The Vanguard Play by Post Roleplaying Game
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The New Vanguard! Frostbite and Lionheart Issue #3

3 posters

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

The New Vanguard! Frostbite and Lionheart Issue #3 - Page 2 Empty Re: The New Vanguard! Frostbite and Lionheart Issue #3

Post  Admin Mon Jan 27 2020, 20:08

OOC It's a tough choice for sure. If you want the best chance vs Evil Lionheart, I would say Saladin is it. He was a soldier, Lionheart a lawman so oin the case of one on one straight up battle he's your best bet BUT... it's a risk as usual letting the megalomaniac/walk the line between bad and downright evil half of Lionheart anywhere near controlling the body.

The dice MIGHT fall in your favour - it's pointless spending HP on hitting (because he already has half a dozen extra free dice) but there's no guarantee of a great double roll. Saladin does offer you another option. It might not guarantee success but in order to defeat a more powerful version of Lionheart it might be your best bet, and hope the fallout (if you somehow win) is a price you can pay...

Admin
Admin
Admin

https://darkeningshadows.darkbb.com

Back to top Go down

The New Vanguard! Frostbite and Lionheart Issue #3 - Page 2 Empty Re: The New Vanguard! Frostbite and Lionheart Issue #3

Post  Steeple_jackuk Mon Jan 27 2020, 20:37

Admin wrote:OOC It's a tough choice for sure. If you want the best chance vs Evil Lionheart, I would say Saladin is it. He was a soldier, Lionheart a lawman so oin the case of one on one straight up battle he's your best bet BUT... it's a risk as usual letting the megalomaniac/walk the line between bad and downright evil half of Lionheart anywhere near controlling the body.

The dice MIGHT fall in your favour - it's pointless spending HP on hitting (because he already has half a dozen extra free dice) but there's no guarantee of a great double roll. Saladin does offer you another option. It might not guarantee success but in order to defeat a more powerful version of Lionheart it might be your best bet, and hope the fallout (if you somehow win) is a price you can pay...

OOC: Ok that seems to win things, although in principle I'm not sure I like it yet I see no other way to win or even come out of this with anything like a happier ending.

Sj
Steeple_jackuk
Steeple_jackuk
Cosmic Level

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Mon Jan 27 2020, 21:10

OOC Right, so hand the reins to Saladin, yeah?
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Steeple_jackuk Mon Jan 27 2020, 21:26

Admin wrote:OOC Right, so hand the reins to Saladin, yeah?

OOC: You know I want to say yes, but I can't on principle. Besides if I died, well that is being a hero, but that would be game over. I might be metagaming, but I'd rather play Lionheart my way and that would mean never betraying my principles. I could die, it would be a first, and bring the game to an abrupt end. But no hero stays dead, but if I did and he was denied a victory then so be it. Sorry mate, I might be being foolish, its certainly not pride. But I can't willingly let out Saladin, that would be like standing by whilst letting Hitler kill millions of Jewish prisoners. No, as Martin Luther King once said, hate can't drive out hate, only light can drive out darkness. I've not got much light, but I'd rather burn bright than go out compromised. I have to fight this my way if Saladin can get with that, rather than die then so be it, but otherwise no way, no how, come what may. Sorry not trying to be difficult, but its the principle of the thing and I'd not want Lionheart to go down that dark hero alley of the '80s and 90's he isn't Wolverine or anything so even if that makes it difficult...

Sj
Steeple_jackuk
Steeple_jackuk
Cosmic Level

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Mon Jan 27 2020, 21:41

OOC No problemo. He's your character, you play him your way and more power to you for sticking to your principles as that is a) roleplaying and b) the right thing to do, even if going down the darker path is the best/only way to win. It would feel like a loss whatever the result.

So attack with martial arts, Superspeed maxed out and hope for a decent roll? You never know, it might just work. However to get through that pesky force field you both have (and his is slightly tougher) you will need to critical blow (hard to hit, reasonable damage) or devastating attack (very hard to hit but you'll really leave a mark if you hit). Hero Points won't make any difference as you roll so many dice already.

I hesitate to give advice in case the dice roll poorly, but I would suggest devastating attack and go from there. If you use Hero points at all do it on your defence to buy extra dice and last ditch defence to soak up damage, then keep hitting with Dev Attack to take him down. Lionheart knows his evil counterpart has the upper hand so will win if the fight drags out by the law of averages. He doesn't need to take any risks, the Good Lionheart does... Over to you.
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Steeple_jackuk Tue Jan 28 2020, 08:28

Admin wrote:OOC No problemo. He's your character, you play him your way and more power to you for sticking to your principles as that is a) roleplaying and b) the right thing to do, even if going down the darker path is the best/only way to win. It would feel like a loss whatever the result.

So attack with martial arts, Superspeed maxed out and hope for a decent roll? You never know, it might just work. However to get through that pesky force field you both have (and his is slightly tougher) you will need to critical blow (hard to hit, reasonable damage) or devastating attack (very hard to hit but you'll really leave a mark if you hit). Hero Points won't make any difference as you roll so many dice already.

I hesitate to give advice in case the dice roll poorly, but I would suggest devastating attack and go from there. If you use Hero points at all do it on your defence to buy extra dice and last ditch defence to soak up damage, then keep hitting with Dev Attack to take him down. Lionheart knows his evil counterpart has the upper hand so will win if the fight drags out by the law of averages. He doesn't need to take any risks, the Good Lionheart does... Over to you.

