The Vanguard Play by Post Roleplaying Game
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Chat about the game...

+3
DavidMcMahon
dunecat
Admin
7 posters

Page 9 of 39 Previous  1 ... 6 ... 8, 9, 10 ... 24 ... 39  Next

Go down

Chat about the game... - Page 9 Empty Re: Chat about the game...

Post  dunecat Tue Sep 17 2013, 18:36

I'm playing around with using a combination of the MURPG and DC Heroes ruleset. I like how generally simple it is to make customized stuff in murpg is. I may however end up just going with the DC Heroes rules mechanically and just change the scale of what each AP represents. That's my only issue with the game, there are only 3 columns that represent the range of human ability. I'm still playing with those ideas in my head though.

As far as character go, you're all looking pretty good so far. I was looking for more archtypes as far as powers go. So far I have

Paul: Ex Solder
- encarnate elementalist

DaveM: Writer
- Powered Armor

SteepleJ (Also a David right?): Contractor/Carpenter?
- 'spiderman' archtype

So, the idea here is that you'll get powers during the game based on the archtypes you give me but without actually setting what they are. To start with at least, you can always develop what you have in any direction you want of course. What I'll need from you guys is 2-4 more fairly simple archtype type things. They can be either a concept like 'powered armor' is, or using an exsisting superhero as a template like 'spiderman', Feel free to include some specifications to clear up what you mean. From all those I'll be building a bunch of basic power/skill sets that you'll be able to find depending on your choices in game. After that you're continuing choices will add to and evolve your powerset in additon to how you develop with experiance.

Last, skill based characters shouldn't fall behind to much in this game, I'm planing to keep the scope of the game inside the human range for a fair while. For example, a character may have an energy blast power at 4. Human maximum is up to 6, having that power gives them a potent and dangerious option but doesn't make them more dangerious then someone without it is automatically. At least, that's the intention at the moment!

dunecat
Class 2 Hero (Low level superhuman)

Back to top Go down

Post  Steeple_jackuk Tue Sep 17 2013, 22:40

dunecat wrote:
SteepleJ (Also a David right?): Contractor/Carpenter?
- 'spiderman' archtype

So, the idea here is that you'll get powers during the game based on the archtypes you give me  but without actually setting what they are. What I'll need from you guys is 2-4 more fairly simple archtype type things. 
Hey mate, yeah Dave is my Secret Identity name.  

Anyway in terms of archtype terms:

Agile, agility
Wall crawler*
Line swinger, swings from building to building but more grapple gun, like Batman
Engineer - background mechanical 
Spider sense* 
Regeneration*

Note weakness when not in contact with earth, wood, water or rock/mineral based elements, i.e. steel or other metals, glass etc, these powers cease to function.  

Hope that is good enough, I know what I want him to be, however how he gets there well that is up to you. I had an origin story as I indicated but that depends on how you want to set things up and may stray too much into the territory you want to set.  But otherwise this is good.  

His dad was a Steeplejack, can see [url= http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Steeplejack]here[/url] but this guy, second generation was and is an engineer, works in big plants and factories like a steel mill.  Anyway that is how I saw him.

Sj
Steeple_jackuk
Steeple_jackuk
Cosmic Level

Back to top Go down

Post  dunecat Tue Sep 17 2013, 23:23

You know, I think I might not have been quite clear. I picked the idea for this up from a game I was in years ago. We were playing the Buffy/Angel Unisystem game and we were all creating normals. We were asked to come up with 3 things we wanted our characters to become, I think my list looked something like this.

Tobias
- Enchanter (not spellcasting, but making enchanted items)
- Demonic hybrid (partial posession or some kind of experimental fusion or something along those lines)
- Initative training (basically a branch of the military dedicated to hunting down monsters)

As we went through the game we had no idea what was going to happen to our characters as far as what they would become. One of us was turned into a were wolf, one turned out to be from a family of watchers and the third was starting to get into witchcraft. The game didn't last long enough to get into what the other three of us would have picked up, likely because we had picked more powerful concepts that were being saved for a later 'season'

What I'm trying to do here is capture a similar feel. A super Hero type example might include

- non PA tech (the more techy incarnations of Batman, or Gear from Static Shock come to mind)
- Electrical Control (there's plenty of examples of this around, think Static Shock or the guy from Infamous)
- demonic fusion (ghost rider is a good example, something similar to the Warlock from D&D would work too)
- Shape shifting (Ala Prototype)
- Non powered combat (Batman, Electra, Dare Devil, anyone who fights without using direct powers)

It's a pretty diverse list, gives me lots to play with and its quite open to being moulded into a form that works for my game. In a more sci fi setting 'demonic fusion' might actually end up being caused by an extra dimensional alien. Non Powered Combat could be the result of hard training, or a Matrix style mind/machine download.. or a telepathic transfer from a dying hero. Non PA tech could actually be magic, or something like Green Lanterns constructs. Electrical Control and Shape Shifting are fairly straight forward, but I could cause them through any number of means.

