The Vanguard Play by Post Roleplaying Game
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The NEW Vanguard! Kyoko Issue 1 "The Enemy of My Enemy..."

3 posters

Page 4 of 6 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Go down

The NEW Vanguard! Kyoko Issue 1 "The Enemy of My Enemy..." - Page 4 Empty Re: The NEW Vanguard! Kyoko Issue 1 "The Enemy of My Enemy..."

Post  dunecat Wed May 29 2013, 19:57

((I think I'll go with a dodge for this. Then decide based on the results what to do.))

dunecat
Class 2 Hero (Low level superhuman)

Back to top Go down

The NEW Vanguard! Kyoko Issue 1 "The Enemy of My Enemy..." - Page 4 Empty Re: The NEW Vanguard! Kyoko Issue 1 "The Enemy of My Enemy..."

Post  Admin Thu May 30 2013, 21:29

OOC 14AP energy blast. As far as I can tell Stormbreakers dex is 13? That right? Also your skin armour cost needs sorting out. -1FC for 'always on'? I don't think so Razz The blast has also had its 'punch pulled'. 3RAPs of damage against Stormbreaker (11RV) +1CS from pulled punch. That leaves Stormbreaker on 3/6 Body.

Despite Stormbreakers incredible agility and the fact he was dodging the incoming blast, it struck him squarely in the chest!

He reeled from the blast but shook it off. The incoming 'blue dot' he knew was Ultramarine. He wondered what the robot/armoured man had up his sleeve other than that!

'Let me carve the knaves metal hide' whispered a voice in his head, and he looked at the sword...
Admin
Admin
Admin

https://darkeningshadows.darkbb.com

Back to top Go down

Post  dunecat Fri May 31 2013, 20:57

The blast left Alex reeling for a moment before he shook it off. Gripping the sword in his hand he was about to do as bid..

Metal..

A predators smirk crosses his face at the realization clicked into place.

No. We'll strike him from here. Give me as much power as you will.

With that thought he sweeps the blade up over head and then back down to point at the blue dot in the distance, unleashing a multi bolted barrage of lightening at his presumably robotic foe!

Auto: any flight needed to stay aloft/make sure I'm in range
Dice: Critical Strike with 12 APs of Lightning. Presuming that I get Initiative for the next round I'll Press the Attack as well. Base attack is at 14/12 (dex/lightning). with CS changes.. 11-12/19-21 (He'll also take -2CS to his RV vs a lightning attack Very Happy)

dunecat

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Wed Jun 05 2013, 22:21

The sky lit up as lightning flashed, striking the sword (?) then streaking outwards towards the oncoming foe!

OOC Initiative 2d10 → [1 Stormbreaker,4 Ultramarine] Attack Roll 2d10 → [10,7] = (17) 9RAPs damage and knocked back 80 feet (into air, no damage)

With a resounding CRACK! the attackers stride was checked, and even at this great distance Stormbreaker was able to see he'd struck a telling blow!

Even so, this 'Ultramarine' appeared to be a tough customer! He was still up but perhaps considering his options now!

He soared away, ducking out of sight behind the cover of larger buildings...

He glanced at the 'dot' on the rooftop, becoming larger by the second - as was the incoming aircraft! Stormbreaker had to make a choice - face off against the flying vessel, and possibly have to deal with Ultramarine again, or investigate the silver 'ball' which was now almost six foot high and across...
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  dunecat Fri Jun 14 2013, 21:38

Alex nods as Ultramarine ducks off behind a building. He could give chase, however the mechanical hero was not his enemy even if he had taken the roll of adversary. For now his choice was simple, the aircraft would likely just prove another challenge while the silver sphere would - hopefully - prove to be a solution. Or at least a way to move towards his goal of finding the White Warlock. With that in mind, he moves towards it to figure out what it is.

Auto1: flight! (cause falling to the ground isn't exactly fun)
Dice: Some kind of action to figure out what this thing is, magic sense, occult and int all at play here. Along with anything else that might be appropriate.. though what that might be escapes me for now.

dunecat

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Sun Jun 16 2013, 23:56

OOC Occultist Occult Knowledge (9APs) should do it. Roll 7,8 (15) That'll do it...

Soaring through the air and swooping to hover over the silver sphere, Stormbreaker took a good look at it...

Like a mirror it reflected back the sights of the city around it, and Alex realized it was a gate or portal. One way most probably, and nigh on inpenetrable from this side, so that someone could look through from the other side and be free from harm. Or so the theory went. So, someone was observing him. 

He looked up. The aircraft was getting closer, and though he couldn't see him, he figured Ultramarine was manoevering for a better shot. Not much time then...

Just then the ball 'pulsed' and Stormbreaker tensed. Was he about to come under attack again? His reputation - or lack thereof - plus the fact that he carried a huge sword around, which tended to make people in law enforcement agencies nervous at best, was making things difficult. Still, no one said this job would be easy...

The NEW Vanguard! Kyoko Issue 1 "The Enemy of My Enemy..." - Page 4 Fairy_girl_from_silver_ball

A tiny light appeared from the globe and flitted up to hover only ten feet or so away. Stormbreaker was ready for anything, including getting blindsided, but the tiny dot expanded and swelled into a young woman, hovering on gossamer wings. She looked at Alex, as if appraising him, then at the sword. Her eyes widened slightly, and she put a hand to her mouth to cover the gasp, then looked back at Stormbreaker. 

