The Vanguard Play by Post Roleplaying Game
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The NEW Vanguard TEAM UP! Haunt Issue #14 with special guest star Steeplejack!

3 posters

Page 6 of 7 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Go down

The NEW Vanguard TEAM UP! Haunt Issue #14 with special guest star Steeplejack! - Page 6 Empty Re: The NEW Vanguard TEAM UP! Haunt Issue #14 with special guest star Steeplejack!

Post  Admin Fri Jun 02 2023, 00:22

It was indeed a zombie, and one that had been dead for a while judging by the decayed state!

Haunt turned the thing over expecting a corpse ... and wasn't surprised when it moved! It chattered with teeth exposed from a decayed cheek, flesh mostly missing. Hard to tell if it were man or woman, but the clothes were rags and what remained underneath was stringy flesh and bone.

Despite being undead, a Zombie was reasonably strong as it had none of the self imposed limitations of humans. Even so it paled in comparison to Haunt who could consider himself one of the stronger superheroes in Britain!

Back on the shore Steeplejack formed up a wall of rocks and soil, telling the others to stay back. More shambling forms came from the mist and Watson spluttered "Ye gods! What are we facing now, and on Englands own shores!"

Starky frowned "We've seen the power of the Grail Good Doctor and know what it can do. All this time it must have been holding back the creatures we see approaching us! We MUST get the Grail back in its rightful resting place to restore the status quo!"

Savage aimed with his people and bellowed "Stay back! We are armed and will defend ourselves! I have no desire to shoot you!"

Of course there was no response - the dead continued to shamble out of the mist towards the group on the shore!

The NEW Vanguard TEAM UP! Haunt Issue #14 with special guest star Steeplejack! - Page 6 Zombie-icegif-1

Back in the water Haunt plucked the zombie with an over large hand and dangled it over the surface of the water, pinched between two huge fingers. Then he looked about.

More of them.

He counted ten... a dozen... more. Dark shakes floating in the water. Face down, on their side, no matter. Bodies, except when they sensed movement or the living, they came to life!

The dead were rising and had claimed London!

OOC Zombies normally wouldn't be a challenge but the time dilation and their sheer numbers might make things tricky. Also your companions do not have the benefit of bulletproof skin and just a bite or scratch from one of these things would doom them!
Admin
Admin
Admin

https://darkeningshadows.darkbb.com

Back to top Go down

The NEW Vanguard TEAM UP! Haunt Issue #14 with special guest star Steeplejack! - Page 6 Empty Re: The NEW Vanguard TEAM UP! Haunt Issue #14 with special guest star Steeplejack!

Post  Steeple_jackuk Sat Jun 03 2023, 14:26

Admin wrote:
OOC Zombies normally wouldn't be a challenge but the time dilation and their sheer numbers might make things tricky. Also your companions do not have the benefit of bulletproof skin and just a bite or scratch from one of these things would doom them!

Turning to Haunt Steeplejack said, "Time to take the skies again my friend, unless they've got other means to reach us at least we won't that way have to decimate and desecrate the dead as we go. Besides its the fastest way to get to the Palace."

Besides which, Steeplejack left a certain young lady behind and he was keen to make sure in this nightmare that had arisen in the absence of the grail's protection, she was OK.

Sj
Steeple_jackuk
Steeple_jackuk
Cosmic Level

Back to top Go down

Post  DavidMcMahon Sun Jun 04 2023, 23:06

"You're right, no need to get bogged down fighting endless hordes,' the Haunt replies looking over the group. "But my memory is playing tricks on me. Where exactly do we need to go with the Grail? Windsor Castle? Tower of London? Or...?"

ooc: yeah, I have forgotten. Embarassed
DavidMcMahon
DavidMcMahon
Cosmic Level

Back to top Go down

Post  Steeple_jackuk Mon Jun 05 2023, 07:37

DavidMcMahon wrote:"You're right, no need to get bogged down fighting endless hordes,' the Haunt replies looking over the group.  "But my memory is playing tricks on me.  Where exactly do we need to go with the Grail?  Windsor Castle?  Tower of London?  Or...?"

ooc: yeah, I have forgotten.    Embarassed

OOC: I might be wrong but wasn't it under Buckingham Palace, there was this deep huge tunnel I seem to remember to the vault. But I to am unsure as to its precise location.

Sj
Steeple_jackuk
Steeple_jackuk
Cosmic Level

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Tue Jun 13 2023, 21:18

OOC Yup it's been a while (crikey, still struggling to type with this hand. Will see how many updates I can get through before it cramps up...) so here's a reminder from the Golden Heroes Adventure 'Queen Victoria and the Holy Grail'...

The NEW Vanguard TEAM UP! Haunt Issue #14 with special guest star Steeplejack! - Page 6 Queen-Vic

Holmes turned. "Yes! There are too many to fight and though these things seem mindless, drawn to us by some base instinct I cannot help but feel a power is behind them, guiding them."

Watson, terrified and with trembling hands trying to steady his revolver as he pointed it at the advancing undead, spluttered "Whatever can you mean Holmes?"

"The Grail! The Grail, my dear Watson. It's very power, it's presence should repel these creatures! Instead they come at us as if forced, as if driven!"

Savage scowled. "Are you saying we shouldn't shoot these things Holmes?"

"I'm saying it won't do any good! They are already dead! Whatever power possesses them it will animate what remains of their body and compel it to come at us!" answered Holmes.

"How can you know all that?" asked Starky, jury rigging bits from his leather case to create a kind of short range flame thrower.

"Why my dear fellow it's Elem..."

"Don't say it!" said Watson.

Meanwhile Haunt formed himself into a balloon with gondola underneath albeit with large eyes on the side and spoke out "All aboard!"

The adventurers didn't need telling twice and Steeplejack was the last to clamber aboard as clawing hands reached for them but fell short as the haunt in dirigible form took to the misty sky over London.

