The Vanguard Play by Post Roleplaying Game
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The New Vanguard! Frostbite Issue #7 - Cold and Afraid!

2 posters

Page 6 of 8 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Go down

The New Vanguard! Frostbite Issue #7 - Cold and Afraid! - Page 6 Empty Re: The New Vanguard! Frostbite Issue #7 - Cold and Afraid!

Post  Admin Sat Apr 28 2018, 04:56

OOC LIONHEART 200HP

Original two dice Roll(2d10)+0: 8,9,+0 Total:17
Roll(6d10)+0: 9,9,10,10,1,8,+0 Total:20

Good start!

Follow up...
Roll(2d10)+0: 7,9,+0 Total:36 + Dex 7+ Raps (7)(50) vs TN11 + OV15 (26). +7 EV
Dex 7 + 7EV (14) vs 15RV... FAIL!!!

It was working! The plan seemed impossible, even for the gathered heroes!

Everyone on board was thrown back as the ship shot forward, clinging to the curvature of the planet before it blasted forward and skimmed mountain tops and from there aimed for the sky above...

That started to darken, then blacken... The twinkling lights of distant stars came into view. Other silvery dots - Empire ships - came into view.

The engines continued to roar... two dots came into view ahead. On the left, much smaller, on the right... even from here it looked MASSIVE!

They grew in the viewscreen, and the improbable seemed to be working as the ship gathered speed...

Just then Wandafar frowned. "Ach! Give me zet console..." The lights on the ship flickered... then the engines died! "Fuel out!" shouted Jarna. Frostbite watched the screen as the two ships started to fill it... What was Wandafar on abou...

"Ve are going to miss ze big ship. Not by much, but ve are going so fast viz no vay to turn und something changed. Some... Variable. Ve hef seconds before we pass by und end up in outer space!" stated Wandafar!

The New Vanguard! Frostbite Issue #7 - Cold and Afraid! - Page 6 Tables_draft_v2_higher_resThe New Vanguard! Frostbite Issue #7 - Cold and Afraid! - Page 6 Combat-Maneuver-stuff
Admin
Admin
Admin

https://darkeningshadows.darkbb.com

Back to top Go down

The New Vanguard! Frostbite Issue #7 - Cold and Afraid! - Page 6 Empty Re: The New Vanguard! Frostbite Issue #7 - Cold and Afraid!

Post  Steeple_jackuk Sat Apr 28 2018, 13:06

Admin wrote:"Ve are going to miss ze big ship. Not by much, but ve are going so fast viz no vay to turn und something changed. Some... Variable. Ve hef seconds before we pass by und end up in outer space!" stated Wandafar!

Moving quickly Frostbite headed toward the door, he didn't know if what he had in mind could work but he saw no other choice.

"keep coms open, direct me as you will. Lionheart, I hope you've still got your mind powers to grab hold because we are going to need it."

With that said, Frostbite took oxygen not knowing if he could survive for long, he knew that the full extent of his powers remained untested in some places. His ability to withstand the cold being one, but also being able to hold and withhold in the airless vacuum of space, was going to be a challenge even for him. As he moved to the airlock, he iced up space about him, as he super hardened his body. And then went out the airlock, ignoring the protestations of those inside.

OOC:Ok as I understand it I should be able to withstand the cold and don't really need oxygen for a while. That in mind my aim is to get to that side of the ship where I can use my flight powers to 'attempt' to steer the ship back on course. Hence the com's comment. I will then have Lionheart 'reach out' telekinetically when in range to grab ahold of the ship and pull us in. Hoping that as we are coming in fast and what not we'll not be noticed, engine failure or some such. I will pour in as much HP as needed to make this work - so 100 or 200 etc, as much as is needed to buy requisite dice to make this unlikely to fail.

Have to say its a long time since, despite the HP spent, I've seen a 'faux paux' like this one! That got me scrabbling around for what to do.

Sj
Steeple_jackuk
Steeple_jackuk
Cosmic Level

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Wed May 02 2018, 08:42

"Wait! WAIT!" shouted Wandafar.

Lionheart and Frostbite, along with everyone else, turned. "Zis is MY fault. Your piloting was not at fault! I hef not calculated... Ze target ship changed course dramatically... Ve can still..."

He turns to Jarna "Are ze landing struts able to be made magnetic?"

"Well, yes but..." replied Jarna

"Transmit to zem ve are transporting urgent information for Commander eyes only! Make it convincing! Ve need zem to lower shields!" shouted Wandafar, moving to a console. Suddenly alarms blared through the ship!

Rarhghan was the first to ask "What are you doing, diminutive one?"

Wandafar glanced at the Lion man, then at Frostbite. "I hef messed up. I vill fix ziss, but... everyone needs to be in space suits..."

Lionheart grasped it immediately, looking at the screen and the enlarging ship in it. There was no power left in the ship to alter direction, so Wandafar intended to 'blow the hatches' to alter course! That would leave the ship empty of air and potentially kill all the occupants! Wandafar stepped up to Frostbite "Lionheart vill not hef ze range to even try to grap ze other vessel, nor ze strength to hold zis vun. Before? Yes. Now?" he looked at Lionheart and the hero knew Wandafar was right.

To stop a speeding spacecraft with his current abilities would require him to hold back a vessel weighting hundreds of tons travelling at hundreds of thousands of miles an hour! Even if he managed it, he'd possibly be torn from the ship as the metal gave way!

Wandafar turned to Frostbite again "I just need to slem ze button at ze right moment. He is best for zet. Other option is escape pods, but we may not hef time..."

OOC Options then:

1) Go for the initial Frostbite/Lionheart plan to 'grab' the passing ship
2) Try for Wandafars 'blow the hatches' plan
3) Use the lifepods and hope some of them get near enough to the big ship to get some of you aboard

Bear in mind that the ships are passing each other at hundreds of thousands of miles an hour - up close they'll be gone by in a flash!

