that indicate something big is coming. But there is more, Anyman is behind the lines liberating P'utinarian captives. We we're on route to join him when this news came through. What are you're orders sir?"

Going through Frostbites' mind was the earlier conversation he'd had with Guillotine about Fastback, but that would have to wait. Question was, where they flying into danger whichever way they went?

Sj
Steeple_jackuk
Steeple_jackuk
Cosmic Level

Back to top Go down

Post  smaug Wed Oct 19 2011, 08:00

OOC: The plot thickens. What if sentinel flew back with fastback, how long would it take with his 'rocket boots' or is there any 'pods' aboard the odin? Once there he could come back with renforcements if needed as well.......i know we have to be heroes and think of the bigger pucture, save the P'utinirians but cant we save both?

smaug

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Wed Oct 19 2011, 10:16

OOC At flight grade 1 speed from Poland to Bletchley Park. Hmmm. Let's ee. Off the top of my head, as the crow flies that's around 900 or so miles. By my reckoning (I assumed a round - 4 frames - to be 10 seconds) Grade 1 flight is - wait for it - 15mph flat out. It's almost embarrassing. I wonder what Simon Burley and Pete Haines were thinking when they came up with the scales for powers? Once more it shows GH/SQUK is firmly rooted in the street level end. Let's just say 30mph, because 15mph is running speed for any reasonably fit person. That'd be 30 hours straight flying without a stop, over enemy territory and assuming no one needs the toilet. Probably best to assume it's a no-no. HOWEVER the Dark Power (tm) always provides options... Grade 3 or 4 flight, say, and get as high as you can to glide down. The problem with the Dark Power - at the moment - is that it's a temporary boost so not meant for long range effects. Your call. Faster to travel at the speed of sound in the 'Odin' to drop you off in around an hour and a half or just over.

Troubled, Guillotine made her way to the bridge. She walked up to Frostbite and told him straight "Saladin intends to use the facilities here to grow a new body. I don't have to tell you that if Bentham and his people get hold of the data from Saladins' blood, they will be able to use it. I suggest your robot friend set up as many levels of encryption to the computer mainframes firewall as... " She looked at Frostbites blank face. "Tell your robot to set itself up as a firewall and to disconnect from ALL transmissions if anyone tries to hack into the 'Odins' systems." she sighed. She sagged into a seat. "I need to help Fastback, but Saladin and Lionheart need help too. Without medical assistance Fastback is going to... Oh." She stopped as she saw Frostbite silently mouthing the words to General Wynn back at Bletchley Park.

=========

People dashed this way and that, the war room was a pandemonium of motion!

Forbes and Dawson strode in, pausing to let a young woman dash past with a fistful of paper, flummoxed upon seeing the ranks that'd entered and throwing up a hasty salute. "At ease." said Dawson, looking about. His eyes alighted on General Wynn in the corner. Slobotham was next to him and the pair were watching the large table, a map of Britain overlaid on it and various flags pushed around by female officers as reports came in. The DICE commanders walked over and saw what appeared to be clouds of Nazi markers steadily being inched towards the coastline of Britain. Glancing at each other, they moved over to Wynn. "Air raid sirens are wailing. Looks like this is it old chap. Where the bloody hell are our supers?"

Wynn glanced at Dawson. "Hold on... I'm speaking to them..."

Forbes shivered, then added "Always gives me a shiver to know that gods walk among us..."

Slobotham snorted his tea, then smiled. "God? Wynny?" His smile faded. "God probably gets some rest after staying awake for days with a dicky ticker."

Wynn ignored them and spoke to Frostbite "Frostbite! Good to hear from you! We're in trouble old chap. My useless old body is packing up on me. I need to rest, then this happens! Our radar stations are picking up masses of Germans squadrons, but what's more worrying is that our spotters have reported seeing new and strange vessels - they don't show up on our radar at all! I hate to say it old chap, but Anyman needs to dig himself out of this mess. We need you back here, but I don't know even then what we can do. I'm stretched to use my Weather powers as a 'radar' of sorts, in tune with the wind to feel objects cutting through it, then I can update the maps as well as any radar. We're in deep Joe. If the Nazis are going for our airfields we'll try to stop them, but without the technology they posses and with you lot gallivanting off round Europe to free Aliens... let's put it this way. If the Nazis flatten our airfields our planes will be useless. That will leave them free to bomb the cities at will until we surrender, and that's assuming they don't invade first. Don't get me wrong though Joe. I'm not giving in without a fight! I can't call on the Dark power like you boys, but I can use the last of my strength to enhance a few more men and women! get back here son. That's not an order, but a request. If you don't there may not be much point in coming back at all..."

