The Vanguard Play by Post Roleplaying Game
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The NEW Vanguard TEAM UP! Haunt Issue #14 with special guest star Steeplejack!

3 posters

Page 7 of 7 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7

Go down

The NEW Vanguard TEAM UP! Haunt Issue #14 with special guest star Steeplejack! - Page 7 Empty Re: The NEW Vanguard TEAM UP! Haunt Issue #14 with special guest star Steeplejack!

Post  Admin Sun Sep 17 2023, 18:34

STEEPLEJACK vs SCRAPPER

Whilst the pugilist formed a magic spell in the air ready to 'hurl' it at Steeplejack the hero closed the short distance in a couple of strides and tried to deliver a decisive blow!

OOC M Arts ALL DICE THROWN IN!

Because he's being attacked Mystically there is no need to use the Acrobatics dice to avoid any physical blow, so ALL IN!

CRIT BLOW

AV14 + 5D M Arts + 7d12+0 4,6,4,2,12,7,3+0 = 8 DOUBLE plus 2d12+0 3,10+0 = 21 (35)
vs
OV 10 + Time Dilation 6 + Crit Blow 4 + 2d12+0 5,9+0 = 14 (35)

Success +1 (Just!)

EV 13 +1 (EV14) vs RV9 + T Dilation 6 - Crit Blow 6 (RV9)=5 RAPs

SMACK! Scrapper goes DOWN and is OUT!

Normally resistant to anything a mortal might throw, even a 'man mountain' as might be found in a boxing ring, Scrapper reels from the uppercut that Steeplejack (barely) delivers. That time dilation... again!

This time the blow lands and with a satisfyingly meaty 'SMACK' that suggests the 'Scrapper' will be out for a short while!

Breathing a sigh of relief the hero turns to look for the others. Of Haunt all he can see is a thick impenetrable cloud of Fog... beyond that he cannot make out so has no idea if Holmes and the others are alright...

HAUNT vs LUCIFER STANLEY

"You think that 'Fog' will hide you, 'hero'?" spat Stanley.

He reached out a hand. "My spell allows me to reach out with invisible hands and 'see' as if I were looking upon a scene with my very own ey... eh?"

He scowled and frowned. "Where have you gone?"

Haunt was in the fog but had flattened his body like a blanket on the floor! So low that even Lucifer Stanleys 'sonar' showed nothing where he expected his target to be standing!

"No matter!" he declared. "Your partner has abandoned you!" declared Lucifer Stanley towards Steeplejack... then he sees Scrapper down, Carmichael down...

The look on his face changed and he snarled. Invisible 'hands' raised Lucifer Stanley and Rafael Carmichael from the floor and took off, the two unconscious mages trailing in the air close behind him!

Steeplejack looked up to follow the villains flight... but lost sight of him with the Palace in the way as he soared over the skyline of London!

And, just like that... the Heroes had WON!

Or had they...?

Haunt recovers, shaking his head clear and rises. Holmes and the others are alright... wait! Where was Holmes?

OOC The villains appear to have retreated for the time being. Can they have given up their quest for the Grail so easily? Remind me - who currently has the Grail (or who would you prefer had it)? It was Haunt before (hidden in the strange mass of his superhuman form) but for safe keeping in battle it may be safer elsewhere...

The NEW Vanguard TEAM UP! Haunt Issue #14 with special guest star Steeplejack! - Page 7 Tables_draft_v2_higher_resThe NEW Vanguard TEAM UP! Haunt Issue #14 with special guest star Steeplejack! - Page 7 Combat-Maneuver-stuff
Admin
Admin
Admin

https://darkeningshadows.darkbb.com

Back to top Go down

The NEW Vanguard TEAM UP! Haunt Issue #14 with special guest star Steeplejack! - Page 7 Empty Re: The NEW Vanguard TEAM UP! Haunt Issue #14 with special guest star Steeplejack!