OOC: OK I've got a desperate plan, kind of one of those last-ditch attempts. So I outline it here and we can see if this is workable. I want to message the Tester and do it so my twin doesn't pick it up. The idea being that Lionheart shows him whatever bargain he has made will not be what he wants. Evilheart will take his ship and most likely kill him. I want instead to lead him to the matter transport device and run through it where it will transport me off-world to our living planet. Then at the last moment, within a nanosecond of time, for his computers to switch the device location to an available black hole or some such, to strand Evilheart for good. Failing that I'll go with what you suggested - Desperate plans away... bounce

Sj
Steeple_jackuk
Steeple_jackuk
Cosmic Level

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Tue Jan 28 2020, 09:36

Lionheart reached out with his mental powers, desperate to avoid being 'noticed' as 'Evilheart' (OOC good name we'll go with that) spoke to him.

Whatever... whoever was in there presented a wall. Lionheart imagined himself stood at the base of a wall an infinite height and length high no matter where he looked. It was... impressive and frightening at the same time. His mental powers were one of his most effective weapons and few had withstood them in his many and varied adventures. This time he'd come up against something that he couldn't blast, influence or probe. Well, he could try, but he knew it was beyond him. The creatures inside this ship were mental giants..

Feeling that another option was closed off to him he turned to go 'face the music' and doubtless thousands of hammer hard blows on his body. This had taken place in the fraction of a heartbeat and he might even now be under attack! it was time to...

"SPEAK."

The New Vanguard! Frostbite and Lionheart Issue #3 - Page 2 Testers

Lionheart gazed up. In front of the wall floated the images of three humanoid heads. he knew they were images, and toyed with the idea of blasting them but he was in THEIR environment here. His powers made him effective but against these...? He was a neophyte. Still, they'd chosen to speak to him. This was his chance. Perhaps his only one!

Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Steeple_jackuk Tue Jan 28 2020, 21:12

Admin wrote:"SPEAK."

Lionheart gazed up. In front of the wall floated the images of three humanoid heads. he knew they were images, and toyed with the idea of blasting them but he was in THEIR environment here. His powers made him effective but against these...? He was a neophyte. Still, they'd chosen to speak to him. This was his chance. Perhaps his only one!

Lionheart chose his words carefully

"Greetings, no doubt you are aware that we all have considerable power, though perhaps your own mental powers humble even ours. The being who you see me engaged with is treacherous and seeks only his own gain. We could not be more opposite if you tried, therefore it is wise for us both that we remove him from this situation. My enemy is your enemy and therefore I propose we work together. For though I hate what you are doing, if this one was to get what he wanted, not even you could stand against the combined might of his gathered forces from across multiple dimensions.

If I can lead him to your dimension gate, and run through in what will look like a vain attempt to lead him away, then he may well follow. I propose you beam me to our 'planet' the living creature we came here on. He will see I plan to regroup, perhaps even gain allies, and will attempt to follow. It is at this point, and timing will be everything, that you can shift the dimension gate to any nearby black hole. It might not kill him, he has considerable powers of survival, but even he will struggle to escape a black hole. We must hurry, for if I delay, he will sense duplicity and may well even now be planning counteraction measures. We must lure him into a trap if we and by that I mean you let alone those who profit from your services, must work together or it will be the end of us all.

You must know this, your own considerable mental powers can well attest to what is going on here. What do you say?"

Sj

Steeple_jackuk
Steeple_jackuk
Cosmic Level

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Wed Jan 29 2020, 12:11

There was a pause and Lionheart prayed he would have enough time to negotiate at the speed of thought when the man ranged against him could move almost as fast!

"We require assurances and DNA samples as we extracted from him. The difference between you and he is that he threatened us and agreed to give a sample only when his part of the bargain had been secured. He wants the man 'FROSTBITE'. For the rest of you he declared no interest only suggesting that while he would not supply his own DNA he would leave something of your body to extract it from. If you promise as a being of honour, here and now, that you will provide DNA samples from not just yourself but ALL of your team that we may study and extrapolate information vital to our clients we will do better than merely helping to trick the being facing you. We work for a coalition of races facing annihilation and cannot delay for red tape and political machinations lest our clients be wiped out. Your choice is simple. Work with us and supply the samples we require and we will help you, or we will simply stand by and see if there is anything left of you to gain information from. We ... 'win' either way, but the true victor may be billions of sentient beings who face extinction in the face of an insidious enemy that even now seeks to find this planet and wipe out our work. Time is running out. In our search and quest to create the ultimate warrior to save our client we have made ourselves a target, and our sources suggest scouts are on their way here now. Hence we have to aggressively defend the work that we do in the limited time we have.Choose."
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Steeple_jackuk Wed Jan 29 2020, 12:24

Admin wrote:There was a pause and Lionheart prayed he would have enough time to negotiate at the speed of thought when the man ranged against him could move almost as fast!

"We require assurances...Choose."

Really it was a no brainer, as regards the situation that these Testers, were working to save and not slaughter other innocent beings threw also a new view into the view that until now all that was going on was as regards money and some cheap deals on the side. Lionheart knew between this and what he and his friends faced, there really was no other option.

"Agreed, you have my word as a being of honour."

Sj
Steeple_jackuk
Steeple_jackuk
Cosmic Level

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Wed Jan 29 2020, 12:51

Evilheart turned. "What...?"

From the roof of the huge spaceship emerged a device on a tripod that could only be described as a 'death ray'.

"I've told you, I will resolve this and..."

It opened fire!

Evilheart was perhaps the most powerful and the fastest foe Lionheart had faced who wasn't a 'Dark Power' (who would dwarf even he in abilities). Nonetheless he didn't expect the 'death ray' to zap Evilheart despite the mans astonishing speed!

OOC That's because Evilheart, while fast, can't escape something that effectively predicts where he is going to be!

Energy Blast 30 + Roll(2d12)+0: 6,11,+0 Total: 47 vs
Evilheart Dex 25  + Crit Blow 4 (29) + Roll(2d12)+0: 4,7,+0 Total: 40

+4 Effect (to 34) vs RV 23 - 6 (Crit Blow, RV to 17) = 17 Damage!

Evilheart is stunned!

Mind 1/14 Damage absorbed 4 points from last ditch defence(10HP cost)

"Quickly!" said the voice in Lionhearts head. "He is too powerful for even our most powerful weapons to subdue in one blast! No other being we have encountered has resisted us so! If he recovers he will enter the ship and slaughter us all! The attack is an illusion so you must attack his mind with all that you have! His body recovers too quickly to subdue!"

Evilheart staggered. Apparently his clothing was in tatters and he stood in a blackened area of soot with smoke steaming off him. "You... you dare!" he spluttered, staggering from the blast. He was stunned momentarily. If he recovered if would be bad for the aliens and FATAL for Lionhearts friends!

Another voice in Lionhearts head spoke up. 'I can do it! Only by handing control to me can you smash through his mental defences!' declared Saladin!

OOC Don't forget to update Steepljacks/Haunts post and I can move that on before I go to work Very Happy
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Steeple_jackuk Thu Jan 30 2020, 09:46

Admin wrote:Another voice in Lionhearts head spoke up. 'I can do it! Only by handing control to me can you smash through his mental defences!' declared Saladin!

OOC Don't forget to update Steepljacks/Haunts post and I can move that on before I go to work Very Happy

OOC: Anyway, as regards Lionheart, go full bore as recommended before. I think you said devastating attack. Failing that then, and only then, do I surrender control to Saladin. But this will be only as my last-ditch attempt as I don't want to be NPC'd. And as per your post go for HP only where can do best, let's end this.

Sj
Steeple_jackuk
Steeple_jackuk
Cosmic Level

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Sun Feb 02 2020, 20:47

OOC Was about to update (and will if you can clarify) do you attack with:

1) Superspeed + Martial arts (giving loads of extra dice) and going for a devastating attack against someone who is FASTER than Lionheart (this would be unlikely to hit) or

2) Mind Blast + Hero Points to buy extra dice. You have 117HP remaining and the cost of extra dice follows. How much you want to spend is up to you. Do you go for devastating attack (hardest to hit, hits hardest) or Critical Blow (easier to hit, does less damage than dev attack but still handy).

The New Vanguard! Frostbite and Lionheart Issue #3 - Page 2 Extra-dice

Your call!
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Steeple_jackuk Sun Feb 02 2020, 20:53

Admin wrote:OOC Was about to update (and will if you can clarify) do you attack with:

1) Superspeed + Martial arts (giving loads of extra dice) and going for a devastating attack against someone who is FASTER than Lionheart (this would be unlikely to hit) or

2) Mind Blast + Hero Points to buy extra dice. You have 117HP remaining and the cost of extra dice follows. How much you want to spend is up to you. Do you go for devastating attack (hardest to hit, hits hardest) or Critical Blow (easier to hit, does less damage than dev attack but still handy).

Your call!

OOC: Mindblast, with extra hp we'll spend 40 to hit, and 40 for damage, 5 die each, got to make it count so might as well go all in. And oh yeah Devastating attack. To be honest if its easier to spend them all then spend them all, this guy I don't get a second chance with. And I think Lionheart's best shot with him will be mind blast.

Sj

Steeple_jackuk
Steeple_jackuk
Cosmic Level

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Sun Feb 02 2020, 21:40

OOC You only spend dice on attack. Damage relies on how well you roll to hit, so to speak.

If you're happy spending 80Hp then 76Hp on acting with mind blast is no problem. That's a lorra HP!

LIONHEART HP 41HP REMAINING

Mind Blast 13 + Roll(10d12)+0: 10,5,5,12,6,7,2,9,4,9,+0 Total: 18 DOUBLE (probably better than a straight up 22) plus Roll(2d12)+0: 5,11,+0 Total:34 + 13 (47) vs
Int 10 + Dev Attack 8 (18) + Roll(2d12)+0: 7,10,+0 Total: 35

+5 EV (to 18) vs RV22 - 12 (Dev Attack) (10) = 8 Damage.

Evilheart can only absorb 6 damage with remaining Hero Points so is dropped! Evilheart is DOWN! But for how long... If he regenerates FASTER than Lionheart...?

Putting everything into the mind blast to the already staggered EvilHeart Lionheart breathes a sigh of relief as his psychic lions maul his evil rival and he gives off a silent scream and falls with a thud flat on his back!

'Our Thanks. He is too powerful to keep down for long. Our illusions can no longer affect him. YOU must kill him, before he rises to destroy us all!' said the Testers voice in Lionhearts mind!
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Steeple_jackuk Mon Feb 03 2020, 20:15

Admin wrote:[color=#0066cc]OOC You only spend dice on attack. Damage relies on how well you roll to hit, so to speak.

'Our Thanks. He is too powerful to keep down for long. Our illusions can no longer affect him. YOU must kill him, before he rises to destroy us all!' said the Testers voice in Lionheart's mind!

Lionheart hadn't thought it possible to channel so much energy into one blast, but now wasn't the time to stop. He turned to the others...[i]"No, I want him somewhere he cannot escape, a black hole or some other means for him to consider his position. Killing him, only draws his comrades and there will be many to come and seize upon us with greater wrath. No this sends a signal, it gives them caution, it says there is another way. Help me in this and I will do all I can to help you with your problem if what you say is true and your fight is indeed a noble one according to recognised law."

He waited wondering what they would do, would they recognise his ethics and values as being inferior to their own, or concede to his help. He didn't feel comfortable acting as judge, jury and executioner to his own twin, evil or otherwise.

OOC: Hoping we can get this done before this one wakes, otherwise or Lionheart will be sunk with no paddle, this has taken everything he had and anything else would be his demise surely?

Sj

Steeple_jackuk
Steeple_jackuk
Cosmic Level

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Mon Feb 03 2020, 20:42

There was a pause then '... We respect your decision. You are the victor and you have rid us of this one.' said a broadcast mental voice.

A hatch opened in the space ship and silver bodied humanoids strode out down a ramp.

'We have only a short time. Our scanners indicate this ones recovery ability has left us heartbeats to dispose of him. Minions! Your sacrifice shall not be in vain!'

Lionheart saw four silver skinned humanoids walk up a ramp with Evilhearts limp body between them. A door opened into the heart of this section of the ship and Lionheart saw a gateway of sorts. It flickered with light and crackled... then... THOOM! He stepped up to the ramp to look closer at what appeared to be a gateway into deep space!

The air suddenly started sucking inwards to the gate and Lionheart held onto the metal frame of the large doorway looking in.

And Evilheart woke up!

SPLUTCH!

He rammed a hand through the chest of a silver man then swung the other hand to completely behead another! Lionheart knew if he tried to stop Evilheart he migh be drawn into deep space! The howl of the wind being sucked into the gateway and deep space beyond. Lionheart tensed himself to charge forward and shove as hard as he could against Evilheart knowing the man was faster and likely to drag him into space with him... Then the remaining two silver men leapt into the void while holding onto Evilhearts legs!

He snarled, turning and flying hard against the drag of space...

Then Lionheart knew he had him!

As Evilheart started - slowly - to fly against the drag of space after pouring all of his energy into flight he suddenly turned and shouted "NO!"

Lionheart flew past at an angle and kicked out with a leg, crashing off and into the ceiling with a CLANG!

OOC Dex 22 + Roll(7d12)+0: 9,12,4,3,8,2,9,+0 Total: 18 DOUBLE plus Roll(2d12)+0: 2,2,+0 Total:4 DOUBLE plus Roll(2d12)+0: 12,11,+0 Total:45 (67) vs
Dex 15 + DEVASTATING ATTACK 8 + Roll(2d12)+0: 9,9,+0 Total:18 DOUBLE plus Roll(2d12)+0: 12,11,+0 Total:41 (64)

(CLOSE!!!!!)

+2 Effect (to str 13) = 15 EV - RV 23 - 12 = 4 damage

Making only a glancing connection Lionheart feared he'd turn to see Evilheart escape and pound on him faster than he could comprehend!

He turned... and the wind stopped howling. The gateway was CLOSED! He lay in the sudden quiet of the transporter room with the dormant gate and got to his feet.

His enemy was gone. For now. Only the Tester knew where he'd been sent, but the menace of Evilheart was gone. For now.

'What now ... hero?' said the Tester in Lionhearts mind.

Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Steeple_jackuk Mon Feb 03 2020, 20:52

Admin wrote:'What now ... hero?' said the Tester in Lionhearts mind.

"Now, we have some people to meet, some changes to make and it's about time you told us your story, who this enemy it is you're testing these people for. And what we can do to help. I think you'll find that fear is not as good a motivator as is devotion to a good cause. But before that, I think I need a breather. Phew not every day you get to win against someone who could beat the living snot out of you and then some."

Sj
Steeple_jackuk
Steeple_jackuk
Cosmic Level

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Tue Feb 04 2020, 20:30

Lionheart stumbled out of the ship... to find a group of beings stood before him!

The New Vanguard! Frostbite and Lionheart Issue #3 - Page 2 Testers

They came up only to his knees, and they looked up as one to him, and when they spoke, they spoke in a quiet though perfectly timed group voice to make it much louder and clearer!

