The Vanguard Play by Post Roleplaying Game
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

RUBY CITY DEFENDERS! Issue #1 - Requiem for a hero...

3 posters

Page 2 of 10 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Go down

RUBY CITY DEFENDERS! Issue #1 - Requiem for a hero... - Page 2 Empty Re: RUBY CITY DEFENDERS! Issue #1 - Requiem for a hero...

Post  DavidMcMahon Thu Oct 15 2020, 09:42

Lightning Bullet drops behind the drunk.  "Hey!  Would you be interested in knowing that there is something interesting happening right now at one of the warehouses in the dock area?  I'm thinking of seeing what I can flush out there.  About a dozen guys are involved.  You wanna stay here and watch the diner or stagger over to the docks to see what I flush out?"

"Oh!  And if you ever hear me yell out, "SNAP!", close your eyes as I am about to blast out with a blinding light." [Flash]

He gives directions to the particular warehouse.

ooc:  "block" is a really amorphous word.  The "traditional" block is a 1/10th of a mile on each side.  So ten bloacks equaled 1 mile.  Once you get out of the old eastern cities, "block" can mean something much bigger or smaller.  So whatever you feel is right.  Since Ruby City is a new growing city, I doubt they have the old traditional blocks, especially if the area is hilly, the streets would wind instead of being laid out straight.
DavidMcMahon
DavidMcMahon
Cosmic Level

Back to top Go down

RUBY CITY DEFENDERS! Issue #1 - Requiem for a hero... - Page 2 Empty Re: RUBY CITY DEFENDERS! Issue #1 - Requiem for a hero...

Post  andyman Sat Oct 17 2020, 19:19

The drunk nods and starts quietly mumbling the following Rice Krispies jingle, as he stumbles toward the payphone, so he can eavesdrop on the leather jacket guy's call to Denny.

andyman
andyman
Class 2 Hero (Low level superhuman)

DavidMcMahon likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Mon Oct 19 2020, 10:56

Captain Conduit/Drunk Guy stumbles over to a payphone and makes a fumbling mess of reaching for coins to pump into it whilst listening.

Lightning Bullet takes off and heads for the warehouse he mentions, his diminutive size making him tricking to spot against the clouds and sky above.

At the payphone...

OOC Perception check!

Int 6 + Roll(2d12)+0: 9,10,+0 Total:19 (25) vs
OV4 + Roll(2d12)+0: 4,6,+0 Total:10 (14)
+5 (to 9 EV) vs RV4=5 RAPs

1) The guys work for someone called Joe Boston
2-3) Joe Boston is a local tough guy who used to be a boxer from the sounds of it, and doesn't take kindly to anyone muscling in on his business of bossing over the local muscle
4-6) The protection racket round here is run by Joe Boston among others and he works for someone else, someone bigger and yet to be revealed. Other names that crop up are someone called 'Stick' or 'Shtique'. It seems there are a number of people with interests in the docklands area among others.

Fumbling about in the smelly payphone cubical floor area he watched as the dock workers move away, smoking and looking about shiftily.

==========

Lightning Bullet watched the warehouse he'd targeted and saw through a skylight... people moving boxes about.

Loading lorries, moving other crates, calling out, working, shouting, laughing... nothing much to be seen here. At daytime anyway. A foreman scowled as he chewed on a cigar and made sure his cheap hired labour was doing what his paltry wages paid them to do.

Out back however...

"Get dem boxes moved! We don't have long!" said a tough looking guy with a pistol tucked into his belt. Putting two and two together Lightning Bullet figured the foreman - who was being paid to reorganise the warehouse with cheap labour - was directing certain boxes and crates to the back then banging on the door... where the goons at the back would open the loading door and start loading into a truck. Whatever was in the crates must be of some value for them to be interested in this way, but LB figured it might be small fry. Could that lead to a bigger fish somewhere? He also wondered how his new partner was getting on.

RUBY CITY DEFENDERS! Issue #1 - Requiem for a hero... - Page 2 Tables_draft_v2_higher_resRUBY CITY DEFENDERS! Issue #1 - Requiem for a hero... - Page 2 Combat-Maneuver-stuff
Admin
Admin
Admin

https://darkeningshadows.darkbb.com

Back to top Go down

Post  DavidMcMahon Mon Oct 19 2020, 13:55

Lightning Bullet plans to stay hidden and follow the truck when it leaves.  He hopes to find his partner so CC can go with him, when the time comes.
DavidMcMahon
DavidMcMahon
Cosmic Level

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Mon Oct 26 2020, 18:24

OOC I'll move LB on. Andy may be juggling personal life/work etc so the two characters should adventure separately for the time being until things settle down. Watch for an update (all being well tonight, reading through the other games and seeing where I need to be/what I need to cook up besides simply posting. Plenty of work goes on in the background y'know! one day I will gather all the characters I've statted up into one PDF)

RUBY CITY DEFENDERS! Issue #1 - Requiem for a hero... - Page 2 Tables_draft_v2_higher_resRUBY CITY DEFENDERS! Issue #1 - Requiem for a hero... - Page 2 Combat-Maneuver-stuff
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  andyman Mon Oct 26 2020, 21:37

Once he's sure no one is looking, Fred heads back to his car and drives to the dock that Lightning Bullet pointed out. He exits the car, still in his hobo costume, but sticks a handheld electric drill in his coat pocket. If anyone messes with him, he can pretend it's an electro-shock weapon.

RUBY CITY DEFENDERS! Issue #1 - Requiem for a hero... - Page 2 Wolf-cub-1950s-electric-drill_360_908985e4dd1ff4bc9082541fdaf5b1a5

When he is a safe distance from his car, Fred starts singing, "That's Amore!" to get the attention of his 'partner'.

Last edited by andyman on Mon Oct 26 2020, 22:46; edited 1 time in total
andyman
andyman

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Mon Oct 26 2020, 22:27

OOC Aha, Lightning Bullet your 'partner' (aka drunken guy with a drill in his pocket) stumbles from a car signing 'That's Amore'

Lightning Bullet watches the lorry being loaded when he sees a car drive up a couple of streets away from his vantage point and the drunken hobo he knew to be his partner stumble from the vehicle, sway about and start singing out of tune.

Some workers loaded crates of fruit and veg into a waiting vans and pickups laughed, joked and pointed at the drunk as he staggered along but otherwise ignored him, mindful that any slacking would get the ire of foremen.

With his diminutive size Lightning Bullet felt sure that he would not be noticed were he to make contact as Captain Conduit/hobo guy stumbled past an alleyway end...

Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  DavidMcMahon Tue Oct 27 2020, 13:24

Hiding in the alleyway and waiting for his partner to show up, when he finally got close ...

"I'm following that truck,' giving quick description and license plate.  "Think we got some illegal goods in there.  You coming with me?"
DavidMcMahon
DavidMcMahon
Cosmic Level

Back to top Go down

Post  andyman Wed Oct 28 2020, 00:14

"I'll follow in my car...discretely," the bum says. "I think I've got some CB radios in my trunk. Probably should have brought them instead of my drill, but I'll get ya one next time around. Unless you want a ride?" Fred then heads back to his car, with or without the diminutive superhero.
andyman
andyman

Back to top Go down

Post  DavidMcMahon Wed Oct 28 2020, 03:50

"No, I will fly overhead at a distance, thanks," Lightning Bullet replies.
DavidMcMahon
DavidMcMahon
Cosmic Level

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Fri Oct 30 2020, 13:22

The pair follow at a discrete distance, one in the car, the other in the air moving from rooftop to rooftop to stay out of sight.

A car followed between Captain Conduit/Bum in disguise and had several goons/enforcers in it, no doubt keeping an eye on the merchandise in the truck and making sure no one waylaid it.

The truck/car headed towards the outskirts of the city, towards... where? A place up in the hills?

OOC How far do you guys want to follow this thing? Want to stop and question anyone?

Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  DavidMcMahon Fri Oct 30 2020, 18:37

ooc:  Hard top or canvas top truck?  Diving from above, LB should be able to land on the roof and listen to any conversations.
DavidMcMahon
DavidMcMahon
Cosmic Level

Back to top Go down

Post  andyman Sat Oct 31 2020, 02:58

If Fred follows these crooks out of the city too long, they will become suspicious of his vehicle. Once an opportunity presents itself, Mr. Aster pulls over to park his car in a safe, secluded spot and changes into his Captain Conduit costume. For good measure, he clips a pair of walkie talkies to his belt. Once Cap is sure the coast is clear, the hero emerges from his car and flies in the direction the vehicle was going. When he spots it again, he'll do his best to follow stealthily until he can make out where they are all going.
andyman
andyman

Back to top Go down

Post  DavidMcMahon Sun Nov 01 2020, 12:35

Two hours of driving out of town is as far as LB is willing to go before doing something like getting into the back of the truck and seeing what is in there.
DavidMcMahon
DavidMcMahon
Cosmic Level

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Mon Nov 02 2020, 09:48

The truck - a hard top - is too noisy and bouncy to stay atop of or listen into for long. Lightning Bullet had a form of super hearing but listening to the new fangled music coming out of the AM Radio in the truck got old, fast...

OOC Apparently Rock and Roll wasn't coined for the type of music until 1954, a year on from where we are...

The truck continued and Fred Aster pulled his car over, seeing it head into the hills. With a quick change and pulling some (hefty) ex military walkie talkies (OOC I can imagine they would be huge in the 50s, was a while before things started shrinking I think?) and took to the sky.

Despite the truck and car having a continuous lengthening of range as Aster had taken time out he was able to catch them flying at top speed as the crow flew so to speak and soon saw the truck winding up into the hills on a twisty mountain road.

Curious, he looked ahead and saw... A large house, surrounded by a wall and with a number of outbuildings. A farm? Not likely on a hillside. The place looked expensive and someone with money living out here was either self made or made their money from ill gotten gains.

On top of the truck Lightning Bullet glanced over his shoulder to see a dot in the sky following at distance. Looked like the 'bum' had left him and there were now two supers on the case!

Turning back to follow the trail of the road ahead he saw a ten foot wall around a house and outbuildings, with a gate on the road and a couple of goons sat about, rising to their feet when the truck approached.

At his size - if he stayed down - they probably wouldn't see him on the roof.

The Truck started to slow towards the gate. The car behind overtook and squealed steadily to a halt besides the guys guarding the entrance.

OOC How far back are you guys staying? Captain Conduit is about a 1/4 mile back, Lightning Bullet is on the truck roof. The truck and car looked to be about to enter this compound.

Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  DavidMcMahon Mon Nov 02 2020, 19:07

Unless there is some kind of guard tower that lets someone see the top of the truck, LB is going to stay on top and keep low.
DavidMcMahon
DavidMcMahon
Cosmic Level

Back to top Go down

Post  andyman Mon Nov 09 2020, 00:02

Captain Conduit lands nearby with his 1953 walkie talkies...

RUBY CITY DEFENDERS! Issue #1 - Requiem for a hero... - Page 2 8330e4dd3a486a2b810c18550b68715e

While watching the "Richie Rich" compound from a safe distance, he tries to figure out if he can relay a message to one of the radios by matching the band, using his own powers.
andyman
andyman

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Mon Nov 09 2020, 09:07

OOC I suspect those walkie talkies weren't that effective at $1 for a pair!!!

Captain Conduit's powers weren't advanced enough to transmit or receive electrical or radio signals yet. He wondered whether he might be able to fine tune them or practise hard in order to refine or redirect his abilities but that would take time. For now?

He watched the truck move forward and with the diminutive hero laying low on top! There wasn't any kind of 'spotter tower' and he was reasonably confident no one was watching from the upper floors of the great house.

In the driveway/courtyard of the compound a number of people started to gather, mostly ruffians who looked like they were used to brawling first and talking it out later. Someone strode from the house. This guy was different.

A hulking brute, some six and a half feet tall and almost as wide, dressed in a made to measure suit and with a face that even a mother couldn't love under close cropped hair with a few scars, he growled as he marched to the trucks rear. The goons seemed frightened of him, even given they were considered tough in their neighbourhood!

"Did ya get em? If they ain't enough... all I can say is out here there's no one ta hear ya screams..." growled the big man.

"Ya don't scare us!" said one of the toughs, pulling a .38 out and pointing it at the big mans back!

The big man grinned, then spun, grabbing a huge meaty fist around the gun! Then it went off!

A muffled bang caused everyone to fall back, but was drowned out by the man's scream as a CRUNCH! caught the weapon up with the man's hand! The giant grinned and dusted his hand off - with the flattened slug falling away - as the tough with the gun fell back, his mangled hand intertwined with the crushed up gun!

"Tell ya again. If they ain't the right number here... I'll be crunchin' up worse than hands!" growled the big guy.

Captain Conduit couldn't hear the exchange but heard the gunshot! Lightning Bullet saw the toughs quickly set to with unloading crates and boxes from the rear of the truck!

The big man looked about, menace in his glare and pointed to what looked like a large storage shed with a couple of suited goons stood by.

OOC You may need to make a stealth check to remain hidden Lightning Bullet. Captain Conduit you are too far away to see or hear anything of note or interest. Want to sneak closer to the wall, or even fly up/around the compound to come at the place from a different direction?

Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  DavidMcMahon Mon Nov 09 2020, 13:49

Seeing a gun pulled and used, Lightning Bullet was convinced that this wasn't just a group of tough looking rowdies but actual criminals committing a crime.  But what crime he wondered.  One way to find out, well, actually more than one but he liked the one he wanted to do knowing he had a partner backing him up.

He stood up quickly and flew to the crate furthest from the Big Man to see what was in it by punching it with his Lightning Fist, trying to blow the top off, not smash it.

As he unleashed his attack, it dawned on him that if it was nitro or some kind of unstable explosive, he might have just blown himself up.

ooc:  Doubt that since they would have the crates in some kind of padded cradle for the rough ride out here but you know, the things that go through your head when you go into danger.   rabbit
DavidMcMahon
DavidMcMahon
Cosmic Level

Back to top Go down

Post  andyman Tue Nov 10 2020, 03:03

For a dollar, a kid could get a half-a-dozen packs of cigarettes instead of this toy. Fred then puts it away on his belt when he hears the gunshot. He them moves closer on foot, holding his cape in from him because it is dark and protective. Hopefully, the shot means no-one will be looking for someone lurking closer to the fence.
andyman
andyman

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Wed Nov 11 2020, 16:20

OOC Does anyone notice Lightning Bullet as he makes his move...?

Highest Int 5 + Roll(2d12)+0: 3,12,+0 Total:15 (20) vs
Shrunk OV 3 (APs of power) + 2D Thief + Roll(4d12)+0: 11,1,6,6,+0 Total:12 DOUBLE plus Roll(2d12)+0: 5,7,+0 Total:24 (27) No one notices him!

Making his move by the best route that his skill at Stealth suggests, Lightning Bullet flies across to a box which is as far as possible from the big fellow who ignored the bullet!

The wooden crate would have to be hit just right to avoid blowing it - and whatever was inside - to smithereens. However, it wouldn't be quiet, and a bright lightning flash will be noticed by someone!

OOC Lightning 9 + Roll(2d12)+0: 7,8,+0 Total:15 (24) vs
OV2 (Crate body) + trick Shot 4 + Roll(2d12)+0: 7,4,+0 Total:11 (17)
+4 (to 13) vs RV2=11 RAPs. Success.

FWASH!

"WHA...?" spluttered one guard. Another pulled a pistol. The big man looked over "What was that?" he bellowed as he started striding over followed by the goons...

Lightning Bullet had seconds... and looked inside to find... a box of straw? His punch had been accurate enough to smash the top off without igniting the straw! Grabbing handfuls (he was tiny, after all) he removed the soft packing material to reveal... glassware?

