The Vanguard Play by Post Roleplaying Game
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

THE NEW VANGUARD! HAUNT Issue #8

3 posters

Page 2 of 8 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Go down

THE NEW VANGUARD! HAUNT Issue #8 - Page 2 Empty Re: THE NEW VANGUARD! HAUNT Issue #8

Post  DavidMcMahon Sun Dec 15 2019, 04:33

gotcha. While we wait what level of regen do I need to start regenerating within 30 seconds or so? I was trying not to be too obvious I had superpowers for most of the fight which is why I didn't take that power or the others, other than using Stretching to absorb damage.
DavidMcMahon
DavidMcMahon
Cosmic Level

Back to top Go down

THE NEW VANGUARD! HAUNT Issue #8 - Page 2 Empty Re: THE NEW VANGUARD! HAUNT Issue #8

Post  Admin Tue Dec 17 2019, 08:21

OOC Stretching is overrated (though useful for falls and stuff you can prepare for) in a fight. Takes away your Acting (attack) action. Dropping out of a plane or resisting an attack you can see coming if useful though.

Regeneration 8 is what you are after. You'd have to be damage free for 30 seconds to get a chance at healing.
Admin
Admin
Admin

https://darkeningshadows.darkbb.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Tue Dec 17 2019, 08:41

Rush turns.

A sound like a CLANG!!!! rang out drawing the attention of everyone, then a man in a blue costume with a blond ponytail (OOC still there with Steep in his forties, Dave E? How's your art skills? Want to update the old trooper or leave as is?) leapt lightly over a parked car to land in the midst of the fight. The gas canister having gone off obscured what happened a moment before but Rush's instincts suggested this man was not his enemy, the way he lined up alongside the scarred man against the remaining two troopers.

"Control! We have a situation. Possible super or supers! Advise!" hissed a trooper into a microphone. "Mission is a bust, repeat, bust."

Both troopers aimed their machine guns, one at each hero, but it was clear they wanted to withdraw. Behind, the other trooper was opening a van and manhandling the prone leader into the back.

"Support and cleanup required! Urgent!" said the other Trooper. "Don't do anything stupid fellas." the Trooper growled at the two heroes. "You have no idea of the length of our reach. We'll give you this day, but there'll be others. Just go."

The gas clearly wasn't having any effect on Rush or Steeplejack (who is simply staying away from it).

OOC Steeplejack and Haunt - you can attack or let them go. Your call.
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Steeple_jackuk Tue Dec 17 2019, 18:27

Admin wrote:OOC Steeplejack and Haunt - you can attack or let them go. Your call.

Steeplejack wasn't going to wait for the one these soldiers were fighting against and frankly he didn't like the tone of their threats either.

"Uh Oh, you're going to rue the day you messed with us...speech, you guys really ought to get some better dialogue, especially now. We're in the new millennium for goodness sake."

OOC:ok if need be ill erect an earth force wall in front of them as they fire. Then leap over to get them from behind. If I can get the jump on them beforehand, I'll leap over and knock heads together. I want them still able to talk after this little dance. To many players, not enough answers... However, I am happy to coordinate with Dave/Rush however you want to play it, my friend.

Sj
Steeple_jackuk
Steeple_jackuk
Cosmic Level

Back to top Go down

Post  DavidMcMahon Tue Dec 17 2019, 22:31

"Yes! A HERO has come to save me," Rush King, famous actor yelled out, pointing dramatically to the new player in the battle [ooc: Charisma maybe to distract the men?]. He then moved up to the closest bandit and attempted to punch him.
DavidMcMahon
DavidMcMahon
Cosmic Level

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Wed Dec 18 2019, 07:24

Steeplejack popped an earth wall up between themselves and the troopers. Then he leapt over the wall and the troopers and delivered a kick to one of them!

Haunt sprinted around the wall to deliver a jarring shot to the other one!

