The Vanguard Play by Post Roleplaying Game
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

We're Back!

3 posters

Go down

We're Back! Empty Re: We're Back!

Post  Limerickcot Thu Sep 02 2010, 21:04

Finally!

In the end the wireless thing was useless - five feet away and it just gives 'low' or 'extremely low' connectivity. I managed to get a Lan lead long enough but ended up moving furniture hither and yon.

Connect up - internet connection vanished. No idea why, just spent two hours trying everything - and then it came back. What was more scarey was that my firewalls and antivirus just deactivated as well and wouldn't come on at all until the internet connection came back on. I was thinking a total pc crash there or something had invaded the system.

Whatever.

Now up and hopefully it will stay stable.

Limerickcot
Street Level: Hero

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Wed Aug 25 2010, 12:42

Limerickcot wrote:IT have juggled something around so I have some access here - I think it depends on how many times the word G?ME is in a website or something.

Anyway, The BT engineer appeared - took him two hours to reconnect me (I had two BT wires, two Cables wires and a sky, all coming in at the same place). He was up the telephone pole for a half hour in the driving rain, poor guy.

So then I plug in and...Nothing!

If I plug in the router down in the study the phones half dead and I need another dongle to use it wirelessly. So looks like a trip to Leeds tomorrow to get this sorted. Mind you, that should then save me (in a few months time anyway) £15.00 - £20.00 per month for phone, broadband and telly.

Hell, I don't even have a connect tv at the moment since mine went the way of the Dodo. I also need to buy a new remote for the replacement. At least I can watch my DVD's - Zoom: Acdemy for Superheroes.

Sounds like you have adsl, or whatever they call it these days. I considered the 'up to 20mb' options before sticking with Virgin cable. I remember being conned last time when I signed up for up to 8mb and I got 600k. What a joke. Had to stay signed up for 12 months, I must have used it for all of a week before getting back with Virgin Media (even then I was still annoyed at them, I wanted to drop everything with them as the tv kept conking out every weekend without explanation and they didn't give a stuff. They offered to 'make it cheaper' but then my reply of 'then it will be cheap crap' kind of told them where I was at).

Considering going back to Virgin and upping the line to 50mb, but not sure I'd get the use out of it. It's nice to download updates and *cough* the odd tv show (*splutter*) but there's no way I'd max it out. 20mb was nice though, I do miss that (am on the bare minimum 10mb, and even then I insisted they give it at a discount or I was off...)

Anyway, see when you can get back in. Stormwarden and Lionheart are in an 'easy place' right now reassembling Stonehenge, but they are soon to be caught between a ... uh... rock (pardon the pun) and a hard place. That's waiting for you, so I'm sure you're rushing to get back in it Laughing

Cheers, Paul
Admin
Admin
Admin

https://darkeningshadows.darkbb.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Limerickcot Wed Aug 25 2010, 12:25

IT have juggled something around so I have some access here - I think it depends on how many times the word G?ME is in a website or something.

Anyway, The BT engineer appeared - took him two hours to reconnect me (I had two BT wires, two Cables wires and a sky, all coming in at the same place). He was up the telephone pole for a half hour in the driving rain, poor guy.

So then I plug in and...Nothing!

If I plug in the router down in the study the phones half dead and I need another dongle to use it wirelessly. So looks like a trip to Leeds tomorrow to get this sorted. Mind you, that should then save me (in a few months time anyway) £15.00 - £20.00 per month for phone, broadband and telly.

Hell, I don't even have a connect tv at the moment since mine went the way of the Dodo. I also need to buy a new remote for the replacement. At least I can watch my DVD's - Zoom: Acdemy for Superheroes.

Limerickcot

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Wed Aug 25 2010, 11:02

Limerickcot wrote:Thank god someone sent a message! I've been having to use the net at my mum&dads when I visit (once a week) and no access to my address book (I don't have anyone in the works one either since they revamped that system).

Sometime in the next week (24 hrs if you belive the blurb) I will have a new internet connection through talk-talk (I hope, anyway).

Sorry about the silence but my holiday to London turned into a bit of a nightmare and I was pretty crook until last week - at which point I went and twisted one leg and dropped a crowbar on the opposite ankle. I wasn't so much limping as literally dragging my leg behind me. Added to very little abiltiy to hit the web (nothing game related allowed through its filter), I was stuck.

As soon as I do get access back, I'm going to try and get a full listing of folks addys onto some kind of secure backup.

Whilst I was away on Holiday I signed up to a month by month internet connection with PC World/3 Mobile. They basically missold it at PC World - should have insisted on seeing the small print, so I was quite wound up and used it on hols, got back, rung to cancel straight away. To convince me to stay they dropped the price/month to £7.50, a 50% reduction, so it's well worth a try. For that you get a dongle and 5gb of data usage. I use it for the laptops and am thinking of getting a netbook for those slow rubbish night shifts sat in sidings when I can't sleep.

Speaking of which, on nights tonight so posting will be a bit flakey over next 48 hrs, then again on sat night/sun morning. Ballast job. Nnnngh. Might see about a netbook before then...
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Sun Aug 22 2010, 23:26

*clunk* (sound of my jaw hitting floor)

First of all, good to hear from you guys. In the last couple of days I've been close to bashing my head against a wall in frustration having contracted a computer virus from another comp across my home network - cue loads of downtime etc, so I've been struggling.

Harry - long story. Basically since you'd not posted in like, forever, Darkshadow was 'written out' - but can be written back in (he wasn't just killed off, more made a heroic mysterious sacrifice whilst taking out the evil Nazi version of Majestic, a very powerful superhuman). Let me know if you're up for joining back in, or feel free to start another character, or I can keep Darkshadow on hold until you're ready, whatever works.

Kendal - Stormwarden and Lionheart have attacked a Nazi camp on the site of Stonehenge. They flattened Lionhearts enemy, Saladin, who escaped, and the magic wielding Nazi who was with him, and the camp guards (there wasn't much rolling needed - Lionheart and Stormwarden can steamroller normal Nazi soldiers). Now their problem is, they need to reconstruct Stonehenge to create a gate to travel back in time through. The White Warlock is still in the prison camp scheduled for execution, Frostbite and Putty went to London, spoke to the still frozen Queen Victoria (as per the Queen Victoria and Holy Grail module) and have journeyed to North Wales to the Isle of Bardsey, said to be the mystic isle of Avalon, and resting place of Morgana Le Fay, who may well have the Grail.

Nowhere Man is near Newport at the site of where he believes Camelot might have been, in order to find some clue as to where Excalibur was hidden. The magic items (either the Grail, or the Sword) are needed to power the spell the Warlock needs to open a magic gate at Stonehenge and send you all back in time to 1941 in order to stop the Nazis winning World War II, and therefore set time straight again.

We just started Issue #4, there's a mini update in that too, and feel free to join in as the Nazis have finally figured out where the Vanguard are. They have rooms full of psychics and mystics scanning the UK, and they can't scan a few places - they simply appear as 'bubbles' of inpenetrable force to them - that would be the Vanguard, as they have hidden mystical powers too powerful to penetrate. They finally figured that out and so are setting out to investigate the bubbles. Very soon the Vanguard will have trouble - and lots of it!

Anyway, hope you're both well, I know everyone has had issues of one kind or another. Just to let you know I'll always be here for when you can come back, real life permitting, so don't worry about anyones character being killed off - these are the comic books, so death is but a retcon away Smile

Cheers, Paul (just finished work, so probably no update tonight but will take a look and see what's what, and maybe post anyway. Sleep is overrated anyway Smile )
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Limerickcot Sun Aug 22 2010, 21:31

Thank god someone sent a message! I've been having to use the net at my mum&dads when I visit (once a week) and no access to my address book (I don't have anyone in the works one either since they revamped that system).

Sometime in the next week (24 hrs if you belive the blurb) I will have a new internet connection through talk-talk (I hope, anyway).

Sorry about the silence but my holiday to London turned into a bit of a nightmare and I was pretty crook until last week - at which point I went and twisted one leg and dropped a crowbar on the opposite ankle. I wasn't so much limping as literally dragging my leg behind me. Added to very little abiltiy to hit the web (nothing game related allowed through its filter), I was stuck.

As soon as I do get access back, I'm going to try and get a full listing of folks addys onto some kind of secure backup.

Limerickcot

Back to top Go down

We're Back! Empty bloodyhell

Post  darkshadow Sun Aug 22 2010, 19:16

finally back, lost contact when the old site dropped,

Sorry about this, whats happening ???

darkshadow
Street Level: Thug
Street Level: Thug

Back to top Go down

We're Back! Empty Please be patient!

Post  Admin Wed Apr 28 2010, 01:02

Things will be a little slow/quiet until we get up and running again, but rest be assured I have no intention of going anywhere and there's plenty going on behind the scenes! In the meanwhile, feel free to get acquainted/play about with the forum and if you find a way to put a dice roller on or have any suggestions to add stuff, feel free to let me know and we can sort something out...
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

We're Back! Empty We're Back!

Post  Admin Wed Apr 28 2010, 00:04

The new home of the Vanguard, Britains first, last and only defence against extra dimensional entities!

The game uses the Squadron UK rules set (formerly known as Golden Heroes published in the early eighties by Games Workshop) and started life on www.Endlessflight.net until the forum disappeared on 27/4/10 without warning. We may have lost quite a chunk of play but the current campaign can be seen as a 'fresh start' anyway...

Where we're at... Secret Powers have combined to somehow open a portal in time and send their agents through. These agents have gone back to World War II and turned the course of history! Suddenly the Vanguard - Frostbite (Joe Rigdon), Stormwarden (Guy Saint Ives) and Darkshadow (Jason Ashe) find themselves in a Britain enslaved under Nazi rule! Only the powers within them, supplied by mysterious godlike entities, prevents them from being changed forever with the flow of time! Now the Vanguard must find a way to restore time as it was, whilst trying to stay alive!
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum