The Vanguard Play by Post Roleplaying Game
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Vanguard! Issue #4 - Knifes Edge...

4 posters

Page 1 of 13 1, 2, 3 ... 11, 12, 13  Next

Go down

The Vanguard! Issue #4 - Knifes Edge... Empty The Vanguard! Issue #4 - Knifes Edge...

Post  Admin Sun Aug 22 2010, 00:11

The Vanguard Issue #4

The Vanguard! Issue #4 - Knifes Edge... 2dcamf8

The Vanguard, a team of super heroes blessed with otherworldy power beyond even most superhumans, have resisted a time shift caused by a cadre of powerful villains that ensured the Nazis won World War II. In order to set time right, they need to venture back in time, battling all the while against Nazi forces in Occupied Britain, and including the might of Adjutant, a being with immense power whom even other supers fear. The Vanguard need a powerful magical artifact, someone skilled enough to cast the spell, and a gateway through which to travel. Two of the Vanguard, Frostbite and Putty, a new recruit, have gone to find the Holy Grail, legendary cup of Joseph of Aramathea and said to be of mythical power. To that end they discovered the resting place of Queen Victoria, kept alive by artificial means, and found out that the grail may rest on the Isle of Bardsey, said to be known in ancient times as Avalon. Meanwhile Lionheart, another recruit and one displaced from his own time sent back to stop a man called Saladin, and the Vanguardian Stormwarden, have attacked an encampment around the site of Stonehenge, defeating Saladin and a Witch who were sent to stop them. Saladin escaped, but the two heroes set to rearranging the stones back into the old places. It's slow work, and should they stop for rest, then Queen Victoria herself might be able to help with a psychic message relaying the order the stones must be relaid in. Meanwhile, Nowhere Man, mentor of the Vanguardians, has returned from the dead to help his team mates and seeks the legendary sword Excalibur in what he believes to be the ruins of Camelot. All the while the Nazis track with a team of mystics and psychics their movements. They cannot pinpoint the Vanguard because of the powers within them, but where they cannot see effectively sticks out to them. Adjutant is about to make his move. The fate of reality is balanced on a knifes edge...

Tip of North Wales...

Frostbite and Putty stood on the cliff top overlooking the waters separating them from the Isle of Bardsey and mainland Britain. There was nothing on the isle. In the howling wind and driving rain the pair looked over what they could see of the island. There seemed to be nothing there.

<<I am detecting nothing of technological origin from the island, but your senses are not efficient enough to determine the energy you are interpreting as 'the hairs standing on the back of your neck'>>
said the computer inside Frostbites' head.

Putty frowned. There was something going on. But what? Since realizing his true nature and finding out about his powers he'd been amazed by what he could do, but there had been the nagging idea at the back of his mind that there was so much more he could do. But what? And how to access it?

Then, before the pair could ponder further, the island seemed to shimmer, if only for a second, a heartbeat. To anyone else, even other superhumans, it would have gone unnoticed. But these were Vanguardians, beings of power and destiny beyond that marked even for those with the powers to dwarf normal men!

The Vanguard! Issue #4 - Knifes Edge... 2ujnhwp

The wind continued to rip at the pair even as the image faded...

The Vanguard! Issue #4 - Knifes Edge... V2w6x2

They glanced at one another. Had their eyes been tricking them? Was this some Nazi trap?

=========

Stonehenge...

Lionheart sagged against a stone. He watched Stormwarden pushing away at another. The big man turned. "No time to rest... " he panted. Despite being near tireless even the big man was exhausted. The Nazis soldiers had come at them in force, and used grenades... which had turned in mid air to explode on the throwers, thanks to the Stormwardens mastery of the wind! He regretted the injuries, but this was war. The soldiers would live but fight no more, leaving the superhumans time to work. And work they had.

Three huge stones stood in place, a perfect match for the holes they'd come from. Another half dozen looked ready to slot in, but might go in one or more holes. Would it matter so long as a stone was in the hole? Lionheart feared so.