OOC Initiative Roll(3d12)+0:
6 Steeplejack (37),1 Haunt (27),3 Trooper (22),+0
Total:10

Steeplejack goes first. Auto action (force wall) movement (to jump over the troopers) and attack.

Steeplejack Dex 11 + Roll(5d12)+0: 6,3,2,11,4,+0 Total:17 + 11 (28) vs
Trooper Dex 7 + Roll(2d12)+0: 7,12,+0 Total: 26

Success +2 EV (to 11) vs RV 7 = 4 damage

Haunt Dex 10 + Roll(2d12)+0: 12,6,+0 Total: 28 vs
Trooper Dex 7 + Roll(2d12)+0: 6,2,+0 Total:15

Success +5 EV (to 16) vs RV 7 = 9 damage. Trooper is DOWN!

The Trooper Rush King punches slams into the wall of earth erected by Steeplejack! He slides down, unconscious.

The other one staggers and snarls, raising his machine gun to blast at Steeplejack!

OOC Trooper Dex 7 + weaponry skill Roll(5d12)+0: 4,12,10,10,3,+0 Total: 20 DOUBLE plus Roll(2d12)+0: 6,8,+0 Total: 34 +7 (41) vs
Steeplejack Dex 11 + Roll(2d12)+0: 7,10,+0 Total:28

HIT +5 EV (to 11 EV) - RV 9 (-3 RV armour piercing effect) = 5 damage to Steeplejack (he's on 4 Body remaining)

Steeplejack grunts as the machine gun sprays bullets at him! A number have struck and flattened against his superhuman dense body, and he'd have some bruising, if only for a few minutes before the wound healed.

"I told you!" snarled the Trooper. "Now back off and no one else needs to get hurt! Base! I need extraction! Now! Now! Now!" he spat, with nose and mouth freely running with blood!

A van screeches off somewhere behind the battle.

OOC You're up.

Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Steeple_jackuk Wed Dec 18 2019, 08:32

Admin wrote:Steeplejack

A van screeches off somewhere behind the battle.

OOC You're up.

"You shouldn't have done that, how am I going to explain the gunpowder residue to the nice policeman when they come to get you?"

Steeplejack said, beginning to wonder if age was catching up with him finally.

OOC:Straight up bop to the jaw, seeking to knock him out, not knock his block off. Hopefully, Sj can make a good show of it and then see what evidence he and his 'companion' might find out about these guys before the cavalry show-up.

Sj
Steeple_jackuk
Steeple_jackuk
Cosmic Level

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Wed Dec 18 2019, 14:01

OOC Initiative

Roll(3d12)+0:
5 Steeplejack (36)
9 Haunt (35)
7 Troopers (26)

Steeplejack delivers a short chopping blow to the trooper... Dex 11 + Roll(5d12)+0: 10,12,10,10,12,+0 Total: 24 DOUBLE (crikey!) plus Roll(2d12)+0: 4,7,+0 Total:35 rolled + 11 (46) vs
Trooper Dex 7 + Roll(2d12)+0: 6,3,+0 Total:16

+8 EV (to 17) vs RV 7 = 10 damage. The fight is over, last trooper downed.

Bang!

Oops. He'd be out for a while. The other unconscious troopers might wake up sooner.

The battle ended when Steeplejack delivered a jarring blow to the remaining trooper. They had three.. four of the downed troopers lying about in the street with their weapons and gear.

Lights from a car illuminated the scene as Rush and Steeplejack considered their next move and the rear window of an expensive Bentley wound down. An aged man spoke in perfect queens English. "Ah. My contacts advised me of enquiries to my whereabouts and I made my way here as quickly as possible. I see someone else beside yourselves has been enquiring about me. Steeplejack I know. It's good to see you again after so long my boy. You, on the other, hand, are unfamiliar to me sir. I am Edward D'Veere. Can I offer you gentleman a ride while we discuss what it is everyone seems to want with me?" He glanced out of the window. "Don't worry about these people. I still have enough pull that this will be hushed up and these gentlemen questioned about why they want me. Well?"
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  DavidMcMahon Wed Dec 18 2019, 14:37

"Rush King, American actor working here in England," Rush said as he switched his power over to regeneration in order to heal up. "I was actually trying to get in touch with you in hopes you could get me in touch with Steeplejack here. But let's take this off the street, shall we?"

He moves to the car and gets in.
DavidMcMahon
DavidMcMahon
Cosmic Level

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Wed Dec 18 2019, 14:55

D'Veere raises an eyebrow. The car is large enough to swallow all three in the back with secure glass sealing it off from the front.

"An Actor? Curiouser and curiouser. I'm sure there's more to your story than that." he says as he looks Rush in the eye. The mans steely gaze reflected shrewd wisdom and keen instincts. Rush was cool enough to not give anything away but he got the strongest feeling that this man could see through lies...

He turned to Steeplejack "And what brings you out of retirement? I've kept an eye on all of the Executive since are unfortunate disbanding. Wandafar in particular keeps some interesting company these days."
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Steeple_jackuk Wed Dec 18 2019, 20:34

Admin wrote:Lights from a car illuminated the scene as Rush and Steeplejack considered their next move and the rear window of an expensive Bentley wound down. An aged man  spoke in perfect queens English. "Ah. My contacts advised me of enquiries to my whereabouts and I made my way here as quickly as possible. I see someone else beside yourselves has been enquiring about me. Steeplejack I know. It's good to see you again after so long my boy. You, on the other, hand, are unfamiliar to me sir. I am Edward D'Veere. Can I offer you gentleman a ride while we discuss what it is everyone seems to want with me?" He glanced out of the window. "Don't worry about these people. I still have enough pull that this will be hushed up and these gentlemen questioned about why they want me. Well?"

"Well, well D'Veere its been a while, don't mind if I do."  Steeplejack said, getting in through the door that stood open.  Briefly, he turned back to the mysterious 'victim' of the attack.  "Not sure why you got targetted my friend, but right now I'd suggest this is as good an offer as your likely to get tonight." Then not waiting any longer Steeplejack sat down and made himself comfortable and taking a water bottle form the mini cabinet to one side of the luxury vehicle.  

OOC: Ok so a couple of things I want to make sure of, first who are these guys - if D'Veere knows?  And they went on about having resources, a long reach etc, so is that just talk or was there more and who, if he knows, might they be?  Then, on the other hand, is the mysterious character Jack has run into and unexpectedly helped.  Suddenly everyone and his mate is interested in D'Veere after years of seemingly living the quiet life, so what is that all about?

Sj
Steeple_jackuk
Steeple_jackuk
Cosmic Level

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Thu Dec 19 2019, 10:28

D'Veere settles back as the car moves smoothly off.

Too smoothly.

"Stealth mode activated. Anti grav drive online. Please buckle seat belts there may be slight turbulance." said an automated female voice.

"It was turning out to be a boring evening anyway. Some do hosted for a charity when anyone with a brain can see its a tax dodge for billionaires. " he quipped. "Oh, the homeless do get some benefit but really its a hidey hole for extra profits for greedy social climbers." he added with a sigh. "Plan is usually to infiltrate it and release details anonymously to the press."

The car lifted twenty, forty, sixty feet into the air then *really* took off. "Had this designed back in the day. Battery technology wasn't up to much fifteen years ago, well, not up to driving an anti grave drive anyway. Not good enough for mass production yet, range is too short, but great for beating traffic. At night. A two and a half ton flying car in the day would attract too many cameraphones." he smiled.

"Steeplejack. In my time as minister I attracted a lot of the wrong kind of attention. My remit was to recruit, train and release with the remit of protecting the lands of the United Kingdom a certain kind of person. Super Humans. The Executive was a short cut, a means of taking tried and tested ready made heroes, sticking on a badge saying 'Approved by HM government' and pointing at the most high profile bad guys. There are people opposed to powers or the people who wield them. They have a long reach, plenty of money and a blinkered mentality. The Children of Gaia are one such organisation. I expect those people who were waiting for me to turn up at that club to be working for them or another nut job organisation. They've infiltrated everywhere and had a hand in the banning of superhumans a few years ago. The Adjutant framing, that led to the Civil War?* They, amongst others, had a hand in that. Really shook things up and the children I protect were basically held prisoner on the grounds of one of my mansions in a lap of luxury whilst they trained and trained in their powers, for their own safety." he sighed.