Post  DavidMcMahon Mon Sep 18 2023, 02:04

ooc: You know, I can't remember if Haunt kept it or gave it to Holmes.
DavidMcMahon
DavidMcMahon
Cosmic Level

Back to top Go down

Post  Steeple_jackuk Tue Sep 19 2023, 12:54

DavidMcMahon wrote:ooc:  You know, I can't remember if Haunt kept it or gave it to Holmes.

OOC: I have a nasty feeling we might have given it to Holmes, but I think it was Haunt who had it for safe keeping up till now. Bother me, if after all this its whisked away from under our very noses just when we thought we'd got here. Anyway, Steeplejack will look around for Holmes. See if there is any sign of him. Otherwise, once we've located the grail we might need to get after the mage if he has Him.

Sj
Steeple_jackuk
Steeple_jackuk
Cosmic Level

Back to top Go down

Post  DavidMcMahon Thu Sep 21 2023, 03:18

Steeple_jackuk wrote:
DavidMcMahon wrote:ooc:  You know, I can't remember if Haunt kept it or gave it to Holmes.

OOC: I have a nasty feeling we might have given it to Holmes, but I think it was Haunt who had it for safe keeping up till now.   Bother me, if after all this its whisked away from under our very noses just when we thought we'd got here.  Anyway, Steeplejack will look around for Holmes.  See if there is any sign of him.  Otherwise, once we've located the grail we might need to get after the mage if he has Him.

Sj

OK, did a quick read through and after Vampire girl drank from it and turned into dust we never said who did have the Grail after that. I guess it was passed around to help heal minor injuries and such and then ... guess it is a GM's call as to who kept it once we reached the shores and started dealing with Zombies.
DavidMcMahon
DavidMcMahon
Cosmic Level

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Sun Oct 01 2023, 21:42

SHERLOCK HOLMES

The two heroes were a marvel, of that there was no doubt! Despite his keen scientific mind telling him the things he saw and experienced could not be possible, the fact that every sense and what he'd been through thus far told him the impossible wasn't out of reach of the companions who could change shape, control the earth, summon fog or moved like lightning amongst other abilities.

Holmes grinned to himself.

This was life! The fear of death, of failure, of ultimate disaster, and yet thwarting it at every time!

Having used the distraction of the battle to make good his exit the master sleuth moved into the Palace, having remembered - nee memorised it - the several occasions he'd been here.

Having left Watson and the others behind in the care of Haunt and Steeplejack, he had every faith in his companions that those villainous Mystics would be defeated!

Watson stepped up, mopping his brow.

"Holmes said to keep those villains busy and he would be heading to the Queens vault to place the Grail back in its rightful place!" said the Doctor. "But..."

"Thank you my dear Doctor..." said a voice.

Eyes turned to the image of a man in a fine suit, smoking jacket and all. His cruel face was marked by a scar that ran from eyebrow to chin.

Captain Savage immediately fired his pistol...

BOOM!

The shot went through the image of the man and those present could see through the fellow!

"You would think that I trust the return of the Grail - the grandest prize of all in these wretched isles - to just four operatives?" said the man. It was clear now that he had an accent. Germanic.

Starky fished in his bag for something, muttering and the fellow smiled, cruel.

"Talented as you are, you failed miserably. You see even now my ... operatives... are waiting for Mr Holmes before he will get to the vault! The grail will soon be ours, and all of you... shall bend to our will! HAHAHAHAHAHA!"

Watson looked shocked. "Holmes! They'll..."

"Not unless we get there first!" said Starky, pulling goggles out of his bag and fixing them on his head. As with everything else there trailed copper wires, small valves hanging on the sides and a tiny set of pumping bellows powered by who knew what.

The image of the German started to fade.

"In a few years time our nations will be... opposed. With the Grail AND the Spear of Destiny in hand, we will need only one more artifact to ensure zet our goals will be easily within reach!"

The man faded from view.

"We must help Holmes!" shouted Savage, running for the Palace...

Starky started after him followed by a sweating Watson...

