The Vanguard Play by Post Roleplaying Game
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The NEW Vanguard! The Haunt Issue 1: "Bring the house down"

2 posters

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

The NEW Vanguard! The Haunt Issue 1: "Bring the house down" Empty The NEW Vanguard! The Haunt Issue 1: "Bring the house down"

Post  Admin Mon Mar 04 2013, 22:05

The Haunt!
Body
Mind
Spirit
Hero Points

The NEW Vanguard! The Haunt Issue 1: "Bring the house down" The_Haunt_title
The NEW Vanguard! The Haunt Issue 1: "Bring the house down" Haunt_titles_issue_1

Where did you find this guy?” asked the fat man munching noisily on a hot dog. “He’s good!”

“He’s better than that! You wouldn’t have guessed the guy is American. His accent, acting… and look at the makeup! Does it himself!”

“He’s wasted on the stage. You tried to get him into television?”

“Still trying. It’s a tough nut to crack, you know that.”

They continued to chat quietly through the performance whilst Rush King, actor, skillfully worked through his lines. Shakespeare was challenging enough without having his agent and an invited industry friend along.

=========

“You were amazing!” laughed Larry, his agent. “My friend, Harvey Brookstein, reckons you should be on TV! He knows people. We’re gonna give it our best shot kid!”

Rush nodded, smiling. The encore had been fairly lengthy, and it was another full theatre, albeit still not exactly Broadway.

The Actor continued to sign autographs on programs and smile for his small but adoring public who enthused about another fine performance. He finished up and turned to Larry “My cab should be here any…”

“HELP!!!” screamed a voice from somewhere.

Rush looked about. The side street had cars parked up and down it, people getting into them and about to set off to join the traffic in London. One or two people looked about but got on with their business. Larry glanced at Rush. “Someone playing a prank. I’ll call you in the morning. Get some rest – I want to set up a few interviews with Press Rags and see if I can get you on ‘This Morning’, or at least ‘Loose Women’. Daytime chat might be a necessary evil my friend but it gets you out there!”

Rush knew Larry’s best efforts might get him - at best - in the local free newspaper, or perhaps an industry gazette. As for TV? Well, he wouldn't hold his breath. His time would come. Until then… He looked at Larry walking towards the street and a waiting cab, then turned to look down another side street. A flickering streetlamp barely illuminated it, and the fog of London wreathed it in mist. Rush had heard the cry, though many hadn’t, or had chosen to ignore it. Would he?

OOC Plenty of people around leaving the theatre, which is a small one in London, housing around 500 people or so. Rush King is on his third night playing in a Shakespeare play (you pick one, I was never interested in Shakespeare, on any level. Even when I did it at school I could barely stay awake Sad He's heard a cry for help down a side street. It's dark - around 10pm and foggy, as London tends to be with these sort of things. It's been 3 weeks since Dr. Praetorious helped him out and Rush King is finding his feet, getting work and getting used to the strange powers he has now. He has a fear of acid and what it can do, but tries to direct that fear against his enemies (I assume) as the justice seeking HAUNT! Whilst Rush King has yet to make his debut as HAUNT, he has strange dreams, as if he's done this kind of thing before somehow...

Due to the nature of the space/time gate they came through to cross worlds, the Vanguard have been in this timeline a differing amount of time. The year is 2017, a few years from now. Not much has changed, but it does allow a certain freedom when it comes to world events. The cry for help came from a hundred yards away or more, and wasn't repeated. Haunt doesn't know where it came from, who made it, or why...
Admin
Admin
Admin

https://darkeningshadows.darkbb.com

Back to top Go down

The NEW Vanguard! The Haunt Issue 1: "Bring the house down" Empty Re: The NEW Vanguard! The Haunt Issue 1: "Bring the house down"