It also opens up combinations of stuff, Non PA tech, Electrical Control and Non powered combat go together great. Give someone the power to generate electrical current inside of electricaly powered objects, give them a bunch of high tech gadgets that work because they use the character as a battery, and then the training to use their fancy gadgets effectively.

Perhaps someone's selfless sacrifice to contain a powerful demon gives them great powers, one of which is to alter their body shape and composition at will? Demonic fusion and shape shifting rolled together into an interesting package.

That's the kind of stuff I'm looking to do with you guys. It's why I was asking for a Joe Normal character rather then a designed super. It's also why this is referred to as a 'Power Package' style game. You're kind of entering the lottery by doing this, though you have a fair bit of control over the results by what kind of input you give me.

Does that clear up what I meant:?:  Very Happy 

dunecat

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Tue Sep 17 2013, 23:35

Just so I understand, you're after a list of six attributes/traits/power sets that you can pick from to allocate to our character? or have I got the wrong on the the stick?

Anyway, six...

Super Strength (derived from exo skeleton, powered vest, special pill, magic ring etc)
Liquid Form (be it sand, water, acid, gas etc)
Molecular Chameleon (change body/strength to take on the properties of a material substance)
Strategist (know when and where to strike, and use team to best effect)
Matter transmuter (say a glove that transforms inorganic matter into energy which can then be used to deliver a powered punch)
Jury Rigging (MacGuyver style, making rocket launchers out of rolled up newspaper and sticky tape Smile )

I may have gotten wrong end of stick - just finished an 11 hour shift and my eyeballs are falling out...

Admin
Admin
Admin

https://darkeningshadows.darkbb.com

Back to top Go down

Post  dunecat Wed Sep 18 2013, 00:27

So, first off. Thanks for the patience while I sort out the miscommunication here guys. I appreciate it.

Secondly. Nope. Razz 

I'm wanting more general Paul. I want a normal human character, and then several options of what kind of powers to give each of you. Not specific powers in the form of 'power x, power y and power z' but general powers 'theme x, theme y, theme z'.

In your last post you essentially gave me:

- Sandman archtype
- military training experiance
- high levels of tech/ingenuity

Two of those could easily be covered by your normal human background. Razz

That clear it up a little bit better?

dunecat

Back to top Go down

Post  Steeple_jackuk Wed Sep 18 2013, 07:26

dunecat wrote:So, first off. Thanks for the patience while I sort out the miscommunication here guys. I appreciate it.

Secondly. Nope. Razz 

I'm wanting more general Paul. I want a normal human character, and then several options of what kind of powers to give each of you. Not specific powers in the form of 'power x, power y and power z' but general powers 'theme x, theme y, theme z'.

In your last post you essentially gave me:

- Sandman archtype
- military training experiance
- high levels of tech/ingenuity

Two of those could easily be covered by your normal human background. Razz

That clear it up a little bit better?

Ok I think I'll have another go, I am struggling to think how to put Steeplejack in a way that doesn't straight jacket you.  Which is a shame because that is what I like to play.  However I realise its good sometimes to go against type and I liked the way you described the characters evolving.  

So...

Scientist/engineer type 
Hand to hand combatant
Skills based

I hope that is ok, otherwise you might as well give us three different lists with 10 items and each and I'll pick what suits me best mate.  

Sj
Steeple_jackuk
Steeple_jackuk
Cosmic Level

Back to top Go down

Post  dunecat Wed Sep 18 2013, 20:44

I think you just hit the nail on the head SJ. You all seem to be making heroes and then adding a secret ID to them. In essence, making Spider-man and then creating Peter Parker to go with him. I want Peter Parkers along with a group of possible power sets that you think are interesting or would like to see for your character.

Using Parker as an example lets say his player gave this list

- tank/charger
- insect based
- flight
- non PA tech
- alien powers

In the normal continuity he got the 'insect based' powers and became Spiderman. However say he took a job from the paper as a test subject for an experimental process and became the Rhino instead? Or designed a flight system and became the Vulture? Or some other tech stuff ala the Wizard? And we all know that for a while he had greater powers due to the symbiotic alien that became Venom.

Depending on his choices and events in the story we could have had five very different versions of Peter Parker. All with the same person at the core. That's what I want to explore here. This isn't a list of traits that your character will have when 'complete' it's a list of essentially 3-5 separate heroes that your character may become over time.

dunecat

Back to top Go down

Post  Steeple_jackuk Wed Sep 18 2013, 21:03

dunecat wrote:I think you just hit the nail on the head SJ. You all seem to be making heroes and then adding a secret ID to them. In essence, making Spider-man and then creating Peter Parker to go with him. I want Peter Parkers along with a group of possible power sets that you think are interesting or would like to see for your character.

Using Parker as an example lets say his player gave this list

- tank/charger
- insect based
- flight
- non PA tech
- alien powers

In the normal continuity he got the 'insect based' powers and became Spiderman. However say he took a job from the paper as a test subject for an experimental process and became the Rhino instead? Or designed a flight system and became the Vulture? Or some other tech stuff ala the Wizard? And we all know that for a while he had greater powers due to the symbiotic alien that became Venom.

Depending on his choices and events in the story we could have had five very different versions of Peter Parker. All with the same person at the core. That's what I want to explore here. This isn't a list of traits that your character will have when 'complete' it's a list of essentially 3-5 separate heroes that your character may become over time.
 Ok so is what I wrote enough?  Otherwise lets go with your list for Peter Parker, I liked playing Steeplejack because he was my take on a British Spiderman of sorts.  Anyhow since you said you only wanted three items i hope that is enough.  If not

Go with:

- tank/charger
- insect based
- flight
- non PA tech
- alien powers.  

I think that the others are slow to chime in, tells us that providing a list might make this easier.  Just a suggestion.  

Anyway when do we get started.  enough talk already lets play. 

Sj
Steeple_jackuk
Steeple_jackuk
Cosmic Level

Back to top Go down

Post  dunecat Wed Sep 18 2013, 21:52

I'm waiting to hear back from paul on some administrative stuff. I'll put together a little questionnaire for everyone to fill out so I can build your character sheets tonight though, and if I have the time a little primer on the world. If things go well we should be able to get rolling tomorrow or the day after!

dunecat

Back to top Go down

Post  Steeple_jackuk Wed Sep 18 2013, 22:35

dunecat wrote:I'm waiting to hear back from paul on some administrative stuff. I'll put together a little questionnaire for everyone to fill out so I can build your character sheets tonight though, and if I have the time a little primer on the world. If things go well we should be able to get rolling tomorrow or the day after!
Excellent.
Steeple_jackuk
Steeple_jackuk
Cosmic Level

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Wed Sep 18 2013, 23:11

What do you need in terms of admin stuff? Mod status or something? Happy to give all you guys that... if I can figure out how to do it.

Hang on... Let's have a dig (been a while)
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  dunecat Wed Sep 18 2013, 23:14

Alright, if everyone is still interested in giving this a shot after that whole back and forth bit. Here's what I'll want to know about your character.

Non Statistical Stuff

Name:

Physical Description:

Occupation/What they do:

Relations: (This is anyone important to them that would be an NPC. Family, friends, co workers, that kind of thing.)

History:

A Secret your character knows: (This is optional and should be sent via pm if you decide to post your form publicly)

A Secret your character does not know: (Also optional, this is something important to your character that they do not know about but that you and I will. This should also be kept to pms if your form is filled out publicly)

Any other problematic things: (This can be as simple as needing minor corrective glasses, to as extensive as having a crazed stalker ex. This is essentially the drawbacks section of the character sheet.)

Stats

Humans will have Attributes and Skills ranging from 1-6, though some may poses low impact powers such as fortune telling as well. An ability at 1 point is on the low end of average, 2 is roughly normal and so on up to 6 which is the peak of human ability. As an example a person with 6 strength can lift 1000 lb over their head. (my enter button seems to have stopped working.. I'll be editing this to continue once I sort that out)

dunecat

Back to top Go down

Post  dunecat Wed Sep 18 2013, 23:16

Looks like the board didn't like me spacing things so much. Continuing on though what I would like for you all to do is give me a number based on what you think would be appropriate for your character in each of these areas. Don't worry about ability costs and everything, I'll track that and get back to everyone on how things come out cost wise.

Attributes: (This should look familiar)

Dex Str Body
Int Will Mind
Inf Aura Spirit

Using the same general array of attributes that Pauls game does, keep in mind that everything operates on a 1-6 scale. Using Strength as a guideline again, a 1 means you cannot lift more then 50 pounds and a 6 is anything up to around 1,000.

Skills:

This is where you would put anything your character knows how to do. Several typical examples include

Acrobatics
Close Combat
Ranged Combat
Technology
Computers
General Knowledge (specifically lets you ask me questions about what's happening in the game)
Vehicle Operations/Handling
Social Skills
Business Skills
Leadership
Statesmanship
Dance/any form of performing
Theif
Black Ops
Hunting/Tracking

These are the basics I'll be able to quickly price and put into a character sheet, however if they don't cover what you need then feel free to pitch me something new or different. I once made a character who had Vinification as a skill (that's the name for growing wine grapes and making wines by the way). You could throw anything from sword swallowing to juggling to biochemistry to.. well anything you can come up with. There is also the Inventing action, however that lets you creat anything you can come up with. The problem there is I don't want people running around in an Iron Man suit or forcefield belt right of the burn. If you must be able to make things I'll cook up something to let you do so without also opening the door to the crazy super tech that Invention does.

Last edited by dunecat on Wed Sep 18 2013, 23:32; edited 2 times in total

dunecat

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Wed Sep 18 2013, 23:25

Have made you a moderator Dune, as well as Smaug (Ross). Dave E and M were already moderators (but probably didn't know it, or forgot, or didn't need to use it). Have also set up a game section (under the Lore Knights forum) and will jazz it up as you require once you have titles etc sorted out. Makes it a bit easier on the eye Smile
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  DavidMcMahon Wed Sep 18 2013, 23:37

So you want three attributes/skills of a normal human and a vague idea of power groupings?

Then let's try this with my guy.
1 So my guy's a writer of scifi and fantasy fiction.
2 He also versed in Latin and ancient Greek and has read the classics in their original languages. He is currently working on his knowledge of the old Norse languages, spoken and written.
3 He likes to drive fast cars.
[based very vaguely off what little I know of the writer named David Drake]

power set idea:
1. Power Armor
2. Mystic Artifact or spell that gives him powers [Thinking Shazam/Captain Marvel or 1950s/early 1960s Blue Beetle who had a mystic scarab that gave him powers or Sargon the Sorcerer who can control/change anything he touches while he wears the Ruby of Life.]
3. The Destroyer from the hundred-odd Destroyer books. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Destroyer_(fiction)
DavidMcMahon
DavidMcMahon
Cosmic Level

Back to top Go down

Post  dunecat Wed Sep 18 2013, 23:44

Thanks Paul, now I just need to figure out how to work that end of things. I'll start moving my documentation stuff over to that section.

One last note on the character form, Skills also range from 1-6. Using Close Combat as a guideline your average trained solder will have 1-2 at least, with specifically trained foot solder types being able to easily get a 3 and justify getting a 4. 5-6 is reserved for the Bruce Lee types People who dedicate their lives to martial arts. Translating to other skills, your average doctor will have 2-3 in medicine, the average computer programmer a 2-3 in computers and so on.

Also, you have the power bit down perfectly DaveM. As for your basic character, see the big form I put up in my last two posts (and added a note just above here for as well). From the look of it though he'll have General Knowledge with a speciality in european myth, as well as Social skills with specialities in greek and latin (that's how you pick up extra languages). You get one speciality per level. Though I wasn't going to get into those until I got the first form back. =P I'd also peg him for having Vehicle Operations/Driving to be able to handle a car outside of normal traffic conditions.

As a fun note, he should fit right in with several of the plot elements I'm cooking up Very Happy

dunecat

Back to top Go down

Post  dunecat Wed Sep 18 2013, 23:45

One other thing. If anyone really really wants a list of powers.. set aside a few minutes and click over here

http://powerlisting.wikia.com/wiki/List_of_Supernatural_Powers_and_Abilities

dunecat

Back to top Go down

Post  DavidMcMahon Wed Sep 18 2013, 23:56

Yeah, I saw the form after I posted. Guess it went up while I was considering my original reply. Will work on it a bit later.
DavidMcMahon
DavidMcMahon
Cosmic Level

Back to top Go down

Post  dunecat Thu Sep 19 2013, 00:02

No problem, take your time. For the future though. Paul was kind enough to put together a OOC thread. If there's any more questions and such or if anyone wants to post that forum back with it filled out on the boards, lets move over there. That way we can keep this area for the Vanguard game.

dunecat

Back to top Go down

Post  Steeple_jackuk Thu Sep 19 2013, 07:57

dunecat wrote:No problem, take your time. For the future though. Paul was kind enough to put together a OOC thread. If there's any more questions and such or if anyone wants to post that forum back with it filled out on the boards, lets move over there. That way we can keep this area for the Vanguard game.