"We are Klaatu*" they said, as one. "We are a race of beings who have incredible mind powers and abilities though our physical bodies are weak. Our spacecraft, behind you, houses thousands of our number who join via the machines with us into one hive mind. Our race, the Klaatu, is an evil force in the universe and we few numbering only several thousand, decided to stop their mission to control or destroy all of the universes' sentient races! Our powers are miniscule compared to that of our homeworld hive mind, but we had a plan. We would take races from planets doomed to be destroyed and genetically alter them to create the perfect warriors able to resist and defeat our former homeworld. The 'Dragon Men' you fought, including Arkraz, were our Apex forces. We did not want to pit them against each other in endless wars but time is short and to save the universe a sacrifice, including our own lives, had to be made!"

"Unfortunately our resources were limited and without wanting to stoop to the level of thieves or warlords we had to somehow pay for upgrades and repairs to our spacecraft so we sold legions of our failed experiments like the Wasp People and Lava Men to various planets to use as shock troops in their wars. Our reasoning was to sell only to planets where wars had raged for eons to break the stalemate. Where we were in error is helping despots who were terrible and evil. In those cases we simply mind wiped them to ensure they would lead good, noble lives, took their payment and improved our vessel to that which you see now."

"The Dragon Men were a race that has enormous potential. Sentient powerful dragons that can shape change and have high resistance to mental powers yet have superb physical strength and speed. We thought them the ultimate warriors to use in a fight against our people, but the cloning process was flawed and their species reproduces only once every 50 of your Earth years. We hoped our technology could help but the machine is... broken. We have no funds to fix it and have only the species you encountered and the Lava Men who reproduce in their thousands every few days. They are... unsuitable to use as warriors  but we had not the heart to wipe them out. They are now spreading across the planet and are even evolving every few generations, weeks in your Earth time. Perhaps they can be a force to use against the Klaatu. Perhaps they will evolve beyond our means to control them. It matters not. We are DYING."

With a sigh the group concluded their tale. "Our spacecraft is not only our home but our means of life support! Our bodies are so weak they can no longer support themselves in harsh environments and only our minds still live, powerful that they are. Soon the power systems of this ship will break down and we will perish. Then no one will continue the work needed to resist the evil of our people and the universe shall surely fall under their sway or be destroyed!"

The image of the Klaatu faded.

Lionheart raced into the ship seemingly running for hundreds of metres down various corridors at superspeed and entered a pair of double doors that opened into a VAST CHAMBER!

He gaped, seeing small life support tubes stacked from floor to ceiling and laid end to end for hundreds of metres. THOUSANDS of Klaatu!

"You have found us, as the 'Evilheart' did and we no longer have the power to resist! Even now the machines are failing and soon... we shall cease to exist! The means of your travel back to Earth is in the gateway you saw in the ship earlier. It took most of our depleting power to send Evilheart away and the last vestiges of power can be used to send you and your friends home."

As Lionheart watched every now and again the lights on a life suspension tube, each several feet long and a foot high, winked out, as life support for the Klaatu inside ceased.

"You must hurry though" said the voice in his head. "Use the power in the gate to get home - we took the image from your companions minds and apologise for the intrusion but we could feel their desperation to return. If you do not use the gate now, we may not have enough power to send you back... and in a short time all the power will be gone anyway!"

OOC Another 20 mins of reading for ya!

*No-Prize for guessing the name of the film where Klaatu comes from!!
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Steeple_jackuk Tue Feb 04 2020, 20:57

Admin wrote:"You must hurry though" said the voice in his head. "Use the power in the gate to get home - we took the image from your companions minds and apologise for the intrusion but we could feel their desperation to return. If you do not use the gate now, we may not have enough power to send you back... and in a short time all the power will be gone anyway!"

OOC Another 20 mins of reading for ya!

*No-Prize for guessing the name of the film where Klaatu comes from!!

OOC: Ha TDTESS the day the earth stood still.

"Wait..." Lionheart was deeply touched and troubled by the Klaatu tale of woe.  "IS there no way to save you, for if hope dies with you it dies for all.  What difference would it make to get home if only for a few more years and then your homeworld wipes us out?  What can be done to stabilise you first?  We have our protoplanet, we use as a vehicle for star travel, can it help or our companions in any way?"

Lionheart wracked his considerable brain wondering if there were a way to jury rig things to keep the creatures life support going.  

OOC: I am wondering the same thing, is this a case of jump now or never, could Wandafar does something?

Sj
Steeple_jackuk
Steeple_jackuk
Cosmic Level

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Tue Feb 04 2020, 21:35

"We can no longer waste energy keeping ourselves alive. You must go while you still can!" pulsed the voice inside Lionhearts head. More lights in pods winked out...

Lionheart sped outside aware that every second counted. He needed to get the team into the gateway and back to Earth unless...

He skidded to a halt beside Frostbite and Wandafar who'd arrived to apply medical aid where his limited skills and experience allowed. Jarna helped him.

Explaining as quickly as he could what had gone on and the current state of play in the heart of the mountain (which was still shrinking as more and more lava men came to life and started to walk away. Eventually the mountain would be gone and the huge spacecraft would be exposed).

It was Jarna who suggested "What about the shuttles power supply? it won't be enough to power a craft as big as you describe but might give enough energy for vital systems and Wandafar can fix what's broken if there's enough time."

"I ken try it but vot about if I fail? Ve vill be stuck here vizout a shuttle und in ze middle of blimmin no vere und zese Klaatu vill still splatter every vun in zer path und ve vill hef accomplished nuthing." said Wandafar in his typical mangled English.

The jury rigged space suit he wore was tied up and bunched in places where it had been bodged to fit his diminutive form. "In fect if zis goes wrong ve vill be stuck on zis plenit. Only Lionheart und maybe Frostbite can survive ze trip into outerspace. Ze rest of us vud burn up at ze speeds needed to escape gravity."

"That doesn't sound good." suggested Firebrand.

Terra Firma (or rather his Earth Elemental which he inhabited) spoke up "We would be in great danger if we tried that."

"We would be dead." muttered Gravitas.

Relfex (Steph), the most useful and loyal of the trainees, turned to Frostbite. "It's your call boss. I can't speak for the others but if you say give the ship to Wandafar I'll accept it and follow your orders. For as long as our air holds out and we die on this planet..."

That was a point. The others had only finite air. Frostbite and Lionheart could last a while but then they'd need to get back to the planetoid... leaving the team to die behind them...

And yet... the offer of the gateway home was enticing. Finally a way back for the fledgling Vanguard team and a relief from being away from home for the last 14 months or so...
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Steeple_jackuk Wed Feb 05 2020, 15:38

Admin wrote:That was a point. The others had only finite air. Frostbite and Lionheart could last a while but then they'd need to get back to the planetoid... leaving the team to die behind them...

And yet... the offer of the gateway home was enticing. Finally a way back for the fledgling Vanguard team and a relief from being away from home for the last 14 months or so...

So many things went through Frostbites mind. But in the end, this was the part that they all had to face. As heroes, if that is indeed what they were there came a point when the easy thing was to walk away. Take care of no1. To end it all there and say, 'Haven't I done enough?'

Frostbite spoke slowly but deliberately, "We could leave, but then what? We have learned a threat so bad, we've seen the lengths these people will go to, in order to stop it. Can we cast aside their sacrifice so quickly when very soon we'd be called upon to make an even greater one? This is a risk, but it's one I am willing to take because if we don't pay today, they'll be hell to pay tomorrow. The way I see it, we get off cheaply this time."

Turning to Wandafar, "Do your best work, if ever we needed you chutzpah, this would be it."

And with that Frostbite started directing the others, calling on all his reserves to help them serve the needs of the people about. Directing Wandafar with the shuttle and Jarna, getting the aliens assembled to help in any way they can.

OOC: Ok so if my heroes who can assemble the aliens and get them who are not attending to their injured to help in whatever way they can. The stakes need to be made clear and their own sufferings put in the context of what is at stake here. Frostbite will assist with that, whilst Lionheart takes Wandafar back to the ship, to start plugging away, and Jarna takes the shuttle to help out. And we see if we can't help the universe out one more time ;-)

Sj
Steeple_jackuk
Steeple_jackuk
Cosmic Level

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Thu Feb 06 2020, 16:43

Steeple_jackuk wrote: if we don't pay today, they'll be hell to pay tomorrow.  The way I see it, we get off cheaply this time."[/i][/color] Sj

OOC That's a great phrase!

Wandafar 'harrumphs' and turns to Jarna. "Ve need ze shuttle und all ze tools out. Get it as close to ze aliens ship as much as ve can, in fact..."

He turns and shouts to the Lava Man who 'spoke' to them with a point to the mountain and a gesture that says 'part' like an ocean.

Amazingly the Lava Man stared, then nodded and turned. Almost instantly the MOUNTAIN started to part like water as it came alive and hundreds of thousands of Lava people ran to the left or the right as directed and started to reveal the hug disc like ship in the heart of the mountain! It still took time and the Vanguardians gasped as they witness a mountain changing into lava and then form into beings who flowed like water away from the site!

Whilst that happened Wandafar strode to the shuttle and started barking orders for any personal effects or non essentials to be stripped from the ship. Minutes later it took off, Wandafar on board and headed towards the now mostly exposed ship which was hundreds of metres across and shone in the sun. The alien warriors of ALL species started to filter away.

Sadly, the wasp people were almost completely wiped out. Many Dragons were dead, their huge forms littering the battlefield and it was more of a case of burying the dead. What the Testers did was wrong, pitting these creatures against each other... but the 'bigger picture' was to save the universe against their own people and it was hard to judge them now as their ship powered down and life support tubes winked out of use. Time was against them.

==========

Hours later Frostbite sat near a fire the others had lit and listened as each Vanguardian had reeled off how long their air supply would last. He and Lionheart had been up into space to refresh their air on the planetoid but the others had only been able to replenish once from the shuttle before it went to be used to fix the ship.

There'd been no news and Wandafar had impatiently sent others away as he and Jarna (assisting) dug into the depths of the ships power plant to hook it up to the shuttle.

Finally he was seen stumbling exhausted from the ship and the team stood. Lionheart had sped to and fro around the planet to deposit various fruits and vegetables for the others to try eating but no one was sure what was edible.

Arkraz the Dragon Man had recovered and sat silently with the group. "I feel we should smash the Testers for what they have put millions of beings through, but to find out they do it to save uncounted BILLIONS perhaps TRILLIONS across the universe puts it into perspective. If they'd have asked us before they started and explained why it was taking place, I think my people would make the sacrifice and do it all over again."

Wandafar walked up. "Vell, now ve see. Ze power supplies are cross feeding und ze ship is trying to revive ze testers. I sink ve can get enough power to save some testers und get ze ship - viz Lionhearts help - into space. Once zer ve push it closer to ze suns und use ze proximity to convert solar energy via ze panels to fully charge ze ship. Under zet mountain it has drained ze batteries over time und ze testers vud not hef lasted much long. I vud call zem idiots but of course under ze mountain of Lava Men ze ship vud be undetectable from space."

"Ve may hef created a trail for others to follow so ze testers need to leave zis planet und leave ze inhabitants to zer fate. Zet ship has areas where we can stay - I hef reconfigured life support from ze shuttle to provide air und living quarters for ze team. It can get us into space und possibly ven charged ve may be able to get on our vay back home once ze gate is charged."

"You mean we'll be going home?" asked Steph/Reflex "After all this time?" Tears filled her eyes.

Wandafar turned and gave a rare smile. "Yes." he replied, simply.

==========

A week later...

Lionheart had used his mighty strength to help raise the huge ship from the ground. It had weighed almost to the limits of his lifting capacity and the flight into space was slow. because it was so heavy no one else could really give any help and the hardest part was juggling escape velocity with the need to lift the ship. (OOC Escape velocity is 15aps, Lionheart has 14APs flight unless he uses his power reserve to boost it - and he was using that to boost his strength. His telekinesis wouldn't make much of a dent on something that weighed over half a million tons!)

In the end it had taken a monumental effort from the hero to 'push' his abilities beyond their limits and the danger was that failure would send the ship crashing to its doom! Juggling the weight with speed of flight to get it to the edge of the atmosphere had been helped immeasurably when the Dragons - those that survived - applied their vast strength to hold it in the sky whilst Lionheart pushed with flight... and they were FREE of the planets gravity with the great ship, making it a far easier process to push towards the suns. Along the way Lionheart ferried the team over to the planetoid and they were able to rest, eat and recuperate.

Now they stood on the planetoid for the final time. Lionheart had imparted the details of what had happened and what was happening to the sentient planet. It had understood in a fashion and freely given edible fruit and food where it could. It would make its way across the universe once more to find what it ultimately hoped for - a mate. Its search had lasted millennia and it would patiently carried its search on till it found one.

=========

The Tester looked forlorn as it stood on unsteady feet using a stick to support itself.

"My regrets and grief know no limit" it spoke through mind to mind contact with Lionheart, Frostbite and the team. "We have failed here but the beings who live on this planet can make their own way from now."

Arkraz stepped forward "WE of the Dragon People, we few who remain, shall remain on this ship. You have not failed. You have advanced our abilities in months what would have taken thousands of years. I cannot say we will fight for you as a people, but i as an individual shall. The cause is just and this ship will need crew."

He glanced at a few Wasp People flitting about and lava people in cinder rock form crunching as they walked. Some Cloud People had come on board but most had stayed on the planet. Their fates would be there to decide for themselves rather than the testers. As for the Testers themselves so few of them remained that they would have to look in the universe for others of their race who would join their cause. Some would. They would face great danger from those who did not, but too few survived the failure of the life support to carry on their work. their combined telekinetic and illusion powers were still powerful but nowhere near on the level they had been previously.

The Tester turned to a panel and levitated several feet off the floor to rotate several touch controls and make some setting changes. "Wandafar has applied his considerable intellect to locating your planet using archives we have purchased from space travellers over the decades we have been resisting the march of our people. We have narrowed it down. Here."

The gateway flashed and a view of Earth from space came up as if the Earth were at a distance that allowed continents to be made out. The Vanguardians gasped and some held hands to their faces as tears flowed. They were going home.

"Ve vill use ze stripped out shuttle viz minimal systems me und Jarna have cobbled together. Lionheart vill fly it beck into ze atmosphere and from zer back to Britain." said Wandafar. he looked at Jarna.

"I'm staying." she declared, drawing gasps from her Vanguardian friends. "This ship needs a pilot, and is bigger than anything I've flown before, but the Testers have made me Captain! Not bad for a humble shuttle pilot!"

Frostbite looked at his team hugging Jarna. This would be the first of the break ups of the team he knew. When they got back to Earth others of the team would leave to go back to family and friends. Others would forsake their powers to try to live a normal life. It would be his job to hold the team together and recruit new members. They may have decided to leave the team and take up their lives where they could but there would always need to be a Vanguard to stand up for the weak, oppressed and against those who would crush freedom beneath its heel.

OOC One more post from you and I'll wrap this episode/adventure!
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Steeple_jackuk Thu Feb 06 2020, 21:53

[quote="Admin"]
Steeple_jackuk wrote: if we don't pay today, they'll be hell to pay tomorrow.  The way I see it, we get off cheaply this time."[/i][/color] Sj

OOC: Get me all lyrical like ;-) even a broken clock is right twice a day haha

Admin wrote:Frostbite looked at his team hugging Jarna. This would be the first of the breakups of the team he knew. When they got back to Earth others of the team would leave to go back to family and friends. Others would forsake their powers to try to live a normal life. It would be his job to hold the team together and recruit new members. They may have decided to leave the team and take up their lives where they could but there would always need to be a Vanguard to stand up for the weak, oppressed and against those who would crush freedom beneath its heel.

Frostbite was used to losing members of his squad, soldiers under his command. People whom you formed tight bonds over the course of intense times where lives were on the line. But the things he had been through in recent years had tested them all and himself as a leader beyond anything the Army had trained him for. He felt this was a family, but like any family, saying goodbye was always hard.

Taking Jarna to one side, after everyone else had said a tearful farewell. He spoke briefly it wasn't like him to do more than he needed.

"I find it hard to believe that without your sacrifices and skills we'd have been here today. You gave up so much, and I can't thank you enough for that. I don't know what spectacular sites you'll witness, but know that even in a universe this big, it seems it's not as big, black and cold as it once was. Keep us on speed dial, you were there for us, we'll be there for you."

Lionheart on the other hand, had no natural family, had no natural instincts having been grown in a vat. But somehow this ragamuffin band of misfits fitted the designation of the family for him so well, even he found it hard not to feel a little chocked. When Jarna had returned to the group, she saw him looking a bit awkward which in itself was hard to imagine. But having caught his eye, he came over, gave her a big hug. And to the surprise of all, when he let go, she was aware that they were floating higher and higher. Lionheart said, "for the Pilot with a new ship, a flight without a ship to take as a gift from me." And with that he flipped her over, and flew her around the fast ship he had helped launch into space. Before long, they were back both laughing.

And with a gentle nod, he let her go, as he and the others prepared to finally go back home...

Frostbite turned to the other Tester, "If we can be of assistance now or in the future, please contact us. We would be honoured to assist in whatever way we can. Thank you for bravery this Galaxy owes you a debt for standing up to your people and fighting for countless numbers who'll never be able to say thank you, as we have. God speed."

And with that, he motioned the team onto the shuttle and assisted getting everyone ready to go.

Sj
Steeple_jackuk
Steeple_jackuk
Cosmic Level

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Sun Feb 09 2020, 11:46

The Tester in charge of the few that remained nodded. "Our powers are diminished because our numbers have plummeted. We have lost many of our number who felt and thought that our kind were evil when unchecked. Now our mission is to spread the word and get more of our people to forsake evil and join our mission to save the galaxy from the evil of the Klaatu race."

He hesitated then produced a small glass globe from his robes. "My people use these to contact others of our race bypassing space and time to speak thought to thought. if I give this to you..." he said to Lionheart "You can attune to it telepathically and we can converse wherever we are in the omniverse. I shall ... warn ... you if the Klaatu seek to invade your area of the universe." He passed it to Lionheart

OOC Lionheart now has a MIND SPHERE which can speak to the Tester when used by a Telepath of sufficient power and will.

The team climbed into the shuttle which had been pretty much welded up to seal it. Aside from basic environmental systems and minimal protection from the rigours of re-entry it was no longer a shuttle, unable to fly under its own power. "Godspeed." said Jarna, running a hand over the shuttles skin. She wiped a tear away and stepped back as Lionheart hefted the shuttle easily with all the team aboard. With a half salute to the Tester and Jarna, Arkraz and several Wasp People beside them, he turned and flew towards the portal which swallowed the shuttle and FLASHED with light...

...And Earth beckoned! Despite that it was thousands of miles away it looked huge and Lionheart could barely stifle a grin as he flew the shuttle towards their home. They'd rescued their team, smashed an evil interstellar empire, ruined their plans to infiltrate and invade their Earth and along the way had changed the path of the a number of species on a battle planet.

Their adventures had seen them away from Earth for over a year. Surely not much had changed since then?

Lionheart flew towards the planet with the shuttle and then paused.

Two beings appeared in front of him! A man and a woman. Both were dressed in costumes (OOC I'll cook something up, don't think I ever put an image up of these two...) and made no threatening moves. Indeed, they seemed curious!

The woman projected a thought into Lionhearts head 'Do you need assistance?'. Lionheart recognised Silver Sentinel and Thunder Woman.

They were two of the ULTRAHUMANS, the most powerful super hero group on planet Earth!

Lionheart detected no danger from these two. Thunder Woman turned to Silver Sentinel and Lionheart felt another mind link up. 'I'm Silver Sentinel. You are.... Lionheart? You've long been on our watch list. I'm glad we found you. To put it bluntly, the Earth has been partially overrun by Aliens and we need your help to free it! Drop your friends off at their home in England and make your way back up here, please. There... Cut the cloak.' he said.

Lionheart turned and looked... What...?

A shimmering field started to peel away from a huge spaceship that sat in orbit of Earth!

It must have been nearly half a mile long and almost as wide...

The New Vanguard! Frostbite and Lionheart Issue #3 - Page 2 Ultrahumans-space-ship

"We were away when the Aliens came to Earth and 'saved' cities from the giant monster outbreaks. We failed the planet and the people on it by not being here..."

"...we were helping end an eons long interplanetary war on the other side of the ..." said Thunder Woman

"No, we should have done something!" argued Silver Sentinel. "Regardless, we came back and the world was mostly in thrall of the Aliens. Russia, China, most of Europe, much of Africa, all of South America... Only Britain, America and a few other countries stand alone. The Aliens are planning something. We need to recruit the most powerful superheroes in the world for the coming war! Only the BEST, and MOST POWERFUL will be invited, and you are on the list Lionheart..."

"Planet Earth needs you." said Thunder Woman.

"Will you answer the call?" added Silver Sentinel.

OOC TO BE CONTINUED in the next issue!
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next