Savage and Holmes conferred whilst Starkey simply shook his head. "We know where we are so it's simply a case of deducing the direction to the palace with...

"We'll need a compass!" said Watson.

Starkey raised an eyebrow and pulled one from his suit pocket.

Watson frowned. "Is there nothing you carry around on you or in your bag of tricks man? I'm finding it impossible to ..."

"Oh do keep up!" laughed Holmes, patting his friend on his shoulder. Watson scowled then grinned. The group peered below at the sight of hundreds of the dead looking up at them with baleful eyes before the smog took the sight of them away.

=========

Guided by Holmes, Savage and Starky above and around the London skyline to get to within sight of the outline of Buckingham Palace, the Haunt came in lower.

This time Steeplejack looked about for any waiting hordes. He was uneasy being away from contact with the ground but knew only a leap and he'd be down there again.

London was eerie. Deathly quiet. Not a sound or soul was about. Even dogs barking, the clop of hooves, cries of sellers, whistle of a Peeler or screams and laughter of children were absent.

London was in the deep, cold grip of absolute terror!

OOC Land in the grounds of Buckingham Palace or try another approach - landing on the roof for example?
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Steeple_jackuk Mon Jun 19 2023, 09:30

[quote="Admin"]

Guided by Holmes, Savage and Starky above and around the London skyline to get to within sight of the outline of Buckingham Palace, the Haunt came in lower.

This time Steeplejack looked about for any waiting hordes. He was uneasy being away from contact with the ground but knew only a leap and he'd be down there again.

London was eerie. Deathly quiet. Not a sound or soul was about. Even dogs barking, the clop of hooves, cries of sellers, whistle of a Peeler or screams and laughter of children were absent.

London was in the deep, cold grip of absolute terror!

OOC Land in the grounds of Buckingham Palace or try another approach - landing on the roof for example?

OOC: I'm back but loads to catch up on but will reply to this.

I've been thinking about this a lot and I wondered if when we land some sort of armoured vehicle but segmented like a centipede might get us all down safe through the roof and into the floors below to where the grail is kept. My thinking is that we daren't leave the others in case they get overwhelmed, but we need a way to get through smaller spaces and if Haunt could morph into such a vehicle then his armoured body would provide a natural defence from anything on the outside. I will mention this to Haunt in character but thought I'd write it out here to save writing it twice.

Sj
Steeple_jackuk
Steeple_jackuk
Cosmic Level

Back to top Go down

Post  DavidMcMahon Mon Jun 26 2023, 23:58

ooc: take the form basically of an amusement park roller coaster ride cars, without needing track, with a drill for the "front" of the first car. Between Steeplejack and the Haunt, should be able to drill/move earth right down to where we need to go. So I would say land in the yard and drill down. Can Steeplejack sense open spaces in the earth? If he can, he could send us the right way.
DavidMcMahon
DavidMcMahon
Cosmic Level

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Thu Jun 29 2023, 19:42

Haunt takes the form of a snake like amusement ride 'train' with a rotating corkscrew 'nose' at the front.

"I say Holmes!" spluttered Watson. "I don't dare ask, but is our friend intending to defile the grounds of Buckingham Palace by churning up the floor? Shouldn't be allowed, what?"

Holmes patted his friend on the shoulder. "Her Majesty the Queen will probably balance her annoyance at such an event against the joy of the Grails return my friend!"

Starky muttered something.

"What was that?" asked Savage.

"Hush Sir! I'm... I'm listening..." hissed Starky. "All of you! I beg, quiet please!"

The inventor was wearing a leather cap with bulbous ear covers and copper wires trailed into his leather satchel.

"What on earth is that madman doing now..." started Watson but at a scowl from Savage and raised eyebrow from Holmes the Doctor clammed up.

As the others glanced around the courtyard of the Palace Starky muttered "We are not alone, gentlemen! Whispers! Footsteps! I hear... heartbeats!"

OOC Danger Sense for Steeplejack...

2d12+0 2,8+0 = 10 + 10 (20) vs
OV4 + Time Dilation 6 + 2d12+0 5,4+0 = 9 (19)

Success +1

EV10 +1 (11) vs RV 4 + Time Dilation 6 (RV10)=1 RAP

They were in danger! Steeplejack couldn't tell from where, what or whom but as soon as he touched his feet on terra firma again he knew that danger was close by!

Haunt glanced at the ground, wondering whether to go through cobbles or lawns that looked like they'd been trimmed by a barber. Might the Queen be really 'put out' if he churned them up? Would it be easier to repair the ... he paused for thought as he heard the others talk. Starky was using some cobbled together gizmo to figure out if the place was really as empty as they thought. It looked empty...
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Steeple_jackuk Mon Jul 03 2023, 12:45

Admin wrote:Haunt glanced at the ground, wondering whether to go through cobbles or lawns that looked like they'd been trimmed by a barber. Might the Queen be really 'put out' if he churned them up? Would it be easier to repair the ... he paused for thought as he heard the others talk. Starky was using some cobbled together gizmo to figure out if the place was really as empty as they thought. It looked empty...

Heartbeats! Frostbite would wait to see what his friend would do, but for him heartbeats meant something other than zombies. Could this be an advent spearhead. Could they stop things here, and start to reverse this ghoulish situation. He stood ready to act taking the high ground, literally whilst indicating the others to find cover.

OOC: I am no expert in hiding in shadows, but will try and ascertain who is coming without being detected if possible, be it foe or advent foe and take action accordingly.

Sj
Steeple_jackuk
Steeple_jackuk
Cosmic Level

Back to top Go down

Post  DavidMcMahon Wed Jul 05 2023, 19:06

"Anyone know which direc ... nevermind," the Haunt said, reshaping his hearing to give himself seismic echolocation-type powers so he can "hear" where the hollow ground might be around him, stamping his foot to give him a sound to use for that.

ooc: And if that doesn't work, X-Ray machine eyes or magnetic resonance vision/hearing.
DavidMcMahon
DavidMcMahon
Cosmic Level

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Thu Jul 06 2023, 13:42

HAUNT

...reconfigures his head to make 'megaphones' where his ears are, then changes them to batlike ears for a wider range of hearing. It's tricky - he hears his friends breathing, their heartbeats, the blood pulsing in their veins but as he turns his head he hears in the shadows of the Palace itself other heartbeats.

A few of them.

Steeplejack turns to where Haunt is looking, then the others follow suit.

'Rumbled' the people in the shadow step forwards.

Dressed in Victorian 'tweeds' - brown trousers, waistcoat, jacket, white shirt and topped off by fine (expensive) shoes and bowler hats, four 'gentlemen' stepped into sight.

Savage raised his pistol, aiming at them, and barked "Declare your names and your intentions, sirs! I am an expert shot, be warned!"

One of the fellows, a burly strapping six and a half foot chap, grinned, though without humour. Another narrowed his eyes and a half smile crossed his face.

Another chap with a long black beard scowled under heavy brows and the last was impassive. He had no facial hair - even eyebrows - and appeared to be albino.

Narrow eyes/half smile spoke up. "The Grail. You have it. Place it upon the ground and leave. The British Empire thanks you for your service."

"Or don't." growled the big fellow. "Your choice."

Savage pursed his lips but glanced to Sherlock Holmes. The Detective narrowed his eyes. "Something is off." he muttered under his breath. Watson pulled his revolver out and took aim, albeit not as steady as Savage. Starky fished in his back for bits and pieces, wrapping and bolting hurriedly onto his existing gun.

Thick black beard took a step forward and Savage raised his pistol, taking aim. "Not another step sir. I shall shoot. You will die." said Savage.

"I think not." said black beard. "You have been given fair and only warning. Powers are ranged against you that you cannot comprehend."

"Are you of... the 'Order of Protective Sorcerers'?" asked Holmes.

Big fellow grinned, though his dark eyes glittered with menace. "Were. Not any more. We take more... direct action. Why do we debate? let us just take what we came for and slay these fools?"

BANG!

Savage shoots... The bullet stops about six inches short of the big fellows head, floating in the air. The man reaches out, takes the bullet from the air and turns it about. Narrowing his eye he seems to line up with Savage... and let's go...

OOC The bullet is heading back the way it came, to Savage! Bear in mind the Time Dilation (6 for Steep 4 for Haunt) making things hard but unless Steep or Haunt save the day, Savage is going to be struck by his own bullet!
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  DavidMcMahon Thu Jul 06 2023, 20:59

The Haunt quickly stretches himself over in front of everyone and uses his absorption defense of his stretchable body to absorb the bullet.

"Not nice," he says calmly waiting for Steeplejack to bust a move on them since he went full defense.
DavidMcMahon
DavidMcMahon
Cosmic Level

Back to top Go down

Post  Steeple_jackuk Sun Jul 09 2023, 18:33

DavidMcMahon wrote:The Haunt quickly stretches himself over in front of everyone and uses his absorption defense of his stretchable body to absorb the bullet.

"Not nice," he says calmly waiting for Steeplejack to bust a move on them since he went full defense.

Magi, Steeplejack hated magic, not least of all because he had little brook with it and little defence against it. If they were going to win, it was going to be purley on the basis of speed and little else. Haunt and he may have won through before now with luck, and brute force, but when it came to magic, Steeplejack had little up his sleeve, but speed.

"This isn't the time to be changing sides or quitting when your Queen and country needs you gentlemen."

Steeplejack added steel in his voice and a look of reproach on his face.

He didn't like tearing up the palace but he needed the raw materials around him to try and stop these cohort of chaos from stopping them at this crucial juncture. And so despite the time dilation effects he sought to push back and push his powers to trapping them all. if he could stop their mouths, and imprison their hands and motions in solid rock of the walls and floors around them, then it might be possible to stop them casting spells. At least long enough to return the grail to where it belonged and restore the country at the same time.

OOC: OK going to go for broke and use Earth Control to grapple these lot, and see to see if I can cacoon them only allow space for them to breath, not see or hear.

Sj

Steeple_jackuk
Steeple_jackuk
Cosmic Level

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Thu Jul 20 2023, 00:15

OOC Apologies for the delay. Every time I went to update this storyline I realised I hadn't finished statting up the bad guys. FINALLY done that now so here we go...

HAUNT became a 'human shield' as the bullet from Savages' pistol struck his elastic body.

No matter how dilated time was and how it affected Haunt and Steeplejack, there probably wasn't a conventional weapon made by man that could hurt the Haunt!

OOC I'll roll anyway. You never know.

The bullet would normally have an effect of 5 (Savage has a VERY powerful handgun) but it's actually been plucked from the air and flung back via powerful telekinesis (10APs) towards it's firer. Haunt interposes himself so the AV/EV is Haunts Dex and the OVR/RV are the APs of the attack (10). Hmmm with the time dilation this might not be so clear cut...

AV11 + 2d12+0 6,11+0 = 17 (28) vs
OV10 + TD 4  + 2d12+0 8,2+0 = 10 (24)

Success +3

EV14 vs RV14=0 RAPs

Haunt fails to dive in the way in time (just, by one AP)

The bullet moves far faster than it might normally and Haunt utters a curse under his breath as once more that 'Time Dilation' messes up his balance!

The bullet zips by him and Captain Savage is forced to leap aside at the very last moment!

OOC

AV10 + 2d12+0 2,4+0 = 6 (16) vs
OV8 + Acrobatics 3 dice + 5d12+0 1,5,10,6,7+0 = 17 (25)

MISSED

Savage falls to the side at the last moment as the bullet zips by him!

"Impressive." muttered the former OOPS sorcerer who sneers with contempt.

Steeplejack didn't mess about - whatever else these guys could do would hopefully be stifled if he could grapple them with the Queens beautifully manicured lawns!

OOC Going for Broke is a Critical Blow effectively. Did you mean that (will probably miss, this is going to be hard)? If so I can apply the [enalty for a crit blow retrospectively.

Earth Control 10 + 2d12+0 9,10+0 = 19 (29) vs
highest OV10 + Time Dilation 6 + Multi 4 + 2d12+0 8,5+0 = 13 (33)

FAILED (though not by much but to be successful you'd have needed a high roll or Crit Blow - that time dilation is really messing with you!

Steeplejack squinted. Where were... he was grabbing air as once more that strange 'Time Dilation' effect messed with his powers! No matter, he'd have to take them down one by one.

He blinked. What?

One of the fellows was shimmering, changing, growing, expanding... Until a fifty foot long from snout to tip of tail Black Dragon stood on the lawns of Buckingham Palace!

The companions scattered, running for cover. Holmes had pre warned them that though they were all remarkable people they were ranged against powers that only Haunt and Steeplejack might hope to counter!

A shimmering field - a bubble of energy - formed around a pair of the suited men whilst another with a drooping handlebar moustache and immaculate appearance stepped up. "I say, which of you fellows is said to be the stronger, the best fighter? I'll wager... fifty pounds (a sizeable sum in this day and age) you'll not last a round with me. Queensbury rules be damned!"

The two in the energy bubble - some kind of protective forcefield - started to form words and weave patterns in the air that left a glowing trail.

MAGIC!

"Don't kill them!" barked one of the men. "They are men with amazing powers and will join our cause... one way or another!"

The other fellow in the bubble sneered and seemed to adjust his spell.

OOC Magic Blast attack on each of you...

Both men are using less APs of Magic Blast than their full but the time dilation bumps it up....

Against Haunt:

Magic Blast 5 + Time Dilation 4 + 2d12+0 2,1+0 = 3 FUMBLE

The spell fizzles out and the fellow turns to his companion within the force field. "You blundering idiot! You put me off my spell!"

"I shall forgive that sleight this one time Mr Stanley but kindly watch your tongue and your manners in future!" said the other chap as he blasted magic at Steeplejack!

OOC Magic Blast on Steeplejack

Magic Blast 4 + Time Dilation 6+ 2d12+0 4,1+0 = 5 (15) vs
OV8 + 2d12+0 8,10+0 = 18 (26)

MISSED

"it appears your decision to 'pull our punches' on these gentlemen was misguided Mister Carmichael." sneered the fellow addressed as Mr Stanley.

"Indeed." said Carmichael. "Do try not to kill them though - with powers such as theirs, even if they seem barely able to control them - they could make a formidable addition to our ranks!"

"HA!" roared the Dragon, which had a voice like stepping on gravel. "If they survive this they may not be in any shape to serve!"

"Heed my words Black Dragon!" barked Carmichael. "CAPTURE, not kill!"

"I'll render them unconscious." said the fellow who was stepping forward with rolled up sleeves. "Come on them, who's first?"

OOC You win initiative next round. Holmes and company have run for cover but don't for a moment think they'll be sitting it out! Against a fifty foot dragon and someone who can turn bullets back on their firer they need to use brain rather than brawn...

You have four opponents.

Two are within a force field and able to blast Magic blasts out of it. That is very dangerous.

One is a fifty foot long dragon with a similar size wingspan that is threatening to breathe fire on you. Normally not an issue but with the time dilation...

The last is a fellow who, whilst dressed immaculately, gives the impression of a thug and a ruffian who likes nothing more than a good fight. He moves well (though Haunt and Steeplejack are superhuman in terms of reflex whilst this guy is 'the best a human can get') but that might not be all he can do. Every footstep on the lawn leaves him sinking inches deep as if he weighed a LOT more than he looks!
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Steeple_jackuk Sat Jul 22 2023, 16:06

Admin wrote:

One is a fifty foot long dragon with a similar size wingspan that is threatening to breathe fire on you. Normally not an issue but with the time dilation...

The last is a fellow who, whilst dressed immaculately, gives the impression of a thug and a ruffian who likes nothing more than a good fight. He moves well (though Haunt and Steeplejack are superhuman in terms of reflex whilst this guy is 'the best a human can get') but that might not be all he can do. Every footstep on the lawn leaves him sinking inches deep as if he weighed a LOT more than he looks![/i]

OOC: Paul quick question is the dragon made of earth and material - I'm wondering if it will be vulnerable to my earth moving powers. In which case I am going for the dragon. If not I'm for Mr Queensbury rules and try and take him down otherwise. Haunt might have a better hope of countering the other two.

"Gentleman I am surprised at you... Steeplejack spoke as he made his move. For Queen and country. This display is irresponsible and fast becoming irrevocable. Would you put aside your duties, your responsibilities for such an insubstantial thing as power? How can men such as you, set your sights so low? Surely the noble history of our country and the cause itself is sufficient to raise even the humblest to the heights with its lofty call to those who would heed it. Surely you would not be taken in with the promise of power which is a burden upon those who carry it so great that its often a terrible weight without mercy and upon one's soul that takes all and gives very little. It is a thin gruel to want for power for powers sake alone gentlemen. Come now, you are rational and spirited, men of courage and nobility to much so to be draw in by the spurious claims of power to put aside such noble deeds as you were surely once known for. Come now, though your sins be like scarlet let us reason together."

OOC: Whilst I am talking I am seeking to work out how best to take on the opponents we face whilst protecting the others and the grail.

