The Vanguard Play by Post Roleplaying Game
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Chat about the game...

+3
DavidMcMahon
dunecat
Admin
7 posters

Page 19 of 39 Previous  1 ... 11 ... 18, 19, 20 ... 29 ... 39  Next

Go down

Chat about the game... - Page 19 Empty Re: Chat about the game...

Post  Admin Wed Nov 04 2015, 17:33

Playing catch up this week. Will update tomorrow (done an interim update for Lionheart but run out of time... ) when I get home from work. Right now need to hit the sack to be up at 1am Sad
Admin
Admin
Admin

https://darkeningshadows.darkbb.com

Back to top Go down

Post  dunecat Sun Nov 08 2015, 07:51

Ahah! I found the password for this thing again!

Hey guys, sorry it's been so long. I've been through a lot since I was active last. Moved, couple family members passed on.. I generally stopped with the whole roleplaying thing all together for a while. Recently I've been wanting to get back in the saddle though, if you'll still have me?

dunecat
Class 2 Hero (Low level superhuman)

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Tue Nov 10 2015, 22:32

Hiya! I do recall that there was an application for membership sometime in the last week or so but it's been buried in my email client and as Dave/David will no doubt have realised, my best laid plans of getting more posting done over the weekend were scuppered (more night shifts. yay.)

No problem with jumping in again. I fully understand the rigours of real life having been through a wringer in the last month or so myself.

With regards character you want to jump in with your old guy or cook up someone new? Have a think. For the most part adventures are currently in the 'solo' phase, after which the scattered Vanguard will (finally) reunite for a group game to face a mega threat. Or two. At the moment the current danger comes from below (microscopic invaders in Lionhearts adventures) beyond (locust type space invaders in Frostbites threads) and 'somewhere else' as Haunt finds himself battling against otherworld demons in search of the means to resurrect the bane of King Arthur - Mordred.

Dave/David will be updating in the morning. Probably at some stupid hour, but am hoping to get done earlier than I did today and my father in law hasn't lined me up for any more favours for his friends (computer fixing...) like today. Just what you need after a night shift, trying to figure out what went wrong with a Windows 10 install so someone can use their computer again. I managed it, but had to dredge up a bit of old school guesswork to get the thing booting again. Oh well, at least I know what Windows 10 looks like now...

Cheers, Paul
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  dunecat Wed Nov 11 2015, 02:19

I was thinking of digging up a conversion of Silas from our old DC/Marvel game actually. I like Alex/Stormbreaker mind, he's just a really complicated character to work with and we lost his sheet so he needed a rebuild..

You know, the deciding point for this would be one question; has there been any time that could have been used to do Artifact creation?

If no then I'll definitely go with Silas or something else. If yes then I'll have to contemplate it Smile

dunecat

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Wed Nov 11 2015, 23:51

Dunecat: In terms of time I expect only a few weeks have passed since you were away, so probably not the months (and years?) of crafting time required to knock out a Mjolnir or Excalibur. You'll have to remind me about Silas, my memory is hazy after a few weeks.

=========

All:

Something I have been toying with for a while is a change to the way Hero Points are used. If I had time to post every day (as I used to, pre 2nd born child, as Dave/David might remember) the mechanic of spending extra points by both sides (hero/villain) would be better utilised. As it is right now, it's a one way street and rely on the rolls (otherwise combat would drag on for weeks and nothing would get done).

So instead I propose this mechanic.

When you use hero points, you can do them in one of two ways:

1) Buy an extra D10 to roll. You roll 2D10 (as usual), make sure you don't get double 1 (instant failure) then roll any extra D10s. Pick the best two D10 to use. I propose a fee of 6 hero points for the first D10, 13 for the second, 21 for the third and 30 for the fourth (and if you want more D10s, the pattern goes +10, +11, +12). Example. You want to roll extra D10s. you want three extra D10, spend 21 hero points.

2) Last ditch defence - this mechanic causes something of a headache with the way things are run as it makes the experienced hero nigh on unbeatable. I think a change is required to give the bad guys a fighting chance against experienced (HP heavy) heroes. Take a look at this:

Chat about the game... - Page 19 Last_ditch_defence

Example: if Haunt is fighting against his Shadow Demon buddies and one of them lands 6 points of Body damage on him, a check on the first (left hand column) shows the number of Body damage Haunt wants to absorb, and the column across shows the TOTAL cost in Hero Points to do it.

