The Vanguard Play by Post Roleplaying Game
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Lore Knights ride again! Morning Star Issue #1

3 posters

Page 5 of 6 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Go down

The Lore Knights ride again! Morning Star Issue #1 - Page 5 Empty Re: The Lore Knights ride again! Morning Star Issue #1

Post  DavidMcMahon Mon Jun 27 2011, 03:06

MORNINGSTAR & BUCCANEER & BOWCASTER

"I agree, we don't want to be caught between a hard growling thing and that whirlwind of magic!" And with that Bowcaster floated up so that he had a better aim over the heads of the others. "Shall I scout ahead, less chance of triggering traps from up here?" He added.

"Bet He doesn't run into a pretty bird," Morningstar says to Buccaneer, as their fellow Lore Knight heads down the corridor. "Couldn't stand it if BOTH of you get the girls!"
DavidMcMahon
DavidMcMahon
Cosmic Level

Back to top Go down

The Lore Knights ride again! Morning Star Issue #1 - Page 5 Empty Re: The Lore Knights ride again! Morning Star Issue #1

Post  Admin Thu Jun 30 2011, 15:52

OOC Apologies for the delay chaps. Only a short 'bump' to get us going with this but we'll see the adventure through then see what's next for the Lore Knights (I want to throw another system at you guys). On the whole I think the DC system is pretty good, but there may be ones out there which are easier and involve the player more. Details later Smile

Bowcaster took aim at the creature. It stood there, without even attempting to dodge, and the Bowman felt sure his aim was accurate! Only... his arrow fizzled and 'petered out' before it got within 5m of that baleful glare! Then the creature started walking again towards the Lore Knights position! Bowcaster felt his limbs go leaden, and his bow vanished into thin air! There was a metallic clatter as the sword he'd used to become Bowcaster bounced on the floor! He snatched it up, struggling with the weight (he was a Professor after all) and started running back to the others. He appeared to have crossed some kind of invisible line as suddenly the bow replaced the sword, and he was clad once more in his Bowcaster garb, his body changed to be lithe and muscle bound again! Satisfying his curiosity, Bowcaster took a couple of steps back, towards the creature and once more, was transformed into a mild mannered professor holding a heavy sword!

Another step back, make that three as the creature was slowly shambling towards the group, and he was restored!

Buccaneer sped up. "I don't like the look of that! And unless I'm mistaken it seems to be 'switching off' the magic of your sword somehow!"

The Skeletal Pirate, Roberts, looked up . "Eh? Turn magic off you say? Tis magic that's holding me an the boys together! If that thing gets a good look at us, we'll be a pile o bones in no time!"

Buccaneer quipped "Thankfully it's not that fast, but is it getting closer. What do we do, if we can't target it directly? Maybe it's gaze can be distracted somehow...But what on earth could distract that thing?"

"I know what would distract me!" cackled a skeleton in the ranks. "A flagon o mead and a wench on me knee!" Despite the seriousness of the situation there was all round laughter, which tailed off when they saw the creature inching forwards...
Admin
Admin
Admin

https://darkeningshadows.darkbb.com

Back to top Go down

Post  DavidMcMahon Thu Jun 30 2011, 17:51

Buccaneer quipped "Thankfully it's not that fast, but is it getting closer. What do we do, if we can't target it directly? Maybe it's gaze can be distracted somehow...But what on earth could distract that thing?"

"I know what would distract me!" cackled a skeleton in the ranks. "A flagon o mead and a wench on me knee!" Despite the seriousness of the situation there was all round laughter, which tailed off when they saw the creature inching forwards....

"Lemme try something," Morningstar said, He took out a new cigar of his apparently limitless supply and lit it and began puffing away. Soon a fog of smoke enshrouded him, extending out some distance. "Let's see if he can affect what he can't see," he said from inside the fogbank.

ooc: Might as well see if this can do more than be a nice creepy affect
DavidMcMahon
DavidMcMahon
Cosmic Level

Back to top Go down

Post  Steeple_jackuk Thu Jun 30 2011, 17:55

Admin wrote:Buccaneer quipped "Thankfully it's not that fast, but is it getting closer. What do we do, if we can't target it directly? Maybe it's gaze can be distracted somehow...But what on earth could distract that thing?".

OOC: Dave posted at the same time as me, so if you want to try that and apply what I say if it doesn't work that is fine.

"Yes I think your right, it has a giant eye, which may be the source of its aura or field. If we can attack it from behind whilst its focused elsewhere, we may discover if it has a weakness."

Looking around at the layout, Bowcaster continued. "If the good captain here were to act as bait...and you'll have to stay a good 10 or 20' feet from that eye, and the rest of us hide back here where we can follow and then come upon it from behind?"

OOC:

There is a corridor going north, if we withdraw in a Westerly direction let the thing chase the Skeletons north and then come up behind it might work for a bit.

As regards a new system, I've found it hard to get my head around the DC system I like rolling dice, but the math kind of leaves me a little fuzzy and I'd got d10s and d20 mixed up along the way. I like that if you get a double you get exploding dice, but I so rarely get a double it can work both ways as well. Anyhow, I'm interested in finding out more. What have you in mind Paul?

Sj
Steeple_jackuk
Steeple_jackuk
Cosmic Level

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Mon Jul 04 2011, 23:28

The Lore Knights

OOC The math of the game actually replaces a table. If I show you this:

The Lore Knights ride again! Morning Star Issue #1 - Page 5 Action_table

What I've done is ditch the table and change the mechanic slightly. I did that so that each individual point counts rather than having them grouped in pairs, or more when they get higher up the scale. So, if you cross reference Bowcasters 8 Dex down the side with a Creatures 5 Dex along the top, the target number to equal or exceed on 2D10 is 9 or more. Using my new mechanic (Target number is 11 + Opposing Value (Creatures 5 Dex) = 16, - Acting Value (Bowcasters Dex, 8 ) = 8 or more. It gives you a better chance to hit and makes the various stats less 'samey' so 8 Dex has a better chance of success than 7 Dex, instead of the same chance with the existing table.

Anyway, the Lore Knights game on here is simply to try out new mechanics and find one that suits our needs. Whilst I'll suggest that DC Heroes will take us from Street to Cosmic level, using it with the Golden Heroes combat system has combat over in a post or two, which is a bit of an anti climax. I can tweak that, but we'll finish this mini adventure first before moving to another system. The next system I have in mind is a variant of the Marvel Universe Diceless RPG. Except with Dice. Basically you decide how much effort you want to bung into a task, roll the dice, and hope to succeed. The 'interesting' part is juggling Energy points (though they are recovered every round, not once every 5 rounds as per GH) which means you'll have to decide how offensive and defensive to be, and how much effort thrown into doing other things too. Another possible is the Marvel Saga system, which uses cards. I draw the cards, tell you what they are, you decide when to use them (they are numbered, you decide when and where to use the cards, so might save high ones to battle foes, low ones to perform less strenuous tasks). I'm not an expert on the system, but I am intrigued by it. It is well out of print (by 13 years or so I think?), so I might be ok scanning parts that explain the rules. Not strictly legal but Marvel never batted an eyelid when the Marvel Superheroes RPG was published in its entirety on the internet, and has since been ok'd by TSR and Marvel I believe...

Whilst Morningstars Fog was a magical power, the smoke it created was simply normal smoke, albeit super dense, as might be found on the foggiest mornings on the glens and moors or Scotland! The creature could cancel the power out, but not the smoke, once created!

The group split when the corridor did, the Skeletons making a racket and banging shields on the walls, calling the creature all sorts of ungodly names and casting doubts about its parentage.

"By jove, these fellows are a hoot!" said Buccaneer. "Shame they are dead, mind."

The Lore Knights retreated to wait around the corridor they'd come from, then peered through the darkness.

The creature stumbled from the thick fog back into a thinner patch, looked around, heard the clamour from the corridor to the North and shuffled through the mist towards the Skeletons!

OOC I presume you'll charge from behind? Bear in mind that Fog affects all you guys as well as the creature... All save Morningstar that is. (Where it says 'Fog does not inhibit users vision'...)

Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  DavidMcMahon Tue Jul 05 2011, 00:26

The Lore Knights

The creature stumbled from the thick fog back into a thinner patch, looked around, heard the clamour from the corridor to the North and shuffled through the mist towards the Skeletons!

OOC I presume you'll charge from behind? Bear in mind that Fog affects all you guys as well as the creature... All save Morningstar that is. (Where it says 'Fog does not inhibit users vision'...)

Charging works fine for Morningstar. Didn't figure the fog would do much but decided to try it anyways.

I'm liking the skeleton crew as well. We need to figure out a way to make them part of Buccaneer's Ghost Ship crew to keep them around. lol!
DavidMcMahon
DavidMcMahon
Cosmic Level

Back to top Go down

Post  Steeple_jackuk Tue Jul 05 2011, 07:20

The Lore Knights

DavidMcMahon wrote:Charging works fine for Morningstar. Didn't figure the fog would do much but decided to try it anyways.

I'm liking the skeleton crew as well. We need to figure out a way to make them part of Buccaneer's Ghost Ship crew to keep them around. lol!

Bowcaster hung back, notching another arrow to let fly as he drifted carefully through the fog, trying not to breath in the smoke so as not to cough.

OOC:

Roll 2d10=18 well at least that makes up for the lousy rolls I have been getting.

As regards rules systems without sitting down and taking time to read through the mechanics, its all a bit too abstract for me. I have to think about it a lot, but then in the midst of a game, where the mechanics often take a back seat to what we describe going on, I tend to forget things anyway (which dice am I meant to be rolling!). So I don't mind what we do, in one sense where I'm invested personally is trying to work out how to implement the wacky ideas I have to try and leverage as much out of our situations/powers/advantages and disadvantages to not get completely trounced by the enemy.

So I'll go with whatever Paul, as long as you don't mind arbitrating and or telling me what I need to roll. Once you are happy with a system (or hybrid system), then I am happy to invest time in learning it as I did with GH.

Sj
Steeple_jackuk
Steeple_jackuk
Cosmic Level

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Wed Jul 06 2011, 08:13

The Lore Knights

Bowcaster pulled back on his bow, essentially firing blind into the fog! Morningstar charged down the corridor, seeing an arrow zip past him into the gloom!

Through the swirling mist he heard the cries of skeletons as the magic holding them together was abruptly cancelled, followed by the clatter of bones on the hard stone floor!

As he emerged through the other side of the fog, Morningstar stopped short. The colossal body holding the oversized head was knelt, an arrow jutting straight between its shoulder blades and buried to the flight! The head, though, was floating, free of the body and the baleful glare was cast upon the skeleton crew, who were down to their last men, backing up, and up, until finally the ray caught them in it's beam too!

The eyestalks on the floating head were mostly pointed forwards, but saw Morningstar as he burst from the fog and the head started to turn!

Swinging his mace, the Lore Knight scythed a blow through the air at the vile creature, knowing that if it were to turn about, his powers would vanish, and leave him at the mercy of those other eyes, and who knew what they could do?!?

OOC 2d10=16 (Double Cool + 2d10=16 (7 and 9) total 32! Splut!

Despite the power of the thing arrayed against them, the Lore Knights once more proved no task was beyond their powers! The powerful weapon swung through the air and connected with the head, bursting it like an egg despite the armoured scales, and spraying the walls of the corridor with foul black ichor! Somewhat deflated, the head flopped to the floor and continued to leak out.

Buccaneer sprinted up, then spun on the spot, dispersing the mist before asking "Right! Let's get that...oh..."

Bowcaster joined them, prodding at the dead thing with his foot. The huge body section was knelt in the corridor, quite dead, and with an arrowhead jutting from its chest. Buccaneer moved over to the dead pirates. "Shame. These boys were quite fun to have around" he said, picking up the skull of a shattered skeleton. Suddenly, fluttering lights, motes of energy, formed around his hand and the skull, and the skeleton began to reform! He looked at his friends, then moved from skull to skull, touching it with a finger! In moments the Skeletons were whole again, working out cricks in necks and in one case righting a leg which had gone on the wrong way.

"Ahhhh lads, tis good to be back an' in one piece!" quipped Roberts. The Crew chuckled and one of them laughed out "Pardon me fer mentionin' sir, but we're in one piece, you're not!"

The last to be 'touched' by Buccaneer, the Captain was indeed in a number of pieces, spread all over having attacked the creature full on and been blasted with an eyestalk before the main eye fell on him. His head was chattering away, whilst the body was fumbling around on the floor, and his legs twitched about, trying to get up!

Moments later he was reformed, and Buccaneer shrugged "Didn't know I had it in me!"

The Captain straightened a crick in his neck and turned to the Lore Knights. "Remind me ne'er to upset you lads!" he muttered, looking at the deflated floating head. "Ah was sure that thing'd be the death of us, but the smoke seemed ta fool it. Damned if I ever saw a shot through mist like that though boy! You have an eye on ya, that's fer sure!" he turned to Morningstar, looked at the mace, then shivered.

OOC will update the map in a bit (posting from the train) and you can decide on your next objective, but we're near about the end of the dungeon romp, as it is.
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Wed Jul 06 2011, 21:44

The Lore Knights

OOC As Promised...You guys are staring up the corridor to the left and top of the picture, stood about half way up. Still coughing on Morningstars cigar smoke...

The Lore Knights ride again! Morning Star Issue #1 - Page 5 Dungeon_map_second_to_last

The Skeleton who'd been Captain Roberts an age ago scratched where whiskers might have previously been on his chin. "Now lads, I know you're real handy with them there pig stickers and that bloody mace. but ah reckon ya need some kind o warnin' as to what's comin'. To th' right, there's a room where the roof is open to th' air, out into some woods near that castle we saw yonder. That's fer the bad guy to turn out some REALLY big beasties, them that's too tall to fit in here. He wants to make an army, see, and th' weird n wild creatures, us included, are meant ta help him take over ... wherever. I only saw a map o the world once, an' it ain't that big. Besides France n Spain, an them cold places to the side o Britain, ah don't see as there's much more to go at! I remember us lot sailin' fer months wi'out seein' nowt, but it turns out th' first mate was holdin' the bloody map upside down, and th' rest o us was too drunk ta notice we was goin' in circles. Ahhhh."

The Skeletons shuffled about, looking embarrassed.

"Anyway. To the left, that's where we was 'born again'. In there's where th' magic is. Looks like a black swirlin' whirlwind, and th' fella in there ain't no pushover. I got a plan, but you ain't gonna like it."

"Tell me lads. How much do ya trust me?"
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Steeple_jackuk Thu Jul 07 2011, 07:14

The Lore Knights

Admin wrote:"Tell me lads. How much do ya trust me?"

Bowcaster looked up the corridor, back to the Captain Roberts and then at Morningstar and Buccaneer, wondering not only if he trusted the Skeletons or not. He could imagine what their plan was, for them to play possum, allowing themselves to be seemingly captured by the Skeletons to spring a trap. Truth was, the Captain and his crew seemed like a fine bunch, given they were skeletons and in their prior life, black hearted pirates. Yet for that reason, had death really brought about a change of 'heart'? Could they entrust themselves to these and pull off a daring coup over the self styled master? They'd need something to win through, that much seemed obvious.

Bowcaster returned from his reflection to look at Morningstar, a questioning look on his face.

OOC:
I think we should go with this flow, this is going to be a pretty short game, if we get killed trusting the skeletons? But its you're call Dave, I'll follow you on this one.

Sj
Steeple_jackuk
Steeple_jackuk
Cosmic Level

Back to top Go down

Post  DavidMcMahon Thu Jul 07 2011, 12:13

The Lore Knights

"Willing to give you a chance," Morningstar says shrugging.
DavidMcMahon
DavidMcMahon
Cosmic Level

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Fri Jul 08 2011, 20:39

The Lore Knights

"Cap'n?" enquired one of the Skeletons. "Is this wise? I mean, th' guy that called us, he's rotten to th' core an' all, but we DO owe him."

"Owe? Owe what? Call us back ta be slaves? nay, lad! th' Dread Pirate Roberts is no mans slave, be he alive or dead! But we'll have ta play it canny..." he turned to the Lore Knights. "hand over ya weapons lads."

Buccaneer turned to the others. "This is crazy! Can't you see he'll betray us the first chance he gets? This is bonkers! You're not having MY sword!"

The Skeleton shrugged. "Then lead th' way, but me an' th' lads ain't goin' in there. A straight fight against that bloke in his own place ain't no fight at all! Even dead eye wi' th' bow and an' slugger there wi' 'is mace can't do much 'gainst someone like him, I reckon!" he leaned in. "That's why it takes brains boy, an' trickery. An' just the slightest hint o a leap o faith. We all done it at one time or another, now it's your turn. I'm offerin' a fightin' chance, but you gotta make th' choice."

Buccaneer squirmed uncomfortably. "I don't like it. But if you two want to hand over your weapons, I'll do the same. For the record though, I think it's a mistake!"

The weapons felt strange in the Lore Knights hands. Rather than simply handing the weapons over, they would be relinquishing their powers until they took them back again!

Could they trust the Skeleton that much? Would they be better taking their chances?
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Steeple_jackuk Sat Jul 09 2011, 09:59

The Lore Knights

Admin wrote:Could they trust the Skeleton that much? Would they be better taking their chances?

Bowcaster thought about the Captain's words, it certainly sounded true, but at the same time the very thing he was telling them was the very thing they could pull to play them into being at their mercy. In the end though, Bowcaster was a man of his word. He'd agreed to following Morningstar's orders and Morningstar had agreed, so he handed out his bow to the Captain.

"Best get this over with, ah Captain!" He said looking for any hint of betrayal on the part of the Skeleton.

OOC:

You know Paul has played this well, offering us the opportunity for some advantage in exchange for our vulnerability, but boy is this ever hard. Going in and fighting to the death sounds better, to me as a player but as a Character i'd be bound to follow what Morningstar had agreed to.

Even so Bowcaster is nobodies fool, if he suspects that this is some sort of elaborate set up on the part of the Skeleton's who have proven themselves to be canny adversaries, then in giving them my bow first I'm trying to flush out anything underhand that their eagerness might betray, if this is indeed an elaborate trap.

Sj
Steeple_jackuk
Steeple_jackuk
Cosmic Level

Back to top Go down

Post  DavidMcMahon Sat Jul 09 2011, 16:52

The Lore Knights

"Best get this over with, ah Captain!" He said looking for any hint of betrayal on the part of the Skeleton.

"I'm going to start bringing a gun with me for back up," Morningstar says, turning over his morningstar. "So let's see what happens now."
DavidMcMahon
DavidMcMahon
Cosmic Level

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Tue Jul 12 2011, 05:17

The Lore Knights

Buccaneer looked at the other two, shook his head, shrugged, and handed over his weapon. Instantly the Lore Knights, having relinquished their weapons of their own free will, lost all their superhuman powers! The spy come in from the cold, Gerard St Johns, Archaeologist John Moore, and soldier turned hero Henry Peterson stood there, .feeling very vulnerable indeed at the hands of the armed Skeletons!

Roberts continued. "Guard them weapons well lads! Strange how they all turned into swords, bein' as they was a mace, bow an' rapier moments before! Right boyos, you march in front, and let's make this look convincin' eh?"

Marching down the corridor at sword point, hands up, the trio felt rather like they'd been played for fools! They continued to the top of the corridor and turned left, which led to a stone door, guarded by two large green skinned armoured humanoids.

"Prisoners fer th' master. He's gonna want ta meet this lot!" cackled the Pirate Captain.

"No one in! Them's orders!" growled the first of the guards. "And dat definitely means no bloody rotten skellies!" laughed the other. The skeletons started forward, but Roberts called them back. "Now now lads, you heard what them lads said. We'll just let the bosses enemies go then, an' when it comes time ta explain, these two can take th' heat, eh?"

The Guards snarls turned into worried looks, and they glanced at each other. One leaned into the door. "Boss! We gots us some prisoners 'ere! Them skellies wanna bring 'em in! They looks like normal blokes, no bother 'ere!"

There was a pause, then the door opened without anyone touching it...

A wind struck all those in the corridor, and it took a moment for the Lore Knights to steady themselves, now that they were normal men! With prods of the swords in the back, prompting Peterson to shout "Hey! Watch it!" they were ushered into the room.

In the centre of the room, which was roughly hexagonal, and quite large, a swirling thick column of blue light shone up through a hole in the ceiling from a pit in the floor! Knelt all about it were around a dozen naked young women, and walking from around the column a man, glowing blue and with his hands just about obscured as he held gobbets of the blue energy in his hands!

The Lore Knights ride again! Morning Star Issue #1 - Page 5 Evil_wizard

"This..." he growled "THIS...is magic! This is power! Only I can wield it correctly! And I will become the most powerful being in existence!" he cackled. He looked on the three ordinary looking fellows. The man seemed insubstantial, ghost like. . "What have we here?" He thrust a hand out, and Peterson gagged, floating in the air and clutching his throat! Blue tendrils snaked around his body, then plunged into his eyes and ears! He screamed and the tendrils left a moment later to gather in their masters hand.

"I see...Lore Knights? And, you seek to betray me? You skeletons thought to trick me? ME? You shall ALL perish in my fountain of power!" and he raised his hands.

"No! NO!" shouted the Skeleton Captain. "You see, you got it not quite right master. We wants these three to think we are workin' wi' 'em, but instead...we brought you these..."

Peterson, recovering on the floor, looked up. "You lying filthy snake! You should rot in...urk!" He was backhanded by a skeleton, flattened to the floor!