Ok here is mine I will PM you the secrets stuff

Non Statistical Stuff

Name: John Gibbs

Physical Description:  John is athletic, but not lean not bulky.  He is of average height.  He is handsome in a plain looking way, with blond shoulder length hair (which he gets teased about repeatedly since returning from Switzerland some years ago) and green eyes. 

Occupation/What they do:  John is a Engineer, staring out in the Steele industry he moved across first to oil rig platforms before moving onshore spending several years working in Switzerland and other countries finding new ways to drill for oil in an environmentally conscious way. 

Relations: John isn't married, but came close.  His financee (Lucy) called off their wedding, when he took the posting to Switzerland.  She is in a stable long term relationship, but John never really got over her.

John is very close to his Dad, Johann, (he is swiss, hence the connection to Switzerland earlier) and his mum (Lorrie), who is recovering from cancer.  He Skypes them most weekends when he is on a rig or when he is in some country or another travelling.  He is looking for someplace to settle down and has been looking for a more settled position, perhaps in research so he can go back and do a PHD.

History: 

Stats
Dex4Int6Inf4
Str4Will4Aura5
Body4Mind4Spirit5

Skills: 
Close Combat: 5
Computers: 4
Technology: 3 
Engineering: 5
Running: 5 (John runs Marathons for fun)
Steeple_jackuk
Steeple_jackuk
Cosmic Level

Back to top Go down

Post  dunecat Thu Sep 19 2013, 19:56

So, I'm moving conversation about my game over to the thread for it over here: https://darkeningshadows.darkbb.com/t147-ooc-section#7783

Just to keep things organized. Head on over to follow up with things!

dunecat

Back to top Go down

Post  dunecat Thu Sep 19 2013, 22:19

Sorry it took so long to get an actual post for the game up by the way Paul. I had a hard time figuring out what to do untill I looked over my character sheet and spotted Dimension Travel there. Very Happy 

dunecat

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Thu Sep 19 2013, 23:51

Am rushing (15 mins then have to hit sack to begin groundhog day again). As moderator you should be able to add new posts into your forum Ryan. Will take a look at Dave Es character to get an idea of what you want from us. I figure stats in the range of 2 (normal human) 3 (above average, works out, college education), 4 (professional athlete, college tutor) 5 (famous athlete, renowned scientist) 6 (world famous athlete - the top of their game, scientist who changes the ideas of what is considered science 'law', like Einstein, Newton, Da Vinci and so on). That about right? Sounds like a low/street level game to start with so I guess the super stuff comes later and it doesn't really matter if the stats seem low right now, yeah?

Will post in the other thread. If it seems rushed, it's because... well, I am rushing!
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  dunecat Fri Sep 20 2013, 00:12

You've got it right there Paul. Street level is really what I'm aiming for. Even with powers they'll be 'street level'. The TV show Heroes is a good example, as are many of the characters from the older one Mutant X. Your character might pick up flame project say, but it will only be at 3 or 4 to start with.

The trick will be figuring out how to use what you have to overcome challenges and find your way through the rapidly changing world you'll find yourselves in. Very Happy 

dunecat

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Sat Sep 21 2013, 23:51

Had all sorts of bother with internet connection today. Couldn't online bank, google was taking ages to come up, various fast as lightning websites were giving errors, Youtube not responding etc. So much for 120mb broadband, it felt like dial up (from the days of 14.4, quite a way back now). Using the dongle now but run out of time. Will get chance to update tomorrow, so apologies for that but it looks like my home internet is fubar. Last time (about a month ago) someone else on the street reported it and hopefully someone has done the same again so it'll be fixed by the time I get home around 18.30 tomorrow. If not I have the dongle (though I know from experience this week it doesn't work great in Redcar, the land of foundries and industrial heavy plantworks. When people say 'it's grim up north' they mean Redcar, I'm sure of it) so can post - maybe - when at work (with flaky connection) and definitely when at home.
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 9 of 39 Previous  1 ... 6 ... 8, 9, 10 ... 24 ... 39  Next