Recovery/Last Ditch recovery checks will also be cost changed to prevent the possible springing up from KO'd that can easily occur. It's been so long since one of the characters took an actual battering I can't remember using this since we've been using the DC Heroes system.

This *sort of* nerfs the Hero Point mechanic making things MUCH more dependent on the characters stats as they are, the players choices (you will need to use special combat maneuvers more, for example instead of just spending 20 HP and one shotting the bad guy) and the dice. The change means you have some control over the dice (a sore point with Dave over the years - the online dice rollers hate him as much as they love him, and I don't doctor rolls, promise!) which counters the HP mechanic change.

Because the HP system will be ( if all ok with it and no glaring flaws found) somewhat reduced in usefulness I intend to slash the costs of character advancement. Some of these characters have been going years now, with no real change in stats. I need to take a long look at the costs and divide them, so that there at least is *some* advancement.

I also intend to speed up combat. We'll maybe have announcements along the lines of:

Round 1 - Attack with Punch, fly up out of harms way. Buy 2 extra Dice.
Round 2 - if I take damage in Round 1, go on the defensive. If the fight is going my way try a multiple energy attack at range against three foes. Buy 1 extra Die.
Round 3 - If anyone is left coordinate with team to take them down with most powerful/preferred attack. No dice bought.

This probably needs heavy tweaking. When we played Golden Heroes way back when the combat system meant announcing and resolving four actions at a time in many cases. That pretty much meant fights were resolved in just a few posts albeit large ones in some cases, there were some real throw downs back in the day. I am open to suggestions about all of this and happy to try anything. Trying to play a face to face rpg by post is one of the most challenging ways to role play, especially in terms of keeping interest going, and if I need to change the mechanics of the rule system, I am more than happy to do that.

That also includes ditching the resolution table, but I will save that for another time. Duty calls Sad I'll be sat on my backside in a power station but may well be able to update between shunts, so fingers crossed we'll see some progress by the time ordinary human beings get out of bed (at least on GMT).

Cheers, Paul
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  dunecat Thu Nov 12 2015, 01:56

Silas, was modeled around a bunch of Green lantern stuff. So lots of Energy Manipulation and some supporting powers. For the purposes of this game I was thinking he got his powers from a shard of a meteor that landed under his bed. Darn cosmic radiation. Laughing

With the amount of time that's gone by, and without the ability to take on Superspeed to go some enchanting done in a shorter time I'm going to go for building up Silas. Also Fore Manipulation is just a riot to play with.

What am I look at for a budget on making him?

dunecat

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Thu Nov 12 2015, 02:21

Lets say 1500 with an upper limit of 13-15 column for one aspect (acting or opposing, effect or resistance) and the rest in the 8-12 range in line with Frostbite and Haunt so as not to overshadow them whenthe team gets together. You may have to get creative to come up with 15 force manipulation...

Eesh sucks using a tablet to type on. Luckily i have a bluetooth keyboard somewhere in my bag...
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Thu Nov 12 2015, 03:51

More thoughts about ditching the table.

(In the grand scheme of things this doesn't matter to players sinceI try to keep the mechanics behind the scenes...)

Keep Acting vs Opposing value. Target number is 10+Opposing Value* to be attempted by rolling 2D10 + Acting Value. Matching or exceeding the target number indicates the first part of the test has succeeded.

*possibility is a character decides to use their dice action to oppose an opponent, i.e. go on the defensive, they can roll the dice to *hopefully* get a Target Number higher than the base 10+opposing value.

Example: Frostbite attacks a Locust Man. His Acting Value (Cold Control) of 14 (off the top of my head) is up against the target number of 10 plus the locust mans 8 Dex. That means Frosty only needs to roll 4 or more to hit! The Locust man has seen a comrade go down to this icy demon so instead of attacking uses his dice action that round to dodge. The GM rolls 2D10...6 and...6! Double! Roll again... 4 and ... 7. The total (12+11) of 23, plus the Locust Mans Dex 8 means the target number is now... 31! Frostbite had better hope for a decent roll himself as his target number has just jumped from 4 to 17!

Exceeding the target number gives a bonus to the Effect Value (which is in effect how hard you punch, whilst Acting value is to determine if the punch lands).

Arrrgggh. Three times tried to post this. It keeps wiping what I post so will add the next part in another post...
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Thu Nov 12 2015, 04:09

Continues from last rambling post...

So, assuming the acting value roll (roll to hit in combat inother words) is successful, the damage is modified by how succesful (accurate) you were. Makes sense, yeah?

Its tricky to format a table on a bluetooth keyboard on my knees so excuse the following. The first number is the amount you exceeded the target number by followed (in brackets) by the bonus to your effect value (basically a damage bonus in combat)

1 (+1)
2-3 (+2)
4-6 (+3)
7-10 (+4)
11-15 (+5)
16-21 (+6)
22-28 (+7)
29-36 (+8)
37-45 (+9)
46-55 (+10)

EDIT: At home so its easier to do stuff. Here's a table to represent the above. You will see this pattern a lot in the next few pages...

Chat about the game... - Page 19 Damage_bonus_table

Example:Frostbite missedthe Locust Man from earlier but lands a punch later in the fight. His attack roll total of 23 beats the Locust mans opposing value of 18 by 5 points. That falls into the 4-6 column so Frostbite increases his Effect value (Strength 8) by +3 to 11. The Locust Mans body of 8 reduces this to 3 points (11-8=3) so he takes 3 damage.

That's (sort of) how the game works anyway but removes the counting columns and the table completely. In addition evenly matched opponents need a higher thab average roll to break the deadlock rather than relying on Hero Points and the 'whoever has most hero points wins, game over' mechanics as are at present.

Anyway, just a suggestion, think I have touched on this before somewhere. Combat maneuvers (that rely on column shifts) are up next.

Last edited by Admin on Thu Nov 12 2015, 13:14; edited 2 times in total (Reason for editing : added the table which is easier to do in windows than Android, which is fiddly as hell)
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  dunecat Thu Nov 12 2015, 06:04

The idea looks solid I think Paul. Why not try it out for an issue or two?

By the way, how would you feel if I took two Force Manipulation powers? The theory there being that I could use the second power to manifest additional gadgets or double them both up into making one gadget with multiple powers (Or just a decent Body score).

Edit: Fun fact, 15 APs of Force Manipulation is 475 HP.. not bad for the amount of them we have to work with!

dunecat

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Thu Nov 12 2015, 10:14

How about you take two force manipulation powers... but they are basically incompatible so whilst you can use them together (presumably to break the 15APs barrier) the two eat away at each other like acid giving a VERY finite time limit (lose 1Ap round after, 3Ap round after that, 6AP round after that, 10AP the round after... and any overlap from the powers comes off his Body score - so it hurts!). Like the green and yellow lantern thing, but harmful unless he makes his gadget, uses it, then gets rid before the collateral damage to each construct starts to affect him. Just an idea. If you combined the two powers you'd (in game terms) only be adding +1AP to the larger power, so you could have 14 and 15AP. Don't add to make 29, they just make 16AP... With the limitation you still get the 16AP max but you can combine them (for a limited time) to make your 15Ap flight, 14Ap split between body, str, dex, sealed systems of a jet, for example.
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Thu Nov 12 2015, 13:04

A note on the way skills work now...

...They substitute for the statistic when you attempt a task for which they are applicable.
The Pros: Skills are often cheaper than stats, but not always.
The Cons: Some are less useful than others, and the link mechanic (which makes it cheaper to make the skill the same as the stat) means most of the time the skill is only eliminating an unskilled penalty. The more useful skills are more expensive than stats. To buy Batman as a character is horrendous in terms of point costs.

So I suggest...

...buy skills as usual, so buy the AP value that you require. Skills can NO LONGER BE LINKED but to compensate, take a look at the following table:

Chat about the game... - Page 19 Skill_table

Skills in this way work exactly the same as buying dice with hero points. Effectively they give you 'free' hero points to spend to buy dice with every time you use that skill, and they have the same game effect.

Example: Haunt currently has Artist: 7 as he's a proficient Actor. Looking on the table that makes him a 'Grand Master' +4 dice. He's up there with Olivier, Guinness, Hopkins, Kingsley and so on, probably ahead of De Niro, Pacino, Nicholson, Hanks and company who might be one or two rungs lower. Yes, he's that good. When he makes an Actor check to impress an audience he uses his stat (Influence) as the Acting value and rolls 2D10. If they don't come up with double 1 he rolls a further 4D10 (6D10 in total). Then he picks the best two dice (highest or those that give a double) and discards the rest. Chances are he'll get a great roll and the audience will be in raptures. All in a days work for Rush King, legendary actor in waiting!

Another Example: Haunt currently has Acrobatics 5, making him a master and of Olympic level, or thereabouts. The dodge aspect of Acrobatics means (in the current rules) he can forego his Dice action (his attack for that round) and dodge with Acrobatics, and add +5 to his opposing value. With the new skill rules he would roll 2D10, make sure there are no double 1s, and then roll a further 3D10. Pick two dice from the pile, discard the others, then add his Dex score (9). Instead of the target number to hit him being 10+Dex (9) + 5 (acrobatics) it would be Dex (9) plus his best two dice out of five rolled. Chances are they may come up a double or be a higher roll than 15 (which is what he would have gotten in the old system from target Number 10 + Acrobatics 5). With this you are at the mercy of the dice, but have the odds shifted decisively in your favour...

The downside... all existing linked skills will be recosted, so the amount spent on them buys a lower value in most respects. The AP value is kept because it provides a means of tracking how far the character must go to improve that skill. For instance haunt (above) with Artist:7 has the same bonus as someone with 8,9 or 10 Artist, but to improve his skill to 11+ (and roll another bonus die) he would need to improve it to 8, then 9, then 10, then 11... So whilst buying the bare minimum of skill to get the next higher die is a good idea, in the long run it may cost you far more to get a higher die bonus than someone who bought, say, 10 instead of 7, and simply upgrades to 11 to get their next bonus die. EDIT: Recosting Haunts skill would give him Artist: 5 (total cost 41 points) and a 12 point refund to spend somewhere else. That gives him +3 Bonus Dice when plying his trade on the boards of the London Palladium. He has a little way to go to match the greats...

In addition attempting an unskilled action (that is, and action for which a skill is required that you do not have) will incur a dice PENALTY. You will roll additional dice but the GM picks the lowest dice to use (or double 1 if available). the only way in this case to get round it is spending hero points to buy dice to cancel out the penalty dice.

Example: Haunt tries to jury rig a Robot to explode. He needs Scientist skill, but doesn't have it. Unskilled use for that carries a -3 Dice penalty. That means the GM rolls 5D10 and picks the lowest two dice, discarding the rest. Chances are that haunt will always fail. In order to counter that he can spend Hero Points to buy bonus dice. It costs 6 points for one, 13 points for 2 and 21 points for three bonus dice. To cancel out the penalty dice haunt needs to spend 21 Hero Points, and for that he just gets to roll 2D10 for the action. In order to get extra dice he would have to spend more hero points (30 points in total to get +1D10, 40 points in total to get +2D10) because of that nasty penalty. Haunt is best off leaving the Science stuff to Wandafar...

Hopefully this makes sense. If not I will break it down further. This is all in the 'ideas' stage right now so open to suggestions, criticism, glaring flaws being pointed out and so on. Some skills work in different ways so may need modifying, but off the top of my head I think this mechanic will work nicely with the existing game. The proof is in the testing.

I am writing all of this up, by the way, to stick in a PDF. I will try to make it less than eye bleeding text wall with a few pics thrown in and examples using your characters...
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  dunecat Fri Nov 13 2015, 01:26

I actually like this because it gives value to having skills even if they're ranked less then your attributes. I just want to caution you about the value of the combat skills.. Lionheart will be making his customary hand to hand attacks with several extra d10s ontop of his his amazingly high AV from SuperSpeed for instance.

I also wanted to ask how these extra skill dice interact with rolling doubles? Say Frostbite rolls 5d10 and gets 1,5,5,7,4. Could he chose to take the pair of fives instead of 5+7? Would he then roll just two dice and use those or would his extra dice of 1,7,4 carry over? Meaning he could technically roll a 7 or 4 on either die and then get a second 'doubles' exploding roll?

dunecat

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Fri Nov 13 2015, 03:48

What Lionheart gains from his higher chances of rolling doubles he loses because martial arts will no longer be linked. The character will need rejigging so as to give the same (ish) levels of offense but will find it easier to land a blow and inflict some extra damage from that.

On the subject of rolling dice, its literally a case of picking whichever two dice suit you and ditching the rest, so if you prefer a double thats fine but you only get to roll two additional dice not the two plus the extra skill dice. Skills will increase your chances of a) getting a double and/or b) getting a high roll now, whilst before they just substituted for stats (at best) or nullified a non skilled penalty. Maybe in the future certain skills or options will be available to use the extra dice in the event of a double but that might be inviting bother with huge mega rolls deciding things rather than stats and player decisons.

In Lionhearts case losing the martial arts linked to speed seems like a big drop but there are ways round that. In line with his mental powers something like mental blast with no range and dex as av should do the trick. I'm hoping to get time on Sunday to rejig the characters to suit these new rules.

In any case using hero points will be a far simpler thing now. You decide whether to buy bonus dice (6 for one, 13 for two, 21 for three, 30 for four etc) and whether to absorb damage with last ditch defence, that's about it (unless we come up with other easy to use options that speed up gameplay). Advancement will be cheaper and faster hopefully. I will look at the costs and when doling hero points out take them into account.

Note that while you can use extra dice from skills and spend hero points, the skill dice come first. Lets say you have three skill dice to roll and buy another with hero points. Effectively you have four extra dice so it will cost 30 hero points for that 4th die,so its not worth it (unless you are desperate to succeed!). Skills in this new method have the following benefits:

1) save you a bundle of hero points by giving you free dice when you use the skill
2) cancel out any unskilled use for the skill simply by paying for base cost (so you can buy skill at level 0 if you want, just means you 'get by' withthat skill rather than show any aptitude)
3) by ditching the link skills actually mean something now rather than being linked to stats and therefore providing no real benefit over using the stat aside from the unskilled use penalty. If you have high stats (e.g. Batman) a linked skill will cost a lot of points for what is basically a means to cancel out a penalty. Now they will give him a far better chance of success than he had before.

Remember all of this is in the planning stage at the moment but if everyone is ok with it the rules should be easy to integrate straight away once the characters have been recosted. Haunt will be easy as the costs are shown on his sheet, just need to check Frostbite and Lionhearts sheets if they list costs too. If so its a case of using those points to buy unlinked versions of the skills and any left over to improve existing stuff at initial character creation rates. Basically, all characters will improve and the are few (if any) downsides that i can think of.
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  dunecat Fri Nov 13 2015, 06:48

Hey Paul, I wasn't able to get a hold of the BoH book again. Would you mind looking up the rules for I believe its called something like 'Creativity Limit'. It's a drawback that effects the various Manipulation powers. Basically means you have to actually understand how something is made in order to make it using that kind of power, I just don't remember the exact implications of it.

dunecat

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Fri Nov 13 2015, 07:54

I can copy/paste the page when i get home. Basically for -1fc you take the highest ap mental stat and add 1ap for any artist, science type skill then look on a chart to see the maximum complexity of items you can create. Someone like Guy Gardner can turn out mechanic vehicles. A 'mary sue' like kilowog can churn out far future technology, in addition to being super strong, tough, smart blah blah. Can't copy/paste the page section for some reason *grumble android mutter* but will do so later.
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  dunecat Fri Nov 13 2015, 09:06

That's about what I figured.

For the moment, here's a rough outline created in a vacuum with out much story to tie it together yet.

Dex 8(70) Str 3(12) Body 8(60)
Int 8(70) Will 7(48) Mind 9(72)
Infl 8(70) Aura 5(24) Spirit 6(36)

total:462

Powers

Energy Absorption 5 [25/5: 45]
- Absorbed Energy Adds to Power Reserve +3

Force Field 4 [30/6: 48]

Sealed Systems 7 [5/5: 45]

Solar Sustenance 14 [5/1: 37]

Force Manipulation 10[75/10: 235]

Life Sense 10 [35/4: 99]

Mind Field 4 [20/6(4): 32]
-Self only -2FC

Power Reserve 10 [150(75)/10(5): 165]
- Must be Fueled by Energy Absorption -75BC/-5FC;

(Energy Absorption, Force Field, Force Manipulation,

Regeneration (+10HP)

Regeneration 4 [25/8: 41]

Magic Field 7 [20/6(4): 52]
- Self Only -2

Total: 799/1261

Skills

Acrobatics 1 [15/7: 19]

Artist 3 [5/8(2): 9]
- Visual Artist only -6FC

Charisma 3 [20/6: 32]

Martial Artist 4 [25/6: 43]

Scientist 3 [10/5: 20]

Thief 1 [10/8(3): 12]
-Stealth Only -5FC

Vehicles 1 [5/5: 8]

Weaponry 7 [5/6: 53]

Total 196/1457

Advantages:

Genius [25]

Insta-Change [5]

Lightning Reflexes [20]

Popularity [20]

Scholar: Martial Arts [10]
Scholar: Future-Tech [10] (Not actually future technology, just the kind of somewhat out there stuff people come up with that is considered to not be possible by most people, but that is actually being done by someone. Like fusion reactors and putting out fires using sound)

Total 90/1547

Drawbacks:

Age [15]

Limelight [25]

Secret ID [10]

Total -50/1497

dunecat

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Sat Nov 14 2015, 05:26

At first glance seems ok Ryan. I note that whilst the Force Manip sneaks up to 20 it's on the back of energy absorption, so will get a read/refresh on that.

Updates tonight.

On the rules change/refresh I may need to do a little bit of tweaking to those skills that modify stats (notably martial artist) in certain ways. Aside from the change to Action checks (dice instead of replacing Acting value) those skills that alter stats may have to be tweaked, so they give a bonus to stats instead. I will do some math stuff at some point.

Off to a car show (NEC in Birmingham) today, so will face a long day of driving through rain and putting up with a couple of mates whose job is to wind me up incessantly. Dunno why I bother...
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  dunecat Sat Nov 14 2015, 06:05

While it's true that Force Manipulation can get up to 20.. it's also true that those Aps would have to be slip between whatever power I'm trying to accomplish and the Body of the gadget created, never mind making something with multiple powers.

That said, I'm also considering just ditching several powers and going with just Force manipulation.

Edit: Like so!

Spoiler:

dunecat

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Sun Nov 15 2015, 23:38

Probably prefer the second version, Once you've cooked up the background (or something to get us started with) I'll get a new thread started.

Plans to post up this weekend took a hit when the little one (5 yr old) took ill with flu. He's not going to school tomorrow so I've been press ganged into looking after him. In between holding a tissue to his face and playing his video games for him I should have time to update.

In the meantime, some bedtime reading. Draft version 1 of the rule changes. I need to find my copy of Blood of Heroes to work through all of the skills to tweak and adjust the rules for certain skills. Dodging has changed for Acrobatics, and Martial Artist is different than the one listed in DC Heroes 3rd Edition I have sat next to me, so need to take a quick look.

Basically, the changes are:

1) Ditch the table. Target Number is 11 + Opposing Value. If you roll equal to or greater than the target number you succeed ('hit' in combat). The more you succeed, the harder you hit.

2) Hero Point use has changed. You buy Bonus Dice to roll instead of increasing Acting/Opposing/Effect/Resistance values now. Bonus dice are rolled in addition to the normal 2D10, and you pick which two dice results to use and discard the rest. Various other tweaks with regards Hero Points.

3) Skills can't be linked. They either substitute for your attribute or give bonus dice, your choice when you use the skill. Some skills have individual rules and tweaks.

Take a look. Open to suggestions and there may be glaring faults in there that I've missed. It's version 1, so hopefully by version 58 we'll have something that doesn't put people to sleep when reading it...

PROPOSED HOUSE RULES v1
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  dunecat Mon Nov 16 2015, 00:32

Background cooking is pretty much done, as always its the writing part that is troublesome. That'll have to wait until after D&D tonight! I got shiny new dice to throw at my players! Very Happy

dunecat

Back to top Go down

Post  Steeple_jackuk Mon Nov 16 2015, 16:02

OK read through the rules and by and large I like the straightforward simplified rules. Where numbers are not compared on a table but drawn straight from the characters to determine success or failure. I also like that skills mean something. In the abstract, this all seems good and its hard (with my limited comprehension) to see any real drawbacks, but I guess it will become more evident as we get to play it. However I suspect it will be even more evident to you Paul, than us, as you'll do a lot more of the dice and number crunching than us.