"The danger is ever present. The Children of Gaia are a 'humanity first' organisation, but they'll do anything to further their aims." he adds. "I've been living with a target on my back for years."

D'Veere takes a sip of tea. "That's the story behind those people. I'm grateful that you, and our Actor friend here, came to my rescue. Actually the 'D'Veere' in that club is a lifelike android decoy, or LAD. I speak and see through it, along with a few others, and get some of my proteges to follow the leads that get generated. I was intrigued enough to check this out when YOU turned up Steeplejack. What brings you out of retirement and to our Actor friend, what is your interest?"

*When the VANGUARD game started, in 2009...
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Steeple_jackuk Thu Dec 19 2019, 17:12

Admin wrote:I was intrigued enough to check this out when YOU turned up Steeplejack. What brings you out of retirement and to our Actor friend, what is your interest?"

*When the VANGUARD game started, in 2009...

"To be fair we know each other, neither of us have yet been introduced to our able friend here. So perhaps I ought to wait and give the floor to him?" Steeplejack added with a questioning and curious air about him. He was curious, the man clearly wasn't just a man, but a meta but the question was, was he a hero or villain? Although D'Veere had shown uncommon curtesy and allowed him access, they were none the wiser to who it was they were dealing with.

OOC: This is your show Dave, so I'll follow your lead and happily chip in as needed. Just glad to be along for the ride, no pun intended Cool

Sj
Steeple_jackuk
Steeple_jackuk
Cosmic Level

Back to top Go down

Post  DavidMcMahon Thu Dec 19 2019, 21:27

Rush frowned and prepared for the role of a lifetime. {Acting and Charisma going into this}

"I assume you gentlemen know something of a do-gooder called the Haunt, who claims to be a spirit of an American Old West bandit, who was hanged, sent into the Afterlife and was given a chance to redeem himself by returning to Earth more than a century later as a Force for Justice? He was involved in the Battle for London last year and then tried to warn us of the invasion of the aliens that now live on Earth? Then nothing was heard from him, or at least I've not seen him in the news lately."

"Well … his spirit has been … um … well, haunting me," Rush continues looking a bit sheepish at stating that fact. "Or at least a future version of his spirit, a spirit of a spirit so to speak, has."

"He tells me our alien "friends", who are here to fix all our problems with absolutely no strings attached and want nothing from us in return, have come up with a time machine and are going into our past to change our current "present" to make it easier for them to rule … er … help us have a utopian society with them overseeing it for us. And that Steeplejack is needed to join up with the "present" Haunt and go into the past after them and stop them somehow or else what we know of Earth will vanish and mostly likely everyone of us who oppose them."

"So future Haunt told me to find Steeplejack and to try using D'Veere to do so if I couldn't find him by using my regular resources. Which is what I've tried to do and somehow it seems to have worked."

"Now I shall sit back and allow you to call me all sorts of madman or crackpot. And no, I do not know how the two heroes are to get into the past or figure out where in the past that they need to go."

ooc: going to stick a brief history of Rush King, Actor Extraordinaire in the Chat about the Game section. He is an actor that is getting known but he is no Tom Cruise in the acting fame world. Razz
DavidMcMahon
DavidMcMahon
Cosmic Level

Back to top Go down

Post  Steeple_jackuk Fri Dec 20 2019, 19:29

DavidMcMahon wrote:ooc:  going to stick a brief history of Rush King, Actor Extraordinaire in the Chat about the Game section.  He is an actor that is getting known but he is no Tom Cruise in the acting fame world.   Razz

Steeplejack looked somewhat disgusted and added,
"Time travel, Aliens, just for once I'd like some homegrown problems, some down to earth baddies you punch into prison and have done with."