The New Vanguard! Frostbite Issue #7 - Cold and Afraid! - Page 6 Tables_draft_v2_higher_resThe New Vanguard! Frostbite Issue #7 - Cold and Afraid! - Page 6 Combat-Maneuver-stuff
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Steeple_jackuk Fri May 11 2018, 20:24

Admin wrote:OOC Options then:

1) Go for the initial Frostbite/Lionheart plan to 'grab' the passing ship
2) Try for Wandafars 'blow the hatches' plan
3) Use the life pods and hope some of them get near enough to the big ship to get some of you aboard

Bear in mind that the ships are passing each other at hundreds of thousands of miles an hour - up close they'll be gone by in a flash!

Frostbite looked to Lionheart momentarily unsure as to what of the many possible ways either plan could fail, was better.

"Well if this fails, I guess we've now got a plan B, going with my original idea. So much for a stealthy covert entry. I think this is going to be hard to get away with, but if the empire is interested in Super Powered individuals no doubt they'd be reluctant to blow us up. But who knows? Anyway back to the present, Wandafar, it's up to you. Lionheart, get suits for all who need 'em, and see if you can sort out something for our prisoners."

Not for the first time since the crazy notion of this slingshot idea entered the team's heads, Frostbite wondered where this crazy ride was going to land? And if any of them would walk away intact.

Sj
Steeple_jackuk
Steeple_jackuk
Cosmic Level

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Sun May 13 2018, 20:50

Wandafar actually had sweat on his forehead inside the helmet. The suit was lashed to him in a makeshift manner, courtesy of ties and wraps to house his diminutive frame.

"Hurry up!" he yelled as those behind him suited up.

His fingers danced over the keyboards and his eyes glanced at screens every couple of heartbeats. "Ze time is coming up Lionheart... ready to press ze big red button...NOW!"

OOC Wandafar tries his best to get his numbers right this time. They were right last time, but could have been 'more right' (better result) to increase Lionhearts chances from 'Impossible' to 'just about doable' which the roll would have easily covered.

He buys 3 extra dice. Roll(5d10)+0: 8,7,10,5,2,+0 Total:18 + Int 14 (32) vs TN11 + OV13 (24). +4 Effect (18) vs RV 13= 5 RAPs.

Lionheart slams the button down to blow the hatches on one side of the ship... His piloting had gotten them to this point where they had a slim chance to hit the target. Wandafar had done his sums, but something... a change of course, gravitational field, even bad luck, had caused them to set on a course that would take them past the huge ship!

The roaring of air as it pumped into the vacuum of space caused the crew to grit teeth and hang on for dear life as the ship immediately twisted, spinning and spiralling down slightly...

Wandafar, through gritted teeth, shouted "P..p...prepare f..f.f..for Im... Pact!"

Too late the big ship realised that the oncoming vessel would not respond to hails and automated guns sprung into life, turning to aim at the spinning projectile!
The New Vanguard! Frostbite Issue #7 - Cold and Afraid! - Page 6 Thoom

Frostbite looked up. He'd used his power to create a series of ice columns to hold the bridge together. They were shattered and the bridge itself had mostly been crushed. There wasn't much in the way of light and a few small fires sputtered. A groan of metal run out and Frosty turned to see Lionheart holding aside a fallen I beam and looked about. Jarna, Rarghan, Wandafar, Frostbite and Lionheart were all alive!

And the ship, whilst it had been pretty much destroyed, had punctured a layer of the much bigger ship!

Jarna squeezed through a small gap in the metal and fell through a hole with a yelp! "Guys!" she called. "We're in the armour superstructure! There's no atmosphere here! We need to get in the ship while we still can because this place will be crawling with War Cyborgs in moments!"

Wandafar grunted, struggling with the gap until Frostbite and Lionheart pulled the metal apart and allowed the much bigger Cat Man to free himself too.

Within moments the group, despite being somewhat dazed, were stood in a huge cavernous area between the main structure of the ship and the outer armoured skin. It acted like a buffer zone of sorts between weapons and the crew inside. Thousands of crossed beams held the armour skin out. The crashing ship had barely pierced it!

Wandafar spoke up "Engineering. Or the bridge. One or ze other. Shut ze ship down or take over it."

Jarna laughed "You'll have to fight through a hundred deep wall of Cyborgs to get the bridge!"

Rarghan snarled "Your friend will not last long if this behemoth gets to her."

Stay together or split the team? Head for the bridge, engineering or somewhere else?

Somewhere a loud clanking sound rang out. Jarna gasped "They are on their way!"

Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Steeple_jackuk Tue May 15 2018, 18:16

Admin wrote:Jarna laughed "You'll have to fight through a hundred deep wall of Cyborgs to get the bridge!"

Rarghan snarled "Your friend will not last long if this behemoth gets to her."

Stay together or split the team? Head for the bridge, engineering or somewhere else?

Somewhere a loud clanking sound rang out. Jarna gasped "They are on their way!"

Frostbite looked and Lionheart who could read on his friends face what he was asking even before he said it.

"Jarna you, Rarghan and your tribe go with Wandafar to Engineering and Lionheart. We are going to split up and try and do both since one without the other will be a standoff. I am willing to bet the madman behind this would eject his whole crew to get us to comply if we just took over engineering, shutting down life support or destroying the ship from within. I just don't think we can take the ship without taking both. With Frostbot's help, I think we can get to the bridge, although I don't doubt it will be hard. Since I can be more flexible when it comes to moving about or even through structures it makes more sense I go for the bridge. In any case, if I fail then Engineering it is, one way or another."

With a short nod to them all, knowing the incredible sacrifices and risks they'd all taken getting this far, Frostbite reunited with his AI companion. His chest plate glowing suddenly bright before become more subdued and took off flying up through the superstructure, whilst Lionheart lead the way with the others to Engineering.

OOC: OK I figure that Frostbites abilities to phase through things - hopefully together with his more fluid form, will mean a diversity of movement that might get him to slip by, whilst the big guns make a lot of noise and head for Engineering. Its a risk, but what isn't?