Post  DavidMcMahon Mon Mar 04 2013, 22:48

Code:
Rush knew Larry’s best efforts might get him - at best - in the local free newspaper, or perhaps an industry gazette. As for TV? Well, he wouldn't hold his breath. His time would come. Until then… He looked at Larry walking towards the street and a waiting cab, then turned to look down another side street. A flickering streetlamp barely illuminated it, and the fog of London wreathed it in mist. Rush had heard the cry, though many hadn’t, or had chosen to ignore it. Would he?

ooc: The only play I've seen the whole thing of is Taming of the Shrew, even saw the John Cleese version, so that's the play he will be doing. And don't forget, he has done TV before. He did his breakout role for nearly three years as the somewhat dense American Foreign Exchange Student in that teen show. But that was about five-six years since he left that show. A lifetime ago for actors. farao

Since then ... commercials, voice overs, small soap opera parts, small movie parts but nothing big ... yet.

"I think it is time for the Haunt to do some investigating," Rush muttered to himself. He sauntered towards the side alley and once in the fog and far enough away for folks not to recognize him, he transforms into the Haunt, then summoning even more fog to hide him while he investigated the yell. He stretched up the nearest roof and moved along its tops, looking down to see where that cry came from and who was crying out.

His costume was a blend of white and silver, a Western Cowboy type outfit, including Stetson, including the gunbelt. He wore a full head mask, with only his eyes showing, the edges of his eye holes rimmed in black.

Don't know if you can transfer a pic of the Ghost Rider here or not but decided to copy his outfit exactly. Eventually, I may even find out if the guns actually fire anything.
DavidMcMahon
DavidMcMahon
Cosmic Level

Back to top Go down

The NEW Vanguard! The Haunt Issue 1: "Bring the house down" Empty Re: The NEW Vanguard! The Haunt Issue 1: "Bring the house down"

Post  Admin Wed Mar 06 2013, 13:06

The Haunt!
Body
Mind
Spirit
Hero Points

The Haunt stepped from the shadows, casting about with that black faced mask. To anyone looking on, he would appear at first a comical figure until the eyes lay gaze on them, then all mirth would flee!

Stretching an arm and pulling himself onto the rooftop of the building whose shadow he'd changed in, he loped across the roof taking giant strides and looking around for the origin of the cry for help.

OOC Will try the dice rolling thing again. It looks horrible and breaks the page up, but will see anyway...edit: well that didn't work. Needs tweaking. Rolling normal dice... 8,8 (16) plus 7,3 (28 total). Success.

The screech of distant tyres made Haunt turn his head. He strode across the roof, reached across for another and pulled himself over, effortless vast superhuman strength making him near weightless! Soon he arrived at a quiet street with few lights and a few old brick warehouses lining each side of the road.

The smell of scorched rubber in the air suggested someone had taken off in a hurry and they'd left something behind. A body lay in the road, and even with the poor light it was clear the man was bleeding.

Haunt glanced around then stretched down to where the man lay. He was dressed in a suit and coat. He looked to be in his late forties, bald on top, glasses (broken) and his breathing was quick, gasping.

Haunt glanced down to see his hands covering the knife wound in his chest, and awful amount of blood seeping through the fingers... The man coughed, and opened his eyes. Haunt knew he'd been slightly sprayed by blood, and the mans eyes widened in fear for a moment before he realised what had been done to him and what it meant...

"The... the flask!" he coughed. "Taxi... Taxi driver took me ... down here... I protested... another car pulled up. Men got out... they... have the flask, in my case..."

Haunt turned even before the couple at the end of the street, walking in arm in arm, walked across the end of the road and stopped halfway across, looking at the white ghostly figure crouching above the fallen fellow. The woman screamed, and the man hastily fumbled for a phone!

OOC The fellow Haunt found is dying. The couple who are on their way home see a ghostly figure in cowboy hat standing over a man drenched in blood on the floor. It looks like... well, you can guess what it looks like. If you're going to get information out of this guy, better make it fast!

Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  DavidMcMahon Wed Mar 06 2013, 21:45

"The... the flask!" he coughed. "Taxi... Taxi driver took me ... down here... I protested... another car pulled up. Men got out... they... have the flask, in my case..."

Haunt turned even before the couple at the end of the street, walking in arm in arm, walked across the end of the road and stopped halfway across, looking at the white ghostly figure crouching above the fallen fellow. The woman screamed, and the man hastily fumbled for a phone!

OOC The fellow Haunt found is dying. The couple who are on their way home see a ghostly figure in cowboy hat standing over a man drenched in blood on the floor. It looks like... well, you can guess what it looks like. If you're going to get information out of this guy, better make it fast!

The Haunt ripped a portion of his white cape off and used to to try to stem the flow of blood from the dying man. Maybe he could keep him alive long enough for someone who knew how to really save him showed up.

"What flask? Describe the taxi driver," the Haunt said, using his spooky voice he practised at home but trying to make it gentle and safe, "if I can find him, I can find your flask. Any information to help me bring these men to JUSTICE!!!"

actions: Try to keep the guy alive long enough for real medical help arrive while getting what information out of him that I can. Ignore the screaming folks, they will probably bring help even faster if they keep screaming like that. What a Face
DavidMcMahon
DavidMcMahon
Cosmic Level

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Wed Mar 06 2013, 23:53

The Haunt!
Body
Mind
Spirit
Hero Points

The man gasped and clutched Haunts wrist as if he were drowning, and slipping fast...

"C...Comma cars... taxi firm...not regular.. d...driver. The f...flask. Tell police... can't fall into hands of...*cough*" Haunt knew his 'patient' had only moments of life left, despite him stemming the flow of blood. Chances were the mans internal bleeding would kill him long before an Ambulance arrived.

"Hey!" shouted the male of the pair down the street. He was jogging towards Haunt, rolling up his sleeves. "Get away from him! What are you doing you freak!?!"

The victim clutched Haunts wrist again and gasped "Grace will know what to do... arrrgggh..."

And the fellow died...
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  DavidMcMahon Thu Mar 07 2013, 00:23

"Hey!" shouted the male of the pair down the street. He was jogging towards Haunt, rolling up his sleeves. "Get away from him! What are you doing you freak!?!"

The victim clutched Haunts wrist again and gasped "Grace will know what to do... arrrgggh..."

And the fellow died....

ooc: Aw man! This is so gonna get me in trouble but ....

The Haunt ignores the approaching man and rifles the man's pockets trying to find any ID on him at all. Afterwards [whether he succeeds or not], he stands as gives a bit of a speech. He uses his spooky voice but makes sure to speak in an upper-crust accent [let the cops try to figure out which one of their nobles might be running around in a cowboy outfit with cape! king ]:

"My Friend, I was unable to save you. Your blood lies upon my hands. But fear not! For your blood cries out to me! Not for vengeance but for Justice. And I, the Haunt of Justice, will not rest until I have brought your killers to Justice! Upon my immortal soul, I so vow! JUSTICE shall have its day!!"
He then turns and faces the man, giving mjust a touch of the Fear Aura he can generate, then summons the FOg to hide himself from view, stretches up an arm and pulls himself to the rooftop, then allows the fog to disappear so it appears he vanished into the mystical fog.

Then he wil use his Detective Skills to track down the cab driver and get the truth from him.
DavidMcMahon
DavidMcMahon
Cosmic Level

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Thu Mar 07 2013, 01:13

The Haunt!
Body
Mind
Spirit
Hero Points

Taking the mans wallet, Haunt saw the usual array of bank cards and membership cards to various places

His name was Donald Toynbee, and an ID Card showed he worked as a 'High Level Clearance' employee at Genetech Corporation.

OOC Detective check 2d10 → [3,6] = (9) Partial Success.

Genetech is a company that was recently in the news for announcing breakthroughs in its science division, notably in the field of human genetics and enhancement. The story vanished on the same day from all news feeds whether through TV, radio, Newspaper or Internet channels.

