The New Vanguard! Frostbite Issue #7 - Cold and Afraid!

Page 5 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Go down

Re: The New Vanguard! Frostbite Issue #7 - Cold and Afraid!

Post  Admin on Tue Jan 23 2018, 12:45

Filling the interior with ice and cooling it as hard and for as long as he could, Frostbite tried his best to resist the incredible heat... but without the probes' normal systems to slow its descent into atmosphere (removed to give Frostbite room to climb in) the capsule started to spin and glow.

Very very brightly!

All of a sudden the probe started to shudder and vibrate, then tumble, as the weight imbalance was magnified by the extreme speed! Suddenly it exploded and the sound of air hitting the contents created a huge thunderclap! Frostbite was stunned, temporarily he hoped, and unable to hear, but heard Frostbot in his head saying 'Ah, the optimum moment for 'bailing out' has not occurred yet, but here we are...'

Streaking down like an asteroid the ice ball flared and started to melt, flanked by debris from the probe which lit up the sky! Frostbite got a glimpse of blue... then green below... Using his power of flight he started to slow his descent, but it was like trying to grab onto a bullet as it passed by! He knew he had to try harder so...

FWOOOOOSHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!

Darkness. Water. Sucking mud. Fould, dank smelling muck. Bubbles all around, steaming water...

Frostbite swum to the surface, taking a great gulp of air and looking around. He was in a swamp. Well, one with a huge wet crater in and steam pumping up from the ground all around! In addition to that, Frostbites' power had frozen the water all about. The trees around were overhung wet wet looking vines, and a neat hole punched into the canopy of the trees.

Then Frostbites' eyes settled on three 'Crocodile Men' hybrids that stood around 7' high at the shoulder! They didn't look friendly, and strode through the steaming muck towards Frostbite...

Admin
Admin

View user profile http://darkeningshadows.darkbb.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Steeple_jackuk on Wed Jan 24 2018, 17:26

Admin wrote:Then Frostbites' eyes settled on three 'Crocodile Men' hybrids that stood around 7' high at the shoulder! They didn't look friendly and strode through the steaming muck towards Frostbite...

Noting his limbs and body parts all seemed to be intact, Frostbite thanked God he was still in one piece and knew that was an experience he didn't want to repeat a second time.

Taking in the scene and the creatures before him, Frostbite had no reason to believe these creatures would be 'nice and welcoming' to the new guy in town. But assuming he still had the power of flight, he wasn't about to stick around and find out. He was here for a purpose and that this place was scheduled for annihilation suggested that something big was going on here that needed his attention.

He didn't have time to waste jawing with the locals.

OOC: ok I'll fly up and get my bearings, see if I can't get away from these things. Assuming I've not rendered my flight power inoperable. In which case I am hoping that crocodile creatures are lizards and cold-blooded and hence not liking ice production. But I'm kind of assuming my descent has been noted and it might be I've drawn attention to myself. Flight might be risky, so will need to assess whether I stay down low to avoid detection, and try and evade these guys or go up high and get into the fight to get into the thick of the action. Let's go up top first have a look around and then decide the what and where next.

Sj

Steeple_jackuk
Cosmic Level

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin on Thu Jan 25 2018, 17:20

Frostbite started to rise from the murk and the creatures spread out, hawked with their chests and throats... then spat!

OOC Frosty flies up... and the CrocMen spit!

'Team Attack' by the three of them...

Glue 7 plus Roll(2d10)+0: 3,2,+0 Total:12 vs Dex 9 - 4 (team Attack) + 11 (16 TN). MISS
Glue 7 plus Roll(2d10)+0: 4,7,+0 Total:18 vs Dex 9 - 4 (team Attack) + 11 (16 TN). HIT +2. 9EV vs Str 9=0 RAPs No effect.
Glue 7 plus Roll(2d10)+0: 6,5,+0 Total:11 vs Dex 9 - 4 (team Attack) + 11 (16 TN). HIT +2. 9EV vs Str 9=0 RAPs No effect.