"Who are you, and what are your intentions?" she asked, voice almost musical.

Stormbreaker looked about. The aircraft was here, only 500 yards away or so, slowly cruising over the rooftops. He couldn't see him, or it, but Ultramarine wasn't far away either. The roar of his boot jets could be heard...

OOC This phase then the other guys will be on the scene, and things will get... complicated.
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  dunecat Mon Jun 17 2013, 03:48

Alex was shocked when the speck of light resolved itself into a woman, though her reaction to the sword caused him an inner groan.

I need a 'eye's up here' sign for this thing.. He gripes internally before stifling his inner sarcasim.

"We are Stormbreaker, and I seek the aid of the White Warlock. The Arch Demon Kaberaxus is active near Edinburgh. I find myself unfortunately shy on aid here. The local hero community is quite hostile frankly." As he speaks he turns to eyeball the aircraft, shifting his position in the air to keep himself between it, the winged woman, and his best approximation of where Ultramarine is.

"In particular I've run afoul of a member of the UK Champions. If you are willing and have the means, can you take me from here? I don't want to get into a prolonged battle above a city like this." He glances back and forth between her on his left, and the aircraft on his right. It took an effort of will not to bring Stormbreaker up into a ready position but he knew that his reflexes would let him react fast enough even without it. 

Auto: flight! 
Dice: if needed, a persuasion action. If not then I'll hold this in reserve for the moment.

Initiative Maneuver: Laying back (+1 OV) - provided I take Init.

dunecat

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Wed Jun 19 2013, 23:06

OOC I do chuckle when I see Stormbreakers reaction to being treated like a criminal (at best). Mistrust is a nasty thing Smile

The Woman looked uncertain - her eyes were drawn to the sword and Alex could see the fear there.

What changed things was the name of the Demon Kaberaxus. Fear turned to anger, hatred even, and Stormbreaker was impressed with the ladies change of demeanour. She fair hissed "Say not the name of the foul one or its kin! As for these others... They neither understand nor wish to understand the nature of their enemy. My mentor has long tried to explain the menace both the Demon and its kin represent, and come away frustrated. Know you this though - Bane Weapon or no, if you are false you shall suffer!"

'The gate has a soul enchantment on it' rasped an inner voice inside Stormbreakers mind. Alex narrowed his eyes. A gate enchanted in such a way could only be entered willingly, for the gate would function in a way specific to the soul of the creature entering it. If the gate were good aligned, no harm would befall those of good and honourable intent, and it would transport them accordingly. If they were false, evil or wicked, the gate would instead whisk them away to a place of the sorcerers choosing - be it on this dimension or otherwise!

The fairy woman glanced at Stormbreaker, then at the gate. "You are aware of this gate, yes? I must say the words anyway..."

"Enter the soul gate of your own free will
know that to good folk it bears no ill
Be you evil, or be you base
Then find your soul sent to deepest space..."

A roar of boot jets indicated Ultramarine was on the scene. As yet there was no sign of anyone disembarking from the VTOL craft but Ultramarine spoke up, amplified voice ringing out with the jet hanging in the background a further 100 yards back from the blue garbed UKChampion. "Last chance to surrender! You are an unregistered metahuman in the jurisdiction of the UKChampions!"

Stormbreaker glanced from Ultramarine to the faerie woman stood in front of him, then back at Ultramarine. Back at the woman. She shrugged "Those who find it hard to believe in the existence of magic are more susceptible to its effects." She smiled then, a friendly grin and flicked her head towards the great silver pearl that was a gate. "Anyone who can annoy those short sighted dunderheads will get on well with my mentor! Come!" she turned to fly towards the gate, shrinking, but turned back "Though 'ware my word of warning, man of the storm sword!"
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  dunecat Sat Jul 06 2013, 22:33

Alex was taken aback for a moment by the sudden change to anger that the woman showed. He had been hoping for recognition but this was considerably more then that. He nodded in appreciation to her words, the heroic community in America wasn't any better in regards to the the occult. That was the reason that Alex worked on his own almost exclusively..

His attention was pulled to the gate by the rasped voice in his head, recognition and the lyrical warning the fairy woman gave him sent a shiver down his spine. He fell on the side of good always.. but sometimes only because he fell against the side of evil. He had no certain way to know if 'be you base' would include him and the sometimes shady way he operated or not. Still, with nothing ventured there could be nothing gained. Steeling himself Stormbreaker followed the woman towards the portal, the only heed he paid to Ultramarine and his command was to flip the bird at him over his shoulder without looking back on his way through the gate..

With luck he could pass through without problem.. otherwise he would be in trouble..

dunecat

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Sun Jul 14 2013, 07:53

OOC Missed this update, sorry mate. It didn't show up (with a red icon instead of blue) for some reason. Will update now Smile

Stormbreaker didn't see the response to 'flipping the bird' but it was clear he would have dealings with the UKChampions in the future, for good or ill!

There was a blinding flash of light, a roar of wind...

Had he made a mistake? What if this were a trap, set by the Demon lord and would he be...