After saying his piece Haunt turned to the advancing fellow and projected fear at him! (OOC 2d10 → [4,3] = (7) Success, 8RAps) The man cried out, and a pool of urine formed at the bottom of his leg as he stood, petrified! (OOC you have Aura of fear 9, the guy has Opposing/Resistance values of 2. If you want to use less, just state a number from 1-9 Razz )

Fog billowed from around the ghostly figure who pulled himself up and away onto the rooftop to consider his next move!

OOC Remember that Self Manipulation is probably your fastest way of getting around, either by turning yourself into a horse riding Ghostly haunt guy (all the same colour, white, unless you change it with Chameleon) or turning the cape into a set of wings and flying. in either case you move at 9 speed thanks to Running (horse) or Flying (cape) or turning your butt into a jet engine, plastic man style...

Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  DavidMcMahon Thu Mar 07 2013, 03:24

After saying his piece Haunt turned to the advancing fellow and projected fear at him! (OOC 2d10 → [4,3] = (7) Success, 8RAps) The man cried out, and a pool of urine formed at the bottom of his leg as he stood, petrified! (OOC you have Aura of fear 9, the guy has Opposing/Resistance values of 2. If you want to use less, just state a number from 1-9 )

Fog billowed from around the ghostly figure who pulled himself up and away onto the rooftop to consider his next move!

OOC Remember that Self Manipulation is probably your fastest way of getting around, either by turning yourself into a horse riding Ghostly haunt guy (all the same colour, white, unless you change it with Chameleon) or turning the cape into a set of wings and flying. in either case you move at 9 speed thanks to Running (horse) or Flying (cape) or turning your butt into a jet engine, plastic man style...

ooc: So normal humans have pretty much just 2-3 in their various attributes? If so, he probably only used 3 points of Fear Aura. And I like the idea of the cape turning into large ghostly white wings and flying to my next destination, finding the cab driver who led the man into the ambush.
DavidMcMahon
DavidMcMahon
Cosmic Level

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Sat Mar 09 2013, 05:14

The Haunt!
Body
Mind
Spirit
Hero Points

The Haunt commanded his body to grow manta ray like (?) wings from his cape/back and took to the skies over London. A ghostly white apparition, several people along the flight path did a double take and doubted their sanity when the strange sight had passed over...

OOC Without area knowledge (London) chances are Haunt won't know where a small taxi firm like the one in question is based. A roll of 5,3 (Cool doesn't help. I'll assume Haunt resorts to more conventional methods as he is a fine detective. Roll 9,3 (12)...

"118, 118. How can I help you?"

"Yes, I'd like to know the contact number and address of Comma Cars"

"Er, is something wrong with your throat sir? You sound... spooky..."

"No, I always sound like this! Tell me what I need to know, lest I visit my wrath upon you!"

"Oh, ok, 444 Harlow Road, Harlesden, London. The telephone number is..."

Haunt made a note then finished up "Thankyou! You may rest easy in the knowledge that your efforts have aided the cause of justice!"

"Whatever. Have a pleasant evening sir." *Click*

Haunt took off for the address. Chances were they would not give out the information over the phone that he required, and besides, it might tip them off if they were party to the grisly events. Landing opposite the small dingy office, a portacabin with a sign half hanging off, Haunt could see through the window and saw a woman hunched over a desk speaking into a microphone. She looked agitated, worried even.
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  DavidMcMahon Sat Mar 09 2013, 12:33

"No, I always sound like this! Tell me what I need to know, lest I visit my wrath upon you!"

I LOVED that line!!!!! Laughing
DavidMcMahon
DavidMcMahon
Cosmic Level

Back to top Go down

Post  DavidMcMahon Sat Mar 09 2013, 13:52

Haunt took off for the address. Chances were they would not give out the information over the phone that he required, and besides, it might tip them off if they were party to the grisly events. Landing opposite the small dingy office, a portacabin with a sign half hanging off, Haunt could see through the window and saw a woman hunched over a desk speaking into a microphone. She looked agitated, worried even..

actions: Use my Fog powers to move over unseen then shape myself into a drain pipe right next to the window, easing the fog a bit, and listen in.
DavidMcMahon
DavidMcMahon
Cosmic Level

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Mon Mar 11 2013, 00:20

The Haunt!
Body
Mind
Spirit
Hero Points

With an eerie mist gathering around the spectral form of the Haunt, he moved closer to the window and listened in. The operator, a woman in her late forties, looked worried and her raised voice was easy to hear through the think portacabin walls.

"...No, I'm sayin' I called the police already. I don't know where Fred is but it's not like him! Just ... get down to the docks and see what he's playin' at! If he wants to keep his job he'd better have a good reason why he's not answering his radio, and ignoring his phone! The tracker says he was driving at speed after a stop off and the car is showing at the docks. Find out what's going on! yes, I know it's not like Fred, why do you think I called the Police? No, I'm not overreacting. Yes, I know they'll have my guts fer garters if I waste their time but it's just not like Fred! I'm sending car 14 round to his house. I've... I don't know. Something feels wrong. He was supposed to pick up a regular - Mr Toynbee from Genetech. The car was there, waiting as usual and it set off, but he didn't acknowledge pickup. See what I mean? I'm worried. Fred's worked here for years and he's just..."

Haunt frowned. Whatever was going on it seemed very much like this 'Fred' the driver of the cab apparently, was acting out of character. Picking up - as usual - from Genetech suggested a regular customer on a regular route, hence the apparent alarm of the operator, compounded by the lack of response when trying to raise the driver.

Haunts instincts gave him two possible choices.

Head to the Genetech place to find out what happened there, if anything OR
Find out where the car was at the docks.

His mind worked in mysterious ways though - might there be another option to explore?
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  DavidMcMahon Mon Mar 11 2013, 03:15

Haunt frowned. Whatever was going on it seemed very much like this 'Fred' the driver of the cab apparently, was acting out of character. Picking up - as usual - from Genetech suggested a regular customer on a regular route, hence the apparent alarm of the operator, compounded by the lack of response when trying to raise the driver.

Haunts instincts gave him two possible choices.

Head to the Genetech place to find out what happened there, if anything OR
Find out where the car was at the docks.

His mind worked in mysterious ways though - might there be another option to explore?.

Shapeshifting into the form of a policeman, the Haunt enters the office. "Ma'am? Were you the one who called in about a missing cab driver? [I assuming a positive response] Could you give me his name and address again please? And where on the docks does your locator have your cab?"

He looks over the map on the wall, finding the cab driver's address and the portion of the docks he needs to look at.

actions: I expect to find the cab driver dead in his home but I want to make sure of that, and find out what he looks like in case I decide to take his form. Then head for the docks to look over the cab and then probably Genetech in that order - home, dock, gentech Flying should get me there fastest once I know where all three locations are.
DavidMcMahon
DavidMcMahon
Cosmic Level

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Tue Mar 12 2013, 22:21

The Haunt!
Body
Mind
Spirit
Hero Points

The Operator gave the information over, flustered but trying to remain professional.

Fred Burtons home was quiet, locked up and dark when Haunt arrived. He could tell just from a look at the third floor flat in the tower block that the taxi driver had left previously in the evening, locked up and gone to work as usual. He shrugged and with a simple adjustment of a finger unlocked the front door, stepped in, stretched his neck and head around the corners of the place. Dusty, the guy lives alone, smokes, doesn't clean up too well. The washing up hasn't been done, a bunch of bills on the kitchen table need paying... Other than that... he wasn't there.

Haunt did all that without touching anything, and besides he could remove his fingertips with a thought.

