The Vanguard Play by Post Roleplaying Game
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The NEW Vanguard Issue #2 - Frostbite/Silver Sentinel/Lionheart - All quiet on the western front?

5 posters

Page 2 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down

The NEW Vanguard Issue #2 - Frostbite/Silver Sentinel/Lionheart - All quiet on the western front? - Page 2 Empty Re: The NEW Vanguard Issue #2 - Frostbite/Silver Sentinel/Lionheart - All quiet on the western front?

Post  Admin Wed Jul 31 2013, 01:12

OOC Each 'Sentinel'/Drone would take a round to knock up. There's no reason why he can't command all of them to attack the same target though (they'd have to have some semblance of Intelligence to be able to attack a target or go someplace and not require total concentration). Sentinel can imbue on them a form of metallic brain - he doesn't have to know how it works, just that his power sorts it out Smile Best not to think in terms of physics in a supers game anyway...With regards what Sentinel wants to cook up, is it... a suit? A robot? Several robots? A ray gun? A set of ladders (? I dunno, maybe he wants to... no, I got nothing on the ladders). Anything he makes will require a couple of rolls and some stats quickly cooking up.

Android Andy looked to Lionheart and Silver Sentinel "It is possible the advanced sensor countermeasures I have installed are still not quite as good I I hoped they might be." admitted the Android, sheepishly.

"Wandafar will be most displeased, but he did admit to 'knocking out the idea whilst he was doing a crossword and sat on the toilet', whatever that means." said the Android, completely deadpan. "With more time and resources its possible he could improve on their function. For now, perhaps I could 'lead the chasing pack off' and buy you time to get into the facility?" he suggested.

=========

Frostbite moved to the tunnel end which curved and split into half a dozen others feeding not just heating but possibly some crude form of 'geo thermic' power in the form of steam turbines at regular intervals along the corridor.

Had Frostbite not been dispersed he'd have had to freeze or break the turbines to carry on (and gotten scalded by super hot steam in the process) and detection would have been a formality. As it was he got to a corridor end where it turned and poked hi head out through a wall into a brightly lit square 10' x 10' corridor going east/west and lined with white panels. Further down the corridor to the east was a door set in the wall. Frostbot brought his hosts attention to dome cameras set in the ceiling.

"It's possible that motion sensors, along with heat, electrical and sound detection capabilities are built in." explained the program. "Perhaps there may be a way to access the security network by entering the camera, though you would have to come from a 'blind' direction so as not to be seen..."

Admin
Admin
Admin

https://darkeningshadows.darkbb.com

Back to top Go down

The NEW Vanguard Issue #2 - Frostbite/Silver Sentinel/Lionheart - All quiet on the western front? - Page 2 Empty Re: The NEW Vanguard Issue #2 - Frostbite/Silver Sentinel/Lionheart - All quiet on the western front?

Post  Steeple_jackuk Wed Jul 31 2013, 07:16

Admin wrote:
"It's possible that motion sensors, along with heat, electrical and sound detection capabilities are built in." explained the program. "Perhaps there may be a way to access the security network by entering the camera, though you would have to come from a 'blind' direction so as not to be seen..."

Hmm, Frostbite thought, what would be more blind than from above, he floated up the wall and across dispersing down through the ceiling so his body was hovering above the bulb and partly submerged into the ceiling.  "Here goes..."  He said to himself, wondering what Frostbot might encounter by way of counter measures.  

OOC: "OK since we are waiting on Sentinel to decide what he wants to cook up.  Ross just a tip mate, its much better if you state up front everything you'd like to do or think you can do, then let Paul sort it out.  Otherwise if you leave it vague you are back and forth just trying to make a decision with no action actually progressing.  Make a statement, I will do this.  But then if you are unsure as to how wise that would be, counter it with, 'however in the event that, or just in case, or as well...' that way you can add in extra bits in case your original plan isn't a good one and let Paul know you intend.  Clearly we are sometimes making decisions for our characters, in which they will know more than we would, but the information isn't available to us.  So if all else fails you can always ask for Paul's best suggestion, and ask him to implement it.  That way you know better for next time, if you're not sure what to do.  And occasionally I have been totally stumped as well.  

Right with Sentinel having to make a decision about building his suit or his army, or in what order..."

"Hmmm, maybe, two is better than one.  Sentinel, the army can wait till we get inside, yourself suited up first, better make sure you've got all you need, in case our plan fails or we get detected anyway.  Andy you lead the way and I'll run interference, get them away from this area and see if Sentinel, can't help Frostbite break in."

With that Lionheart zipped off into the direction the sound was coming from, but not before telling Andy, "You start to lead them off, I'll follow and take them out from behind."

Sj
Steeple_jackuk
Steeple_jackuk
Cosmic Level

Back to top Go down

Post  dunecat Tue Aug 06 2013, 02:47

I think the best solution to wanting to make extra sentinel drones is the 'split' power. Silver Sentinel can access it via his metal manipulation.

Split creates an exact copy of your character, except that both it, and you lose 1 AP from every single ability you have. That would take away the need to create some kind of brain for the creation, as you already are creating something with mental abilities. You do however retain full control of the duplicates actions. Very powerful when used right despite the drawback. Just a thought!

dunecat
Class 2 Hero (Low level superhuman)

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Wed Aug 07 2013, 15:53

OOC Up to eyeballs this week - no change there then. My sons birthday today so been rushing round the last few days to sort things out. Should be more 'back to normal' from Thursday, if you can call 12 hour shifts and entertaining the kids when I get home 'normal'. Just sat in a sidings waiting for a train to turn up so have chance for a quick update hopefully. EDIT: this is the THIRD time I've tried to complete this post. Been one of those days, sorry Sad

Frostbite placed a hand inside the camera from above, his body submerged into the ceiling...

Instantly he felt the tingle that meant Frostbot had left his body and was attacking the networked systems of this place. Frostbite waited for an update, hand still placed inside the camera...

'Incredible countermeasures... self replicating programs... like antibodies... advanced beyond this era... ah ha! A breakthrough... second level encryption broken... snippets coming through... that's Impossible. The man is dead... Wait... I... skrrrrzzzzz' said Frostbot inside Frostbites mind...

Once again Frostbot had been 'attacked' figured Frostbite, and it seemed the program, whilst more advanced than anything even this era could produce, was still vulnerable to the kinds of incredible super genius that this 'brave new world' had to offer. Alien minds, futurists, time travellers even, all had ways and means of doing things that meant Frostbot needed to constantly adapt in order to survive.

Then something else happened...

'A sneaky mouse, inside my house...' Frostbite heard the voice in his head and though it was metallic, robotic sounding, was pretty sure he'd heard something of it - the tone or inflection - before. 'What have we here, a little man with a prying ea...' silence.

'I know you... how did you survive? No matter, I will soon... skrrrzzzz'

Frostbite shuddered, and Frostbot spoke inside his head 'Rebooting. Complete. The information you require is that Wandafar is being held 300m to your left and down 10m. Security cameras show he is strapped into a machine and there are guards in the room of the kind you encountered before. Cyborgs.' Frostbite heard a change in Frostbots voice - he, or rather 'it' was all business and lacking some of the personality that had been present before.

'This unit was also able to glean another piece of information. Claude Bentham.'

Bentham. The amazing, evil, genius from Lionhearts time, a man almost completely responsible for the incredible program of training and genetic enhancement that had given Lionheart and hundreds of others like him their powers. He and Damon Trowers had come back in time to alter it to their design, and sought Lionheart out as the final piece of their puzzle. Lionheart who was the ultimate evolution of the PSI Corps operatives, a man that bridged the flawed - and dangerous - 1st generation Corps with the much more versatile but 'blunted' second generation. Bentham and Trowers had failed, and as far as anyone knew, both had perished on the moon in 1941. Had Bentham somehow survived? What was his business with Wandafar?

Frostbite heard the clank of dozens of footsteps coming in his direction from the corridor. Cyborgs. Of course - they had been adept at using the dead, creating unkillable soldiers who could ignore the rigours of most environments, including space. Bentham had done the same, but enhanced them with cyborg technology, as much as this era could easily mass produce.

Someone like Wandafar, and others like him, genius inventors and futurists, would be invaluable to Benthams plans to enhance and expand his 'Necro Corps'. Who else would be a target for the evil genius from the future?

Frostbot interrupted Frostbites train of thought 'An alarm has been raised - silently - but this unit can detect it nonetheless. Your intangible form cannot be detected by conventional means, but the creator of this facility is not conventional. This unit advises you to 'expect the unexpected' so to speak.'

OOC An enemy from the future/past, still around to haunt you? How did he survive? What are his overall plans? What does he plan next? Can anyone stop the menace of ... Claude Bentham? Yeah, that doesn't sound so menacing. Need to come up with a super villain name so he doesn't get laughed at when the annual Villain get togethers come around. Anyway, 'Necro Corps' are closing in on your position, and a silent alarm has gone off in this place. The others might be blundering into something unless Frostbite warns them - but he also knows where Wandafar is... head for the little guy, go warn the others, or find out more about the menace of Claude Bentham and how he survived?
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  smaug Wed Aug 07 2013, 21:25

"A silent alarm has been activated" announced Andy

"How do you know if its silent?" exclaimed sentinel "You know what never mind. So much for weighing up pro's and con's for making my army of stunning handsome heroes".

OOC: Im unsure of Andy's weaponry.....in a clean way.

Sentinel quickly refreshed his some what tarnished suit as Andy placed a heavy hand on Steve's shoulder causing him catch his heart in his chest as he swore under his breathe.

"You know human i could have the ability to modifie the visual parameters of your primitive armour"

"What in gods name are you calling about?"

"Combining our efforts you can cloak at will"

OOC: Can i try this?
Even if i can't can i equip the suit with some kind of power sword or something as a silent weapon to keep the enemy guessing where we are.
My plan is A; fight our way to Dave as im guessing we have no comms and i have no IC knowledge of where wandafar is or
B; fight our way in and defeat as many of the enemy as we can so Dave has a clear shot?

smaug
Class 4 Hero (Powerful Superhuman)

Back to top Go down

Post  Steeple_jackuk Thu Aug 08 2013, 08:14

OOC: "well that was fun, you caught me out again, no message to tell me that either you or Ross had updated. Anyway am just away seeing family for a few days, will update as I can.  Sorry to hear about the juggling, but I can assure you this time comes to an end, just hang in there mate Arrow       "

Sj
Steeple_jackuk
Steeple_jackuk
Cosmic Level

Back to top Go down

Post  DavidMcMahon Thu Aug 08 2013, 13:27

Can anyone stop the menace of ... Claude Bentham? Yeah, that doesn't sound so menacing. Need to come up with a super villain name so he doesn't get laughed at when the annual Villain get togethers come around.

ooc: Dr. Necropolis? Prof. Mortuary? Mr. Undead? The Ever-Living Man?
DavidMcMahon
DavidMcMahon
Cosmic Level

Back to top Go down

Post  Steeple_jackuk Fri Aug 09 2013, 12:09

Frostbite knew that time was of the essence, take to long and Bentham would have organised his defences so that Wandafar would be beyond them permanently.  All he could hope to do, was himself to try the unexpected.  Taking not of the distance and direction indicated by Frostbot, Frostbite, wasted no time flying at full speed in that direction.  

Meanwhile outside, Lionheart realised that if the danger was coming toward them, they had better get inside.  If by some means Frostbite was captured, or unable to get to them, causing as much disruption within the base, might be the only cover they could provide to rescue Wandafar.  He didn't like the odds, this felt more like blundering into the base, with size 12 boots and banging cymbals but what else could they do?

Lionheart looked approvingly at Sentinel's new armour, before adding. "Ok now you've done getting dressed, I suggest you tear open the doors, to this place and star putting those metal morphing powers to good use, so we can cause as much disruption, by which Frostbite can either get to us, or get to Wandafar whilst we create a big distraction."

Whilst Sentinel readied himself, Lionheart moved over to where the door was and began to run around drawing attention to himself, so that any defences that went off, didn't hit Sentinel whilst he concentrated on the doors.  