Stormbreaker stepped into a brightly lit room. There were items of furniture around - chairs, a sofa, a TV on the wall showing what appeared to be a film studio, audience, cameras, and a man in a pale grey suit addressing a camera. He turned, and saw a woman standing behind him! She was beautiful... and he recognised her as the fairy he'd met only moments before. "Take a seat." she offered. "Mr LeBlanc will be along shortly. Would you care for refreshment?"

Stormbreaker was about to answer when he noticed that his clothing had changed... there was a mirror on the wall, and he was dressed in casual shirt, jeans, jacket. Hair pulled back neatly, the sword was now a walking stick???

Except it wasn't.

The woman smiled "An illusion. Courtesy of Mr LeBlanc. He's trying to leave behind all that 'nonsense' as he calls it and part of that is ensuring those who want to find him for less than noble reasons can't, and those who need his help for the aid of good, can, but are ... incognito so as not to ruin all he has set up here."

She turned and operated a remote for the TV on the wall.

"... I can hear something... coming through from the other side..." said the man in the suit. He looked to be about 50, though was in terrific shape so it was hard to tell. With some grey at the sides, impeccably trimmed goatee and hair, he cut a dashing, handsome figure. The audience was rapt, hanging on his every word. Sceptics probably though - and had every right to - that this fellow who claimed to be able to 'speak to the dead' was a fraud, and that this very room that Stormbreaker stood in was that where people would be interviewed for information and briefed by the so called 'Mentalist' before being inserted into the audience and supposedly picked at random to communicate with someone who had 'passed over'.

"You may call me Jenna." the woman said, though her eyes were locked to the tv screen as she watched her friend, mentor, lover even? "He'll be here..."

"Now." said a voice behind Stormbreaker. He whirled, and saw the fellow on the screen... still stood there, and yet he was here too?

"I'm Jonathan LeBlanc." he offered, though Stormbreaker noted he didn't offer a handshake. The man arched an eyebrow and glanced at the cane. "That's a dangerous weapon you have there young man. My magic is not infallible, so I have taken certain precautions. As you can see..." he gestures towards the live broadcast "I'm preoccupied but multi tasking has never been a problem. Powerful wards are placed about this place, in case you are thinking of tearing up the place in a senseless brawl. Sounds like paranoia, but I can assure you one gets tired after having to relocate, wipe dozens of peoples memories and start again thanks to some idiot with a grudge from years ago turning up. I've not read your mind as a courtesy, so please, explain who you are, why you are here and why I should help you..."

The NEW Vanguard! Kyoko Issue 1 "The Enemy of My Enemy..." - Page 4 The_white_warlock

Jenna was about to speak up, but he cut her off with a smile. "In his own words please dear. My time is precious, as you know. If this young man needs my help he'll have to earn it, though I suspect from the 'feel' of him that his is a noble cause, and that all this..." he looked around the room, and presumably referred to the surrounding buildings and his life as a tv mentalist "Will all be a distant memory in the next week or so. Again." he added with a sigh. "Trouble follows noble causes you see." he smiled, though seemed sad.

OOC Stormbreakers pitch to the (retired) sorcerer supreme of the United Kingdom, and one of the most powerful mystics on planet earth (or any other near earth dimension).
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  dunecat Sun Jul 14 2013, 22:15

. Stormbreaker shook his head at the offer of refreshment. He had no desire to impair himself, or inadvertently let himself be dosed. Unfortunately he had no way to know for certain if these people were actually trustworthy for the moment. Time would tell that for him though.

“Thank you, but no. Time is of the essence here..” He trails off as he catches his appearance in the mirror, a small ‘huh’ escaping him. “He’s quite talented, the.. ward he laid over the city to broadcast the signature of his magic everywhere was ingenious. Maintaining this kind of an illusion while being busy with that must be taxing.” Alex nods towards the screen just in time for the Jonathen to appear. A grim smile crept across his features when the Warlock brought up the sword immediately.

“We are Stormbreaker, and I am here on the behest of Sigrdrífa of the Valkyrja to collect a boon you owe to the All-Father. Kaberaxus has established a foothold in the mortal realm again just south of Edinburgh. According to her he or the cultists he keeps have a dark mirror of the Cup in the center of the castle. They have been luring Sorcerers to the castle and draining them of their magics.” He pauses a moment, drumming his fingers along the handle of the ‘cane’.

“I am normally  a match for most demons, but I am not infallible. Several of the demons within the castle have the power to penetrate the mind. I used to keep a ward against such intrusions but it was.. damaged earlier. I require you help in dealing with this stronghold.” Once he had said his peace he was quiet, searching Jonathens face to try and gauge his reaction.

Dice: Full on social interaction to try and win over the White Warlock.

dunecat

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Fri Jul 19 2013, 23:44

The Warlock (Jonathan LeBlanc) winced, and made a warding motion at the mention of the Demons name...

Stroking his beard, he frowned. "I believe you." he said, looking up at Stormbringer. "I don't need magic or the ability to read minds to know that  anyone who wields THAT weapon, and speaks of the Demon in the way you do is an ally. Unfortunately..."

He leans back against a table and sighs. "I am retired. Sort of. When I was the United Kingdoms sorcerer supreme I had great power, and used as best I could to protect the realm from the powers of darkness. I overstepped the mark. Certain ancient powers were... dismayed when I unwittingly broke a number of truces so that mankind could stay safe. The powers of law and chaos settled their eternal feuding to discuss my 'punishment' and it was this - that I cannot DIRECTLY interfere with the realm of mortal man anymore. That means I cannot help you... directly... However you cannot face the Demon alone. I sensed its coming and have watched it, but have been powerless to directly intervene until someone came along seeking my help. Now, I have to be very, very careful what I say, how I say it and when I say it to you. There are... 'people' watching, shall we say. You're a smart fellow. And yes, I owe the All-Father a boon. How is Sigrdrífa? She was always quite lov..."

He glanced at the woman called Jenna who was flushing with anger, and coughed, nervously. "Ah, quite. Now, then. Let me see."

"As I said, I can't help you. I would also say the same to Maurice Turner, of 313 Park Drive in Birmingham, Sophie Carter of 11 Blenheim Road in Brighton, and 'The Amazing Dr Spectral'... Frank Smith I think his real name is..." he rolled his eyes slightly "Who can be found.. I mean, who was last known to be at ..." he glanced at Jenna, who spoke up "St Albans. The Farraway Brothers travelling carnival."

"Oh, and he wouldn't have come to me anyway, but a man called Justin St Johns would have also been told the same thing - that I can't help him, despite that he was really rather useful to me in my previous role of protector of the blessed realm. He's at Whitehall most days, cleaning up the mess after some costume or other flattens a street in the name of truth and justice. There's a Gentlemans social haunt called the Montague Club on Harley Street. He might be found there on some evenings. It's members only, so you'd have to be pretty inventive to get in."

He glanced around - was that a look of nervousness? With a smile he offered a hand for Stormbreaker to shake. "SO, sorry I couldn't be of more help. All those other people I've mentioned will be similarly disappointed as well. They are all after the same thing you are. Shame really, but hey, I have to keep a low profile and, you know, behave myself." he raised his eyebrows and shrugged, but the steel gaze which he held with Stormbreaker suggested that he was helping - as much as he was able given the restrictions placed on him by these so called 'otherworldly powers'.

'The man is an idiot... but he reeks of power' rasped the sword inside Stormbreakers mind.

LeBlanc frowned, glancing at the weapon. Then he smiled and turned to Jenna. "Right! We need to go convene with the dead! I predict the woman in the third row on the 8th seat from the left wants to find out where her dead husband left the pearl necklace his mother gave him. She'll be ... saddened to find out the fellow gave it to his lover. The police are..."

"Standing by, in the wings"  said Jenna.

"Oh good. Dirty business. When I make the big reveal - about her poisoning him with bleach - I should think it will make for dramatic television. Should boost the ratings no end eh?" He smiled at Jenna, then turned, nodding at Stormbreaker. "Good luck." he said quietly. "Sorry I couldn't be more helpful..."

With that, he made for the door, with the lovely Jenna in tow. She turned, and added "Walk through the door after we've gone and through the front door of the building into the street. The disguise will last an hour - long enough to throw off any overzealous 'admirers' you may have..."
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  dunecat Sun Jul 21 2013, 05:05

Alex had been hoping for something more direct, and to be back at the castle within the hour.. however life was what it was, and if he understood the situation correctly LeBlank had taken a great risk doing as much as he had just done. He gave Jenna a thankful smile before she left.

"I appreciate that, and thank Jonathen for me as well. I'll be sure to change before the spell expires. I don't think flying around is going to serve me best right now."

After the pair had left he waited a moment and then headed out of the building as instructed. From here he would need to orient himself. He had taken the time to open a local bank account before his trip, and memorized the account number incase he needed to access some funds if he happened to 'forget his bank card' at his hotel. His first order of business would be finding a branch and getting himself some cash, then a change of cloths and something to place Stormbreaker into.. likely an athletics bag or something along those lines. Unfortunately he would have to resolve himself to a much less speedy resolution to this then he had hopped for..

(I hope you dont mind me just throwing the whole bank thing out there. Alex is quite well off on his own however, and just a touch paranoid enough to be that kind of prepared. He'd have picked a commonly available bank if possible.. I'll admit I have no idea what banking is like over there though. If that isn't possible then he'll just have to do something else that I haven't come up with yet!

dunecat

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Tue Jul 23 2013, 23:42

OOC Generally High Street Banks are just that -on the high streets of major towns and cities. It's changed quite a bit over the last 10 years or so, with Banks having a rough time of things and closing branches etc. Time  was when you'd get small villages with branches of major banks, now you pretty much get cash machines instead, and online banking for the people who are out of the way. London would be easy to sort cash out though. Most people pay for everything with bank card though, even cheap purchases. Much faster than messing around with cash and change. I just wave my bank card in the general direction of the card machines to pay, but not sure if all banks do that, and I do wonder how secure that really is (isn't...)

Stormbreaker, still in disguise, used the time wisely and headed to the nearest branch of Barclays (?) he could find.

Moments later having proven his identity and made a transaction, he had plenty of cash in his pocket. LeBlanc had possibly overstepped the boundaries of the agreement that saw him left alone providing he no longer had a hand in the affairs of the magical protection of Great Britain, but that couldn't be helped now. It sounded like he was continuing to work - in his own way - in the pursuit of truth and justice.

That said, the problem was growing in the north. That castle would serve as a gateway for demonic forces to come through. Surely the 'powers that be' which held LeBlanc in check could see that Chaos was gaining the upper hand?