In any case I'm all for giving it a spin, because as it is we don't really need to change anything. I take it that burn out (and not just double 1) is still a factor when you roll low. I suspect that having this here for reference shall be fine, but when it comes down to it, take it as read that where I miss an opportunity to do something included in the rules and I've not specified it, it's down to old age affraid

Thanks mate

Sj
Steeple_jackuk
Steeple_jackuk
Cosmic Level

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Mon Nov 16 2015, 21:20

I will get stuck into recosting the characters and till that process is done consider me happy to cut you guys some slack with regards rules, results and what you can do to get stuff done. As we are in the 'testing' phase I am happy to take any comments on board and change things if and when required. Right, to the character sheets, Batman! *swish* down the bat pole...

Oh, and I need to take a good hard look at the costs of improving stuff. As it is when the characters are recosted you may have extra points to spend and I will offer you suggestions on what to improve. They will be costed at the original (cheapest) way of buying stats rather than the 'in play' way of improving stuff which is slower and more expensive, so if you wanted more Body or higher Str or Int or even a new power for your character, you might be pleasantly surprised.
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Mon Nov 16 2015, 22:03

Still adding bits for the rules changes. For example:

Admin wrote:Other Rules
Where a column shift is mentioned (such as going for broke or for unskilled use) double the number to find the modifier to the relevant Acting/Opposing/Effect/Resistance values. For example:

Critical Blow is listed as giving +2 Column Shifts to the Opposing value and -3 Column Shifts to the Resistance Value. In the new rules this equates to +4 opposing value and -6 to Resistance value.

Example: Haunt is battling a Shadow Demon with Dex 6, Body 12. His Dex (9) and Str (13) are used in a Critical Blow attempt against the Shadow Demon. Normally the target number would be 11 + Dex =17, so requiring only a roll of 8 or more for Haunt to land a blow for 1 point of damage if he rolls 8 (Str 13 - Body 12 = 1 RAP). However after going for the critical blow the Target Number is now 11 + Dex (6) + 4 (critical blow) for a total of 21. He needs to roll 12 or more (plus his Dex 9) to land a blow, but if he does his opponents Reistance is reduced by 6 points, from 12 down to 6. If he rolls 12, he does 7 points of damage! Now that's more like it!

Note that is actually slightly less damage than would have been inflicted in the original rules, but when stats get higher up the range the groups on the columns get larger and the damage evens out (from what little time I used to glance at the table). Only at the lower end of the table, so street level to mid level, do the new rules turn out weaker than the originals. Or that seems to be the case so far. I'm ok with it at any rate as there is no looking up the table every time I want to resolve something, and that's saving me a stack of time.

More later.
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Steeple_jackuk Mon Nov 16 2015, 22:15

[quote="Admin"]Still adding bits for the rules changes. For example:

Admin wrote:Other Rules
Note that is actually slightly less damage than would have been inflicted in the original rules, but when stats get higher up the range the groups on the columns get larger and the damage evens out (from what little time I used to glance at the table). Only at the lower end of the table, so street level to mid level, do the new rules turn out weaker than the originals. Or that seems to be the case so far. I'm ok with it at any rate as there is no looking up the table every time I want to resolve something, and that's saving me a stack of time.

More later.

Well I'm all for you being saved a stack of time. I was trying to follow through the example given above but it's late and with the critical hit I couldn't follow how the damage becomes 6 where before it was 1. I can see that the 1 is because it's the difference of the strength of the blow v the body of the receiving the blow. But I couldn't follow in the maths where the 6 came from. It must be something outside of the equation that gives you that number?

As regards to building the characters up or making or changing their powers, for me both of my characters have quite enough to remember. But developing them or adding finesse is fine. If you can give Frostbite the skill of always knowing how to lead his team with great wisdom and strategy, such that they didn't always end in up the infirmary that would be particularly useful as a skill. ;-)

Sj
Steeple_jackuk
Steeple_jackuk
Cosmic Level

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 19 of 39 Previous  1 ... 11 ... 18, 19, 20 ... 29 ... 39  Next