Steeplejack clearly had history, and though he had no idea if what, to anyone else might sound far fetched, he took in without questioning the details!

"so you didn't overhear a monologue with the villain, or these aliens spouting off how they were going to rule over us all. No special dohiky that we can steal, reprogramme or if the worst comes to the worst, blow up!" He said sound ever so slightly hopeful.

He turned back to D'Veere with a questioning look...

OOC: ok since I've read the back story, and I imagine unless there is a press blackout, clearly as with Islamic countries or Communist China news has a way of getting out. And Sj may well have come into contact with both aliens and time travel...heck this maybe why a part of him from his past knows about time travel now...Anyway, I guess I'm open to suggestions, is there a time machines begging to be used, or and do we know which time to go back to and where?

Sj
Steeple_jackuk
Steeple_jackuk
Cosmic Level

Back to top Go down

Post  DavidMcMahon Mon Dec 23 2019, 13:27

Rush looks over at D'Veere too.

Have a great Christmas everyone! santa
DavidMcMahon
DavidMcMahon
Cosmic Level

Back to top Go down

Post  Steeple_jackuk Mon Dec 23 2019, 13:37

DavidMcMahon wrote:Rush looks over at D'Veere too.

Have a great Christmas everyone!   santa
OOC: And to you also Dave, Every Blessing for this coming New Year.

Sj
Steeple_jackuk
Steeple_jackuk
Cosmic Level

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Fri Dec 27 2019, 00:52

OOC Hope you both had a great xmas! santa rendeer I should be in bed right now for a 3.17am start for work but my sleep patterns are messed up and will be for a day or two. So here I am! ready n raring to go! When I should be sleeping scratch

D'Veere was a shrewd operator. Rush knew that while he could be convincing and charismatic this man had seen it all and done it where superhumans were concerned. Before the Executive was formed he was an expert in the subject with 'fingers in many pies'. Thankfully he kept his suspicions and thoughts to himself.

"Sounds like an end of the world thing. I've faced a few of those and sent brave people out to fix it." he muttered. "Some didn't return."

After a moments pause he continued. "The Aliens came after London and other major cities had been devastated, and their defending heroes... and villains, to be fair... were wounded or in some cases killed trying to fight them. It wouldn't surprise me if the Aliens were behind the whole thing. They are better organised and have a grander plan than some of the alien invasions I've seen before. One I had dealings in, among many, involved an Alien Princess, of all things. Quite a while back but we keep watching the skies.*"

He took a sip of tea as the 'car' smoothly flew through the night sky, some hundreds of feet off the ground. It might look like a Bentley but that was for show, apparently. "Some aliens are beneficial. I know many who have settled and made the Earth their own. Others, like those who call themselves 'Advent' and appear to help 'rebuild' the nations that align themselves, have ulterior motives, I suspect. HM Government is still waiting for the dust to settle from the Alien monstrosity  that smashed London last year. The casualties and the damage to property were catastrophic, no two ways about it. Cuts to the armed forces now the loss of many superhumans has left us in a perilous situation. America has turned in on itself, protecting its own interests and borders first, so we're effectively on our own. Europe has for the most part sided with Advent. They had little choice it seemed. Without the plethora of superhumans many other countries had they had little way to fight off the Aliens advances, and besides, they seemed to appear in the 'nick of time' with a helping hand. Convenient? I think not." he scowled.

"Now time travel. They can't beat the countries that didn't side with them without tipping their hand - that of conquerors. If they could smash us they would have done it. No, this is a far subtler, more effective way. Somehow they've managed to fix the two problems of Time Travel. Paradox, where changing something, no matter how unlikely, achieves a specific goal, and effecting this timeline. That is the most worrying thing. Every time .. pardon the expression... the timeline is altered, a new diverging line is created. Infinite realities, separate and distinct from the other because of a certain event. The dimension of time is so hard for our minds to fathom because we are mortal, and secondly because the physics around it make our heads spin."