Stormwarden dropped to the floor, back against a stone. "This will take forever. Your 'friend' Saladin will have spoken to his goose stepping buddies by now. I wouldn't be surprised to see them turn up in a little while. Hopefully I'll detect them in this storm, but that's another thing. Even I can't keep it up forever, and it sure feels like it's been going that long by now. Get some rest. I'll watch, then wake you in an hour. With any luck we can replenish and set to, get more stones in by dawn. The White Warlock is due to be executed later tomorrow but we still have time." he said, though doubt crept into his voice.

=========

Caerleon, near Newport in Gwent

Nowhere Man watched the Nazi soldiers walked by, then moved on. Invisible and intangible, still he was careful. Magical wards could reveal his presence, and his other powers - those he'd taken for granted all those years and that had ground his body down until there was nothing left - had not as yet returned. He had the powers, or some of them at any rate, of Wraith, the hero he'd been when he was a Lore Knight, from a decade or so ago. He grinned. What'd he'd give to have the others - Ghost Knight, Tor, Cheshire, Winterwolf and the others, by his side. He sighed and continued through the grounds of the excavation site. Clearly there'd been something the Nazis were interested in here, but work had stopped a while ago. He paused and looked back. Where the Nazis had been digging in the town seemed odd, out of place. He looked at a nearby hill, then at the site. The legendary castle, if it had been there at all, would have been placed atop a hill. Admittedly it was over a thousand years ago, but still... He looked again. The hillside was grassy, but strangely angled on one side. Narrowing his eyes he floated towards the distant hill...

=========

London...

Adjutant looked over at the massed superhumans in front of him. Petty, spiteful, self serving, backstabbing, wildy ambitious... they sicked him. And yet he was bound to work with them, lead them. "You must understand your roles. These renegades are the most dangerous you will ever come across. We know so little about them, and yet what we do know reveals much - they cannot be underestimated. Despite our power and the means by which we monitor this land, they have evaded our grasp. They seem to have power levels resembling your own, but the way they took Majestic out suggests otherwise. Proceed to the locations I have stated." he said, shouting in the courtyard of the base above the howling of the wind, as the driving rain ran across the yard in sheets causing many of the meta humans to shiver and hope about on their feet, hoping to seek shelter. The rain never touched Adjutant, stopping an inch short.

"What about you? For all your vaunted power, you do nothing!" spat a Viking helmed metahuman, the Baresark. "I say you are coward!" he yelled, looking about for support. None came. Adjutant walked up to the man and looked up into the taller mans eyes. "Lest you forget, the 3rd Reich demands I give 100% of my attention across its many territories. Sometimes, they expect me to be in two, three places at once. It might seem like I can do that, but that doesn't shake the fact that I want to know more about my enemy before I rush in blind, like Majestic did. He wasn't a coward, just stupid. Now I expect a brute like you to charge in against these people, and you will be crushed, humbled. I say this to be true because it will happen. So use your brain for once, instead of your balls!" hissed Adjutant. The bigger mans expression turned dark, his face bulging with rage as his power started to kick in, making him bigger, stronger, more powerful and uncontrollable, rampaging and destroying all in his path! He never got the chance. A casual backhand sent him flying 100' across the courtyard to smash through a thick stone wall.

Adjutant looked at the assembled metahumans. "You can doubt me, question what I say, choose to follow your own instincts instead of my orders. But you will not disrespect me, or each other. We fight on the same side. Division is the enemy. These renegades are the enemy. If we fight amongst ourselves, they will win. No more questions. Go. NOW!"
Admin
Admin
Admin

https://darkeningshadows.darkbb.com

Back to top Go down

The Vanguard! Issue #4 - Knifes Edge... Empty Re: The Vanguard! Issue #4 - Knifes Edge...

Post  DavidMcMahon Sun Aug 22 2010, 15:21

Putty And Frostbite

They glanced at one another. Had their eyes been tricking them? Was this some Nazi trap?

"Did you just see a castle that was there and then wasn't," Putty asked his teammate. "Because I sure did!"

He looks around.

"Can we find a boat to get us across or have to use our powers to get there," he mutters to himself.
DavidMcMahon
DavidMcMahon
Cosmic Level

Back to top Go down

The Vanguard! Issue #4 - Knifes Edge... Empty Re: The Vanguard! Issue #4 - Knifes Edge...

Post  Steeple_jackuk Sun Aug 22 2010, 17:14

Lionheart

Lionheart looked at the Big Man, his powers were beyond his own comprehension, as compared to either Saladin, he was powerful. But even this task, righting the Henge stones was taking its toll. The temptation to stop, rest a while was a strong one. But Stormwarden was right. Although his words had not said, it his tone of voice was enough.

"No big man, 'no rest for the wicked', nor us as well. Who knows what the Nazi's will plan next."

With that Lionheart slowly, painfully forced his aching limbs to respond as he tugged at his friend to keep on with the work. "We've got to stay vigilant..." He said to motivated both himself and Stormwarden to action.

Sj
Steeple_jackuk
Steeple_jackuk
Cosmic Level

Back to top Go down

Post  Steeple_jackuk Sun Aug 22 2010, 17:19

Frostbite

"Did you just see a castle that was there and then wasn't," Putty asked his team mate. "Because I sure did!"

Frostbite nodded, "I'm sure I did. But we were warned about the Isle and its reclusive owner. We'd best waste no more time, we'll fly across, come in low to avoid further detection."

With that Frostbite hovered inches above Putty, gliding effortless. The feeling, despite the gravity of their circumstances, elated Frostbite. A twang of guilt hit him, but despite himself it was hard not to feel like a child inside as he revealed in the ability to fly.

Taking Putty by the hands, he allowed him to climb to where he was most comfortable, before setting off at speed, toward the island.

OOC: We'll take it low, skim around as best we can, get the view of the place before trying to head inland to where we saw the castle.
Steeple_jackuk
Steeple_jackuk
Cosmic Level

Back to top Go down

Post  DavidMcMahon Sun Aug 22 2010, 17:45

PUTTY And FROSTBITE

Taking Putty by the hands, he allowed him to climb to where he was most comfortable, before setting off at speed, toward the island.

Putty climbs onto the back of Frostbite, as he does so, he shifts his form so he looks much like a manta ray, with wide-spread ungulating wings. He figures in this form, he won't provide any air drag for Frostbite and his wings may even provide a bit of lift to make the journey less tiring.

DavidMcMahon
DavidMcMahon
Cosmic Level

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Mon Aug 23 2010, 00:13

The Vanguard - Putty and Frostbite

The Vanguardians drift silently across the water, battered by wind and rain, circling the place before gaining height to head to the highest point on the island. And then, as the pair got closer, the strangest sensation came over them!

One second, they flew through wind and rain, the next... mist???

<<There is no rational explanation for the current phenomena.>> explained Frostbites' computer. <<I can not ascertain your current location with regards heading or speed, altitude or angle of ascent. Suggest you turn about, immediately.>>

The pair had been flying at the island, both seeing the place through the darkness and rain, when the mist filled their vision. Now? They could see nothing! Would they continue on, or turn back?
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Steeple_jackuk Mon Aug 23 2010, 07:23

Frostbite

One second, they flew through wind and rain, the next... mist???

"Looks as if the Islands defences have started to kick in already. I had hoped we'd be able to get there before this happened." Said Frostbite over his shoulder. Then stopping in mid air, he turned to his friend. "Putty can you extend yourself forward and downward like feelers? I want to fly on, but don't wish to but into the island itself. It would be just like this place to make us use our powers to harm ourselves. If you feel land below, we'll descend if you feel something ahead, we'll know it before crashing headlong into it. Agreed?"

OOC: Assuming agreement we continue forward slowly so as to continue on our current trajectory but at speed appropriate to what we can respond to.

Sj

Steeple_jackuk
Steeple_jackuk
Cosmic Level

Back to top Go down

Post  DavidMcMahon Mon Aug 23 2010, 12:03

PUTTY & FROSTBITE

"Putty can you extend yourself forward and downward like feelers? I want to fly on, but don't wish to but into the island itself. It would be just like this place to make us use our powers to harm ourselves. If you feel land below, we'll descend if you feel something ahead, we'll know it before crashing headlong into it. Agreed?"

"Yes, I can," Putty replies. With that he extends his arms forward, his legs downwards and his head upwards as far as he can comfortably.
DavidMcMahon
DavidMcMahon
Cosmic Level

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Mon Aug 23 2010, 15:14

The Vanguard - Frostbite and Putty

Acting together, the pair moved on through the fog. It seemed to last an age - until one of Puttys' probing feelers struck solid rock. With direction from the newest Vanguardian Frostbite was able to gain height and the pair continue... but not for much longer. The mists started to clear and part, and instantly the Vanguardians felt a shiver - though not of cold!

The Vanguard! Issue #4 - Knifes Edge... 25isllh

<<Situation unknown. If this is not an illusion this unit suggests you have passed through an interdimensional barrier of a type unknown. Suggestion: Extreme caution.>> said the computer inside Frostbites' head!

The Vanguard! Issue #4 - Knifes Edge... 2ijgtcn

"Look lads. Strays!" bellowed a gravelly voice from behind the pair. Both whirled... to find the mist had gone!

"Bet the Queen'll pay well for them!" snarled one of the beastly looking giants - they ranged from 8' to 12' high, packed with muscle and menace!

"Nah. Ah'm bettin' they taste better'n they look!" shouted another.

And they came at the Vanguardians!

OOC rather than being where you'd thought you'd be, floating somewhere near the cliff where the castle was, you are floating only feet off the ground. The mist has gone, the landscape around you has changed, the place looks far far bigger than the simple small island you were flying to! And it's daytime! There's no sign of Stormwardens storm, and these... Ogres... are about to attack and eat you!
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Steeple_jackuk Mon Aug 23 2010, 17:56

Frostbite

"I don't suppose there is much chance of parleying?" Frostbite said to Putty loudly, so his voice carried to the giants. "Looks like the welcome home party is here, lets make sure they're not disappointed."

Frostbite, allowed Putty to get ready, as he prepared himself to attack.

OOC: Initiative roll for me is 1d10=4

Get ready to attack, with energy attack on the lead brute, if Initiative allows for it. Otherwise I'll hold in mid flight and move out of range.

Sj

Sj

Steeple_jackuk
Steeple_jackuk
Cosmic Level

Back to top Go down

Post  DavidMcMahon Mon Aug 23 2010, 23:20

Putty

Putty touches the ground and shifts his body so he looks like a conglomeration of the huge monsters in front of him.

"Me Smash!" he yelled as he readied to let loose with his fists.
DavidMcMahon
DavidMcMahon
Cosmic Level

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Mon Aug 23 2010, 23:51

OOC 1d10=7 2 frames to the goon squad...

"Lemmeatem!" snarled one, reaching forward... who crashed into another fellow with a meat cleaver the size of a door.The pair squared off, even as two more started forward... and bumped into one another again!

OOC determined randomly who would actually get a strike in on them... The Ogres move one frame, and only one is close enough to swing, as they are all so big, their targets small, and besides, they're a bit stupid. 1d20+2+6=14 Miss, 2d6+14=25

THWUMP!

A huge club with spikes in the end slams into the floor next to Frostbite, who hovers just off it, still holding Putty. These creatures - for they are clearly not men - have brains inversely proportional to their mass apparently, but getting struck by one wouldn't be much fun, Frostbite figures...