It was yellow or green for the most part and consisted of bowls, plates, vases... All this? Over glassware?

=========

Captain Conduit heard the 'FWASH!' of Lightning Bullets might punch and saw the men in the compound head for a pile of crates...

If Lightning Bullet had been discovered he was soon about to find out if that big fellow could do more than ignore bullets, plus there were a group of armed goons hot on his heels!

CC was able to get to the wall of the compound without being seen because the guards in the compound had been distracted by the crack of wood and the bright flash as the superhero used his abilities to break the crate open.

=========

Lightning Bullet might be able to carry one or two of these items with his hands so small but it would be a balancing act - assuming he wanted to snatch them anyway, but what would be the point? He could go to a homeware store and buy dinnerware!

He knew the group of goons would round the crate and see him in a few seconds though, and chances were they would see a small flying man!!!

Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  DavidMcMahon Wed Nov 11 2020, 16:47

Glassware? Maybe some kind of code etched in them? Atomic secrets Commies were trying to steal from the country? Valuable antique glassware? This needed investigating.

He ducked behind the crate, putting it between him and the approaching men, and when most of them got close enough but not so close to see him crouched there, he would jump out and use his flash power on them. Then grab a couple of the smaller glassware and fly away. That's his plan anyway.
DavidMcMahon
DavidMcMahon
Cosmic Level

Back to top Go down

Post  andyman Sat Nov 14 2020, 17:19

After making sure no one is looking in his direction, Captain Conduit flies over the fence and back down behind something that can give him cover and he can hide behind. He then looks around for a power box or security system controls. If he can short either of them out, it just might give his new little buddy the distraction he needs.
andyman
andyman

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Mon Nov 16 2020, 09:22

Captain Conduit 'hopped' over the wall and looked about, seeing what looked to be an electricity supply/control box for the large compound in the shadow of an outbuilding.

Swooping over whilst everyone else was running to surround the diminutive hero, he points a finger at the box, thinking to open it up then figures 'fry the whole thing' so he clamped a hand on either side and ...

OOC lightning 8 + Roll(2d12)+0: 3,12,+0 Total:15 (23) vs
OV4 + Roll(2d12)+0: 1,1,+0 Total:2 FAILED OV ZERO
+7 (to 15) vs RV4=11 RAPs. Success. And then some.

Lightning Bullet readied his flash when suddenly ...

BANG! POP! SMASH! TINKLE!

Every lightbulb in the place, where inside or floodlight like outside instantly exploded, as did all the interior stuff like record players, radios, washing machine and the like...

"What the hell?" spluttered the big man, spinning about. "You! Sort that out! Find out what's going on! I'll deal with..."

He rounded the box and ... no one there. Glancing about, then back at the great house, the big man growls and turns to look around. Someone had been here. He didn't like anyone messing with his stuff... "Whoever you are... I'll find you." he snarled, to no one in particular as guards and goons ran around the place, trying to find out if they were under attack or something had happened.

=========

Captain Conduit saw a brief flash as Lightning Bullet let him know where he was half a mile or so from the compound. Only someone looking from the air would see it and so when the hero swooped down the diminutive Lightning Bullet stepped out from cover.

There had been shouts, rants and running guards all over the compound but none had been looking up - to where Captain Conduit had taken to the sky and swooped off.

Now the pair looked at Lightning Bullet's ill gotten gain.

RUBY CITY DEFENDERS! Issue #1 - Requiem for a hero... - Page 2 Uranium-glassware

A jug???

Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  DavidMcMahon Mon Nov 16 2020, 20:10

"Well, this makes no sense," Lightning Bullet grumped to Captain Conduit. "There's no way that big gorilla was so violent towards his men for a jug. It doesn't look like it is an antique. Maybe there is a hidden message or microdot or something in it? Let me look it over more closely."

actions: Use microscopic, ultra vision and sharp eye to look it over. If nothing, then create light using Flash to shine light through it onto some flat rock and see if that reveals anything. And if none of that works, hand it to CC and let him have a go at it.
DavidMcMahon
DavidMcMahon
Cosmic Level

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 10 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next