The Vanguard Play by Post Roleplaying Game
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The NEW Vanguard! LIONHEART Issue #2

3 posters

Page 4 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Go down

The NEW Vanguard! LIONHEART Issue #2 - Page 4 Empty Re: The NEW Vanguard! LIONHEART Issue #2

Post  Steeple_jackuk Sun Jan 04 2015, 21:36

Admin wrote:Lionheart was left with a dilemma. Let the thing come out of the water to allow Aquanaut to try the plan, OR perhaps use his astonishing speed to fly in through the aperture that was admitting the Squidborg? In water this thing had a clear advantage. Indeed, it looked very much like the huge dents Lionheart had left in its hide were already starting to heal!

"Aquanaut" Lionheart replied, "I am not sure if that is a good idea, if this thing goes nuclear we run the risk of irradiating a large chunk of the country we're duty bound to protect.  Let me see if I can give you a hand from within, before we left with no other choice first."

And with that Lionheart dove ahead of the creatures, into the caverty unsure if this was the best idea of if the he'd just jumped from the frying pan into a red hot proverbial fire.

OOC: Ok so go in full force field and see what we can detect, ascertain from my heightened senses within the beast.  Shame I don't have Frostbot to aid me in this mission.

Admin wrote:OOC you raise interesting points about the failure/falling forward. Is that a Fate mechanic ?

Don't know, it was something I picked up on following the fall out from D&D 4e where it was often difficult to play challenges because they were very strict fail or succeed mechanics.  The whole falling forward thing has come out of the indie scene, so its not something I'm totally familiar with but your dice mechanic is a possible solution.  

I like the fact that there is a degree of randomness, that not everything is decided by the GM or player, and things aren't so codified that there isn't room for something innovative and strange or unforeseen.  Its just that often rules don't allow for this, and in a PBEM game if you fail to hit, it can be frustrating with no further action just reaction possible.  I don't mind failure, and in the past this has lead to interesting dilemmas, I guess where I think its been most difficult is where we fail to spot the clues, or take a line or action not anticipated and don't come off with the optimum result.  Having said that, with hindsight I am less worried about that than when I first played, because you are the master (I kid you not) and coming back with something equally challenging or good.  I think there was only one time where I felt things were going a certain way no matter what I did...other than that I've never felt straight jacketed, but the idea of an element of strategy is welcome, anything that helps us feel that even a failure could have a positive outcome in a narrative and game sense.  Something that empowers a player to try something new, or to keep trying and not give up even when facing something that makes you think, "how am I going to deal with this..."  From you perspective Paul you might feel we throw you a curve ball more than once, but from ours, or at least mine, I am constantly scratching my head trying to think, "What on earth am I supposed to do here."  The only reason there is often a delay (short of real life issues) in my replying is often because I need 12/24 hours to think of how I am going to reply.  When I've got nothing then I usually say, I don't know what to do...but you're good enough to not penalise me for that, which I appreciate.  

Anyway rambling reply over, I'm open to trying new things, the dice pool thing sounds like it could be fun.  

Sj
Steeple_jackuk
Steeple_jackuk
Cosmic Level

Back to top Go down

The NEW Vanguard! LIONHEART Issue #2 - Page 4 Empty Re: The NEW Vanguard! LIONHEART Issue #2

Post  Admin Thu Jan 08 2015, 22:40

Lionheart sped for the aperture, noting that it started to close even as he approached it, and the Squidborg turned to present themselves as a barrier!

OOC They attack with energy beams from the tentacle ends. The beams lance through the water and refract somewhat, making their accuracy a little hit and miss. Coupled with the fact (I assume) Lionheart has switched his energy to Superspeed (as it allows him to swim faster too) there's little chance of hitting. Half a dozen shots come close...

Roll(2d10)+0: 1,3,+0 Total:4
Rolling 2d10 ( 6 + 6 ) = 12 DOUBLE plus Rolling 2d10 ( 8 + 4 ) = 12 (24 total) HITS but does not penetrate forcefield
Rolling 2d10 ( 9 + 3 ) = 12
Rolling 2d10 ( 1 + 8 ) = 9
Rolling 2d10 ( 3 + 2 ) = 5
Rolling 2d10 ( 1 + 6 ) = 7

All others miss

Rolling 2d10 ( 10 + 3 ) = 13 Lionheart easily ducks inside the aperture before it slams shut

His energy power Rolling 2d10 ( 2 + 7 ) = 9 Does NOT affect him this time round. No nosebleeds/headaches Smile

The hero was as a gnat inside the beast. It was alien, albeit with tunnels that ran through the creature/machines innards and had thick cables - veins presumably - pulsing as they ran along the walls. Where he had entered, there was no trace. Instantly his Danger Sense (Rolling 2d10 ( 6 + 3 ) = 9) warned him of impending danger, but gave no other details of where to expect it from. His options were limited.

The tunnel ran from (his perspective at any rate) North-South but he was Lionheart - with his powers he had other options if he fancied making his own progress.

"...skrrrzzz crackle... nheart? Somethings happening. I can't be sure, but there may be the equivalent of antibodies racing to intercept a foreign body. Would that be you? I suggest you head for the nearest exit. Failing that, if you're dead set on stopping this thing, I think the reactor core - it's heart - is the place to head for. Find a way to shut this down and the beast is done, I reckon. I will do what I can to keep it distracted." said Aquanaut.

OOC On the energy pool front I will have something ready to try out next week - I have a few days off from Sunday. I like the idea of a near miss maybe having some effect. I think GH had something similar with dodging or some such. Would have to look it up. I will come up with character sheets for Jade Hood and Stone Fist and they can continue their adventures against the Nazis, Alien Invaders and (soon) Asian Villain in the style of Fu Manchu.

Admin
Admin
Admin

https://darkeningshadows.darkbb.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Steeple_jackuk Sat Jan 10 2015, 16:16

Admin wrote:...skrrrzzz crackle... nheart? Somethings happening. I can't be sure, but there may be the equivalent of antibodies racing to intercept a foreign body. Would that be you? I suggest you head for the nearest exit. Failing that, if you're dead set on stopping this thing, I think the reactor core - it's heart - is the place to head for. Find a way to shut this down and the beast is done, I reckon. I will do what I can to keep it distracted." said Aquanaut.

"Got it." Lionheart replied tearsly as he sought to identify from what was around, or could be deduced by sight and sound the way toward the main core.  He had to get their quick if he was going to stand some kind of a reasonable chance of stopping this thing before it mounted a defence he might struggle to break through.  

With speed and his defences on maximum, it left Lionheart the optimum chances of utilising his incredible senses the chance of assessing and evaluating where he was and what clues he could identify toward getting him where he needed to be.  

Admin wrote:OOC On the energy pool front I will have something ready to try out next week - I have a few days off from Sunday. I like the idea of a near miss maybe having some effect. I think GH had something similar with dodging or some such. Would have to look it up. I will come up with character sheets for Jade Hood and Stone Fist and they can continue their adventures against the Nazis, Alien Invaders and (soon) Asian Villain in the style of Fu Manchu.

OOC: Sounds great, look forward to it.

Sj
Steeple_jackuk
Steeple_jackuk
Cosmic Level

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Wed Jan 14 2015, 21:06

Lionheart

Using his keen mind, incredible senses and super speed, Lionheart sped along the narrow corridor, wondering which way to head for what passed for a heart for this thing. One thing he did notice (OOC Perception check 2d10 → [2,9] = (11) success) was that the pulsing blue light that ran alongside him in one of the cables appeared to be slowing slightly. Someone moving at normal speed would not have noticed this, but Lionheart could tell... the 'pulse' was slowing the further it got away... from the heart!

He spun on his heel and sped off in the opposite direction, aware that he was heading back to where the 'antibodies' would be coming from. That way led to the reactor, or whatever foul thing this used to keep its vast form 'alive'. The blue pulses helped light his way as he came... to the end of the corridor. He considered turning around and heading off a side passage he'd passed but knew he would have to battle his way through legions of nasties. The cables/tubes/pipes, some thicker than a tree trunk, went into a hole in the wall and were packed tight. A glance at the wall suggested it was solid and not of this earth, like all of this thing, but he wondered if a million karate chops in the same place, or powering his strength to maximum levels, might do the trick.

Whatever he decided, he would have to do it fast! He didn't need his danger sense screaming at him (OOC 2d10 → [4,1] = (5) failed...) to tell him where the danger was coming from - he figured at any moment it come from any direction!

And he was right! Green gas started vented from the walls, floor, ceiling... and there! Squidborgs, or their bigger brothers at any rate, with reinforced metal cables for tentacles and sparking paddles on teh end, were coming towards him (OOC think... the Aliens from Edge of tomorrow, or something like. Great film, btw.)

He could fight through them... try to smash through the wall where the cables were, go up, go down, or rely on his amazing speed to avoid their blows. But there were half a dozen of these things... the main thing going for him was that only two at once could get near!

OOC They are around 50 yards away, having rounded a bend, and heading straight for LH. The Green Gas has an unknown effect, but it won't be there to make him feel happy. It hasn't touched him yet. Lionheart wins initiative. Over to you Smile
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Steeple_jackuk Wed Jan 14 2015, 21:36

Admin wrote:Lionheart

OOC They are around 50 yards away, having rounded a bend, and heading straight for LH. The Green Gas has an unknown effect, but it won't be there to make him feel happy. It hasn't touched him yet. Lionheart wins initiative. Over to you Smile

Figuring that his best stroke was to fight the very thing that controlled what was going on, Lionheart directed his considerable assets toward breaking down the wall to where the tubes went.  If along the way he could cause disruption, harm and something else for the creature to think about, so much the better.  He also made sure that he kept a good lungful of what passed for air, but was thankful that he still had the rebreather apparatus, he had to hope he could shake off the effects of the gas, as this was not going to be pretty.  