Sj
Steeple_jackuk
Steeple_jackuk
Cosmic Level

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Tue Aug 13 2013, 19:55

OOC Sentinel can try to make just about anything that technology - either current or 'near future' can create. He's basically limited by his imagination as his power is simple to 'make something' - like a car. He doesn't have to design every nut, bolt, gasket, pump and fill it with oil, for instance. His power takes care of all of that.Like Green Lantern, save with metal instead of green energy.

So let's see - Sentinel wants a suit with... Protection? Flight? Energy Blast? Strength? (The standard) with the ability to 'cloak'? What Sentinel actually does is magic (the Fabricate power) but shhhh don't tell him - it was the best way of fitting what he can do (turn metal into objects of amazing futuristic complexity like Irons Mans suit, with just a wave of his hand).

Let's see... Suit has Body, Strength, Skin Amour, Flight, Energy Blast and Invisibility. Let's say the highest attribute is Energy Blast (10) and the others are all 10 too. That makes it a check of 15 (Sentinels Fabricate) vs 15 (opposing value of the suits creation).

First, we roll Metal Manipulation (a 'weakness' that requires Sentinel to pass a check on this first before he can make anything) roll 2d10 → [5,8] = (13) Passed.

Now the suit. Target number is 11+. Roll 2d10 → [5,5] = (10) Ten. Oh dear.

Hold on. That's a double :)Follow up 2d10 → [5,6] = (11) Total is 21. 9RAPs of time (suit lasts for 1/2 an hour) and Reliability number is 3, meaning a roll of 2 or 3 on the dice will mean the suit conks out, so it's pretty reliable.

Silver Sentinel therefore has stats of : 7Dex 10Str 10Body 10 Skin Armour, 10 Flight, 10 Energy Blast, 10 Invisibility and the suit lasts 30 minutes with a reliability number of 3. Bet Tony Stark wishes he could whip them up as quick...

Android Andy stands back as the metal reforms from cubed junk that had been missiles into a silver liquid that forms and hardens across Silver Sentinels body!

With a glance inside the helmet Silver Sentinel stares at a molecule of metal and something happens...

Lionheart, with his myriad senses, watches Sentinel disappear. He can still 'see' Sentinel - just not with his eyes. Android Andy is equally impressed. "Your ability to reshape metal at will makes you a formidable friend to have, seeing as my body is composed of a number of metal alloys. Or an enemy to be feared. I hereby suggest from this moment on we be fiercely loyal companions and never fall out over anything, ever."

OOC I can't help but think of Kryten when I think of Android Andy...

"As for my detection of the 'silent' alarm, it is simply an electrical signal that can be interpreted by my positronic matrix." he explained. He paused for a moment, seeing Sentinels nonplussed metal expression. "My Brain can hear electrical impulses and signals."

Lionheart realised that if the danger was coming toward them, they had better get inside.  If by some means Frostbite was captured, or unable to get to them, causing as much disruption within the base, might be the only cover they could provide to rescue Wandafar.  He didn't like the odds, this felt more like blundering into the base, with size 12 boots and banging cymbals but what else could they do?

Lionheart looked approvingly at Sentinel's new armour, before adding. "Ok now you've done getting dressed, I suggest you tear open the doors, to this place and star putting those metal morphing powers to good use, so we can cause as much disruption, by which Frostbite can either get to us, or get to Wandafar whilst we create a big distraction."

Whilst Sentinel readied himself, Lionheart moved over to where the door was and began to run around drawing attention to himself, so that any defences that went off, didn't hit Sentinel whilst he concentrated on the doors.

His superhuman senses could hear the clank of metal getting closer and it was clear they were about to face more of the exploding monstrosities that had taken them by surprise earlier! Without wasting any more time they went over to the concealed metal doors, and not a second too soon! Lazer beams lanced from the trees, impacting the ground where they'd been a heartbeat before! Sentinel and Andy flew over to the holographically concealed door and... sure enough... when they broke the beams of a number of well concealed (in fake rocks and the like) emitters they revealed the doors themselves - two great slabs of reinforced steel standing in the hillside at an angle. Big enough - when slid to the sides - to admit a tank looking at the size of it. What - or who - would need such a large door to enter the side of a hill?

Lionheart turned. Some 100 or so yards away the first Necro-Borgs leapt from the cover of trees, landed, and levelled arms at the unusual trio!

Android Andy turned "Perhaps I should stall them. My sacrifice might buy enough time to ensure Wandafars safe retrieval."

OOC You guys win initiative with Lionheart, Sentinel, Android Andy and Necro Corps acting in that order. They are 100 yards away, three of them (so far) and you have a large slab of a metal door, some 4m high and each door was 4m across, joining in the middle and sliding to the sides. It's at an angle, leaning back against the hillside. Lionhearts danger sense suggests there will be automated defences springing up any second, too...

Frostbites update later (probably something stupid like 05.30 in the morning - I have to go for my train now Sad)
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Steeple_jackuk Tue Aug 13 2013, 20:12

Admin wrote:Android Andy turned "Perhaps I should stall them. My sacrifice might buy enough time to ensure Wandafars safe retrieval."

OOC You guys win initiative with Lionheart, Sentinel, Android Andy and Necro Corps acting in that order. They are 100 yards away, three of them (so far) and you have a large slab of a metal door, some 4m high and each door was 4m across, joining in the middle and sliding to the sides. It's at an angle, leaning back against the hillside. Lionhearts danger sense suggests there will be automated defences springing up any second, too...
"Sure you sacrifice yourself, whilst we take on the rest of the base.  Hmm on second thoughts...cover me!"

Lionheart quipped as behind him Sentinel readied his powers to open up a ton of metal.  Lionheart sped off at his considerable speed, forcefield full charged he went straight at the creatures before him.  Seeing to draw their aim to him, whilst Andy, could fire at them, or so he hoped.  

OOC: "My aim is to be the priority, so Andy can take them down as I blast in, seeking to bowl over any that are left.  I'm not interested in killing them, with their nasty explosions, but certainly in buying us time to get in.  Frostbite can wait for when you're ready.  Almost tempted to say I'm chilled, but thats too corny even for me Very Happy "

Sj
Steeple_jackuk
Steeple_jackuk
Cosmic Level

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Fri Aug 16 2013, 00:26

Frostbite soared through walls and pipes as if they were the ghost, and he solid...

With the Frostbot guiding him unerringly towards his target Frostbite was there in moments...

Into a large darkened room with a bright spotlight shining down on half a dozen dentist style chairs, albeit ones that strapped the three occupants (the other three were empty) in. One of the chairs held Wandafar, another held a man in a suit and white coat, half of his face melted, like plastic. The last occupied chair held a fellow with pale purple skin and what looked to be a glass dome for a skull, the dark purple brains inside clearly visible. His clothes - contrasted with his skin - they were bright green and red, and looked like a jump suit. He'd have stood out in a crowd.

All three hung limp, probably unconscious, and wires trailed from their heads onto apparatus that might have looked similar to a hair dryer hanging from the ceiling were it not for the grey skinned cyborgs walking here and there, working at banks of computers against the walls which were shrouded in a darkness that seemed to bother them not one bit.

Frostbite counted six... no, seven.

The NEW Vanguard Issue #2 - Frostbite/Silver Sentinel/Lionheart - All quiet on the western front? - Page 2 Borg_2366

OOC Um, I shrunk this to 30% so I hope it fits. If you need it smaller, holler.

As he floated near the ceiling he saw other machines - pumps, glowing green cylinders, more computers that looked like mainframes, all manner of electrical generator doohickeys that sparked between electrodes and more besides.

'Initial analysis would suggest the apparatus in this room have the purpose of somehow copying or draining the mental impulses given off by the occupants of those chairs. Impressive. This unit desires to analyse the code to achieve such a feat. The technology to accomplish this action is way beyond that known in this era.' said Frostbot.

One of the Necro Bots turned to look up into the darkness, in Frostbites direction.

Then all of them turned, ejecting weapons from their hands and training them on the superhero floating near the ceiling! Though intangible, for all intents and purposes, Frostbite wasn't sure if these things had other tricks up their metal sleeves!
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Steeple_jackuk Fri Aug 16 2013, 07:44

Admin wrote:
Then all of them turned, ejecting weapons from their hands and training them on the superhero floating near the ceiling! Though intangible, for all intents and purposes, Frostbite wasn't sure if these things had other tricks up their metal sleeves!
OOC: "Picture was fine, thanks."

No doubt the Necro Borgs, were controlled centrally, some sort of hive brain.  He realised that letting Frostbot loose at this stage might be useless, his presence having already been detected, but that didn't mean Frostbite couldn't take more direct action.  

Moving toward Wandafar, he looked with eyes that saw beyond the mere physical.  "Frostbot, can't chance you getting lost or attacked in this stuff...."  He said within himself.  "But I am willing to bet, if these creatures sort to attack me, and I was able to move quick enough we'd get them to damage the control panels behind.  Hopefully they won't self destruct, unless its a no win situation.  My guess is Wandafar is too important to be damaged easily.  Lets hope so anyway."

With that Frostbite began to ice the straps that held his friend down, so that with but a simple punch he could shatter them and free his friend.  But he did so weary of the guards who might at any moment attack.  

OOC: "Ok so if that wasn't clear, I will attempt to rescue Wandafar, no point being subtle, since I've no idea what I'm up against until I draw them out.  If they go to attack me, with a beam weapon then I will try and dodge or if it seems more expedient deflect as we used to parry in GH/SQuk rules.  If they come in for a Physical attack, I will simply ice everything in the room to the spot. Hopefully that way I can conserve my resources, for getting out again."

Sj
Steeple_jackuk
Steeple_jackuk
Cosmic Level

Back to top Go down

Post  smaug Sat Aug 17 2013, 13:23

OOC: Thought i was weird you guys not posting for a week, bloody lack of notifications.

Sentinels plan is to wipe out any guards, objects or doors etc on the way to wandafar to give Dave a clear run then sentinel was going to turn tactics and be a diversion for the break out as not being funny i think he would be the best at dealing with the half metal menace. Cue sentinel dialog for when we badass' break out wandafar.....

IC: "You and Andy get him clear I've got these punks sorted, I'll throw them off the scent and meet you chaps back the the rendezvous."

"COME ON YOU RASCALS LET HAVE IT" Sentinel announced as he bounded off in the opposite direction

"He sure is quite spirited" exclaimed Andy as he stared in wonder at the mysteries of human behaviour but quickly snapped out of it as time was indeed of the essence and ushered a very exhausted wandafar to his feet only to be accompanied by the distant shouts of sentinel declaring he was an all you can eat buffet to his foes.

smaug

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Mon Aug 19 2013, 00:36

OOC Just about run out of time but Ross/Sentinel will be next update (probably in the morning, or later on now anyway - up in 5 hours...) With regards defence, Frostbites options are a little limited in that he's not the acrobatic  type like Lionheart, but he could create an ice barrier with body of 11 (one better than his own body) as an automatic action. His dice action is the (called shot) 'attack' on the straps restraining Wandafar. With regards defence Frostbites Dexterity (8) provides that automatically. It's one of the systems weaknesses actually, because it means he dodges as well as he fights, but that's not always the case in comics (Hulk springs to mind, as do most bruisers - they fight far better than they get out of the way of punches).

Anyway, rules comments aside, roll for the called shot is 2d10 → [7,6] = (13) Success.

Frostbite turned tangible and threw up a thick ice barrier stretching from the floor between himself and his enemies!

They opened fire with powerful blasters immediately, and the ice wouldn't hold them for long, Frostbite knew! He'd accomplished his objective, however, with the bands holding Wandafar in place turning the pale blue he knew that would signify the restraints could easily shatter with just one tender superhuman tap from his icy fists!

Blasts rang out, and Frostbite tried his best to ignore them...

OOC Blasts from the necro Borgs... 2d10 → [1,2] = (3) FAILURE, POWER BURNOUT
2d10 → [8,4] = (12) Success, the barrier breaks with a hole big enough to shoot through
2d10 → [1,1] = (2) FAILURE, POWER BURNOUT

Two of three Necro Borgs able to blast without moving found their laser weapons failing, and meant that they would need to engage the intruder hand to hand!

Another two of the cyborgs moved to a panel and worked at dizzying speed, their hands dancing across panels... a panel in the roof opened and a dish whirred into life and started to hum... whatever that was, it was about to do something... The last cyborg moved to the ice and started to hammer at it, breaking chunks free and pretty much making a hole large enough to crash through (OOC Next round)

Frostbite flew down to land next to his friend... with a glance behind him he saw the Ice Wall shattered and crash to the floor! Only 4m away were four necro borgs - pretty much within grabbing/punching distance! He had to be quick - or lucky - if he were to get his friend out! And that dish on the roof spelled trouble... It started to glow and crackle...

OOC Free wandafar (takes your dice action to break the weakened shackles) or go on the offensive/defensive/a bit of both?
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Steeple_jackuk Mon Aug 19 2013, 08:13

Admin wrote:OOC Free wandafar (takes your dice action to break the weakened shackles) or go on the offensive/defensive/a bit of both?
Frostbite was out of time and out of options, so but if he could get Wandafar free, it might offer him possibilities. the man was a genius, if he could be roused, he would be a big help in the fight.  Lashing out with his icey fists, Frostbite attempted to break his friend free.  

OOC: "So with no hero points its evident that I am largely in the hands of the dice.  Well let them fall where they may.  Fortune favours the bold - at least I hope so ;-)"

Sj
Steeple_jackuk
Steeple_jackuk
Cosmic Level

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Tue Aug 20 2013, 00:03

OOC Just an update on location:

Lionheart, Android Andy and Silver Sentinel are outside having uncovered the main entrance which had been  obscured by a holograph emitter. They have incoming cyborgs leaping towards them and firing laser beams.

Frostbite is deep inside the base itself, able to move through solid walls and objects. He found Wandafar (thanks to Frostbot) and is battling half a dozen Necro borgs in an attempt to free the tiny genius. There are two others held captive in the room, neither human looking, and are are hooked up to a series of machines hanging from the ceiling, purpose unknown.

Lionheart sped off towards the Necro Borg, forcefield on and determined to slow down the deadly creatures, but not take them out - he'd already been taken by surprise once. Twice would count as carelessness!

He counted four coming from the trees, but his superhuman senses detected movement, sound, the smell of ozone which was a characteristic from the weapons the cyborgs were using... He turned, and three more came from the left.

Then the forest seemed to burst with life as he counted a total of twelve of the deadly cyborgs, all at varying distances but determined to defend the base with their very existence!

Behind him Silver Sentinel turned to the doors. He sensed the metal, noting with interest the mix of alloy, steel and power cables running through the door. He wasn't sure what the power did, aside from open the great, thick doors, but it didn't really matter to him...

OOC Magnetic Control against these heavy (50 ton!) doors... Magnetic Control 11 vs weight (11APs) means a roll of 11 or more required to move them... Roll 2d10 → [10,10] = (20) DOUBLE! That's more than enough on its own but the follow up gives... 2d10 → [5,6] = (11) A total of 31! 6 Column Shifts, the doors are ripped clean from the hinges and can be tossed up to 2 miles away, or...

Sentinel turned, narrowed his eyes and gestured... the colossal doors groaned and tore free of their moorings, sparking electricity as severed cables split and sparked, lighting up the 'lobby' a large entrance hall sloping into the hillside... The man from the 1940s fired the door towards the largest concentration of Necro Borgs behind them... The rough general direction would do - they were quite some distance away yet, but the huge doors would give them something to think about!

Android Andy had pointed his hands at the oncoming Necro Borgs but turned, and spoke to Silver Sentinel "We have more company..." he stated.

The NEW Vanguard Issue #2 - Frostbite/Silver Sentinel/Lionheart - All quiet on the western front? - Page 2 Borg

Twelve behind them... at least that many in front!

Meanwhile Lionheart sped towards the Necro Borg and came up against three close together!

OOC I really need to write up Lionheart in a more easily accessed manner and *sigh* re-jig Sentinel. Been promising to do it for months...

Right then, Lionheart has his mental Energy (8APs of Power Reserve) to apply to certain abilities (Str, Empathy, Mental Blast, Mind Blast, Mind Probe, Telekinesis, Telepathy, Postcognition, Superspeed). I expect Superspeed to be the power of choice - you can bump up Lionhearts Dexterity to 22 which is very useful indeed... Add to that the fact he can use Martial Artist to bump his Effect value from 8 (strength) to 22 when fighting against nonliving objects/creatures such as these as it is 'linked' to his Dexterity (which is now 22).

The downside to that is using power reserve is potentially harmful to Lionheart - if he uses 8APs it 'attacks' his Body of 9. That's not so bad - a roll of 15 is required to actually hurt him, so I will assume he takes that risk, and assume he takes out three of the Necro Borgs, but holds back on actually trying to destroy them so doesn't go for a critical blow or devastating strike.

Lionhearts attack vs 3 Necro Borg... Roll of 4 (!) or more required... Roll 2d10 → [8,5] = (13) Hit, 13RAPs damage, DESPITE the Necro Borg using their Force Shields!

The Necro Borg EXPLODE!!!

Furthermore the 'Fatiguing' effect of Power Reserve on Lionheart... Roll 2d10 → [8,9] = (17) Ouch. He takes 2 Body damage and Lionheart is on 7 Body (out of 9)

Android Andy and Silver Sentinel turn at the sound and see a billowing mushroom of fire and smoke where their team mate had been!

OOC Bomb attack, three times against Lionheart, who has his Forcefield up. Rolls:

2d10 → [8,2] = (10) MISS
2d10 → [5,6] = (11) MISS
2d10 → [8,7] = (15) HIT, but it's not enough to penetrate the force field...

Lionheart spins, ducks, twists and rolls as fire/concussive force slams into him! The Forcefield does its job as he catches a face full... and comes away un-singed! He stands in a wide crater which burns and smokes, and there are only fragments of the Necro Borgs! Turning, he sees the other nine incoming enemy heading towards his friends - who have a small army waiting for them inside the entrance tunnel!!!

OOC Ok, declare actions for next round. Android Andy has activated various defensive systems, Sentinel has ripped the doors off the base, only to find another army waiting for them! He tossed the gates towards a group and as a result four of them are struggling around/through that wreckage so can't get a clear shot. That leaves 5 near Lionheart. All in all you might have as many as 21 facing you, as they seem to operate in dozens...

So, declare...

One Dice action - this is usually your attack. Declare how many you intend to target. You are more effective against single foes, but when faced with armies of these things, it's best to take on 4,8 or 15 if you are trying to take on a mob. Lionheart is best suited to take on the larger number, but Sentinel can cube these things with a decent roll, just depends on whether he choose to take on a few, or many, and that pesky dice roll...
One Movement action - unless you intend to stand your ground, in which case you have two of the following...
One non move/dice action such as picking something up, using an 'automatic' power
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Steeple_jackuk Tue Aug 20 2013, 08:09

Admin wrote:So, declare...

One Dice action - this is usually your attack. Declare how many you intend to target. You are more effective against single foes, but when faced with armies of these things, it's best to take on 4,8 or 15 if you are trying to take on a mob. Lionheart is best suited to take on the larger number, but Sentinel can cube these things with a decent roll, just depends on whether he choose to take on a few, or many, and that pesky dice roll...
One Movement action - unless you intend to stand your ground, in which case you have two of the following...
One non move/dice action such as picking something up, using an 'automatic' power
An odd thought occurred to Lionheart, a creeping feeling that the Necro Borg existed in this time line made his awfully suspicious.  But he had to put the thought to one side.  For now fighting these things and drawing attention to themselves was what they wanted so that Frostbite could accomplish his task; getting to Wandafar.  It was evident from the guards that sneaking in was never really a realistic option, anyway. So the direct approach seemed best.

"I'm alright, I'm alright..." Lionheart fained injury as the Necro Borgs came closer and then struck again, moving at blinding speed he aimed his blow at one, hoping that if he hit appropriately it would collied and explode with its fellows around.  

OOC: "Ok so going for hitting as many as I can, tactically trying to knock one so hard it hits the others like nine pins, but you know I'll settle for however you want to play this."

Sj
Steeple_jackuk
Steeple_jackuk
Cosmic Level

Back to top Go down

Post  smaug Sat Aug 24 2013, 09:37

OOC: Me too, stand my ground and never leave a man behind. Your right cubing is far more effective but is there anyway i could target the drones in the middle and turn them into some kind of shrapnel producing bombs like grenades or claymores to try and take out the others surrounding them? P.S. Love the doors as fly swatters idea.

IC: "What say you should we stay like polite guests?"

smaug

Back to top Go down

Post  Steeple_jackuk Sat Aug 24 2013, 20:12

smaug wrote:OOC: Me too, stand my ground and never leave a man behind. Your right cubing is far more effective but is there anyway i could target the drones in the middle and turn them into some kind of shrapnel producing bombs like grenades or claymores to try and take out the others surrounding them? P.S. Love the doors as fly swatters idea.

IC: "What say you should we stay like polite guests?"
OOC: "Ross, did you see the other thread https://darkeningshadows.darkbb.com/t146-silver-sentinel, about rebuilding Sentinels powers?"

Sj
Steeple_jackuk
Steeple_jackuk
Cosmic Level

Back to top Go down

Post  dunecat Sat Aug 24 2013, 21:55

Even without rebuilding his powers, Sentinel could take the metal in one and turn it into a bomb with 11 in the bomb power, then limit the blast radius with a drawback - Paul lets manipulation powers gain. A bonus when doing that - and set off a 12 or 13 AP bomb power. The drawback for range Is important or you would all be in the blast radius.

dunecat

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Mon Aug 26 2013, 00:34

Lionheart B9 M7/9 Sp9

With his incredible Speed, Lionheart knew he stood a good chance of taking some of these things out...

How many was the question.

OOC Knowing that the Forcefield just about keeps the explosions out, I'll assume Lionheart doesn't mess around. He's getting the hang of his powers now, and his amazing (astonishing, more like) Agility and hand eye coordination makes him a real demon in a scrap! Coupled with the Martial Artist boosting to his Dex level (of 22) against nonliving things with his 1000 karate chops a second, and ... well these things are on borrowed time!

Ok, power reserve, 6APs, boosting Superspeed to 14, which adds to Dex. Dex shoots up to 22 points, Martial Artist goes up with it. 22 Av vs OV of 16-18 (he's going for 15 opponents) means a roll of 7 or more required to hit. You've not been doing too badly lately Dave so I will assume you want to make sure they go down, and Lionheart applies a Critical Blow (like a called shot in combat, going for an opponents vitals - makes it harder to hit but when you do...? Ouch.). That bumps up the target number to 11. No one said Superheroics would be easy...

Roll 5... 6 (11) Hit, on the dot! Damage is 11RAPs on each, and that's despite a Borg like Force Shield springing up to defend them!

Kaboom!

Ok, here's where Invisible castle helps me out with a bunch of rolls.

Bomb (13APs) attack against Lionheart. Assumed that Lionheart would be constantly on the move as he zips past, delivering a karate chop to each undead cyborg. Therefore 8 (out of 15) will catch him in his blast radius. 8 rolls to hit...

2d10 → [5,9] = (14)
2d10 → [1,1] = (2)
2d10 → [5,10] = (15)
2d10 → [10,4] = (14)
2d10 → [3,9] = (12)
2d10 → [3,2] = (5)
2d10 → [2,6] = (8)
2d10 → [1,4] = (5)

Not a one comes close (18+ required, and even then, it has to be better than that to affect him through the forcefield). Only double is an auto failure (rolled double 1, so the power fails).

Power Reserve 'fatiguing' roll - this time (correctly, as pointed out by dune :) ) against Mind. Roll of 4,2 (6) This time, no effect. Technically I should reroll the last fatiguing check too as I did it wrong, but I can be a meanie sometimes :PWith 7 Regeneration 30 seconds is all it'll take to be in rude health again anyway...

