The Vanguard Play by Post Roleplaying Game
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The new Vanguard! Frostbite Issue #4

3 posters

Page 4 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Go down

The new Vanguard! Frostbite Issue #4 - Page 5 Empty Re: The new Vanguard! Frostbite Issue #4

Post  Steeple_jackuk Thu Dec 03 2015, 22:10

Admin wrote:OOC She drains body points (life energy) from her victims to power her own abilities - super strength, reflexes, toughness, healing, personal force field etc. The more she drains (up to a certain amount) the more power she has.

Options to save her:

1) use the medicine skill (Frostbite has that). Unfortunately whilst doing that it's not so easy to dodge, and there will be penalties.
2) leave her for a bit. People don't die instantly in this game. She will continue to lose MIND points at the rate of 1 every 15 minutes. Combat should be resolved - one way or another - by then
3) get her outside to the emergency services. Ambulance is in attendance. Mary on the Jet has some skill too. That will leave this place at the mercy of the Locusts though

OOC: Right didn't realise we had more time, and in part I was quite shocked that yet another one of my team folded.  In which case I'll move to protect Steph and continue to blast the Mindblaster (standard use HP 2 die again as needed) since he seems most dangerous at present.  Since I have 2 AP in medicine I'll look down at Steph and give my best assessment, as soon as I am free to break off combat (no point in doing so and risking the one chance we've got to get her to safety) then I'll use the med pack, if possible fly her off or get one of the others to get her to the ship for medical prep.  The ship can take off and get her back, then return later on if need be.

Sj
Steeple_jackuk
Steeple_jackuk
Cosmic Level

Back to top Go down

The new Vanguard! Frostbite Issue #4 - Page 5 Empty Re: The new Vanguard! Frostbite Issue #4

Post  Admin Mon Dec 07 2015, 23:03

OOC Using 2 dice, 13HP.

FROSTBITE HP 159

OOC Roll(4d10)+0: 3,1,4,1,+0 Total:9 Whoa! Obviously not taking the double 1 (!) but you nearly had a power burnout right there with the 3,1. The first two dice are the ones counted in case of any complications. If the complications don't apply (you missed having a power burnout on Energy blast with a roll of 4 vs the 3 required for the power to burn out) then you can pick from whatever dice remain.

Energy Blast 15 plus 7 rolled vs OV7 + TN11. +3 Effect, 18EV vs 7RV. 11 damage.

Barely containing his anger and almost losing control of his power, Frostbite manages to grab his arm and move it to blast the Locust Man in the chest again...

And this time the thing splatters into a green icy smear across the floor! In truth, it seemed to be acting mechanically, as if dead already and controlled by another.

Surge attacks the Locust Man with all he has...

OOC AV7 plus roll Roll(2d10)+0: 10,1,+0 Total:11 TN11+OV7. Hit, on the dot, but EV12 (grown strength) vs RV14 does no damage. The Locust Man attacks Surges' hand... Roll(2d10)+0: 2,7,+0 Total:9 + AV7 vs OV3 + TN11. Hit by 2, +2 Effect. EV12 +2 vs RV16 (Surges resistance value) means no damage.

The two combatants seem evenly matched. The other Locust Man continues its work in mechanical fashion, then completes the wiring to a detonator.

OOC The bomb is about to go off! If Steph is caught in the blast in her current state she may die. Surge will also be caught in the blast. You may well survive it, but your friends are class 1 or class 2 heroes (at best) and fighting as hard as they can against equal or superior foes... Frostbite wins initiative. Roll(2d10)+0: 10, Good guys 2,Bad Guys Total:12 Heh, didn't even need to see the roll to predict it. Over to you.

The new Vanguard! Frostbite Issue #4 - Page 5 Tables_draft_v2_higher_resThe new Vanguard! Frostbite Issue #4 - Page 5 Combat-Maneuver-stuff
Admin
Admin
Admin

https://darkeningshadows.darkbb.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Steeple_jackuk Tue Dec 08 2015, 08:26

Admin wrote:OOC The bomb is about to go off! If Steph is caught in the blast in her current state she may die. Surge will also be caught in the blast. You may well survive it, but your friends are class 1 or class 2 heroes (at best) and fighting as hard as they can against equal or superior foes... Frostbite wins initiative. Roll(2d10)+0: 10, Good guys 2,Bad Guys Total:12 Heh, didn't even need to see the roll to predict it. Over to you.

Frostbite had to act fast, truth was the bomb was already in place and there was little they could do to stop that now. But he might literally be able to freeze the situation where it stood.

