The Vanguard Play by Post Roleplaying Game
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

RUBY CITY DEFENDERS! Issue #1 - Requiem for a hero...

3 posters

Page 1 of 10 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Go down

RUBY CITY DEFENDERS! Issue #1 - Requiem for a hero... Empty RUBY CITY DEFENDERS! Issue #1 - Requiem for a hero...

Post  Admin Tue Sep 29 2020, 10:30

RUBY CITY Dateline 1953

The cop chewed on a cigar, frowning then cupping his hands to light it up. A man in his forties his suffered from the usual - too much drink, not enough sleep and battling ulcers as well as a mounting work load. Joe Conway sighed and turned back to the crime scene, looking about.

The guy had fallen from the rooftop some thirty feet up. The factory seemed empty but someone had been there judging by the dusty scuffs on the floor and places where boxes and machines had stood, the outlines marked by aged marks on the floorboards.

The cops were around him, a forensics guy taking a picture of the scene and others taping it off.

"Detective!" called a female voice. Great. He turned. "Jenna Jones. Why am I not surprised? How is it you turn up to all these things almost as fast as I do?"

"Gee Conway, you must know I follow you around with love in my eyes." she said, batting her pretty eyelids.

"Huh, mouthy dolls like you should be on some rich guys' arm and clammed up, lookin pretty. Go home Jones." growled Detective Conway.

"Bills to pay, a story to tell Conway! What's the story here? A cape took a dive off a roof?" replied Jones, straining to get a closer look from the police line.

"What do your 'journalist instincts' tell you Jones?" he replied, tipping his hat back and glancing to the nearby cop with a nod. He let the reporter through the police line and she approached, looking about.

The boy was dressed in a dark costume, cape covering most of it. A pool of blood spread beneath the body. "Not too close." said Conway. The police photographer cast an admiring glance at the flash of leg as the pretty young woman crouched and her skirt slid up.

"Hmmm. Fall didn't kill him. Gunshot wound. Who is he?"

"Some guy called himself DarkRaven. We've had dealings before an' I warned him he was up against nasty guys. Seemed he didn't listen. Had a beef against mobsters and it looks like they weren't too keen on him."

"We don't have many capes in Ruby City."

"Got one less now. You ask me, some of these guys are way out of their depth. Pistols ain't no match fer machine guns."

"What about the supers?"

"Super? Does he look super ta you? Far as I know he was some kind of gymnast, knew a few boxing moves and could shoot straight. Don't make 'im any more super'n you or me. You wear a cape Jones?" he asked, raising an eyebrow.

She chuckled and rose, looking the Detective in the eye. "I might do at this rate if you flatfoots can't keep the streets safe!"

Conway chuckled, shaking his head. "Wait fer the report kid, we got more cleanup ta do. You hear anything, you come straight ta me, right?"

"You scratch my back Conway, I'll scratch yours..." she smiled, which slipped as she glanced at the dead hero.

Watching them go the Police Photographer chuckled "Gee boss, she is one feisty dame! Wouldn't mind takin her particulars though!"

"Get on wid ya job." growled Conway and he turned back to the crime scene...

RUBY CITY DEFENDERS! Issue #1 - Requiem for a hero... Ruby-City-Adventure-1

Admin
Admin
Admin

https://darkeningshadows.darkbb.com

Back to top Go down

RUBY CITY DEFENDERS! Issue #1 - Requiem for a hero... Empty Re: RUBY CITY DEFENDERS! Issue #1 - Requiem for a hero...

Post  Admin Tue Sep 29 2020, 10:41

LIGHTNING BULLET

Max Dane frowned. The experiment hadn't worked and he looked about. Leaving it for a couple of hours had been a mistake and he knew the next one might have more success, but for now he had to clean up the mess. Sweeping debris up and making a mental note of stuff he had to reorder, he glanced at the back wall and ceiling. It wasn't the first time one of his experiments had gone wrong and blown up! He chuckled, shaking his head. Can't make an omelette without breaking some eggs...

The radio suddenly attracted his attention and he turned, listening...

"...costumed vigilante known as DarkRaven was found murdered the other night. He has been revealed to be Henry Burrows, a widower who kept himself to himself. Sources reveal his wife was killed in a shootout several years ago and Police say this may have spurred him to seek revenge on the mobsters he hunted as a costumed vigilante for the last 8 months in Ruby City. Police ask for witnesses and anyone with information should contact Detective Conway at RCPD. In other news a Gorilla escaped from Ruby City zoo having pulled its iron bars open through the use of sheer strength! Police say not to approach the beast but to give them a call. News from abroad... the Russians have made advancements in the field of science and claim they are close to cracking the code to unlock genetic mutations in..."

Max frowned. The name was familiar. Burrows. Henry. Hank. Hank! One of his group from school! They'd joked about and made a pact to join the growing ranks of caped vigilantes that were their inspiration, but it seemed most hadn't followed it through, seeking the nine to five humdrum that was safer and more conventional.

Still, it hurt. Hank had been a quiet guy but had been one of his friends. He was dead now, and mobsters had sent a clear message. Capes ain't welcome in Ruby City.
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

RUBY CITY DEFENDERS! Issue #1 - Requiem for a hero... Empty Re: RUBY CITY DEFENDERS! Issue #1 - Requiem for a hero...

Post  Admin Tue Sep 29 2020, 10:46

CAPTAIN CONDUIT

Fred Aster looked out of the window. The auto wreck up ahead had been a fender bender that collected other cars. No one hurt but the road was jammed up and he'd be sat here a while. Captain Conduit might be able to help but his only appearance so far had been to stop a mugging and rescue a cat later on that night. Pulling twisted cars aside so traffic could flow might be a noble cause but not worth jeopardising his secret identity for. He glanced to the left, right and behind, cooped in by other cars, their occupants resigned to the wait.

He turned his attention to the radio and flicked through the channels.

"...costumed vigilante known as DarkRaven was found murdered the other night. He has been revealed to be Henry Burrows, a widower who kept himself to himself. Sources reveal his wife was killed in a shootout several years ago and Police say this may have spurred him to seek revenge on the mobsters he hunted as a costumed vigilante for the last 8 months in Ruby City. Police ask for witnesses and anyone with information should contact Detective Conway at RCPD. In other news a Gorilla escaped from Ruby City zoo having pulled its iron bars open through the use of sheer strength! Police say not to approach the beast but to give them a call. News from abroad... the Russians have made advancements in the field of science and claim they are close to cracking the code to unlock genetic mutations in..."

Burrows? He was one of their gang at school! Dead? A cape? Fred gaped and then frowned. Hank had been quiet but had made the pact like all of them had to aspire to be a costumed vigilante to fight crime wherever it reared its head. Now he was gone and some guy would get scot free with his murder. Did that sit well with Fred? He wondered where the rest of his high school buddies were, all separated now by years and distance. Would they know about Hank's death?
Admin
Admin
Admin

andyman likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post  DavidMcMahon Tue Sep 29 2020, 13:41

Admin wrote:LIGHTNING BULLET

Max Dane frowned. The experiment hadn't worked and he looked about. Leaving it for a couple of hours had been a mistake and he knew the next one might have more success, but for now he had to clean up the mess. Sweeping debris up and making a mental note of stuff he had to reorder, he glanced at the back wall and ceiling. It wasn't the first time one of his experiments had gone wrong and blown up! He chuckled, shaking his head. Can't make an omelette without breaking some eggs...

The radio suddenly attracted his attention and he turned, listening...

Max frowned. The name was familiar. Burrows. Henry. Hank. Hank! One of his group from school! They'd joked about and made a pact to join the growing ranks of caped vigilantes that were their inspiration, but it seemed most hadn't followed it through, seeking the nine to five humdrum that was safer and more conventional.

Still, it hurt. Hank had been a quiet guy but had been one of his friends. He was dead now, and mobsters had sent a clear message. Capes ain't welcome in Ruby City.

"Darnnit Henry," Max grumbled, "why did you go out there with so little training or gear?  You could have come to me, I could have come up with something to give you an edge against those criminal scum.  Well, time for Lightning Bullet to take a hand and see if I can bring your killers to justice."

Concentrating and visualizing the change, Max shrunk down to his 3' size, his costume appearing on him at the same time, a white costume with gold lightning bolts on it and a gold bullet-shaped helmet.

"Time to go see Detective Conway and see what he can tell me," Lightning Bullet exclaimed.  Making sure his house was locked up and his alarm system was active, he took the secret exit from The Think Tank and flew away to find the detective.

"Too bad the news didn't say which precinct he was in.  Oh well, I'll just fly to one and ask if they can help me get in touch with him."

Lightning Bullet is on the way!
DavidMcMahon
DavidMcMahon
Cosmic Level

Back to top Go down

Post  andyman Thu Oct 01 2020, 00:10

Fred picks up his order clipboard and writes "Detective Conway" down on a personal note sheet. Maybe he can expand his sales territory into Ruby City.  And maybe Captain Conduit can avenge an old friend. If Henry ended up there, maybe some of the others did too. Max was a fellow science nerd. Fred decides to look him up after he gets out of this traffic jam. In order to not waste gas, Fred turns his motor off. But he leaves the radio on. A guy like him need not worry about his car battery dying. Ever. Fred smiles, then sticks his head out the window. "C'mon you rubberneckers! Go already! Have you rubes never seen an automobile accident before?!?"
andyman
andyman
Class 2 Hero (Low level superhuman)

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Thu Oct 01 2020, 19:03

LIGHTNING BULLET

The Desk Sergeant looked down. And kept looking down. "And who're YOU supposed ta be, huh?" asked the grizzled desk sergeant to the three foot high or so superhuman floating up to speak to him at eye level.

"I need to see Detective Conway."

"Conway? That goon is over at the 13th. He don't like capes." growled the Sergeant. "Says you shoulda hung em up at wars end and let the professionals do their job. That's not bad advice, all things considered. That guy ... he could punch, sure. But the guys he was up against escalate. He punches, they use a bat. He pulls a pistol, they pull a tommy gun. Yanks out a shotgun? They pull a hand full of pins from grenades."

The cop sighed, ignoring the looks of astonishment from the other flatfoots, suspects, civilians... "You go down this route kid, chances are you'll end up like that DarkRaven guy. Best of intentions, worst of outcomes. Do yourself a favour. Don't go to the 13th. Head somewhere else. Somewhere brighter, shinier, less likely ta get ya killed."

=========

13th Precinct...

"Conway! Got someone here says he needs ta talk to ya." yelled the cop looking at the hovering hero in front of him.

A surly, unshaven overweight, stressed out, balding, grizzled veteran of the streets and of battlefields as a marine sergeant in the second World War eased his way of the chair in his office and sighed, making his way forward. "Ahhhh. Okay, I'll humour ya. It's been a long day so far. What's yer story?"
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Thu Oct 01 2020, 19:17

CAPTAIN CONDUIT

The traffic eventually cleared and Fred made his way through the outskirts and into Ruby City. Stopping at the first Police Station he found he asked after Detective Conway. They didn't know him but suggested the next precinct a few blocks down. That place put him onto the 13th and he parked up, rolling his neck and climbed out of the car.

With a glance around at the busy street and the quiet side alleyways he fished in the trunk and reached for a rucksack.

Another glance about at the street then ducking into the alleyway...

Stashing the civvy clothes and a change later...

Ruby Citys' newest superhero left the alleyway the top way and soared into the sky! The suit was a work in progress and -just about - managed to focus and direct his electrical abilities to generate an electromagnetic pulse wave that allowed him to negate and redirect garvity in such as way as to allow the power of flight!

Soaring over the streets he looked down at the antlike people below, the cars, trucks, everyone going about their business. This was a city of opportunity, both for Fred Aster and Captain Conduit. One where he could call it home if he played his cards right. He could be successful here, and make a difference. With a grim smile on his face he headed for the 13th Precinct building up ahead. First he had business to attend to.

=========

13th Precinct

"Conway! Got someone here says he needs ta talk to ya." yelled the cop looking at the hovering hero in front of him.

A surly, unshaven overweight, stressed out, balding, grizzled veteran of the streets and of battlefields as a marine sergeant in the second World War eased his way of the chair in his office and sighed, making his way forward. "Ahhhh. Okay, I'll humour ya. It's been a long day so far. What's yer story?" He frowned as he saw a wave and a cop pointed at a newcomer.

Captain Conduit looked over to the cop and saw another costumed man standing in the air in front of Conway. This guy was tiny, a shrunken super human floating in the air without visible means of support.

"What is this? Halloween come early or somethin?" growled Conway...

Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Thu Oct 01 2020, 19:18

LIGHTNING BULLET

Lightning Bullet turned. There was a guy in costume just entered the precinct and was causing a stir as much as he'd done, leaving a slight smell of ozone in the air about him and causing hairs on heads to stand on end.

Another hero. Someone like him.
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  DavidMcMahon Thu Oct 01 2020, 19:47

Admin wrote:LIGHTNING BULLET

Lightning Bullet turned. There was a guy in costume just entered the precinct and was causing a stir as much as he'd done, leaving a slight smell of ozone in the air about him and causing hairs on heads to stand on end.

Another hero. Someone like him.

"Name is Lightning Bullet," he said to the room at large.  "Guess I'm not as well-known as I thought.  Must be more short heroes running around who can fly than me.  Anyway, I do not know this other guy, nice costume by the way, but I will bet a nickle he and I are here for the same thing, find out what we can about NiteRaven's death and what we can do to help bring his killers to justice.  I feel it is my civic duty to do so, Detective Conway.  Can we talk about it?"

ooc:  What does CC's costume look like anyways?  And this is going to be fun, each of us knowing each other in Secret ID but not knowing a thing about each other in Hero Id.

pirat tongue
DavidMcMahon
DavidMcMahon
Cosmic Level

Back to top Go down

Post  andyman Fri Oct 02 2020, 06:05

OOC: Captain Conduit looks like my icon. He's a 1950s recreation of a comic strip character I created when in college. ( https://www.theduckwebcomics.com/Captain_Conduit/ )

"How do you know I'm not here to learn where a guy can get a decent doughnut in this burg? Maybe this 'C' on my chest is a chocolate ring with a bite taken out of it? Just kidding. The name's Captain Conduit and I am here to learn more about the death of this caped crusader. And I like the idea of responding to an attack on one hero, by coming after them with two. Nice to meet you Lightning Bullet. Just don't put an 'LB' on your chest or people might think your name is 'Pound-Man'." Fred first extends a hand to shake with Lightning Bullet, but then decides that for his size, a single finger would be more appropriate.

"So Detective Conway, what can you tell us besides corny jokes about Halloween? Who killed Night Raven and what cell is he rotting in now?"
andyman
andyman

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Fri Oct 02 2020, 19:03

"DarkRaven. I think he called himself DarkRaven." said Conway, scowling. He glanced around the Precinct office. "Don't you all have work ta do? Get to it!" he bellowed to those gaping at the supers.

"In here." he sighed, ushering the pair of heroes into his office which was stacked with folders and piles of papers. He scowled at a full ashtray, scooped it up, glanced about at the full bin then opened the window to tip it into the street two floors below. "Hey!" shouted a distant voice.

He sagged into a chair and nodded at the pair of chairs on the other side of the desk.

"I ain't beatin round th' bush. You two are as welcome round here as a boil on the butt. I can see you ain't ordinary joes dressin' up an' playin' about. Thing is, th' people who offed the other cape ain't messin 'bout. They know high profile deaths like his will bring heat an' they just don't care. The city has a problem. Ya see, on the outside there's all these jobs thanks ta the new car plant and there's new houses, neighbourhoods, schools... plenty o dough rollin round an' people happy ta take it from shmucks who think this place is the promised land. We got a real problem with..." he paused then sighed "City officials who like ta look th' other way. For every wiseguy I put away there's a dozen lawyers linin' up ta get im on the streets an' the DA is..." he glanced about "... not that effective. I ain't sayin nothin' else cause dese walls have ears. When you leave this room I'll be chewin you two out. Publicly, loudly, aggressively. Don't take it personal. I could use every bit o help you can provide, but I can't accept it publicly. The Captain of this precinct, Police Commissioner, DA, hell even the Mayor and his Council all see what happens round here as a natural process and if they find a reason ta ditch me they'll get someone who is more in line wid their thinkin."

He sighed, lit a cigar, took a drag and blew smoke out the window. "Gotta be someone round the docks knows somethin'. All sorts o muscle, bruisers, meatheads an' hired guns work round there. Mind ya step." he glanced past the seated pair at the window through the blinds into the office. "AND ANOTHER THING!" he roared. "I DON'T NEED GUYS IN FANCY DRESS PRANCIN' ROUND HERE LIKE THEY OWN DA PLACE, AND IF YOU GET IN MY WAY I'LL COME DOWN ON YA LIKE YA WOULDN'T BELIEVE! NOW GET OUTTA HERE AN' DON'T LET ME SEE YA AGAIN!"

He charged over to the door, wrenched it open and snarled. Under his breath he muttered "O'Malleys Bar is a favourite waterin' hole o mine. You won't be welcome in the fancy duds though so come discreet. Anythin' you find out, I wanna know an' in return... I'll pass on what I know."

"YOU HEARD! GET OUT, FREAKS!" he roared.

"Watch yourselves." he muttered.
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  DavidMcMahon Fri Oct 02 2020, 20:19

Looking up to Captain Conduit, the 3'3" hero, nods and exits the building.

Once outside, he asks, "Can you fly or leap or something? If so, let's hit a rooftop where we won't be disturbed and talk a bit."

He looks around for the tallest building [which is probably no more than a dozen stories tall due to the earthquakes having a tendency to tumble down any that are taller than that.]
DavidMcMahon
DavidMcMahon
Cosmic Level

Back to top Go down

Post  andyman Sat Oct 03 2020, 04:31

"Sorry Conway, but I need a rep too." Captain Conduit whispers as he charges the detective with so much static electricity that his hair stands on end and he'll shock himself when he touches the metal handle of his office door to shut it.

He then replies to Lightning Bullet, loud enough for the police around to hear, "Pigs don't fly, but I do, especially after being hit with that much hot air." Captain Conduit then rides the lightning out of the building taunting, "You'll never catch me, coppers!"

Once out of earshot of the law, Fred tells Lightning Bullet, "That aught to support the detective's story. I just hope he'll forgive me after I buy him a beer." Pause. "So, are you like the world's first superhero midget?"

Ah, to be in the 1950s without political correctness or a shred of respect for anyone who isn't "normal". People in the 50s could really be a$$h0l3s.
andyman
andyman

Back to top Go down

Post  DavidMcMahon Sat Oct 03 2020, 06:21

ooc: One of the conceits of this world is that many of the public domain superheroes mostly existed. They basically retired or disappeared about the time that their last stories were published. Which is one of the reasons Wonderman, who lasted all of one issue, is adventuring as an NPC with one of my other characters, Prof. Wynde, in WW2. Also one of the reasons I picked this time period to adventure in, they are gone but were the inspirations for us becoming supers as well.

and here is a nice list of public domain heroes: https://pdsh.fandom.com/wiki/Category:Heroes

"Not a real smart thing to do," Lightning Bullet replies with a frown, "doing it in front of everyone like that. They could make a case for assault on a police officer on you. You may have just gone from superhero to supervillain. Should have at least pretended that you did by accident even if everyone could have figured it was "pretend". The forms need to be followed, you know."