Sj

Steeple_jackuk
Steeple_jackuk
Cosmic Level

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Tue May 15 2018, 19:26

FROSTBITE
(Adrenaline surge still down... Check about a page ago)

Immediately Frostbite ran into problems... his ability to 'push' his powers to their highest level was effectively still down according to Frostbites' report on his physical and mental well being! That effectively mean't that he could no more pass through solid objects than the others could, and his energy blast was nowhere like at it's peak!

Still, he had other options.

'Access the computer panel on the wall' said Frostbot.

With a hand placed on it Frostbite nearly jumped out of his skin as an access panel swished open, one he'd not be able to tell from any other! With a peak inside he saw conduits, pipes, cables and other vital system feeds running through the gap in between the ships inner and outer skin. Slipping inside, he knew the going would not be fast, but with Frostbots' help he might be able to figure his way out of this, powered down or not!

=========

LIONHEART considered his options.

Wandafar, genius former superhero, Jarna, former Empire pilot, Rarghan, Cat Man leader of a native tribe of warriors, and a dozen or so of his remaining warriors who'd survived the crash. Others had died or were too injured - despite their protestations - to continue.

He knew War Cyborgs were on their way. in ones or twos he could handle them, he was sure, but in the numbers that could gather aboard this humongous ship? First things first...

He went to where Wandafar and Jarna were struggling with an access hatch wheel and easily spun it around where the two of them had struggled.

Slipping through the hatch, he waited for the others to follow as he shimmied down a 10 foot tunnel, opened another hatch at the bottom and dropped into a corridor. Unfortunately an alarm was blaring suggesting it had gone off when the access hatch had been opened, but chances were the crew were already racing to repel boarders from the ship that had just smashed into theirs!

When everyone was safely in the corridor he sealed the hatch again and turned to Wandafar.

"Engineering. If zis ship is anything like I expect, vud be zis vay." said Wandafar, starting to walk.

"No! This way!" shouted Jarna, running the opposite direction!

With a shrug Lionheart and the Cat people followed leaving Wandafar to frown and hurry to catch up on diminutive legs!

=========

Frostbite was making reasonable progress.

He'd emerged into a large chamber that Frostbot stated was a junction of sorts, where many ships systems criss crossed and went into another part of the ship to feed it, so to speak. Some of them were huge, and pusled with... something inside them. Of course, a ship of this magnitude with the crew compliment would need feeding and ...

"Sight seeing?" said a voice that echoed over the pulsing noise and hum of the machinery all around.

Frostbite whirled to see...

The New Vanguard! Frostbite Issue #7 - Cold and Afraid! - Page 6 Saladin

"Amazing technology isn't it? Though I, and Agent King, though you know him as Lionheart, come from the future we never had anything on this scale. I have a number of theories about how such a... 'microverse' came to exist, but I'll not bore you with them." said Saladin. "Instead, let me tell you a tale of a boy who was a hero, who grew to be a man disappointed with his own life and the disdain he received from his peers. His 'fantastical toy robot army' naught but a laughing stock to many, and in death he was mourned by few, remembered by even fewer. Until he resurrected, with power to..."

Another voice cut in over a loudhailer. Male, probably belonging to the middle aged Timmy Jones, former teenage superhero now turned would be megalomaniac!

"Yes yes, stop messing about Saladin and beat the stuffing out of him! The latest batch is ready and this one will make a fine addition! He's been making a name for himself in this... what... how dare you interrupt me... eh? The others have what...? Why didn't you tell me?" Timmys voice squawked off.

"Amateurs. I work with amateurs." sneered Saladin. "But he's right about one thing. Shall we dance?"

=========

Lionheart and the others followed Jarna until his early warning danger sense gave him pause. They were in a corridor looking about. No one around.

So where was the danger?

Only Lionheart had the reactions to dive forward as a shimmering forcefield hummed into place in the corridor and trapped the others in a section! he was about to assess it'a power when a hatch swished open and five black clad individuals stepped out, flanked by four War Cyborgs! He didn't know them personally, but he suspected from the looks of them they were not from round here, and that in fact they may be the missing members of Frostbites team!

All wore helmets and had a slightly blank expression on their faces, and when one spoke, all of them mouthed the words at the same time!

"THIS SHIP IS A TECHNOLOGICAL MARVEL! WHEN I FIGURE OUT HOW TO APPLY THE GROWTH PROCESS IMAGINE THE SURPRISE WHEN IT APPEARS ABOVE LONDON! I'LL MAKE THEM PAY FOR MOCKING ME! AND EVERY SUPERHUMAN WHO I ENCOUNTER SHALL GO INTO THE VATS FOR CLONING! THE PROCESS IS IMPERFECT FOR NOW BUT I DON'T NEED IT TO BE TO TAKE YOU DOWN, HERO WANNABE!" shouted the five voices as one.

Wandafar quipped "I bet a pack of hazelnut crunch creams zet is Timmy Jones."

"RIGHT IN ONE, WANDAFAR! YOU WERE A PROUD MEMBER OF THE EXECUTIVE, WERE YOU NOT? THEY NEVER CONSIDERED ME GOOD ENOUGH FOR THEIR RANKS! I'M NOT... I'M BETTER THAN THE EXECUTIVE, BETTER THAN ANYONE!" laughed the five. The War Cyborgs moved to interpose themselves between Lionheart and the group.

"BUT I SHALL GIVE YOU A SPORTING CHANCE TO SURRENDER. DO SO AND YOU WILL NOT BE HARMED!"

=========

OOC Frostbite vs Saladin and Lionheart vs Frostbites' team!

Remember Frostbite is down on power at the moment because his Adrenaline Surge burned out. That may mean he has to rethink about what options he uses. Adren Surge basically ups a bunch of his powers to 15APs, and without it they are a fair bit lower.

Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Steeple_jackuk Thu May 17 2018, 12:10

Admin wrote:FROSTBITE
(Adrenaline surge still down... Check about a page ago)

"Amateurs. I work with amateurs." sneered Saladin. "But he's right about one thing. Shall we dance?"

OOC Frostbite vs Saladin and Lionheart vs Frostbites' team!