OOC:Ok I need to put some cliff notes next to the powers names, cause I can never remember what they do, apart from the obvious ones ;-). Anyway, whatever allows me to freeze the bug to the bomb on the spot, even in the act of plugging things in, is what I will do. I am hoping that if I can catch it just right, it will literally stop it in its tracks and be unable to carry out the orders. The bomb thus encased may no longer function which might allow for its safe deactivation. Well that is what I am shooting for. So poor it on, Adrenaline surge and HP to the max, kinda can't fail or I might as well retire, right?

Thinking was not the order of the moment, acting on instinct. Some primal response of survival and speed, Frostbite poured on his abilities to stop what looked unstoppable at that moment on the cusp of disaster.

Sj
Steeple_jackuk
Steeple_jackuk
Cosmic Level

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Tue Dec 08 2015, 14:53

OOC Quick run down

Ice Production - allows Frostbite to produce Ice from thin air to make very basic structures or use as an attack
Ice Control - move volumes of Ice around. Yeah, it's not that useful.
Flight - does what it says on the tin
Fluid Form - this is Frostbites ice crystal form making him harder to hit and hurt
Sealed Systems - hold breath, go without food/water/sleep, resist gas and radiation
Adrenaline Surge - boost certain abilities. This needs looking at.
Dispersal - move through objects. At its base level (5) you can move through glass. Very expensive for limited benefit in this game.
Thermal Vision - see heat sources like infra red
Weather Control - change the current local weather from one state to another. The more extreme the change, the harder it is.
Regeneration - heal very quickly, instead of once an hour
Icing - cover yourself with a sheathe of Ice that protects from cold attacks and substitutes for Strength in hand to hand attacks (but its the same level as strength so no point)
Energy Blast - smite your enemies from afar with a bio electric beam
Density Increase - boost your mass/strength/resistance to harm at the cost of making yourself slower (lowers dex)

Adrenaline Surge will either boost your accuracy (acting Value) or Damage (Effect Value) of a power that is used to attack with. In this case you want accuracy to pull off a trick shot and freeze that detonator to the Locusts hands.

Adrenaline surge to Ice Production. Using Hero points (13?)

FROSTBITE HP 146

Roll(4d10)+0: 10,5,6,4,+0 Total:16 Extra dice not much good really. Plus Adrenaline Surge 15. 31AV vs OV9 (Ice Production) +TN11. +5 Effect. 20EV vs RV8. +12RAPs to ACTING value of Ice Production, now 20 for one shot.

Going for a trick shot to encase the hand/arm in solid ice...

AV20 vs OV7 (Dex)+TN11+4 (Trick Shot). Don't really need much of a roll (2 or more). Roll(2d10)+0: 9,1,+0 Total:10. +4 Effect. 13EV vs Str 7 of Locust man. 6RAPs.

The Locust man stared dumbly at his arm which was completely encased in a block of ice! It also had the effect of making the creature easier to strike and Frostbite called out to Kevin as the big man battled with the annoying armour clad Locust.

"Kinda... busy... here... Boss!" he called. Frostbite shouted "He's got a bomb!" which got the big mans attention!

Turning, Surge slammed a foot down on the Locust Man from above!

OOC Going for a devastating attack. I assume Frostbite wants this done so will divert a die Kevins way.

FROSTBITE HP 140

OOC Surge attacks (AV7 vs OV1+TN11+8 from devastating attack) Roll(3d10)+0: 3,3,5,+0 Total:6 DOUBLE plus Roll(2d10)+0: 2,2,+0 Total:4 DOUBLE plus Roll(2d10)+0: 9,10,+0 Total:29 rolled plus AV7. AV36 vs TN20. +6 Effect, +12 from Dev Attack. EV12+18=30EV vs RV7.

WHOMP!

Surge SLAMS a huge foot down leaving only a green splatter across the bottom of his foot and the floor, and a Locust Mans' arm still encased in ice... which starts to fizz and bubble as it decomposes rapidly!

"Yeah!" shouted the big man... until the Armour Locust Man takes a swing!

OOC His OV is 4 +TN11 when Grown. Locust Man has AV7 plus Roll(2d10)+0: 8,3,+7 Total:18. Hit, +2 Effect. 14Ev vs RV16, Surge takes no damage.

"Huh!" laughed Surge. "That it punk? That all you got?"

