The Vanguard Play by Post Roleplaying Game
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The NEW Vanguard! Kyoko Issue 1 "The Enemy of My Enemy..."

3 posters

Page 1 of 6 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Go down

The NEW Vanguard! Kyoko Issue 1 "The Enemy of My Enemy..." Empty The NEW Vanguard! Kyoko Issue 1 "The Enemy of My Enemy..."

Post  Admin Tue Mar 05 2013, 00:44

Kyoko
Body
Mind
Spirit
Hero Points

The NEW Vanguard! Kyoko Issue 1 "The Enemy of My Enemy..." Kyoko_logo

The NEW Vanguard! Kyoko Issue 1 "The Enemy of My Enemy..." Kyoko_issue_1_titles

“Kyoko? Are you paying attention?”

Kyoko looked up, embarrassed. The other girls in the class chuckled but kept it down as best they could. Miss Barnum was a stickler for rules and laughing in class clearly broke the ‘No Frivolity or Gaiety’ rule. Learning was serious business.

Indeed, Kyoko had been reflecting on that which she had learned since gaining her powers several weeks ago and arriving here. The grief, the pain, was still strong (OOC The game is set in 2017, a few years from now, but chances are the Earthquake region around Japan will have suffered another tremor in the game world – let’s hope that no such real life disaster strikes again in our lifetime..) and so was the guilt.

Magic came with a price, and Kyoko would continue to pay it for the rest of her life. Sighing and knowing that whatever answer she gave the teacher wouldn’t be the right one, Kyoko looked up sheepishly and nodded.

The Teacher frowned, a deep monobrow that made her look mannish. The school – the Willington Bedford academy for higher learning – was expensive and exclusive, but they didn’t let the wealth or importance of their charges influence their teaching or their methods of disciplining students, and Kyoko had thought it important that were the case. With money beyond her wildest dreams and no need to ever work again, she needed to keep both feet on the ground.

Doubly hard seeing as she was a sorceress…

With the next lengthy tirade Miss Barnum rose several octaves and took on a decidedly purple hue. Kyoko wondered what she would look like with a pointed witches hat on, then quelled the idea. About to demurely answer and admit her guilt at daydreaming, Kyoko suddenly shuddered.

It felt like someone had turned the temperature down in the room by twenty degrees! She shivered and looked around, but saw only bowed heads and other pupils trying to avoid the teachers wrath!

Then she saw something else.

The NEW Vanguard! Kyoko Issue 1 "The Enemy of My Enemy..." Niles_Quentin_Abaddon

A mistlike form, coalescing into view and standing beside her teacher!

A stern face, olden style – possibly Victorian – clothes and a near translucent form presented itself only twenty or so feet away from where she sat! The man turned, and the eyes seem to bore straight into Kyoko’s own, before he spoke in a rasping whisper that was clear to her ears even over the ranting tirade of the Tutor!

“My name is Niles Quentin-Abaddon. I have been, and am, an evil man. My wicked ways have caused my downfall. However, I send this message out to all competent sorcerers and psychics as a request and a warning! I am held captive by a power greater than mine, who intends to use my power for evil such as I could only dream of! Therefore it is in my and in your best interests to free me from captivity! Follow my spirit trail, if you dare, and gird your soul lest it be blasted and laid waste by that which will drain the life from me and turn my powers to the downfall of mankind! The dead shall rise and walk the Earth when there is no more room in Hell! It is a time long prophesied and my captor would see it hastened to become a reality! Hasten ye! Free me so that you and yours, aye, and all those worthless helpless sheep that mill about may blunder on, oblivious, whilst the fears and terrors of which man was not meant to know are sealed back in their loathsome crypt!”

The man seemed to fade from view, but Kyoko sensed* something. A tendril of sorts, some marker that showed a spirit had been here. The others in the room seemed to sense it too, for the young ladies hugged themselves and mist formed on their breath! Even the teacher looked flustered and lost for words, turning to the thermostat on the wall and checking it before cupping her hands and blowing into them. "It appears the heating has broken down. Please wait here whilst I investigate and read chapter 14. I shall ask questions of you when I return!"

OOC Kyoko doesn't know the man, and clearly the others in the room didn't see him. Whether she chooses to investigate or ignore his plea is up to her, but the fact is that strange and mysterious powers know of her existence now - her life will never be the same again!

*Looked for magic sense. Couldn't find it. Would've thought that with the +1FC (Detects Strength) would have been extremely useful in her line of work... Also truesight might be another worth considering if you can free up the points... I know Sorcery allows you simulate those powers, but it's kind of like closing the door after the horse has bolted - by the time the spell is cast whatever you might be wanting to see might have gone, or you might not have known to look/sense in the first place. That's your call, and there are the first two issues to tweak things, so no worries if you want to change (or don't your choice Smile )
Admin
Admin
Admin

https://darkeningshadows.darkbb.com

Back to top Go down

The NEW Vanguard! Kyoko Issue 1 "The Enemy of My Enemy..." Empty Re: The NEW Vanguard! Kyoko Issue 1 "The Enemy of My Enemy..."

Post  deeyin Tue Mar 05 2013, 04:07

It was embarrassing. She had always been distractible, but ever since her change, she was even more so. How can one focus when you can not just daydream, but actually project your mind through space and time and make your thoughts reality? Reality is so confining when you are no longer bound by it. So, she was properly chagrined when Miss Barnum had snapped her back to attention.