Remember Frostbite is down on power at the moment because his Adrenaline Surge burned out. That may mean he has to rethink about what options he uses. Adren Surge basically ups a bunch of his powers to 15APs, and without it they are a fair bit lower.

=========

OOC: Oh Mumma!!!!

Frostbite nodded toward Saladin as if he was going to fight then simply offered up his hands in surrender. As he did so, he spoke within his mind to Frostbot, 'You might need to get out of this even if I win, and there is no telling what I will, your our best hope of getting to Timmy and getting past his computers or at least getting us out of whatever hole they put us in. I'll cover you by fighting this megalomaniac.'

"So the helmet - mind control? Not a good look for you Salli! I imagine this is quite the imposition for you, wouldn't you rather be with your friend where the two of you at least had a fighting chance of taking on this ship and taking Timmy to task. He sounds like the boy who never grew to accept himself. But you - I thought you were a better class of villain than to sully your hands like this?"

As Saladin listened in, Frostbite made ready to use his freezing powers to try and shift the advantage to him.

OOC:Ok shift to fluid form when Saladin comes at me, I know he may use mental powers, but I am hoping they might be diminished owing to either his captive or at least cloned or else I'm just guessing/hoping...

===

Lionheart meanwhile was aware that this didn't play well to his advantage, or did it. The confined space, filled with bodies was one in which he could at least seek to use the cloned/or mind controlled heroes to blast one another whilst he just did a merry jig around them. Well, at least until he either tired or got tagged. Time to employ the only power he felt never seemed to leave him, his verbal wit.

"Timmy, Timmy, did you learn a thing or two all this time studying the great master villains you now so happily seem to be apeing. I mean they had style panache, you. Its roll out the monkeys, say what I say and Bwahahahaha with the oh so cliched monologuing. You won't get me Lionheart" The hero quipped in a fair passing imitation of Timmy's voice, several octaves higher.

"Blah, blah, blah, You don't understand me. I'll make you pay. It'll be different when the world bows at my feet...yadda yadda yadda. A Multiverse at your feet and you've only enough intelligence to and imagination to go for the old tried and well-trodden, I didn't get enough cuddles as a baby routine. Well suck it up you big baby, its time to change your nappy and take you back for nap time!"

Lionheart was enjoying himself as the others waited for him to finish. He'd not remembered a time where he had gotten off, let alone relished the opportunity to mock so thoroughly spoilt and selfish individual who had so got lost in himself that he had totally seemed to lack any grasp of humanity. His plastic body had a plastic heart that clearly wasn't beating to anything save all the slights he'd let build up in his past that lead him here.

OOC:Ok for the time being I'll let them attack and use my dodge and speed skills to try and see if I can't get them to attack each other, miss a blow and hit a cyborg, wack a villain but seeking to conserve my efforts till I can make it count. We'll here's hoping any road up.

Sj
Steeple_jackuk
Steeple_jackuk
Cosmic Level

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Fri May 18 2018, 12:19

The New Vanguard! Frostbite Issue #7 - Cold and Afraid! - Page 6 Frostbite_logo

OOC Excellent Banter! Made me laugh! I've just had a look at the character sheet again. You have Energy Blast 14, regardless of adrenaline surge. That is your best attack AND it may be worth going for a Critical Blow, even though that would make it trickier to hit. Just a heads up.

Frostbite shifted to his 'Snow' form and needled his opponent...

Saladin smiled. "You have the same sarcastic streak as your friend. It will avail you nothing. However, I shall enjoy toying with you before I deliver the coup de grace. Entertain me, cold man." There was no warmth in the smile...

OOC Initiative...

2, Frostbite
3, Saladin

Saladin acts first (they have the same initiative score so it's purely dependent on the dice roll).

Saladin HP 100

"Tell me, little man... do you know how to scream?" he says, just loud enough to be heard over the hum and roar of the machines and pipes gurgling away around the pair...

Saladin HP 87

OOC Saladin spends 13HP on two extra dice. going for a CRITICAL BLOW with MIND BLAST 10. His Force Field (such as it is) and Mind Field are ACTIVE.

Roll(4d10)+0: 6,9,7,6,+0 Total:12 DOUBLE plus Roll(2d10)+0: 6,9,+0 Total:27 + Mind Blast 10 (37) vs TN11 + OV8 (19) + Crit Blow (23). +5 Effect. Mind Blast 15 vs RV 8 - 6 (Crit Blow) = 13 DAMAGE

To stay on his feet Frostbite MUST spend 28HP to absorb 7 damage and be on 1 MIND. Frostbite is STUNNED and cannot perform a dice action (i.e. Attack) this round but can move/perform a non combat action as required. Frostbite has (as far back as I can tell - all my records are kept on this site as far as book keeping because I was forever being caught without bits of paper when I updated in railway sidings...) HP28. In other words this will drop him to zero HP.

With searing pain burning through his mind, Frostbite reels and and realises that this man, this enemy of Lionhearts, is as fierce and cunning a foe as he's faced in this timeline! He was getting an idea of what he was up against should his good friend and sometime team mate ever go rogue - and this was the far, far LESS powerful version of himself!

He COULDN'T take another blast like that, but knew the effort had been a colossal one by Saladin to finish the fight in one fell swoop! His regenerative powers would have him back on his fete should he go down, but what could Saladin do to him in that time?

OOC That roll did for you. Chances were if not for the double it would have missed entirely, and the follow up roll of 15 was mighty effective. That said, it's not over yet! Energy Blast 14 is excellent at stopping people in their tracks but remember - this guy is, if anything, slightly quicker than Lionheart. He was bred to be a soldier, whilst Lionheart was made to be the peacekeeper...

Frostbot tried to speak in his companions mind, but the searing pain blocked most of it out! '...skrrzzzz... try...whizzzzooooooweeee...skrrzzz... lmet'

OOC Remember you cannot attack or make a dice action this turn (Stunned) but CAN move and perform a non move/attack action. This may get complex/messy so I will run both encounters in their own posts (in this thread).Over to you.

Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Steeple_jackuk Fri May 18 2018, 15:17

Admin wrote:The New Vanguard! Frostbite Issue #7 - Cold and Afraid! - Page 6 Frostbite_logo

OOC Remember you cannot attack or make a dice action this turn (Stunned) but CAN move and perform a non move/attack action. This may get complex/messy so I will run both encounters in their own posts (in this thread).Over to you.

OOC:Ok so I will make sure I adopt my fluid ice form and seek to move to a place where I can best take advantage of my recuperative regeneration power. If that means fleeing - so be it, clearly, Saladin imagines himself to have won and had me on the back ropes - nearly has, but he doesn't need to know that. And yes spend all HP, since that is the only way to remain on my feet after a blow like that. When next I can attack, equally go for critical attack with the energy blast.

"Wow, that almost tickled...well let's see if I can take advantage of some new tricks I've got up my sleeve."

It was an effort to mask the true extent of the brutal attacks devastating effect on Frostbite, but Frostbite was made of sterner stuff, himself trained as a soldier before ever he gained powers.

Sj
Steeple_jackuk
Steeple_jackuk
Cosmic Level

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Thu May 24 2018, 21:51

The New Vanguard! Frostbite Issue #7 - Cold and Afraid! - Page 6 Lh_logo

"I CANNOT FULLY CONTROL THEM, I'LL ADMIT." said the group. "BUT ENOUGH THAT THEIR POWERS ARE MINE TO WIELD!"

One of the group stepped forward and gestured at Lionheart...

OOC GRAVITAS attacks! Roll(2d10)+0: 1,10,+0 Total:11 +Gravity Increase 9 (20) vs Dex 7 + Power Reserve (avoidance) 7 + TN11 (25). MISS

Lionheart dances aside as the beam strikes the wall behind him, causing the metal to peel from the walls revealing framework behind as it's weight suddenly multiplies!

"YOU'RE FAST! I CAN'T WAIT TO TAKE CONTROL OF YOU! SALADIN THINKS ONLY HE CAN CONTROL HIS CLONES BUT I WILL FIND A WAY!" shouted the group.

One of the women burst into flames and moved forward, throwing a fireball at Lionheart!

OOC FIREBRAND - Roll(2d10)+0: 7,4,+0 Total:11 + Flame Project 9 (20 vs OV25. MISS

Again that splashed past Lionheart.  One of the group, a man, stepped forward, and did... nothing!

"THIS ONE NEEDS MUD FOR HIS POWERS TO WORK??? HOW USELESS ARE THIS LOT!?!?" the group said.

OOC TERRA FIRMA can take no action without a source of Earth

"ONE OF THESE IDIOTS HAS TO BE USEFUL!!" shouted the group

OOC IMPULSE tries his TIME STOP on LIONHEART. Needs an amazing roll... Roll(2d10)+0: 2,2,+0 Total:4 DOUBLE... BUT... Burns the power out!!!

"WHAT IN THE...? THEY HAVE POWERS BUT THEY ARE USELESS!" the group shouts.

The last one steps forward, gestures, and thrusts hands at Lionheart!

OOC REBUFF attacks Roll(2d10)+0: 4,5,+0 Total:9 + Repulsion 9 (18) vs OV25. MISS

WHAM! An invisible battering ram smashes a dent in another section of wall.

The group - as one - wrung their hands in frustration and shouted "WILL YOU STAND STILL AND DIE!!!"

Then they turned to the War Cyborgs gathered behind "WELL? DON'T JUST STAND THERE, TIN CANS! GET HIM!"

OOC Want to act or rely on Lionhearts agility to avoid all this first then act?

Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Steeple_jackuk Fri May 25 2018, 19:17

Admin wrote:The group - as one - wrung their hands in frustration and shouted, "WILL YOU STAND STILL AND DIE!!!"

Then they turned to the War Cyborgs gathered behind "WELL? DON'T JUST STAND THERE, TIN CANS! GET HIM!"

OOC Want to act or rely on Lionheart's agility to avoid all this first then act?

"Arh Timmy whimmy, don't cry. I'm sure one of your tin can despots will rend me limb from limb so you have something to throw to your terrified minions. Shame when the only way to be popular is to be the biggest bully ever there was. Not sure what is driving that plastic heart of yours but I hope it doesn't melt in the excitement. Mind you I kinda of like the smell of burning plastic, don't you?"

OOC: Lionheart will dodge around hoping that the Warborgs can manage to start knocking about the teammates, perhaps giving them a means to snap out of things and start fighting back the control they've been put under. Once that is done, its time to take them down, whilst leaving me room to keep moving - the one thing I cannot afford to do is to leave myself without the opportunity to keep dodging.

Sj
Steeple_jackuk
Steeple_jackuk
Cosmic Level

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Wed May 30 2018, 09:40

Lionheart sped about, using his speed and incredible reflexes to prevent the War Cyborgs from 'drawing a bead' on him.

Essentially, he was 'inviting' them to attack not only himself but Timmys 'minions', all the while taunting the former hero and annoying him more by the moment!

A cyborg would level an arm, flip several attachments on their arm, take aim and... Lionheart wasn't there any more. Instead, he was stood behind, to the side or elsewhere and requiring the aim to be adjusted.

OOC Good tactic. Effectively, only two Cyborgs can take a shot without hitting the other guys...

He could use Acrobatics to dodge but needs a FULL ROUND to upload the program to change from the current (Martial Artist).

Sonic Beam 12 + Roll(2d10)+0: 7,10,+0 Total:17 (29) vs TN11 + OV14 (25). Sonic Beam 12+3 vs RV9 = 6 damage

Sonic Beam 12 + Roll(2d10)+0: 7,2,+0 Total:9 (21) vs TN11 + OV14 (25) miss

Lionheart takes 6 damage putting him on 3/9 Body unless you absorb some/all of it.

You win initiative next round and are up.

Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Steeple_jackuk Sat Jun 02 2018, 18:19

Admin wrote:Lionheart takes 6 damage putting him on 3/9 Body unless you absorb some/all of it.