The Armoured Locust Man looks around. The Detonator is encased in Ice. It is outnumbered, and knows the team of heroes has defeated its giant counterpart. The mind blaster and standard Locust Men are gone.

In rasping English it hisses "The ddday issss yourrrrrssss... Tomorrrow... OURS!"

And it explodes!

Green goop fizzles, dries and turns to dust almost instantly. Surge shrinks and moves over to Reflex. "Boss! We gotta help her!" he cries.

The new Vanguard! Frostbite Issue #4 - Page 5 Tables_draft_v2_higher_resThe new Vanguard! Frostbite Issue #4 - Page 5 Combat-Maneuver-stuff
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Steeple_jackuk Tue Dec 08 2015, 22:29

Admin wrote:In rasping English it hisses "The ddday issss yourrrrrssss... Tomorrrow... OURS!"

And it explodes!

Green goop fizzles, dries and turns to dust almost instantly. Surge shrinks and moves over to Reflex. "Boss! We gotta help her!" he cries.

OOC: And hands down that has to be one of the hardest fights we've faced.  Shucks glad we made it out alive.  Right priority is getting Steph to some kind of safety.  Whoever can get her their fastest, fly to the awaiting ship and make sure she is taken care of or at least held some sort of stasis.  Await the others return, or else send the ship on without us to get Steph to safety and I'll wait for the guys to regroup.  We'll say our fond farewells to the UK Champions whom we can leave to do the who PR thing and clean up the mess.  Sadly we failed to capture a Locust man, but we know know they are far more formidable.  

Not sure if we can track them down, if they are covering their tracks so expertly but will make the UK champions get what intel we've got so that they know we're playing nice and are good guys on the side of the angels like them.

Sj
Steeple_jackuk
Steeple_jackuk
Cosmic Level

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Wed Dec 09 2015, 09:59

Bombardier walks in, rolling his neck and wiping a smear of blood away from where it dribbled from a split eyebrow under his mask.

Looking about, he walks over to Frostbite. "Your people are undisciplined, untrained and with superhuman abilities, are like loaded weapons ready to go off!" he barks. Frostbite ignores him as he makes Reflex more comfortable. With a nod to Kevin, the battered hero scoops her up gently and makes his way out.

Behind Bombardier Frostbite sees a green stain covering the car park outside this building where the giant locust had gone 'pop'.

"But you?" added Bombardier, giving a hard, appraising stare to Frostbite. "You have been around. You might be a yank and for all I know a glory hound like a lot of them seem to be, but in my book you're alright. If this was an interview, you just passed the first stage, and should you ever seek membership in the UKChampions, I can put in a good word." he thrust a hand out to shake.

Frostbot spoke up 'The jammer has gone offline, wherever it is. It might even have been the 'mindblaster' Locust Variant with some curious method of jamming electronic signals. These things appear to have an extraordinary ability to adapt to the challenge that faces them. We should too. I have advised Mary that we have several team members in need of medical attention. It seemed the giant Locust was the most powerful of the group and took the most effort to subdue. I would however, argue that the Mindblaster is the more dangerous and should be watched for in future, should they reappear.'

'Terra Firma and Gravitas have reported being detained by security services - as a precaution - but want to know how they should respond. They don't like having guns pointed at them.'

Crystal Queen wobbles in and sags onto a railing. "Well, that went as well as can be expected, but this plant will be out of action for weeks or months. They failed, if their intention was to destroy it." Her crystal form had minute hairline cracks all over it. "Didn't expect that Locust Man to breathe liquid flame. Thought I'd shatter!"

Bombardier nodded. "Asp and Tearaway are recovering. Asp is more annoyed than hurt I think. Tearaway is... well, she's Tearaway. Missed out on a fight, lashing out. "

Crystal Queen frowned and walked to stand beside Frostbite. "I hope you aren't giving this man a hard time!" she barked at Bombardier. Before he could answer she turned and gave Frostbite a crunchy hug, her crystal form meshing against his icy form. "Thank you." she adds quietly. "You'll always have a friend in me." She gave Frostbite a peck on the cheek then went outside to deal with the authorities. "Captain!" she shouts "Be so kind as to let those gentlemen go. They are with us."

"...not on our database, maybe we should wait until verified by..."

"Captain, they just helped save this facility and hundreds of lives if it were to have blown up. Are you really going to turn this win into something soured by red tape and bureacracy?"

"...well ma'am, protocol demands that..."

"I will take full responsibility. I have Alpha 4 clearance. Feel free to check..."

Their voices trailed away.

