The Vanguard Play by Post Roleplaying Game
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Chat about the game...

+3
DavidMcMahon
dunecat
Admin
7 posters

Page 30 of 39 Previous  1 ... 16 ... 29, 30, 31 ... 34 ... 39  Next

Go down

Chat about the game... - Page 30 Empty Re: Chat about the game...

Post  Admin Tue Feb 11 2020, 15:30

I was going to update your Steeplejack fight with the ADVENT Muton (one of the aliens you'll find in the XCom series of games that I dropped into our game world) but I'm mindful of Haunts/Davids posts vanishing off the page so I'll hang fire until David posts so as not to 'submerge' his stuff as we're on GMT.

The Acrobatics thing popped up in Steeps last post. Basically when avoiding something he knows about (not hard with Danger Sense) you can use the Acrobatics skill to add extra dice. It's tricky to do a simple explanation but whatever dice you use for Attack or for Defence reduce the number of dice you can then use (in the same round) for Defence or Attack (whatever one you haven't done).

So Steeplejack gets 5 extra dice (7D12 in total) for Attack from Martial Artist and 4 extra dice for Defence from Acrobatics (6D12 in total). If Steep attacks first and uses 4-5 extra dice on Attack he can't use ANY extra dice for Defence. If he defends first (loses initiative in other words) he can use 4D12 extra for Defence and 1D12 extra for Attack.

OR... you can juggle those extra dice as you see fit so long as they total 5D12 between them and no more than 5D12 extra on Attack and 4D12 on Defence.

I'll bet that makes it as clear as mud. I read it back and scratched my head. Maybe if I draw a picture with crayons I'll understand it better... Shocked

Admin
Admin

https://darkeningshadows.darkbb.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Steeple_jackuk Tue Feb 11 2020, 16:57

Admin wrote:I was going to update your Steeplejack fight with the ADVENT Muton (one of the aliens you'll find in the XCom series of games that I dropped into our game world) but I'm mindful of Haunts/Davids posts vanishing off the page so I'll hang fire until David posts so as not to 'submerge' his stuff as we're on GMT.

The Acrobatics thing popped up in Steeps last post. Basically when avoiding something he knows about (not hard with Danger Sense) you can use the Acrobatics skill to add extra dice. It's tricky to do a simple explanation but whatever dice you use for Attack or for Defence reduce the number of dice you can then use (in the same round) for Defence or Attack (whatever one you haven't done).

So Steeplejack gets 5 extra dice (7D12 in total) for Attack from Martial Artist and 4 extra dice for Defence from Acrobatics (6D12 in total). If Steep attacks first and uses 4-5 extra dice on Attack he can't use ANY extra dice for Defence. If he defends first (loses initiative in other words) he can use 4D12 extra for Defence and 1D12 extra for Attack.

OR... you can juggle those extra dice as you see fit so long as they total 5D12 between them and no more than 5D12 extra on Attack and 4D12 on Defence.

I'll bet that makes it as clear as mud. I read it back and scratched my head. Maybe if I draw a picture with crayons I'll understand it better... Shocked

Haha I think I get it but we'll see. I'll reply to the other threads when I've got a bit more time, as I am going out shortly, but hope to reply tonight or first thing tomorrow.

Sj
Steeple_jackuk
Steeple_jackuk
Cosmic Level

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Tue Feb 11 2020, 18:53

Tickertape changed Smile if there are any decent pictures of your heroes you want to post I'll try to post them up in the forum titles. Just don't want to make a muck of it and spoil the clean uncluttered look with my hamfisted paint shop pro-ing....

Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Steeple_jackuk Tue Feb 11 2020, 22:05

Admin wrote:Tickertape changed Smile if there are any decent pictures of your heroes you want to post I'll try to post them up in the forum titles. Just don't want to make a muck of it and spoil the clean uncluttered look with my hamfisted paint shop pro-ing....