Sj

Steeple_jackuk
Steeple_jackuk
Cosmic Level

Back to top Go down

Post  DavidMcMahon Sat Jul 22 2023, 16:49

ooc: Heh! Heh! Heh! I really wanted to go for the dragon too. Transform into a Centaur Cowboy and charge it, then use Giant Mace Hands to pummel it. However, Magic Blast is WAAAAAYYYYYYY more dangerous to us, is the Haunt's thinking.

So he will still transform into Centaur Cowboy but use those Stretchy Giant Mace Hands against the two in the force field who are trying to magic blast them. No ... actually this is Britain of the Victoria Era, Giant Croquet Mallets on those two. Seems more apt. AND THEN, WHEN IT LOOKS LIKE HE IS GOING IN FOR THE POUNDING, INSTEAD HE PULLS OUT HIS AURA OF FEAR. Just visually to sort of confuse them, he will smash his two croquet mallet hands together as he unleashes his Aura of Fear to make it look like the crashing noise is what caused it. Target, all the magicians not anyone else.

ooc2: since I know diddly about Cricket, croquet it is, formwise.
DavidMcMahon
DavidMcMahon
Cosmic Level

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Mon Jul 24 2023, 16:56

OOC The Dragon is flesh and blood. It seems like a 'natural' thing and that the human form is the disguise...

SCRAPPER vs STEEPLEJACK

"Well I say, aren't you quite the orator, eh, what? You talk about duty an what not, and make grand sweeping claims about what we should be doing and so on.... My dear chap, we ARE doing our duty! Those fools at OOPS had the grail stolen from under their noses on THEIR watch! Under our protection this great country will grow and thrive! We've seen the future! The old Queen doesn't last much longer, bless, and in only a few short years after that we are gripped in a war to end ALL wars with the hun!" said the handsome fellow in the immaculately tailored suit.

"I say, you are a ragamuffin aren't you? Been through the ringer have you? You look like the sort who puts up a good show so I hope you don't go down too easy. Your fellows ... including that Upstart Holmes ... look the rough and ready type but you... you have something about you."

"The look of eagles, I think."

"Oh do shut up and get on with it!" called one of the other mages from behind the safety of the force field.

The dragon whirled its head about and beheld a 'Centaur Cowboy' with giant mallets for hands...

It spoke - that deep growling louder than human voice coming from a maw so hot that grass withered with every word!

"They know magic these two and yet... a kind I cannot sense. No prisoners we said, yes? Just get the grail and be on our way..." growled the Dragon as it sized up the foe galloping towards it...

OOC

AURA OF FEAR attack by Haunt
AV10 + 2d12+0 9,3+0 = 12 (22) vs

Scrapper (5/6)
Int 5 + Time Dilation 4 + 2d12+0 5,5+0 = 10 DOUBLE plus 2d12+0 7,8+0 = 25 (34) FAILED

Mr Rafael Carmichael (9/9)
Int 9 + Time Dilation 4 +  2d12+0 10,2+0 = 12 (25) FAILED

Black Dragon (5/8)
Int 5 + Time Dilation 4 + 2d12+0 6,3+0 = 9 (18) Success +3
EV10 +3 (EV13) vs RV8 + TD 4 (12)=1 RAPs
BLACK DRAGON TURNS TAIL AND TAKES TO THE AIR TO FLEE for one rap (2 rounds)

Mr Lucifer Stanley (8/8)
Int 8 + Time Dilation 4 + 2d12+0 1,12+0 = 13 (25) FAILED

HAUNT vs BLACK DRAGON

The Haunt sees his enormous opponent take to the sky with a ferocious beating of wings and the chap squaring up to Steeplejack looks up, tutting. "Now where is HE off to? You look around for ages for a reliable Dragon, TWO show up
(OOC if you recall Morgana Le Fay transformed into a Dragon to burn through the rock to enter the vault to steal the grail originally in QUEEN VICTORIA AND THE HOLY GRAIL)
and neither is very reliable!"

He turned to Steeplejack. "Now, shall we commence the lesson?" he says, grinning. Then he glances down and frowns. Whilst he's been stood in pace a moment he'd sunken six inches into the lawn, and all behind him were similar deep compacted footprints...

OOC Before the 'lesson' begins, how is Steeplejack going to play this? He has 5 attack/4 Defence dice to play with and if he uses 4-5 Attack dice he has no defence dice to use. All in for attack, use a balance (7 dice split 4/3 or 3/4 attack/defence?) or see what he's got first (1 attack 4 defence) or some combination in between? Crit Blow/Dev Attack? Be careful - that Time Dilation of 6 will pay dividends at Adventure End but has punished you throughout!
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Steeple_jackuk Thu Jul 27 2023, 13:33

[quote="Admin"][quote]He turned to Steeplejack. "Now, shall we commence the lesson?" he says, grinning. Then he glances down and frowns. Whilst he's been stood in pace a moment he'd sunken six inches into the lawn, and all behind him were similar deep compacted footprints...

OOC Before the 'lesson' begins, how is Steeplejack going to play this? He has 5 attack/4 Defence dice to play with and if he uses 4-5 Attack dice he has no defence dice to use. All in for attack, use a balance (7 dice split 4/3 or 3/4 attack/defence?) or see what he's got first (1 attack 4 defence) or some combination in between? Crit Blow/Dev Attack? Be careful - that Time Dilation of 6 will pay dividends at Adventure End but has punished you throughout!

OOC: I think I am going to play it safe for now. Taking the Time Dilation penalty has really been a bit of a millstone around my neck when its comes to the action. So I think I am going to go 2/3 Att/Def and go for Devastating attack.

Steeplejack decided the time for talking was over. They all had been drinking too much of what later generations would call, "Cool Aid" and got drunk on their own power. Perhaps this was also an unrealised effect of the grail. That its absence had left in its wake a waning of duty and character with each man or woman doing what they felt was right in their own eyes.

Sj
Steeple_jackuk
Steeple_jackuk
Cosmic Level

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Tue Aug 08 2023, 23:57

OOC Hmmm, I think I should clarify - I might have messed up a little with the dice split thing when I was describing, my apologies. When you use Attack Dice you reduce your Defence Dice by the same amount (so you can never fully defend and fully attack, there is a balance to be struck). Using 2 Attack Reduces your Defence by 2 dice (leaving you 2 dice). Using 1 Attack reduces your Defence by 1 die leaving you 3 dice for defence. I'll assume you go with that as the gist of your post was to play it cautious with the time dilation playing havoc as it is.

STEEPLEJACK vs SCRAPPER

The handsome well dressed man circled Steeplejack in a fighting stance, hands held up in Marquis of Queensbury style.

Steeplejack might have found it laughable - normally - save that the time dilation had him following 'ghosts' that appeared several feet from where they'd been if he dared so much as blink or use less than his full focus. Even then, his eyes were trying hard to deceive him and he knew even his superhuman speed and reflexes that made him one of the most agile superheroes around might not get him out of this scrape!

The saving grace was that Haunt had all sorts left in his bag of tricks - shape changing, that fear effect, vast Superhuman strength and durability as well as matchless skill with his hammer like hands that never seemed to miss. He also appeared to be coping better with the time dilation. Steeplejack rued his years of being out of costume then grinned. He'd made a life for himself, settled down, become successful instead of gallivanting about on rooftops. He'd hardly been idle!

Still, the 'ring rust' might yet bite him - hard!

"I say there fellow. Curious style you are using. I see your reflexes are as sharp as a tack, your balance greater than a mountain goat and in the next instance, you reel drunkenly about and appear not to see me! Oh do be a sport and try to not make this... too easy!" laughed Scrapper.

OOC

Steeplejack struck out at the fellow, hoping not just to put him down but shut him up too!

AV14 + 1D M Arts + 3d12+0 1,9,5+0 = 14 (28) vs
OV10 + Time Dilation 6 + 2d12+0 2,10+0 = 12 (28)

Success! +0

EV13 vs RV9 + 6 TD (RV15)=No damage!

"Well, I felt it, but I'm afraid such trifling blows are to me what a light breeze is to a common or garden mortal man!" laughed Scrapper.

OOC

Going for a CRIT BLOW

AV10 + Time Dilation 6 + 4D M Arts + 6d12+0 8,9,9,8,6,4+0 = 18 DOUBLE plus 2d12+0 3,2+0 = 5 (39) vs
OV13 + 3D Acro + 5d12+0 7,8,7,4,10+0 = 14 DOUBLE plus 2d12+0 3,5+0 = 8 + Crit Blow 4 = 39

Success + 0

EV9 + TD 6 (EV15) vs RV9+Force Shield 13 (RV22) - 6 (Crit Blow) (RV16)=No damage

THUD! THUD! THUD!

Steeplejack threw up (at the last moment) his Earth shield which reached up like a thin wall to block each blow that would otherwise have landed on him!

Scrapper is taken aback a little. "I say! Well that's not sporting is it, eh? I wonder what the Marquis of Queensbury would say about using the Earth itself to block my blows? Confounded cheat! I'll show you!"

HAUNT vs LUCIFER STANLEY

One of the pair of Sorcerers waves his hands and forms glowing symbols in the air and points at Haunt!

OOC

Magic Blast 10 + Time Dilation 4 + 2d12+0 7,6+0 = 13 (27) vs
OV8 + 2d12+0 10,8+0 = 18 (26)

Success +1

EV10 + TD 4 (EV14) +1 (EV15) vs RV10=5 RAPs. Haunt on Spirit 5/10

Haunt feels a soul searing blast pass through him! Though there isn't a mark on his body he feels pain unlike any other as his very soul - that which makes him feel and experience, is torn at!

The other fellow is making a careful circuit around the various fights and is heading towards Sherlock Holmes, Watson, Savage and Starky where they are taking cover in the trees!

Savage is firing with his revolver with pinpoint accuracy but some force, some... invisible field around the villainous former OOPS mages is protecting them! It would take a force greater than a mere service revolver to pierce that barrier, no matter how accurate!

OOC Steep and Haunt win initiative.
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Steeple_jackuk Sat Aug 12 2023, 16:09

[quote="Admin"]
OOC

Steeplejack struck out at the fellow, hoping not just to put him down but shut him up too!

Success! +0

"Well, I felt it, but I'm afraid such trifling blows are to me what a light breeze is to a common or garden mortal man!" laughed Scrapper.

Steeplejack ground his teeth, this was proving insidiously difficult and with his friends in trouble he needed to even the playing field and quickly. Once again he went for the same strategy, hoping his flailing attempts at puglism and martial arts might yet yield a better result. Either that or he had to rethink his strategy.

OOC: Ok go for 3 dice on attack and 2 on defence. Hoping that the dice fall my way this time.

Sj
Steeple_jackuk
Steeple_jackuk
Cosmic Level

Back to top Go down

Post  DavidMcMahon Sun Aug 20 2023, 14:07

The Haunt brings up his Fog and then attacks the sorcerer his his mallet hands from the Fog. Going for a critical hit. He can't take any blast of magic like that and wants to avoid it as much as possible while doing as much damage as possible.

Admin wrote:
OOC Hmmm, I think I should clarify - I might have messed up a little with the dice split thing when I was describing, my apologies. When you use Attack Dice you reduce your Defence Dice by the same amount (so you can never fully defend and fully attack, there is a balance to be struck). Using 2 Attack Reduces your Defence by 2 dice (leaving you 2 dice). Using 1 Attack reduces your Defence by 1 die leaving you 3 dice for defence. I'll assume you go with that as the gist of your post was to play it cautious with the time dilation playing havoc as it is.

STEEPLEJACK vs SCRAPPER

The handsome well dressed man circled Steeplejack in a fighting stance, hands held up in Marquis of Queensbury style.

Steeplejack might have found it laughable - normally - save that the time dilation had him following 'ghosts' that appeared several feet from where they'd been if he dared so much as blink or use less than his full focus. Even then, his eyes were trying hard to deceive him and he knew even his superhuman speed and reflexes that made him one of the most agile superheroes around might not get him out of this scrape!

The saving grace was that Haunt had all sorts left in his bag of tricks - shape changing, that fear effect, vast Superhuman strength and durability as well as matchless skill with his hammer like hands that never seemed to miss. He also appeared to be coping better with the time dilation. Steeplejack rued his years of being out of costume then grinned. He'd made a life for himself, settled down, become successful instead of gallivanting about on rooftops. He'd hardly been idle!

Still, the 'ring rust' might yet bite him - hard!

"I say there fellow. Curious style you are using. I see your reflexes are as sharp as a tack, your balance greater than a mountain goat and in the next instance, you reel drunkenly about and appear not to see me! Oh do be a sport and try to not make this... too easy!" laughed Scrapper.

OOC

Success! +0

OOC

Going for a CRIT BLOW

AV10 + Time Dilation 6 + 4D M Arts + 6d12+0 8,9,9,8,6,4+0 = 18 DOUBLE plus 2d12+0 3,2+0 = 5 (39) vs
OV13 + 3D Acro + 5d12+0 7,8,7,4,10+0 = 14 DOUBLE plus 2d12+0 3,5+0 = 8 + Crit Blow 4 = 39

Success + 0

EV9 + TD 6 (EV15) vs RV9+Force Shield 13 (RV22) - 6 (Crit Blow) (RV16)=No damage

THUD! THUD! THUD!

Steeplejack threw up (at the last moment) his Earth shield which reached up like a thin wall to block each blow that would otherwise have landed on him!

Scrapper is taken aback a little. "I say! Well that's not sporting is it, eh? I wonder what the Marquis of Queensbury would say about using the Earth itself to block my blows? Confounded cheat! I'll show you!"

HAUNT vs LUCIFER STANLEY

One of the pair of Sorcerers waves his hands and forms glowing symbols in the air and points at Haunt!

OOC

Magic Blast 10 + Time Dilation 4 + 2d12+0 7,6+0 = 13 (27) vs
OV8 + 2d12+0 10,8+0 = 18 (26)

Success +1

EV10 + TD 4 (EV14) +1 (EV15) vs RV10=5 RAPs. Haunt on Spirit 5/10

Haunt feels a soul searing blast pass through him! Though there isn't a mark on his body he feels pain unlike any other as his very soul - that which makes him feel and experience, is torn at!

The other fellow is making a careful circuit around the various fights and is heading towards Sherlock Holmes, Watson, Savage and Starky where they are taking cover in the trees!

Savage is firing with his revolver with pinpoint accuracy but some force, some... invisible field around the villainous former OOPS mages is protecting them! It would take a force greater than a mere service revolver to pierce that barrier, no matter how accurate!

DavidMcMahon
DavidMcMahon
Cosmic Level

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Sat Aug 26 2023, 14:38

STEEPLEJACK vs SCRAPPER

Steeplejack grit his teeth. This fellow was tough and arrogant, probably a decent fighter. Problem was that he knew in his own time without the kind of weird 'time dilation' effect that had dogged his every move this fight would probably already be over!

Moving about, looking for openings he noticed the Haunt behind him opening up his cape and knew what that meant - FOG!

Problem was he couldn't see any better than the next person in dense fog like the kind Haunt generated !

He needed to end this... FAST!

OOC I am assuming a CRITICAL BLOW because a standard strike didn't make a dent next time...

AV14 + 3D M Arts + 5d12+0 3,9,4,10,12+0 = 22 (36) vs
OV10 + Time Dilation 6 + Crit Blow 4 + 2d12+0 3,4+0 = 7 (27)

Success + 4

EV 13 + 4 (17) vs RV 9 + 6 TD (15) - Crit Blow 6 (9)=8 RAPs

POW!

This time Steeplejack struck... hard!

"Ha! You really should find another... Ufff... Profession dear boy as... Nnngh... what...? What the... oooof! Deuce?" spluttered Scrapper as he was given the boxing lesson of his life! He stumbled backwards as Steeplejack pressed and struggled to stay on his feet, tottering as he took a beating which he wasn't used to!

But he was still standing!

"Heh. I underestimated you sir!" laughed the villain, though without humour. "A mistake I shall not make again! Have at thee!"

He launched at Steeplejack!

OOC

Going for a CRIT BLOW

AV10 + Time Dilation 6 + 4D M Arts + 6d12+0 12,2,5,3,3,8+0 = 6 DOUBLE plus 2d12+0 1,3+0 = 10 (26) vs
OV14 + 2D Acro + 4d12+0 1,12,6,7+0 = 19 (33)

Missed!

Despite thinking he was dodging a 'ghost' as the villain seem to shift and hope about to his eyes, Steeplejacks reactions were otherworldly.

Already one of the most agile and accomplished hand to hand combatants in the SuperHeroic community, his skills and experience made him nigh unbeatable in a straight up fistfight. He wasn't the strongest, despite being able to heft around ten tons over his head, but he was strong, fast and smart enough to land blows with timing and precision that made him punch about his weight!

Scrapper realised this too.

"I know a better man when I meet one. It's a first for me..." he spat through bloodied teeth. "Tell me, fast man... how are you... against MAGIC!" and he started to form a shape in the air, light dancing around his fingertips!

OOC Steep wins initiative again...
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Mon Aug 28 2023, 10:44

OOC Try again. Typed up a reply and misclick... gone! Then had to go to work... Doh!

HAUNT vs LUCIFER STANLEY

Haunt scowled. The man in the fine clothes ahead of him was covered by a shimmering field - force field - and able to fire through that field with his magic blasts! That meant the hero from the future needed to take him down - fast!

Forming his fists into giant 'mallets of justice' Haunt spewed fog out all around from the folds of his cloak.

"That won't help you! Surrender! Save yourself some pain! In moments my associate will have captured your friends and your foolish do-gooder nature won't let harm come to them! There is no way you can win - you face not just talented individuals, but the power of the arcane and no mortal can stand against that!"

This fellow needed taking down a peg or three...

OOC CRIT BLOW

Haunt AV11 + 6D Weaponry (dodging a magic blast won't help anyway) + 8d12+0 4,2,6,5,9,9,10,4+0 = 18 DOUBLE plus 2d12+0 12,2+0 = 32 (43) vs
OV 6 + Time Dilation 10 + Crit Blow 4 + 2d12+0 2,11+0 = 13 (33)

Success + 4

EV 15 +4 (19) vs RV 17 + Time Dilation 4 (21) - Crit Blow 6 (15)=4 RAPs

Body 3/7

"Ooof!" grunted the villain as his force field bent and twisted... but held! He looked somewhat crumpled but formed a shape with his hands. "My turn!" he hissed!

OOC Magic Blast 10 + Time Dilation 4 + 2d12+0 4,11+0 = 15 (29) vs
OV 8 + Fog 4 (2 column shifts) + 2d12+0 1,10+0 = 11 (25)

Success + 3

EV10 + Time Dilation 4 + 3 (17) vs RV 10=7 RAPs

Haunt was on Spirit 5/10 so this puts him down unless he soaks up 3 RAPs to put him on Spirit 1/10. That would also leave him STUNNED and unable to act in the next round.

That leaves Haunt on 135HP and Spirit 1/10, STUNNED

"Touché!" laughed the villain but he wiped a smudge of blood from his mouth and snarled. "For that you are going to pay, masked man! Killing you would be too easy! I'm going to make you suffer!"

Rafael Carmichael, the last of the four (with the Dragon already having flown off) shouted over his shoulder "Stop messing about Mr Stanley! Put him down and help the Scrapper! He's got a live one!" Then he turned to face the heroes companions.

"Now then. Whoever has the Grail, give it to me!" he said, his voice strangely (magically) compelling!

OOC Control 11 + 2d12+0 1,12+0 = 13 (24) vs
Multi Attack on four Highest Int (Holmes) 9 + Multi 4 + 2d12+0 6,8+0 = 14 (27)

Failed!

The companions paused. Watson spluttered "What's he doing? his voice... strangely persuasive..."

"What?" spluttered Carmichael. "You shouldn't be able to..."

Steampunk Man (Starky) glanced at Holmes who nodded "If you would do the honours dear fellow?"

Starky grinned, settles his goggles in place and pulled up a strange gun with pipes and tubes and a steam pumping bellow on the top. It looked like something out of a Jules Verne novel, albeit with more weird!

OOC CRIT BLOW AV8 + Weaponry 2D + 4d12+0 9,10,1,9+0 = 18 DOUBLE plus 2d12+0 7,8+0 = 33 (41) vs
OV 7 + Range 1 + Crit Blow 4 + 2d12+0 9,12+0 = 21 (33)

Success +4

EV7 + 4 (11) vs RV 6 - 6 (Crit Blow)=11 RAPs

CARMICHAEL is DOWN!

BOOM!

"I say, have you killed him?" asked Savage as they saw the villain fly backwards through the air some forty feet (+4 - 2APs weight=Distance 2APs or 40 feet, give or take) into Haunts Fog!

"Who cares?" remarked Starky. "Let's go help the others!"

"You do that... I have a plan..." said Holmes and he slipped away into the shadows of the trees and bushes. "Here we go again." muttered Watson and he pulled out his service revolver, glancing at the elephant gun which Savage unslung from his back. "I never want to resort to violence, nut when needs must..." said the Captain...

The trio marched forward carefully into Haunts fog...

OOC Initiative... STEEP and HAUNT go first but HAUNT is STUNNED.
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Steeple_jackuk Mon Aug 28 2023, 15:44

[quote="Admin"]Scrapper realised this too.

"I know a better man when I meet one. It's a first for me..." he spat through bloodied teeth. "Tell me, fast man... how are you... against MAGIC!" and he started to form a shape in the air, light dancing around his fingertips!

OOC Steep wins initiative again...

Oh no you don't thought Steeplejack before the man could effectively render him senseless or worse. They'd not come through all this to now be brought so low. But what to do, normally a flurry of different options would be available to him. But with the effects of the time dilation now having their considerable effect on him, he couldn't risk missing or worse in this situation. To do so would leave him effectively dangling with his foe. A sideways glance showed that his considerably more powerful partner had just suffered from such a blow at the villain he was even now trying to render senseless.

Steeplejack was always man with his feet on the ground, in more ways than one. Himself something of a scrapper, when it came to it. His fists he felt he could use more so than anything else his unearthly powers gave him. So it was to them he once again turned.

OOC: Reluctantly going for what I did before Crit Blow and see if I can't stop him from casting his spell (Though I know this isn't D&D so no usual spell disruption as such) and or lay him out to lend Haunt a hand, and before the others become targets. Not that they are doing badly from the attack Starky managed just a moment ago.

Sj
Steeple_jackuk
Steeple_jackuk
Cosmic Level

Back to top Go down

Post  DavidMcMahon Thu Sep 07 2023, 03:34

The Haunt, being stunned, flops to the ground inside his Fog in hopes to make himself a lower profile if anyone tries shooting into it.
DavidMcMahon
DavidMcMahon
Cosmic Level

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 6 of 7 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next