'Perhaps Chaos has been given free rein because YOU have upset the balance? What think you that, mortal?' rasped the sword...

Alex bought a sports bag, one long enough for the sword to be covered up. It had taken some doing, and wasn't cheap, but there were a couple of sports shops with bags to choose from. London was busy, vibrant and blissfully unaware of the danger the Demon represented. So how best to proceed? Well LeBlanc had mention four names. The nearest was Justin St Johns in London, then Frank Smith - 'Dr Spectral' - in St Albans, Sophie Carter to the south in Brighton then North and to the West, to the Midlands to meet with this Maurice Turner fellow.

Who these people were, and what they could do to help against Kaberaxus he had no idea, but right now it was check them out or head back up north, alone, to fight against the growing tide of evil that threatened to wash over the land!
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  dunecat Tue Aug 06 2013, 03:41

Alex hooks a bluetooth head peace around his ear before responding to the sword. "Have you ever considered the same about yourself? You have done far more damage to upset that balance then I have." He runs a hand through his hair and shrugs, setting the swords question aside. For now he needed to decide on his course of action. Distance wasn't a factor because of the speed he could travel at, but time was. He had nothing to go on for the schedule for most of these people. Justin St Johns was another matter though, he had both a location and a semi likely timeframe to find the man. From the sound of it he was also likely to have helpful connections as well.

With his mind made up and the address for the club an easy enough thing to find, he makes his way there.

Dice: while he's traveling he'll use a dice action to call up anything he can remember about St.Johns

He'll probably travel by Taxi or something similar. It's not like he can't afford the ride after all.

dunecat

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Wed Aug 07 2013, 16:41

OOC Int roll 10,1 (11) 4RAPs, good enough to know that:

• The Earl is the latest of a long line of St Johns of Caer Alwyn, a small village and country estate in Wales. He's in his early fifties, but has the physique of a man in his twenties who is regularly active at the gym
  • He is wealthy and donates plenty to charitable causes, including his time and fund raising efforts
    The Earl acts as an advisor to the Government on superhuman affairs and acts as spokesperson for the government on matters of superhuman activity, both good and bad
  • Before he became the Earl, Justin St Johns was an excellent amateur Boxer. Rumours abounded that he was more than that. Some say he was involved in criminal activity, others that he was an active masked vigilante. Both have never been proven, and five newspapers were forced to pay substantial out of court settlements after printing unproven 'exclusives'. All of the money was given to charitable causes, though some was diverted to a special fund the Earl set up to help workers recently made redundant. His popularity amongst common people is considerable.
  • For a charity event he participated in a gruelling SAS training regime. Not only was he the only high profile 'celebrity' to complete the course but he was highly praised from the instructors who claimed he would pass - with flying colours - the entrance examination. When told of the Earls age, the Instructors could not hide their amazement. The Earl put his health and fitness down to having 'an intense enjoyment of life' and is regularly seen in the society pages of magazines escorted by actresses and models much younger than he is, though he never married. He is a regular at the expensive - and extremely private - Montague Club on Harley Street

Knowing what he knew, Alex figured the best way to contact St Johns was either at his office in Whitehall or at this 'Montague Club'.

The fellow sounded like your typical 'English Gentry' - too much money, possibly not enough sense and no nonsense views on his chosen profession - that of advising the government on superhuman affairs. Would he be friendly to Alexs' cause, or simply fob him off? Could Alex actually get close enough to the fellow - who sounded very busy - to state his case?

With his mind made up, he made his way via taxi to the Montague Club.

"Closest I can get yer, Guv'nor." said the cabbie. "The toffs like their privacy." The road had been funnelled to a single lane with retractable remote controlled traffic posts jutting up from the floor. The club itself was a large old mansion in grounds with guarded gates. The 'guards' were suited/top hat wearing 'gentlemen' types who looked like they could handle themselves. The Montague Club was set in grounds that would raise millions were they to be sold. Judging by the cars that did leave the place - high end Bentleys, Rolls, various Italian exotica such as Ferrari, Zonda and Lamborghini - the members were happy to pay frankly exorbitant sums of money for privacy and a place to relax away from the flash of cameras.

Alex stepped out of the cab. The place was big enough. The other buildings on the street weren't exactly small, but the Montague Club was an imposing Victorian Mansion in the heart of London. Even with his considerable wealth Alex wasn't sure he could afford the membership fees such a place would charge.
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  dunecat Wed Aug 21 2013, 20:03

Alex let out a whistle under his breath at the sight of the place. He gave the driver a generous tip and then closed the door after saying his thanks. He then turns to survey the club more intently, and more importantly he turns his attention to the area around the club. Odds were if he couldn’t talk or pay his way into this place.. then he’d have to turn to skills of a less reputable nature. He was however entirely confident he could get into the club without having to start a fight, there were very few places he couldn’t get into after all. For now though, a strike at diplomacy would be the safest bet.. so long as his check of the area didn’t show something more promising.

Dice: perception check to look for anything of use as far as getting in goes, or just to get a sense of the layout of the grounds. I can either use regular perception of my Thief skill of 9.. though I’m not sure his subskills (Escape Artist, Locks and Safes, and Stealth) would be ideal for the task. Functionally I'm looking for anything that would help with getting in, that could be something that might help with a social interaction or just spotting an open window, or anything else that might be helpful.

dunecat

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Sun Aug 25 2013, 23:23

OOC Stealth will do it - you're looking for the easiest route in that will avoid detection. It's tricky - this place doesn't just let any old riff raff in... Roll 9,9 (18) Double! Roll 5,4 (9) total 27. On the other hand...

With an expert eye Stormbreaker appraises the grounds.

Regular patrols. Dogs. Well tended grounds, what trees there were could provide cover, as might the odd low bush, but... that telltale red flash of a sweeping infra red beam suggested electronic 'tripwires'. Ok. What else? Cameras, motion sensors, possibly heat detection but with the dogs about that wouldn't be an issue - when the place was closed he expected them to be on. Alex leaned against a wall across the street and checked the time. 7 minutes... Guard change at the front gate. Another 9 minutes... guard change. Rotating guards, keeps them fresh and sharp sighted. Makes it less chance to bribe a guard who was bored and restless for hours on end.

Looked like there was no one... hold on.

One of the guards at the gate stopped a Bentley as it rolled up to the gate. He spoke to the driver, then went round to the passenger side and climbed in. The gates opened and the car purred in, leaving one guard, who stepped forward to speak to another car driver as the car rolled up. Alex casually crossed the road, passing underneath a camera which watched the gates, and ducked down, slipping behind the car on the blind side and inside the gates, on the back of the wall. He noted cameras watching the driveway to the grand house, and was pretty sure he could avoid them. That said, it would all take time, avoiding detection, even if he was clued up as to what to avoid - cameras would pan, he would move, then wait, then move...

Simply flying up into the darkness and over to the house itself would be much faster, but the chances of detection would be heightened. Then again... he turned and saw the car being admitted slowly trundle through the gates. It was an old style rolls royce, with an old fellow at the wheel, rosy cheeked and handlebar moustache covering his mouth. Probably half drunk - the 'old money' types had a casual disregard for the law, and no wonder, as they knew people who could easily brush things under the carpet. Might that be a way to get to the house unseen by cameras? He'd have to stop the car, and it would be turning slightly to head towards him shortly, headlights blazing...
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  dunecat Tue Aug 27 2013, 21:48

Alex silently thanks whatever moron was responsible for the invention of panning cameras as he slips his way across the grounds, often using very low flight speeds to travel quickly and silently without running the risk of stepping on a branch or hidden pressure sensor. Stopping behind a bush to wait for another opening in the camera net he realizes that he's grinning. Despite the potential danger involved this was in many ways risk free fun. If he was found he could always take off and try St. Johns office or move on to one of the other people that had been suggested. Still, he wanted to pull this off and that meant getting in.. a chance glance over his shoulder gave him a potential way up to the door without having to navigate all the cameras. He quickly gauged the distance between the ground and the bottom of the vehicle, he'd only need a touch over a foot to squeak under the vehicle..

Provided he guestimated the distance right he drops down behind his cover and lays out prone with the bag containing Stormbreaker held flat and pressed down over his chest. Tapping just the smallest bit of flight to keep himself floating a fraction of an inch above the ground he waited for the car to pull past and slid himself over sideways under the vehicle. From there he could use his flight to keep even with it, not have to have hand and footholds to grab onto and stay pretty much off the radar by using the car as cover.

(The plan is pretty well explained in the IC bit, but I want to use flight to skim just above the ground and slide in under the car if there's enough room between the bottom of the chassis and the ground. He'll only need enough room for himself and the bag containing Stormbreaker (which isn't that big, the sword is a normal arming sword or 'longsword' by DnD terming) which is only about 13-14 inches (33-35 cm I think). From there he'll follow the car using any available handhold to help himself keep aligned with it while keeping a watch out for his progress. When he's closer in he'll look for some cover to bail out from or stay where he is until the valet has parked the car. Whichever seems safer at the time.)

dunecat

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Thu Aug 29 2013, 20:54

Without minding whether he scraped along the floor or not thanks to superhuman durability, Stormbreaker easily slid under the Rolls Royce - there was plenty of ground clearance to cater for the large wheels and magic carpet ride suspension.

The car wafted up the driveway towards the grand house and parked. "Take good care of her..." hicupped the old gentleman driver as he staggered about, sloshing the whisky bottle and fumbling with a crystal glass as he wobbled towards the main entrance, a set of double doors that lead into a grand hallway. Suited staff at the door greete the fellow "Lord Carnaby, a pleasure sir. Your usual company? We have Jennifer available from 9 onwards too..."

The car started to roll away and Stormbreaker took the opportunity to roll out and slide up to the wall of the house, concealed in deep shadow. His expert trained thieves eye noted cameras on the outside of the building, sensors on the windows and it would be tricky to find which room held the fellow he'd come to see, as all were curtained. That left him a number of options. It was a warm, balmy evening and chances were an upper storey window had been left open. There would be a servants entrance and loading bay at the back, he could pose as somebody important to try and get in through the front, or he could wait for St Johns, or even ask to see him, though that would raise inevitable security concerns with the door staff.

Perhaps a distraction, or simply break in - through a wall or window. That sword would cut through nigh on anything, after all. A bit of 'exterior re-modelling' might not be appreciated, of course...