"So, are you like the world's first superhero midget?"

"No, there were others before me, though not so well-known. Fly-Man, Mighty Man, one of the Miss Americas, and Mr. Mystic. The Black Dwarf was probably the most famous of the lot but he was just a short tough man [think original Atom in build and toughness before he had super-strength] not actually a midget. Minimidget and Ritty were the first shrinking superheroes that I know of but disappeared shortly before Pearl Harbor."

"Anyways, nice to meet you, I think. What say we work together on this case? Rather than working at cross purposes?"

[Assuming Captain Conduit agrees]

"Well, let's start with what we can do. I see you use electricity, so do I, except I can't project it, I have to punch someone with it. I can also emit a blinding light. Fly, obviously, and have enhanced vision and hearing. I'm a decent fighter and detective and have a scientific background. That about covers the basics. You?"

[If Captain Conduit disagrees and wants to go solo]

"Well, let's try not to get in each other's way when we hit the docks to gather information. Nice meeting you. And I'm serious about not doing that again. Be as brash as you want but attacking a policeman will get you on the Wanted List pronto!"

DavidMcMahon
DavidMcMahon
Cosmic Level

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Tue Oct 06 2020, 09:23

Meanwhile... Conway rubs his hand and scowls at the window where the pair departed.

"Want me ta put them on th' watch list Conway?" yelled the Sergeant.

Conway frowned then shook his head. "Nah, wouldn't want that punk ta think he got one over on me with that buzzer stunt he just pulled. I'll make sure he gets his, don't you worry."

He turned and went back into his office, grinning to himself. In the navy one of the men under his command had been a practical joker and even when he'd served time in the brig for upsetting an Admiral he'd been popular and too likeable not to be given a pass. He glanced at a photo on the wall, creased and slightly burned on the corner of a bunch of guys on the deck of a destroyer taken a few years ago. With a sigh Conway fished in his drawer for a bottle of whisky and poured himself a shot. "Here's to you guys." he whispered. "Rest in peace, even you Joker." He shuddered as he remembered the Japanese Zero screaming down towards the deck and the explosion that had ripped through the vessel, ending it and many of the crews' lives. Days later having been fished from the water amongst floating debris and bodies Conway had tried to appear tough but never wanted in the sea again after the sharks had come circling.

=========

Elsewhere...

"You sure 'bout dis? Killin dat cape is gonna bring some heat on us."

The darkened room was spoiled only by a swaying lamp from the ceiling.

"Yes I'm sure, my eloquent friend. Relax. Soon enough the mayor will denounce all so called 'capes' and the police will spend as much time rounding them up as they do chasing after you fellows." said the well spoken man as he stood in an immaculate suit and smoked an expensive brand of cigarette. His face always seemed to be in shadow and the mobster sat across the large oak desk frowned as he realised he had no idea who this guy was that called the shots. He'd been elevated from violent goon to serious player in a matter of weeks since arriving in Ruby City and knew it was down to this guy. However he had some ambition of his own and knew the time would come to spread his wings... then this guy with his fancy words an' weird smellin cigarettes would get his. Nuthin personal, it was purely business.

"Something funny?" asked the well spoken man.

"I wus just tinkin back to a couple month ago when I was movin crates an fightin' fer scraps down the docks wid the odd case of booze here or there ta knock off and sell fer a few bucks. Now look at me. Boss of a growin' crime family an' da world is my oyster once we get dis place under wraps. Not bad, not bad at all."

"Remember who put you there. It was my pleasure." said the well spoken man. "In the meantime we have work to do." he slid his hand with a sheet of paper over the desk and the mobster took it, squinting in the gloom.

"What's dis?" he drawled.

"Your next target."

"You gotta be kiddin me!" the hulking man in the ill fitting suit cried.

"On the contrary dear fellow, when it comes to business, I never kid about. Get to it."

"Huh. What about dat call we just took. New supers in town."

There was a pause as the well dressed man took a drag then blew out a scented cloud of smoke. "Leave that to me. It's about to become VERY dangerous for any freaks who decide to poke their nose in my business..."

"Don't ya mean OUR business?"

"Of course dear fellow, mere slip of the tongue. Rest assured, these two newcomers will be discouraged..."

OOC Just seeing if there is any more interaction between you guys then I'll move you on to the dock area, depending on whether you go as a pair or solo..

Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  andyman Wed Oct 07 2020, 04:07

Fred smirks. "With your encyclopedic knowledge of capes, you sound just like an old friend of mine. Of course while he fancied the heroes, I was more of a fan of the villains. I'd like to keep the world guessing as to my true loyalties. It may come in handy. We can work together, but try to keep the motherin' to a minimum, okay?"

Captain Conduit passes on explaining his powers to the boy scout and creates an electric slide to ride its waves toward the docks. Why'd it have to be the docks? There's water there.
andyman
andyman

Back to top Go down

Post  DavidMcMahon Wed Oct 07 2020, 07:26

Lightning Bullet raises an eyebrow and decides to follow along with a few misgivings but follow he does.
DavidMcMahon
DavidMcMahon
Cosmic Level

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Thu Oct 08 2020, 09:06

The Docks were a sprawling mass of buildings, crates, cranes and people moving things to and from a myriad number of ships that used Ruby City as a hub.

Smaller than other dock areas possibly, but busier as costs were lower and trucks were constantly moving to and from the area shipping goods to the western coast of the United States.

Smaller it may be but there were still square miles of buildings and it was a hive of activity. Though it was later afternoon chances were the place would never let up with ships loading up, fuelling and a change of crew before leaving the area again.

The heroes overlooked the bay from a distant hill and pondered their next move. Going in as supers would cause a stir, no doubt. It might also frighten the rats into hiding and there were plenty of holes down there!
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  DavidMcMahon Thu Oct 08 2020, 14:24

"Well ... not sure how to go about this," Lightning Bullet admits to his companion.  "I'm a decent detective but no Sam Spade.  I know how to do the legwork to gather clues.  But what can you do?"

"I'm thinking a two-prong attack here.  I will go in as Lightning Bullet, very visible superhero looking for clues, while you go in disguised and look for clues while everyone concentrates on me.  Or we can both go in as superheroes and watch and see who bolts when we show up and follow them.  Or do you have a better idea?"
DavidMcMahon
DavidMcMahon
Cosmic Level

Back to top Go down

Post  andyman Sun Oct 11 2020, 04:04

"I can act, but I'll need a costume without a cape and a big letter on the font. I got just the thing in my car. Meet me behind that 24 Hour diner we saw on the way here. I'll be the one ordering cheese fries with gravy and a strawberry milkshake. Try not to get yourself killed while I'm gone."

Fred was raised by actors, so this will be a synch. But who should he play? He's got a hat and trenchcoat in his trunk for rainy days and shades for sunny days. together they'll make a great drunk's outfit. He's seen a couple guys dressed like that at the docks already. He'll fit right in!

Captain Conduit just has to fly back to his car, change (including a little makeup work on his facial features), and then drive back to the diner.
andyman
andyman

Back to top Go down

Post  DavidMcMahon Sun Oct 11 2020, 04:25

Using his telescopic and ultra vision, Lightning Bullet did a slow pass around the periphery of the docks, looking for anything interesting while he waited for Captain Conduit to finish his disguise.

[if he doesn't see anything of interest after spending 10 or so minutes looking around]
then he flew over to the diner but didn't go in. Made no sense to blow Captain Conduit's cover if he was going in disguised as someone. Just made sure everyone saw him as he flew by and looked in the windows waving to folks, then zoomed away to land a few block away where he could see the entrance to the diner.

[if he does see something of interest, depends on what it is to decide what he does next]
DavidMcMahon
DavidMcMahon
Cosmic Level

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Wed Oct 14 2020, 10:41

As Captain Conduit makes his costume/appearance changes Lightning Bullet scanned about with his super vision ...

OOC Perception Check ... Int 5 + Roll(2d12)+0: 8,3,+0 Total:11 (16) vs
OV6 - sharp eye 2 + Roll(2d12)+0: 1,1,+0 Total:2 FAILED OV0
+6 (to 9 Will) vs RV6=3 RAPs

1) There appears to be some activity behind a warehouse away from the loading dock at the front.
2-3) Judging by the look outs the activity isn't on the legal side as four men manhandle large crates from the back of one lorry into another. Lightning Bullet counts... 10... no, there's another. 11 men. Zooming in to get details he notes that six of them are loading and unloading heavy looking crates, two are talking and three are look outs - with pistols tucked into their belts.

Meanwhile Captain Conduit keeps a look out and makes the changes he needs, ducking into his car and peeling off his mask, adjusting his appearance with a false moustache and slicking his hair back out of the way before putting a hat on. With his face half in shadow he stepped from the car he'd just driven to the diner and wobbled out. A glance about and he saw the diner was reasonably full of dock workers, truckers and other people. Popular place. 'Daisy's Diner' looked to be one of a number of eateries around the sprawling dockland area. Whether it was the place he could glean information about a heroes death... well, that was another question.

Lightning Bullet saw a car pull up outside the diner and a guy in a trenchcoat and hat stumble out. This guy was quite the actor and reasonably convincing.
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  DavidMcMahon Wed Oct 14 2020, 14:11

Staying with is original plan, Lightning Bullet flies by the diner, and the drunk outside, waving to them and then flies away to land a few blocks away and waits for the disguised Captain Conduit to show up.
DavidMcMahon
DavidMcMahon
Cosmic Level

Back to top Go down

Post  andyman Thu Oct 15 2020, 02:36

The drunk, who looks nothing like Lightning Bullet's old school-mate, follows him into a dark alley, singing the 1953 hit by Eddie Fisher, "I'm Walking Behind You".

andyman
andyman

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Thu Oct 15 2020, 08:55

"Didja see dat?" splutters a guy stood outside the diner speaking to his buddy, a surly looking fellow in string vest and leather jacket.

They start muttering among themselves and Captain Conduit/Disguised Drunk sways about whilst listening in.

"We got problems if capes n cops turn up. Dey always bring trouble. Best go let Denny know an he can make arrangements." said the fellow in leather jacket. The first guy dragged on his cigarette, scanning the sky and went inside the diner whilst leather jacket went in search of a payphone.

Captain Conduit stood in the dark, smelly alley. To get a clearer idea of who the movers and shakers were around here he'd have to go inside and be convincing.

Lightning Bullet knew he'd be visible to observers every now and again but when shrunk he wasn't that noticeable. His newfound partner would probably be able to look after himself but it depended on whether he charged in, played it cool or ran into trouble... From his vantage point the diner was still a distance away but his vision was much, much sharper than an ordinary persons and even from this distance he could see the front of the diner.

OOC A 'block' in the city measures about 200m x 100m typically according to google so LB may be... 500m away or so. That is 8APs and shows as 5APs to his vision. The docks are laid out in a grid fashion with canyons of containers and crates for the most part, some fenced off, others guarded by bored looking guys, some with dogs, most playing cards, dicing or drinking.
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 10 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next