Frostbite (narrowly) avoids what could be described as basketball size globs of goop! They flew around and past him, splattering and spreading across whatever they hit. Trees, rocks, water... whatever they hit was instantly gummed up and plastered with file smelling goop!

Then he was clear, away over the tree canopy and looking out across a huge jungle! Strange four winged birds, calls from creatures that Frosty didn't recognise and roars from no doubt deadly creatures put Frostbite in no doubt that he wasn't anywhere that could be described as earth! Luckily the air was mostly breathable. An ordinary human might gasp but superhumans wouldn't struggle.

The column of smoke stuck out like a saw thumb. The jungle spread out in every direction but he could see something shining in the sky. Silver like. Metal. Too far away to make out, but... getting closer?

Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Steeple_jackuk on Fri Jan 26 2018, 14:54

Admin wrote:Frostbite (narrowly) avoids what could be described as basketball size globs of goop! They flew around and past him, splattering and spreading across whatever they hit. Trees, rocks, water... whatever they hit was instantly gummed up and plastered with file smelling goop!

The column of smoke stuck out like a saw thumb. The jungle spread out in every direction but he could see something shining in the sky. Silver like. Metal. Too far away to make out, but... getting closer?

Grateful not to get entangled literally or otherwise in what the Crocmen had for him, nonetheless Frostbite couldn't help but feel this might be a case of out of the frying pan and into the fire. Nonetheless, if there was anything to be found out about what was going on here, then as uncomfortable as the notion made him feel, the fire it was. Frostbite had a muted conversation along synaptic relays and neurological paths he barely grasped as part of his superhuman physiology. Frostbite would need his friend to be onboard, literally if he had any chance of getting close to and perhaps even boarding whatever was on its way to him. And given the amount of armoured muscle flying about this system Frostbite didn't need to imagine that, this is what he'd drawn the attention of coming toward him.

OOC: Ok so let it draw in, perhaps act like I am barely able to fly, injured and what not. And the hope is that I might be able to either dupe them into coming close enough for me to spring into action get aboard or get Frostbot aboard and take over the ship. And if not, well I'll cross that bridge when I come to it.

Sj
Steeple_jackuk
Cosmic Level

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin on Thu Feb 01 2018, 09:39

'Though your eyesight is not in the superhuman range, it becomes clear and obvious even from this range that the approaching vessel is of Empirical origin and it's intentions are not friendly.' stated Frostbot. 'Note that their weapon systems may have sufficient power to overwhelm your defences. I recommend caution.'

As Frostbite 'laid it on thick', feigning injury and drawing in the distant silver spec ever faster, he noticed something else in the corner of his peripheral vision. Something Big.

All of a sudden the 'suns went out' so to speak, as a huge shadow engulfed Frostbite! The biggest bird he'd EVER seen swooped down at speed towards him! With a wingspan of more than 50'... it was hard to judge with it's wings pulled into dive, and claws big enough to clamp hold of a small car, it was clear that Frostbite was next on the menu!

OOC Initiative... no need to roll. Frosty isn't surprised (this whole planet wants to kill him!) and he's smart, whereas this thing is a big eating/killing machine...

You have a diving bird coming at you! It's about 100' away but will be on you this round...

Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Steeple_jackuk on Fri Feb 02 2018, 17:05

Admin wrote:You have a diving bird coming at you! It's about 100' away but will be on you this round...[/i][/color]

OOC: Ok at this point I am thinking what have I got that might be the best strategy against this big bird. So options are a) would Ice Control be effective as a passive form of attack, freezing the air around the bird, particularly its eyes so that it misses me or I could more effective 'dodge'? or b) Weather control, get a huge gust of wind to drag it off, down, to one side or another so that again it looks like it misses or its easier for me to dodge> IN this case, I'd like to get it lower to the ground, maybe something there will take care of it for me! or c) dispersal, if nothing else looks to be effective then go for phasing so that it clean goes through me, that way I can try and see if it will leave me alone before trying one of the options above, as a fall back. Not sure what is most effective, cost least in terms of avoiding my ruse being discovered etc.

Frostbite quickly mulled over his options, flashing at the speed of thought his considerations past Frostbot, whose ability to process the various strategies and come up with workable probabilities was simply much greater than his own.

Sj
Steeple_jackuk
Cosmic Level

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin on Fri Feb 09 2018, 11:18

OOC Dispersal is as effective a way as any to ensure the big bird doesn't gobble Frosty...

Adrenaline Surge 15 + Roll(2d10)+0: 7,1,+0 Total:23 vs TN11 + OV5 (16). +4EV (19) vs 5RV. Dispersal Boosted to 15APs temporarily.

Shifting his physical form to that partially 'not there' state that was tricky for a man from the 1940s originally to understand, Frostbite watched as the hug bird simply sped through his body as if he wasn't there!

It banked sharply and started to rise, cawing it's displeasure for the jungle below to cower from! The undisputed king of the skies in this area had been thwarted... and the best way to recover from that slight was to move on and find other, more easily secured, prey!

As the bird swept wings upwards and soared away, Frostbite turned...

OOC Going from the post in Lionhearts thread I've moved on the post to the point where...

And saw a man in a black jumpsuit floating not far away. Could it be...? Here? How...?

"Lionheart?"

Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Steeple_jackuk on Fri Feb 09 2018, 16:09

Admin wrote:And saw a man in a black jumpsuit floating not far away. Could it be...? Here? How...?

"Lionheart?"

For a moment the fact that both men, heroes and often partners in the team the Vanguard, were at once in the same place after what seemed like aeons, since the team had functioned on a mission together, was more than either had words to say. But as usual, Lionheart jumped in with a quip to dispel any awkwardness,

"Of all the off worlds, in all the backwater microscopic universes, and of all the savage death-dealing, swamp-infested backwaters, I had to run into you here?"

Frostbite was about to talk, to utter his shock and relief that of all the team Lionheart their most powerful was with them when Lionheart continued, "No time buddy, we'll have to drink beer and catch up later you've been made by the empire and their sending in their welcome party to investigate. Kind of handy really because we sure could do with a lift. What say we hitch a ride?"

Frostbite looked in the direction that Lionheart's arm pointed and once again saw the object fast speeding towards them much clearer now, that he had previously been trying to dupe into coming closer. Since he was still dispersed the best idea seemed to head straight to the ship asap and see if he couldn't get a certain Frostbot programme to make friends with the ship whilst Lionheart and Frostbite pacified the occupants.

OOC:Ok if possible to remain dispersed, I'll do what I suggested fly towards the ship and see if we can't get Frostbot to take her over, and meanwhile have Lionheart run interference and try and distract them if possible. We'll both be looking at playing this defensively if they start shooting at us, so as to avoid getting tagged.

Sj
Steeple_jackuk
Cosmic Level

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin on Mon Feb 12 2018, 17:23

OOC Adrenaline Boost 15 + Roll(2d10)+0: 3,6,+0 Total:24 vs TN11 + Dispersal 5 (16)=+4EV. 19EV vs Dispersal 5RV=14. Dispersal remains boosted to 15. For my own reference a roll of 6+ on 2D10 ensures success. Anything less than that refer to the character rules! (Bad thing).

With the heroes reunited Frostbite coudn't quite figure out quite why Lionheart hadn't taken out the ship himself. Despite it's size he could punch through a tank like it was made of wet tissue paper, so what gave...?

Anyway. He remained dispersed and flew at the oncoming ship, expecting his friend and team mate to race past him...

And had to glance back to see Lionheart flying but dropping back dramatically! Normally Frostbite knew he'd not even be able to figure out which way Lionheart had gone!

The oncoming rocket ship opened fire at the pair!

OOC Barring some crazy double tastic roll Frostbite is immune to anything short of a small atomic bomb in dispersed form and Lionheart is far too agile to be hit by the likes of this ships weapons systems. If it did, then it would hurt him in his present form, but it's a big IF.

Vs Frostbite...

Roll(2d10)+0:
9,9,+0
Total:18 DOUBLE plus
Roll(2d10)+0:
1,4,+0
Total:23

Weaponry 7 + 23 vs TN11 + Dex 9 (20) equals hit (+4 effect). 12EV + 4 (16) vs RV (in dispersed form) of 26. No damage. Beam just flashes through.