Just then he heard the faint crunch of distant feet on gravel, and the whining/yipping of a dog - guards?!?

OOC From where Alex is stood there are 6m to the left of him with the grand double doors, 2m to the left and right are large windows, curtained with lights shining beyond, and he's stood in shadow so as not to be seen. The guard/dog patrol is coming from around the side of the building, some 10m away from where Alex is stood. Best guess is he has 3 phases to act before the guard is round the corner and has a chance to spot him.
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  dunecat Thu Sep 19 2013, 22:16

Alex glances around quickly to take stock of his surroundings and then shakes his head. If it had just been a foot patrol he wouldn’t have any trouble but the dog was going to cause a problem. For a second he wishes that he could vanish into thin air. After a mental double take he grins, wets a finger on his tongue and checks the direction of any air motion. Then he listens to gauge the pace of the dog patrol. Once he has those two things down he lifts off the ground, lightly floating himself into position a good 10 feet off the ground, reaches into the duffel bag he has with him.. and vanishes into thin air with only a slight flash of energy to show where he had been for a second.

---------------------------

Actions

Spend my phase or two that I have to prep to learn which way the breeze (if any) is moving. This is important for that pesky sense of smell dogs have. Next is pacing how fast the guard is moving so I can gauge how quickly he will pass this wall of the building and round the next corner. After figuring out those things Fly up to the listed height. Then use the swords Dimension Travel power to travel to its tesserect, the Shrine of the Sword. This takes no check as the sword has area knowledge for this dimension; I believe that includes travel back to the material plane from it as well.

----------------------------

A similar small crackle of energy heralded Alex’s arrival in the Shrine. The portion of it he was permitted use of at least. A large stone chamber lit by a pair of hearths on both ends and several wall scones with torches set into them. The center was a currently dead forge and arrayed around it was a series of stone tables strewn about with various alchemical devices and reagents along with more mundane tools and materials ranging from cloth and leather to a pint of demons blood and f the horn of the mighty Helldrake, Ysarathus. This was where Alex maintained his workshop and staged his battle against the supernatural from.

After the moment it took to regain his composure from the transition Alex began to count in his head. Keeping in mind the pace the guard was walking at he should be able to simply wait here in the Shrine until he rounds the corner and puts enough distance between himself and the point Alex would return to for the dog to miss his scent. Then Alex could transition back and look for an open window or service access to the building. Once inside he could change into some more appropriate clothing for the building and go about his business..

..3…2…1..

Another minor ripple of energy signaled another transition back to the prime plane..

---------------------------

Any other checks needed to time things out properly here and then to travel back.. hopefully to a location devoid of anyone who would Alex suddenly appearing out of nothing and floating 10 feet in the air.. oF course something could interupt me at the Shrine instead. Which could throw this whole plan out the window..

dunecat

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Mon Sep 23 2013, 23:47

OOC Nice, didn't see that one coming.

Alex looked around at the place which was an escape from the chaos of the mortal world.

Everything was familiar, reeked of magical energy and was as he'd left it.

Wait.

He frowned, and looked again. There on the wall. Had he put that mirror there?

"No. I did."

Alex started. The image of the former wielder of the sword, Áinle Ó Riáin, appeared in the mirror. How had...?

"How did I put it there? The ways of magic and the spiritual world are mysterious!" she laughed, throwing her head back, locks trailing. She looked as she had when Alex had first met her in spirit form. Her face straightened "Stormbringer. A gate between worlds is opened, that you know. What you don't know is that forces are gathering to make it wider. Different cults, usually opposed and therefore limited in their scope, have forgotten past enmity and therein lies your problem."

"Yes, yours. For you represent the clarion call, the rallying cry of the forces of good that can oppose this menace. I speak of the dread lord Drakkara, a Devil from the deepest pit of hell! Even speaking his name draws attention, and therefore I shall say it no more. If that dread lord enters the mortal realm the seas will boil, the skies will blacken and he will devour on souls, tainting them and spewing them out as dread footsoldiers to drag more victims to his clutches, and from there more footsoldiers will issue forth and the problem will become a contagion!"

Alex breathed in and wondered what he knew of Drakkara. A faint memory of an ancient tome, written on human skin in the blood of the monks that penned it, of a vile fat creature, four armed, with a gaping frog like maw and dozens of eyes... even the sight of it would drive innocent people to the brink of madness! It would be like unleashing a plague on the world!

Alex looked back at the mirror. It was darkened and dormant once again, but the message had been clear. That castle in the North harboured far more danger than previously thought...

=========

With a troubled mind Alex winked back into the air above the ground where he'd vanished seconds before...

His timing had been spot on. The dog was agitated, dragging the guard about but the guard was getting annoyed, thinking the dog was jumping at shadows. Alex watched the guard drag the dog around the corner, then turned to the building. He found a skylight in the roof and prised it open easily enough, coming into a loft/storage area. He dropped down through a hatch/ladder onto the top floor landing. He was perceptive enough to know that the bustle and hustle of the mansion took place on any of the half dozen lower floors assuming the grand old house went below ground level.

The world was in danger. Serious, deadly peril. Would the superheroes of Britain, Europe, America and beyond respond to him? The law didn't trust him, and Alex feared he knew the answer. Disarm, capture, interrogate, jail... They'd listen to his claims maybe, file them for later investigation and the peril would creep up on them, unchecked and unexpected.

