The Vanguard Play by Post Roleplaying Game
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The NEW Vanguard! Haunt Issue #7

3 posters

Page 2 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Go down

The NEW Vanguard! Haunt Issue #7 - Page 2 Empty Re: The NEW Vanguard! Haunt Issue #7

Post  Admin Sat Jan 26 2019, 11:47

Haunt readied himself for the blows.

OOC Stretching 5Aps to add to RV14= RV 19. It might be enough... or not...

Roll(2d10)+0: 7,10,+0 Total:17 +Dex 11 (28) vs TN11 + Dex 5 (16). +5EV to 7EV (12) vs RV19 No damage

Roll(2d10)+0: 8,1,+0 Total:9 Hit, but no damage.

Haunt ignores the blows as they pound on him. His keen mind gathered what clues he had gleaned. Powerful at distance, weaker up close. Still superhuman though. Their weapons. They might...

OOC Power Drain attack on:

Dex Str Regeneration

Roll(2d10)+0: 6,4,+0 Total:10 + Power Drain 20 (30) vs OV14 + Multi Attack +4 (18) + Tn11 (29). +1 Ev. 21EV vs RV14 +4 (18). -3APs.

Haunt now has:

Dex 2 Str 6 Regeneration 0
Stretching 2
Omni Arm 6
Self Manipulation 2
Initiative is now down to 18.

Roll(4d10)+0:
10 Haunt (28)
6 Archon (32)
10 Archon (36)
5 Thin Man (29)

The Archons pound again... I assume Haunt uses the last of his stretching ability to absorb the blows as best he can...

Roll(2d10)+0: 5,7,+0 Total:12 + Dex 11 (23) vs TN11 + Dex 2 + 8 (Critical Blow) (21). EV7 +2 (9) vs RV16 - 12 (Crit Blow)= 5 damage

Finally, Haunt succumbs. Even as the blows rain in he thinks 'Cowards! It took three of them to take me down! Those weapons.. without them, they are... the others... Yeoman, Dr P. They have to be warned. They were powerful and had...'

The next blow came in, and everything went dark.

=========

OOC Oh no! What will happen to our hero? Is he dead? Has villainy across the land breathed a massive sigh of relief because the Haunt is no more?

I think not. Here comes the time jump...
Admin
Admin
Admin

https://darkeningshadows.darkbb.com

Back to top Go down

The NEW Vanguard! Haunt Issue #7 - Page 2 Empty Re: The NEW Vanguard! Haunt Issue #7

Post  Admin Sat Jan 26 2019, 12:10

The NEW Vanguard! Haunt Issue #7 - Page 2 Advent

...is here!

Later...

"Hurry up!"

"Shhhh!"

"Another patrol is on the way!"

"We can't rush these things!"

"Praetorious... I'm tellin ya. If you don't pull them chuffin cables out right now I'm gonna ..."

"Alright! Alright. He's... He's just so frail. This isn't like Rush. Look at him!"

"I'd rather not. Where did those scars come from? His face looks like it was melte... wait! Down! Dammit! We're out of time..."

=========

Later still...

"Keep your head down! Another patrol is flying over. Wait... wait... Ok. Central, this is Gatecrasher. We have the package. Repeat, package secured. Request immediate evac. Need immediate attention draw.... And tell them... good luck. I won't forget what has been done today."

Rush King recognised the voice. Yeoman. Jack. His friend. Another friend, more like a brother. Dr Praetorious. Was he...?

"Rest Rush. You need to lie still." came another voice. Dr P.

Haunt turned his head, but found it restrained, along with the rest of him. No, not restrained. Paralysed. He couldn't move!

"You've been in stasis for... a while. Try to relax. We're getting you out of here." said Dr P. Haunt could barely open his eyes, and when they did, they were blurred. One was like before. Closed. By the acid burn. His powers! He...

Haunt was powerless!

Somewhere an explosion went off, followed by the ratttatatatata of sustained gunfire. Another explosion!

"Ok. Let's go!" said Jack, and his strong arms scooped Haunts' limp form up as if it were nothing! Bouncing about. Dark, light, more gunfire, explosions. Someone screamed. Sirens going off. It was dark. Or was it? Yes, the light came from flames, explosions... What was going on?

He succumbed to darkness again, mercifully.

=========

Daylight crept into the corner of a window where the blinds weren't properly folded.

With a groan Rush King opened his one good eye. The other worked, to a fashion, but weeped and blurred almost constantly. Pretty much as it had before he'd gained his powers.

Clamping it shut with iron hard will he sat up gingerly. Atrophied muscles were weak, and he sagged back with the effort. Some kind of small room. Flaking plaster walls. Water stains. A bed like a gurney. Pipes, a machine hooked up. Transfusion of some kind.

A door opened, and a familiar face looked up from a chart. Unshaven, haggard looking, hair a mess. Even by his standards, Dr Praetorious' had let himself go. His clothes were dirtied, torn in places, and sooted by black patches here and there. Possibly blood stains too.

He looked tired. To his bones.

When he saw Haunt was awake, he moved to the side of the bed, tears welling in his eyes. In a rare show of emotion for the brilliant scientist, he clasped Rush Kings hand, and to Haunts alarm, he could feel Dr P's puny strength through it!

"I thought we'd lost you. We DID lose you. But now you're back... and we need you more than ever!" he breathed, wiping away a tear from his cheek.

"The world you know it has changed... and not for the better!"