=========

Saladin watched the progress of the computers on the screen

It would take some time, decoding his DNA then synthesizing a new body based on that blueprint. In the meantime he lay back on the chair, turned to the distant console and flicked a switch telekinetically. A device dropped from the ceiling to lower down onto his head. Therein lie another problem. The scanner that would copy and transfer his brain patterns needed his full concentration - in other words no distractions. The slightest one could corrupt the data! That meant sleeping - and Lionheart would wrest control then!

With a curse he slapped a fist into his other hand. If Lionheart took control it would be his brainwaves that were copied! He considered sealing himself up in the lab but realised there were no barriers to Frostbite or the others - one could move through walls, the other would simply melt them. He would need their cooperation!
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Steeple_jackuk Wed Oct 19 2011, 22:25

Admin wrote:Get back here son. That's not an order, but a request. If you don't there may not be much point in coming back at all..."

Coming around from his reverie as Wynn's words echoed in his mind, Frostbite got up and instructed the Frostbot, "We've got fresh orders, get us back to Bletchley at top speed. Give her all you've got. Our friends are on their own for the time being."

Then Turning to Guillotine, he said, "I know what Saladin wants. And frankly if it means we get Lionheart back I want it to. But I am very aware of how risky it is. To be honest short of locking him away, the man is either going to get himself killed finding a way to do it, or force us to do it for him. He is ruthless, cold and absolutely determined and I'm not sure that is a basis for locking him away when we need all the help we can get."

Frostbite looked pained, he didn't like it nor did he feel that it was in anyway a neat solution, but in truth Saladin deserved to live out his life and if a body could be provided keeping him prisoner within Lionheart's mind seemed no less unfair that the way he currently held Lionheart in check within his own mind. The trouble was, could the find the time to get it done with all hell breaking loose over Britain?

========

Admin wrote:Saladin watched the progress of the computers on the screen

He considered sealing himself up in the lab but realised there were no barriers to Frostbite or the others - one could move through walls, the other would simply melt them. He would need their cooperation!

He felt frustrated, but withdrew his hand itself clenched ready to strike the desk in frustration. Getting up, he moved over to the door. A long look back at the lab and what he had to do, before he steeled himself and went for the lift and up to the control room.

Once there he looked across realising they were no longer heading for the camp. A moments glance at the monitors told him they were heading back to England. "Probably some emergency" He snorted his derision. But one look at Frostbite and a glance from a guilty looking Guillotine told him Frostbite didn't need to be able to read his mind, to know what he was thinking. He sighed.

Walking over, he opened his mouth about to say, "I need you help..." But the words never got out. Frostbite held up his hand, "I know what you want. And you probably realise I do anyway. I know you can't do this without some support, and I won't let you do it..." Saladin raised an eyebrow at this, but Frostbite ignored him, "...Until I can get some guarantees!"

"Guarantee's...what guarantee!" Saladin spat out the words, annoyed. Annoyed and fighting for control because in truth he'd expected little else.

Frostbite continued, "We help you get your body back, clone you, and transplant you're memory so Lionheart can return to us. But in return I want you to work with us. We want Bentham and the others to. They've got a lot to answer for. But you'll do this my way or else. Lionheart will break you hold and I gain if you wait. But I don't want him sleep walking his way through the next few weeks, whilst you fight him at every turn for control. So you get your body back, if I get your word you'll continue to serve the interest of her majesties armed forces and work with us?" Frostbite hoped that Saladin, whom he realised remained a cold enigma, was still a man of his word. He held out his hand...waiting for Saladin's response.

