The Vanguard Play by Post Roleplaying Game
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

City of Heroes is back and it is free

2 posters

Go down

City of Heroes is back and it is free Empty City of Heroes is back and it is free

Post  DavidMcMahon Tue Apr 30 2019, 15:48

I don't know if you guys across the Pond can access this or not but a bunch of fans have released the greatest superhero MMORPG, City of Heroes, on some private servers.

On YouYube, look for The Positive Gamer's site: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCwzUS4rahi8gWftw7ZUQK9A
Look for his short video How to Play City of Heroes in 2019: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mrs_B6WRRJM

It explains how you can download the game and play it. These are private servers that fans are running for free. So sometimes all four of the current servers are filled up and a long waiting list is there. They can each hold about 3000 players and their waiting cue sometimes is close to 2000! And NCSoft felt the game wasn't popular enough when they shut it down in 2012! HAH!

I'm spending a lot of free time there. And their character creation system is the best. So even if you don't want to play, getting in and making character designs is still a great fun time to be had.
DavidMcMahon
DavidMcMahon
Cosmic Level

Back to top Go down

City of Heroes is back and it is free Empty Re: City of Heroes is back and it is free

Post  Admin Wed May 01 2019, 21:26

I remember the game. I think we joined up once or twice as well. I liked the character creation process, but as usual with this sort of thing (MMORPGs, and Computer RPGs in general) it's a time hog and there is an element of grind. Amazing that fans brought it back though. Didn't NCSoft abandon CoH to do DC Universe online or Champions Online? I thought that was why CoH died...?

Admin
Admin

https://darkeningshadows.darkbb.com

Back to top Go down

City of Heroes is back and it is free Empty Re: City of Heroes is back and it is free

Post  DavidMcMahon Thu May 02 2019, 14:55

They weren't involved with those two. There was a push to do a City of Heroes 2 and update things but they pulled the plug on the game. I did find out that the private servers are being hosted in Amsterdam so I am thinking you guys can get into the game as well. It can be a time hog and it can be a quick fifteen minute game as well. Don't have a lot of time, go circle the city and beat up wandering thugs. Teach them all about upholding the LAW! pirat
DavidMcMahon
DavidMcMahon
Cosmic Level

Back to top Go down

Post  DavidMcMahon Wed May 15 2019, 14:07

I'm mostly on the Halcyon server as it is the least used out of the five now up.
DavidMcMahon
DavidMcMahon
Cosmic Level

Back to top Go down

Post  DavidMcMahon Tue May 21 2019, 13:45

They renamed Halcyon as Reunion, the EU server. It's the least busy so that's where I am currently at. Mainly playing The Fighting Yank if you get online and look for me. He's an old 40s character from Nedor Publishing. He appeared in Startling Comics and Fighting Yank comics. Those his powers are different for the game.

No stretching powers so no Haunt ... yet. I can make one using rifles or two guns. May get around to doing that someday.
DavidMcMahon
DavidMcMahon
Cosmic Level

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Thu May 23 2019, 16:40

I did try to install it but ran into bother. The installer basically didn't do anything. Got a link to a working one?

Admin
Admin

https://darkeningshadows.darkbb.com

Back to top Go down

Post  DavidMcMahon Thu May 23 2019, 21:31

I had a similar problem with my internet protection saying it wasn't safe to download Tequila. I had to disable it to get it to download and then re-enable it and scan what I downloaded to get it to work and make sure that there was no virus attached to it.

There is also a Discord site where they are all hooked into.

https://discord.gg/CZpCsYh

Try this link, that will hopefully lead you to the COH Discord sight that can help with loading Tequila to your computer.
DavidMcMahon
DavidMcMahon
Cosmic Level

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down