Still surrounded by supernaturally fast and strong armed guards, the Lore Knights felt helpless in the presence of the man before them! The sorcerer, for his part, smiled. "Ah yes. Captain Roberts, I believe you have outdone yourself!" he laughed, and looked as the Lore Knights weapons were placed on the floor in front of the Wizard.

Gerard St Johns cursed himself for a fool! They'd handed their weapons, and themselves, to a megalomaniac who really could control this pure untapped torrent of magic!

John Moore suspected his life would be over soon. Like St Johns he felt like a fool, but wondered if there might be some hope, somewhere, in here.

Which is when he noticed that two of the swords on the floor were the Lore Knights own weapons. The third was the Pirate Roberts cutlass... and he had the Lore Knights sword in his belt!

The Pirate Captain turned. "Sorry lads. But ah gotta go where ah reckon me lads will be best served... which means you're all doomed!"

"Where do ya want these lubbers Cap'n?" asked Roberts.

The Master smiled. "In the pit..."

The Lore Knights looked at the raging torrent of magic, and knew then that their lives would soon be over!

OOC you are guarded closely by the skeletons at sword point, unsure of whether you can trust them. Roberts seems to be playing his own game though... The Master is a powerful sorcerer, so consider your next moves carefully!
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Steeple_jackuk Tue Jul 12 2011, 08:13

The Lore Knights

Admin wrote:Which is when he noticed that two of the swords on the floor were the Lore Knights own weapons. The third was the Pirate Roberts cutlass... and he had the Lore Knights sword in his belt!

OOC:

Who is closest to Roberts? And can they make a break for the item or are we going to have to get closer to the pit, if it is me I will make a grab for it. But if not I will try and distract by throwing myself forward to distract the others so as to give them a chance to make a grab for the weapon.

Something like....

=====

"You won't get away with this you, fiend. Even now our forces are closing in on this location. Your beasts remain slain, your women captive and we are but an advanced party who will bring you down." John struggled with the skeleton captor, who despite appearances, was incredible strong. He did think of doing the unexpected and trying to act as a traitor wishing to switch sides, but realised early on that with his magically enhanced abilities, this 'man' might be able to see right through him. Even now he was buying time, knowing his bluff might not succeed.

"Stop this madness, before you and your whole group are destroyed!" John tried to wriggle free, so as to make make a dash straight at the master, knowing full well that it might cost him his life, but it might just give the others the chance to get their weapons in the confusion.

Sj
Steeple_jackuk
Steeple_jackuk
Cosmic Level

Back to top Go down

Post  DavidMcMahon Wed Jul 13 2011, 00:11

ooc: Big question is, can we tell whose sword is in the Capitan's belt?
DavidMcMahon
DavidMcMahon
Cosmic Level

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Thu Jul 14 2011, 14:59

OOC the swords are impossible to tell apart unless you can read ancient runes. Oh, look, an archaeologist Smile As to who is closer, that would be Peterson/Buccaneer, but only by inches. You are surrounded by the seemingly traitorous skeletons and Roberts is between you and the master.

The Lore Knights

The Skeleton holding John Moor (Bowcaster) had little trouble holding him in check - his strength was nigh on superhuman, at least ten times that of Moore! Even after he'd said his piece, Moore knew that brute strength alone wouldn't get him out of this, but something nagged at him. He glanced at the 10' wide torrent of blue energy flowing upwards from the pit in the floor to where it went up through a hole in the roof, but vanished 20' up.

Peterson called out "Hey! lay off on the rough stuff, alright? Ya damn traitorous ...OOF!" he was laid out by a bony fist from another skeleton, dropped and spark out where he lay! As St Johns and Moore looked at their fallen comrade, it was hard to tell whether he was alive or dead, he was so still...

"So..." said the Master. "Which of you two will die first? And what, pray tell have you brought me? Fancy trinkets? Those swords could do with a polish... especially the... eh?" He looked at the broadswords, lying beside each other, and over the top of the third sword, a gaudy looking cutlass. "What's this?" he said, looking up.

Meanwhile Moores mind raced. He recalled what he knew of myths and legends of the swords of Wayland, beyond what was in school textbooks. The swords were a magnifier of power, imparting it on the chosen wielder. Magnifier. So, it absorbed and multiplied power. Presumably when they'd imparted powers to the Lore Knights, they were using magic present at Caer Alwyn or the country itself, somehow. Moore glanced at the glowing column of magical energy. Then at the swords... but he was interrupted when the Master raised his hands, as if to cast a spell. "What's the meaning of this Roberts? Why have you taken the other mans' sword!"

OOC You can dive in here, make some kind of play, either for the swords on the floor, the Master, a skeleton guards sword or the magical torrent, or just wait and see what happens next with the Masters wrath!
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Steeple_jackuk Thu Jul 14 2011, 15:17

Admin wrote:OOC You can dive in here, make some kind of play, either for the swords on the floor, the Master, a skeleton guards sword or the magical torrent, or just wait and see what happens next with the Masters wrath![/i]

John made a dive for Robot's sword, he sought to grasp it knowing that he might well be able to use the sword to divest the master of some of his stored power, present here. Enough he hoped, not only to give him back his powers but also to place the remaining swords out of the Master's reach.

Sj
Steeple_jackuk
Steeple_jackuk
Cosmic Level

Back to top Go down

Post  DavidMcMahon Thu Jul 14 2011, 18:10

John made a dive for Robot's sword, he sought to grasp it knowing that he might well be able to use the sword to divest the master of some of his stored power, present here. Enough he hoped, not only to give him back his powers but also to place the remaining swords out of the Master's reach.

Gerard tried to use some of his unarmed combat skills to break free and dive towards the "Master" intending to tackle him.
DavidMcMahon
DavidMcMahon
Cosmic Level

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Fri Jul 15 2011, 22:11

The Lore Knights

Roberts turned, reactions far faster than Moores. He casually batted him away (OOC 10 Dex vs 2, which is Moores 'natural' Dex) with a backhand that sent Moore flying!

Gerard twisted violently, used the sudden leverage to free his hand then slipped a leg in and behind the skeleton holding him, flipping the warrior into the air to clatter down on the stone floor like a sack full of bones! As the others moved towards him he leapt at the Master - only for the man to casually raise a hand - and suddenly St Johns was floating in the air, immobilised!

"Impressive. Whoever you are, your efforts were impressive but... ultimately futile. I WILL take over this land, and from here, carve an empire for myself. As for you Roberts...?" asked the Master.

"Ah fancied a new sword...sir. Seein' as me old one was not befittin' me status an that. But if you says ah gotta hand it back, well who'm I to argue?" he pulled it from the scabbard. "Looks like an antique"

The Master narrowed his eyes and came closer. "Put it down Roberts. Now." behind him St Johns struggled helplessly against the field!

Roberts, aware of the Masters' power, did as he was bid, hands raised and stepping back.

Meanwhile John Moore blinked. That was the first surprise - that he was still alive! The second was that, those his face was number from the blow, the Captain seemed to have caught him more with a forearm to throw him backwards rather than take his head clean off, which he could have done! What kind of game was the skeleton playing?

Moore opened an eye, peering at Roberts. The Skeleton seemed to glance at the downed archaeologist though it was hard to tell with the empty sockets! Suddenly he called out "Look sharp lad!" and kicked the sword on the floor from the Masters reach to slide across to Moore!

The Master called out "What?" and thrust a hand at the sword just as the Archaeologist reached for it! The sword skittered to the side, and fell into the raging torrent of magic!

Suddenly light arced and flashed in the room, and the sword glowed brighter, and brighter, whilst the fountain started to sputter and falter! The Master wailed, and shouted "You traitorous bag of bones!" He turned to Roberts, raised a hand, and blasted the skeleton Captain from his feet!

Behind the Master the magic holding St Johns dissipated! He dropped to the floor and looked about - the Skeletons were gaping at the scattered bones that had been their Captain, at the Master who seemed somehow... 'lessened', and the glowing sword in the magic torrent which was now glowing as bright as the sun - and getting brighter!

The two remaining swords of the Lore Knights were on the floor at the Masters feet!

John Moore looked at the sword trapped in the magical fountain, keen mind deducing what had happened... the sword was some kind of sponge - it absorbed magic and imparted it to the chosen wielder, but if the wielder didn't claim it... would it continue to soak magic up?

OOC Swords, the Master, the magic fountain, the Skeletons, the door, maybe another option you can think of, but right now you guys are normal humans (stats 2, though Gerard being a former spy will have 3 on his stats) and just a single skeleton could wipe the floor with you - though Roberts brave ploy proved they may not be working for the side you thought they were - or maybe they are... We are nearly ready to 'wrap' this one gents, depending on your next actions...

Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  DavidMcMahon Fri Jul 15 2011, 22:41

The Lore Knights

The two remaining swords of the Lore Knights were on the floor at the Masters feet!

John Moore looked at the sword trapped in the magical fountain, keen mind deducing what had happened... the sword was some kind of sponge - it absorbed magic and imparted it to the chosen wielder, but if the wielder didn't claim it... would it continue to soak magic up?

OOC Swords, the Master, the magic fountain, the Skeletons, the door, maybe another option you can think of, but right now you guys are normal humans (stats 2, though Gerard being a former spy will have 3 on his stats) and just a single skeleton could wipe the floor with you - though Roberts brave ploy proved they may not be working for the side you thought they were - or maybe they are... We are nearly ready to 'wrap' this one gents, depending on your next actions...

Since the sword called to Gerard in the first place, he quickly concentrates to try to figure out which of the three is his. Once he knows that, he will make his move towards it. If he can get his hands on it, he will activate it and then try holding it over the magic energy pouring out and try to absorb it.

DavidMcMahon
DavidMcMahon
Cosmic Level

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Fri Jul 15 2011, 23:17

The Lore Knights

St Johns made a dive and snatched the sword that 'felt' right. Without a chance to say the oath that activated his powers, he thrust the blade into the magic torrent and it was snatched from his grasp, floating in the middle like the other one, which was far too bright to look at by now! The new sword started glowing as well, and the magic fountain shrunk back even further, now jutting from the floor by only a few feet!

The Skeletons in the room collapsed into piles of bones!

The Master snarled, turning. "No! What are you doing? You'll pay for this!"

He thrust a hand at St Johns...

OOC And whilst his reduced energy blast of 5 is far weaker than it was minutes ago, the roll of 13 ensures St Johns is clattered against the wall, stunned! He can't take any action in the next few seconds, save to speak!

A bolt of energy blasted Gerard from his feet to pound against the far wall!

The Master turned to the swords that were held in the magic stream, shielding his eyes from the glare. He started to reach for the nearest, muttering "Just need to... remove it!"
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Steeple_jackuk Sat Jul 16 2011, 07:38

The Lore Knights

Admin wrote:The Master turned to the swords that were held in the magic stream, shielding his eyes from the glare. He started to reach for the nearest, muttering "Just need to... remove it!"

Free at last from the grasp of the Skeletons, for a bearest breath, John thought to aid his friend, but at the Master's words he barrelled forward, he began to shout as he aimed to shove aside the master and grab the sword before he could.

"When day is dark, and Evils might, threatens to overwhelm the light, warriors will rise fighting evil evermore, The Crusaders, the new Knights of LORE!"

The light this close was dazzling, but John knew he had to stop this madness and grabbed as best he could for the sword.

Sj
Steeple_jackuk
Steeple_jackuk
Cosmic Level

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Sun Jul 17 2011, 13:52

The Lore Knights

Moore became Bowcaster the sword morphing into a bow made of translucent energy! He looked to the Master, reaching for one of the swords suspended in the magic torrent, and as his hand broke the magic stream stray beams shot out! Where they touched, plants started to grow, rocks changed colour, some transmuted into different elements, like gold or diamond, others simply vanished! Where a stray magic beam had landed there was a different, random effect each time and some of the beams lanced straight through the stone walls and floors of the old place!

There was a shudder, a rumble, and the ceiling began to crack and crumble!

"See what you've done!" screeched the Master. He turned, seeing how Moore had changed. "What? Who are... the swords! No matter, my magic is still powerful enough to ..."

A large section of ceiling crashed downwards, and only Bowcasters fast reactions allowed him to pull the prone Peterson out of the way!

"No! I must pull the swords out! They are cutting the flow of magic!" wailed the Master!

With the ceiling falling around him, the Master forgot about anything save pulling the swords from the faltering stream, and prepared to plunge his hands in again!

Bowcaster had a clear shot at the mans back, but the danger to his friends was increasing with every passing second!

If the swords were absorbing the magic of the stream, what would happen when they filled to capacity? Would his own sword, tossed into the stream, somehow close it off and 'plug' the flow? These thoughts raced through Bowcasters mind, until he turned and saw Gerard St Johns - recovering already - rise on unsteady feet and look up! There was a large section of roof about to cave in!

Stop the madman or save St Johns?
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 5 of 6 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next