OOC: I thought I'd set things up here Paul, but perhaps its coming to a point when you ought to answer for Saladin. In truth I am kind pushing this, because I'd rather have Lionheart back now. I'm missing playing him and find Saladin a bit two dimensional.

Anyway I'm good if you want to sort this out, sooner rather than later or else just push things ahead and get on with the next steps.

Sj
Steeple_jackuk
Steeple_jackuk
Cosmic Level

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Thu Oct 20 2011, 00:46

The Odin changed course, the large screen showing red dots all over a superimposed map of Europe that represented clumps of bombers and fighters heading towards mainland Britain. France had fallen - Paris was occupied and it was all over bar the shouting, which several French Battalions were continuing to do.

Saladin considered his next move. He needed this ship and the facilities. Time was running out for him in this exhausted body and Lionheart would regain control whilst Saladin 'slept'. After that King would be ready for him, placing mental blocks and shields up that would make it nigh on impossible to regain control. He considered other options - attacking the Vanguard for one - but quickly dismissed them. With his power and speed he could take one of these 'heroes' down in a short time but when they called on that Dark power of theirs? He shuddered. For all his power - and Lionheart WAS powerful - he knew it was a drop in the ocean compared to what this lot could call on.

Finally he conceded defeat - for now. "Alright. I need this. In return I work with you and Lionheart to protect Britain. I have some reservations though, and King would agree with me, if he were here. If there comes a chance, an opportunity, to stop Bentham and Trowers, I must take it. Aside from personal reasons I feel that they are behind every move the Nazis make. Everything we have come across bears their stamp on it. Did the Nazis have the technology to get to the moon and start mining Lunarium? No. Trowers gave them that. Would the Nazis win the war without things being changed? History - our original history which only a few can remember - says not. You and your friends come from this time line, but let me tell you. The Nazis over reached with an attack on Russia in my time line. Having failed to conquer Britain then Russia, the end came soon after for Herr Hitler. Then things changed, and Germany won the war. Yes, gentlemen, if you... we cannot stop Trowers he will see to it that the Nazis win. Lionheart knows - he was there."

Saladin wasn't to know that the original Vanguardians had been there too, and that their personalities lay dormant inside Joe Hoskyn and Lance Allard, not to mention General Wynn. "So. I agree to your terms. If you agree to mine. We drop everything to stop Trowers? yes?"

=========

The ship flew high over the sea, avoiding potential confrontations...

Frostbot, plugged into the navigation computer, turned. "ETA 15 minutes"

OOC time has moved on - you are now 'in front' of Anyman and Sky Eagle

The constant scans revealed the size of the task facing the Vanguard. Hundreds of planes - most of them modified with technology from the future - sped across the channel towards the south coast. By the Robots' reckoning they were travelling at near twice the speed their capabilities suggested they could. Coupled to a longer range and greater bomb payload and it spelt trouble for the Allies!

Below, England spread out, unaware of the Blitz to come.

Finally, after nigh on two hours in the air, the Odin set down on the lawns of Bletchley Park manor as armed MPs rushed out to surround it. Though they'd sent advance warning, they took no chances, especially as the knowledge that shape changers could pass as anyone had been spread around.

Dawson, Forbes and Wynn waited on the lawns as the hatch dropped and the Vanguard disembarked. Forbes spoke up first, marching up to Frostbite. 'I should have you all bloody shot!" he shouted. Wynn rolled his eyes. "The bullets would bounce off." he added quietly. Forbes turned to glare at Wynn then back to Frostbite and Sentinel. "Going AWOL in a time of war is a court martial offence! You risked the lives of yourselves and countless others because of your gallivanting around..."

Wynn muttered "Yes, I'm sure they got that ship without any trouble whatsoever. And the fact we have another one as well is a moot point." Forbes whirled on Wynn. "I should have you court martialled as well! You put them up to this! You..."

The sky - quite literally - darkened to turn black overhead. Clouds boiled up from nowhere and lightning crackled to match Wynns' expression. The Old general leaned in close to Forbes. "Don't get me wrong laddie. I like you, and we're on the same side. But if you push me - or any of my team - you WILL feel our wrath! We are here because it's the right thing to do, but if need be we will cut DICE out of the loop completely! Now back down, before I do something I might regret..."

