The Vanguard Play by Post Roleplaying Game
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

World War II - Kitten Issue #1

2 posters

Page 2 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down

World War II - Kitten Issue #1 - Page 2 Empty Re: World War II - Kitten Issue #1

Post  Admin Thu Dec 16 2010, 17:32

Julie Avery, Secretary to the Minister of War
a.k.a. Agent Joanna Van der Berg, Code Name: Kitten

The Peelers glanced at each other. "Ah, Ms Avery, I believe our orders were to assist and protect you. We'd be remiss in our duties if we did otherwise. Besides..." they all looked about. The pub was fairly quiet. "The locals might accept our offer of free drinks for a few hours and then reveal they know nothing..."

The other Peeler spoke up. "There was something else. The fellow Brendoone mentioned. Martin McMahon. We could check him out? If you're insistent on going back to that place one of us would have to go with you. The other can check out the fellow that was previously in charge of quality control. He might shed light on what happened with the firing pins. It may have simply been his incompetence or through a genuine error. If that were the case breaking into the factory might be inadvisable, and embarrassing to smooth over should you be discovered."

Joanna thought about that for a moment, then was interrupted as the inner voice again said 'A Shadow Demon resides in that factory. For what purpose is unknown. I felt it's presence, but it may have felt mine. I am, after all, a High Princess and my power is without boundary!' The voice smacked of confidence and arrogance, but perhaps not without reason. Joanna shuddered, suddenly getting a vision of a woman dressed as a Queen, moulding the landscape about her with a thought! A creature not evil, as normal humans understood, but more... selfish, but on a scale no human could comprehend!

"Ma'am?" enquired one of the Peelers. They glanced at each other, then at Joanna. She blinked, coming back to the world with a shudder. What was the voice inside? What secrets did it hide, and what dark power did it possess? One of the Peelers pressed, a concerned look on his face. "If you are unwell, perhaps we can continue without you and you rest in the meantime whilst we make enquiries?"

Joanna blinked again. In her minds eye she saw a kindly older man, playing with his grandchildren, then later, looking on in surprise as several bruisers kicked his front door in of his house, and a shadowy figure fill the space. The man's look of fear as a bottle filled with petrol was thrown at him, and the cackling laughter "You're fired!" as the flames lit, lighting up Brendoones' laughing face before he turned to leave!

'See?' laughed the inner voice...
Admin
Admin
Admin

https://darkeningshadows.darkbb.com

Back to top Go down

World War II - Kitten Issue #1 - Page 2 Empty Re: World War II - Kitten Issue #1

Post  TDM7 Sat Dec 18 2010, 03:23

Joanna came out of her trancelike state, twitching sharply in her chair and attempting to say something which came out as unintelligible to the Peeler agents accompanying her. As the nightmarish scene turned into the more familiar setting of the pub, she relaxed immediately, but it took a while for her to stop breathing so heavily. One of the Peeler agents offered her a drink to calm her nerves but she declined.

"That was... very embarrassing," she admitted. "I'm sorry. I hope that I didn't cause that much of a scene."

After being reassured that she hadn't, Joanna advised them of the change in plans.

"You were right. We should to pay a visit to Mr. McMahon, like you suggested," she said, acknowledging the Peeler that had proposed the idea. Joanna wasn't going to reveal what she had suspected about his fate. She wanted to see if the images in her mind matched what had happened on the scene. Or was about to happen! Fortune tellers claimed to have the ability to see the future. That could also be what was happening to her -- instead of receiving a glimpse of the recent past, she might be seeing what was yet to come. If that was true, they needed to get over there as soon as possible to protect Mr. McMahon.

"We need to leave now!" she insisted, grabbing her coat and rushing for the door.

TDM7
Street Level: Hero

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Sun Dec 19 2010, 23:13

The Peelers glanced at each other and shrugged. They had an idea what Mrs Van Den Berg could do and were in no doubt as to whom was in charge of this mission. When it came to National Security and winning the war, these few outranked everyone short of the hierarchy of DICE, certain government and army officials, the royal family, and the Prime Ministers council!

"Yes, ma'am!" replied one of the Peelers. The three left the pub, then glanced about. "Taxi!" called a Peeler as the other unfurled an umbrella to hold over Joanna.

==========

Minutes later...

Joanna looked out of the window, worrying. This was taking too long!

"Ach! Traffic is lousy tae day!" said the Taxi Driver. With a couple of phone calls, and more agonizing minutes wasted, the Peelers had discovered the address of McMahon, but it was quite a distance away, on the outskirts of the city! "Looks tae be some kind o snarl up. Goes on fer a fair way!"

The trio in the back of the Taxi looked out. In the distance a thin stream of black smoke curled into the sky. The Peelers glanced at each other then at Joanna.

Minutes later the three were running through the streets even as fire engines wailed past them, bells ringing and trying to force their way through the jammed traffic!

=========

The rain pounded down, but only now started to halt the blazing inferno that had been Martin McMahons' home.

Fire crews battled to dampen down the smoldering ruins as a Peeler returned to Joannas' side. "I've flexed some diplomatic muscle. We can go in there, even before the police, which they aren't happy about. Looks like someone beat us to it."

The other Peeler, soaked by the rain, arrived. "The fire crew found this." He held up a bottle, presumably which had been filled with whisky. "They suspect McMahon had been drinking, having a smoke, and dozed off. They admit to having been slightly puzzled at how the fire could have been so fierce so quickly. McMahon is dead. Charred to a crisp." he added quietly.

Joanna looked at the gutted building. Everything pointed to an accident, even if it was unlikely. Any accusation she would make against Brendoone would be laughed at by him, and prove embarrassing for the ministry of War. How could she tell them she'd seen Brendoone at the scene, when it had taken them this long to get to the scene and he was back at the Factory? Or was he? Didn't she herself have extraordinary powers and abilities, beyond those of mortal man... and woman?

She stood in the rain, coat wrapped about her and considered her options. Root through the ruins to find something... maybe find some clue that could implicate Brendoone and justify going back to the Factory to confront him, despite evidence at the scene pointing to it being an accident? Or perhaps going back to the factory anyway, and to hell with the consequences?

Or maybe she had to concede defeat on this one, report her suspicions and see if DICE could keep tabs on Brendoone? The last option left a bad taste in her mouth.

"Looks like the investigation has hit a dead end ma'am. Back to base?" offered one of the Peelers. Joannas pensive face was lit by the flames still burning in the gutted house. "Ma'am?"
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  TDM7 Mon Dec 20 2010, 16:00

Joanna stared blankly at the smoldering remnants that was once Mr. McMahon's home. It would have easily matched the outcome that she would have imagined for the vision that she had as to what had started it. I'll see that you answer for this someday, Mr. Brendoone, Joanna vowed to herself. There was nothing more that she wanted right now than to strike his cruel, laughing face with a surprising amount of superhuman strength and see the same kind of fear that she believed that she had witnessed on Mr. McMahon's face.

"This wasn't an accident," she muttered to the Peeler agent standing beside her. "But I don't think we're going to be able to find the evidence to prove it."

"We're going home for now, but I promise this --- we'll be back" Joanna stated. If there was a 'Shadow Demon' in the factory, she wanted to have some of others gifted with strange powers here to assist her. It didn't sound like something that she would be able to tackle on her own.

Don't trust everything the High Princess tells you! Her help comes at too high a price! the voice of the young British girl insisted as it forced its way into her mind. Even though Kylie was still displaced from her body, she knew too well what would happen if Joanna allowed the Princess more control over her body than what Kylie was able to provide.

TDM7

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Mon Dec 20 2010, 23:08

The three stared into the dying flames in the rain. Joanna knew her inexperience might well land her in deep water should she take on whatever was hidden inside that factory. Best to return with the others. She turned to leave, then the voice in her head piped up again. 'Is it inexperience, or cowardice that leads you away from the base of your foe? Do you need a reason to seek them out, some need to feel legitimate? Or would you rather find none, and walk away, safe in the knowledge that you live to fight... or run in shame, another day? Hahahahahaha!' laughed the cruel voice in Joannas' head! The other voice had warned Joanna about trusting the sinister voice, that which had shown her the vision! Bitterly, Joanna wiped rain from her face with a handkerchief and strode away from the scene, flanked by the Peelers. Even as she went, the mocking voice called out in her head 'You are unworthy! But... there is something about you, a spirit, a will to do good, pathetic as that is! And so, my dear, a parting gift before I slumber!'

Joanna blinked. There was a flash, a vision, as she saw the elderly McMahon move to place a carefully written diary into a strong looking safe, hidden under the floorboards! He turned the numbers, 9, 6, 3, and opened the box, placing the diary inside with other papers, some money, and personal effects. Had the man somehow know he would be targeted? Perhaps that diary still existed somewhere in the ruins of the building?

=========

At that moment, crouched nearby on a rooftop in the rain, hugging the shadows...

Up until yesterday he had been a normal man! Weak, snivelling, conniving. He had never been strong, but always had been willing to do the bidding, the dirty work, of others And now, his reward! All this power! He glanced about in the growing gloom, with dark clouds overhead. The rain lashed down, the darkness was closing in, and it was almost time to strike! He looked down with keen eyes at his target and snorted in derision, flexing powerful muscles, and on his back, leathery batlike wings! No more would Burt Cartwright be looked on by the criminal lowlife of Scotland as their inferior, their lackey! He had been granted power, with only one price to pay!

He looked down now from the rooftop. Such a pretty thing! The two with her in bowler hats would not slow him down! He cackled, mouth showing fangs! Waiting for the moment to strike, he watched for her next move, knowing the police, the fire service and those stood around would be powerless when he swooped from the skies!

OOC You have the possible clue if you can find it in the ruins, or choose to leave the scene. That will determine what happens next, of course Smile
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  TDM7 Tue Dec 21 2010, 02:51

Joanna stopped walking as she received her latest vision courtesy of the High Princess. Part of her wanted to ignore it for the way that the voice had insulted her and to not let it have any kind of influence over her. However, if there were clues hidden away in that safe, Joanna couldn't allow them to be lost, especially if it contained the evidence needed to bring down Mr. Brendoone.

"One last look before we leave, gentlemen," she said as her vision returned to normal. "McMahon may have had a safe that survived the fire. Check the usual places, but something tells me that it might be hidden under the floorboards."

As she walked back to what was left of the house, she warned them "Be careful. There's no sense in getting burned searching for something that may or may not exist."

TDM7

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Tue Dec 21 2010, 22:48

Once more, the Peelers shrugged. The woman changed her mind like the wind changed direction! Still, they trusted her and her instincts, and knew full well what she could do having been briefed.

The small party entered the ruins of the house...

=========

On a rooftop nearby...

Hellbat cursed, slamming a clawed fist into a furry hand! "What in the...? Damn you woman!" His instincts screamed at him to swoop down, crash through the skeletal ruins of the house and kill the woman now! The... 'master' had said that she was not to be underestimated, but that her death would bring infinite reward to the hellish creature, man-like only in general shape now, as his evil thoughts dragged his humanity away from him gradually!

Snarling, cursing, champing the bit and ready to strike, he watched the house for a time longer, seeing the Firemen move about through the ruins, police cordon the area off, and the woman and her companions taking their time! With a snarl he took off, flying through the torrential rain but still determined to claim the ultimate reward!

=========

Inside the house...

Letting the vision guide her, Joanna came into what had been the study. Now it was a gutted shell, and the ferocity of the flames staggered those who looked upon the extent of the damage!

"This was caused by no mere accident!" uttered a Peeler. Joanna, for answer, took tentative steps in heels along the run of one of the few remaining floor joists and moved to an area that seemed badly gutted. Closing her eyes, concentrating, remembering, she turned, balanced, and leaned over. Supporting herself on another beam she pulled back a fist, ramming it through a floorboard like the thing was made of paper!

The Peelers gaped at her, then at each other, as she felt about, and grasped the steel box that had been a chest! She pulled it through the fist sized hole she'd made, sending wood crashing up and out, and moved to where the astonished agents could only stare in disbelief! This frail thing, this woman, carried in a hand what must weight around a hundred kilos or more! Fire damage had scorched the thing and it still looked warm to the touch, but Joanna set it down on a solid piece of floor and looked to the door.

"I've had some experience safe cracking, but I'm betting the fire damage has wrecked any chance of getting that open." said one Peeler. The other replied "We can send for cutting tools, but they'll take some time Ma'am. I'll go make the necess..."

His voice tailed off as Joanna dialled 9,6,3 and pulled the door open! Reaching inside, she scooped handfuls of ash for the most part, but a scorched and tattered journal was semi intact, and this she opened at the final entry.

"...now convinced foul play is afoot. I myself inspect at random every shipment that goes out of this factory. Not only do we have a reputation to uphold but the brave men and women who fight for this country and our freedom deserve the best! I intend to confront Brendoone, for surely this newcomer to the board of Directors, this 'Wade Donohms' has brought nothing but trouble! Until he came we were a respectable family business turning over a comfortable living. Brendoone was always ambitious, unlike his father who founded the firm, but I have seen a marked change in the man, especially when Donohms is around. I intend to challenge this man who appears to have no references, nor will reveal his educational background or work credentials, and suddenly has been inducted into the board of Directors as Brendoones' right hand man! After that, I intend to resign and take my suspicions to the authorities. Brendoone laughed at me when I suggested the manufacturing machines had been tampered with. Molly, the operator, is highly skilled and has been working at the factory almost as long as I have. When Brendoone fired her I was tempted to follow with my own resignation, but now I am glad I investigated further. Mollys familiarity and expertise with the machine set up is apparent in the samples I have bagged up."

Inside the safe was a small charred satchel containing firing pins with serial numbers stamped in them. They appeared perfect, and the serial stamps were dated at different times, weeks, months, even years apart. There was a small box in there too. That contained broken fragments of another pin. The journal continued, and concluded...

"...And the date tallies on the manufacture process when Molly was away for her brothers wedding. Ergo I suspect sabotage, and the only one with the keys and know how of that machine bar myself and Molly is Brendoone, who was apprenticed by his father in anticipation of taking over the business. I believe the faulty pin is clear evidence of his tampering, and his insistence that Molly get straight back to work without the usual check ups and set up procedure suggests the man did not want her to find his handiwork. He is, in short, a disgrace to the company and the family name, and I intend to see him dishonoured and fired from his Fathers company before irreparable damage is caused!"

The rest of the journal more or less fell to pieces in Joannas' hand, and she shielded it with an umbrella as rain fell through the gaps in the burnt out ceiling!

Clear proof, or at least evidence, that Brendoone had a hand in the faulty pins. But who was this Wade Donohms? And what would be Joannas' next move?

Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  TDM7 Thu Dec 23 2010, 02:17

Joanna closed the journal quickly before she caused any more damage to the evidence by mishandling it.
"It looks like there's enough information in here to cast suspicions on Mr. Brendoone's involvement with sabotaging the manufacturing of the firing pins," she announced. "He even had the foresight to gather some physical evidence." Joanna handed over the satchel containing the samples to one of the Peeler agents.

"McMahon also suspected that one of the board of directors for the company could be involved -- a 'Wade Donohms'. I don't think that we met him during our visit, did we?" she asked, seeking confirmation.

"In any case, we may get to meet him soon. I think that the War Department is going to want to have a meeting with their Board of Directors to inform them why they will be losing their contract to manufacture firing pins."

"Let's get this information back to headquarters and see if they have more information on Wade Donohms than what Mr McMahon was unable to find."

OOC: Wade Donohms -- nice touch with the anagram. However, Joanna doesn't notice this yet and probably won't until she's had some time to sit and think about it on the long train ride back to headquarters. It looks like she's about to be interrupted before that can happen.

TDM7

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Fri Dec 24 2010, 00:52

Despite the pouring rain, the fire burned fiercely in places, and the firemen moved in to tackle the blaze once more, albeit on a lesser scale than when they had arrived. "Damned stuff!" remarked one as the trio passed. "It's like... glue, that burns! I've been pouring water over this stuff for minutes now, and it will die out, only to combust again as soon as the water comes off it!"

The Peelers glanced at each other, then Joanna as they got back to the waiting taxi some way down the street. By now large crowds had gathered to see the house burn with some upset because they'd known the occupant.

"It's gonna take a wee while tae get oot o this traffic." proclaimed the Taxi driver. Joanna glanced through the window at the burning house and shuddered. There was something greater going on here rather than simple industrial sabotage. But what?

=========

At that moment...

"You what? You let them leave the scene?" rasped the voice on the other end of the phone. "I gave you that power to use! Not think! Get after her!"

"What's so important about one woman?" asked the bat faced man, clearly shaking at the dressing down he'd taken. He kicked at the body on the floor of the phone box - some unfortunate who'd happened to be using the phone.

"Trust me! Don't think! Don't ask! Just take her out!"

The freakish man nodded, confirmed his intention, then set the phone back on the hook, ignoring the pooling blood by his feet and setting off into the dark rainy skies.

=========

At the local train station...

"Delayed, ma'am." said a Peeler, looking at a station worker sliding in a 'Delayed' marker next to the service that would see them heading south. "Perhaps we should make arrangements to stay overnight? It has, after all, been a long day."

Joanna was thankful for a roof over the station to provide respite from the interminable rain. She looked about. People were hurrying to catch trains, standing around to see times or arrivals and departures of others, everything as normal. Looking up, into the rafters of the Victorian built station, she saw only pigeons flutter about, strutting and cooing occasionally. Still, the general feeling of unease she'd felt at the house persisted. Suddenly the pigeons broke off, as a large group taking wing and heading out of the station, into the rain.

"Damned flying rats." muttered a Peeler, coming back with a hot mug of tea and a sandwich roll for Joanna and the other Peeler. "Case in point..." he said, pointing to the other Peelers' bowler hat. The pair laughed as fresh bird muck rolled down the side, and the Peeler sighed as he reached for a handkerchief to wipe it clean.

Joanna thanked them for the drink and settled down on a bench, watching people - mostly women and children - walk by. Though late at night - after 9pm now, the place was still busy as families made their own arrangements to get children into the countryside and away from cities.

"Ma'am, do you think that journal will..." started one Peeler. Then he gasped, and there was a definite smell of burning flesh in the air! An oozing, foul, green-yellow liquid poured from above onto his hat and shoulder, sizzling as it burnt through the cloth onto the flesh below! He cried out, screaming in agony that had people around looking and backing away in fear, as the other Peeler hurried to his stricken comrades side!

Joanna, however, only had eyes for the rafters. And almost overhead, a red pair of eyes looked back!

OOC We're almost in a combat situation. Anything 'Ms Avery' wants to do before we get stuck in?
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  TDM7 Mon Dec 27 2010, 02:56

"Up there! In the rafters!" Joanna warned the two Peelers, pointing in the direction where she spotted its red eyes so that they might notice it too. How long had it been watching us without us knowing? she wondered. Brendoone (and/or the Shadow Demon) was aware of them to send one of their beasts to get them. There was also a good chance that their cover story had been compromised.

"Did Brendoone send you?" Joanna demanded. "Show yourself!"

While she wasn't necessarily looking for a fight, she would feel much better knowing what this creature was instead of worrying about it coming after her again when she was defenseless and vulnerable.

TDM7

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Tue Dec 28 2010, 09:33

World War II - Kitten Issue #1 - Page 2 35m0f8x

The creature dropped from the rafters to land with some considerable agility in a crouch, though Joanna didn't doubt those wings were definitely functional! The gruesome face erupted into a grin as the people on the station platform nearby screamed, grabbing up children and panicking, some tumbling over in the rush to get clear!

"I do so love to make an entrance!" the thing spat. "I... am Hellbat... and you my dear... are LUNCH!"

Though his comrade was injured, the other Peeler reached into his coat to pull a pistol, but cursed as panicking people, all the while screaming and running in every direction, got in the way!

Joanna glanced about - with so many innocents nearby there was a good chance someone would get hurt - unless she got the thing to attack her and the Peelers!

"I need to keep one of you alive... to send a message..." rasped the creature, rising slowly to a standing position. "You can decide amongst yourselves who that might be. I'll give you... " he glanced at the clock on the platform. "Oh! Time's up!" he cackled. Then his eyes narrowed. From Joannas best guess the creature was targeting the Peeler with the gun first - hopefully it had underestimated her!

OOC Initiative 10 Heroes, 1 Bad guy. That's all four frames... It's 5m away, needing a frame to move within swinging distance. The agent can shoot, but if Joannas in the way it will make things trickier for him. That said, Joanna doles out quite a bigger punch than the puny .38 special the Peeler carries! Over to you...
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  TDM7 Thu Dec 30 2010, 01:28

Joanna shrieked as though she was in fear of the Hellbat. Although this was mainly a ploy to get it to believe that she wasn't going to put up a fight, there was probably a little element of truth in it as well. She didn't know what a Shadow Demon looked like, but this guy definitely had a demonic appearance as far as she was concerned.

Since the Peeler agent was probably going to be shooting as soon as the civilians in the area were clear, Joanna didn't want to get in the way of his aim. If she couldn't engage him hand-to-hand, there might be something that she could throw in his direction -- preferably something heavy. Even if she didn't hit him, it might land close enough to distract the creature.

OOC: In those frames, run to something suitably heavy that might be located in a train station. If necessary, tear it away from whatever is holding it to the ground/on the wall. Then throw it at the Hellbat and hope it hits.

TDM7

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Sat Jan 01 2011, 02:13

OOC Apologies for delay in posting, and Happy New Year!

Julie/Joanna dashed over to a heavy cast iron bench, the type that would need two or three strong men to budge, never mind lift! Hefting it with one hand, another to steady it, she frowned as people ran across her field of vision. The gunshots as the Peeler fired his weapon at the creature had people screaming and dashing in panic even more!

Joanna moved closer, waiting for her moment. The creature cackled, tensing to pounce at the Peeler...

Suddenly it glanced up, having seen a dark shape come sailing through the air. "What in the..." he growled.

THWAM!

He was clattered by several hundred kilos of cast iron which broke into several pieces and sent the creature flying! "Bravo!" shouted the Peeler, who moved in to investigate the creatures' status. The other Peeler shouted as best he could "Everyone out! Towards the exits! Don't panic!" Of course, it was rather late for that now...

Joanna looked back towards where the creature was. The Peeler was close now, shouting "Alright you! Don't move! I have you... URK!" The creature sprang up, bloodied and dirtied, but still full of fight! It grabbed the Peeler, leaned in, and spat horrific green goo in his face! The mans screams were gut churning, and Joanna turned away slightly as he staggered back, face and shoulders smoking, before crashing onto his back and stiffening as he died!

The creature laughed, wiping blood from its bashed face. "You're stronger than you look, girly! What other secrets do you hide, eh?"

OOC Joanna gets 7, The creature, 3. 2 frames to Joanna. She is a good 10m (2 frames to move) away from it now, but is pretty sure that thing can't spit accurately over that distance, with the goop spreading wider and thinner the further it travels. Both Peelers are out of the fight, injured in one case, dead in the other.
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  TDM7 Sat Jan 01 2011, 23:38

"You're stronger than you look, girly! What other secrets do you hide, eh?"
"Why don't you come over here and fight out?" Joanna taunted the creature now that her secret was revealed that she wasn't just a helpless victim. Although her words made her appear confident, she was still frightened after seeing what Hellbat had just done to that poor Peeler agent and not wanting to share his fate. However, she had to do something to draw its attention away from the other injured Peeler to give him a chance to get to safety.

OOC: She's going to delay and let Hellbat come after her, saving frames as needed to dodge any goo that it spits at her. If there's anything nearby that can be used to swat it out of the air (assuming that it is flying when it charges her), then she will take a swing at it. If there's nothing available, maybe she could take a page out of the bullfighter's manual and dodge out of the way if it charges at her (such as shrinking small enough for it to fly over, preferably in a direction which puts it in a collision course with a wall or post/coumn.)
After it gets within hand-to-hand combat distance, maybe then she'll try to battle it using martial arts.

TDM7

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Sun Jan 02 2011, 02:10

With a snarl the creature took to the air and swooped low, hocking up a mouthful of the bile it had spat at the unfortunate Peeler and training it on Joanna!

OOC Roll of 5...miss

Joanna calmly sidestepped aside and leapt at the vile thing!

OOC Roll of 4...miss

Unfortunately the creature was past her and she swiped at thin air! Moving over to a lamp post she gripped it, and looked about. There! In the rafters! She knew with a pull the lamp post would come up and free. Would she tip her hand or wait for the thing to come at her again?

The creature, in turn, narrowed its eyes. Looking down at the woman he had to fight every instinct to sweep in and slash at her with clawed hands! Some part of his mind cried out that she'd already bloodied him with a heavy iron bench, thrown as if it were a pillow! "The hells with that!" snarled the bestial creature.

OOC Initiative 2 for Joanna, 4 for the creature. 1 frame to it. You can pull up the lamp post as a free action from the previous round though you'll be 'tipping' the creature off, and it may take avoiding action before it even comes in range, or wait and use an action (2 frames) to rip it up this round and try to surprise the creature as it flies in. Or you can ignore the lamp post and attack hand to hand, your choice. It's flying down towards you, so you have 4 frames, but might get only one chance to attack before it's passed you! By now most civilians have left the station, and the bleat of distant whistles suggest police are on the way!

Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  TDM7 Sun Jan 02 2011, 19:07

"What's the matter? I thought that I was supposed to be your lunch," Joanna shouted up at the creature. "Did you lose your appetite?"

The sound of approaching sirens were encouraging. She could use some assistance -- that is, assuming that the local police force weren't also on the payroll of Brendoone and Donohms. It might be better to end this fight on her own. There would be less questions as to how a woman like her could pick up and hurl all of those heavy objects.

OOC: Joanna won't rip up the pole at this time. Instead, she'll use it in a martial-arts attack by running towards it and then grabbing it to swing around and channel all of that rotational momentum into a big kick.

TDM7

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Mon Jan 03 2011, 02:20

Outside the station at that moment...

Angus Fraser had seen the commotion and rushed along the street in the rain, as had many others, to see if they could help. People were screaming and spilling from the railway station entrance in a panic! In his late fifties Angus was in reasonable shape, and scooped a fallen child up and set him on his way before looking at the station front. The police would be here soon, he hoped, to deal with whatever was going on. Summoning up some courage, he started towards the entrance...

A large lead paned window exploded outwards at that moment as a fur covered bat winged ... 'thing' was catapulted from the force of some terrific blow! He saw the creature bounce with a sickening 'thunk' onto the pavement and roll several times before rising slowly and trying to gain its bearings! What in the...? It looked like a creature of nightmare - claws, fangs, wings, fur... but someone had given it a pounding!

Inside the station...

Joanna looked, satisfied, at the gaping hole where a window had been. Her timing had been superb! As the creature dived in she'd leapt, grasped the lamp post and spun, delivering a powerful strike to the creature (OOC roll 19, that should do it...) that had seen it fly head first through the window to dump out into the street!

Suddenly, her heart sunk! What if the thing were to run amok out there? She glanced at the Peelers. One dead, the other down. Noticing now for the first time people hiding behind whatever they could, she saw one, a station staff member, probably a train dispatcher, stand and wave "Tha's tellin' im lassie! You go get th' villain!" he shouted, though his own help wasn't extending to much more than cheerleading! Others, mostly youngsters and their carers, women of various ages, came out of hiding from where they'd ducked down behind bins, benches and plants on the station platform, gaping in wonder at the creature that had terrorised them and the woman who'd laid it low!

Joanna had a choice - the thing was wounded, that was for sure! Should she follow it outside or wait for it to come back in? It was clearly either after her, something she had, or the Peelers! Glancing around, she bit her lip silently. Civilians about, inside and out! Why did the bad guys always seem to hold all the cards!

'The whistle, dear girl...'
that voice again! Mocking, sarcastic, treating her with contempt, and yet... She glanced about. The station dispatcher did have a whistle! What did the voice mean?

Outside...

The brief had been easy. Kill the woman and the two men from the Government. Preferably without witnesses. He'd messed up. Something to do with the powers clouded his thinking, his judgement. He was animalistic, acting mostly on instinct and rage!

At the moment, he was acting on pain!

Hellbat groaned as he levered himself up to his knees, blood spilling freely from his mouth and face. He could feel bruises puffing up. Looking about, he saw the crowded street, people in the rain, gaping in astonishment and fear! He would give them something to fear! What of the woman though? They'd said no witnesses, but they hadn't mentioned the fact she could hit like rearing horse! Hellbat groaned again, wincing as he fished in his mouth, then spat out a mouthful of blood and teeth. The hells with this! He staggered to his feet and looked to the sky. Time to go. Let them think what they liked with fanciful stories of a man sized bat - better that than a prison cell and questions he'd rather not answer - especially when he had so few himself! all this power, and yet the woman, with several smooth moves, had brought him low! Suddenly a growl escaped his throat. The woman. Rage and pain clouded his thoughts, and he looked at the window he'd just been knocked through...

Inside the station...

As people got to their feet Joanna looked up. Filling the window she'd knocked the bat thing through was the creature returned, silhouetted against the night sky like some kind of Gargoyle! It perched on the window ledge and called out, voice seeming to gargle with blood and a battered tongue "You think you've won? I've only just begun, woman! Wait till you see what I do next!" He started to hook up bile from the depths of his stomach!

Joanna glanced at the dead Peeler and the wounded one, both from effects of the corrosive acid! Looking back at the creature, it seemed clear - she was next!

OOC It's 10m away, Initiative 10 for you, 6 for it, giving you 2 frames to act. Judging by the state of it, you've got it well and truly rocked, but it seems not to know when its beaten! The nearest civilian is the station staff member, 5m away. Other civilians are scattered about, and a protracted fight will draw them into the line of fire... Over to you...

Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  TDM7 Tue Jan 04 2011, 01:48

Joanna wasn't sure why the voice in her head had mentioned the whistle. It didn't seem to be that useful other than to perhaps annoy the creature by filling its enormous ears with its piercing shrillness. However, the voice had been helpful up until now that she was willing to trust its recommendation again.

"Sir?" she called out, trying to get the attention of the train dispatcher who had the whistle. "I need you to blow on your whistle for as long as you can. Please just trust me on this. My life and those of everyone in the station may depend on it!"

Expecting that the beast would spit fire at her again, she waited to dodge out of the way. But if the voice's plan worked, perhaps the creature might target the whistleblower instead.

"Sir, Please hide somewhere and keep blowing it as hard as you can so that whole station hears you. Don't come out until I come get you," she advised strongly. "This thing is a killer."

OOC: Holding frames to dodge and waiting for it to come down (after the train dispatcher?) so that she can pummel it.

TDM7

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Tue Jan 04 2011, 03:15

Launching from the window frame, the creature dove straight at Julie/Joanna! With a glance at the terrified dispatcher she knew he wouldn't...

WHEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!

He blew with all his might, and the creature clutched its ears, spiralling towards Joanna in free fall! The dispatcher continued to blow as he saw the creature dive for the woman. She was bravely standing her ground - brave, or mad? He was about to break off and shout a warning but still knew it would be hopeless... until she delivered the most devastating right hook he'd ever seen!

There was an audible CRACK! as she caught the creature on the jaw, sending it spinning headfirst to smash through the wooden station platform boards! With legs dangling out, the woman stepped up, all the while ignoring the shrill whistle, and reached for a leg, taking hold of an ankle. The creature stirred, starting to struggle, but the woman yanked, pulling it out and through the air to slam through the wooden boards and send wood flying into the air! Such strength! The creature rallied, though its face was in ruins, and rose, snarling as blood sprayed everywhere. It opened its mouth to spit, only for a piece of wood to SMACK! across its head, smashing into shards! Acid sprayed from the things mouth all over its chest, and suddenly it SCREAMED!

The sound was awful. Joanna stood back as the thing saw its own belly dissolve, and sizzle away! It thrashed about dangerously, spraying more acid that caused Joanna to back off, and suddenly arched its back, ruined form horrible to behold.

Then the creature died. Before the onlookers eyes it changed, becoming a horribly disfigured and mutilated form of a man in ragged trousers!

Joanna had won. A glance over at the disfigured Peeler and the dead one beside him made her ask though... at what price?

OOC Fight over. Kitten took out Hellbat, and it died as it sprayed itself in its own digestive juices. Nasty. What she does next though is up to you - take these guys to Hospital then back to London, go see Brendoone, or take a look around his place without announcing it... Or maybe another option. Your call.
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  TDM7 Sun Jan 09 2011, 01:45

Joanna shared a glance with the dispatcher but he had been watching the fight and knew that it was no longer necessary to continue to blow the whistle. "Thank you," she said quietly. "You were a tremendous help."

She staggered away from what was left of her opponent, trying to escape the foul stench of the dissolving flesh.

"Stay back! Please, everyone just stand back!" she warned the curious onlookers brave enough to approach the motionless body.

With hands on her knees, she took several deep breaths to try to keep the nausea from overtaking her. Did he do this to himself to avoid capture or was this the price of failure? Joanna wondered. Now that it was revealed to be a man instead of a monster, she felt somewhat guilty for whatever role she may have had in its demise.

Remembering the injured Peeler, she immediately rushed to his side. Her nursing training never covered the treatment of demonic bat burns but Joanna tried to offer him some comfort until the ambulances arrived to take him to someone with more medical expertise.

OOC: Joanna will see that the injured Peeler is taken to the hospital and that the local authorities quarrantine the bat-man's body. At the hospital, she will notify London of the situation since she's essentially on her own without any backup and to pass along what she has found in case anything should happen to her before she returned. She will make arrangements to send the bat-man's body back to the home office if the higher-ups decide it is worthy of study. Once the DICE directors inform her as to what they want her to do next, she'll either return to London or continue the investigation on her own until someone else shows up to assist.

-- Sorry for the delay in response. First week back at work after the holidays. Had to crunch all of last years numbers and now have to start crunching the numbers to ty to predict what this year's business is going to look like.

TDM7

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Sun Jan 09 2011, 12:37

OOC No problem about the delay - I've had a rough couple of weeks myself, so much for time off over the holiday period!

When the police turned up...

Joanna had already enlisted the station staff to cordon the area off and cover the bodies with a sheet. The place was a mess, and whilst she was on the telephone to DICE HQ Joanna could hear the commotion outside the station masters office. With a sigh, having made a brief report and advised of the death and serious injury to the Peelers, and of her own suspicions and the proof (in the form of the journal) she held, she went back outside to where Police were attempting to take control of the situation. A hairy backed gruff police Detective stalked up to Joanna. "Ah hear ye're in charge, or so ah've been told lassie. Well, till ah hear different from someone ah call a boss, ah'm in charge, an ah say ye're goin' down the station tae make a statement! Ah've heard all sorts o fanciful tales aboot giant bats an the like, but all ah see is an escaped lunatic with a thing fer throwin' acid aroond, something he's been done fer before."

At Joannas' frown, she turned and walked over to the tarpaulin. Lifting it, she gasped, as the detective place a hand on her arm. "Now then lassie, ah think that... ah'll be damned!" he said, gasping as his efforts - and he wasn't a small man - to apprehend Joanna came to nothing. No matter how much he tried, he couldn't budge her arm, and he stepped back. "What in the ...? Lassie, ah don't know what they put in the porridge doon south, but ah want some!"

Suddenly the station master came over "We'll be needin' this all cleared up."

After that, Joanna watched, nursing a hot drink under an umbrella in the rain as the apparently normal 'lunatic' was carted away, no sign of his ever being the creature Joanna had fought. Whatever power had changed him into that... thing ... clearly had worn off! Still, she had the journal. Fishing in her coat she pulled it out and glanced through the pages. Those that were important were still intact. She would have to guard them carefully, and even then, would the Ministry of Defence take it as proof of wrongdoing against a man important for Government contracts and the war effort?

Looking out over the city, she swore that Brendoone would get his.

=========

Looking out from his office window, Brendoone sipped a whisky...

Turning to the figure sat in his own chair, in deep shadow, he spoke up. "The woman is far more dangerous than I had presumed. But you knew that didn't you?" The red eyes of the person sat in the chair flashed, matched by the white of fanged teeth. "You have no idea." came the reply. "That woman is the most powerful being, save another equal, on this island. Along with her relatives, she's the most powerful on this plane of reality. To put that into perspective..." a hand held up a pistol, turned out by Brendoones factory. Brendoone shifted uncomfortably, aware of the other holding his life in their hand. "This handgun could kill a man. Imagine the power of a million handguns, all fired at once. That would be the power of the womans sneeze. All we need to do... is provide the itch."

"You want to provoke this woman? Surely that's that's madness! I've seen what you can do, and it's... beyond anything I can imagine! And you actually WANT this woman to become angry, and use her power on us?" asked Brendoone, incredulous.

The other smiled. "Oh yes. That is exactly what I want. Of course, there will be massive casualties and widespread destruction when she does so, but there is only so much her current avatar can stand before it simply..." the hand around the gun squeezed. The metal ground beneath the fingers, and the gun went off! Metal fragments flew everywhere, but the hand that had held the gun was completely unharmed! Brendoone paled. "Implodes." said the shadowy figure. "She knows where you are. She may have an idea about me - she's very resourceful and intelligent - and so we must ensure that when next we meet... it's on OUR terms..."

=========

"We'll look into it." said General Forbes, on the other end of the phone...

"Till then, stay away from Brendoone."

Joanna sat in her hotel room, looking out as the rain continued to pour down. She sighed, and took a sip of her wine. "I have something else for you." added Forbes. "We'll arrange the use of a car for you. I want you to drive up to Loch Ness. There are reports of some kind of monster lurking in its depths. Let's make sure they are just stories, rather than some Nazi plot. Right now, the Nazis hold the upper hand, and it feels like we have a hand closing around us...Oh, and you'll be teaming up with another recruit. That's a young man named Steve Jenson. He is a 'second generation' soldier."

That was code for the fact the man had gotten his powers from General Wynn. "You're the lead agent on this Joanna. You've done well, sorted Brendoone out and given us a glimpse as to what he's up to. Until we can get that journal from you, we'll have to back off him. He's well connected, and as slippery as they come. Friends with the PM and a few cabinet ministers, he's like a greased weasel, but we'll get him."

OOC When you're ready to hook up with Silver Sentinel I'll cross the threads over, just let me know when your schedule permits...
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  TDM7 Fri Jan 21 2011, 00:50

OOC When you're ready to hook up with Silver Sentinel I'll cross the threads over, just let me know when your schedule permits...
OOC: Let's get things rolling again. I'm still trying to get caught up with everything that's outside of work, but I want to avoid delaying things here much longer than I already have.

TDM7

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Sat Jan 22 2011, 00:37

OOC Good to have you back. Smile Till you're up to speed we'll keep you in a separate thread from Silver Sentinel as I'm sure the Nazis are up to more than just the one thing Smile

Joanna drove through the Scottish countryside, the roads in places little more than dirt tracks. It was so peaceful and beautiful here, albeit with the bite of winter in the air which was just around the corner. Hard to believe a war was on. With a sigh she concentrated on her driving as wild sheep strayed into her path needing driving round. With her bag of clothes and belongings, the journal which would provide details on Brendoones evil streak, and superhuman powers which had performed admirably against the vicious bat creature she felt as prepared as she could be for anything.

=========

With a sigh Joanna looked about...

Steam rose from the cracked radiator and water had pretty much finished dripping from the bonnet area, meaning the engine had run dry. She was... leaning in, she looked at a map, tracing a line over her path and taking her best guess as to her whereabouts. There was a small village - no more than a dot on the map - a few miles up the road, she figured, which was her best bet at getting a place to stay and a vehicle to continue on her way, as well as get to a phone.

Gathering up her stuff she left the car by the side of the road and started walking.

=========

It was dark and cold by the time Joanna crested a hill...

And saw the small village, about a mile away. The lights presented a warm glow from the half dozen or so houses, and distant points of light showed there were farmhouses in the hills. Up here there was little chance of being bombed - the Nazis simply wouldn't waste the fuel to get all the way here and bomb the scenery - so people were more or less living life as normal.

Just as Joanna was about to set off on the final leg of her unscheduled journey, she heard... something... Scanning about in the night sky, she saw nothing at first then squinted. Something dark had momentarily blotted out the stars! It was moving very quietly and at great speed, but appeared to be turning! The high pitched whirring noise wasn't like that of a normal aeroplane, and seemed to be increasing in intensity. Looking out into the darkness she saw pine forested hills rolling into the odd mountain or two. The noise appeared to be fading then stopped, as if cut off. Had something landed in the forest, or perhaps on the hills? Shivering with the cold she glanced at the village - warm and inviting. The rain started to come down gently around her, and would doubtless bring a night time chill, but something had made that noise. Would Joanna investigate or perhaps seek shelter in the village?
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  TDM7 Sun Jan 23 2011, 19:22

Joanna looked down at the village, almost feeling its subtle invitation to come down and get out of the chilling rain and rest for a while. It was hard to argue that she did not deserve it, having risked her life to stop that horrible combination of bat and man then having to endure the additional hardship of her automobile breaking down. However, if she were to go down there even for a moment, that would probably have been it for the night, no matter how good her intentions were to come back later and investigate. By then, whatever had passed overhead and possibly landed nearby could have departed.

Allowing her curiosity to triumph over her discomfort, Joanna pressed on through the forest in the direction that she believed that aircraft to have been traveling. The canopy of tree limbs overhead might even provide some shelter from the rain falling overhead.

TDM7

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Sun Jan 23 2011, 22:52

With a sigh Jo turned to the direction of the strange craft. Trudging on the muddy ground across pine needles and between trees she made her way through the darkness quietly, hearing the distant hum of the machine getting louder.

After 10 minutes of steadily climbing a wooded hill she saw a break in the trees and looked out across it...

Up the side of the steep mountain the hill was turning into, she saw lights, and heard the sounds of drilling - mining of some kind! The noise she'd heard turned out to be a flying craft - saucer shaped, silver, with a a silver dome on top! Underneath it was lit and the base spun with vanes providing propulsion! She'd never seen the like before, but gasped when she saw the distant workers buzzing about the hole they were making. Even from this distance - a mile or so - and through the darkness, light rain, it was clear what she was seeing. Nazi uniforms! The Nazis were building some kind of hidden base in the Scottish Highlands!
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next