OOC So begins the world according to ADVENT. As you may have figured from the pounding Haunt has taken, I guarantee this will be the toughest adventure yet!
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  DavidMcMahon Tue Jan 29 2019, 14:49

"What? How? Why aren't I dead? Is this a dream," the Haunt/Rush King muttered to mostly himself but loud enough for his friend to hear him.
"I was ... attacked by the enemy," he continued, trying to put his memory back together.
"I tried sneaking into their ship but was somehow spotted as a super instead of as a large albatross I was pretending to be. Maybe their scanners can tell when people with powers get close to them? They have a weapon that drains powers. I learned that too late and tried to fight but ... but ... I was blasted and went unconscious. I think ... that's all I remember ... some flashes of pain ... or maybe that part was a dream?"
"No it couldn't be, not with my body like this!"
"Why save me, Doc? I have no powers! You are probably strong than I am!"
Rush was close to breaking down but was desperately looking for something to keep it together."
DavidMcMahon
DavidMcMahon
Cosmic Level

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Tue Jan 29 2019, 22:51

Dr P glanced at Jack who moved over to easily but gently press Haunt back onto the gurney.

"Hush. Listen, there is much to say."

"The aliens appeared over the skies where the monsters were attacking the cities. Only the UK and USA had stopped their own monsters, but the rest of the world was grateful when the Aliens defeated the monsters. They were persuasive too. Offering their advanced technology to help rebuild and shape a new world order. They call it ADVENT."

Dr P turned bitterly at that.

"The armed forces of many countries were crushed. Russia tried to nuke the Aliens. The bomb was neutralised at source. They sent another. It was detonated remotely. Siberia is a nuclear wasteland in parts."

"The UN and leaders of the world were approached and a deal was offered. The USA holds out, as does the UK. As yet the Aliens have not taken aggressive action towards those countries. It's a sham, however. The countries of the world that have aligned with ADVENT seem to prosper and there is plenty of everything. Employment, money, food, luxuries. On the surface it seems idyllic, and why would the remaining countries not align? However, here in France, and in other countries, we did as you said. There are resistance cells. A few of us, hiding in plain sight sometimes, but taking a great, terrible risk. ADVENT troopers form a formidable paramilitary that is always hunting for subversives. We intercepted part of a message that we managed to decode, and that led us to a facility where they were holding you."

"When they moved you, we struck. That's why you are free. They have... gene therapy clinics. They seek to 'enhance the human condition' supposedly, but I think they have other aims. They are actively seeking superhumans. Rewards are given to hand in family, friends. Secret identities are little barrier. Some of the Aliens have powerful mental abilities and can read minds. Those of us who saw what was happening managed to create a means to remain undetetced so long as they didn't use their powers. Every street in every lamp post or street light, their sensors form a net to instantly detect and pinpoint superhuman abilities. Why? We don't know. We must find out."

Yeoman spoke up "Some superhumans - criminals and heroes - banded together into an army to attack the Aliens. They were disowned by the public and political figures of their countries. We don't know what happened to all of them, but most were captured. It's bad, Haunt. Real bad."

"Rush, you need time to recover. I believe they were extracting DNA from you but for what purpose I do not know. I think your powers will return, but you need time. And ... we may be running out. The strike on the convoy clearly stirred up a hornets nest and door to door searches are underway." said Dr P.

"We are preparing to move from this place. We need to keep moving. Worse than that, we need a plan, leadership. I am a scientist..."

"I'm a soldier" said Yeoman.

"We need to get out of here then strike back. Find out what the aliens are doing, and why. And what could this mean for Humanity? What do they plan against the countries that have not fallen in line with ADVENT?" asked Dr P.

Haunt considered. Dr P, the smartest man he knew, thought his powers might return. Before then, his mind, his cunning, his leadership abilities were more important, not just for their tiny resistance cell in France, but perhaps for all of humanity!

"We need to move! ADVENT sky transport, standard size so eight or ten on board, incoming!" said a young woman. She dressed in plain clothes but carried an UZI submachinegun. "Get him out. We'll... we'll stay behind to cover your escape!"

Somewhere outside the roar of an engine in the air suggested that at some point in the near future, doors would be knocked down and hard questions asked!
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  DavidMcMahon Sat Feb 02 2019, 14:12

"And I am an actor, no an ACT TOR!" the Haunt says as he tries to rise to get where his friends want to take him, "that means I can act like a leader even better than most leaders can! Let's go!"
DavidMcMahon
DavidMcMahon
Cosmic Level

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Sun Feb 03 2019, 08:57

Without his costume Yeoman looked like an athlete in civvies.

he seemed to have taken extra care to look less so, with loose fitting clothing and an unkempt appearance. Haunt didn't need to do anything for that. Clothes hung off his malnourished frame and his gaunt appearance made him look like a refugee from a war zone. Perhaps that was what he was? His face and neck though bore the horrendous scars from the acid burns and he only had a partial head of hair where the pink flesh looked melted and raw.

He turned away from the dusty mirror he'd walked past and with Dr P's aid on unsteady legs, made his way outside. The bright sunlight of the day hurt his eyes and every step brought pain. It felt like there were multiple holes in his back, and not small ones. Reaching up, there was also one in the back of his skull, one big enough to put a finger in. It was smooth, bored out, as if the flesh had grown around a metal implant.

He glanced at Dr P who looked sadly at him and muttered "Come on."

They climbed into a battered looking car and smoked off. As it moved Haunt looked out of the window. The 'old Paris' was ground level, with huge struts holding up roads and platforms with buildings on them. All this in such a short time? The new build looked clean, shiny and clearly wasn't just metal, nor concrete. It was bright, clean and looked brand new. Few cars were traversing those higher motorways, but one Haunt saw looked more like it was off the drawing board of a concept car rather than one you could buy from a showroom. High rise buildings stood on these supported platforms and touched the clouds! this was impossible! How had...?

"The Aliens rebuilt the city with astounding efficiency, clearly. Without red tape, using advanced next level technology and given free rein, it was clear that those favoured few living in the sun as the higher city expanded would be on the side of the aliens. Those living below, in the dirt, shadows and trash, were the forgotten ones, or too poor to buy a place in this brave new world.

The injustice rankled at Haunt.

=========

"Home sweet home!" said Jack (Yeoman) as they pulled up at a deserted looking farmhouse on the outskirts of Paris.

The drive had taken several hours. In that time Haunt had seen flying vehicles swooping up and down at city level. They were boxy but clearly capable of VTOL flight.

Dr P eased his neck muscles and looked about. The farm was untended and wild fields grew fallow all around. Birds tweeted, somewhere a dog barked and all seemed well.

He turned to Haunt. "Here's the situation. It's taken us this long to find where they kept you and mount a strike to get you free. Paris will be crawling with ADVENT forces now looking for us, but they are still in the process of building checkpoints so the old ways out of the city aren't all covered. We can get back in unseen for the time being. The thing is, why? The French government has been replaced and all on line with the Alien occupation. That's what it is, despite noises of partnership and a new world order. The French were quick to surrender when their conventional forces were battered into the floor in hours, not days. With food in their bellies and a new program of building luxury houses for those on board, the populace in Paris at least were quick to embrace the invasion. Not everyone though. We have contacts, an underground movement and the will to get the word out that the Aliens are not our friends. We need proof though that their being here is a bad thing. Why are they here? What do they want?"

Yeoman came over with half a dozen holdalls stuffed with clothes and weapons, food and medical supplies. Out here he could use super powers without being detected. "Who cares? We need to stop them. Drive them out. Let people govern themselves again."

Dr P turned to Haunt. "it will be tricky to get out of France. I think we can do it though. We have friends at Calais that can get us to Dover. The UK hasn't gone over to the ADVENT side yet and we might be better building up a force there. Or acting here. We need new ideas. Operating with super powers in the cities is dangerous. They can detect the power use and come down like a cloud of flies on anyone with those power zapping things. What do you think?"

It was clear he was trying to get Haunt back in the fight.
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  DavidMcMahon Thu Feb 07 2019, 14:05

ooc: I had a reply almost done last week but my computer crashed. Took me this long to get back to this. sorry.

"Propaganda war," the Haunt said after thinking it over a bit. "That's the start. What are they doing to media outlets? Radio, TV, newspapers and Internet? Is it still up or are they totally in control of it? Are those who oppose them still there or have they "vanished"?"

"The way I am now, the way I look, would make me a poster child to start this propaganda, though they will obviously come back with their own version of events or say since I am a shape shifter, I chose to look like this. But those willing to believe the truth will not be fooled. Those who don't care about the truth and just want to get on with their lives will ignore everything we say and do."

he grimaces.

"America is probably divided hard on this issue. I bet the Blue States are all clamoring to be a part of this Brave New World while the Red States, meaning most of the US in territory if not population, are totally against anyone trying to subvert the Constitution and the right to rule themselves. But after what happened in New York, maybe not."

"Well, without powers, I am still a pretty good detective, master of disguise kinda of, and have some good thieving skills, all needed for the fight for Justice. I heal up and then we see what we can do about infiltrating them and getting stronger proof of who and what they really are."
DavidMcMahon
DavidMcMahon
Cosmic Level

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Mon Feb 11 2019, 10:39

"Hearts and minds stuff huh?" said Yeoman as the small group stood around the farmyard kitchen table.

Dr P interjected. "Until such time as we can strike back, it may be our only option. I see this as a 'Long War' though. We can't fix what is happening overnight. Heh. Even if it seems like Advent can. Look."

He activated a laptop and played a video where robotic machines repaired roads in minutes and erected stanchions to serve as supports for roads and platforms for further buildings. "They use our materials in ways our technology and ideas could not envision, and highlight how ineffectual we have been by ignoring red tape, regulation and politics by simply 'getting stuff done'." he shook his head. "People used to politicians saying much and doing little or nothing are flocking to Advent banner. And yet, despite the seeming good works I cannot help but feel that the Aliens want something. What it is, why, I do not yet know. If we can find out, expose their true plan - and it surely must be for their own ends, not for humanity's gain - then we can stand the best chance of convincing the people."

The NEW Vanguard! Haunt Issue #7 - Page 2 Advent-forces-1

Yeoman sagged. "I feel useless. All our powers, our strength..."

"The more power you use, the more chance they have of detecting it." said Dr P.

"Our power is great enough, combined, that we can fight!" said Yeoman.

Haunt could see the problems therein. The Advent coalition between Alien and Civilian governments would seize on the chance to use propaganda to convince the population that superhumans were acting outside the law as terrorists.

Information would be their greatest weapon in taking the fight back to the Alien invaders, and that is what they were. Stopping the great monster wave and rebuilding the devastation at no cost to the public purse was one thing, forming an unelected government and determining new laws without opposition was another. And what was the Aliens end game? Why was all this taking place?

The screen switched to an Advent run television channel, reporting on all the good works and benefits the new regime was bringing. People would lap it up while their bellies were full and their purses untouched. They'd forget over time the sacrifice their forefathers and mothers made to win their freedom to live how they wished. Democracy? That would be the first casualty of this Brave New World.

There were also worrying reports of disappearances, and anyone who shouted too loud about it joined them. That sort of thing never reached the news channels. It was whispered on street corners, passed in hastily scribbled notes, kept away from the technology channels of mobile phones and the internet which were monitored in ways the original creators never thought possible.

Great corporations suddenly found their influence and power were threatened by this new world order, and there were reports in some countries that Advent had simply taken the corporations under their banner with no word as to how it happened.

Haunt was in no doubt. This was a war. A different kind of war, where the mind would be the greatest weapon against an overwhelming force!

Suddenly a breathless operative ran in, looking about, glancing at Haunts ruined face, then addressing Yeoman. "Sirs! We just got word from a cell of our field operatives! An Advent transport landed in a village not far from here and started rounding people up! Our people, despite being only a handful, used a grenade to take out some of the Advent forces, but the world will have gone out. More Advent will be on the way!"

Yeoman rolled his eyes. "Then what are we to...?"

Dr P turned to Haunt. "This... may be a chance to get information. Capture injured Advent forces. Maybe even that transport! Who knows what we could glean from their technology? Perhaps we can even find a way to make superhumans invisible to their scanners!"

Suddenly Yeoman perked up. He turned to Haunt. "You're in no position to fight, but... are you ready to get back into the saddle? As you say, you're a sharp tack, no doubt. We need someone in the field to spot the details whilst I and others are bashing heads!"

Dr P made a sharp intake of breath "I really thing Haunt should stay here with me and coordinate..."

Yeoman turned "No! Look, we need to seize on opportunities, not let them pass by! We may not get another chance! What do you think, Haunt?"
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  DavidMcMahon Mon Feb 11 2019, 13:17

"How to Serve Man from the Twilight Zone. V the miniseries and TV series," the Haunt mumbled, then looked up after being lost in thought for a bit, thinking over propaganda ideas.

"Okay, field work it is," he replies.  "I will watch from a distance and see what I can see.  Since I do not know much if anything about what you have set up and how you do things, not getting directly involved but staying at a distance is what I should do ... for now."

ooc:  Remind me, what are my power and skill settings without my costume?
DavidMcMahon
DavidMcMahon
Cosmic Level

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Sat Feb 16 2019, 10:18

OOC Off the top of my head (getting ready for work)

Dex 5, Str 3, Body 5
int 8 Will 8 Mind 10
infl 8 Aura 5 Spirit 10

NO POWERS at the moment
Skills:

All skills at normal levels apart from Weaponry (not working at moment)

Acrobatics 5 Artist Charisma Detective Thief all 7

Yeoman, in civvies, led the way

He drove the four by four with wild abandon, throwing everyone about until a slap on the arm from a female operative reminded him that not everyone was bulletproof. Including Haunt now.

"Balaclavas people!" said Yeoman. "No need for them to get a good look at our faces!" He glanced at Haunts mangled melted face "Uh, sorry buddy. You know what I mean."

Tearing up a dust cloud as they sped across back roads and fields at high speed, the group in the SUV saw a trail of smoke rising from behind some trees. And they heard the unmistakable sound of gunfire, though it was louder and 'more metallic' than Haunt remembered.

Seeing the look on his face, Yeoman looked over from the drivers seat. "The Advent forces use Magnetic guns for the most part. They have more advanced weapons that are deadlier but for crowd control and quelling population at demonstrations, a few blasts of these things get people running. They probably wouldn't hurt me, but you guys... and you in your current state? I'd keep your head down. The fact they are firing means our people didn't get everyone and they are probably looking to hold on till support arrives."

Yeoman was right. The SUV pulled up and everyone hopped out into the cover of trees, making their way from trunk to trunk to get to the edge of a clearing.

A plane of some kind had crash landed and taken out a few trees, but it was surprisingly intact. They were on the blind side so Haunt and co couldn't see the aliens or guerrillas but they could hear them. An opportunity to sneak up and surprise the bad guys?

The NEW Vanguard! Haunt Issue #7 - Page 2 Downed-skyranger
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  DavidMcMahon Tue Feb 19 2019, 13:16

"Take it slow," the Haunt said, forgetting that these were all experts in their craft and how to deal with the enemy while forgetting he was the rookie. "Let's see how close we can get and see what we can see. Look for stragglers. Maybe we can capture them. Play it by ear until we know what the situation is now."

Haunt will stay to the rear since he doesn't know this kind of thing well and doesn't want to give away the team.
DavidMcMahon
DavidMcMahon
Cosmic Level

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Thu Feb 21 2019, 10:15

Yeoman, ducked down, nods. "Righto. You two." he whispers. "Get round the side. There. And... there."

The two operatives in question nod and stay low as they run.

Yeoman turned to Haunt. "if it were a stand up fight I can take most of their conventional goons. Unfortunately using superpowers tends to set alarms off and before you know it... well, a shindig becomes a get together."

He nods once more to Haunt then sprints, low and fast, to the downed plane.

When he gets closer, he takes a hand hold and climbs onto the hull, higher and higher until he's near the top. Then he pauses, and turns to where Haunt is crouched. Hanging on with a hand, he points to the plane, then gives a shrug and a thumbs up. What can he mean?

Haunt glances to the two operatives on the flank. They are in position. They give a thumbs up and keep an eye out for Haunt to give the go signal. Unfortunately Haunt can't actually see what it is they face from here. On the other side of the plane sporadic gunfire continues. The heavier recoil-less magnetic weapons of the Aliens ring out. They sound powerful.

Just then Haunt sees, on the blind side of the front of the plane, an ADVENT trooper is moving around the plane, presumably to flank the rebels on the other side! Yeoman can't see it from where he's climbing, but the trooper will see him in moments!

The NEW Vanguard! Haunt Issue #7 - Page 2 Advent-trooper

OOC Haunt is about 50 yards away.

If only Haunt still had... wait. What was that tingling?

OOC You have FIVE APs of powers to assign. Split or pour into one ability as you see fit.
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  DavidMcMahon Tue Feb 26 2019, 13:08

What to do? If he uses his powers, he may set off an alarm and more powerful foes might show up. If he doesn't this goes pear-shaped quickly with Yeoman and the others getting attacked. Heck with it!

Looking around he grabs up some loose rocks and using his Omni-Arm [putting all 5 APs into] power, he blasts/throws [whichever is appropriate when stretching isn't involved] at the ADVENT Trooper.
DavidMcMahon
DavidMcMahon
Cosmic Level

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Wed Feb 27 2019, 08:54

OOC Best bet would be Dex, but Omni Arm also boosts Haunts strength to 5APs when required so it may be useful.

Haunt scoops up rocks and forms his arm into a cannon of sorts, blasting at the ADVENT trooper!

OOC Roll(2d10)+0: 6,3,+0 Total:9 + Dex 5 (14) vs TN11 + Dex 7 (18) - 4 (Surprise). HIT but not effective. EV5 (omni Arm) vs RV7. No damage!

Unfortunately his shot, whilst accurate, only serves to shower the Trooper in a light rain of pebbles and dust. The armour allows the Trooper to simply shrug off the effect and it turns, moves to cover and levels an effective looking machine gun at Haunt! uh oh!

This was going to hurt! in fact it might be the end of...

OOC Roll(6d10)+0: 1,6,4,3,1,5,+0 Total:11 Cripes, proof rolling mountains of dice provides no guarantee of success. + Dex 9 (20) vs TN11 + Dex 7 (18). EV13 + 2 (15) vs RV7 = RAPs 8.

ADVENT TROOPER
Dex 7 Str 4 Body 6
Int 4 Will 3 Mind 5
Infle 4 Aura 4 Spirit 5
Skin Armour 1 (Bashing) 2 (Killing)
Weaponry/Ranged 3
Magnetic Machine Gun EV 8 (Bashing) EV 6 (Killing) Shots 4 Range 3

Suddenly Yeoman (in civilian guise as Jack Robertson) appears from above and clatters the Trooper with a fist to the back of the head, despite the Troopers best efforts to avoid it!. The Trooper clatters, face down, and Yeoman looks up. "Keep your head down Rush! No powers mate! You ... wait, your arms... does that mean...?"

OOC Roll(4d10)+0: 3,6,5,6,+0 Total:12 DOUBLE plus Roll(2d10)+0: 10,1,+0 Total:23 + Dex 7 (30) vs TN11 + Dex 9 (20). HIT +4 EV. EV 8 + 4 (12) vs RV12. No damage.

With a sound like thunder the magnetic machine gun in the hands of an Advent Trooper rings out as another Trooper rounds the side of the downed jet plane. Jack (Yeoman) staggers as round after round slams into him and glances at the Trooper. "That's blown it! If my punch didn't set the alarms off, my invulnerability will have! I'll take care of this goon, but we have only minutes before this place is crawling!"

Haunt stifled a curse. His weakness had sprung the ambush even though he'd probably not really affected the way things would have worked out. The tingling in his arms faded, and he wondered if he had lost all his powers again. Then he noticed the magnetic machine gun on the floor near to the downed trooper Yeoman had taken down.

That might have more punch than he had, and it wouldn't trigger the sensors that ADVENT troops carried!

OOC You're up. The Ambush is a bust. At some point soon an ADVENT squad will swoop down the sky from a transport.
Your powers have not gone, you have 5APs that is switchable to restore up to 5APs of lost abilities as you see fit. It can be switched from round to round, but if you use the same restore for 3 rounds or more concurrently it will 'stick' and you can't switch it any more.

Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  DavidMcMahon Tue Mar 05 2019, 13:52

With Yeoman now stuck playing the role of fighter instead of information gatherer, the Haunt felt he needed to step up into that role as well as provide what support he could. He ran for the downed weapon, mentally shifting his new flux power into his Dex, thinking it would allow him to be able to hit the broad side of a barn if he had to fire the weapon. He went for the weapon and moved towards the ship to see what information he could gather from it while being ready to begin fighting. He examined it to figure out how to use it.
DavidMcMahon
DavidMcMahon
Cosmic Level

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Tue Mar 05 2019, 18:55

Yeoman leaps/flies across to the Trooper and snatches the rifle off him, causing the trooper to stagger!

"Oops! You didn't need those fingers did you?" asks yeoman, looked at the severed digits as they fall to the floor. "Too bad." He slams the rifle butt across the troopers' face, smashing the helmet and sending him flying. Turning, he shouts "Hey! I think this plane thing is running! I can feel it vibrating!"