The teacher’s unibrow reminded her of Frida Kahlo’s unibrow, but there were few other similarities, she thought. And Miss Barnum certainly was no Salma Hayek. Hmm, maybe sometime she should go see that movie… no, focus! She told herself, putting her attention back on class. It offered a lot, and she really did want the grounding. It would have been easy enough to push away from all such things and concerns given her powers, but it was important to keep some semblance of reality. Besides, it would have made her mother very proud, she hoped. She began to think back to Japan, when the temperature caught her attention, and she shivered, and then shivered again at the sight of the specter. He spoke and it was clear he was speaking to her, and this time, she paid rapt attention.

When he finished, she considered a few things. He had not referrd to her by name, and he had said that he sent it to several sorcerers and psychics. Therefore, he probably did not know who she was. It was likely a spell sent that would detect those who had power and would activate and speak to them, with no knowledge sent to him about the targets. If he was imprisoned, that was especially likely, since his ability would be hindered. However, if his spell could detect her, then others could as well. So, while she was likely safely hidden for now, that might not be a situation that would last forever. Given he had said there were competent mages and mentalists, it would only be time before they started to seek each other, or someone else would investigate them. How many were there, she wondered?

As for Niles, she wondered what the best thing to do was. It could all be a trap he had set. He had said he was evil, so this could be a trick, to capture her and use her power. But if it was real, then perhaps things were better for him to stay imprisoned as he said he was. But while those were both thoughts, she knew she could follow neither of them. Given the description he had said, she could not leave it to chance that it was a trick. She could not risk letting it be real and doing nothing; she would have to see for certain. And if it was, she would have to rescue him. What could, would, or should be done about him would be something to determine later, if anything at all. Being wicked at heart is not a crime, it is one’s actions that should be punished. Perhaps he would commit none, having seen a greater evil and would turn a new leaf.

Oh, she was getting too far ahead of herself, she knew. Right now, the important thing to do was to find out the truth. So, when the teacher said she was going to go investigate the heating problem, Kyoko saw her chance. After the teacher left, she took the hall pass, as if she was going to the lavatory. Once out and alone, she duplicated herself. She could leave her double here to study, giving her a firm admonishment to `pay attention and study hard!’ She would call her back as soon as school and class ended.

She summons a portion of her power, preparing herself for what she must do, then turns herself invisible and follow the spirit trail the ghost had left behind.

(ooc)
Kyoko used a point of sorcery for the Split spell. So, she is at 1 less AP for everything for this adventure until she can recall her double, and since her powers are linked, that gives her only a sorcery and power reserve of 6.

Kyoko activates her power reserve. Of the 6 points, she puts 3 points in aura, 3 points in spirit.
That would put her sorcery at 12 (11 available due to spending one for the split), and her spirit at 11.

She puts 5 in invisibility and 6 in dispersal so she can follow the trail directly, without walls interfering. All spells are under the Spirit threshhold, so no mystic bashing damage applies.

I understand it is 2017, but what city ae we in? What country? My initial assumption was that this was New York, as in the other game, but then realized that was not specified. So, where are we located? USA? UK? Australia? Elsewhere? I am fine with any of them. It also is not strictly necessary for some of us to be together physicaly. For instance, given Kyoko’s teleportation and power reserve, it would only take a few seconds for her to go anywhere in the world.

It is true she does not have magic sense. I had not considered truesight, but awareness is another useful power, especially for mages. So, perhaps I will make a few tweaks. I think that can wait at least until after this adventure though.

And yes, let us hope there is not another earthquake of such a scale. There are hundreds each year, and many of those can be felt happening, but fortunately, most are small and do no damage.

deeyin
Street Level: Vigilante

Back to top Go down

The NEW Vanguard! Kyoko Issue 1 "The Enemy of My Enemy..." Empty Re: The NEW Vanguard! Kyoko Issue 1 "The Enemy of My Enemy..."

Post  Admin Wed Mar 06 2013, 13:33

Kyoko
Body
4 (5)
Mind
4 (5)
Spirit
11 (9)
Hero Points
Powers active: Sorcery, Split (1AP), Invisible 5, Dispersal 6 - NOTE! Kyoko will take 3RAPs Bashing damage every phase she keeps up the current spells. You may want to revise that. The total APs of Sorcery you use, regardless of how they are split, is compared against the Characters Spirit to determine Bashing damage
Current Location: Westchester County, New York, School

In the hall, a muttered spell caused an exact duplicate of Kyoko to step from her body.

With a nod to her clone who turned back to the classroom Kyoko spoke more spells and turned invisible, then stepped through walls and doors as if they were ghostlike and she the solid one.

The school, in the county of Westchester, New York, was old and popular with well to do parents sending their children for the finest education money could buy around here. Everyone wore a uniform, and discipline was strictly upheld. She wondered how the Principle would view her current actions and chuckled. Hogwarts this was not.

The spirit trail she had seen suddenly vanished. It was for the eyes of mystics only, and Quentin-Abaddon clearly had either reached the limits of his powers and provided only a needle thin trail to follow or wanted only the most competent of sorcerers to come to his aid. Ignoring the fact the trail passed around dozens of pupils and ended at a wall to the outside of the building, Kyoko knew she would have to cast another spell to pick up the trail. She glanced around. The classroom she was stood in was oblivious to her, the teacher droning on with a maths lesson.

A girl sat nearby shivered, and glanced around at empty space before shrugging and continuing making notes, unaware she'd look right at Kyoko.