Vs Lionheart

Roll(2d10)+0:
5,1,+0
Total:6

Miss.

reaching the rocketship ahead of his friend, Frostbite releases his sentient program into a console on the bridge as the bridge crew scatter and race for the arms locker cupboard. there were around a dozen on the bridge, and a clanking security bot swivelled to turn its head and bring weapons to bear until the Captain shouted "No laser fire on the bridge! Do you want us to crash! Stun only! Now, fools!"

That was good to know but Frostbite was sure none of their weapons could affect him whilst dispersed.

'I have taken the liberty of throwing up a number of faults into the ships computer to put it into limp mode.' explained Frostbot. 'Lionheart appears not to be himself. The ship sped past him and he was unable to keep up. I have also opened a loading hatch beneath the vessel and the internal cameras show he is on board. Ah. His speed has not deserted him. Though... he seems not to be as fast as before (OOC An understatement!). he should be nearing the bridge... now...'

=========

Frostbite had ignored the blasts whilst Lionheart simply moved to the side.

His legendary reactions had not deserted him, but he did feel somewhat ineffectual compared to his old friend. Is that how the others had felt when he was in the team? He'd entered this subatomic universe in search of Frostbite and Wandafar, seeking to help them, and instead effectively reduced himself in power to more or less his original PSI Corps level and unwittingly given life to a solid telekinetic construct with the mind and soul of Saladin! How that had come about he wasn't sure, but their minds together and powers had turned Lionheart into one of the top twenty most powerful super beings on Earth! Now, he was... Less?

But no less the hero!

He sped as fast as able to the rocket, only for it to veer and outpace him! What the...?

Turning about in the air he shot off after it... at around 50mph. Rolling his eyes he sighed. He'd been used to flying at high mach speeds for a while now. His original 'fast floating' had been something of a joke in his time in the corps. The others had used it simply to levitate and used jetpacks to fly with.

OOC this version of Lionheart never joined the Executive....

Just then the ship slowed to a sputtering halt, and a rear hatch opened! Flying in, the door swished open and a computer voice spoke out "I am Frostbot, Frostbites' sentient computer aide. Please follow the illuminated signs to the bridge!"

In moments at superspeed Lionheart had sped past astonished crew, technicians and security guards and the door to the bridge swished open! He was stood behind a hulking (7' tall) robot and saw past it that Frostbite was floating on the bridge with the crew rushing for hand weapons...

OOC Initiative. The pair of you go first.

Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Steeple_jackuk on Mon Feb 19 2018, 19:17

Admin wrote:In moments at superspeed Lionheart had sped past astonished crew, technicians and security guards and the door to the bridge swished open! He was stood behind a hulking (7' tall) robot and saw past it that Frostbite was floating on the bridge with the crew rushing for hand weapons...

OOC Initiative. The pair of you go first.

Lionheart always knew that Frostbite had more going on than met the eye, but even he was impressed by this little secret companion that he'd kept quietly to himself. Lionheart didn't have time to gawp, he wasn't new to AI, but the time for questions wasn't now. Now he was in his element, able to move with his feet, and hands, he moved.

OOC:Lionheart will go for disabling attacks on those trying to get to guns, either multi-attack chopping at hands or limbs or knocking them back to stop them reaching their weapons, or if its better still just getting ahead of them to their weapons (assuming their in one place) and stopping them before they can reach them. Depends what is more feasible. Although I know multi-attack is costly. So if I go down that route lets add 2x HP to where it might help most.

"What took you so long, we've got a planet...correction a universe to save and as usual the clock is ticking."

As Lionheart began to move, Frostbite assumed it was safe to phase back and moved in blasting at those seeking to rush toward weapons, aiming to stop, slow or hamper them rather than do any real damage, especially to the ship.

OOC: Sorry for the delay, been away on holiday for a week, had a great time but now back to try and keep up again, so many emails but got to this one soon as I could. ;-)

Sj
Steeple_jackuk
Cosmic Level

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 5 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum