The Vanguard Play by Post Roleplaying Game
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The NEW Vanguard! FROSTBITE Issue #2

2 posters

Page 5 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Go down

The NEW Vanguard! FROSTBITE Issue #2 - Page 5 Empty Re: The NEW Vanguard! FROSTBITE Issue #2

Post  Steeple_jackuk Thu Feb 05 2015, 08:14

Admin wrote:Frostbite looked to where Behemoth was locked in battle with the demon. Suddenly the big Purple beast cried out as its forearm snapped! Falling back, he snarled as the demon raised a foot and crashed it down on him! It was blasted by half a dozen colours of beam but shrugged most of them off, bar one. Light?

With a roar it brought out the fiery whip again, and started whirling it around and round... then it started to get longer!

OOC This is it! What happens next determines if the good guys win out or the gate stays open, to spew who knows what out!

OOC: What is the significance of the tablet I was handed, out of interest, because if that has some bearing on what I am about to do you might need to amend it suitably.

Spotting those who had the power to create light beams, Frostbite made a point of ordering them to fire directly at the monster, fighting it back, whilst he and those who were able to help moved forward to grab the purple beast, and help it back out of the portal. "Drive that beast back...and the rest of you overwhelm the portal.  We've got to some how stop its self sustaining ability.  Once the beast is back, then all of you pour it onto the portal, we're not going to win this unless we lock it down."

Frostbite wasn't sure of this was the right thing to do, but then up till now he hadn't operating with some sort of game plan, just making it up as he went along, like usual.  Still he hoped that by cutting the portal off, the powers that be, might find their source dry up and then they could establish some sort of order.  But first he had to rescue the behemoth before it became the demons appetizer.  

OOC: Ok so try and use the light beams, to blind and bind the demon to get the Behemoth out, and get the others to try and overwhelm or shut down the gate.  If the tablet has anything useful great, if not put it to one side.

Sj
Steeple_jackuk
Steeple_jackuk
Cosmic Level

Back to top Go down

The NEW Vanguard! FROSTBITE Issue #2 - Page 5 Empty Re: The NEW Vanguard! FROSTBITE Issue #2

Post  Admin Mon Feb 09 2015, 11:47

OOC Another attempt. Fixed the laptop again the other day. Posting from it and... pop. Froze, video card gone again. It's a lost cause. I have to post from the desktop now (in a freezing cold room and battling for time on its vs kids etc) until I can get another laptop at month end Sad

As soon as Frostbite took hold of the tablet, there was a tiny spark between his hand and the device...

"Ah! If I were able to feel actual emotions rather than simulating them, I would profess great relief at being 'home'." said Frostbot inside Frostbites head!

"You don't need that now" the sentient program added, referring to the tablet. "That young man - Mr Collins - is very useful. He was able to use his abilities to pull the various myriad parts of my scattered conscious together and place the majority of it into that device. Some is still out there - minor bits of data - but I for the most part, whole."

Frostbite shouted to those with light based powers to 'our it on' towards the gate where the great demonic creature was wrestling with and biting down hard on the shoulder of Behemoth!

"Excellent plan" stated Frostbot. "The gate works by changing the specific frequency of light to create a gate that sits between dimensions. That's the easy way to explain." added the program. "By bathing the gate in superhuman specific abilities involving light means that the gate in effect spreads. Watch..."

It was true - the gigantic pair continued to struggle whilst the gate spread outwards behind them... and enough to touch the tail of the great creature!

It cried out in pain and turned, distracted, as the gate swallowed up its tail and dragged it - despite digging its claws into the floor - several feet back towards the gate!

Behemoth, despite being badly wounded, suddenly shifted his weight and pushed hard at the creature, causing it to slide with the floor crumbling underneath it, metal tiles and all!

Frostbite grinned! It was working! It... even as the blinding glare of the gate and the massed powers against the struggling beasts flickered and flared, Frostbite saw Behemoth fall to one knee and the creature bite down hard on the muscled superhumans shoulder... completely severing the arm at that point!

Gallons of yellow ichot pumped out of the stricken giant as it fell back, though still fighting against the strength of the bigger creature.

Frostbot spoke up "An unfortunate turn of events. Behemoth would have bought enough time for the gate to expand and envelop the creature. Unfortunately it would also have dragged Behemoth with it, but his heroic sacrifice would have saved countless lives. Now it seems his sacrifice - and possibly everyone in this room - has been in vain unless..."

Agonising seconds crawled by whilst Frostbot went silent.

Frostbite could see the superhumans in the room - already demoralised and shellshocked by their captivity - start to lose heart. One young girl, shining bright like a million lighbulbs, started to dim and become more distinct, the fear on her face becoming more apparent by the second!

"You have a choice, and I fear you have only moments to make it" said Frostbot as the creature pulled six inches of its tail from the gate. A few more moments and it would be free! Even as it shielded its eyes against the glare it grinned and a sound like breaking rocks told Frostbite it was... laughing!

"Nevermind that!" snapped the sentient program. "You can engage the creature youself in an attempt to buy time, or convince one of the others, more physically able, to do it. Or you can break open that access panel - no turn the other way - and tear out a fibre optic cable strand - several inches thick. From there it needs to be dragged to another panel... just a little to the left.. THERE! Inside is a junction box that supplies the feed to the dozens of screens in this room. One bright flash... perhaps that will do it. Or, and this is most risky, create the most perfect crystalline ice that you can to act as a lens and amplify the light. You have one shot at this. The crystal ice must be perfect, the most perfect you've ever made. Directing the beams of the superhumans through it and onto the gate might... might just do the job."

OOC All of this stuff will take a roll, whatever you try, and get this thing back inside Pandoras' Box.

1) Tackle it hand to hand. You'd need to last a few rounds - I leave it to you to decide how viable that is...
2) Convince one of the others - faster or stronger perhaps - to do that while you work on something else. Bear in mind they just saw the strongest - Behemoth - go down.
3) Go for Frostbots fancy fibre optic blow up every lcd/led panel and lightbulb in the place plan. This is a very long shot.
4) Go for the crystalline lens idea. This is a very, VERY long shot but it *might* stand the best chance of working - if Frosty can get the lens right

Behemoth is grasping the creatures forward leg with his remaining arm, fighting to the last. It in turn is pounding on his head whilst the gate starts to pull it back in steadily. He's buying as much time as he can, unwittingly, because all Behemoth wants to do is fight. It doesn't even really know why. Several of the light emitters are running for the exit, leaving only three to pour on the light. Others are blasting with energy, fire, cold even... and not doing much against this beasty.
Admin
Admin
Admin

https://darkeningshadows.darkbb.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Steeple_jackuk Mon Feb 09 2015, 13:59

Admin wrote:OOC All of this stuff will take a roll, whatever you try, and get this thing back inside Pandoras' Box.

1) Tackle it hand to hand. You'd need to last a few rounds - I leave it to you to decide how viable that is...
2) Convince one of the others - faster or stronger perhaps - to do that while you work on something else. Bear in mind they just saw the strongest - Behemoth - go down.
3) Go for Frostbots fancy fibre optic blow up every lcd/led panel and lightbulb in the place plan. This is a very long shot.
4) Go for the crystalline lens idea. This is a very, VERY long shot but it *might* stand the best chance of working - if Frosty can get the lens right

Behemoth is grasping the creatures forward leg with his remaining arm, fighting to the last. It in turn is pounding on his head whilst the gate starts to pull it back in steadily. He's buying as much time as he can, unwittingly, because all Behemoth wants to do is fight. It doesn't even really know why. Several of the light emitters are running for the exit, leaving only three to pour on the light. Others are blasting with energy, fire, cold even... and not doing much against this beasty.

Thankful for Frostbot's return, as the sentient programme made the closest pass it could at a, "pleased to see you" Frostbite equally returned the thought.  Albeit quietly where only Frostbot could pick up on it.  IN truth he never felt so incomplete without his 'friend and companion' onboard.  

But now moments later here he was trying once again to do the impossible with the improbable.  "Mother said there'd be days like these." he mumbled to himself.  

Turning to the others he saw the need to rally the troops, of all the choices he could make the lens seemed to be the most dangerous but potentially the most potent.  He didn't like the idea of turning away from the portal and though he was brave and unafraid of death he wasn't about to throw himself after Behemoth at the creature, knowing his power was far less potent.  

"Folks I know you are afraid, some of you have never used your powers in anger or defence.  What's more this things is beyond your worst nightmare and your questioning your sanity.  But we alone are here now, so its down to us.  History might not remember us, but if we fail history as we know it will end this day.  

For if we do not end this here, all those hope you have for some sort of normal life will die here, if that thing isn't stopped.  And friends though we might wish it wasn't us, whilst it might not seem fair, lets not in this moment of choice be found wanting.  Your guards, your keepers and your imprisonment will be as a picnic compared to what that thing will plan for you.  So now is not the time to roll over meekly and let your captors legacy have its day.  This is the world we've been given, so lets prove worthy as its custodians and protectors.  For our families, our homes; both the ones we've left or the ones we'll yet have.  For what was and what can yet be, now is the time to show me what you've got.  Pour it on, when I give the word."

And with that Frostbite, under the direction of Frostbots, calculations and logic deducing algorithms, started to form an ice lens the like of which he'd never produced before.  As he worked concentrating as hard as he could, he shouted to Joe Hoskyn, to get the heavy hitters to be ready to pull out Behemoth when the team hit.  And then directed young Mr Collins as well...  

OOC: Ok no surprises if I need to use what remains of my HP to try and work something up here that actually works.  Mr Collins I will direct to work with the lab equipment to turn the lights on when the lens is ready.  But in edition I want him to sort out the computers so all the personal data is corrupted and nothing here can be traced back to the captives.  But all the other evidence that can be used to put this company's illegal activities, its bank records and its board of directors to be released onto the internet and posted to the press and government etc.

And so here we go, stakes are high, could be make or break...its been fun whatever happens.

Sj
Steeple_jackuk
Steeple_jackuk
Cosmic Level

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Wed Feb 11 2015, 23:47

OOC I assume Frosty (Joe Hoskyn - Joe Rigdon is the 'old' original version of you. And yes, I get confused sometimes too Smile ) uses 11 HP on Acting Value, 11 on Effect Value to make it 25 on each. That wipes out all of his hero points.

Frostbite HERO POINTS 0 (Zero)

And here comes the roll. Still needs to be a good one...

2d10 → [3,8] = (11)

Frostbite formed ice... and immediately Frostbot chastised!

"NO! No, too thick. That will weaken and refract the light! Try again! Behemoth is..." Frostbite looked up. The floor was slippery with the man monsters blood and still it refused to release the creatures ankle with its remaining arm! The foot came down, and again... and Behemoths arm fell away, the grasp gone limp.

With no time to see if the prisoners had taken his words to heart, Frostbite formed another disc... This time it collapsed, too thin! "Almost! Concentrate!" chided Frostbot.

"It's coming through!" shouted someone.

"Look out! That whip it's.... aRGGGGH!"

"Don't run! There's no where to go!"

"We can't fight THAT!"

"Then we die here or somewhere else, but we few stand between it and the people out there! You heard the iceman!"

Frostbite poured on his power, as fine control as he could manage, beyond the limit of what he thought he could do...

"NOW!" he and Frostbot shouted.

Young Mr Collins connected a cable, the monitors in the room lit up like floodlights, and the prisoners poured on their light powers... at a perfectly formed near transparent disc that shone on the gate and the creature stood in it! It cried out, shielded its eyes... and stumbled back, taken by surprise!

"Push it!" shouted a prisoner - Joe Rigdon, Frostbites counterpart of this era - and he launched himself at the creature, ramming into it as it was already unbalanced... and it toppled backwards!

Frostbite moved, flying fast and reaching out as he saw his counterpart fall forward... and grabbed him just before he fell into the gate! It glowed bright, blinding...

AND CLOSED!

Silence afterwards, aside from sparking wires and groans of pain. Some laughed, then sobbed, others looked around, dazed. Frostbite saw the dismembered human form that had been Behemoth, a man who hadn't deserved anything other than jail for his previous crimes, and yet he'd made the ultimate sacrifice to save Britain and perhaps the world.

Collins came up "Hey man. Good job. You saved us all. Look... this place. I looked in the computers. Someone sent a remote code to wipe all the drives. A failsafe, in case of... well I guess in case of stuff like this. The alarms triggered all sorts of security protocols and someone made the call. But we know, we all know what went on here. We need to get out of here before someone turns up. Most of us may have done some wrongs but we don't deserve this. I swear to you man, if I get out of here and can lay low for a while, I won't go wrong again."

Joe Rigdon came up "Thanks. For everything. Including the last second save. We need to get everyone out of here before the authorities turn up, if they aren't already here."

Frostbite looked around. The place was practically collapsing in on itself. There was no evidence the gate had been here save for rapidly decomposing 'demons' if such was what they were. They were liquefying and sizzling, dangerous acidic forms burning through the metal floor!

With the alarm still blaring, Frostbite knew he'd won, again, but the deceased form of Behemoth - at least his human form - showed that victory quite often didn't come without high cost. Did one noble sacrifice undo years of evil deeds? Frostbite didn't know, but he did know that Behemoth had done as much to save the day as Frostbite himself had done...

OOC Nearly done for this chapter, just a final post from you and wrap, and ready to move on...
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Steeple_jackuk Thu Feb 12 2015, 08:31

Admin wrote:With the alarm still blaring, Frostbite knew he'd won, again, but the deceased form of Behemoth - at least his human form - showed that victory quite often didn't come without high cost. Did one noble sacrifice undo years of evil deeds? Frostbite didn't know, but he did know that Behemoth had done as much to save the day as Frostbite himself had done...

OOC Nearly done for this chapter, just a final post from you and wrap, and ready to move on...

Frostbite felt overwhelmed, tiredness, relief and a sense of indebtedness to Behemoth whose presence and power had made their victory possible.  But who had been brought here by Frostbite tricking him.  Somehow he couldn't help but feel it should be him lying there.  For what seemed like the longest time, people kept talking at him, over him, around him but their voices seemed distant, echoing around him as if he was at one end of a long tunnel.  But when his counter part, shook him, finally he came back to the moment.  Pulling himself together, he started to issue orders, "Ok everyone we need to get out of here and fast, lets convene at the edge of the grounds opposite the main road in.  Everyone who is able to help another do so - we're leaving no one behind.  Flyers take the walkers, speedsters scout ahead, anyone with helpful psi powers keep us informed of the authorities approach and everyone keep an eye out, the base still might have some nasty surprises, so be on your guard.  Lets go."

Strolling over to what remained of Behemoth, Frostbite encased him in ice, cold, hard and frosted so only his face showed rather than the gruesome injuries he'd suffered.  Lifting him up in hands that shook with tiredness, he joined the others as they moved to the outside grounds.  

OOC: Ok so once outside see below

Frostbite looked at the bedraggled rag tag bunch before talking one last time.  

"Friends the organisation behind your capture and exploitation are still at large, that means you are all potential victims of any future plans they might hold.  Despite what has taken place today they have covered their tracks which only suggests they might try again.  Learning lessons from this and implementing their sadistic plans once again.  Society is not your enemy, but nonetheless if you go out there today, alone as you were back to what was your old life you risk heat coming on yourself and your loved ones.  I can't be sure what we can do to help, but I've gained a few friends and it may be we can provide alternate id's and some sort of protection.  At least a way to stay in touch, help each other out and if nothing else watch each others backs.  I won't stop you if you want to go, but if you go nor will I be able to help you if you go it alone.  The choice is yours but if you break the law, I am coming after you - make not mistake about that."

With that Frostbite contacted Wandafar and told him what had gone on for him to work out what happens next.  Sitting down, his back to the tree, he heard the sounds of sirens in the distance and waited for the others to make a decision.  

OOC: Ok hope I've not overreached myself here.  Feel free to amend as you see fit - but just felt it was the responsible thing to do.  Anyway ready to hand off now and see where we go from here.  I'll cross Joe of my list that I was given at the start of this mission and see also who remains.

Sj
Steeple_jackuk
Steeple_jackuk
Cosmic Level

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Sun Feb 22 2015, 22:53

Wandafar listened intently over the comms

"You hef done... more... than I thought possible. I em in wonder... and in shock at ze things you describe. I..." he paused, then came back on. "I em picking up encrypted comm traffic that will take time to decode, but I suggest you leave immediately."

Frostbite looked about. These people were on foot! How on earth could he...

"Construct a platform, or similar, from your hardest ice. Your lifting capacity is around 6 tons. It is possible that you can lift all of these people and the platform you construct, then fly from this place, especially if other fliers help you. I shell contact Justin and... make arrangements for you to house zem. Note that from vat you describe it seems there are a number of criminal elements who need to be watched. If you have people you can trust, it would be best to recruit them to aid you." offered Frostbot.

Frostbite looked at his counterpart, Joe Rigdon, who was helping people from the lift shaft seeing as it was the only way out of that subterranean cavern housing the gate and that prison.

There was one.

Minutes later a hastily constructed but solid looking ice barge - with benches along the sides and a rail.

"Amazing!' commented Joe Rigdon who looked about it. "I can help keep it from freezing. And it's been a while, but I can fly, and help lift it."

"I can fly too" said another former inmate. "Charlene Adams." she said, smiling and offering her hand. "Sorry I couldn't be more help in there - I can only just start feeling my powers coming back now. Bit like being at the dentist and the numbness wearing off." she grinned, but her eyes looked haunted. "We should..."

The distant wupp wupp of choppers sounded out, and it would be a sure thing that dozens of road vehicles wouldn't be far behind!

"Time to go." remarked Joe. "These people knew enough about us to track us down, catch us and detain us, and hush it all up so that our friends and relatives thought we'd just... gone. In this day and age, I didn't think that was possible."

Frostbite noted that some of the former inmates - more than a dozen and nearer twenty - had already left. Some were regaining powers and using them - one leapt away, another stretched her legs and took giant strides over fields and away - to escape.