Silence again, then he added. "As usual with this sort of thing, all seems lost for a while. However, we are not without influence and contacts, even in this new, grittier, darker age in which we live. I don't suppose either of you have heard of 'The Stalwart Brotherhood of Justice'? No I suppose not. Before your... times. Before mine if I'm honest. It was a group of Victorian era superhumans who secretly used their powers to solve problems that the people of the British Empire didn't want to know about. Super problems. One of the people in that group that served 'Her Britannic Majesty Victoria' was a man named 'Professor Thoth**'."

"He's still about. Sort of. A time traveller. A magical time traveller. if there's one thing that mangles the mind more than time travel... it's magic." he added with a grimace.

"He and I parted on... improper terms. Whilst Thoth doesn't hold grudges he is also the type to file a part of his life away and get on with the rest of it without any reference or interest in his former life. The last time I heard... one of his ... incarnations was living at ..."

THE NEW VANGUARD! HAUNT Issue #8 - Page 2 Thoths-place

OOC average cost of house on that street added for wow factor...

"Here." The car gently landed and drove around a corner. The various Rolls Royces, Bentleys, expensive Italian sportscars and the like were matched by an equal number of top of the range electric vehicles. Even the well to do had one eye on the environment these days it seemed, if only to satisfy the nosy eyes of the press.

"Number thirteen. Unlucky for some." D' Veere said. "I would suggest you politely see if the master of the house is in and go from there. Steeplejack you had limited experience with Thoth if I recall. He had ... 'other matters' to attend to in various other timelines. The man hopped from point to point in his own life with very little notice and proved a great annoyance to myself and others. The Executive leader, British Bulldog, always claimed that Thoth was his own man and free to go where he chose. I prefer a team I assemble and send out to be complete rather than missing one of their heaviest hitters. Enough said. I have places to be and people to contact. Some of those may be able to help with your... our current predicament." he pressed a panel on the leather armrest and it popped open. A pair of coins were on display. They were larger than usual and would not fit into the 'legal tender' category despite having the Queens head on. On the other side was a symbol. Steeplejack recognised it. The Executive. "Carry the coins. So long as they are within several metres of you any electronic device you carry should be able to reach me. Just dial 99999. Let me know how you get on with Thoth. I'll contact you tomorrow." The door popped open and the street beckoned, along with the expensive houses. "Mr King. I appreciate that you are a capable and intelligent man, but this sort of work is more suited to... costumed types. Steeplejack, always a pleasure young man."

The car smoothly wafted off and the pair stood at the foot of a short stairway leading up to number 13 Grosvenor Crescent.

*D'Veere is referring to the 'Starfall' scenario in the Golden Heroes Supervisor book...
** From way back when, in 2002 at the start of the Executive play by post game...
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Steeple_jackuk Fri Dec 27 2019, 13:31

Admin wrote:OOC Hope you both had a great xmas! santa rendeer I should be in bed right now for a 3.17am start for work but my sleep patterns are messed up and will be for a day or two. So here I am! ready n raring to go! When I should be sleeping scratch

OOC: Great thanks going to be away for a few days after this, will be able to read, unlikely to post though, back on Monday.

The car smoothly wafted off and the pair stood at the foot of a short stairway leading up to number 13 Grosvenor Crescent.

*D'Veere is referring to the 'Starfall' scenario in the Golden Heroes Supervisor book...
** From way back when, in 2002 at the start of the Executive play by post game...
OOC: Wow that is a blast from the past. Haven't been able to look over the Executive files yet, but Thoth, vaguely remember him...nice one pulling him in.

Steeplejack nodded toward the building, "Thoth is ok, well as ok as anyone would be with the things he's seen and experienced. A tad...eccentric I guess. But listen, this is your show, so you know more about what is going on than me. I'll happily make the introductions but from there I'll hand over to you."

