The Vanguard Play by Post Roleplaying Game
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Chat about the game...

+3
DavidMcMahon
dunecat
Admin
7 posters

Page 29 of 39 Previous  1 ... 16 ... 28, 29, 30 ... 34 ... 39  Next

Go down

Chat about the game... - Page 29 Empty Re: Chat about the game...

Post  Steeple_jackuk Mon Dec 09 2019, 15:53

Admin wrote:Hmmm weird. Didn't see where Cling (wall crawling) went. It's under the same limitation as all the other powers. He's on very shaky ground where glass/metal/separation from earth apply but he is still very dextrous and strong as a backup. He could give Spiderman a run for his money in a scrap. Probably beat him.

Trimmed Spirit by 1 point to pay for Cling. Cling allows him to stick himself and hold up to 400lbs before he gets peeled off the wall.

Excellent thanks.

Sj
Steeple_jackuk
Steeple_jackuk
Cosmic Level

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Tue Dec 10 2019, 10:22

Steeplejack Issue 1 is up. As mentioned in the thread it may be an idea to glance at Haunts issue 8. The idea isn't to catch the other character out (you are both great role players so I'd expect you play to what the character knows not what you know) but to be aware of details that the character would know and not be caught out/have to repeat myself! I've winged it/invented on the fly a history in this timeline which may differ from what went before either in the Exec game way back when or in our previous issues.
Admin
Admin
Admin

https://darkeningshadows.darkbb.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Steeple_jackuk Tue Dec 10 2019, 12:34

Admin wrote:Steeplejack Issue 1 is up. As mentioned in the thread it may be an idea to glance at Haunts issue 8. The idea isn't to catch the other character out (you are both great role players so I'd expect you play to what the character knows not what you know) but to be aware of details that the character would know and not be caught out/have to repeat myself! I've winged it/invented on the fly a history in this timeline which may differ from what went before either in the Exec game way back when or in our previous issues.

Great will try and do that. BTW did you get an email from Yahoo, they seem to be offering me a way to download all my past group discussion stuff - I'm awaiting an email with a link, but thought it might mean I can get all the Exec stuff in one shot. We shall see.

Sj
Steeple_jackuk
Steeple_jackuk
Cosmic Level

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Tue Dec 10 2019, 12:55

I did get an email and downloaded it previous but have no idea what to do with the info. It's in json files I think. I'll have to do some reading up
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Sun Dec 15 2019, 03:18

Successfully downloaded the entirety of the Executive messages and files (along with all the other various Yahoo groups I was in). If you want a copy of the Exec stuff I'll upload it somewhere and give you a link
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Steeple_jackuk Sun Dec 15 2019, 08:25

Admin wrote:Successfully downloaded the entirety of the Executive messages and files (along with all the other various Yahoo groups I was in). If you want a copy of the Exec stuff I'll upload it somewhere and give you a link

Thanks, Paul

just got a link myself, I let you know how I get on if I run into trouble I might well come back to you.

Sj
Steeple_jackuk
Steeple_jackuk
Cosmic Level

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Tue Dec 17 2019, 08:18

Glad I did. It's gone, all of it Shocked
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Steeple_jackuk Tue Dec 17 2019, 08:28

Admin wrote:Glad I did. It's gone, all of it Shocked

Wow, not a moment too soon then. I downloaded my files, but there is a lot in here that I can't seem to read in the forum posts, How did you get to read them?

Sj
Steeple_jackuk
Steeple_jackuk
Cosmic Level

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Tue Dec 17 2019, 08:43

https://sourceforge.net/projects/mbox-viewer/

Install that (free, open source) mailbox viewer. Then open the files you downloaded from Yahoo.
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Steeple_jackuk Tue Dec 17 2019, 08:50

Admin wrote:https://sourceforge.net/projects/mbox-viewer/

Install that (free, open source) mailbox viewer. Then open the files you downloaded from Yahoo.

Great thanks mate

Sj
Steeple_jackuk
Steeple_jackuk
Cosmic Level

Back to top Go down

Post  DavidMcMahon Thu Dec 19 2019, 21:58

Rush King, famous actor.

Doing this from a very spotty memory as I am doing this at work and do not have access to the origin story I originally worked up for the Haunt. And of course the time that has been spent in game as well. But this would be the public knowledge of him.

Rush King is an American actor primarily working in the UK instead of the U.S.. A lot of this is due to the fact that as a teenager, he got a breakout role on a very popular teen dramedy [comedy/drama] for British TV. [BBC or that other one]. For five seasons, he played the role of an American foreign exchange student in the show. He played a quintessential opinionated clueless American teen, usually for laughs, ["It's called a truck, dammit!, not a Lori. Lori is a girl's name!"] but was also given, after the first season, numerous chances to show some great depth to the character, making him one of the most popular characters in the show.

He did a number of commercials and guest spots on other shows while his show was running. After the show ended he stayed around instead of going back to America, and has gone on to do more important or recognized work including movies and theater as he aged out of teen roles into adult roles.

Gossip and a police report from a few years ago states he was injured during a play when a jealous rival for the part replaced the beaker of acid [water for the play], with real acid that got thrown onto him and he was hospitalized. [Doctor Jekyll and Mister Hyde, was the play if memory serves] Strangely, the Haunt started appearing a few months after this incident, or not strangely at all. tongue

[Forgot how old he is now, 25-30 I think, so he has been acting for 10+ years].

In the world of cinema, he has moved up from the "And Also Starring & With" billings and recently, as of last year, worked his way up to "Co-starring" billing in Grade A movies. He has gotten "Starring" billing in a couple of Grade B movies but isn't there yet for major motion pictures.

He has been missing since the Battle for London and is now back with some scarring on his face that wasn't there last year.

No current romantic relationships known though he has been seen dating numerous starlets and other society girls over the years.

And that is the public Rush King.

That acid incident led him to meeting Doctor Praetorius and gave him most of his powers as there was something more in that acid and got inside him and changed him. "Doc P" designed his super-suit with its additional powers and is his best friend in an older mentor sort of way. That acid incident also gave him a mental vulnerability to acid attacks too as the Haunt.
DavidMcMahon
DavidMcMahon
Cosmic Level

Back to top Go down

Post  Steeple_jackuk Fri Dec 20 2019, 19:30

DavidMcMahon wrote:Rush King, famous actor...And that is the public Rush King.

That acid incident led him to meeting Doctor Praetorius and gave him most of his powers as there was something more in that acid and got inside him and changed him.  "Doc P" designed his super-suit with its additional powers and is his best friend in an older mentor sort of way.  That acid incident also gave him a mental vulnerability to acid attacks too as the Haunt.

Thanks for this Dave

Sj
Steeple_jackuk
Steeple_jackuk
Cosmic Level

Back to top Go down

Post  DavidMcMahon Fri Dec 20 2019, 19:59

Took Plastic Man's origin and twisted it a bit. he was a crook trying to steal the payroll of a chemical company got shot by a security guard on the way out, some rounds hit a vat of acid and that got into his wounds, that gave him his powers. Of course, he also went into a swamp while trying to avoid the manhunt and got all sorts of things from that into is wounds too. He then collapsed and was found by some monks and taken to their monastery to recover. And from that, he decided to turn over a new leaf and fight crime rather than commit crime. Interesting origin if you think about it.

And about 20 years or so ago, one writer took over Plastic Man's miniseries title and said that what we thought we knew of his origin was wrong. He actually got his powers at the monastery, that instead of monks, they were angels disguised as monks and that his shape-changing/stretching powers were from the heavens instead and that he was one of a number of other crooks who were reformed by giving them their powers.

Both are interesting ideas for origins which is why I sort of combined the two to make the mystical Haunt. Very Happy
DavidMcMahon
DavidMcMahon
Cosmic Level

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Mon Dec 23 2019, 12:07

Just a quick message. Rushing about, will update when I can! had a day at work yesterday got done at 0030 this morning and was trying to sort out the youngests PC for 3 hours this morning before I gave up. Several windows 10 reinstalls later and up and running ( posting off it now). however it froze at the bios screen (i.e. just after turning it on) a few minutes ago and gave me a heart attack after hours of getting it sorted out.

*seems* to be working now so hopefully (once it's finished installing Fortnite which is a staggering 74gb) I can box this thing up and wrap it in time for Wednesday.

If I don't get chance to post/get back on before then I want to wish you both a very happy christmas and thanks for being awesome all these years (10 years!).

I'll be on this week, just depends when I'm not running about like a looney tunes character...

Cheers, Paul
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Steeple_jackuk Mon Dec 23 2019, 13:36

Admin wrote:Just a quick message. Rushing about, will update when I can! had a day at work yesterday got done at 0030 this morning and was trying to sort out the youngests PC for 3 hours this morning before I gave up. Several windows 10 reinstalls later and up and running ( posting off it now). however it froze at the bios screen (i.e. just after turning it on) a few minutes ago and gave me a heart attack after hours of getting it sorted out.

*seems* to be working now so hopefully (once it's finished installing Fortnite which is a staggering 74gb) I can box this thing up and wrap it in time for Wednesday.

If I don't get chance to post/get back on before then I want to wish you both a very happy christmas and thanks for being awesome all these years (10 years!).

I'll be on this week, just depends when I'm not running about like a looney tunes character...

Cheers, Paul

Ah, bless you mate, hope your son appreciates the effort - 74 gig wow that is amazing. Anyway likewise when not working and looking like (which cartoon character...cue discussion) likewise I hope you get to enjoy the real point of Christmas, with family and friends. Every blessing for this coming year as well buddy, loved the last 10 years (scary how fast its gone), and God willing hope for another 10+.

Sj
Steeple_jackuk
Steeple_jackuk
Cosmic Level

Back to top Go down

Post  DavidMcMahon Tue Dec 24 2019, 11:11

Only one other PBEM game have I been in that lasted 10+ years and that one folded a few years back. So here is hoping for another 10+ years here and everyone have a safe and happy holidays. rendeer
DavidMcMahon
DavidMcMahon
Cosmic Level

Back to top Go down

Post  DavidMcMahon Sat Jan 25 2020, 21:37

I dropped a line at two PBEMs that I used to be involved with mentioning this game. So we might get one or two folks dropping by and looking us over. Just a heads up.
DavidMcMahon
DavidMcMahon
Cosmic Level

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Sun Jan 26 2020, 01:09

More the merrier in my book. Just so long as we don't get any more rules lawyers/rules warriors like we had a few years back. Nice people but it made my head hurt trying to sort out rules stuff when most of the time I wasn't that bothered and went with a 'whatever works to keep the game going' kind of thing....
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Sat Feb 01 2020, 18:29

Just started a training course for new trains (that look like this:)

Chat about the game... - Page 29 802

Head is a bit mashed so will post tomorrow for the resolving of Lionheart/Evilheart and to see who answers Steeplejacks/Haunts call. Also got asked if I wanted to be on the telly as part of a fly on the wall documentary being followed about with a camera for a few days. Not sure I do but I said I'd think about it. Shocked

I was thinking 'Hope they catch my good side' then I remembered 'I don't have one!' so it's all good! We'll see.
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  DavidMcMahon Sun Feb 02 2020, 22:21

It looks so fast! But do you have rules like we do where trains can't go above 25 MPH inside city limits, which ruins any need for speed?
DavidMcMahon
DavidMcMahon
Cosmic Level

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Mon Feb 03 2020, 06:51

No limits as such until we get to the station and slow down. For instance we go from 115mph to 90, 80, 70, 30, 25, 15 at Newcastle all within a mile or two. Depends where we are really. Obviously piling into a station at 100mph is pointless if you actually need to stop there. But cities are the places where things tend to slow down as there are points to go across, loads of other trains about, signals slowing you down etc.

As for fast, I think these things will top at north of 160mph but the Japanese are the masters of this sort of thing (it's a Hitachi train) with their bullet trains. We may have invented the railway (along with other things) but it's a long long time since we were actually good at running a decent service...
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Thu Feb 06 2020, 17:11

RULES ALERT!

Something has been niggling me... Certain skills give dice to add to attack but the skill to add dice to defend costs your dice (attack) action that round which isn't right! Therefore, the rules are changing!

MARTIAL ARTIST and WEAPONRY give dice when ATTACKING
ACROBATICS (Dodging) give dice to DEFENDING

Everyone rolls at least 2D12. Any extra dice for Attack and Defence from SKILLS are affected by this rule. You can buy whatever dice you want for attack or defence with Hero Points as usual.
Here's the rules:

Any dice you use to attack with are taken from the number of dice you can then apply to defence in that round, and vice versa.

Let's say you have Martial Artist 8 and Acrobatics 11...

Chat about the game... - Page 29 Skills-list

Martial Artist 8 gives FOUR extra dice when you attack (meaning you roll 6D12 and pick two to use ditching the rest)

Acrobatics 11 gives FIVE extra dice when you defend (meaning you normally roll 7D12 and pick two ditching the other dice).

With the new rule in place you can use Acrobatics without sacrificing your attack but in the above example because you use four dice extra from Martial Artist you can only use one Die for defence on your Acrobatics

If you lose initiative and get attacked you can defend first and use those five dice extra from Acrobatics to defend with but you won't be able to use any dice for Martial Artist when you attack.

You can choose how many dice you use from each skill to get the balance you want. For example with the above character you could use three extra dice for attack and two extra dice for defence or 2 extra for attack and 3 extra to defend and so on, with the rule that any extra dice you use for an attack or defence limit the number of dice you can then use for defence or attack.

Hope that makes sense!!!
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  DavidMcMahon Fri Feb 07 2020, 00:19

vaguely understand but will figure it out with the next fight.
DavidMcMahon
DavidMcMahon
Cosmic Level

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Fri Feb 07 2020, 15:25

I'll make sure it makes sense. Basically Haunt gets 5 extra dice to roll with when he attacks. If he only uses two extra dice to attack with (in addition to the standard 2D12) he can use 3 extra dice to his defence from his Acrobatics skill. I'll sort out the mechanics and offer the choice when it comes up. If Haunt chooses to defend more, he's less effective at Attacking. And vice versa. At the moment he gets NO extra dice with defence unless he pays for them with hero points or sacrifices his dice action for that round (so he can't attack) which isn't right.

Like I say, I'll offer the choice when the time comes.
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Steeple_jackuk Fri Feb 07 2020, 20:58

Admin wrote:I'll make sure it makes sense. Basically Haunt gets 5 extra dice to roll with when he attacks. If he only uses two extra dice to attack with (in addition to the standard 2D12) he can use 3 extra dice to his defence from his Acrobatics skill. I'll sort out the mechanics and offer the choice when it comes up. If Haunt chooses to defend more, he's less effective at Attacking. And vice versa. At the moment he gets NO extra dice with defence unless he pays for them with hero points or sacrifices his dice action for that round (so he can't attack) which isn't right.

Like I say, I'll offer the choice when the time comes.

As Dave said I get the idea but seeing it played out will help. It seems as well that you are making things we've purchased (and for that matter the bad guys as well) afford us more options and strategy I like that, it makes it seem more meaningful and you always seem to deftly handle all these nuances really well Paul. So let's go for it.

Thanks for giving this such thought.

By the way fantastic end to Frostbite and Lionheart's episode that was a doozy and am loving working with Dave/Haunt.

Sj
Steeple_jackuk
Steeple_jackuk
Cosmic Level

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 29 of 39 Previous  1 ... 16 ... 28, 29, 30 ... 34 ... 39  Next