"Not all will be criminals." offered Joe. "Some will figure the authorities will be going after the bulk of the people on the ice barge" he said as he applied freezing cold air to stop it melting.

Frostbite knew the truth of that. Still, they had made their choice, he'd made it clear what would happen if they returned to a life of crime. He had forty people to get out of here. It seemed there had been casualties down there, but it was a miracle that any of them had gotten out of there at all!

No time to go back and retrieve the dead. He glanced at the frozen block of Behemoths human remains...

Frostbite did a double take.

The raw open wound of the shoulder had grown a thin film of flesh over it. The bleeding had stopped.

He had no time to think about that! Distant dots started getting bigger in the sky!

"Wandafar has transmitted directions to what appears to be a stately home some miles to the south and west of here. Half an hour of flying at your top speed of around 200mph" stated Frostbot.

No time to lose!

"Everyone! Hang on!" shouted Frostbite.

The fliers helped, and the ice barge sped through the sky, away from the prison, the near disaster of a dimensional gate opening, and all that entailed.

=========

"Well, I've stayed in worse" said Charlotte as she looked at the high grand ceiling of the hallway in the mansion that had been one of Justin St Johns many 'on a whim' purchases to squirrel away in case of a rainy day.

Joe Rigdon looked at the inmates. Battered, weary, dirty and shell shocked, they were nonetheless grateful to be welcomed by an elderly gentleman in a butler uniform. "I am Carruthers, and here to provide for all your needs, sirs."

"Solid light hologram" remarked Frosbot. "Impressive."

As people were led to rooms, many shook Frostbites hand, hugged his icy form, thanked him profusely. They had no idea what the future held, but thanks to Frostbite, they had one.

END OF FROSTBITE ISSUE 2

Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Steeple_jackuk Mon Feb 23 2015, 09:00

Admin wrote:
As people were led to rooms, many shook Frostbites hand, hugged his icy form, thanked him profusely. They had no idea what the future held, but thanks to Frostbite, they had one.END OF FROSTBITE ISSUE 2

OOC: Just going to insert this to add my comments to this excellent finish.

Somewhat taken aback by the show of gratitude, after all it wasn't like it happened often, Frostbite smiled awkwardly back. Grateful that he had succeeded beyond anything that they'd imagined but unsure if he was suddenly about to become the wet nurse to a heap of potential meta human's. It would be something to think about tomorrow, today...a meal, a debrief with Frostbot and perhaps a bed at some point would be all welcome.

Sj
Steeple_jackuk
Steeple_jackuk
Cosmic Level

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Fri Feb 27 2015, 23:24

OOC Well, after 84 (!) Windows updates... (yawn) I can finally get posting. End of another issue and Frostbite has dredged up as many questions as answers with this one:

1) Who were the people behind the throne, so to speak. That was a prison for superhumans, and probably as illegal as it comes...

2) You have forty odd people who have been displaced from their lives, have superhuman powers and absolutely no idea what to do next. Go back to their lives, to families who thought them dead? What about the people who took them in the first place? Will they be back?

3) Pandora's box was opened... something came out... then it was closed. Whatever that... those things were, chances are they liked what they saw and want more of it. And only a very few people know about the danger that poses...

Frostbite has 200HP for his efforts.

A note on HP awards - in a Play by post the pace is slower (glacial) so HP awards in a tabletop game would be less with the characters doing more, but advancement is costly and barely noticeable anyway, so it would be pointless giving less out...

Next up - a new issue for Frostbite...
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Steeple_jackuk Sat Feb 28 2015, 12:56

Admin wrote:OOC Well, after 84 (!) Windows updates... (yawn) I can finally get posting. End of another issue and Frostbite has dredged up as many questions as answers with this one:

As regards to the issues left hanging, I think that an immediate debrief with Wandafar and St John, would be ideal.  Not only pool what we know but also to work out how we go about being ready for either the group behind the power generating and the alien/demonic creatures.  As regards to the 40 or so people we have a number of options, none of which are ideal.  i) new identities, they go back to some sort of normality or else run the risk of recapture and or being a danger to family.  ii) live in isolation under St John's care - not sure if this is any better than what they had iii) they go to the Government - risky since they could be required to register but they also become the governments problem rather than ours, however they also get access to the benefits that come with that.  But how do we protect our group if they should spill the beans?  

As regards to HP, I will try and keep half and then use the other for improving my abilities.  I'd really like to see my dispersal get better or else spend some on Frostbot to improve his abilities and or our connection.

Thanks mate.

Sj
Steeple_jackuk
Steeple_jackuk
Cosmic Level

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 5 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5