OOC: Definitely go for exposing the wall into the heart and aiming for that, we've got to stop this otherwise I'll be wasting my efforts fighting off this things defences and not doing a jot to it, itself.

Sj
Steeple_jackuk
Steeple_jackuk
Cosmic Level

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Wed Jan 14 2015, 22:27

LIONHEART

Spinning on his heels the speedster wasted no time attacking the wall that the pipes and tubes ran through, hoping it was just a wall and not a solid mass... otherwise he'd have nowhere to go with enemies snapping at his heels!

Picking his spot Lionheart applied all his power to his speed, then got stuck in with millions of Karate chops per second!

OOC Ok, first of all does he get a headache from his power.. 2d10 → [4,6] = (10) nope he's fine.
Next he attacks the wall. Not really rolling to hit, more using his Effect Value (22) against the RV of the wall. 2d10 → [10,10] = (20) BOOM! Double... 2d10 → [9,2] = (11)

Lionheart pulverised the wall... and the whole creature/vessel shuddered! Somewhere an unearthly roar and a groan rang out, echoing through the corridors... The wall had been thick, hard, made of some harder than steel resin rather than metal, but that hadn't mattered. Bullets and bombs it would have shrugged off, but Lionheart smashed his way through - all six feet thick of it - and sped off down another passageway in the gloom, following the pulsing blue lights as they appeared more frequently the closer he got to the core!

Knowing the 'antibodies' were still (far) behind him he figured he had a few seconds to get his bearings, but guessed (correctly) that the creature would sense his presence and be more urgent. He was right. The passageway opened into a walkway and from there into a vast open chamber. In the centre was a sphere about the size of a hot air balloon, pulsing, throbbing and convulsing much like a heart might. The thing was integrated with all manner of circuitry and wires, machines placed all about it and feeding it with tubes and pipes. Even a hundred or so yards away from it, where he stood on the walkway which had emerged halfway up the smooth resin walls of the bowl like chamber, the thing looked immense. There were dozens of Squidborg tending the great heart, flying about and welding here, there, at the machines that integrated with the huge grey/green/black pulsing organ.

And there were more 'antibody' Squidborgs, fierce, fast, and coming straight for him, soaring through the air and reaching with metal tentacles! Across the other, far side of the chamber at roughly the same level an aperture opened and the creatures spewed out. Lionheart counted ten before he turned and saw the others chasing up the corridor behind him. Still some way off, they were getting closer! From the front, or behind, these things would be on him in moments!
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Steeple_jackuk Thu Jan 15 2015, 08:29

Admin wrote:LIONHEART

And there were more 'antibody' Squidborgs, fierce, fast, and coming straight for him, soaring through the air and reaching with metal tentacles! Across the other, far side of the chamber at roughly the same level an aperture opened and the creatures spewed out. Lionheart counted ten before he turned and saw the others chasing up the corridor behind him. Still some way off, they were getting closer! From the front, or behind, these things would be on him in moments!

"Well its been fun...but one day I'm going to bite off more than I can chew, looks like today might be that day." Lionheart quipped to himself as he readied himself for what was likely to be a last desperate act or the one thing that might just end this before anyone else died. He quickly shifted priorities, moving his forcefield, strength and speed to the fore, so that he could attempt what he had in mind. With no full understanding of if he was going to be successful and realising it had all the finesse of a wrecking ball, nonetheless he took one last look at all around him and then dove forward with a tremendous burst of energy. He shifted to his fastest speed, as space allowed, pushed his arms out infront of him and dove straight at the heart with all he had.

OOC: Ok seems like the most heroic thing to do, is just take a suicidal gamble and dive right at the heart to burst it open. I realise this is a big gamble but Super heroes don't do subtle and we certainly have proven that. Trying to fight everything off seems pointless so go for it, use all Hero points I'm allowed to maximise damage and if need be accuracy although I'd find it hard to imagine not hitting this - penetrating it maybe. Hence lets put the HP where its needed most.

Sj
Steeple_jackuk
Steeple_jackuk
Cosmic Level

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Mon Jan 19 2015, 21:55

OOC Best attack for LH is shifting Power Reserve to Superspeed and boosting Dex to 22 then whacking Hero points on Acting value (19 to bring to 41 column!) and 19 on effect (same, to 41 column with Martial Artist) then go for a devastating attack. For defence he can whack hp on Resistance Value and soak up damage with last ditch defence if required.

Lionheart sped towards the great pulsing mass, and the creature seemed to sense it!

From suddenly appearing apertures HUNDREDS of Squidborg poured, a veritable mass of teeming creatures, all eager to clasp, entwine and electrocute the intruder! All sense of trying to limit the damage inside the great machine/creatures body was abandoned as the threat became very real!

Lionheart sped on!

OOC And makes his attack.He actually uses his Martial Artist (22 now) as the Acting Value and Effect value against the Body of the heart. I took it that LH was throwing EVERYTHING into this attack hence the Devastating attack. That actually changes things so that he needs a 13 to hit... 2d10 → [9,8] = (17) No problemo! 7 Column shifts...

With a blur of motion the hero risked everything in a do or die action! Plunging at the huge heart, he pounded into it, feeling solid muscle and metal instead of the pulpy flesh that he expected. Indeed, it actively 'pushed back' at his attack even as he thrashed with thousands of deadly martial art attacks on the unliving thing!

After nearly a second - an age to a super speedster - he felt something give, then his hands disappeared into a blur of motion!

OOC Lionheart HP now 22

Gritting teeth against the wash of fetid flesh and unearthly metals that resisted him, Lionheart kept going. After what seemed like an age, putting more into the blows than he'd EVER done, he... burst through the other side!

Whirling, he saw a man sized hole through the heart... then it started to quiver... and collapsed in on itself! Instantly a rumbling started, and the whole gigantic structure started to shake!

The Squidborg stopped where they were, seeming confused and unsure. Some started to flee, others turned on each other... one, close to Lionheart, flew up and mouthed, in it's conical head "Thhhhnk Yerrrrr"

Lionhearts head was screaming DANGER!!!

This place was going to BLOW!

OOC Roll of 17, LH loses 3 Mind points for his efforts, putting Lionheart on Mind:3/9

Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Steeple_jackuk Tue Jan 20 2015, 12:50

Admin wrote:Lionhearts head was screaming DANGER!!!

This place was going to BLOW!

OOC Roll of 17, LH loses 3 Mind points for his efforts, putting Lionheart on Mind:3/9

Fuzzy, disorientated with the effort and desperately trying to stop his brain from cooking under the alarming danger signal his brain was hopping with, Lionheart tried to get some clarity. Though he was concerned that the creature might yet have another failsafe of back up trick he had yet to see, he had to get free or else he'd be in no position to stop it anyway.

Seeing as the whole structure was about to collapse, he looked about for what might be the easiest path of least resistance. With his considerable powers focused on speed, he waited looking for the right opportunity, realising as he did timing was once again everything.

OOC: Ok so I am looking to break out and wondering whether rather than chop, chop my way out, not knowing what I might get myself into, it might be better if I look for an opening to occur as things fall apart and go from chamber to chamber as thing fall apart so that I can focus entirely on moving, dodging and seeking escape. Just as an aside, in GH danger sense as it was known then, had about it an ability to give some sort of hunch as to what to do. I wonder in DC heroes, does my danger sense do the same thing? Or is that some sort of higher or more specialised power? Just looking for anyway forward here.

Sj
Steeple_jackuk
Steeple_jackuk
Cosmic Level

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Sat Jan 24 2015, 23:50

OOC Danger Sense in DC Heroes does either of two things - warns you of danger (score 1 or more Result APs - i.e. a successful roll) or warns you of the exact nature of the danger (direction, type etc). The mor epowerful the danger, the easier the power finds it to tell the character what he needs to know (the second part).. As this is a SERIOUS threat, the roll required doesn't have to be fantastic, but 11+ certainly helps.

2d10 → [6,10] = (16) 3 Column Shifts. That's enough.

Lionheart sped in the direction he thought best to get him out... and stopped.

A second later the 'wall' in front of him exploded outwards, showering him in fire, shrapnel and acid. By then he'd had enough warning to put up his forcefield and move to a distance safe enough that the blast barely washed over him.

He looked into the hole into another chamber of this great, vile beast/machine and saw a horde of Squidborg pouring at him! Too many to easily count! He turned, looking about. Everywhere was the same. This thing was self destructing, there was no way...

Suddenly a pipe, a huge 'vein' of sorts, swelled and burst, pouring vile yellow liquid out across the floor... which formed into the rough semblance of a human shape! "Wwwwwell?" spluttered Aquanaut. "You going to stand there while the nasties eat your brain and this place blows up?" He them formed into a gelatinous mess and 'leapt' into the fleshy pipe! It would be a tight squeeze but...

With Squidborg closing in, hordes of them, Lionheart moved to the the now open fleshy pipe and struggle din. It would be a squeeze, sure enough! Ignoring the claustrophobic feel as the pipe stretched slightly to accommodate him, Lionheart shimmied like a worm, albeit a fast one, through the pipe...

And seconds later spewed out, rather undignified, into a dark cloud in the water!

"Best not to ask what bodily function that was, just GO!" screamed Aquanaut who was not visible in the water, but surely here in some form!

Lionheart didn't need telling twice!

Blasting through the water he crashed up from the depths and out, and turned as the creature exploded under the waves...

THOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOMMMMM!!!!!!

The underwater blast was of megaton level, enough to destroy a small town and all in it, but its effects were largely nullifed as it was under the waves. Even the resulting shockwave mostly dispersed, though a great ball of light lit up the ocean for a mile in every direction!

"Wow." said Nightbird, soaring up. She still held the two captives (Captain Valiant and Stonelord) in his dark bubble, but they had ceased struggling. "You really do know how to make a mess!" Trails of ichor and bone rained from the sky in gobbets of foul smelling meat, intermingled with chunks of metal and pipework. Most had been incinerated in the blast but much had been blown upwards and outwards, albeit to fall in a harmless rain some distance from the shore.

As the wind surged, the angry waves crashed over the glow under the water and started to make it fade...

Forming into his human shape (though still made of water, and despite 'hovering' high above the waves he was still attached to the sea by a tiny tendril of water) Aquanaut turned to Lionheart. "Great job. I spent some time in that thing and I can tell you... it was old. Who knows how long it had been buried below the waves before those subs disturbed it? I also got the idea it wasn't an invasion force, rather it was... a scout. Whoever - or whatever - it was scouting for might know what happened to it as well."

Almost as one the three heroes looked to the skies, and the clearing starlit heavens. Something big, old and evil was out there. And it knew... it knew about the Earth, and the creatures who dwelled on the planet...

OOC Just need a wrap post from Lionheart then I will finish with a wrap and that's the short adventure done. It's part one (as an intro) into the next team adventure...
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Steeple_jackuk Sun Jan 25 2015, 16:51

Admin wrote:Almost as one the three heroes looked to the skies, and the clearing starlit heavens. Something big, old and evil was out there. And it knew... it knew about the Earth, and the creatures who dwelled on the planet...

OOC Just need a wrap post from Lionheart then I will finish with a wrap and that's the short adventure done. It's part one (as an intro) into the next team adventure...

"Well friends, as you kids like to say its been real. I guess we'd best make sure there is nothing left to come back and do some more damage and then we'd best sort out those submarines, don't want some super villain scooping up Nuclear material and selling it on to some third world dictator."

Turning to Nightbird Lionheart asked, Are those two going to be ok? Do you need a hand getting them tucked up in bed?"

OOC: Ok I guess that wraps up some loose ends, once we've sorted out if there is anything in the remains to salvage, the subs to take care off and our bashful pair to return home, then Lionheart can have the first proper bath he's wanted since going on this swim ;-)

Sj
Steeple_jackuk
Steeple_jackuk
Cosmic Level

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Wed Jan 28 2015, 20:58

No sooner had the words left Lionhearts mouth when the heroes turned at the sound of distant 'wup wup wup' of helicopters...

"Cavalry here" said Nightbird with a chuckle. More rain of shattered flesh and metal fell in gobbets into the ocean around them.

Aquanaut spoke up "Government most likely. Maybe special forces. They already have Stonelord here as the official 'sanctioned' superhero, so we're in the clear..."

Nightbird transported Captain Valiant and Stonelord in the bubble to the cliff edge and opened up the bubble to disgorge the pair, who were unconscious. Stonelord had reverted to a human form - a thin beanpole of a man with pocked face and crooked nose. Captain Valiant was starting to stir, and groaned as he put a hand to his head. "Mental attacks..." he groaned. "Hurts like the devil!" He looked about, then at the floating debris still on the waters surface. "Well done chaps. Did I... " he glanced at the naked man beside him "Stonelord? Did we... do anything... were we compromised? The Submarines? Any survivors?"

He turned, as did the others, when the helicopters landed nearby and half a dozen men and women in identical black suit and ties. The leader, a man with slick back hair, dark glasses (strange given it was night) and standing about 5'9" tall, a man in his forties, smiled as he walked up.

"Gentlemen. And lady." he said. With a glance over Lionhearts shoulder at the sea and the debris in it he added "You're all required to accompany us. Firstly though, on behalf of a grateful nation, thankyou for the task you've accomplished. Secondly... unfortunately... you've opened a right bloody can of worms..."
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Steeple_jackuk Thu Jan 29 2015, 08:09

Admin wrote:"Gentlemen. And lady." he said. With a glance over Lionheart's shoulder at the sea and the debris in it he added "You're all required to accompany us. Firstly though, on behalf of a grateful nation, thank you for the task you've accomplished. Secondly... unfortunately... you've opened a right bloody can of worms..."