Lionheart speeds about, slamming thousands of deadly strikes into the robotic monstrosities as he runs past and around, moving faster than the eye can follow! in his wake a billowing explosion spews forth as each Necro Borg goes down and self detonates! A string of explosions ring out and a trail of fire crackles in his wake, but Lionheart doesn't, this time, even feel the heat against his forcefield!

And 15 craters lay burning where Necro Borgs had been a heartbeat earlier!

OOC That's 15 out, leaving 6 remaining in the tunnel, as most were caught up in each others explosions. Those outside are down, and Android Andy/Silver Sentinel just need to mop up. Shouldn't be a problem...

Silver Sentinel can normally (using the new Metal Manipulation power in the revised writeup) make an Automatic check to manipulate metal... 13APs vs 9APs Body gives 7RAPs, and Sentinel only needs 1 for Success. It 'Team Attack' several Necro Borgs with this, (it's unusual because strictly speaking it's a Dice action. To be honest I think it should remain a Dice action. Until I've scratched my head a bit more, I will treat Sentinel 'as is' till I've gotten my head around the new modifications).

Right that means 9APs Metal Manipulation vs 9APs body of the Necro Borg (for now - it'll change, just have to umm and ahh about the costs for changing a Dice Action to an Auto Action, which requires no roll and can be performed 3 times per round with it being an Auto Action - that sets off my 'rules' sense, which admittedly can't be relied upon). I assume Sentinel goes for one of these things, and turns it into a bomb to set off a chain reaction (then gets out of the way). Roll 5... 10 (15). Success, and he creates a 9 AP bomb effect. That explodes in amongst its fellows...

2d10 → [4,6] = (10) Hit, no damage
2d10 → [10,8] = (18) Success 6 Damage (on 3 Body)
2d10 → [4,2] = (6) Miss
2d10 → [7,6] = (13) Hit, 3 damage (on 6 Body)
2d10 → [8,7] = (15) Hit 4 damage (on 5 Body)

There is an explosion and two of the Necro Borgs are scattered, clattering from walls but rising without barely registering the damage and turning to face their foes! The others are protected by flaring screens which spring up to defend them, and stare impassively at Sentinel and Android Andy!

The Android morphs an arm into a huge hand cannon, and points it at the nearest Necro Borgs! "Lightning Discharge, full voltage. Engage." he intones.

OOC Android Andy uses Lightning (15APs) to attack 4 of the Necro Borg. Roll 10, 4 (14) Success, 11RAPs damage after Column Shifts (Lightning is very effective against robots). Kaboom! I will assume the resulting explosions take out the remaining two...

Sentinel stands aside as the tunnel fills with flame and a wave of concussive force wafts across his armoured face. He turns to Android Andy and nods. "Nice work." he offers, but the Android, in turn, suggests "You weakened them, I merely supplied the necessary 'tickle' to finish them off. We make an effective pairing."

Lionheart runs up, spins on the spot, and the black smoke pouring from the tunnel forms about him in a tornado, spiralling up and away before dispersing as a black cloud in the night sky! With the tunnel free of smoke, the trio can see the place is a mess. Several support beams have collapsed, but the tunnel remains passable, albeit rock and rubble strewn. If the Necro Borgs didn't know about the impending attack before, they did now! The tunnel leads into the hillside, sloping downwards. It wasn't lit, but then the robots would have various means of getting about. Android Andy simply morphed a lamp on his head, and it shone out, illuminating the devastation! He turned to Lionheart "I have a number of superhumans classified into various 'grades' as laid out in the Superhuman Registry act 2012. A grade 3 represents a competent power level beyond the means of conventional armed forces to restrain. Class 5 is the highest measured level based on existing individuals displayed power limits. Effectively it is of the highest level the human mind can comprehend as a starting point, and goes upwards. I believe you are a Class 5 Superhuman. Wandafar can better test that theory than I can." Android Andy twitched. "An internal alarm command ranks our attack as grade one priority. We are about to be attacked by various automated defences, but it has the added bonus of drawing all non essential robotic personnel from all other attacks to assist in the defence."

OOC Go into the base, against who knows what, or stay out here and let them come to you, in the hope Frostbite can use the distraction and get Wandy free? Your call. Sorry about the crunch, but these kinds of fights are usually a post or three long when hero points are involved. Without HP its purely up to the dice, and a string of decent rolls, plus overwhelming firepower from the heroes, sorted out the tin nasties in short order!
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Mon Aug 26 2013, 00:56

Frostbite knew his time was almost up - those murderous things had a nasty sting in their tail...

After all, if he took one out, the resultant explosion might kill Wandafar and these two other captives, and bring the place caving inwards! Caught between a rock and hard place, Frostbite stifled a curse and moved down to the restraints, applying a frozen pass of a hand then a smash of a fist to shatter the metal restraints easily enough! He pulled the helmet contraption from Wandafars head and heard the diminutive genius sigh. He was still unconscious, but had less of a pained look now. Frostbite turned, knowing he'd not get chance to turn intangible and whisk Wandafar out of there before he was blasted! All he could hope for was to shield Wandafar as best he could and withstand as much of a beating as possible and still stay on his feet!

Four of the Necro Borg advanced on Frostbite, arms reaching.. were they trying to take him alive? If so he...

The Necro Borg twitched, and all but one stopped, spun on their feet and started jogging from the room as a door swished open! Frostbite could barely believe his luck! Why were they - well, all but one - running?

"A priority alarm to defend the base has been issued. Probably your friends at the gates making a mess of the place." suggested Frostbot. "The Jenson fellow (OOC Sentinel) excels at that." said Frostbot inside Frostbites head!

The remaining Necro Borg levelled an arm, the hand open, the palm sphinctered to reveal a glowing aperture, and an energy blast headed for Frostbite!