Steeplejack rounded on King, speaking with a deliberate air and a steely look in even through his masks semi-opaque lenses "You handled yourself ok before, you're clearly one of us, with or without a "uniform" but I warn you now time travel isn't for everyone and Thoth is living proof of that. This is it "Alice into the hole and no going back. I just think you ought to know. London was getting to...close these last days, I'm looking forward to a change of pace."

OOC: Assume some sort of response...

Steeplejack moved quickly to no 13 and taking in the front entrance he moved to press the doors bell and see who was home.

Sj

Steeple_jackuk
Steeple_jackuk
Cosmic Level

Back to top Go down

Post  DavidMcMahon Fri Dec 27 2019, 21:47

"I think I've done it before," Rush admits, running the scars on his face, "though those could have just been some really weird nightmares and not real at all. Let's go on in and maybe future Haunt that has been haunting me will show up and give us some more hints to go on."
DavidMcMahon
DavidMcMahon
Cosmic Level

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Sat Dec 28 2019, 18:38

The street was quiet and the pair stood for a moment before the door opened.

A young woman dressed in a robe tied at the waist with an ornamental belt answered the door. Her colouring suggested North African, probably Moroccan or Egyptian heritage. She glanced at Rush King then turned to Steeplejack. Before the hero could speak she stepped back and to the side. "My master said you would come." she said in an accented voice.

With no sense of danger Steeplejack felt assured in directing Rush first into a wide oak panelled corridor/hallway. Aside from stairs leading up there were doors to the left and the right. It smelt of well polished oak, age, and money. Professor Thoth had clearly done 'alright' for himself in the years since the Executive disbanded.

The young woman walked down the corridor to a door on the left and opened it, standing to the side and gesturing for the pair to enter. Again, no sense of danger for Steeplejack. He wouldn't have called himself and Professor Thoth to be friends but they were both on the same side and former team mates, thus a sense of professional courtesy would be awarded.

The room beyond was a drawing room. The walls were adorned with books from floor to ceiling, a large oak desk was by a window and around a huge fireplace were arranged sumptuous dark green leather sofas. On the table were cups, saucers and a teapot. Two cups were already out and filled. The guests glanced at the cups and seated themselves appropriately - it appeared their host not only knew their favourite drinks but had arranged them ready for their visit...

The young woman bowed her head in respect for a moment then announced "The Master of the house will be here presently."

Indeed he was. Only moments after she'd left the door opened again and a man of difficult to determine age - somewhere in his late forties to almost sixty - entered. He was dressed in a dinner suit, complete with black tie. A handsome fellow, and his tanned skin contrasted with a number of gold rings on his fingers. "Pardon me gentlemen. I'm currently attending a dinner party. In 1937. I can't tarry here long. I'm ... Professor Thoth in this timeline. I've gone by other names in other times, but that will do. Steeplejack I know. It's been a while. You look well. You sir, I don't ... oh. I do know. We've met. But not yet."

Rush and Steeplejack caught a glimpse as the door to the drawing room closed of a busy ballroom with a number of tables with period dressed people at them including several military types. Probably German Nazi military types.

He smiled tightly, reflecting his stressed nature at the moment. "Hitler sent envoys into Egypt to discuss archaeological digs and offered lucrative financial compensation to the locals to look the other way. They are after ancient 'trinkets' that in and of themselves are not much use to a buffoon like Der Fuhrer, but he recently aligned himself with some gentlemen who know how to unlock their ancient power. If he gets them, it could cause... bother."

He pulled a pocket watch out, glanced at it, then grimaced. "The aliens have aligned with dark magic types and sent agents into the past. D'Veere has told me you need help going back into the past to stop them, and asked me to reconsider after I tell you I can't help in... 11 seconds. Or rather he will, when he rings me tomorrow. Despite my thoughts about that man I've had a day to reconsider and I can offer you this: Find a man named Roberto Cortez. Last I checked he was in the governments top secret doesn't exist jail that ... oh. You and a friend infiltrated last year?" he asked of Rush. Thoth frowned again, checking the time. "Have to go. Cortez had associates when he operated under the name 'El Chupacabra' which is a long winded bad guy name for someone who turns into a winged four foot tall heavily muscled vampire like creature. Oddball, but he can drain life force and he's much stronger than he looks. He has something his grandmother gave him. 'piedra del tiempo'. Time stone. You'll need two. Get them and come back here and I can help you. I'll look into the location of another stone."