You win initiative next round and are up.[/i][/color]

OOC: Sorry been away and swamped with emails when I got back.

Ok, Lionheart will use HP to absorb the damage as best I can. I am wondering what chances my current strategy has of succeeding, I can continue to dodge about, but no point if I am just going to get tagged and drained of HP/Body, along the way with no discernable difference being made to the others around about me.

That being the case I'd like some advice, if I swap out martial arts for acrobatics, will the action leave me prone to attack? If by dodging about I can get the others to accidentally hit one another it seems worth it, but if not...then would my best defence be an offence?

Not sure what is best to do in this situation, with so many different targets, especially if hitting one leaves me open to attack from another. I'd need a more effective means of attack, like throwing, pushing or forcing them into one another rather than just jumping all around them. I am mindful of not letting myself be captured and therefore of not being attacked so not sure what is the best strategy to take these guys on?

"Plucky, that glorified tone attack you've got there. Although I think a more effective weapon would be to weaponise Timmy's monologues, you could certainly put me to sleep if you had that loaded up instead of these sonic boom boys."

Lionheart felt that attack, and it wasn't that his teeth still rattled or his head was felt it like had been shoved in a bell and banged about for good measure, but more than he wondered how well his depowered body would fare if they got lucky a second time. Escape...could he? Or fight back, his options were not great, but his quick mind was already playing through likely options as he sought for an opening to lunch an offensive or a surprise option that might yet occur to him.

Sj
Steeple_jackuk
Steeple_jackuk
Cosmic Level

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Mon Jun 11 2018, 20:51

OOC Don't worry about the delay - Despite me switching back to passenger trains after all these years, it's not actually any easier to have any kind of life. Who knew that passengers like to get on trains at weekends? Bah. The shifts are no walk in the park either, they want their pound of flesh.

Anyway, we all have our real life adventures to tackle, so I'll apologise for being slow this last week. Even now I'm keeping an eye on the time as I'm up at 03.50 for tomorrows shift... Rolling Eyes

The New Vanguard! Frostbite Issue #7 - Cold and Afraid! - Page 6 Skills_acrobatics

What this means is that instead of presenting a Target Number of 11 + Lionhearts Opposing value (His Dex of 14 once it's been boosted) the Target Number is rolled on 6D10 and pick the best two dice drop the rest. I would have thought this would make it effectively impossible for the Cyborgs to hit Lionheart.

LIONHEART HP 179

Damage is absorbed.

Lionheart decides to dodge and see what opportunities can be had by pausing for long enough to let the Cyborgs take aim and fire, before moving out the way!

OOC Effectively I'm going to give these guys +2 to hit because Lionheart is pausing before diving out the way. For someone else who isn't a grand master Acrobatic, this would be very tricky. For Lionheart with his astonishing (but some way less than his previous best) ability to avoid blows this means he is slightly more likely to be hit, but it's gonna take a heck of a roll.

Roll(6d10)+0: 7,8,7,6,1,7,+0 Total:14 DOUBLE plus Roll(2d10)+0: 7,10,+0 Total:31 + OV14 (45)

All six attack. Any that miss will attack their compatriot!

Sonic Beam 12 + 2 (Bonus) + roll...

Roll(2d10)+0: 8,7,+0 Total:15
Roll(2d10)+0: 2,4,+0 Total:6
Roll(2d10)+0: 2,8,+0 Total:10
Roll(2d10)+0: 10,5,+0 Total:15
Roll(2d10)+0: 2,8,+0 Total:10
Roll(2d10)+0: 2,7,+0 Total:9
ALL MISS
Now then, attack on each other, using same rolls.
TN11+Dex 8 (19) target number.
Total:15 HIT +4EV 16EV - 9RV= 7 damage 2 BODY LEFT
Total:6 MISS
Total:10 HIT +2EV 14EV- 9 RV= 5 damage 4 BODY LEFT
Total:15 HIT +4EV 16EV - 9RV= 7 damage 2 BODY LEFT
Total:10 HIT +2EV 14EV- 9 RV= 5 damage 4 BODY LEFT
Total:9 HIT +2EV 14EV- 9 RV= 5 damage 4 BODY LEFT

The War Cyborgs stagger as criss crossing Sonic Blasts fill the area and despite their best efforts to avoid each other blows, only one of them remains uninjured, the rest of them reeling from the misfires!

OOC These things have literally knocked the stuffing out of each other. Lionheart is up again. Attack, or dodge again? They might be somewhat more reserved than they were this round though...

Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Steeple_jackuk Sun Jun 17 2018, 21:40

Admin wrote:OOC These things have literally knocked the stuffing out of each other. Lionheart is up again. Attack, or dodge again? They might be somewhat more reserved than they were this round though...

'Time to go on the offensive' Lionheart thought to himself. As he launched forward using his abilities to attack and seek to take down his enemies as he went.

OOC: Ok let's get this together and start to attack these boys whilst they are dizzy and distracted by one another's attack. I imagine the whole dodging thing is going to now be a moot point, as you say. Therefore its probably best I change tactics and go on the offensive. So let's go for it, I'll keep moving whilst I'll either use telekinesis to hit back at the Cyborgs or else if that isn't worth it/effective then we'll shift back to Martial arts.

Sj
Steeple_jackuk
Steeple_jackuk
Cosmic Level

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Thu Jun 21 2018, 22:55

OOC Sorry for the delay! 2 weeks without a day off Sad then been playing catch up with my life.

FROSTBITE MIND 1/8 HERO POINTS 0

Shifting to his slush form, Frostbite knew he was in big trouble. Whilst his current state meant he was well protected from physical attack, Saladin had formidable mental prowess, and nothing he had could effectively protect against that!

With his head spinning, he moved away, sliding through spaces and into the air ducts. If he turned solid now he'd be effectively trapped by metal all around him!

"Where do you suppose you are going?" shouted Saladin. "You cannot escape me! My powers are beyond your ability to resist! What I need to know from you, however, is where is Lionheart? Tell me, and I shall go easy on you. My word is my bond."

OOC Saladin wins initiative but holds his action. you're up. You'll need time to recover, specifically 2 minutes or so and you'll be good to go. Unfortunately the bad guy, with his mental powers, may not give you that long...

Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Steeple_jackuk Fri Jun 22 2018, 15:27

Admin wrote:OOC Saladin wins initiative but holds his action. you're up. You'll need time to recover, specifically 2 minutes or so and you'll be good to go. Unfortunately, the bad guy, with his mental powers, may not give you that long...[/color]

Frostbite could recoup his lost stamina, but not without a moment to catch his breath. Besides which his enemy was formidable, his own powers tended to be a bag of tricks with which little to do but stay alive and hopefully stay the course of the mission. Moving about, listening for his friend, Frostbot's guidance and heading in the general direction he'd needed was about all he could do for now. Hoping that he may yet stay the course long enough to avoid detection and elimination from Saladin.

OOC: Ah no worries re times and stuff, life has been pretty unordinary for me these last few years so my own time to write and reply has been severely curtailed at times, so I'm not one to complain.

Ok, let's try and stay ahead, and keep away from Saladin, focusing on the task at hand and trying to recoup what I've lost as I said. I don't want to go toe to toe with Saladin a second time, I suspect I'll be on Timmy's clone table before you can say, "Chop chop!"

Sj
Steeple_jackuk
Steeple_jackuk
Cosmic Level

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Tue Jul 10 2018, 19:03

FROSTBITE

Frostbot gave his partner the bad news 'Utilising his mental abilities, Saladin will be able to find you. Technically he will not even have to see you. Therefore I suggest something... extreme. We will blow this entire section of the super structure as if it were on fire, and 'flush' it with vacuum. We will survive, Saladin... may or may not. It is this, or his next attack will render us immobile.'

Frostbite kept moving, sliding through thin spaces and tiny gaps.

'There' said Frostbot.

A maintenance panel shone in the darkness, illuminated by Frostbites blue chestplate. he was seconds away from being mentally smashed to the floor! He could keep running, or hope, and pray, his computer assistant was right with his guess that Saladin might be surprised by the 'crazy' move.

The alternative was to keep running. He was already some distance away, but if Frostbot was right, the walls in between them may well prove no barrier against those staggering mental powers!

OOC Apologies for the delay. Genuinely figured I'd be able to post but the twin problems of reliable internet and time scuppered me during last weeks European adventure (6 days travelling through 6 countries with friends). The internet was so hit and miss we only just narrowly avoided having to camp by the roadside or sleep in the car for a couple of days. Yes, a holiday with nothing booked, but it - just about - worked out without a hitch... I've taken the last day and a half to get through the washing and ironing mountain that resulted...

Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Tue Jul 10 2018, 19:48

LIONHEART

Lionheart defaulted to his most effective attack against group opponents - his scintillating martial arts prowess!

OOC It gives you extra dice for nothing, effectively, rather than burning through hero points.

Against all six chances are it will be really tricky to hit them... but.. BUT you can also make it even harder on yourself by going for a Devastating Attack. If you miss? Well, you miss all six. If you hit? you take down the group, more or less, depending on the roll.

I will assume (to keep things moving) that you go for the lot.

War Cyborgs Dex 6 plus Multi Attack +6 + Dev Attack +8 = 20OV + TN11 (31) is the total target number.

Lionheart Dex 10 (using Superspeed) needs a roll of 21 (gulp) just to hit...

Roll(6d10)+0: 6,4,8,5,8,6,+0 Total:16 DOUBLE (pfft no problem) plus Roll(2d10)+0: 5,10,+0 Total:31 (41 total)

Hit, +4 EV (to 13) vs RV18 - 12 (Dev Attack) = 7 Damage to each.

In a blur of motion Lionheart spins, ducks, thrists legs, arms, elbows, backheels, jabbed fingers... all in the blink of an eye! he effectively lands HUNDREDS of blows against his near immobile (in comparison to him) opponents and those that were already injured crash to the floor, sliding down to the ground after being immobilised!

Only one stands, and that looks somewhat worse for wear!

That wobbles, then thrusts out a hand with a sonic blaster attached!

OOC Sonic Beam 12 plus Roll(2d10)+0: 10,5,+0 Total:27 vs Dex 10 (Superspeed) + Power Reserve (to Dex) +7 (17) + TN11 (28) MISS

Lionheart arches backwards, dives under a white sound beam then applies the 'coup de grace' to the final cyborg...

OOC Crit Blow, Dex 10 + Roll(6d10)+0: 3,8,5,4,6,4,+0 Total:8 DOUBLE plus Roll(2d10)+0: 6,7,+0 Total:21 (31) vs Dex 6 + 4 (Crit Blow) + TN11 (21). +4 EV (to 13) vs RV18 - 6 (12) = 1 damage

War Cyborg left on 1 Body!

Surprisingly, the War Cyborg immediately 'stands down' as its logic processors struggle to comprehend what has just happened! It turns and starts marching away!

The mind controlled team mates immediately shout - as one - "WAIT! YOU STUPID ROBOT! WHAT... WHERE ARE... I ORDER YOU TO RETURN!"

The War Cyborg twitches, spins on its heel, looks at Lionheart, shudders... then keels over onto it's face! Clearly they have a sense of 'self preservation' and despite Timmys attempts to override it, he couldn't!

"ARRRRRRGGGGH!" they all shout. "YOU ... YOU... I... ARGGGGH!"

Just then the group all scream - as one - and clutch their heads! Then they fall to the ground!

OOC The fight with the War Cyborgs is over. Against Frostbites team mates...? A trick or...?

Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Steeple_jackuk Fri Jul 13 2018, 14:58

The alternative was to keep running. He was already some distance away, but if Frostbot was right, the walls in between them may well prove no barrier against those staggering mental powers!

Frostbite moved as directed, he imagined that this would more likely delay Saladin rather than render him inoperable.  He knew well enough that jury-rigging a plan cobbled together with whatever was to hand plus a fair bit of sheer bloody-mindedness was about all one could hope for when the odds were stacked this far against you.   It was this, or who knew what at the hands of those who had control of Saladin.  If they could get him to comply Frostbite was no match.  Not unless, as in this case they did the unthinkable...

