The Vanguard Play by Post Roleplaying Game
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The NEW Vanguard TEAM UP! Haunt Issue #13 with special guest star Steeplejack!

3 posters

Page 11 of 12 Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 10, 11, 12  Next

Go down

The NEW Vanguard TEAM UP! Haunt Issue #13 with special guest star Steeplejack! - Page 11 Empty Re: The NEW Vanguard TEAM UP! Haunt Issue #13 with special guest star Steeplejack!

Post  Steeple_jackuk Mon Mar 21 2022, 14:11

Admin wrote:OOC: It's your call but I'd go with that. Taunt the thing, draw it's fire, throw everything into defence/avoidance and give Haunt the opportunity he needs to strike from a blindside and really unload with a Devastating Attack or similar. Or you can punch away, go for your own Dev Attack and hope to land a punch. Your call.

OOC: Yup lets go with this as a strategy going forward until or unless there is an opportunity to do something else.

Sj
Steeple_jackuk
Steeple_jackuk
Cosmic Level

Back to top Go down

The NEW Vanguard TEAM UP! Haunt Issue #13 with special guest star Steeplejack! - Page 11 Empty Re: The NEW Vanguard TEAM UP! Haunt Issue #13 with special guest star Steeplejack!

Post  Admin Tue Mar 22 2022, 14:23

STEEPLEJACK and HAUNT vs The ADVENT SHAPE SHIFTER!

Opting to let his friend and colleague do the heavy hitting, Steeplejack figured he would be better served drawing fire and hoped to move the creature into a position that would allow Haunt to do the maximum damage!

OOC He can still attack, but with throwing all dice into Acrobatics it doesn't leave much for accuracy.

AV13 + 1D M Arts (4D Acro) + Roll(3d12)+0: 5,10,8,+0 Total:18 (31) vs
OV17 + Roll(2d12)+0: 8,8,+0 Total:16 DOUBLE plus Roll(2d12)+0: 8,5,+0 Total:29 (46) Missed! (by a lot)

Steeplejack, normally incredibly accurate and agile found himself marvelling at the creature as it flowed faster than any water around his punches!

OOC Haunt is up and can strike with a Team Attack but not Blindside. This thing 'sees' in 360 degree vision not that you guys know that...
Admin
Admin
Admin

https://darkeningshadows.darkbb.com

Back to top Go down

Post  DavidMcMahon Tue Mar 22 2022, 23:35

Team attack, Fog up but not enough to affect Steeplejack, since it is so big and then tried and true Mallets of Justice attack.
DavidMcMahon
DavidMcMahon
Cosmic Level

Back to top Go down

Post  Steeple_jackuk Wed Mar 23 2022, 07:53

DavidMcMahon wrote:Team attack, Fog up but not enough to affect Steeplejack, since it is so big and then tried and true Mallets of Justice attack.

OOC: I'll continue to support as before...for now its wash, dry, repeat for me ;-)

Sj
Steeple_jackuk
Steeple_jackuk
Cosmic Level

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Thu Mar 24 2022, 12:53

HAUNT

With cloak swirling around him and his own legs stretched to give him height enough to sock the creature in the mass where he guesses its mouth (or at least the top half of its head) to be, Haunt deploys the 'twin hammers of justice'!

OOC Ordinarily because Haunt is so darned accurate with these things I would assume a Critical Blow. However, because he is so darned accurate, you might want to Devastating Attack BUT... this thing is very very agile (as seen by Steeplejack actually missing, can't remember when that last happened). So it's your call, I didn't want to make it for you. When the reply for this one pops up I'll resolve it first before the other posts...
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  DavidMcMahon Thu Mar 24 2022, 15:47

ooc: Let's go with the lower one for now. Crit or Dev is lower? Whichever. And see what happens.
DavidMcMahon
DavidMcMahon
Cosmic Level

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Mon Mar 28 2022, 09:22

HAUNT

OOC Critical Blow is the first port of call when wanting to batter an opponent. Devastating Attack is the much harder to hit/smashes through the defence if you do option.

Unlike, say, Marvel Superheroes back in the day, this game addressed the issues of not being able to break through an opponents' defences with options like Hero Points, Rolling Doubles and Crit Blow/Dev Attack along with a few other options. It's why it took over my affections when it came out in 85 or whenever, and despite a dalliance with other supers games I think it provides the best range of options to cover street to cosmic level characters.

CRIT BLOW Haunt Dex 10 + 6D (!) Weaponry (no mention of defence so I assume you are looking to put this thing down) + Roll(8d12)+0:
9,12,10,7,4,11,1,10,+0 Total:20 DOUBLE plus Roll(2d12)+0: 6,4,+0 Total:30 (40) vs
OV17 + Crit Blow 4 - Team Attack 2 + Roll(2d12)+0: 1,10,+0 Total:11 (30) Success +4
EV15 +4 (EV19) vs RV19 - 6 Crit Blow (RV13)=6 RAPs
Advent Shape Shifter is on 6/12 Body

With a THWACK! Haunt lands a pair of blows against the creature which reels... then flows around his hammer!

Seeing Haunt as the greater threat it levels an arm at him... and seems to flow/stretch out towards Haunt!

OOC Glue 16 + Accuracy 2D + Roll(4d12)+0: 12,1,4,7,+0 Total:19 (35) vs
OV10 + 4 Fog + 1 Range + Roll(2d12)+0: 9,10,+0 Total:19 (34) Success +1
EV16 +1 (17) vs RV15 (Str)=2 RAPs
Haunt is partially GLUED and Dex reduced to 8/10 (along with a drop in initiative). In addition he can't move but for Haunt that is not an issue as he can stretch.

Haunt finds himself pulling and pushing against thin strands of super sticky black goop - the creatures' own body or some secretion? Either way he's slowed and much more like to be walloped by this thing!

OOC Initiative...Roll(3d12)+0:

Haunt 24 + 7 (31)
Steeplejack 34 + 8 (42)
Advent Creature 23 + 4 (27)

Steep is up. Haunt has (kind of) shown that this creature can be hurt but it isn't easy. He has also been gooped up and if he gets gooped again might end up being a sitting duck!

If you are going to attack AND defend (which is a suggested tactic) remember that however many dice you use for attack reduces your defence and vice versa. So if Haunt uses his maximum (3D) for defence that 'only' leaves him 3D for Attack. Haunt is a very good fighter...

Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Steeple_jackuk Mon Mar 28 2022, 13:45

Admin wrote:Haunt 24 + 7 (31)
Steeplejack 34 + 8 (42)
Advent Creature 23 + 4 (27)

Steep is up. Haunt has (kind of) shown that this creature can be hurt but it isn't easy. He has also been gooped up and if he gets gooped again might end up being a sitting duck!

OOC: OK Unless Haunt needs freeing, I'm going to keep trying to distract this thing with blasts of earth and try even more to keep away from it. I don't need to get glued to it, no sir ee!

Sj
Steeple_jackuk
Steeple_jackuk
Cosmic Level

Back to top Go down

Post  DavidMcMahon Mon Mar 28 2022, 14:32

Let's go attack only with Crit blow again for the Haunt
DavidMcMahon
DavidMcMahon
Cosmic Level

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Wed Mar 30 2022, 17:48

STEEPLEJACK and HAUNT

OOC Steeplejack's best attack is still his Dex 13 (as opposed to his Earth Control 10) and I'd suggest he can still try a Crit Blow with 1D extra from M Arts (and 4D thrown into defence). With that force shield of his there's little chance of being zapped by the glue. I'll go with the options I list above unless you really want the Earth Control attack in which case I'll roll the whole lot again! This is not to railroad you but so you can use the attacks Steeplejack is most likely to hit with.

Steeplejack gets a team attack bonus this time around. Crit Blow.

Dex 13 + 1D M Arts + Roll(3d12)+0: 1,8,11,+0 Total:19 (32) vs
OV17 - Team Attack 2 + Crit Blow 4 + Roll(2d12)+0: 10,3,+0 Total:13 (32) Success
EV13 - RV19 - Crit Blow 6 (RV13)=0 RAPs

Despite striking the creature Steeplejack finds it's like punching water! It gets the creatures' attention though...

OOC Haunt swings those mighty 'twin hammers of justice' and concentrates purely on offence....

CRIT BLOW Haunt Dex 8 + 6D Weaponry + Roll(8d12)+0: 3,1,7,7,5,2,5,6,+0 Total:14 DOUBLE plus Roll(2d12)+0: 11,4,+0 Total:29 (37) vs
OV17 - Team attack 2 + Crit Blow 4 + Roll(2d12)+0: 3,11,+0 Total:14 (33) Success +3
EV15 +3 (EV18) vs RV19 - Crit Blow 6 (RV13)=5 RAPs
Advent Shape Shifter is on Body 1/12

POW! THWACK!

The creature roared, an inhuman sound of pain and fury, then it lashed out at both heroes!

OOC Creature Dex 11 + 3D M Arts + Roll(5d12)+0: 11,2,1,9,11,+0 Total:22 DOUBLE plus Roll(2d12)+0:
6,3,+0 Total:31 (42) vs
Highest OV 13 + Acrobatics 4D + Multi Attack 2 + Roll(6d12)+0: 11,9,11,7,7,8,+0 Total:22 DOUBLE plus
Roll(2d12)+0: 9,5,+0 Total:36 (51) Missed!

Despite being inhumanly fast the creature's wild lashing massive fists swung wide of the mark mostly thanks to Steeplejacks' speed!

OOC Same again? With this thing on it's last leg Steeplejack may want to throw caution to the wind and go all out with a Crit Blow or Dev Attack and all of his dice thrown at Martial Artist. I assume Haunt will do as he's done. It's trickier seeing as he's gummed up some but with all those dice you are practically guaranteed a double result...
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  DavidMcMahon Wed Mar 30 2022, 21:16

same again for the Haunt
DavidMcMahon
DavidMcMahon
Cosmic Level

Back to top Go down

Post  Steeple_jackuk Thu Mar 31 2022, 08:50

Admin wrote:STEEPLEJACK and HAUNT

[color=#0033ff]OOC Steeplejack's best attack is still his Dex 13 (as opposed to his Earth Control 10) and I'd suggest he can still try a Crit Blow with 1D extra from M Arts (and 4D thrown into defence). With that force shield of his there's little chance of being zapped by the glue. I'll go with the options I list above unless you really want the Earth Control attack in which case I'll roll the whole lot again! This is not to railroad you but so you can use the attacks Steeplejack is most likely to hit with.

Steeplejack gets a team attack bonus this time around. Crit Blow.

OOC: [i]Yup go for dev attack, might as well see how can finish it.

Sj
Steeple_jackuk
Steeple_jackuk
Cosmic Level

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Thu Mar 31 2022, 20:47

STEEPLEJACK and HAUNT

Steeplejack cut loose, trying to finish off the Advent shape shifter!

OOC DEV ATTACK

Dex 13 + 5D (M Arts) + Roll(7d12)+0: 9,12,7,7,5,3,6,+0 Total:14 DOUBLE plus Roll(2d12)+0: 1,7,+0 Total:22 (35) vs
OV16 + Dev Attack 8 + Roll(2d12)+0: 3,8,+0 Total:11 (35) Success (just!)
EV13 vs RV19 - DEV ATTACK 12 (RV7)=6 RAPs
The Advent Shape shifter is DOWN and OUT!

Despite flowing around the punches Steeplejack landed enough punches and kicks to catch the Shape Shifter until it staggered, reeled and collapsed in on itself as if it were a pool of oil!

All became quiet in the courtyard of the castle and Haunt used the breather to scrape off the Goop that still tied him up. It took some doing but he finally rid himself of the stuff and the pair were stood in the Castle grounds. It was quiet.

Very, very quiet...
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Steeple_jackuk Fri Apr 01 2022, 19:48

Admin wrote:STEEPLEJACK and HAUNT

Very, very quiet...

Looking to Haunt, Steeplejack with a lopsided grin said, "Yeah, I know. You softened him up for me. Anyway, I guess that isn't all the fun that is prepared, how do you want to play this? The others are stowed away up top at the tower still.

Sj
Steeple_jackuk
Steeple_jackuk
Cosmic Level

Back to top Go down

Post  DavidMcMahon Sat Apr 02 2022, 14:11

The Haunt looks around the courtyard to see if he spots anything out of the ordinary, besides his gelatinous cousin, if nothing too out of the ordinary, he will suggest they go back up and work their way down as originally planned. If something catches his eye, he will mention it to his friend.
DavidMcMahon
DavidMcMahon
Cosmic Level

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Thu Apr 07 2022, 08:54

HAUNT and STEEPLEJACK

The heroes look about. There was nothing else moving around and the black goop dripped from walls and overhangs but was otherwise inert.

Satisfied the enemy was put down, for the moment, the pair moved back to the top of the tower...

Only Mina Harker and the prone form of John Carter (of Mars) stood there. Mina was drenched in blood, from her mouth down her front!

Blood was spattered over the floor and there was no sign of the others...

The Vampiress turned to the heroes as they stepped over the crenellations of the castle wall and they saw her blood red eyes... They'd been gone only... thirty seconds or so, all in all? The group was gone. Blood all over the floor and a blood crazed vampire was in front of them!

Mina suddenly hissed, bearing her fangs... and lunged at the pair of heroes!

OOC And that will wrap this issue!

Keep an eye out for the Hero Point awards for this issue and we'll move onto the next (final) issue of this arc in a few days...

Admin
Admin
Admin

DavidMcMahon likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post  Steeple_jackuk Thu Apr 07 2022, 09:51

Admin wrote:HAUNT and STEEPLEJACK

The heroes look about. There was nothing else moving around and the black goop dripped from walls and overhangs but was otherwise inert.

Satisfied the enemy was put down, for the moment, the pair moved back to the top of the tower...

Only Mina Harker and the prone form of John Carter (of Mars) stood there. Mina was drenched in blood, from her mouth down her front!

Blood was spattered over the floor and there was no sign of the others...

The Vampiress turned to the heroes as they stepped over the crenellations of the castle wall and they saw her blood red eyes... They'd been gone only... thirty seconds or so, all in all? The group was gone. Blood all over the floor and a blood crazed vampire was in front of them!

Mina suddenly hissed, bearing her fangs... and lunged at the pair of heroes!

OOC And that will wrap this issue!

OOC: Oh my!!!

Keep an eye out for the Hero Point awards for this issue and we'll move onto the next (final) issue of this arc in a few days...

Steeple_jackuk
Steeple_jackuk
Cosmic Level

DavidMcMahon likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post  DavidMcMahon Thu Apr 07 2022, 10:27

ooc: Wouldn't you know it! Somebody or something was going to bite us on the butt! Razz
DavidMcMahon
DavidMcMahon
Cosmic Level

Steeple_jackuk likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Sun Apr 17 2022, 18:52

OOC Pffft. Few days. Been solid with work and had my son on my off days so behind on this, sorry!

Standard Award 37HP
We did not apply the 'time dilation' modifier this issue.
Four awards (Participation, Role-Playing, Saving Innocents and Thwarting the Opposition)

148 HP Each.

Haunt had 39HP, now has 187HP

Steeplejack had 294HP now has 442HP

You played Starky and Carter for the majority of the issue but you as players get the rewards so feel free to think about how you want to spend all those lovely points! Steeplejack might want to boost Mind and Spirit to make him more resistant against Mental and Mystical attacks or boost his Dex. I would need to check the cost (just checked) 255HP to raise Dex to 14. It's worth it, being the uber stat (let's not get into how Agility is the best stat in any RPG, but it seems to be!) and boosting Mind/Spirit to 8 each would leave you on 69HP remaining. Food for thought.

Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  DavidMcMahon Mon Apr 18 2022, 10:07

So many of my powers are linked to my stats, I wonder if I have enough points to raise any stat with accompanying powers?

Otherwise, what would Growth cost me? Being able to stretch, shapeshift and grow in size might be interesting. alien

Admin wrote:OOC Pffft. Few days. Been solid with work and had my son on my off days so behind on this, sorry!

Standard Award 37HP
We did not apply the 'time dilation' modifier this issue.
Four awards (Participation, Role-Playing, Saving Innocents and Thwarting the Opposition)

148 HP Each.

Haunt had 39HP, now has 187HP

Steeplejack had 294HP now has 442HP

You played Starky and Carter for the majority of the issue but you as players get the rewards so feel free to think about how you want to spend all those lovely points! Steeplejack might want to boost Mind and Spirit to make him more resistant against Mental and Mystical attacks or boost his Dex. I would need to check the cost (just checked) 255HP to raise Dex to 14. It's worth it, being the uber stat (let's not get into how Agility is the best stat in any RPG, but it seems to be!) and boosting Mind/Spirit to 8 each would leave you on 69HP remaining. Food for thought.

DavidMcMahon
DavidMcMahon
Cosmic Level

Back to top Go down

Post  Steeple_jackuk Tue Apr 19 2022, 20:58

Admin wrote:OOC Pffft. Few days. Been solid with work and had my son on my off days so behind on this, sorry!

Steeplejack had 294HP now has 442HP[/b][/size]

OOC: Thanks for this Paul, sorry work has been so mad. I'm glad that is behind you, at least for now. scratch

Anyway, I'll go with your suggestion and boast Dex to 14 and mind and spirit to 8 each, thank you kindly. Given the mystical nature of what we've been through it seems like a good way forward all things considered.

Sj
Steeple_jackuk
Steeple_jackuk
Cosmic Level

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Thu Apr 21 2022, 23:15

OOC Dave E - gotcha mate, will update SJack with 14 Dex and 8 Mind/Spirit with 69HP remaining

David M - hmmm I think you'd need quite a chunk more points to boost any stat. It's reminded me that Haunt is on 11 Dex, a point lost on me because you were using John Carter (of Mars) for most of this adventure. It didn't make much difference in the end - Haunt and SJack were up to the challenge of beating back the enemies they faced but it has reminded me to post the updated version.

In terms of boosting Dex you are 98HP short.
Str to 16 leaves you with 7HP
Body to 15 leaves you on 97HP

I'd have thought one of the other stats will be doable if those two of those three (biggest stats) can be improved.

Still facepalming that I didn't update the Haunt write up to March 2021 (showing 2020 version. Sorry. Doh!)
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  DavidMcMahon Fri Apr 22 2022, 00:04

Strength and Body are both nice. Hard to choose. What could I get in way of Growth if I went with that power? Level 0 or 1?
DavidMcMahon
DavidMcMahon
Cosmic Level

Back to top Go down

Post  DavidMcMahon Fri Apr 22 2022, 21:08

Welp, finally had time to dig out the ole BOH PDF and see that Growth would cost me 350 HP and each level up to level 8 would cost 100 HP. So out of my budget.

I think I will hold all my HP and try raising Dex the next time we get more HP. [Now, to just avoid spending what I have or a lot of it anyways] tongue I love you
DavidMcMahon
DavidMcMahon
Cosmic Level

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Sun Apr 24 2022, 23:31

OOC Will update SJ's sheet (have to hit sack now, shattered) and David M, yeah buying new powers is crazy expensive. The base cost is bad enough but every point up to 8 costs 100 each.... Must be better ways of spending your HP.

Hopefully this week should be easier. Got two shifts to grind through then a couple of days off.
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 11 of 12 Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 10, 11, 12  Next