Forbes bristled, then marched off.

Wynn turned to Frostbite. "Get cleaned up and head to the war room. You have 20 minutes. The war has come to Britain." he glanced up at the sky, making the clouds steadily disperse, then left.

Dawson shook his head. "Good to have you back chaps. What happened to Fastback?" he asked as Guillotine wheeled her off on a stretcher. "We'll need a full report." Then he looked over at the Odin. "Good work, by the way. The Old ship served us well but she was battered beyond belief!" With a smile and pat on Frostbites shoulder he left as well whilst the support crew drew a large camouflage webbing over the ship.

OOC Feel free to butt in where needed. Your next task will be to help defend Britain, but the size of the task is monumental! I'm thinking we might switch to individual threads again.
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Steeple_jackuk Thu Oct 20 2011, 07:15

Admin wrote:Saladin wasn't to know that the original Vanguardians had been there too, and that their personalities lay dormant inside Joe Hoskyn and Lance Allard, not to mention General Wynn. "So. I agree to your terms. If you agree to mine. We drop everything to stop Trowers? yes?"

Frostbite, his hand still outstretched to his credit hesitated barely a moment before grasping Saladin's hand firmly.

=========

The ship flew high over the sea, avoiding potential confrontations...

Admin wrote:Dawson shook his head. "Good to have you back chaps. What happened to Fastback?" he asked as Guillotine wheeled her off on a stretcher. "We'll need a full report." Then he looked over at the Odin. "Good work, by the way. The Old ship served us well but she was battered beyond belief!" With a smile and pat on Frostbites shoulder he left as well whilst the support crew drew a large camouflage webbing over the ship.

Pulling Wynn aside Frostbite briefly filled him in, before finishing with, "She remains an incredibly brave soldier, but she cannot carry on. She is burning herself out. Besides which the shear nature of her power means she cannot do very much without the need for food and then she becomes a concern to us all as we have to constantly watch her. Its not her fault and I couldn't wish for a braver soul, just wish for her sake the power worked differently. I know she'll never forgive me for taking her out of the war, but we've no choice."

With a few parting words and a long glance from Guillotine to Saladin, Frostbite headed back to his poky dorm to get cleaned up and enjoy a shower, before heading to the briefing room, by way of the medical wing to check in on Fastback and the others.

OOC:

Ok Saladin will remain aboard the ship I guess, right now he needs to make sure no one gets near his information, he'll contact King and tell him of the deal he has made. And therefore is able to get his co-operation and as soon as is foreseeable he will set about getting himself scanned and cloned and be ready to uphold his side of the bargain.

OOC Feel free to butt in where needed. Your next task will be to help defend Britain, but the size of the task is monumental! I'm thinking we might switch to individual threads again.

Or not, if the task is big, then maybe working as a group is also good. But you're call mate, individual threads I think must be more work for you. But I'm easy ;-)

Sj
Steeple_jackuk
Steeple_jackuk
Cosmic Level

Back to top Go down

Post  smaug Thu Oct 20 2011, 21:18

OOC: If you want separate threads its fine by me, I always feel I let you guys down all the time anyway by not replying enough or we could carry on as we are after all silver sentinel after all is a man of few words.

IC: Silver sentinel followed fastback in doors until he was confident she was in capable hands then turned and looked to Dawson
"I think Im really now to be fully briefed on all the vanguards past.....er future I guess and the Harrys possible futures. Im tired of being left out of the loop....plus" sentinel lowered his voice "i dont trust Saladin and I need every scrap of Intel on him to give us a tactical advantage agaisnt him if he ever turns".
As sentinel walked deeper into the manor house sentinel also asked to bring him up to speed with any possible tec they might use in the field.....but not to tell the others.

OOC: You can just say that he is up to speed if its too much of a pain.

smaug

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Fri Oct 21 2011, 17:06

Dawson frowned. "Saladin? Isn't that the chap Lionheart was after? To be honest I don't the first thing about the fellow. Similar abilities to Lionheart I should think, which makes him dangerous! Why, what's Lionheart been up to? I know you lot are more a less a law unto yourselves but we really need to sort out some discipline with you lot! I don't know... wandering off without telling anyone..." he mutters, striding off to the Manor.