Lionheart viewed the men coolly taking in their appearance, and also using his heightened abilities to scan and search for clues and hints as to what this was about. He understood that any government dept liaising with people such as them were going to have levels of protection and foresight to protect their operatives. He had been debating about ways to forge some kind of normal well perhaps it didn't hurt to find out a bit more before they blew any more of England up along the way.

The others seemed pretty cool about things to, so for the time being he was willing to go along with the others, provided he felt no further cause for alarm. So in response he nodded, taking in the people once again, before following the others lead.

OOC: Playing it cool, calm and detached. Keeping quiet whilst I am all senses alert and switched on to whatever clues Sherlock like I can pick up on.

Sj

Steeple_jackuk
Steeple_jackuk
Cosmic Level

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Sun Feb 01 2015, 22:25

OOC Laptop gone pop again. Typing from it as I speak but ‘pre-posting’ in Word and will post up on the forum afterwards. Hopefully it will last that long…

“I am Agent X One Seven. Feel free to address me as X.” said the fellow in the suit as he fished out a bowler hat and put it in place on his head.

The other agents seemed to do exactly the same – at exactly the same time! In addition each carried an umbrella – the only thing missing from each man and woman was a copy of the times under their arm!

“Let’s walk.” He said, addressing Lionheart as Nightbird helped the agents with Valiant and the depowered Stonelord. The wind continued to howl and the rain picked up, but the umbrella seemed to deflect it – not that Lionheart felt it through his forcefield anyway.

“I understand you masked types don’t trust us Whitehall sanctioned types – who would? We work for people who are temporary custodians of their positions and spend a fraction of their time trying their best at the job they do. The rest is spent dodging bullets from the press and other politicians, and making sure they look good. Regardless. From what we know of you – which is very very little – we know you are on the same side as us. So, in a nutshell, this is what’s going on, as far as I can tell you.”

“A week ago deep space scans from NASA and … other agencies … told us of a signal of unidentified origin. A decision was made by a collective to investigate, and a number of representatives from the United Kingdom – Adjutant and others – were sent, along with Americans, a couple of Europeans, a Russian and a Chinese metahuman. The best of the best. Most powerful, experienced, resourceful. The brief was simple – investigate, take appropriate action.”

“We’ve heard nothing. Then we detected seismic disturbances in the sea off Scotland. We sent an exploratory submarine to take a look. Just an earthquake, right? Well, that went pear shaped, so the Russians offered their assistance claiming they had experience with the type of seismic activity they’d picked up. We politely declined. Turns out they sent a sub anyway.”

“Now here we are. That thing has been under the ocean a long long time. Until this week. Coincidence, what with that signal from space and the Collectives’ team going for a look? Not bloody likely. You, with some help from your friends, took out that monstrosity when as far as we knew Adjutant was the only Class 5 capable of such a feat. In his absence, your country is asking you step up to the plate, as the colonials might say.”

“This is a total commitment we are asking of you. These are uncertain times. The people of this country need someone to look up to. Someone to reassure them that there is, and always will be a line of defence between anything out there and them. Adjutant is MIA. Until he gets back, assuming he does, we need a symbol. A presence. A power.”

He smiled tightly. “All of us are psychics of varying power. You will note that whilst we have not intruded into your mind, we are aware of the power within you. Empaths can also get a good feeling about you. We do our homework. And we also can rely on tosspots like Stonelord, if you will pardon my French. Your country requests your service sir. What say you?”

OOC No danger detected from Agent X though the hairs on Lionhearts neck are stood up in the presence of so many mentalists – and he has a feeling their might be a mystic among them. Without seeing their power in action it’s hard to tell what he’s dealing with, but this Agent X is a cool customer, no doubt.
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Steeple_jackuk Mon Feb 02 2015, 08:07

Admin wrote:He smiled tightly. “All of us are psychics of varying power. You will note that whilst we have not intruded into your mind, we are aware of the power within you. Empaths can also get a good feeling about you. We do our homework. And we also can rely on tosspots like Stonelord, if you will pardon my French. Your country requests your service sir. What say you?”

OOC No danger detected from Agent X though the hairs on Lionhearts neck are stood up in the presence of so many mentalists – and he has a feeling their might be a mystic among them. Without seeing their power in action it’s hard to tell what he’s dealing with, but this Agent X is a cool customer, no doubt.

Lionheart kept quiet, nodding throughout the conversation as he used his energy to focus on gleaning what subsequent information he could gain from the man beside him. After he had finished, it took a lot of effort to maintain a stoic poker face. Lionheart appeared to give it some thought, but in truth this was a way in on a golden platter. He didn't much care for the whole, 'figure head' thing. But he could live with that, as long as London didn't feel that he was their puppet.

"Ok, we need to talk terms. I'm nobodies puppet, but you know..." He said waving about the assembled support team, "That to the best of my ability I would minimise loss and damage. You won't get a risk assessment before I enter a fray, nor will you get access to my social media account or private life. We need to treat this working arrangement as being in on the basis of some sort of freelance commission. I agree to play by the rules, as long as we get to agree what they are from the start. Otherwise I'm in."

A cursory glance back at Stonelord, also gave Lionheart some satisfaction that as a sanctioned hero, the belligerent bulldozer couldn't throw his weight around as he had done previously. Clearly he meant well, but some sort of inferiority complex was making it hard for everyone to see just how he meant well.

"Ok so what and where do we go from here?" Lionheart said, thinking he'd probable do well to check in with the team and find out what they thought on this step. He wanted them to know what the Government spooks were suggesting so he had some cover. And also he had it in mind that there was still that super secret group he stumbled on when he first arrived in this time zone. Their base, equipment and capabilities far outmatched what this timeline ought to have access too. Could they be time travels or something else from the stars?

OOC:Haven't forgotten that tussle I had when first arrived, with government backing would love to find out more about them. just hinting ;-)

Sj
Steeple_jackuk
Steeple_jackuk
Cosmic Level

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Thu Feb 05 2015, 00:16

The man in the bowler hat smiled. "You're your own man. Quite so old chap. We do need to know something about you though."

"Where you came from, your powers and capabilities. After all we did have that nasty business a few years ago with some unhinged fellow thinking he could dress as Adjutant and cause all manner of mayhem. That won't do. Come, walk with me." he said as he walked towards the cliff edge to look out over the wild, boiling sea, all the while protected by the umbrella/forcefield.

Lionheart saw distant lights - more trucks and cars approaching.

"This far north, it's a pain in the behind to get here quickly. Luckily there's not much round here save a few sheep and a farmer a few miles back. The less the public know, the better. I don't suppose I need to read you the whole official secrets line by line but the more we know about you, the more you get to know about what is going on. That's the whole problem with democracy and freedom of speech in society. The more open it is, the greater the need to keep secrets to avoid panic, rioting in the streets and so on. Anyway. We need to get out of the rain and get back to Whitehall to debrief."

He looked at the remaining wreckage of the machine/beast that still floated on the water, and saw the first of the cleanup crews heading out in motorized dinghies. "Damn good job. As good as Adjutant could have done himself. I dare say the others weren't too much help. They are effective in their own way, but we need a big hitter. Someone who can take the hits, dish it out and come out standing with the Union Jack emblazoned across their chest. Unites the nation, gives a sense of pride, lets people sleep at night."

"And keeps the nutcase rogue states from trying it on."

Lionheart wondered just quite what his role would be... Nuclear Deterrent?

=========

"Going with the spooks?" asked Nightbird.

She smiled, though the detail was lost on her ink black form. "They told me to keep schtum and said there'd be a debriefing. Also mentioned a bank account to cover expenses. I don't do this for money but I'll be lucky to still have a job at the end of the night. I did kind of leave in a hurry..." She thrust out a hand for Lionheart to shake. As he touched hers, enveloped in the strange black stuff he felt a tingle. Not danger, but the knowledge that the creature that cloaked her and provided her super powers was a living thing, and they tended to have their own agenda at some point.

Aquanaut strode up, now in human form. "Good to work with you. I was busy the whole time going through that things pipework, though I guess you guys don't know it. I hope I'll get to work with you again."

Captain Valiant was sat on a gurney, grinning even as he held a wet cloth to his head. "Damned headache like you wouldn't believe! I can shrug off artillery fire, but that thing got in my head and gave me a clanger of a migraine! Thanks for sorting us out mate. Sorry I couldn't be of more help. I'm sure when he..." he nodded towards the covered, unconsacious form of Stonelord in his human form "...comes round he will still be a plonker, but he owes his life, as do I, to you guys."

OOC Going with Agent X? Making your own way back? Anything to say to your short lived team?
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Steeple_jackuk Thu Feb 05 2015, 08:23

Admin wrote:Lionheart wondered just quite what his role would be... Nuclear Deterrent?

He smiled at the agent, but there was little warmth in it.  He was going to remain guarded, playing the part that he inadvertently had stumbled on, but playing it his way.
=========

"Going with the spooks?" asked Nightbird.

"Yeah, looks that way."  Lionheart smiled ruefully at Nightbird.  

She smiled, though the detail was lost on her ink black form. "They told me to keep schtum and said there'd be a debriefing. Also mentioned a bank account to cover expenses. I don't do this for money but I'll be lucky to still have a job at the end of the night. I did kind of leave in a hurry..." She thrust out a hand for Lionheart to shake.

"You look after yourself, I'd be glad to help if I can in the future.  Just look out for the biggest explosions and its likely that you'll find me among em." Lionheart smiled back genuinely this time.  Though having dealt once before with shadowy creatures, he took a moment to reflect on the sensation the inky black creature left him with.  He wondered if that power that Nightbird had come to rely on, might come without the benefits it appeared to have at present.  

As he strode about the camp, nodding to Aquanaut then the Captain, he nodded passed on thanks and made promises to stay in touch.  He wasn't sure if their paths would cross again, but he felt sure that these people were as genuine as could be found among the Meta Human community and he'd make sure that in future he had their backs, as they'd had his.  

He paused for a moment realising that he was probably going to be under intense scrutiny so he sent a coded signal, as best as he could given the circumstances so that Wandafar had some sort of an inkling where and what he was getting himself into.  Leaving the com line open but muted meant that at least he was traceable at least for the time being.  Although he doubted that without additional help, it would remain so for long.

Then turning back to the Agent, gathered to one side, Lionheart gestured that he was ready to follow.  

Sj
Steeple_jackuk
Steeple_jackuk
Cosmic Level

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Mon Feb 09 2015, 12:02

OOC End of issue - a new chapter and life is starting for Lionheart... as the new Adjutant! Well, that's the plan these government types have for you at any rate. Because we have covered so much in this I will award 200HP. You can use these to add to your current tally to make 260HP. I would suggest setting half aside for improvement and leaving the rest to struggle through Adjutants/LHs new adventure, or keep all for that purpose. Advancement in superhero games is glacial, and in pbp even slower unfortunately. I will look at your options to enhance the character and cook up a new character sheet for you - I had one, it died in a hard drive crash, and now I rely on page 11 (I think, or 12) of the OOC to see Ryans write up on LH's stats.

Lionheart stepped onto the helicopter

In essence he'd come full circle. As a PSI Corps officer in the future he'd gone into the past to find and stop Saladin, and in doing so found out that the people he worked for had built everything he knew on a lie, and even built in a failsafe to stop Lionheart living beyond his mission. Saladin had changed all that. Going back to World War II the villain had proven he was more of a shade of grey than black as evil, and sacrificed himself to join with Lionheart and ensure he lived. In doing so he'd unlocked more power than the PSI Corps operative had known possible. Faster and stronger than ever, with enhanced mental powers, he'd helped his friends in the Vanguard - Frostbite, Putty, Silver Sentinel and others - to stop what would have been the end of existence as creatures that preyed on fear and despair used the abundance of those emotions in the 1940s to launch an all out attack on Earth. It had taken all of their power to stop it, and in doing so change the timeline forever.

Now back in the 21st century, he'd never been here, specifically, before and it was all knew. From stopping the Nazis changing history, settling his differences with Saladin, stopping both alien invasion and the darkening shadows of those ultra powerful extra dimensional creatures as well as mundane crime and now this, a vast great creature hiding under the sea off the coast of Scotland...

Looking out of the window, Lionheart chuckled. The sun was breaking on the horizon. Now? What now? He'd offered himself to Queen and Country again as a champion to stand in the place of a man who had been by far the most potent protector of law and order not just in Europe, but standing alongside the best the world had to offer.

Was he ready for the responsibility?

The sun continued to blaze its orange disk higher over distant mountains, flooding the interior of the Helicopter with light.

"Penny for your thoughts?" asked Agent X.

Penny indeed. New dawn, new day, what next for the lion hearted man?

END OF ISSUE #2
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Steeple_jackuk Mon Feb 09 2015, 14:02

Admin wrote:OOC End of issue - a new chapter and life is starting for Lionheart... as the new Adjutant! Well, that's the plan these government types have for you at any rate. Because we have covered so much in this I will award 200HP. You can use these to add to your current tally to make 260HP. I would suggest setting half aside for improvement and leaving the rest to struggle through Adjutants/LHs new adventure, or keep all for that purpose. Advancement in superhero games is glacial, and in pbp even slower unfortunately. I will look at your options to enhance the character and cook up a new character sheet for you - I had one, it died in a hard drive crash, and now I rely on page 11 (I think, or 12) of the OOC to see Ryans write up on LH's stats.

Penny indeed. New dawn, new day, what next for the lion hearted man?

END OF ISSUE #2

OOC: I can send you a copy of my character sheet that I am working from if you like. In any case I agree lets spend 130 on improvements, whatever you feel could stand to make the best difference. Or else hold off till the next time, bank the 130 and build the surplus up to add to and build the next time.

I won't answer Mr X just give a half smile. Looking forward to where this is going, thanks for braving the cold to post.

Sj
Steeple_jackuk
Steeple_jackuk
Cosmic Level

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 4 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4