OOC Roll 7,9 (16) Hit (ouch) 9RAPs damage putting Frostbite on 1 Body (out of 10). He's still up, in one piece, but can't take another shot like that! I could've sworn I'd cooked up another version of Frosty that was more defensive (instead of relying on 10 Body which stops bullets but falls short of tanks etc, which I figured was his Golden Heroes level). Also figured I'd done a version with Regeneration but the one I have has neither. Frosty is in line for a look over next, once (if?) he gets out of this scrape. He wins initiative, has a powerful cold blast, but these things go off like a bomb when they explode. Ice Production could slow it down, Energy Attack will probably take it out, but the blast might be the kicker. Tricky. Or a physical attack, touch it and let Frostbot do his thing? Oh, MUST remember to do the Fatiguing check next time Frosty goes intangible. Forgotten so far, but I guess it makes up for Lionhearts previous botched fatigue check, so what comes around goes around.

Don't worry about the 'crunch' that's flying around - so far the heroes are (just) keeping on top of things, and you just need to state actions, I'll interpret with powers and rolls etc. Even with GH, which you were full conversant with, we played fast and loose with the (very) houseruled rules. Same here, for the most part.

Frostbite B 1/10 M 8 SP 7
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Steeple_jackuk Mon Aug 26 2013, 07:44

Admin wrote:Frostbite B 1/10 M 8 SP 7
OOC: "I don't mind the crunch, just don't expect me to comment on it, although I do read it to check what you're saying against what I know (ahem little) as in any case it does tell its own narrative.

In any case I will reply to both posts in this one post.  BTW loved Lionhearts actions, wow talk about optimised!"

Frostbite staggered, the blow was far more than he was expecting, he was in a bind.  But couldn't afford to let himself be captured, or all their efforts would amount to very little.  Opening his hand, he used his Ice Producing powers to freeze the entire room.  It was unlikely that the machines here stored their electronic information in this room, but damage done here might prevent whoever was behind this using what they'd gained.  Frostbite was also aware of those on the benches with him, if possible he wanted to see if he could free them also.  Or at least get a better look at them.  So he avoided freezing them, instead, creating a huge barrier around them with a single way out to the door.  

OOC: "Ok gonna try and ice the whole room, leaving a small bubble around where we are, with the tables carrying folk uncovered as best I can as well and a pathway to the door.  Gonna try and get these other guys out, if at all possible.  Or at least find out who they are and if I should risk getting them out if at all possible."

Meanwhile Lionheart flicked a piece of imaginary lint from his shoulder as he then gestured, 

"Shall we... as he moved forward a big grin on his face as they descended into the ruined out door of the base.  His senses on high alert, knowing that they were walking into a Lions den, he trained his considerable sense on the way ahead, listening, looking for sudden changes or dangers that would alert them to danger before they could be got by it.  His force field on full, his powers tuned in, he moved forward seemingly blundering but in reality very much aware of hidden danger all around.  

Sj
Steeple_jackuk
Steeple_jackuk
Cosmic Level

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Wed Aug 28 2013, 23:24

Frostbite staggered. His vision was rolling, and he knew he'd been battered almost into unconsciousness.

He dropped to one knee, reaching a trembling hand out. The metal clomp of booted feet approached, and he felt rather than saw the arm cannon raise level to his head. This was it...

No. Not yet.

He touched a finger to the floor, closed his eyes, and summoned the freezing cold that was his to command!

Instantly ice ran out in every direction along the floors and walls, ceiling, even the air itself! The Necro Borg was about to make a final adjustment to its aim... but couldn't move its arm! Ice cracked as it used superhuman strength to break the bonds of ice, but the ice was reformed almost instantly! It fired... into a wall of ice several feet thick blocking Frostbites head from certain doom! The ice splintered and spiderwebbed, but was replaced by layer upon layer of ice.

In heartbeats the room was full of ice, a solid block save for a dome in the middle and perfectly square path to the doorway with frosty smoke boiling from it...

"Vat... vat is going on?" muttered Wandafar, rubbing his head. "Headache of ze century. Cannot think straight. Who... ah. You are still alive. Good. Ze others?"

Frostbite turned and saw Wandafar stumble from the chair, holding onto the arm and glancing at the other two occupants of the chairs. "Xenomind und Felix Von Trauerfall, ze baron of Death. Both are bed men. Zey are villains, in ze classic sense of vanting to enslave ze world viz silly schemes. Zey must hef been broken out of prison und brought here..." he glanced at the encased machinery above their heads. "Jury rigged... und yet advanced beyond comprehension beyond most people. Zis machine is designed to copy, utilise und enslave great minds, turning zem into living computers far more advanced zen anything available to this time era."

He turned to look at Frostbite. "You look like crep." Both men glanced down the ice tunnel to the doorway as distant metal footsteps were heard, approaching towards this room, or past it, but nonetheless representing more danger for the heroes!
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Wed Aug 28 2013, 23:56

Lionhearts senses screamed 'Danger!' but that was to be expected.

He glanced around. The whole base had been carved out of the rock with some efficiency, using natural caverns and engineered materials. It was spartan, functional and cold. There was also something else - a smell of rotting flesh, which gave the place the feeling of being a tomb.

The large tunnel entrance sloped downwards into the rock and dust still billowed in every direction. It went for another 30m or so then seemed to open into a larger area, possibly a hanger bay or garage of some kind.

Android Andy spoke up "This appears to be a staging post of some kind. A manufacturing and engineering facility from which an army can be created and launched at an unsuspecting world. Who knew that such a place could exist here in the North West of England, amidst beautiful natural surroundings and miles from any towns or cities?"

A moment of pause, then Andy continued "Perhaps that is the genius of the plan. One would not suspect such a place to exist beneath the ground in such a place, where only farmers and the occasional country walker might ever come near."

Just then red laser lights flicked up, down, left and right through the dust.

Dozens of them.

Android Andy turned to Sentinel and Lionheart. "here they come." he stated, his arm transforming into a thick arm cannon pthat spun up, ready to unleash destruction!

Lionhearts senses told him that this would be a more intense attack than before. That had been a scouting party. This? This was self defense, the need to repel intruders, a desperate attempt to continue the status quo, that of evading detection and creating an army unseen and unknown by those who would stop them. This?

This was war, and the Necro Borg meant business this time round.

OOC Our trio stand in the tunnel and are around 30m from the targeting laser lights slicing through the dust. Lionheart detects at least twenty Necro Borgs approaching, and more behind them...
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next