I have been working on an older more mature Sj look. I got so far then ran into other things to do and work so it stalled a bit. But hopefully, I'll get to finish it soon and give you a look.

Sj
Steeple_jackuk
Steeple_jackuk
Cosmic Level

Back to top Go down

Post  DavidMcMahon Tue Feb 18 2020, 20:20

Here's a link that might be of help:
https://www.writeups.org/rules-dc-heroes-rpg-knight-of-shadow/

"This archive contains some of the first DCH RPG material to appear on the net, and was among the longest-running sites to be continuously maintained. The DCH Mailing List community is thus happy to prevent its disappearance."
DavidMcMahon
DavidMcMahon
Cosmic Level

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Wed Feb 19 2020, 16:22

Good link, not seen that before. Will have a look through

Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Sat Feb 22 2020, 08:51

I'm away from keyboard most of the weekend (after a fairly horrific week at work. The conductor on my train on Thursday thought a passenger had died so we had police/ambulance to attend to and literally while that was oging on another guy wanted to travel but didn't want to pay and was squaring up to the guard so I had to politely use my 6'4/19 stone frame to persuade him otherwise while being polite and not laying a finger on him. trickier than it sounds when the guy had had a drink) but thought I'd come up with a few thoughts...

Had a quick look through a few old OOC posts from way back when (7 or so years ago I think). You two were playing/interacting in a story I think and there was something by a guy called Kevin about amalgamating all the old Golden Heroes adventures into one campaign. We were chit chatting about the Golden Heroes rules and how things might be tweaked/changed and you were involved in the Squadron UK rewrite Dave (E). Did anything ever come of the GH campaign thing or did it vanish? I remember handing over the cash but never got anything and the last update was years ago I think.

I'm massively tempted to tackle a full rewrite of the DC Heroes game rules we use as a base because we are veering quite far away from the game as written. From my point of view the formula we use:

Acting Value + 2D12 vs
Opposing Value + 2D12

Look on table get modifier for Effect Value

Effect Value - Resistance Value = Result (or Result Attribute Points or RAPs - the eighties was full of acronyms)

is much faster and easier to use than digging the table out and counting column shifts. My suggestions and ideas have been mostly poo pooed or shot down on the DC Heroes Facebook group but a few have shown an interest and we *might* have one or two new players cropping up at some point.

We three die hard/stalwarts know full well about new players and the changes that can bring so any new players will play solo at first and see how that goes. We don't want any rules lawyer/min max game breaker types as I try to balance the challenges you face based on abilities and if someone turns up who can one shot Darkseid/Galactus or spends all their time arguing about game rules we'll grind to a halt as we did a few years ago. As it is we are ticking along at one of the fastest paces in years. David M if you have the time or inclination you can cook up another character and join in one of Dave E's other issues (Frostbite or Lionheart, or both if you like. Frostbite will be indulging in some old style Golden Heroes era adventures with loads of name dropping and Lionheart is up on Mount Olympus with the most powerful super team (by some margin) on Earth - the Ultrahumans, who we've barely mentioned in just over 10 years of play). If you have your hands full that's no problem as we all know about real life.

I was also think about trialling the 'Vanguard version' of the DC Heroes game (that I would write from scratch) with the old Lore Knights game (Jade Hood and Stone Fist who were in the roaring 30s if I recall). That's a way off but the game was initially set up to trial new ideas which have made their way into the main game and now I have some other new ideas that I'd like to try out in the name of tweaking the game and making it our own. I'm happy to take ANY and ALL suggestions on board especially where it comes to explaining thing more clearly or keeping things understandable.

One of the criticisms I had thrown at me on the Facebook group when I posted an example of play was that people couldn't understand the mechanics. If there's an easier way of explaining what I put in bold (above) I'm all ears!