OOC You need to come up with a spell to track the mystic trail. Think of the spell Abaddon sent out to be a Spiderweb with him at the centre, with a thousand, thousand threads sent out in every direction. To see the thread you need to be a potent sorcerer. He doesn't want neophytes turning up!
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  deeyin Wed Mar 06 2013, 14:44

Suddenly suffering a headache, as if she was overtaxing herself, Kyoko winced and put her hands to her head, and let the dispersal drop while maintaining the invisibility. She was still not used to this, and sometimes overeagerness caused her to take on or try more than she could handle. With time she would get better she knew. But for now, it was best to take it more lightly. She then readjusted her reserves slightly, to help her concentrate and help her perceptions.

With a smile, she looked about the classroom. It was amazing how she could use her abilities and not be noticed, right under their noses! True, the Principle probably would not be happy. Discipline was likely not holding buckets of water outside a classroom either. But that would only be a problem if she was caught, and she thought she could avoid that happening. So, hopefully the discipline and strictness would not affect her. The uniforms did not bother her either, since they are standard in Japan, so she had worn one nearly all her life. Overall, this was a very good school, and she was glad to have chosen it.

The end of the trail caused her to twist her mouth into a frustrated frown, and she knew she would have to try something new. Using her shapechanging abilities, she changed her form into that of a thirtysomething woman. Then, she exited the classroom before ending her invisibility, closing the classroom door with an uttered, “Sorry, wrong room!” In this disguise, hopefully the teacher would just think she was simply a lost teacher or parent and go back to teaching. And Kyoko could then walk out of the school unnoticed. If anyone questioned her, she could simply say she dropped off the homework her daughter had left at home.

Presuming it all went as planned, she would walk outside to the part of the school the spirit trail had ended. Hopefully she could pick it up from here. And to assist with that, she used her abilities to summon Truesight. And looked about to see if she could find the trail again.

(ooc)
Hmmm, in the 2nd edition of DC heroes (the boxed set), it was not the combined sorcery that was checked for damage, it was each individual spell. So, under those rules, Kyoko would not have taken any mystical bashing damage since her spells were low powered ones, and that was what I was thinking of. However, since you mentioned it, I looked and see that this was changed this in 3rd edition to the combined total, and Blood of Heroes also continued that description, so now she does take damage. So, you are correct on this, and I will have to make some revisions, I think. That will teach me not to look at the most current descriptions! ^_^

It should be noted though, that unlike Zatanna and some others, Kyoko does not have a limitation that she must speak to use magic.

Power Reserve: 1 point in Int, 2 in Aura, 3 in Spirit.
This would give her 10 for sorcery and an 11 for spirit, so now she will be safe from the bashing damage. Also, she has Regeneration of 4, so in about 4 minutes she can make a recovery check for the bashing damage she took, and she will do so at that time.

Sorcery: Truesight of 10APs

And I do not think I mentioned it before, but I do love the logo! Very nice, and a very funny movie!

Fiinally, just as a note, in the other game, I had a question that I need answered before i can post. I mention it heer only because you said you check here most often. Thank you!

deeyin

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Thu Mar 07 2013, 00:10

Kyoko
Body
4 (5)
Mind
4 (5)
Spirit
8/11 (9)
Hero Points
Powers active: Sorcery (see below), Split (1AP), Power Reserve: 1 point in Int, 2 in Aura, 3 in Spirit

After a few moments of muttered apologies, confusion from anyone present and Kyokos amazing shapechanging power applied at the right moment, she found herself outside the school itself

Figuring this was perhaps some kind of illusion she was up against, Kyoko applied a spell of Trueight but came up short. It revealed nothing of interest that she could see outside the school, including the thread which had vanished from sight. With a sigh she set her mind to the problem.

OOC It's a magical thread she wants to follow, and she doesn't need to be able to see it, simply sense, then follow it to it's logical conclusion.

=========

Elsewhere, at that moment...

"Sisters! Do you sense that? I do more than that... I can almost taste it!"

"Young, strong, healthy..." cackled another woman. Shadows in the dark hovel masked their appearance, but their intent was ugly enough, not that there were any onlooker to behold the speakers foulness.

"I want it! Mine!" cackled a third woman, and the three set to squabbling as they fished through mounds of magical paraphernalia and junk.

Finally they came to an accord and settled on places around a table, a sphere of crystal set on it. "Let us see what we shall see, sisters!" one of the crones cackled...

Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  deeyin Thu Mar 07 2013, 04:02

Truesight had seemed to be a good idea. It can see things mystically concealed, so if the thread had been present, it should have been able to detect it. However, it did not, so either it was concealed with a power greater than she could penetrate, or it was not concealed, but was simply gone.

Still, although she could not see it, perhaps it left an aura that might be something that could be followed. Kyoko ended the truesight and tried a Magic Sense to see if it could be detcted in that manner and followed. If this was also a failure, then she would have to try something else, such as a Detect (thread aura).

(ooc)
Sorcery: Magic Sense of 10APs
If that does not work, she will try the Detect power as noted above.

deeyin

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Sat Mar 09 2013, 05:28

Kyoko
Body
4 (5)
Mind
4 (5)
Spirit
8/11 (9)
Hero Points
Powers active: Split (1AP), Power Reserve: 1 point in Int, 2 in Aura, 3 in Spirit, Magic Sense 10

Changing her spells, Kyoko sensed rather than saw the magic thread. Simply put, there was nothing to actually see, rather it was a trail to follow, much like a bloodhound would follow a scent. In this case Kyoko sensed the thread and something else...