Gut instinct. Gut instinct told him Fred had been a divorcee. A combination of long shifts and unsocial hours had driven his wife away, and she'd taken the lions share of what money there was. Now all he had was work, and ...

A last look around the place. Gut Instinct told Haunt that Fred had left for work for the last time today.

Sadly, he stepped out and shut the door behind him.

=========

The Docks were dark, deserted for the most part save for boats being unloaded in the glare of floodlights.

The taxi was parked up, door open, near the quayside. There were no boats nearby. The lapping of the Thames against the quayside contrasted with the distant blare of horns out in the night somewhere. Mist rolled in steadily, and even the lights of London would struggle to slice into it come a few hours time.

Haunt crouched on the warehouse roof. From his vantage point he could see the taxi, no one around. A few box containers stacked a couple of hundred yards away, further than that were dock workers loading containers onto ships. Maybe they'd seen something. Maybe there was something in the car that would provide a clue as to what had happened...

OOC Haunt can't, from his vantage point, see anyone in the Taxi but he's a way away...
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  DavidMcMahon Wed Mar 13 2013, 11:14

Mist rolled in steadily, and even the lights of London would struggle to slice into it come a few hours time.

Haunt crouched on the warehouse roof. From his vantage point he could see the taxi, no one around. A few box containers stacked a couple of hundred yards away, further than that were dock workers loading containers onto ships. Maybe they'd seen something. Maybe there was something in the car that would provide a clue as to what had happened...

OOC Haunt can't, from his vantage point, see anyone in the Taxi but he's a way away....

Well since the mist is rolling around, let's increase it to Fog, and use the fog to approach the cab and investigate it. Be a good idea to check under the car before attempting to open any doors, in case they left a bomb under it.
DavidMcMahon
DavidMcMahon
Cosmic Level

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Fri Mar 15 2013, 23:28

The Haunt!
Body
Mind
Spirit
Hero Points

With mist boiling from and around him, the Haunt approached the car...

The drivers and passenger side was empty save for the keys tossed on the seat. Haunt peered underneath the car.

Sure enough, there was something underneath it, clamped to the floor. A red light flashed on it.

A skilled Thief, Haunt knew but little on how to disarm a bomb. He suspected that it was spliced into the interior lights or alarm though - how else to set it off when some unsuspecting soul came along, or perhaps the police?

He narrowed his eyes. Standing, he looked around the car, then at the boot (OOC trunk for you, I suspect?). It would be tied into the same trap that would set the bomb off but it might reveal where the unfortunate Taxi Driver had gone...
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  DavidMcMahon Sat Mar 16 2013, 00:12

ooc: OK, time for the crunchy number stuff. jocolor

Am I correct that the subskill: Demolitions from the Military Skill is what is needed to be able to defuse this bomb? If I tried disarming it anyway, what stat would I be using to do so? And if I put Hero Points into the effort, what would that give me and how I would put points into it?

And just how just how invulnerable am I, in case the car blows up on me? scratch
DavidMcMahon
DavidMcMahon
Cosmic Level

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Sat Mar 16 2013, 00:21

OOC Demolitions is a Skilled use only skill. You *can* try it anyway - anyone can pull a wire out of something and cross their fingers... As for how vulnerable the Haunt is, you are looking at an exploding shell being needed to break his skin. Even then, if a wound doesn't kill him the chances are he will recover from it in an hour or so (because Bombs are killing combat). All depends on how powerful the bomb is, but anything over 10APs (i.e. which is what would be needed to hurt Haunt) would have to be pretty big unless it's a superhuman gadget/power thing... Haunt doesn't know what it is, save that it looks like what a bomb should look like, has a red flashing light and looks set to go off!
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  DavidMcMahon Sat Mar 16 2013, 00:56

Right! Time to do something stupid! er ... I mean heroic! cherry

The Haunt will attempt to use his strength to rip a hole in the floor of the car, near the bomb, two holes actually. Then flow a part of his body into the car, then as quickly as possible wrap himself around the bomb and then pull it free, using his body to smother the explosion.

So go head first into the car through one hole and then out the other, wrapping himself around that section of the car with the bomb and then use his strength to pull it free and keep the explosion away from the car. That's how I'm visualizing it. Like a football player wrapping himself around a loose ball to keep it from the other players.

now to see what actually happens ....
DavidMcMahon
DavidMcMahon
Cosmic Level

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Mon Mar 18 2013, 01:07

The Haunt!
Body
9/11
Mind
Spirit
Hero Points

Oozing like a liquid snake Haunt used his incredible superhuman strength to punch through the metal and his body to act as a cocooon for the bomb!

KABOOM!

OOC Let's see what happens... The bomb is an attack of AV/EV10 vs Haunts body (seeing as he is surrounding it) which is 11. Roll 10,5 (15). 2RAPs which is damage. Body amended in scores above.

Haunt uncoiled himself and looked down at his blackened costume. With a cough and wafting smoke about he looked around. He'd stifled the explosion completely, though it stung somewhat. Nothing that would last or leave a mark at any rate.

After that it was a simple matter to move to the trunk of the taxi. Haunt configured his finger into a key (OOC Thief roll 10.6 (16) success) and *clonk* popped it. He gazed sadly into the space at the body in there. A single wound to the head right between the eyes was clearly the cause of death, caused by a blade of some kind. Someone had murdered the taxi driver (Fred Burton), stashed his body in the trunk and taken the role of driver to collect the passenger Donald Toynbee from Genetech. Now the 'flask' that the Scientist had mentioned was gone, two people dead, and - supposedly - a dead end. Haunt saw through the fog he had generated without hindrance, and spotted distant dock workers. maybe one of them saw something, or perhaps the trail led to Genetech, or Toynbees' home...
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  DavidMcMahon Mon Mar 18 2013, 15:50

ooc: Did Toynbee have his ID badge on him when he died? If so, it's something I would have taken. If he did, then my plan is to take his place, walk back into work and look around as Toynbee.
DavidMcMahon
DavidMcMahon
Cosmic Level

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Wed Mar 20 2013, 00:51

The Haunt!
Body
9/11
Mind
Spirit
Hero Points

"Hello 118, 118, how can I help you?" "I am the cold hand of justice, seeking evil in the night that I may grasp its throat and squeeze! Tell me where I may find Genetech, so I can cast my shadow over its walls and strike fear into any cowards that do evil this night!" "Genetech? The address is..."

Haunt wrote it down, then looked about. There was little here to do for the dead man now. The police would find him and follow the trail, but it would have gone cold by then. He finished writing the address down on his hand, peeled the glove back on and spoke into the phone again. "My thanks, minion of a soulless corporation, for your aid. You have, in your own small way, lit a fire for hope and justice this night."

Silence, then "Ah... ok." Another paused, and a muffled voice "Ey, Janice! Didn't you 'ave a nutter on earlier? Sayin' that it's like that every day at this place..."

Haunt up the phone down, got his bearings and took to the rooftops before forming his great cape into wings and casting a chilling shadow on the ground below with the moon behind him.

=========

Genetech HQ here in London was a Big place.

Situated on an industrial estate the Genetech building was sat on its own, an imposing tower block with a number of joined buildings at varying levels. The car park was empty save for a few cars dotted about, sign that some burned the midnight oil still.

With the key card in hand Haunt felt sure the scientists access would get him in without raising an alarm. That said, the reception area looked like it was occupied - a security guard, watching various camera fed monitors no doubt. The Haunt would stick out like a sore thumb within 100 yards of this place, and with that, the police would surely not be much further than a phone call away. His chance to find answers would be foiled then...
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  DavidMcMahon Wed Mar 20 2013, 02:16

With the key card in hand Haunt felt sure the scientists access would get him in without raising an alarm. That said, the reception area looked like it was occupied - a security guard, watching various camera fed monitors no doubt. The Haunt would stick out like a sore thumb within 100 yards of this place, and with that, the police would surely not be much further than a phone call away. His chance to find answers would be foiled then...

Plan is to change into Toynbee, act a bit befuddled - got mugged, you know. Get the guard to tell me where my office is and head that way. Make sure I have some bruises to show I had been mugged. Managed to get away before they could do more than hit me a few times and swipe my briefcase. Nothing important in it; all secure stuff still in the proper places. But some non-vital worknotes taken, need to make copies off my computer. That kind of thing to tell the guard.
DavidMcMahon
DavidMcMahon
Cosmic Level

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Thu Mar 21 2013, 01:14

The Haunt!
Body
9/11
Mind
Spirit
Hero Points

"Professor Toynbee? Thought you'd left for the.. are you alright sir?" asked the security guard.

"Miscreants jumped me and took my briefcase. I've told the police but all that was in was a few notes I'd made copies of in my lab and my lunchbox. It was a collectors edition 'The Phantom Menace' one too. I'm not happy..."

"Ah... quite. If you're sure you're ok sir? Want me to call you a taxi?"

Haunt thought for a second. Catching a taxi had been the death of Toynbee and the taxi driver. Someone had killed the scientist and taken something from him - a flask. if it was important why would Toynbee carry it on him, and who knew it would be in his briefcase? He started towards a corridor but a cough turned him around. "That way sir. Are you sure you're alright? I'll put the lights in the corridors to your office and have them on waiting for you."

=========

Toynbees' office was impressive. Aside from the brass plaque on the door proclaiming his name, it had a prime fifth floor corner plot with a window out looking across London, and a window in looking into a central large lab area full of sophisticated machinery.

The office itself was plush, but rather sterile in terms of personal effects. There were no family pictures and everything looked like it had been placed precisely. Haunt dropped into Toynbees chair at the desk aware that cameras watched his every move. The guard would be suspicious - that was his job.

Booked lined the walls in shelves, there was a sumptuous leather couch, drinks cabinet, huge plasma screen on the wall and filing cabinets of the old fashioned kind - it seemed there was still a place for paperwork in this modern digital world. The place reeked of money, and of no expense being spared. No wonder. Genetech was one of the fastest growing scientific research companies in Europe, possibly the world!

His access card would doubtless open the door in the corridor which led to the lab next door, but what then? Haunt was no scientist even if he wore the face and form of one. The lcd screen sat waiting for his logon password... Haunt racked his brains. Without in depth knowledge of the man there was the distinct possibility he might be here till the end of time trying to guess a password! The draws to the desk were locked, though Haunt knew that would be little deterrent to his particular powers. Or perhaps he planned to do something else?
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  DavidMcMahon Thu Mar 21 2013, 01:24

His access card would doubtless open the door in the corridor which led to the lab next door, but what then? Haunt was no scientist even if he wore the face and form of one. The lcd screen sat waiting for his logon password... Haunt racked his brains. Without in depth knowledge of the man there was the distinct possibility he might be here till the end of time trying to guess a password! The draws to the desk were locked, though Haunt knew that would be little deterrent to his particular powers. Or perhaps he planned to do something else?

I assume he has a private bathroom if his office is this big? If so, go in, splash water on my face, "clean up" a bit, grab a drink and casually wander around the office sipping my drink while actually using Thief skills to case the place. Where would the best hiding places be? How to get into them? That kind of thing. Also, if he is anything like me and has a job where the password has to change every 90 days or so, he has his password written down someplace - a Post-It note maybe or on a small scratch pad, some place easy to reach or easy to just glance over and see. Fumble out some keys, after this and "open" the drawers with one of them while actually using my skill and power to do so.

My detective skills might help as well even though I'm no scientist. It might let me find those clues that I need to move on to finding his killers and bringing them to JUSTICE!!!! Suspect
DavidMcMahon
DavidMcMahon
Cosmic Level

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next