As usual this is your game as much as mine and would fold without you two as you've been with me from the start and all of this game world is as much on you as me. If you want anything (I was thinking an updated Who's Who since the last updated one is four years old) just holler. I'm just about getting my head round the shifts so finding time on my hands during the week, hence the frenetic posting rate (well, once a day is pretty frenetic for play by post but some new players don't get that...)

Right! Time to think about what to wear, have some breakfast and go out for a well deserved beer! Updates on Monday I should think unless I can squeeze in on Sunday afternoon...

Cheers!

paul

Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  DavidMcMahon Sat Feb 22 2020, 14:17

Actually I get confused at your explanations and math but since we tell you what we are trying to achieve, you are the one who looks over your rules to decide how to do it and so you are the one stuck with figuring out what you mean and how to do the math, not us. So in that way, it is a win/win for everyone. You are happy rules munching and we are happy to let you. cheers

I would be happy to join either or both of Dave E's adventures. I would like to try out Vickie Valiant/Miss Victory/Valiant Victory/Miss V/Valiant Vicky or whatever I call her, that I presented a month or so back, the one with the power pool. Depending on how many points she gets to start with she might be a good candidate for the Ultrahumans. For the other, some sort of mage character perhaps? Haven't really done one of those.

As to re-writing the rules, did you check over that website that I linked that included not just characters using DC Hero rules but new powers and combat ideas? You may like some of them.

Ah Jade Hood and Stone Fist, I've been wondering if maybe Haunt and Steeplejack might run into them when we hit the Prohibition Era time line.

fun fun headache. cheers
DavidMcMahon
DavidMcMahon
Cosmic Level

Back to top Go down

Post  Steeple_jackuk Sun Feb 23 2020, 12:05

DavidMcMahon wrote:Actually I get confused at your explanations and math but since we tell you what we are trying to achieve, you are the one who looks over your rules to decide how to do it and so you are the one stuck with figuring out what you mean and how to do the math, not us.  So in that way, it is a win/win for everyone.  You are happy rules munching and we are happy to let you.  cheers

I would be happy to join either or both of Dave E's adventures.  I would like to try out Vickie Valiant/Miss Victory/Valiant Victory/Miss V/Valiant Vicky or whatever I call her, that I presented a month or so back, the one with the power pool.  Depending on how many points she gets to start with she might be a good candidate for the Ultrahumans.  For the other, some sort of mage character perhaps?  Haven't really done one of those.

As to re-writing the rules, did you check over that website that I linked that included not just characters using DC Hero rules but new powers and combat ideas?  You may like some of them.

Ah Jade Hood and Stone Fist, I've been wondering if maybe Haunt and Steeplejack might run into them when we hit the Prohibition Era timeline.

fun fun headache.   cheers

I'd love to see Jade and Stone Fist turn up with our current run with Sj and Haunt. And then see something spin-off from that, assuming time allowed.

As regards to rules, to be honest although I understand where you going, in reality, I've no idea how in practice such a thing would work. But I am with Dave, I am less interested in the rules - because they are only a means of providing unbiased results, in terms of seeking to achieve what we set out to do. So for me, if they are easier for you, well that too is a win-win situation. If you want to make suggestions I am really not worried, I trust you and am and have never been too worried about how the rules permit us to do something - after all if its for us then its the same for the vilains. So it works across the board it works for me.

Sj
Steeple_jackuk
Steeple_jackuk
Cosmic Level

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Sun Feb 23 2020, 13:02

David M see what you can come up with using 2000HP for Miss Victory (or whatever her name turns out to be). Aim for AV/EV/OV/RV in the teens to early twenties. Definitely not street level! In the DC Heroes 2e/3e 30AP was often mooted to be the 'upper limit' for characters, a far cry from the days of 1e trigon and Superman/Justice League/Legion of Super Heroes who could casually throw nuclear bomb level blasts about without thinking about it. We don't have such limits and at some point I will stat up the Ultrahumans in their entirety. Silver Sentinel and Thunder Woman really will be jaw dropping. So will the bad guys sent to test them (and the rest of the Ultras!)