OOC Roll 9,5 (14) Success.

It was clear to the young woman that the originator of the spell that had sent the message out was powerful, probably more so than Kyoko. If someone or something could imprison such a power, it must be more powerful, or have had help. Should Kyoko be attempting to rescue such an individual on her own? It would be a challenge - the greatest she'd ever faced since gaining her amazing magical powers...

She 'gazed' at the thread with eyes closed and sensed it again. It ran in an arrow straight line. By teleporting and checking it every so often, she could follow the thread to it's source... if she dared!
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  deeyin Sat Mar 09 2013, 08:05

It was power she sensed, more than her own. That did give her pause. That whomever sent the summons was more powerful and was evil meant this was dangerous. And that he had been captured by something even more evil and more powerful was definitely troublesome. How could she hope to measure up to this? But what else could she do? She did not know any heroes or heroines, or anyone who might be interested or involved in such a thing. So going for assistance would not be possible. But there were some things that she could consider. The one who sent the summons might be powerful, but he was also constrained. And he certainly would not be fighting her. Simply for self-preservation, he would be helping her as he could to gain his freedom. So, perhaps together they could defeat the greater source of evil. And afterwards, if he was so weakened from his captivity, perhaps he would not be a threat either. Or perhaps he could use his experience to turn a new leaf and repent his past misdeeds and become a better person. That would only be possible if she tried, and perhaps gave him a better example to follow. It was a naive thought, but she was young, and that was the thought that drove her now.

She concentrated on herself, and again switched her focus internally. Then, since she would be teleporting, she decided it would be best to try to avoid as many distractions as possible. So, she turned invisible one more time, so she wpould not be disturbed by outsiders as she flew or teleported along the path she was sensing. And finally, she decided it would be best to have a warning before she arrived at this danger, and set a spell to warn her should there be true danger before it struck.

And then, off she would go.

(ooc)
Power Reserve: 3 points in Aura, 3 points in Spirit, giving her a respective 6 Aura and a 11 Spirit.
This gives her a Regeneration of 6 as well, so she only has 1 minute to wait before she can make a bashing recovery check, which she will do as soon as possible.

Sorcery: Invisibility of 5 APs, Danger Sense 5 APs (10 total under her 11 Spirit)

deeyin

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Mon Mar 11 2013, 00:10

Kyoko
Body
4 (5)
Mind
4 (5)
Spirit
11 (9)
Hero Points
Powers active: Split (1AP), Danger Sense 5, Invisibility 5, Power Reserve: 3 in Aura (6), 3 in Spirit (11), Magic Sense 10

Prepared as best as she could manage, Kyoko stood invisible and (hopefully) forewarned of potential pitfalls. She run a couple of scenarios through her head and decided on course of action. Now there was little else but to follow the trail and see where it went. Her speed allowed her to transport herself a couple of miles with each hop. If the thread lead a further distance than that, she would have to consider other options.

Even, perhaps, a plane ticket!

OOC Note that increasing Aura will not increase linked abilities. Page 25 of Blood of Heroes fixes what I always considered to be a back door into cheap high powered abilities. Back in the days of 1st edition Superspeed and martial artist linked generally saw starting characters able to knock out 20APs AV/EV.

Because Linking is inherently a Limitation, if an Attribute with Linked Abilities is increased for any reason, the APs of the Abilities are not increased and must be increased separately. To allow a Linked Ability to be automatically increased when the Linked Attribute is increased, reduce the bonus for Linking the Ability to subtracting one (1 ) Factor Cost instead of the standard two. If the Linked Ability is increased for any reason, the Attribute it is linked to is not increased.
. Page 25.

That's why I am perfectly fine with the constant tweaking and changing of characters for the first couple of adventures as we get to grips with the changes in rules from DC 3e to BoH. Of course, if you knew about that and are fine with Teleportation staying at 4APs I'll shut up Smile

With the Danger Sense and Invisibility in place can I assume Kyoko will use Teleportation (4Aps, range 11APs or a couple of miles at a time) to follow the thread?

If so, Regeneration gives a recovery (Roll 3,8 Success) Spirit recovers to 11 points. Also...

Kyoko had been 'hopping' for a couple of minutes and got an uneasy feeling that the path/thread lead rather further than she might have originally thought. A straight line slashed through the county and headed towards the coast unerringly. In fact the direction suggested roughly North East.

Towards the North Atlantic Ocean. She could keep following the thread with her 2 mile hops, or consider another means of hopping greater distances, trusting on her ability to sense magic to keep her on the right track. There was nothing to see with regards the thread, but it was there, and unerringly pointing towards the Ocean miles away...
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  deeyin Mon Mar 11 2013, 14:31

If the thread continued, teleportation, assisted with her flight, was still her best method of travel she knew. A commercial plane woould be folly. Not knowing where the threat might end, she might book a plane that did not go far enough, or worse, could ovvershoot the end completely forcing her to backtrack. But teleporting miles evevry few seconds, she could control where she went much better. And it would be faster, most flights did not go more than the speed of sound. But she could cover a much larger area, much much faster with her powers. Besides, she would need to get to the airport early, wait for the plane, board, hope there were not delays, disembark, and other activites. The thread might very well fade by that time. BNo, this was something far better to do on her own, with her own power. And so, she continued.

When it seemed that the path was going to cross into the ocean, she wondered if it wopuld actually cross, or hit an island at some point. Still, it would be a vast distance to go, so she elected to increase her distance. She quickly checked the time. When school was over, she could recall her double, making this far easier. And then she would be off.

(ooc)
Sigh, another change between DC Heroes and BoH catches me by surprise again! ^_^;
I had not known that linking no longer truly linkes powers and abilities, and only lowers them, not raises them. It seems counterintuitive and is not a decision I agree with, but it is the rules, so I will accomodate. The factor cost is adjusted for her powers so it does raise as it used to. Version 3 is in your email. ^_^

I have used that version for this posting, if you do not mind.

Jumbo jets have a flight of 8. She has teleportation of 4, (+7 for range), giving her a range of 11 APs, much faster than a plane would offer. It would be even more if she put more into it (which she has been). Any travel she has to do, she is much better off doing so herself.

Currently:
Power Reserve: 3 in Aura (making it a 6), 3 in Spirit (making it a 11)
Sorcery: Invisibility 5, Magic Sense 5 (no bashing damage)

With 3 in aura assisting teleportation, she can teleport 8 miles in 4 seconds (the equivalent distance of someone going about 8000 miles per hour).

deeyin

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Wed Mar 13 2013, 09:18

Kyoko
Body
4 (5)
Mind
4 (5)
Spirit
11 (9)
Hero Points

Sorcery: Invisibility 5, Magic Sense 5 (no bashing damage)

OOC I'm the same as you - the changes catch me by surprise sometimes, but the ones I've seen thus far all make sense. The authors of Blood of Heroes had quite a lot of input from the DC Heroes Mailing list I believe, so that the rules therein are probably the best tweaked and most balanced even though they make the game 'crunchier' (more complicated). Superspeed was right to be re-costed and it always struck me as a glaring fault about people being able to exploit Superspeed and Density Increase (the two main reasonable cost powers that boost stats that I can think of off the top of my head, aside from Shape Change, Power Reserve and Self Manipulation which cost a lot more) to boost linked powers and skills. I was guilty of that myself in 1st and 2nd edition DC Heroes playing/GMing days so I think the -1FC is actually pretty good for 'linked abilities go up if stat increases' as it is a definite bonus over the standard linked ability.

Through driving rain and blowing gale the young woman vanished and reappeared miles later, following the invisible thread

Invisible that is, save to those who could see it with spirit eyes! Nearly 300' up to avoid teleporting into anything, Kyoko thought she'd have a problem when it came to crossing the sea. That proved not to be so, for even though the waves came over the point at which the thread ran through, and in some cases by fifty feet or more, the thread remained clear and visible to the youngster. Truth told she could close her eyes and 'see' it, which was handy as driving rain pelted her face and caused her to shiver...

With New York a dot behind her and wild rolling waves ahead Kyoko knew not that the thread lead to Northern Europe somewhere. Those Geography classes came in handy she figured and reached behind her for a text book in her satchel... only to realise her split had it, back in school! She grinned despite the icy rain and knew that if she was to continue this path she needed some means of protection. Not from the magical forces that could be arrayed against her, but against the elements which made the going uncomfortable at best, intolerable at worst!

OOC I can imagine it gets extremely cold in the middle of the North Atlantic, for such is where Kyoko will be shortly...
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  deeyin Wed Mar 13 2013, 09:56

The rain and the cold was botherseome, but she reflected it was not as affecting as it would have before her change. Still, it could bear some protection. Since she had an ocean to cross, she decided that she would not need the invisibility again until land was in sight. So, she let herself become visible and used her magic for warmth. She smiled at the missing pack, and idly wondered if the pack would come as well when she recalled her double. She was not certain; it would be an interesting to discover. She laughed, thinking it was an easy way to get out of doing homework she did not want to do.

Despite the situation, she was intrigued by the destination. She had never been to northern Europe, but thought it would be an interesting place to see. Perhaps she could stay a bit and sightsee, once things were restored. And her thoughts were then distracted with thoughts of places to see and go as she travelled on.

(ooc)
Sorcey: Magic Sense 5, Sealed System 5.
Sealed systems will last for 9 APs time, 30 minutes, but in that amount of time with with her teleportation of 6 (13 AP range), she can travel 22 APs distance (4000 miles) which would get her to Sweden.

I agree that these rules are likely the most balanced of them all. It has had some of the most thorough discussions one can have.

That is a good question on the temperature. I think it would depend on the time of year it is now.

deeyin

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Fri Mar 15 2013, 23:14

Kyoko
Body
4 (5)
Mind
4 (5)
Spirit
11 (9)
Hero Points

Sorcery: Magic Sense 5, Sealed System 5.

OOC Just read up on the Sealed Systems +4APs duration. The more I read of Blood of Heroes, the more it seems the powers give more 'bang for buck', a good thing.

Feeling warmer, Kyoko turns to look towards the direction of travel, drinking in the wild majesty of the ocean which contrasted against the iron grey sky and wild wind driving the rain.

Then she noticed the thread was gone.

She looked around, but could not see it! How far had she come? Was it... 30 jumps, or 60? More? And ... and which direction should she continue in? She *thought* the correct direction was the one.. no. She couldn't be sure. What had happened to the thread? Had the captor of the mysterious mage discovered and dispelled it? Did it mean the man was dead? Kyoko looked about again. Rolling waves, fifty, a hundred feet high, the wind becoming wilder and more powerful... rain, driving hard into her face so that it felt like she were being pelted! Lightning cracking from the sky! Thunder rumbling!

And a mysterious voice, a hiss, imagined perhaps? Did it speak, heard above the violence of the storm? No... not speech, it was something else...

Laughter???

OOC Kyoko is hovering above the middle of the ocean somewhere with the storm becoming wilder and the thread having vanished completely! Kyoko has a rough idea of the direction she was travelling in... or might do. After all, every wave kinda looks the same!
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  deeyin Sat Mar 16 2013, 08:18

Hmmm. The laughter meant she was being watched. It was disturbing, but not altogether surprising. Invisibility might not help either, given that since she knew they were likely more powerful than she was, their scrying could well be as well, especially when she could not devote the full measure of her power to remaining unseen, but needed to divide it among several powers. Of course, it was possible they had to do the same, so perhaps there was a chance.

Well, the first thing to do was to discover if the thread had disappeared, or if she had gone off course. While it had been going completely straight, That does not mean it had to continue to have done so. Perhaps it had turned? It was also possible that it had ended at some point back, because the final destination was not in Europe, but here over the ocean. With magic, it would be possible to offset a prison slightly out of phase with the world and locate it here.

So, she would teleport back to her last location, and see if she could discern the thread at all. Teleporting back to where she was before should be easy enough. If she has lost her bearings, since it has only been about a minute or so, she can driop the magic sense and use a postcognition or time travel or other spell to see back to where she was facing when she showed up after the last jump, and go the opposite way. Or a banishment spell with a bonus it applies to distance, not dimension and case it on herself to go back where she was before.

Once back, she would try the magic sense again to see if the thread was about. If so, she would follow it flying, so she could see where it turned off or ended.

However, if it was no longer there either, then she would have to conclude that it had faded, and she could only hope that it did continue straight and would eventually lead to something that could be detected visually or magically, else she would have no chance to find what she was looking for. In this case, she regretfully realized that she would no longer be able to continue to teleport. The distances she was covering were too vast, and she might miss something along the way. She would have to fly the remainder, requiring a slight juggling of abilities again.

(ooc)
If the thread is found once more, she proceeds with the following:
Sorcery: Sealed System 5. Magic Sense 5,
Flight is a 6

If the thread has simply disappeared, she adjusts in this manner.
Power Reserve: 5 in Aura (making it an Cool, 1 in Spirit (making it a 9)
Sorcery: Sealed System 5, Magic Sense 3
Flight is an 8

The sealed systems will likely not be enough to last to her destination in this case if she must go all the way to Europe, but that is not such a problem. She has a body of 4, so that should be tough enough to handle the weather long enough for her drop and reset the spell giving her that protection again. Also, once school has ended, she will also be able to end the split, and she will do so, since the 1AP can make a very big difference here.

I think some of the powers have been fixed. Not all of them are more powerful, some are less so, as we have been seeing here in Kyoko’s build! ^_^ But I think that perhaps they are more balanced in many cases. Sealed Systems really did need its duration extended to make it a viable power in that respect, especially if you are playing with 450 base characters. 5-8 APs, the usual level for powers for those standard heroes is simply not a useful level of the power, although it is good for the RV bonus for radiation and gas. But not nearly enough for a visit to outer space or underwater!

And I see that with this post I am no longer a thug, but am a goon. I am not certain that is much of an upgrade! Laughing

deeyin

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Mon Mar 18 2013, 01:27

Kyoko
Body
4 (5)
Mind
4 (5)
Spirit
11 (9)
Hero Points

Power Reserve: 5 in Aura (making it an 8, 1 in Spirit (making it a 9)
Flight is an 8

Kyoko spent a couple of minutes trying to find the thread.

Ignoring the weather and steadying herself in the wind as best she could, Kyoko considered her next spell. Teleporting to her last location was... unrevealing. The same grey skies, rolling waves and no thread.

And then the thread came back. She could barely see it at the range she was at but flying over to it intensified the vision in her head. It had flickered back into life again. A trick? Or had something happened to the caster of the spell to disrupt the thread?

In any case, it was back. She was floating above the white capped waves and the thread ran arrow straight again.

But for how long?
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  deeyin Mon Mar 18 2013, 03:38

Kyoko was glad to have found the thread again, but realized that if it happened again, it might be totally lost. So, it was best to stay with it as long as she could. So, with that in mind, she decided she would have to forgo the teleporting for now, and would have to fly instead. Still, boosted as she was, she flew twice as fast as most jets, so while it would certainly be longer, it would be something she could do. So she tried to stay as close to it as she could, as she flew on in the direction it sent her. She still wondered if it would lead to Europe, or somewhere else.

deeyin

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Wed Mar 20 2013, 00:01

Kyoko
Body
4 (5)
Mind
4 (5)
Spirit
11 (9)
Hero Points

Flight is an 8

At around 400mph Kyoko realised that it would take time to cover several thousand miles, the breadth of the Atlantic.

She had no trouble breathing thanks to the spell she'd cast, and kept reasonably low over the waves to keep the thread in sight. After some minutes of flying in a straight direction it seemed the thread was stable again. Flight would take hours. That said, it seemed the best, safest way to track the thread...

Without means of getting her bearings Kyoko knew that she ran the risk of being completely lost if the thread vanished again. There were no markers out here. No landmarks, only rolling ocean, with grey sky meeting it. And rain. Plenty of rain.

OOC Carry on with flight, take a risk with teleporting or try something else? If kyoko had a compass she could accurately gauge the direction the thread is heading in, seeing as its so straight...
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  deeyin Wed Mar 20 2013, 02:27

Kyoko estimated she had gone perhaps 500 or 600 miles so far. It was quite a ways to have gone in minutes, but not nearly far enough. Flying from here would take her perhaps 8 hours or so she imagined. It was not impossible, but it seemed like it would turn dreary. But if it was the only option, it was the only option. Now though, the thread was stable again, and the opportunity to resume her speedier teleportation was again available. So, she would do so, although if the thread was again lost she would have to do what she had done before, return to her last position, try to find it again, and perhaps fly from that point.

(ooc)
There is no adjustment to her current sorcery or power reserve distribution.

Teleport is an 8, so she travels 15 APs every 4 seconds. It should only take a few minutes for her to reach Europe at that rate.

deeyin

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Fri Mar 22 2013, 07:17

Kyoko
Body
4 (5)
Mind
4 (5)
Spirit
11 (9)
Hero Points

Flight is an 8

Kyoko kept the thread in her sight and started to teleport...

This time with every jump she covered miles at a time. Miles of featureless rolling waves, without landmark or anything to navigate by.

The thread stayed constant this time though, and finally a land mass appeared in the distance. The thread appeared to vanish into solid rock - which wasn't a problem at first until the land rose higher than her ability to see.

OOC A geography/bearings check using Mental stats in lieu of any geography scholar ability :) Roll 2d10 → [7,1] = (8) Failure.

This time Kyoko had to pause. Where she could see, the land was green and lush but rose deeper than her ability to see the thread.

The NEW Vanguard! Kyoko Issue 1 "The Enemy of My Enemy..." Thread_path

Would Kyoko make adjustments or assume the thread lead to this place - wherever it was? By her reckoning she'd been travelling for around an hour and a quarter, give or take. That she'd crossed the Atlantic ocean was clear, but getting her bearings was beyond her at the moment.

OOC Unless you use more magic, fly around to ask someone, extend magic sense or some other means of finding out where you are/following the thread. It may even stop here, but you may encounter problems based on your choice :)
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  deeyin Fri Mar 22 2013, 14:56

The constancy was reassuring, and she settled into a pattern as she moved ahead time after time. Despite how it might be perceived, it was as natural as walking was to her, at least, now, since the change, and this was not even the longest period she had spent doing so; that would have been the trip from Japan to New York.

When land was finally spotten, she felt a rush of excitement and anxiety rise within herself. Was she at the destination, or close to it? She could not be certain. One thing she was not though was lost. She might not be aware of where she was, but if one didn't have a particular known location to be at, then you cannot be lost.

She wondered where she might be at. Ireland perhaps? When she had been researching faeries, she had read a bit about the island, and seemed to recall that it was bordered by very high walls sea walls. Very beautiful ones as well. And Ireland was said to be somewhat of a magical land, so it would make sense that enchantment might be located here. There were probably many ley lines crisscrossing this area.

She would teleport to the point in the wall where the thread ended, and hover there in flight, feeling the area, to see if there was any way in, such as a hidden entryway. If nothing was found, then she would end her sea protection spell, and dry herself off from the water that had undoubtedly splashed her with a minor spell. And then, she would attempt to pass through the rock itself to see if she could continue to follow the thread through the rock.

If this did not succeed, then she would have to try something else.

(ooc)
Kyoko ends the sealed systems.
She dries herself with a combination of flame projection (presumably with a limit or bonus that it causes heat not flame), and air control- essentially, creating a large blow dryer. ^_^

And then when dry, she ends those and uses her sorcery to try dispersal of 5APs to try to go through the rock.
(Dispersal 5APs, Magic Sense 3 APs)

deeyin

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Thu Mar 28 2013, 00:04

Kyoko
Body
4 (5)
Mind
4 (5)
Spirit
11 (9)
Hero Points

Sorcery: Dispersal 5, Magic Sense 3
Flight is an 8

OOC Thanks for being patient Smile

Drying off, Kyoko looked about on the clifftop of this wild wind blown place.

Stone ruins, ages old, could bee seen in the distance, but mostly it was a mixture of greens, browns and greys of moorland and a place mostly untouched by man.

Suddenly Kyokos' magic sense was set off, even as she made to press a hand into the cliff face whilst dispersed! She whirled, and saw a tiny man, no more than around a foot high, sat cross legged in mid air some twenty feet away!

He tipped his hat slightly. "Top a th' mornin' to ye lassie."

The NEW Vanguard! Kyoko Issue 1 "The Enemy of My Enemy..." Leprechaun

Even though he smiled Kyoko could sense the aggression and danger this man presented. "Though th' British like tae claim this part o MY island as their own, they are and will always be mistaken. That means I protect it, an'..." he paused to sniff "I don't like what ah'm smellin, namely magic, namely you." He whistled, a sharp loud sound, and there was a flash of light on the clifftop above! Three more strange people appeared to look down where Kyoko and the tiny man were hovering!

"I'm th' Leprechaun, funnily enough, and me friends here are:"

The NEW Vanguard! Kyoko Issue 1 "The Enemy of My Enemy..." Meteor_Mary
Meteor Mary
The NEW Vanguard! Kyoko Issue 1 "The Enemy of My Enemy..." Limestone
Limestone
The NEW Vanguard! Kyoko Issue 1 "The Enemy of My Enemy..." Green_Djinni
Green Djinni

"An' we're th' Gaelic Knights. Quickly now lassie, fer we're more than a little jumpy and cautious wi' strangers. Who are ye and what's yer business? An' no funny stuff mind. I can sense ye're power, but ye're nowt but a slip o'er a lass an' I'll bet a pint o the good stuff the Djinni is faster'n you..."
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  deeyin Thu Mar 28 2013, 02:52

Kyoko admired the scenery for a moment before returning to the task at hand. However, the triggering of her magic sense one again pulled her attention elsewhere, and she whirled about, wondering if she had reached what she had been seeking, or perhaps they had found her?

Seeing the small man, she almost giggled at his appearance and demeanor, tipping his hat. Of course, the underlying tone and meaning in his voice kept her from being too relaxed. “Good morning,” to him as well, although by now she imagined it had to be late afternoon at the earliest, given that she had passed through several time zones and had also spent time to arrive here. Still, it could have been simply a polite greeting, and not something for her to take literally.

When the others appeared she was intrigued at the djinni, and wondered if he was at all like her, or not. His appearance was markedly different, but the name at least suggested otherwise.

“I would have guessed Meteor Mary would have been the fastest. Pleased to meet you,” she said in reply. “I’m…” she hesitated and realized she never had come up with an alias to use in a situation like this, “Um, well, I haven’t really come up with a name yet. I was going to say Jinni, but with you here,” indicating Green Djinni, “It sounds less than original.”

She looked back at the wall she had been examining, and said, “As for what I’m here for, I was following a thread, a magic one, due to a vision I saw of trouble. It lead me here, and,” she touched the wall, “through this way.”

She turned back to look at them and said, “Did none of you sense such a thing or have such a vision or premonition?”

(ooc)
I am patient, although I always have to smile when I see you go to bed and I am the name at the bottom of the page! *L*

deeyin

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Sat Mar 30 2013, 00:44

Kyoko
Body
4 (5)
Mind
4 (5)
Spirit
11 (9)
Hero Points

Flight is an 8

OOC Purely pot luck with the posting thing - I generally have to post at the end of the day (it's 00.30 now) and I get through as many posts as I can, though I'll admit this week hasn't been as productive as I'd have liked Neutral

"Oh I seen th' thread darlin" said the Leprechaun, sizing Kyoko up. "little witch" he added, chuckling.

Meteor Mary spoke up. "Lep! Stop messin' about! We don't know her. She's admitted ta bein' summoned."

'Lep', short for Leprechaun, turned and smiled, then tutted theatrically. "Summoned? Maybe. We stopped two already. Who knows how many more followed th' threads? This one has more about her than th' other two."

Green Djinni spoke up, his voice sounding as if from a cavern that echoed. "Best to be sure."

The huge rock creature didn't speak, but Kyoko could sense the creatures sheer power. Was it man, monster or something in between?

Leprechaun spoke up again. "Tell me missy. Ye've come a long way ah'm guessin, fer there's nought but see in that way which th' thread points. You come ta aid th' sender o that message? Or ta stop 'im? Careful on how ye answer now, for ah'll know if ye're lyin' to me..."
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  deeyin Sat Mar 30 2013, 02:34

Kyoko listened to their discussion back and forth, trying to piece it together what she had already known, and what they might have known. So others had come as well and were turned back. That could suggest a few things. But it made a stronger case that these were good individuals. If they were not, they would not have turned others away. Just because someone is bad does not mean they are friends with other bad things. The summoning alone showed that. So, they would not want this greater evil to take something they wanted, if they were bad. And Leprechaun had described them as protectors of what she was almost certain now was Ireland. So, she should for the moment assume they were not sinister-minded.

So since for now she felt she should trust them, when she was asked the question, she answered truthfully. “I don’t know yet. If what he said was true, and there is a greater evil out there intent on tapping his power and using it to hurt anyone, then I have to help him. But given he described himself as an evil individual himself, I have to try to do so while doing all I can to ensure he does not use that help to advance his own agenda or take advantage of their weakness to cause the same trouble.”

(ooc)
Oh, I completely understand! And I do not mean to suggest I am being singled out and I certainly am not entitled, so I hope I did not come off that way. It was just funny when it happened to work out that way a few times. Smile

I do hope your week has relaxed some, as it sounds as if you were quite busy! But go and get some sleep if you have not already. It is healthier and helps to maintain a good weight.

deeyin

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Tue Apr 02 2013, 01:49

Kyoko
Body
4 (5)
Mind
4 (5)
Spirit
11 (9)
Hero Points

Flight is an 8

"By ye're own admission ye're helpin' evil out. An' despite havin' th' most noble o intentions, I reckon ye'll come a cropper if ye don't turn round and go back th' way ye came lassie!" said Leprechaun.

Green Djinni spoke up "With that in mind I would - respectfully - ask you to stand down. Regardless of your intentions we cannot in good conscience allow you to continue on your path to what will be, we think, a trap. We were made known of the existence of the threads emanating from a place near Edinburgh earlier today and the people we have stopped from following the same path you are following are currently incarcerated for their own protection, though one was a known and wanted man. The other? Misguided but insistent."

"We insist more insistently!" laughed Leprechaun, without humour...

Mary Meteor stepped up "What;s it to be?" the energy aura around her glowed, as if she were ready to make a move!

The huge rock man merely popped his knuckles, which sound like rocks shattering!
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 6 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next