He needed help.

Last edited by Admin on Sat Oct 05 2013, 23:06; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Edited - Ainle is a she. I imagine her as a fiery freckled redhead with bright red curly locks down her back, able to take her drink and as fiercely loyal to her friends as she is fiercely angry to her enemies. Let me know if I'm wrong...)
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Sat Oct 05 2013, 23:38

Downstairs...

Boozy laughter rang out in the smoky drawing room, a large open plan place full of men of old money. A pianist played in the corner, mostly unappreciated, whilst a roaring fire warmed the place and reflected from the glittering eyes of the grouped revellers as they sat in sumptuous red leather chairs and sipped pricey liquor from expensive crystal.

One individual smiled at the joke made by a blustering older fellow, his jowls shaking as he piped out laughter at his own joke. His dark eyes missed nothing, and a keen observer would have noted that the mans' drink sat untouched at the table.

He suddenly turned, eyes narrowed, and stood, smiling at those sat around him. "Need a break, freshen up. Next round is on me." he smiled and turned towards a distant waiter who missed nothing and set into motion the events that would see the drinks topped up to the guests satisfaction.

The tall well built man in his impeccable suit strode purposefully towards the polished oak doors which opened before he arrived at them thanks to immaculately dressed doormen.

==========

Another man noted the exit of the fellow and turned back to the conversation at hand...

"What do you say?" laughed a fellow as the conversation turned to a topic that required input.

"Hmmm? Superhumans are a necessary evil I feel. By incarcerating the good AND the bad, we opened ourselves wide to the prospect of disaster. We almost paid the ultimate price a few years ago with the registration act. That said... we cannot let our guard down. They walk among us, unseen, with the power to flatten armies. We must be wary, and should the opportunity present itself, must use every advantage we can get over every enemy, whoever they may be."

"You never know what will happen next when a superhuman is near. Friend? Foe? Headaches for the Insurance companies?"

The group laughed out loud even as the fellow stood "Back in a moment..." he smiled, and headed for the doors.

==========

Upstairs...

Alex looked down the hall. Having dropped onto the next level down a short flight of stairs and peering through the gap of a door, he figured there were two floors before he would get to where the main groups of revellers were gathered. Suddenly he shivered.

Somewhere in this place was powerful magic... and it was getting closer...
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  dunecat Wed Oct 09 2013, 17:48

Alex instinctively reaches for where Stormbreaker usually hung strapped across his back. The fact that the sword was in a largeish duffel bag brought him back to thinking rather than reacting however. He needed to speak to St. Johns, but he lacked time. The news Áinle had brought him once again impressed upon him how short on time he was. Contending with Kaberaxus was one thing, he was a slow working evil that drew his powers from others with no true limit to how far that could take him. His physical manifestation wouldn’t be a thing of great destruction for he couldn’t convert the dead to following him. This Drakkara he had just been warned about was a more pressing concern and cut his time even shorter..
Now there was this unknown magical source coming towards him and caution warred with expedience. He had little to fear here from the security of course, but any source of magic could be dangerous. With no option but to push on he moves forwards cautiously.

Actions: Alex is going to advance through this floor looking for someone on the staff to pull aside and question about the presence of St. Johns at the club. He’s also going to do his best to avoid the other magic source he’s sensing for now. No point confronting something like that unless I need to at the moment. I can see this taking up several rounds between needed stealth rolls, a grapple to grab whomever is available to get some info from, and Interrogation checks using Infl/Aura

For Reference – Theif 9, Dex 14, Str 8, Infl 11, Aura 8, Int 7, Will 6

Int/Will is there in case he needs to make any info checks

dunecat

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Thu Oct 10 2013, 23:56

OOC Rolls... Thief 2d10 → [1,1] = (2) FAILURE
Grab 2d10 → [1,10] = (11) Success
Interrogate 2d10 → [4,1] = (5) Success

Blame invisible castle, not me Razz

Stormbringer crept along the corridor, heard footsteps coming along the corridor around a bend and figured he'd find somewhere to duck out of sight...

Unfortunately there was nowhere, and he saw a maid gasp as she rounded the corner, hand to mouth! Even as he lunged towards her, she screamed and the sound rang out through the floor, and presumably beyond!

Stifling a curse he clamped a hand over her mouth and drew her to the side of the corridor. She was petrified, a young woman of eastern European descent. Knowing that someone would have heard the scream, Alex had to be fast, and hissed his questions out.

"Where is Justin St Johns?" he asked

Her eyes widened, and she shook her head, either to mean she didn't know who he was or where he was, or that she wouldn't tell him. He asked again, more forcibly, and mumbled something through the hand over her mouth. Under threat to quieten her if she screamed again, Alex moved his hand away, ready to clamp it over her mouth again if she screamed.

"H...he is on the third floor... the Drawing Room... but... Lord St Johns is so nice He always tips and ..." she spluttered in accented english, before Alex clamped a hand over her mouth again.

The 'Ping!' of the elevator at the far end of the corridor suggested someone else was coming. All around there were doors in the corridor leading to rooms of some kind. A quick try of a handle showed the closest was locked. Alex had only heartbeats before the elevator opened and he was revealed further!
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 4 of 6 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next