When you create the character can you apply an extra +5FC to any skills you buy. When I changed the way skills work I didn't alter the cost so they are much better and really cheap at the moment. They may go up even more in future (when I get my head around typing up more house rules) but for now +5FC will do. (That's 'Factor Cost' Dave E. DC Heroes is point buy and 'Factor Cost' is based on how useful something is. Superspeed is FC8 (and cheap in my opinion) whilst most senses are FC1 and therefore much cheaper. Sorcery is FC10 as is Power reserve like Lionheart uses for example.)

All new characters I create will have to pay the +5FC on skills so they are much more expensive but even 1AP in a skill grants an extra die with a skill check, so they are useful.

More later if I get chance, if not, updates Monday.

Jade Hood and Stone Fist will link with Haunt and Steeplejack at some point in the 1930s.

Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Steeple_jackuk Sun Feb 23 2020, 13:21

Admin wrote:More later if I get chance, if not, updates Monday.

Jade Hood and Stone Fist will link with Haunt and Steeplejack at some point in the 1930s.

OOC: Very Happy

Sj
Steeple_jackuk
Steeple_jackuk
Cosmic Level

Back to top Go down

Post  DavidMcMahon Sun Feb 23 2020, 14:06

Admin wrote:David M see what you can come up with using 2000HP for Miss Victory (or whatever her name turns out to be). Aim for AV/EV/OV/RV in the teens to early twenties. Definitely not street level! In the DC Heroes 2e/3e 30AP was often mooted to be the 'upper limit' for characters, a far cry from the days of 1e trigon and Superman/Justice League/Legion of Super Heroes who could casually throw nuclear bomb level blasts about without thinking about it. We don't have such limits and at some point I will stat up the Ultrahumans in their entirety. Silver Sentinel and Thunder Woman really will be jaw dropping. So will the bad guys sent to test them (and the rest of the Ultras!)

When you create the character can you apply an extra +5FC to any skills you buy. When I changed the way skills work I didn't alter the cost so they are much better and really cheap at the moment. They may go up even more in future (when I get my head around typing up more house rules) but for now +5FC will do. (That's 'Factor Cost' Dave E. DC Heroes is point buy and 'Factor Cost' is based on how useful something is. Superspeed is FC8 (and cheap in my opinion) whilst most senses are FC1 and therefore much cheaper. Sorcery is FC10 as is Power reserve like Lionheart uses for example.)

Cool and cooler. So how many points for the other game? I'm toying with a magic type right now. Either a Flash/Fire type who is the mortal reincarnation of Helios or a Air Manipulation type with some magic spells/abilities.

Got a lot of time at work on Mon and Tuesday to work on both characters.
DavidMcMahon
DavidMcMahon
Cosmic Level

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Sun Feb 23 2020, 18:42

For the Lionheart game 2000HP for Miss Victory

For the Frostbite game 900HP aim for AV/EV/OV/RV from 9-14 range. If it's magic you're probably best off Mystic linking to Aura as Sorcery costs a fortune (500 base Cost if I recall?)

Chat about the game... - Page 30 Sorcery

Eeek. 750 Base Cost. Bonkers.

Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  DavidMcMahon Mon Feb 24 2020, 14:58

Admin wrote:For the Lionheart game 2000HP for Miss Victory

For the Frostbite game 900HP aim for AV/EV/OV/RV from 9-14 range. If it's magic you're probably best off Mystic linking to Aura as Sorcery costs a fortune (500 base Cost if I recall?)

Chat about the game... - Page 30 Sorcery

Eeek. 750 Base Cost. Bonkers.

Yeah gave up on the idea of Sorcery when I saw that cost. So I will be mystic linking powers that I want instead. Very Happy
DavidMcMahon
DavidMcMahon
Cosmic Level

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Wed Mar 04 2020, 12:02

Miss V's first issue is UP!

Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Sun Mar 08 2020, 19:44

Updates tomorrow. 2nd working weekend out of the way. No days off until a week on wednesday (basically 1 day off every two weeks) means I'm running a bit behind (it was laundry day today after finishing work).

We may have a new player. It's someone off the DC heroes facebook group called Patrick. He'll be running a street level speedster called Kid Kinetic for starters, and we'll see how we go on. Not everyone can cope with the pace of play by post (sometimes fast, more likely very slow compared to face to face). Once settled in/established he'll be included in joint adventures... Just waiting for him to sign up to the forum...

Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Sun Mar 08 2020, 19:47

Oh and another reminder about the fact you two (David/Dave) are moderators for this place (along with me) in case someone joins and spams the place (I've not quite figured out the need for admin approval to join. People tend to join and can post away to their hearts content and that might include people who want to spam with adverts etc). At some point I'll dig into the mechanics of the forum we've called home for 10 years. So far I can't recall any bother we've had but better safe than sorry.

Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  DavidMcMahon Wed Mar 11 2020, 20:45

Lightning Limey! Hilarious!!!!! Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing

Gotta see what kind of costume you would come up with for a character with that name. It's almost as funny as Arm Fall-Off Boy, who is a trainee/substitute member of the Legion of Substitute Heroes.
DavidMcMahon
DavidMcMahon
Cosmic Level

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Sun Mar 15 2020, 19:05

Running slightly behind at the moment as work has been relentless and my sons birthday tomorrow but should be caught up by Wedmesday!

Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  DavidMcMahon Wed Mar 18 2020, 18:59

original 1940s Sun Girl
Chat about the game... - Page 30 Sungir11
Chat about the game... - Page 30 Sungir10
DavidMcMahon
DavidMcMahon
Cosmic Level

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Fri Mar 20 2020, 15:52

I'm confusing myself at the moment. We have a Solar Girl in Lionhearts game and Sun Girl in Frostbites game... Shocked

Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Fri Mar 20 2020, 15:53

On another note I love the old covers and style of the old comics. Unfussy, clean lines, not very technical but possessing an easy on the eye look. Backgrounds could look drab quite a lot of the time mind....

Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  DavidMcMahon Fri Mar 20 2020, 19:24

I saw one of your heroines' name was Sun Girl and it reminded me of the original Timely Comics one. Looking it over, her costume is pretty nice and seems to age well. I could see a modern heroine in the same outfit.
DavidMcMahon
DavidMcMahon
Cosmic Level

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Fri Mar 27 2020, 14:53

Just a quick update on me. I *should* be fine for updating daily for the next week as I have a week off work. I was due to fly to Lanzarote for a much needed holiday but of course that's in the bin now. I'll be staying with the girlfriend for much of the time so time may be pushed sometimes whilst we get on with the jobs we need to do (around the house and her dads house, which hasn't been touched since he died in early January). That'll be 'fun' as police are stopping people randomly now to discourage from travelling anywhere. I expect in two weeks this place (UK) will be a nastier place as the infection and death rate spikes like Spain and Italy are currently suffering through. Our government has been caught on the hop with testing but at least they aren't predicting it'll be fine by Easter like Trump is Shocked Unless he means Easter 2021 in which case he's probably right.

Stay safe all!

Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  DavidMcMahon Thu Apr 02 2020, 14:09

The Mighty Flea!, annoying wisecracking youth who may or may not be useful. An unknown quantity who annoys most of the adults.

Wondered if you got the idea from the PS238 comic?

Chat about the game... - Page 30 Flea_210

If no one has seen this before, it is a great comic strip that was also released as a comic book.
https://ps238.nodwick.com/archive/
DavidMcMahon
DavidMcMahon
Cosmic Level

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 30 of 39 Previous  1 ... 16 ... 29, 30, 31 ... 34 ... 39  Next