Haunt rushes forward to scoop up the weapon. It was surprisingly light though Haunt was still in superb physical shape and far stronger than the ordinary man or woman on the street! Checking it, he saw several switches. Pointing the gun away to the ground, he pulled the trigger and... nothing.

Flicked switches. Nothing.

OOC Detective check. Int 8 + Roll(6d10)+0: 8,4,2,4,6,10,+0 Total:18 (the double is always nice but an 18 will do it) vs TN11 + OV7 (18) +4EV (to 12) - RV7= 5 RAPs. That'll do.

A useless gun? Then he noticed something. The palm grip was strange in that it seemed to be slightly warm to the touch. Frowning under his ski mask, Haunt wondered if Dr P might be able to get the gun working. He glanced at the downed trooper. Might be something in their DNA that activates the gun, and Dr P might be able to get round that... with a live sample of the aforementioned DNA.

As for the ship... Up close the paint was scuffed but there wasn't even so much of a dent, even given that it had slammed pretty hard and ploughed a furrow through trees and the ground! As shots rang out he kept his head down and looked the ship over. Engines of an unknown circular propulsion type, the metal felt... weird. Not like metal, more like a sort of plastic/alloy. What was it doing here? He moved over to the cockpit, still mostly submerged into the floor. Looking through the unbroken windows he saw two dazed pilots, dressed in white armour unlike the other troopers which looked rather less bulky and protective. They were desperately flicking switches and pressing buttons.

Suddenly a high pitched whine started up, and the craft shuddered! The ground started to shake!

Haunt knew in the next few moments that this thing might break free of its temporary home and his fledgling resistance probably needed the technology of this ship AND its transport capabilities more than the aliens did!

"Better hurry up, whatever we're doing!" shouted Yeoman as he kicked another Trooper clean across the clearing to thud into a tree. That one seemed to shudder as it struck, and the weapon in its hand flew off before tumbling to the ground and disintegrating! He might not have know it, but Yeoman had revealed to Haunts keen analytical detective mind that these weapons were DNA specific and tied to the user to prevent them being used by an enemy! The Trooper had died - unfortunately - but this WAS war after all, and possibly a fight for Humanity's survival that it might sleepwalk into losing unless Haunt and others like him figured out what they wanted and how they intended to achieve it!

Somewhere the distant boom of a supersonic jet echoed across the sky. Incoming!
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  DavidMcMahon Wed Mar 27 2019, 15:15

ooc: Sorry, had a long time brain fart and couldn't figure out what to do.

Any way to open the hatch so the Haunt can get in amongst the pilot and co-pilot and maybe hijack the plane? Override the ejection system to have them eject? Since he doesn't have piloting skill, unless someone else on the team has it, trying to steal the plane if pretty much out of the question.

"Anyone know how to fly a plane," he shouts out as he tries to figure out how to get at the pilot.

Other plan I can come up with is to get the trooper that was taken down whose gun he has and kidnap him so Doc P can try to figure out the weapon system and other tech goodies he might have on his body. If he can get the pilot and co-pilot out too, he could do the same with them. I am assuming, like most military pilots, they have a sidearm that we could evaluate and maybe other tech as well.

My only real fear is that any of these folks could have trackers on them that would lead the enemy right to us.

Now you know why I am having a hard time figuring out what to do, tracking by the enemy would kill us all. And tracking systems on troops is getting kind of common in our real world.
DavidMcMahon
DavidMcMahon
Cosmic Level

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Mon Apr 01 2019, 14:09

Haunt took in what he knew.

The aliens had landed the ship - hard from the looks of it - and were still shaken. They'd disembarked to form a perimeter until help arrived. Which was on its way.

Yeoman polished off the last of the perimeter guards and Haunt checked out the rear hatch of the ship. It looked like some kind of access panel opened it up. Hmmm. That would prove tricky for Haunt to crack. he looked about. If the power were out on the thing, would the hatch be permanently sealed or was there a way...

Aha!

Using his keen intellect he found an access panel that required a strange key to open, one with three triangles and a circle in each. He imagined it would be about the size of a dinner plate with a handle. Not something anyone would normally carry about at any rate! Luckily...

Haunt applied his thoughts to his hands. Though well down on power he appeared able to concentrate his energies to restore some of his abilities. In this case, he altered his arm to spread out, flood over and clamp down on the lock. Then he turned.

With a hiss the hatch released and slowly lowered...

And Haunt had to dive aside as a magnetically propelled bullet zipped past him from inside! "Here, let me sort that out, Spooky chops!" said Yeoman as he gently pushed past Haunt and into the ship.

SMECK! THWACK!

"All clear!" came the shout from within.

"Looks undamaged in here. Some access panels open... Nothing damaged. I'm no expect but I reckon this thing will fly, just needs a drag out of the floor..." said Yeoman as Haunt stepped on board. It was obviously alien/future tech with clean lines and minimal frippery, but inside the hold area was seating for around a dozen people and space for equipment. Haunt looked about again. Something, an inkling, told him this was not a standard craft. It didn't have the same paint scheme he'd seen on other Advent vehicles from the rebel videos he'd watched and those he'd seen with his own eyes. This was something else. A prototype. On a shakedown cruise. Probably wouldn't be fitted out yet with all the other stuff it might have, including weapons.

Possibly not even tracked. Though the troops may well be.

He chewed his lip. The incoming ship and support wouldn't be long, and if they didn't get a reply from the troops Yeoman had downed they'd call for backup. The troops would be tracked, he was sure of it. What of the ship though? It was unfinished, rough round the edges, operational equipment like weapons, winches, lifters and the like weren't on board, but the Rebels could use something like this. Praetorious could adapt it. Change it to suit their needs.

He walked into the cockpit.

"We haven't got long mate. What we doing?" asked Yeoman.

The angles, the shape of the craft. The minimalistic nature. Could this be some kind of stealth craft? Only Dr P could confirm that, but first they'd have to decide whether to take it or trash it. And if they took it, it would need pulling out of the ground then someone to fly it... Yeoman could fly under his own power, but that would set off the power detectors. It was a huge risk. Worth it...?
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  DavidMcMahon Tue Apr 16 2019, 13:22

"What are we doing? Hopefully we can steal this thing for our own use," the Haunt replies. "Need to get it out of the ground. Maybe you and I together could do that? And then we need to fly it. Anyone on the team a pilot?"
DavidMcMahon
DavidMcMahon
Cosmic Level

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Wed Apr 17 2019, 16:21

Yeoman raised an eyebrow, shrugged, then said "We need a lever, or pulley of some kind..."

No sooner said than done as Haunt formed into a block and tackle. He wasn't strong enough to support the weight of the vessel but with some clever uses of fallen trees...

Yeoman followed Haunts instructions and with use of the trees, Haunts stretchy body and his superhuman strength, pulled the ship out of the ground and onto firmer grass!

In the cockpit the pair stared at a strange array of buttons and controls. Some of the stuff was easy to deduce but instead of a stick there were two spheres.

"Pitch, Yaw, tilt... throttle?" suggested one of the resistance fighters. "I'm a pilot but this? It's beyond me."

Yeoman groaned. "Right, everyone on board. Haunt, You need to... I don't know, take your best guess. I'll get us in the air."

With that he went outside, underneath and hefted the ship up and slowly took off. "I can fly it as far as need be, it's lighter than I thought, but I'll set the damn alien alarms off the closer we get to a town, then this whole place will be crawling!"

OOC Roll(2d10)+0: 5,4,+0 Total:9 + Int 8 vs TN 11 + Difficulty 9 (20). failed

"Keep going!" Shouted Haunt. "I'll get it..." he muttered. Outside Yeoman shouted "We're running out of time!"

OOC Roll(2d10)+0: 6,9,+0 Total:15 +Int 8 (23) vs TN 11 + Difficulty 9 (20). Success. Not by much.

Haunt pressed buttons, moved levers, turned dials. Nothing. He put a foot on one pedal, both, a hand on each sphere... nothing. Then he stretched his body to press random buttons at the same time and... The engines roared into life and the ship tilted forwards, picking up speed!

Yeoman swooped inside and hung onto something. "We need to set this thing down out of sight. And by set down I mean not crash again. It's lighter and tougher than it looks though, and whilst it looks rough round the edges rather than shiny and new like the usual Alien stuff, we might be onto something here..."

==========

"Any landing you can walk away from..." muttered Yeoman.

"Or in this case, swim."

They'd put down in a river. Yeoman had swooped out, scooped the ship up and floated over to a copse of trees. From here They'd head back to base in a car leaving troopers to guard their new find. Haunt had managed to steer it in the right direction but landing was beyond him. After a quick vote, he angled it gently towards a river and sent a bunch of geese flying for cover.

==========

"The chatter has been extensive. Whatever that plane thing is, the Aliens want it back! The fact they haven't found it yet means it's good news for us!" said Dr Praetorius as he sat in the back of a bouncing 4x4 a couple of hours later, heading to the plane site with Haunt, Yeoman and a driver for company.

Just then the driver pressed a finger to his ear. "Eh? What? Slow down. Now, say..." he listened. Yeoman in the back stopped chattering and everyone listened as the driver spoke.

"Sirs. An interesting development. Our intel operatives have been tracking targets of interest. One such, a German Scientist named Moira Vahlen has been captured by the aliens whilst trying to flee the country. Her theories and express desire to eject the aliens have made her underground Utube channel must watch viewing, even if here theories and science are over most peoples heads. Seems she was picked up... only an hours drive from here... and is being held."

Dr P turned to Haunt. "We need that ship. But..."

Yeoman rolled his eyes. "Let me guess, this Dr Vahlen is a looker? AND she hates the aliens. Right?"

Dr P blushed "I am speaking from a purely scientific perspective! Her theories are brilliant. I tried on when we got hold of an expired Alien. Without the proper equipment my tests were not as conclusive as I'd like, but with the right equipment and her techniques... I believe we can examine the Aliens we defeat and find ... something. Weakness, maybe. Some vulnerability that will even the odds. She is worth the risk it will take to free her."

Yeoman sighed. "I thought the ship was..." he stopped as he saw Dr P's plaintive look. "I can't do all the science stuff on my own. I'm one man, and I haven't slept in days." He turned to Haunt. "We need her."

Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  DavidMcMahon Tue Apr 30 2019, 16:09

"So you and the driver go to the ship," the Haunt suggested. "Yeoman and I will try to go rescue your pretty doctor "friend". I'm sure she will be happy to help us out after that. Sound good?" The Haunt is smiling but since it is under his mask, no one could tell except maybe the sound of his voice.
DavidMcMahon
DavidMcMahon
Cosmic Level

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Wed May 01 2019, 22:24

Dr P looked nervous but nodded. "Alright. We'll get the ship moving."