OOC: Ok I do the best I can to brace for whatever is coming and then leave it till the last moment as best I can.  Perhaps leaving the trigger to Frostbot in case I get attacked and am unable to trigger it otherwise.

As regards the hols, no worries, I saw on FB that you were away, sounds mental, what an adventure.
Steeple_jackuk
Steeple_jackuk
Cosmic Level

Back to top Go down

Post  Steeple_jackuk Fri Jul 13 2018, 15:03

Admin wrote:LIONHEART

Just then the group all scream - as one - and clutch their heads! Then they fall to the ground!

OOC The fight with the War Cyborgs is over. Against Frostbites teammates...? A trick or...?

Lionheart looks on himself somewhat stunned by what necessity seemed to provide by way of invention. He knew that should Timmy and his control over the team return, his danger sense should alert him. Nonetheless, he took no chances, moving in swiftly, wondering if these were creatures of plastic or some other sort of material. From what little he knew, it was plastic that Timmy seemed to be able to control, not flesh. But who knew how his powers had changed in the course of this 'journey' he'd undertaken.

OOC: Ok check the 'bodies' my guess is that without Timmy they might just be shells, or else might be rendered unconscious but otherwise able to attack and be retaken over. Unless there was something on them that inhibited their own natural personality in favour of his. If there is anything I can find that might help, I'll look to that. Failing that, I think it best I tie them up, put them out and get on without them.

Sj

Steeple_jackuk
Steeple_jackuk
Cosmic Level

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Tue Jul 17 2018, 21:08

FROSTBITE

Aware that he was seconds from defeat Frostbite relied on his partner to know when to 'flush' the area...

'Now' said Frostbot calmly in his mind. Frostbite placed his hand on the panel and there was a huge BANG!!! that rang out...

Alarms blared, hatches slammed and debris, dust and some of the flimsier fittings were torn up and rushed towards the blown hatches...

Another door slammed down and Frostbite breathed a sigh of relief, glancing at the superstructure frame next to him that he'd been clung to without realising. His super strong fingers had gripped so hard there were fingerprints and indentations in the metal!

'I have discovered something else. Your team mates - the reason we are here - are on this vessel. They are tracked - and controlled - by their headwear, which is a device used by Timothy Jones to control them. I have scanned the records. The devices are prototypes and not fully operable with complete control, but they are undergoing a 'field test' that the scientists have remarked shall allow them to 'fully realise the mind control helmets potential' once they are back in the labs.'

'They are currently fighting against Lionheart'

Suddenly the alarms stopped blaring and Frostbot noted 'The hull breach has caused the vessel to come to an emergency stop. This has bought Reflex some time. Unfortunately there are... numerous... War Cyborgs closing in on our location. We can further sabotage the vessel at risk to ourselves or make immediately for Lionhearts location and try to free your team mates from the mind control devices. A simple matter, requiring only a touch I would expect. And my considerable abilities, of course.'

OOC Updating Lionheart tomorrow ... bed time calling (up at 0345 for work...)

Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Steeple_jackuk Sun Jul 22 2018, 18:07

Suddenly the alarms stopped blaring and Frostbot noted 'The hull breach has caused the vessel to come to an emergency stop. This has bought Reflex some time. Unfortunately, there are... numerous... War Cyborgs closing in on our location. We can further sabotage the vessel at risk to ourselves or make immediately for Lionheart's location and try to free your teammates from the mind control devices. A simple matter, requiring only a touch I would expect. And my considerable abilities, of course.'

OOC Updating Lionheart tomorrow ... bed time calling (up at 0345 for work...)

Aware that no plan is perfect and that whatever his intention, new light, through up new ways of working. Frostbite conceded that perhaps right now, his information and Lionheart's help might be best held together. But there was no need to not continue plaguing the ship. Leading the War Cyborgs a merry dance in a roundabout way to Lionheart.

OOC: Seems like getting back to Lionheart and rescuing those whom we came for might be the best way forward. But not just for Lionheart, Frostbite feels a real responsibility for his teammates, who were looking to him for leadership and training. He owes it to them to make good on that promise and see them safe or as safe as the enemy ship could be.

Sj
Steeple_jackuk
Steeple_jackuk
Cosmic Level

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Thu Jul 26 2018, 08:32

LIONHEART

(OOC Apologies for delay. Work has been a nightmare the last week and I'm looking forward to a week off next week to recharge... Last week off I had was hardly relaxing Shocked  )

Lionheart moved to the fallen members of Frostbites team. The helmets appeared to be removable, but as he did so - gently - he noticed there were strange pulsing tentacles of some kind from inside the helmet itself. Indeed, the material of the helmet itself seemed unusual. Not like metal, or plastic. Instead it seemed to be slightly warm. And... did that...?

Lionheart started, jumping back slightly. These 'helmets' were ALIVE! They were some kind of parasitic organism that adhered to the targets head and allowed another to control their every bodily function and action! Somewhere, Timmy must be controlling these people via some means that transmitted to the team. Fortunately, the 'system' this creature employed seemed not to allow fine control of a group. Instead, there were mass commands, or a switch to control each individual. Therefore they'd not be fully effective, but something like this could be made to control dozens, even hundreds or THOUSANDS of hapless subjects, turning them into a living 'zombie army' of sorts!

It seemed Timmy had truly gone 'over the edge'. As well as being a disembodied spirit that could inhabit inanimate objects and bring them to life - of a sort - he was now using an alien plant/parasite to control that which was beyond his control. He needed stopping!

Of course, he still needed to disable the ship to save Wandafar and the others. Dare he remove one - or all - of these parasitic headsets or would he move on after finding something to restrain them with? If it didn't work, what effect would that have on the host? If it DID work though, he'd have another ally, and on a ship where hordes of War Cyborgs lurked around every corner, he knew his luck would run out sooner rather than later!

Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 6 of 8 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next