Fastback held Sentinels hand as he walked her up to the infirmary section, then saw her off as Guillotine went with the medical staff to ensure her condition was stabilised. Truth told, the facilities on the ship were far better than the near stone age implements inside the surgeons room, but Guillotine could quickly access those.

=========

Saladin/Lionheart, assured they'd be left alone, started the long process of copying his mind to the computers

The slightest interruption would mean having to start over, but the end result would be worth it. Exhaustion passed in a wave across Saladin, but he fought it, as he'd done for days. A glance at the birthing tubes showed that the DNA matrix was already creating the goop from which a new life would be born.

OOC Which is one way of saying Lionheart will be out of the loop for a while, but with a bit of luck you'll see results at the end of it.

=========

Half an hour later the heroes, washed, dressed and with a bite to eat, gathered in the war room

Forbes had, by now, calmed down. He recognised that the superhumans were resources they couldn't do without and their foolhardy mission had captured two extremely valuable resources in the form of the ships, albeit with one still in Poland with Anyman. First though, he couldn't help but state "Know this. We appreciate all you do. The risks and sacrifices you take go above and beyond anything we could ask of anyone. No one knows the peril you face but yourselves - it's as far beyond our comprehension as the fact that men and women can fly, disappear and toss tanks about. Even seeing what you do makes me doubt my sanity. That said, you CANNOT go off gallivanting around the globe without thinking of the consequences! What would have happened had the ship been destroyed with all on board? Where would that leave the people of Britain?" He sighed, then added "Thank you anyway. Idiots. Right then. Radar picked up HUGE numbers of Nazi aircraft heading north to Britain. The speed at which they are travelling is staggering - twice as fast as our spitfires, and that includes the bombers."

Frostbite and Sentinel glanced at one another - that mean they were using alien or futuristic technology.

"We can't match their speed. Our RAF boys will do what they can, but we're hamstrung if we can't use that ship you captured - the Odin? Plus we have to keep those lizard robots on board - they'd smash through any prison we have! And now you tell me of some experiment Lionheart is running that means we can't use the ship? Alright..." he sighed. "The PM has been screaming at me down the phone to get you lot in the air and fighting the Nazi menace. Wynn is near dead on his feet for going without sleep and I've ordered him to rest, though god knows we need his weather predicting powers." Forbes looked at the clock. "Slobotham will wake him in an hour, poor chap." Forbes and Dawson looked like they needed sleep too, despite the constant streams of tea a female officer poured into their cups.

"Our problems are legion."

World War II - The Vanguard Issue #4a - All aboard the Odin! - Page 3 Bo_B_montage

"They have more planes, better armed and faster. In addition to that they are using those metal craft similar to the ones you captured. Our bullets ping off, and the flak fire is mysteriously diverted away by some kind of field. In addition to that they will utilise those soldiers with jet packs, and the ever present danger of the superhumans. We know they'll be looking to hit our air fields. That means a two pronged assault - bomb the runways then attack with troops to kill ground crew and sabotage planes and equipment. Orders are to fight to the last man, and Churchill has been spouting off to keep spirits up, but there's only so much he can do. We can put you in planes to get you into the fight, but the Vanguard is at half strength with Lionheart and Anyman out of the picture. I'd rather not mention the Justiciars - Wynn is somehow able to track their progress and he states most of them are dead. With every death it drains something from him. The man is nigh on flat out on his feet!"

Forbes ran a hand through his hair and tossed his pen onto the table.

World War II - The Vanguard Issue #4a - All aboard the Odin! - Page 3 BOB_montage_2

"What can you do when they outnumber our planes, in some cases, by 20 to one?"

OOC In the Battle Of Britain the Spitfires would fly up to 7 sorties in one day and were outnumbered by up to 20 to 1. At one point near on 2,000 german planes blackened the skies and pilots would be flying in their pyjamas if need be! Aside from British pilots, some were drawn from the commonwealth and various European countries, with 3 from America. By October 31st after 114 days of aerial combat, Germany conceded defeat having lost 1733 aircraft and 3893 men. The RAF had lost 828 planes and 1007 men, but effectively saved Britain from Invasion. In our timeline the Nazis intend to do it faster, harder, more effectively.

The team had a number of options. Join the fight against the planes by going up in a spitfire and bailing out to engage planes with their powers, concentrate on defending the major airfields from bombs and ground attack, use the Odin to join in the fight, or call on their own Dark Power to aid them, with all the risks that brought. There were other options - they'd met various entities in the course of their adventures. Might it be time to beg of them a favour and enlist their aid?

Frostbite recalled the Atlanteans, the mysterious Shadow Demon who wore the beautiful womans form, and Lionheart had contacts in the Antarctic from his adventures.

Dawson sagged into a chair. "The alternative is waiting and seeing if our chaps can fight them off."

His words went unanswered as a fresh wave of German bombers entered the map at the south edge, heading over the channel...

OOC you're still in a team game, so give me an idea on how you'd tackle the menace of an attack from the skies. I realise it's somewhat overwhelming - think on how the RAF thought and fought back then... Then multiply the threat thanks to the uprated planes, space craft, superhumans and jet pack wearing soldiers... No one said being a hero was easy...
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Steeple_jackuk Sat Oct 22 2011, 09:35

Admin wrote:His words went unanswered as a fresh wave of German bombers entered the map at the south edge, heading over the channel...

OOC you're still in a team game, so give me an idea on how you'd tackle the menace of an attack from the skies. I realise it's somewhat overwhelming - think on how the RAF thought and fought back then... Then multiply the threat thanks to the uprated planes, space craft, superhumans and jet pack wearing soldiers... No one said being a hero was easy...

OOC: Ermm I'm a bit unsure of what to do here, let me explain as I am not sure from the options you've mentioned where any but one of them is a goer anyway.

1. Lionheart is out of action for however and who knows how long. Actually in game terms I'd like to know how long this is going to be, because we could do with him right now? n any case I'm thinking that getting him to the Arctic and back whilst we are presently being bombed would require very fast transport (even the Odin would take hours and do we have hours?) and the time to gather - what exactly? Since the factions are at a stalemate, what could we get that they've got that they'd be willing to share without compromising the peace and get it sufficiently quick to get it back. Unless I am missing something here that I've overlooked.

2. The Atlanteans are off limits as the way we left it suggested that firstly they've no power or ability to breath above water and secondly even if they did the war doesn't mean anything to them and thirdly what could they attack with - in the air?

3. The Shadows, deal with the devil, and would they fight their own forces; after all even if Trowers and Bentham aren't working at their behest, others are, and the general chaos and fighting they must love. But of all the options (again unless I'm going off on the wrong foot here) this is the one that strikes me as most possible. The shadows know that short term gains, means long term problems. If all our forces are destroyed so with it is their hope of fending off the Annihilator of worlds (ahem, Galacticustm - right?) Perhaps with them lies our best chance of getting the Nazi's off our backs on the basis that this is one enemy we need to fight together or we fall together.

Ok so, if that is the only legitimate option I'll need to talk to my own Shadow and the others about contacting them and finding out what they can do. In the meantime, I think once we've done this Sentinel and I taking up different positions over the UK to meet the forces against us head on and yes calling on the dark power to destroy or turn back as many as is possible, with the real possibility we'd loose control all over again to the Dark Power within - again hoping that the present need to stop this will help control the power whilst we might need to use it.

Ok so feel free to correct me here Paul, as I might sound doom ladened here (and that would be because I am) but I'm wanting to make sure I understand where we're coming from and what our options might actually be.

Sj
Steeple_jackuk
Steeple_jackuk
Cosmic Level

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Sat Oct 22 2011, 13:54

OOC The advanced technology on board the Odin has it's limits, but would dwarf anything we have in 2011. So let's say a day and a half for Lionheart to transfer his brain to the computer, and a week for a new body to grow. Then it will take a roll. Did all go well? Go wrong in some way? The shorter the time you allow for the process to work, the higher chance of failure or something going badly, badly wrong (Dark Lionheart anyone?). If you leave it longer, the chance for a successful transfer will increase. That'd be your call - Lionheart as is remains the most powerful member of the Vanguard. You could abandon the process now to bring him out to fight but I can imagine he wouldn't be happy...

The Atlanteans may not be able to help in the air but they can breathe out of water with fishbowl helmets full of sloshing water Razz Brokering a deal with them might ensure the main scourge of the Nazis in WWII around Britain - the U-Boats - stay away. That said, it won't help with your current predicament so you have a point, but it remains an option I though I should remind you of - they can swim faster than you can fly and they owe you, plus each Atlantean is superhuman strong, fast and durable compared to a human. It's an option at some point.

The Shadows are lapping this war up. Fighting in Britain with the terror of air raids and the Blitz even if the Battle of Britain is won is where it's at, seeing as though Paris has fallen and only De Gaulle holds out (whom Sky Eagle is on the way to rescue). It's a bit like getting to a place you need to enter and finding there's a really nasty dog in the way. Then using a tiger from the zoo to clear the dog away - you know the thing is going to turn on you, just don't know when. It remains a very powerful option though. The Shadows use up human hosts for fun, and they are more powerful as a result, but nowhere near as long lived. Plus their taste for picking the best looking people means they don't just take Fred or Edith from the local housing estate, so they don't have an unlimited supply of hosts nearby. They see their source of food (humans) threatened and some (not all, this is a 'faction' of the Demons who can see a form of sense) grudgingly offer an alliance but again - it's that two pronged blade. The Shadow Demons are your enemies, period. So, keep your friends close, your enemies closer, or go it alone? Tricky one that.

The PSI Agents you captured on board the Odin are another option. Freed of the machine that Sentinel melted, are they tools you can utilise or potential traitors? How much do you trust Spartan, Boadicea, Guillotine? There's the Skrall Cyborgs too. They are deactivated and sleeping right now. There are dozens on the ship, each one nigh on bulletproof and solid fighters. Anything you can do with them? Guillotine and Frostbot are your people there, trying to reprogram them.

Or make a deal with the Devil - Anyman is trying to free the P'utinarians, the final piece of the jigsaw that will see the shape shifting aliens come to your side. What about the Skrall? They are allies of the Nazis, but they want the Lunarium. If you were to somehow get hold of a reasonably sized supply and... wait... what's that you say? Anyman just found a huge chunk in Poland? And he fell down the well Lassie? His shoelace tripped him? (Sorry couldn't resist - my head is all over the shop as I finished work at 6pm, been in bed 5 hours and head spinning...)

Options, Options.

The Battle of Britain took 114 days for the Nazis to admit defeat. This is day one - even if the Nazis bomb the heck out of the airfields their losses will be huge. Their planes are faster/have a longer range but the spitfires are more manoeuvrable. Things are bleak but History shows that's when heroes show their true mettle, and the RAF in WWII were heroes.

So are the Vanguard.

Oh, another option. Wynn (Stormwarden) is exhausted now, but getting him to change the weather will dramatically alter what happens. Summer in 1940 was glorious, history tells us, despite the Battle of Britain. Wynn might be able to make it more miserable, but much safer... Or you guys with the Dark Power and Weather Control grade 3. You still won't be as good at it as Wynn, but can affect certain areas of the map and funnel the Nazi planes as they avoid hurricane winds, huge hail, freezing snow... The Dark Power allows you to do all this stuff - the limits are your imagination and those pesky dice.

Over to y'all...

Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  smaug Sat Oct 22 2011, 20:27

OOC: Bloody hell, options, options, options.
I think slowing down or stopping the U boats with the atlanteans are a must.
Regards the planes......our aircraft are far too slow so is sentinel for that matter, even if there is some way to speed him up (upgrade is boosters or transport him) it would take hours and properly some would slip past costing lives but with out being big headed I think he might be one of the best bets to wipe those planes out making them drop out the sky in to the ocean like stones.

So is there no way of 'connecting' sentinel to the AA defences via the dark power or future tec or using a series of psi's and put up a 'wall' in front of the enemy aircraft in the attempt to knock them out of the sky.......i would think that would be using the dark power to flight sentinel into the fray and turn him into a metal morphing EMP, that'll weaken him so much it'll properly kill him even with the dark shadows helping him.

Just brain storming

smaug

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 8 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next