The NEW Vanguard TEAM UP! Haunt Issue #14 with special guest star Steeplejack! - Page 7 Tables_draft_v2_higher_resThe NEW Vanguard TEAM UP! Haunt Issue #14 with special guest star Steeplejack! - Page 7 Combat-Maneuver-stuff
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  DavidMcMahon Mon Oct 02 2023, 03:51

ooc: Haunt is still stunned and barely has any spirit, yes?
DavidMcMahon
DavidMcMahon
Cosmic Level

Back to top Go down

Post  Steeple_jackuk Wed Oct 04 2023, 13:08

DavidMcMahon wrote:ooc:  Haunt is still stunned and barely has any spirit, yes?

OOC: If need be, I will scoop up Haunt and bring him with us if he is insufficiently recovered to come of his own volition. And then hot foot it to the vault where Holmes has headed.

Sj
Steeple_jackuk
Steeple_jackuk
Cosmic Level

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Mon Oct 23 2023, 19:12

OOC All being well I'll be doing steady updates all week so keep an eye out. Have a small window between getting home, eating, chores and bedtime before doing the whole thing again so ... best crack on!

HAUNT and STEEPLEJACK along with the GRAIL GUARDIANS!

OOC Grail Guardians. Too cheesy?

Haunt totters about but recovers his wits as Steeplejack moves over to him
(OOC Stunned last but a round, 4 seconds...)
and stands with a waved hand towards him friend.

Starky, Savage and Watson behind are already setting off across the lawn towards the main building of the palace.

The Heroes quickly caught them and the group came across the first guards... alive but unconscious, not a mark on them. Doubtless sorcery will have blasted the unwitting soldiers!

More - servants, workers, guards... everywhere in the corridors, side rooms, were a person or two scattered about. Unconscious, unable to be roused. Dr Watson checked another other. "Alive, strong heartbeat but... the damage is not physical I fear..."

Starky snarled. "Whilst we waste time here they are getting closer to..."

Savage put a hand ont he mans shoulder "These people were innocents, caught up in this mess... If we do not care for the people we claim to protect and serve, why then do we do what we do?"

Starky pulled a face and nodded "You're right! Holmes! He should have waited, for all of us!"

Savage spun, looking about. They were in a drawing room, walls lined with books and a large oak desk beneath a window. Everything was - as might be expected - sumptuous. "Where is the vault where the Queen would store the Grail? And what of the Queen herself? Is she in danger!"

"Down! The vault is several floors down, beneath the Palace!" said Watson. "Prince Albert had it commissioned. Holmes was consulted on methods to protect it! I, ah, saw the plans on Holmes' desk when he was slumbering."

Savage nodded. "The stairs then, or a lift of some kind!"

The Companions followed Dr Watson as he hurried through the halls.

They came across other comatose people, all without a mark and all prone!

"There is a lift, just up..."

"THAT'S AS FAR AS YOU GO!" said a female voice. The group rounded a corner and there were three ladies, all dressed in fine gowns and beautiful, though with something... sinister about them. Dark.

Evil.

"We..." said one, with lustrous curly brown locks.

"...are the sisters..." said another with jet black hair. Beauty, yes, with red ruby lips and hazel eyes... and yet...

"Three!" said the third. Like the others lovely to behold but despite her curled blond tresses and pretty face, there was something... off. Something awful about them.

"More delights to savour..." said Brunette.

"...Sisters?" finished the Raven haired lady.

The blond smiled, revealing awful rotting yellow and brown teeth!

"Ugh!" declared Starky who had an eye for the ladies. He'd been distracted by their beauty but now...?

OOC DANGER SENSE for Steeplejack

AV10 + 2d12+0 2,3+0 = 5 (15) vs
OV4 + 2d12+0 12,2+0 = 14 (18)

FAILED

Despite not getting any specific warning about them, Steeplejack felt 'uneasy' as did all the men in the ladies presence. They were stood twenty feet away at the entrance to a lift and waiting for the Grail Guardians. Nearby were two Courtiers, unconscious like everyone else...

Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Steeple_jackuk Sun Oct 29 2023, 15:19

Admin wrote:
OOC DANGER SENSE for Steeplejack

AV10 + 2d12+0 2,3+0 = 5 (15) vs
OV4 + 2d12+0 12,2+0 = 14 (18)

FAILED

Despite not getting any specific warning about them, Steeplejack felt 'uneasy' as did all the men in the ladies presence. They were stood twenty feet away at the entrance to a lift and waiting for the Grail Guardians. Nearby were two Courtiers, unconscious like everyone else...

Despite the fact that magic or the usual time dilation was affecting his danger sense, as he didn't need to be told twice that evil was before him, Steeplejack didn't need to be told twice that something was amiss. But he hadn't been around this long without spotting a clue. If his danger sense hadn't warned him, but there was still danger, what might it be? It was obvious the three sisters were the source, but what if they were an illusion and the danger was behind them, or it was some sort of trap designed to take their shots and use them against them. Since he knew something was amiss, and despite the need for speed, Steeplejack was cautious. And motioned to his friend, the same. He then put his hand on the wall and sort to find if there was anything amiss in the space and place where they were.

OOC: I don't have any precognition or other sense that work through the earth (though something to think of for later) nonetheless much like using intelligence, or Spirit I wondered if I could make a straight up perception type check to see if my instinct for danger picks up something else. I realise the time dilation might be in effect, however does it work against natural abilities or all abilities. Using ones intelligence or other natural abilities might not carry the same response, but I realise its raw and not really an ability just using what one naturally possess to see if I can spot or see, or perceive something from the available data by careful observation.

If there is nothing to spot then, my first instinct would be to attack using the natural earth and wall of the corridor rather than scrap direct until we know a bit more of what we are facing.

Sj
Steeple_jackuk
Steeple_jackuk
Cosmic Level

Back to top Go down

Post  DavidMcMahon Mon Oct 30 2023, 01:16

"So you three are also in cahoots with those rogue mages who want to take the Grail for themselves," The Haunt asks the three while looking around for anymore folks who might pop out, "instead of keeping it safe where the Queen wants it?"
DavidMcMahon
DavidMcMahon
Cosmic Level

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Tue Nov 14 2023, 10:46

STEEEPLEJACK, HAUNT and the VICTORIAN HEROES

"What the...?" spluttered Watson. "They weren't there a moment before!" he exclaimed.

He held his leather medicine bag in front of his chest, hands trembling, as if that might protect him! Then he remembered his service revolver and fumbled for it in his pocket.

Starky stifled a curse - he was a gentleman even if these 'ladies' somewhat stretched the definition...

Savage stepped forward... "Crones! Your evil shall not thwart us! Stand aside or face... damnation!"

"Damnation?" screeched one.

"We are already..." added the second...

"DAMNED!" screamed the third, hissing and transforming ... into their true state of Vampires!

The NEW Vanguard TEAM UP! Haunt Issue #14 with special guest star Steeplejack! - Page 7 Dracula-2000

OOC Of course, Steeplejack is somewhat vulnerable inside a building such as this - floorboards and distance in between him and the natural ground of the Earth... I'll keep an eye on that.

The women prowl to the left and right, one in the middle.

"Do you sense it sisters? It tries to hide itself and yet... I can sense it's power, somewhere!" hissed one of the women.

"Does she speak of the Grail?" asked Savage.

All three women hissed as one, ugly, spitting, vile...

Starky laughed "You hags! The GRAIL shall soon be in it's rightful resting place! The Greatest mind of the age carries it even as we speak to replace the holy cup and restore again the power that expels evil such as you from this land! You are thwarted! Begone! Leave! Go while you can, get as far away as possible before the power of the HOLY GRAIL washes over you and burns both the evil from your souls and the flesh from your rotten bones!"

He finishes what he's doing and fishes a glowing wooden cross from his satchel! Small and nothing fancy about it, plus somewhat more... conventional and less 'steam punky' than he might normally generate. Was his power fading?

One of the Vampires hisses, snarling and swiping at a distance with her claws.

"We have been charged with..."

"...preventing you from proceeding..."

"...and helping the fool, Holmes, who will find only despair and defeat in the vaults below our feet!" said the three Vampires, each finishing the others sentence...

"...and yet..."

"...sisters..."

"...I feel something... amiss!"

Haunt and Steeplejack kept their eyes peeled.

Sure enough from the gaps of a vent hisses a cloud, smoke, a gas of some kind?

It coalesces into the handsome, solid form of a man somewhere in his early fifties. Stately looking, impeccably dressed in tuxedo and with a flowing cape, the man resembles Dracula but with a shock of silver hair on his head and a silver trident beard.

"My ladies..." he says, tipping a top hat.

"Gentlemen..." he states, accent clipped and aristocratic.

"The only question remains that now is of the manner of your demise. Those that wish to...serve... may drop to their knees and I shall bring you into my fold. Those that which to resist..."

He waved a hand at the three women.

"My daughters need to feed, so you shall form part of the menu!"

OOC you are not surprised by the appearance of the FOURTH Vampire. This one is a 'master' and more powerful than the others. Whether he is as powerful as Dracula (whom you have defeated) is quite another matter. That said, with the Time Dilation and the Victorian Adventurers to protect (they are clearly outmatched physically by the Vampire women) you may find this somewhat less straightforward than you might hope!

Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  DavidMcMahon Wed Nov 15 2023, 03:47

The Haunt decides to try something a bit different.  He's dealing with vampires and their magic could drop him if they hit him.  Vampires were vulnerable to sunlight but what part of sunlight?  UV?  IR?  Something else?  A combination of the sun's energies?  But why only direct sunlight since so much of the various 'harmless' energies that the sun puts out goes through walls easily enough but doesn't bother vampires?  He wished he was a scientist right now, then he could figure out what part of the sun was so deadly to vampires.

BUT

He turns his eyes into tanning booth lights [UV I believe] hoping that would be what harms vampires.  If not that, then he would try IR next.  He wasn't sure if he could create "sunlight" in its full form so would try those two ideas first.  Maybe modern day light bulbs would harm vampires. In the movies, even in modern times, they tended to use candles and torches instead of light bulbs in their hideaways, so maybe...? He could try various light bulb eyes if the fight lasted that long.

He shoots out a cone of UV light at the vampire wenches from his tanning booth light eyes.
DavidMcMahon
DavidMcMahon
Cosmic Level

Back to top Go down

Post  Steeple_jackuk Wed Nov 15 2023, 08:15

DavidMcMahon wrote:He shoots out a cone of UV light at the vampire wenches from his tanning booth light eyes.

Whilst the Haunt tries to use the power of light to combat the creatures of darkness. Steeplejack took a far more pragmatic approach and sought to stand in the way of the creatures and the rest of the team. Although formidable he knew that they, more than he, were vulnerable especially to this greater vampire who stood in the way.

OOC: Going with Dave's move first I am either going to reach with hand to hand, or use my earth moving powers to try and fling a wall of earth at them, see if I can get them on the defensive as need be.

Sj
Steeple_jackuk
Steeple_jackuk
Cosmic Level

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Thu Jan 04 2024, 23:37

STEEPLEJACK

The earth moving hero summoned up the stone, brick, rock and soil that formed the ancient Palace. A rumbling - like an Earthquake - rang out and he was thankful that the Palace had Marble floors, the natural rock providing something - a base, a source, for his powers to work. Might they work if he were stood on wood? Perhaps not, with a gap of air between him and Terra Firma which granted his abilities. This way he seemed to 'reach' through the floor, the brick, rock, earth and into the core of the planet to reach down and tear up a fountain of earth that smashed through the cellars of the palace and thrust up through several floors, crashing the marble aside to form a barrier of sorts!

The Queen would - most assuredly - NOT be amused at the mess, however!

HAUNT

Thinking quick, the shape changing hero transformed his face into a large heat lamp, UV Rays shining blue light into the corridor and at the approaching Vampires.

For their part they hissed and came on.

Then they stopped.

OOC

Self Manipulation to provide a kind of Heat Vision (specifically UV Rays which will cost a couple of points of AV/EV. However, countering that will be the Vampires natural aversion to such types of light which works as an Attack Vulnerability (-3 CS or in our rules -6 APs OV/RV). As such...

AV9 + 2d12+0 8,12+0 = 20 (29) vs
OV9 + Time Dilation 4 - 6 OV (UV Ray Vulnerability) - Surprise (no idea what they face) 2 + Multi Attack on 3 (+4) + 2d12+0 3,2+0 = 5 (14)
Success +5

EV9 +5 (14) vs RV9 + Multi Attack 4 + Time Dilation 4 - Attack Vulnerability 6 (RV11)=3 RAPs on each.

The Vampires on body 6/9 but the shock effect of being struck by 'sunlight' whilst in the shadowy confines of the Palace has them scared for their 'lives'!

"NOOOOO!!!! AIIIEIIEEE!" they scream as one, smoke pouring from their blistered skins and heat flaring up in small fires on their (they thought) perfect alabaster invulnerable (?) forms!

"Ye gods!" splutters Watson. Savage gaped, glancing at his gun. "Bullets do nothing but... a blue light ... destroys them?"

"You have shown the way!" laughs Starky, fishing in his leather satchel of tricks and coming out with a small pistol along with what appeared to be a tiny bellows and angled mirrors set on it, all glowing slightly due to the mutant power that transformed them. "Bullets are soooo old hat, dear fellow!" laughed Starky. "These ladies need to get out more, get some fresh air, and sunlight!"

He pulled the trigger and a thin beam of light similar to the Haunts but nowhere near as potent lanced out. Though he didn't come close the Vampires screeched and collapsed into smokey clouds, draining through the hole Steeplejack had made to escape into the bowels of the Palace...

All was silent then - the fellow in the top hat and tails... gone!

Steeplejack peered around his column of earth expecting danger, attack from any angle at any moment, but it seemed Haunts unusual attack had scared the vile creatures - and the one who summoned them - off. What was more, the hero - with a waved hand, formed steps from the earth column to smooth them and provide a direct route down into the bowels of the Palace itself.

Somewhere down there was the place where the Holy Grail was to be set. Villains waited, but for now, all was quiet.

"Do we take Mr Gibbs new passage way down into the depths of the Palace to find the vault or the stairs?" asked Savage. He glared into every shadow, waving a lit match to light the place through in truth Haunts strange UV lamp ray face cast more than enough light to see by...

Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Steeple_jackuk Mon Jan 08 2024, 08:45

Admin wrote:STEEPLEJACK

"Do we take Mr Gibbs new passage way down into the depths of the Palace to find the vault or the stairs?" asked Savage. He glared into every shadow, waving a lit match to light the place through in truth Haunts strange UV lamp ray face cast more than enough light to see by...

Steeplejack didn't wait for a reply, he urgently said. "Gentleman, we must, any other route implies delay and our enemies will take flight once they have the grail."

OOC: What do you think Dave?

BTW 1st Dave hope all your scans go well. And secondly does the new ruling on City of Heroes by the owners over one of the servers, effect what will happen to your server? Curious to know, since we were only speaking about it a few days ago. Gamesradar is what I am referring to if you've not seen it.

Sj
Steeple_jackuk
Steeple_jackuk
Cosmic Level

Back to top Go down

Post  DavidMcMahon Tue Jan 16 2024, 15:17

"Lead the way, Steeplejack," the Haunt replies as he adds a spotlight to his other "light eyes" to help everyone see what's in front of them. He will take the back position and stretch his neck up so everyone can see the pathway ahead.
DavidMcMahon
DavidMcMahon
Cosmic Level

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 7 of 7 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7