OOC He turns to leave, reaching for the door. If you want to speak to the enigmatic sorcerer, now's your chance!
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  DavidMcMahon Sun Dec 29 2019, 09:12

"I'm sorry, Professor, but my mind is a bit fuzzy on the details of a year ago. I was "Tortur..." ... er ... "feted" by our "alien overlo..." ... er ... "Alien Benefactors" ... extensively," Rush says, rubbing again the scars on his face. "Wasn't that maximum security jail destroyed in the London attack? Do you have an idea where to look for this El Chupacabra? And what does this Time Stone look like? A pebble? Something he wears around his neck? Used as a paperweight? Or something else? What color is it and it's shape? All information will help, thanks."
DavidMcMahon
DavidMcMahon
Cosmic Level

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Mon Dec 30 2019, 03:27

Thoth looked down at his pocket watch and muttered "Time to go. Time travel is more bother than its worth, and the magic required..."

He looked up at Rush then shook his head. "Sorry I can't help you. I have to go. Talk to D'Veere. The man - annoyingly - has most of the answers you need. Or one of the other Executive. Toni... Iron Lady. She has contacts. I bid you farewell." It had been approximately 11 seconds since Thoth last spoke.

He took the handle of the door, turned it and opened up. Beyond, period music played in the large smoky ballroom and people milled about. Thoth stepped through and the door clicked behind. A moment later it opened and the young apprentice girl stepped in from the corridor. "My master bid to give you this."

She handed over a book with a page bookmarked. The two heroes glanced at it.

THE NEW VANGUARD! HAUNT Issue #8 - Page 2 Aztec-time-stone

So if Cortez had one, who might have another? Where would one obtain information of antiquities and ancient objects of art.

As for Cortez, as a superhuman criminal he clearly needed watching and guarding 24/7, so he would be held... somewhere. The mention of Iron Lady.. Antoinette Kidney was a member of the House of Lords. Also known (to a handful of people) as the former superheroine known as Iron Lady. That was a long time ago and Steeplejack had been a newer member of the team so hadn't known her too well.

Still, it was a lead.

"My master said you have to go now." said the apprentice. "The house is about to undergo a temporal shift to Victorian London, and you would be lost in the void of time if you were to stay any longer."
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  DavidMcMahon Mon Dec 30 2019, 09:36

Rush King looks over at Steeplejack, seeing if he is ready to go, "Guess that is our cue to leave. You know this Iron Lady from the old days?"
DavidMcMahon
DavidMcMahon
Cosmic Level

Back to top Go down

Post  Steeple_jackuk Mon Dec 30 2019, 17:59

Admin wrote:Still, it was a lead.

"My master said you have to go now." said the apprentice. "The house is about to undergo a temporal shift to Victorian London, and you would be lost in the void of time if you were to stay any longer."

Steeplejack looked a knowing look at Rush and then headed to the door a curt nod, following a quick snap from his phone of the pages in the book. And as he headed out, not waiting for Rush to follow he was putting a call into D'Veere to explain their situation and find out what he thought they could do from here.

OOC:I think that Sj would suggest that D'Veere set up a meeting and vouchsafe for us, I'm known but not personally to Iron Lady, and Rush...well I'd not know one way or another. But I think once we've got an idea of where we go from here then this scavenger hunt can begin in earnest ;-)

Since I doubt there is much chance for posts this side of 2019, can I wish you every blessing for this coming New Year Gentlemen? I hope your Christmas was peaceful and joyful.

Sj
Steeple_jackuk
Steeple_jackuk
Cosmic Level

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 8 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next