OOC And it's 4 frames to you guys. One Ogre is in swinging distance of Frostbite, the others are 2-5m away. No problem for Putty, Frostbite has a number of powers that can help. Over to you.
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  DavidMcMahon Mon Aug 23 2010, 23:58

PUTTY

A huge club with spikes in the end slams into the floor next to Frostbite, who hovers just off it, still holding Putty. These creatures - for they are clearly not men - have brains inversely proportional to their mass apparently, but getting struck by one wouldn't be much fun, Frostbite figures...

Oozing out of Frostbite's grip, Putty lands on the ground and forming his fists into spiked clubs, well - they look like spiked clubs, even if they aren't - and swings twice at the two furtherest away from him. If they are as dumb as they seem, they may think each other attacked them and would turn and fight the other instead of Putty and Frostbite.

actions: two attacks on two foes.
DavidMcMahon
DavidMcMahon
Cosmic Level

Back to top Go down

Post  Steeple_jackuk Tue Aug 24 2010, 08:23

Frostbite

OOC: Paul any chance of an updated character sheet with my new refinements on them, as we square up to a new combat, looking back for an old post with the rules is isn't very practical. Thanks mate.

IC:

Frostbite stared hard at the pack before him trying to determine which of these goons would be the leader. Always assuming such a concept wasn't beyond them.

But first he had the large matter of the one closest to him at hand, with a wave of his hand he shot a blast of super cold air at the behemoths head, seeing to chill what small brain it had or at least frost over his eyes to give him a harder time seeing Frostbite. Before blasting away at the one giant who might be considered boss.

OOC:

Ok use field manipulation for 5 points on the one closest to me, brain chill and eyes frosted shut? I don't mind sacrificing damage for the side effect of impairing his sight.

5d6=18

And use 7 dice of energy attack on the one who most likely is the leader of the pack, split 3HTK and 4HTC

To hit: 1d20+3+6=16 Meh! Miss anyway.

Sj

Steeple_jackuk
Steeple_jackuk
Cosmic Level

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Tue Aug 24 2010, 08:35

OOC had meant to get on it anyway, so no problem - will cook something up during the course of today. Got boiler man round hopefully sort out the clanking monstrosity bolted to the wall beside my right ear so I can hear myself think. That's the theory. A mushroom cloud over Leeds might say otherwise (no bad thing either, some might say Smile )
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Steeple_jackuk Tue Aug 24 2010, 08:39

Admin wrote:OOC had meant to get on it anyway, so no problem - will cook something up during the course of today. Got boiler man round hopefully sort out the clanking monstrosity bolted to the wall beside my right ear so I can hear myself think. That's the theory. A mushroom cloud over Leeds might say otherwise (no bad thing either, some might say Smile )

All the best with that, I once worked in an office at home into which the boiler vented. It had been changed by the time I was working there but it was discovered by the previous occupant - who needless to say did survive the carbon monoxide poisoning. Hope all goes well.

Sj
Steeple_jackuk
Steeple_jackuk
Cosmic Level

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Wed Aug 25 2010, 00:11

OOC I realize the following text on the pictures might be hard to read. The Red bar is for Htk, the blue for Htc. It will go lighter from right to left as your values drop. The green bars on Dave E's are for Field Manipulation and Energy attack on the bottom, again getting lighter from right to left as the values drop. These are open to more tweaking till we get a display that's acceptable to you guys. I was caught twiddling my thumbs for a bit today with a laptop I'd sorted out so had a play...

The Vanguard! Issue #4 - Knifes Edge... 6qa4v7

Putty morphs his form into an attack configuration, weapons forming at the end of long stringy arms which then proceed to pound at the furthest Ogres who are bickering with each other!

OOC 1d20+2+6=21 Hit, 2d6+18=28 Htc, 1d20+2+6=23 Hit, 2d6+18=27 Htc Both are sent staggering away a couple of metres. As your shapeshift power can't give you a weapon (that would be an extra power, only a vague shape) I'll assume the shapechanging is for flavour. In that case you have 2 more frames to use...

CLUNK! One of the Ogres staggers, looking surprised. THUNK! The other wobbles then looks about. Both glance at each other, then at the strangers they'd come to eat, and decide they are better off taking their food out BEFORE deciding who gets the spoils!

OOC Ogres 4 (taken 28htc) and 5 (taken 27 Htc) are wounded.

The Vanguard! Issue #4 - Knifes Edge... 30tksae

OOC see the updated character sheet for Frosty and let me know if any changes are needed Dave. Your 5D6 attack will cost Frosty 3 of his 15 points (2 are from grade 1 anyway). You might have to squint on the 'bar graphs' for the various levels. Needless to say when they are all the lighter shade you are out of whatever value they display. Will tweak/tinker with those, but hopefully shouldn't take as long to change the values now I have the base values in the various documents. Anyway, let's just say I had time on my hands away from my own computer today - and installed Windows for the 6 time in 3 days on the 5th different computer. Sick of seeing the windows welcome screen now!

Frostbite hovered in the air, even as the computer pointed out <<Creatures are of a species unknown to this unit. Possible metahuman or mutation, although a mystical origin, and therefore alien to this unit, cannot be ruled out given the nature of your profession.>>

Ignoring that, Frostbite cut a determined figure as he thrust a hand out, the air instantly turning white and icy as the blast caught an Ogre in the face (OOC will assume Htc unless you specify...). The Ogre staggered under the onslaught, but the follow up blast was inaccurate, and a 'scorched' area of grass glistened with ice and frost beside the Ogre.

OOC Ogre 1 has taken 18Htc. Dave M, Putty has 2 frames remaining then the Ogres last frame, then initiative...
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  DavidMcMahon Wed Aug 25 2010, 04:24

PUTTY

ooc: The graphs are kind of tight to read but readable. Or at least Putty's is. Having two extra bars to add for Frostbite does cause some squinting. Yeah, the shapechanging is all for flavor and for confusing the enemy.

Seeing the success he had, Putty lets loose two more blows at the foes he hit, one for each ogre.
DavidMcMahon
DavidMcMahon
Cosmic Level

Back to top Go down

Post  Steeple_jackuk Wed Aug 25 2010, 07:41

Frostbite

The Vanguard! Issue #4 - Knifes Edge... 30tksae

OOC: The image looks fine, but is also small even on my 19" monitor, especially the energy bars. If you could make it longer and the text so that it was at least 10 point whatever the scales read we'd get an accurate idea of how things are.

Otherwise I really like it.

Sorry to hear about your computer woe's, hope things are running as they should be now.

OK so I guess we are waiting now to see how these guys attack. Frostbite will use whatever defences needed to stave off attacks. I've seen the strength bonus these guys get and I'm keen to avoid some of that. Also yeah good call on the Field Manip attack, assume HTC unless I specifically state otherwise. HTK has too many dividers to make it a worthwhile attack for anything other than roleplaying reasons. Realistically in game terms you just get less bang for your buck when you try to hit HTK.

Sj
Steeple_jackuk
Steeple_jackuk
Cosmic Level

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Wed Aug 25 2010, 10:55

The Vanguard! Issue #4 - Knifes Edge... 242x3wn

OOC Too big? Resized for 640x480 (or at 40% for my own reference in PSP9)

Putty struck out again, and again! Hammer like fists scythed the air, but the Ogres were more wary this time...

OOC 1d20+2+6=16 Miss, 2d6+18=29, 1d20+2+6=27 Hit, 2d6+18=26 Htc

One ducked aside, bellowing "HA!" whilst the other, seeing the blow missed, grinned a gap toothed smile and said "HAuuurgggh!" as the follow up struck him directly in the face, sending the creature tumbling back and crashing to the floor in a cloud of dust!

OOC Ogre 5 is out. Remember creatures such as these would face 'normal' fantasy humans with appropriate stats. Having 25 str (they get +4 damage from the weapons they wield, from their sheer size and nastiness), 50 Htc and Htk would be tough for them. You're superhuman - these guys are easy meat Smile

The Vanguard! Issue #4 - Knifes Edge... 2mez6kg

Frostbite grinned when he saw another blow flatten one of the Ogres at the back. Against normal men these things would be formidable, lethal even if armed with automatic weapons! He was reminded just how much power metahumans wielded when even creatures of myth and legend succumbed to their power!

No need to get complacent though! The Ogres had shuffled far enough that one was on each side of a hero, able to scythe and pound with lethal looking weapons!

OOC one attack on Frostbite as one Ogre moves around, two attacks on Putty as they attack his body and one attacks his long arms, looking to cut them off! I think just one of these things with 3 frames and its stats would be able to take on a party of 'low level' adventurers... Vs Putty... 1d20+2+6=23 Hit, 2d6+14=23 Htk reduced to 5 with divs, 1d20+2+6=24 Hit, 2d6+14=18 Htk reduced to 4 with divs. Response? Vs Frostbite 1d20+2+6=17 Miss, 2d6+14=25. Initiative 1d10=8 Heroes, 1d10=6 Bad guys. 1 Frame to you guys then their three. If Puttys' taking the damage just let me know and I'll tweak the graphic Smile This is round 2 of 5 for Frosty coming up
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Steeple_jackuk Wed Aug 25 2010, 11:12

Frostbite

OOC:
Too big? Resized for 640x480
No this works fine for me, its clear and that is the main thing. Thanks

IC: Frostbite took no chances, knowing that the creature at hand could easily get lucky already floating he moved quickly to float out of reach of the Ogre's huge grasp. But not so far away as to not be able to taunt his opponent. "You sure are ugly, you've got a face even a mother couldn't love. I hate to say it but your warts look like their getting out of hand, especially that big on in the middle. Oh sorry that's your nose. But I guess you'd not be able to look, because every mirror would crack before you got to look into it."

Frostbite hated to waste their time and energy on such creatures whilst they still had so much to do. As he taunted the Ogre, he wanted him to be angry enough to do something reckless, so they could use their powers or strength against them. Primitive they may be, but Frostbite guessed even they'd have a weak spot and chucking out childish insults might just hit it - hopefully before he himself got hit.

Sj
Steeple_jackuk
Steeple_jackuk
Cosmic Level

Back to top Go down

Post  DavidMcMahon Wed Aug 25 2010, 12:21

PUTTY

ooc: This size is even better. Also going to take the damage.

"Go away," Putty says as he punches one of the ogres attacking him.

action: punch

DavidMcMahon
DavidMcMahon
Cosmic Level

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Wed Aug 25 2010, 13:15

The Vanguard! Issue #4 - Knifes Edge... 2zxr29j

OOC 1d20+2+6=11 Miss, 2d6+18=26

A wild swing from Putty saw him facing four Ogres on the ground as his team mate soared up and out of reach! Thankfully, and as Frostbite had surmised, they weren't smart enough to react quickly - if there was nothing directly in front of them to pulp into a fine red mist, they would think for a moment before looking for something else to flatten!

Still, 'flat' was only one of the things Putty did rather well - he'd taken very powerful solid shots from the Ogres, and though they'd hurt, he figured at that rate he could fight all day before feeling the effects!

The Vanguard! Issue #4 - Knifes Edge... 6z0oet

<<Tactically, your move is sound, but your team mate will be the recipient of the attacks. Bearing in mind your role as team leader and natural instincts to protect others this unit considers the move contrary to your goals. Self preservation at the expense of others is sometimes necessary, but your organic functions are currently at peak levels.>> said the Computer helpfully, even as Frostbite floated 15m up!

Sure enough, the Ogres looked up, the two surrounding Frostbite turned instead to Putty and moved over (OOC 2 frames, 1 to be a bit thick, one to move). The two already on either side looked up. One growled "Get yer own nosh! We saw 'im first!" in an accent not unlike a sarf Landan taxi cab driver.

Nonetheless, the two already on Putty hammered blows down (OOC 3 from each) and one of the extra Ogres was able to get in an extra swing (OOC no room for the last one - they are too big. Might have gotten four round Stormwarden but a miss would have meant hitting one another).

OOC 1d20+2+6=16 Miss, 2d6+14=18, 1d20+2+6=18 Hit, 2d6+14=19 Htk /4 =4, 1d20+2+6=16 Miss, 2d6+14=23, 1d20+2+6=19 Miss, 2d6+14=21 Htk /5 =5, 1d20+2+6=15 Miss, 2d6+14=23, 1d20+2+6=21 Hit, 2d6+14=20 Htk /4 =5, 1d20+2+6=26 Hit, 2d6+14=21 Htk /4 =5. That makes a total of 19Htk. Could have been worse. Response?

Buried under a seeming flurry of blows, with hardly any place to run, Putty still ducked this way and that, malleable form bending with every lethal strike on his body! Frostbite looked on it horror as the things seemed frenzied, determined to bludgeon the life from his friend! For his part Putty was, frankly, amazed! A normal person would have been utterly smashed into a smear with every blow, never mind a rain of them! Despite the strikes he still felt... well.. in pretty good shape!

OOC Any responses, then your 3 frames ...
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Steeple_jackuk Wed Aug 25 2010, 13:41

Frostbite

Disappointed with himself for his tactical blunder, Frostbite speed down to the pack of Ogre's already tired of this fight. He used his height to lunch an attack on two of the Ogre's before grabbing Putty's limb and trying to pull him free.

OOC:

Ok Dave I want to try and pull you out of the fix, first I'll try and hit the back of the creatures, and then try and grab you out of there. Unless there is any reason to hang around I suggest we high tail it on to the castle we saw when we first arrived. No sense in wasting time or energy or HTK.

So Energy attack Ermm, I just realised that although the scale shows me how much is left in general terms, I can't say in specific terms what I actually have left? Is that 8 dice or 7? I know its 8 because I used 7 before, but it might be nice to have a scale or just actual number as well as the graphic chart? I dunno, what do you think?

Anyway 8 Dice (lets hope this isn't wasted) and I think I get +2 from hitting above?

1d20+3+2+6=27

hit then, spread between the two so 5 HTC/3HTK = 5d6, 3d6=[6, 6, 1, 2, 1], [3, 1, 3] 15 HTC/ 7 HTK.

Then make a grab for my team mate, having shouted or communicated something prior so he is ready.

Oh unless of course I can't make a grab in a frame, in which case ignore the above and just go for the grab, hoping the ogre's don't counter grab him back. In a tug of war I'd loose.

If you need a to hit 1d20+3+6=11 Ugh, well that would be a fail.

Sj

Steeple_jackuk
Steeple_jackuk
Cosmic Level

Back to top Go down

Post  DavidMcMahon Wed Aug 25 2010, 16:35

PUTTY

Then make a grab for my team mate, having shouted or communicated something prior so he is ready.

Putty, being warned what his teammate wanted to do, stretched up an arm, forming a large loop that would allow Frostbite to fly through it and snag him.

With his other arm and feet, he kept pummeling away at any ogre near him, ignoring any damage. And with his very long reach, he would be able to continue pummeling as Frostbite flew away with him.

actions: stretch arm up to make it easy to grab him. Punch away, stretching as needed, with remaining frames. No dodge.

"I'm gonna make Monster Pancakes out of you," Putty yelled as he flailed away with one arm and his legs.
DavidMcMahon
DavidMcMahon
Cosmic Level

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 13 1, 2, 3 ... 11, 12, 13  Next