Yeoman nodded to Haunt and popped his knuckles. "Whether we like it or not it looks like we'll have to use our powers. You feel up to it pal?"

With Haunts nod Yeoman turned to Dr P. "We'll grab your girlfriend then head straight for the ship. It's going to be 'hot' by then, and we'll have Aliens all over our asses. That cloaked ship might actually be our best bet of 'vanishing' from their scans!"

He held out a hand. "Hang on Spooky. The time for stealth is up!!!"

Haunt used his Omni Arm to form an Ocotpus tentacle around Yeomans' arm and gave a nod. With that, they were off, up in the sky and blasting towards the coordinates on the tablet computer Yeoman held in his hand!

==========

The NEW Vanguard! Haunt Issue #7 - Page 2 Xcom-forces

Alarms blared and rang out as a convoy screeched to a halt and more than thirty troops spilled out in the street around it! They scanned up, around, waiting for the superhuman attack their sensors had said was incoming!

"Hope this is worth it. We must have pinged every alarm in this town. We need to keep moving cause you can be sure they will zero in on our location and we'll be fighting off hundreds of these goons! Not that I don't mind a straight up fight but some of this lot pack some serious firepower! Not to mention those power nullifying things..." said Yeoman.

The superheroes were peering around a corner. The street had ground to a halt with civilians running for cover at the sight of so many armed Advent soldiers. Half a dozen six wheeled trucks were being guarded. One of them must hold their target. Haunt wondered what the others held. The pair of them were around 100 yards away. The street lights were flashing red and indicating the presence of superhumans in their range. No doubt they knew Yeoman and Haunt were here, somewhere. They had ... not long... before Haunt and Yeoman were pinpointed and attacked!

Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  DavidMcMahon Thu May 02 2019, 15:01

"OK, here is the plan," The Haunt says, "you attack me and throw me in the area of those trucks. Try throwing me at the center trucks. While they are distracted with taking you down, I will see if I can find the doctor and free her. And worse comes to worse, you attack from the outside of their formation and I attack from the inside."

The Haunt then shapeshifts into an Advent Guard, just like the ones he sees albeit all white. He hopes that the familiar form will have them drop their guard against him when he is sent flying into their midst, long enough to find the lady doctor.

"Think this will confuse them long enough?"
DavidMcMahon
DavidMcMahon
Cosmic Level

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Sat May 04 2019, 20:42

"Uncanny." mutters Yeoman. "Just remember that while you may fool them to look at, once they are done being distracted they may notice their machines pointing at someone using a superhuman power right in front of them!"

Haunt considered and figured Yeoman had a point. His shapeshifting ability would show up, but hopefully he'd be in and out before then!

"Here goes! I'll try to be gentle!" said Yeoman and he gave a nod to Haunt, scooped him up by the ankle and wrist and tossed him to land near the truck! With that he flew up into the air and shouted, dramatically "ALL RIGHT ALIENS! ENOUGH! YOUR INVASION ENDS HERE!" and swooped down to the nearest troops, swatting one with a powerful backhand that sent him flying!

Then all was pandemonium as the ADVENT troopers opened fire and more came out of the woodwork, spilling from trucks, running from around corners, even taking aim from rooftops!

Magnetically charged fire criss crossed all around Yeoman and he shouted "ARRRGGGH! A TRAP!" It rather looked to Haunt as if his friend was actually suffering from dozens of shots pinging from him. "DAMMIT!"

An Advent soldier ran up to Haunt and checked on him. "QUUADD RAG CHURG SOLLLAM?" it asked, over the roar of the weapons. Haunt heard a grenade go off, then another! He hoped Yeoman would be alright!

Acting was in his blood and Haunt gave a great impression of being groggy. The Trooper looked up, then down at Haunt. It said something then ignored him, running to join the fight! It seemed they cared little for their fellow soldiers...

Haunt/Advent Trooper glanced about and moved over to a truck. Empty. The next two were vacated and the following one... Ahhh. Locked. No driver, and the other troopers nearby were letting loose at Yeoman. A glance at his friend revealed he'd taken cover, pulled the wheel off a car and spun it like a frisbee into a truck several Advent soldiers were hiding behind. The truck crumpled, then exploded as fuel ignited! Dazed troopers staggered back, smoke covered the area, and the incessant gunfire turned sporadic as the Troopers tried to re-position.

The truck presented a challenge. A regular lock would prove no problem to his morphing power, but this one had a keypad. The truck itself, despite being a futuristic alien design, ran on run flat tyres and was as tough as any bank armoured car, possibly slightly tougher. He hoped the scientist was in there. The keypad was a 3x3 pad with alien symbols on them. It would have millions of possible combinations, and he didn't have the decades required to work through them all!

A smoke drifted across the battlefield, he noticed something else. The roar of distant engines and a transport vehicle flying through the air towards the battle site. Advent had called for backup!
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  DavidMcMahon Tue May 07 2019, 20:37

Is his limited strength or Omni-arm powerful enough to either rip up the floorboards, usually the weakest part of these vehicles, or drill through it? If not, using his skills, he will try to sprinkle some dust or loose dirt on the keypad to see if certain keys are smudged from body oils using it. That would let him know which "numbers" to try and would limit the amount of configurations he would need.
DavidMcMahon
DavidMcMahon
Cosmic Level

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next