The Vanguard Play by Post Roleplaying Game
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The New Vanguard! Frostbite Issue #8 - Home at last... but what is home?

3 posters

Page 7 of 7 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7

Go down

The New Vanguard! Frostbite Issue #8  - Home at last... but what is home? - Page 7 Empty Re: The New Vanguard! Frostbite Issue #8 - Home at last... but what is home?

Post  Steeple_jackuk Sun May 03 2020, 13:13

Admin wrote:Frostbite and Frostbot go first. [/i][/color]

Not liking the look of what he saw, Frostbite shot a radiant beam of ice-cold energy at the Porto being, seeking to cut it down to size. All the while shouting back to Castaway...

"Check the kid whilst we deal with this misanthrope throwback. And watch out Power looks to be taking a personal delight in getting involved. "

Sj

Steeple_jackuk
Steeple_jackuk
Cosmic Level

Back to top Go down

The New Vanguard! Frostbite Issue #8  - Home at last... but what is home? - Page 7 Empty Re: The New Vanguard! Frostbite Issue #8 - Home at last... but what is home?

Post  Admin Tue May 05 2020, 19:33

OOC May as well Adrenaline Surge on Energy Blast. It won't burn out Energy Blast but might just give Frosty an edge...

A. Surge 15 + Roll(2d12)+0: 8,3,+0 Total:11 (26) vs
Energy Blast 14 + Roll(2d12)+0: 2,6,+0 Total:8 (22)

+3 EV (to 18) vs Rv14=4 RAPs

Energy Blast up to 18 + Roll(2d12)+0: 7,8,+0 Total:15 (33) vs
OV15 + 1 die Acro + Roll(3d12)+0: 4,2,2,+0 Total:4 DOUBLE plus Roll(2d12)+0: 9,4,+0 Total:17 (32)

+1 (to 19) vs Rv5*=14 Damage.

The Proto Warrior formed bulky, boxy armour about itself instantly! Unfortunately that kind of armour was able to protect against force or impact rather than energy blasts and Frostbite blew a hole right through its chest!

The 'creature' collapsed into a grey puddle.

"Hm. Another design flaw. Rest assured my next design shall incorporate improvements and correct any flaws! Regardless, I..." the voice over the Tannoy trailed off. "It seems your companions outside possess enough sheer raw power to disable my Proto Slaves without much bother. Never let it be said that Professor Power doesn't acknowledge..."

Castaway glanced about "He's stalling! We need to get out of here... NOW!"

"Agreed" said Frostbot. "Though I can guide the airship there are a number of unconnected systems that appear to be 'booby trapped'."

"...will be magnanimous in victory, putting all citizens to work in pursuit of a greater goal under my supervision. Those who oppose ..."

The voice over the tannoy droned on and Castaway ran through the generator room to find Zoo Master lying prone having been badly battered! Frostbite and Frostbot were hot on her heels. "This thing is going to blow! Power is predictable in defeat - his way of being 'sporting'. We need to go..."

She waved a hand to an apparently featureless wall...

OOC Warp 10 + Roll(2d12)+0: 12,3,+0 Total:15 (25) vs
Ov7 + Roll(2d12)+0: 8,9,+0 Total:17 (24)

+1 EV (to 11) vs Rv7=4 RAPS

A gateway opens in thin air leading to the outside where heather blew in the wind only a few feet away.

Frostbot stepped through and Frostbite carried the prone Zoo Master with Castaway hopping through a moment later. He turned, seeing the airship was around a quarter mile away. He also saw a huge gelatinous mass, like a goopy grey sea where the farmhouse was. Bouncing about in the midst of it was Flea with Atomica hovering above and blasting huge swathes of energy into its mass and Bloodhound clawing any goop monsters that escaped the main mass...

Suddenly the airship EXPLODED!

The grey mass instantly went inert, dissolving into its constituent parts of tiny nannintes that activated their final function... self destruction!

Frostbite turned, and saw Frostbot reaching a hand to him! He reached his own hand out and a spark passed between the two... just as the grey form Frostbot wore vanished into grey goop then crackled and popped as microscopic machines self destructed!

"Phew!" exclaimed Castaway. "That was close. Your friend here will be ok, but he's had a battering." she said referring to Zoo Master who was unconscious.

For his part Frostbite waited, then called out in his mind 'Frostbot?'

Nothing.

Then his chestplate started to glow and he heard 'Rebooting. Functions normal. I am operational.' as a reply inside his head.

The hero sagged back.

Attack Choppers flew over the horizon, a dozen or so and he looked at the fiery raining debris of the Airship. It had come to retrieve the Eurotrash members without the means to escape under their own power and secure the Uranium. Instead it was a fiery ruin, many of the Eurotrash villains were unconscious and soon to be in prison, and the Uranium was safely on its way somewhere else. No one appeared to have lasting injuries aside from bruised egos and all would make a recover with a few weeks rest for the most badly battered.

Frostbite looked about. The sun was breaking through the clouds. The place looked like several bombs had gone off, black plumes of smoke spiralled in the air and grey sludge still spoiled the landscape but was rapidly self destructing. He felt the warmth on his skin and knew that though they'd cut it close, this was a win!

The youngster known as 'The Mighty Flea' bounded over with one terrific leap and landed a few feet away. "Hey! Whatever you did, thanks! Every time I hit one of those things it stretched and tried to gum me up! The only one who had much success was Atomica and she never much cared if I was near the stuff she was blasting!"

The boy had a shredded costume revealing skin through on his chest legs and arms along with a quarter of his mask. Frostbite could see him grinning through the tears though. "This was fun!" he laughed, looking around at the devastation.

Fun?

OOC That's a wrap for this issue and Frostbite's return to Earth. One more post/response from you and I'll post a wrap... and an epilogue...

Admin
Admin
Admin

https://darkeningshadows.darkbb.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Steeple_jackuk Tue May 05 2020, 20:16

Admin wrote:Fun?

OOC That's a wrap for this issue and Frostbite's return to Earth. One more post/response from you and I'll post a wrap... and an epilogue...

Frostbite took a moment to acknowledge Frostbots return. Although he realised he was a 'home' of sorts for his sentient AI, he began to see as never before that what he had wasn't to be kept, like some sort of pet on a leash. When he got a chance to talk with his companion, he would have to ask if he should approach Wandafar with building a permanent or as permanent as Frostbot would like, body for his friend. It wouldn't be easy, like losing part of himself. But he felt he owed it to the part of him that increasingly was and demonstrated a commendable form and function away from him. Maybe he deserved the chance to explore that. Frostbite felt he owed it to him to ask, and then let the decision be his.

Turning Zoo Master, Frostbite effortlessly picked up the youngster and turning to Castaway said, "I know things went south quite quickly, but I am glad you got to help us settle things up there. It's been good to work together. However, I think we, that is Shamrock and the team need to work on tactics a bit better. Mamba clearly left you guys for standing. He is a tricky customer, anyway its not my call. But it was great to have your help."

Moving over to the others, checking to make sure they were ok and talking when he could get a word in edgeways to the animated youth called Flea, Frostbite realised this undisciplined, unfocused youth was nonetheless a real powerhouse of potential and hormones. With a resigned knowing, he knew he had to offer the lad a chance to perhaps be mentored, whether that was with the Champions on himself he didn't know. At this time he didn't really know a whole lot. For the first time in his life, life ahead seemed to be an open road and he wasn't sure what direction it was going to take him. He had a base, he had support, but as of the moment no team, friends in far-flung places and lots of questions about what happened next. Oh and a long-overdue chat with Shamrock or whomever about a certain firebrand who needed a lesson in what the chain of command was about. He couldn't help wondering if Catherine was up to anything this evening. Wandafar was not going to detach himself from his TV for love nor money, but Frostbite felt the need to chat with someone with whom he could just be himself. R & R seemed to have been something he'd repeatedly missed out on. Maybe one night off, he was finally due.

Sj
Steeple_jackuk
Steeple_jackuk
Cosmic Level

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Wed May 06 2020, 09:15

An hour later Dawson finally trudged over. The place had been secured with armed guards positioned to watch for any Eurotrash reprisals, or anything from Professor Power.

"We've got the Uranium. Good work. A lot of the Eurotrash people have gone. Teleported, whisked away... who knows but we have a few of them shackled and watched. The UKChampions have turned up in numbers and we've secured this place." said the SMITE commander.

"I want to personally thank you Frostbite. I didn't know much about you before all of this aside from what little Kevin - Surge - told me. That wasn't much. He left your team feeling he was... better... than the other recruits. He admitted later he was wrong but he's learned and I feel he'll be an excellent agent. Thing is... my hands are tied with running SMITE and my budget is somewhat limited. He needs training and a firm hand, but there's no doubting his power or determination."

The soldier looked about, ran his hand through his close cropped hair and turned back to Frostbite. "I've been in touch with a man called Justin St Johns, special adviser to the government on metahuman affairs. He's also an independently rich man. I mentioned your name and it appears you two are acquainted."

Frostbite stifled a smile. He called one of Justins numerous homes his base!

"He's bankrolling a new government sanctioned team. The Executive is long gone of course, and the UKChampions are their own thing. They are by far the most powerful group probably in Europe now that ADVENT has scattered the supers on the continent. Now more than ever the British people and the Government need a back up plan. Here's the deal. You act semi autonomously as a hero group but when the British Government need you we collaborate closely to get the job done. That means access to crime scenes, cooperation with MI5, 6 and 7, the Police of course and we'll handle the press. UKC decided a while back they wanted distance from the state to ensure impartiality. That has caused them to butt heads with SMITE and SPRITE a number of times and we've had to back down, every time, sitting on our hands whilst they act with impunity."

"They aren't always right. No one is. There are a number of 'loose cannons' and massive egos in that team and we simply don't have the firepower or the means to keep them in check. They know how to play the media and to be quite frank, if they ever 'go bad' this country is in trouble. I know not everyone wants to 'get in bed' - even partially like I'm suggesting - with the Government but I promise you I will not put you in situations where your moral code is compromised. We tried that years ago. We failed. Think about it..."

With the sun setting on the scene and forensics sifting through the wreckage of the battle site looking for anything Prof Power might have left behind as well as recording the scene for evidence, Frostbite wondered where his life might take him next.

"Phew! Those guys can talk." said Flea. The boy wore a sleeve across his face tied like a mask with eye holes poked through. "Didn't want them getting a good look at my face! Got my parents and friends to consider. And University." he groaned. "Got a paper to put in for tomorrow and my excuses are wearing thin." he sighed.

He glanced about. Catherine had parked the flier. She wore a full face blacked out helmet to protect her own identity and had offered Flea a lift. Shamrock marched over with Bloodhound beside him. The Irish hero looked a little sheepish and Bloodhound spoke first. "We're supposed to be the professionals, the premier super team, and yet you led the line. We have to look at ourselves, hard."

Shamrock looked a little embarrassed. "I'm going to petition for a spot in the team for both of you." he said. "We'd be honoured if you'd consider it." he turned and left with Bloodhound and those UKChampions who'd not yet left thanks to a transport that turned up.

Flea watched them go and muttered "I'd rather bite my own ass than work with Atomica again." He turned to Frostbite and grinned "What have you got? I like the way you lead and I think I can learn a lot from you! If you have a team..." he looked around seeing they were the only ones stood about in that area "... and will have me, I'm in!"

Catherine walked over. "Come on you two. It looks like there's plenty to talk about on the way home."

=========

EPILOGUE

A darkened room. A wall of screens showed dozens of different angles of a superhero.

"Frostbite. Now I have a name. And a target. You have thwarted me, and I need a new focus." he cackled.

The shadowy figure flicked through various images captured of the hero. "Impressive. Not as powerful or flashy as some of the UKChampions, and not as egotistical. You succeeded where they failed. Where I failed. We will meet again, and next time... I will triumph!" laughed Professor Power!

OOC HP AWARD 200

FROSTBITE HP 216
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Steeple_jackuk Wed May 06 2020, 12:30

Soooo cool, thanks for that Paul. Really felt that was a massive challenge and I am not sure how we pulled it off. Thanks for all you did to front-load that into a really satisfying mission. As regards to the future, whilst UCK are deciding if they want me or not (I think that sitting down with the team would be a good idea, perhaps floating member) I'm open to working for the government on their initiative to rebuild a team that can work with the powers that be. After all, I was in their military...all be it a time ago.

As regards to Flea, we've got to think of a better name and sort out his having to make excuses, though I am sure he doesn't want to miss the whole 'University experience' thing. And Kevin, and think about where we go from here. Between "Flea" at one end, and Surge and then me in the middle, we're an odd bunch, and we are lacking in the mental and magic departments. Sun Girl and Zoo Master would be a help if they wanted in, but I wonder if we can recruit to see if we can't fill out where we're weakest.

Anyway back to you maestro

Sj
Steeple_jackuk
Steeple_jackuk
Cosmic Level

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Thu May 07 2020, 12:24

OOC Issue #9 is up!
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  DavidMcMahon Thu May 07 2020, 13:23

but you called it issue 8 as well.
DavidMcMahon
DavidMcMahon
Cosmic Level

Back to top Go down

Post  Steeple_jackuk Thu May 07 2020, 13:30

Admin wrote:OOC Issue #9 is up!

I saw that I will reply when I get a chance, bit too busy to do it justice just yet. Bear with...

Sj
Steeple_jackuk
Steeple_jackuk
Cosmic Level

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 7 of 7 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7