Bombardier took a deep breath. "Alright. Thank you - and your people - for your help. You were... invaluable. We came unprepared. We really need to find out what we're up against here. With that in mind..." he fished in a belt pouch to hand out a business card. It said simply 'UkChampions visitor clearance Delta 1'. "I'd like for you to visit us at our London HQ, tomorrow, if you can. Don't bring the growing idiot. His IQ seems to shrink as his body grows."

"Boss" said Mary in Frostbites ear piece. "Press and police arriving en masse. Time to go. Reflex is fine, but she'll wake up with a headache and be out of action for a few days. Need to get her back to the base. Ms Stowe can get Wandafars machines to work on her."

OOC Just about a wrap with this issue, and hero point award to hand out. The next step in this process of hunting down the Locusts will test Frostbite to the brink of his power and beyond!

Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Steeple_jackuk Wed Dec 09 2015, 13:15

Admin wrote:Bombardier walks in… "Your people are undisciplined, untrained…But you, I can put in a good word." he thrust a hand out to shake.
Frostbite was about to answer in defence of his team, but as the old soldier blustered he took the comments on the chin and took the offered hand.
"It’s been an honour, sir. You’re not wrong about these guys, but if you saw where they came from and what they’d been through I think you’d appraise them differently. But anytime you want to give us a hand on our team, training them up, let me say I can put a good word in for you to."
Frostbite ended that last comment with a short laugh, and a wink.

Momentarily distracted by Frostbot’s comments, Frostbite realised that the debrief was going to be lengthy.

Admin wrote:Crystal Queen wobbles in and sags onto a railing. "Well, that went as well as can be expected…Thank you." she adds quietly. "You'll always have a friend in me." She gave Frostbite a peck on the cheek then went outside to deal with the authorities.

Frostbite, not unused to the attention of the ladies, before he came to his powers suddenly realised how long it had been seen a pretty Elf maid, almost stole his heart. Crystal Queen, seem to have taken a shine to him, and he wondered if there was ever an off time whether a simple drink might help cement a possible growing friendship, outside the tight confines of the mansion and the team. Still he kept a lid on his feelings and thoughts before they ran away with themselves. There was still work to be done for now. And with that, came another voice to bring him back to matters at hand.

Admin wrote:"Boss" said Mary in Frostbites ear piece. "Press and police arriving en masse. Time to go. Reflex is fine, but she'll wake up with a headache and be out of action for a few days. Need to get her back to the base. Ms Stowe can get Wandafar’s machines to work on her."

Giving the necessary orders, Frostbite made sure they had everything and everyone they needed before taking off into the air, through the gap he’d made coming in and away to the ship.

It was good to be going home, and he was enormously relieve that Stephanie was largely ok. But would they be so fortunate next time. Would rash action, lead to harsher circumstances. How could Frostbite assist the team in growing into their roles and yet protect them from greater harm than they could deal with. It wasn’t a way anymore, but it sure felt like the first moves of one.

Sj
Steeple_jackuk
Steeple_jackuk
Cosmic Level

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Wed Dec 09 2015, 23:27

"Everyone strapped in?" shouted Mary as the engines roared to life and the jet spun before speeding off, stealth tech making it shimmer from view.

"We're being tracked..." she spoke into her head set. "Thanks. I'll try that."

Fingers dancing over controls, she glanced again at a jury rigged panel held together with duct tape and bits of wire. "Ah, that's got it. The UK Government wants to know who we are and where we live. Not today."

Frostbite sagged into the co-pilots seat. Behind, the team was in various states of battered. Kevin came up front. "We did good huh? Some of those UKChampion idiots thought they'd handle everything, that we were noobs! Ha!"

David Russell (Terra Firma) spoke up "Give it a rest Kevin."

Kevin turned. "Where were you when Steph was getting her brains blasted in? Or you Thomas? Those fancy gravity powers might have been useful... Sarah, hiding here on the jet. Guess what? That giant locust thing breathed fire! Fancy that? Jeremy, I saw you used your luck powers to protect yourself. Damn. There's only me, him and her on this team with any balls, and I got the sh*t kicked outta me tryin' to make sure this team don't get treated like a laughin' stock. Where'd that get me? That jerk Champion says I'm a liability, a waste of space, can't follow orders, a loose cannon."

"Stuff this. I quit. I'll go it alone." said Surge as he sagged into a seat, arms crossed. "When she gets back on her feet I'll see if she wants to go with me. Surge n Reflex. We'll learn, the hard way, but at least we'll be trying. Most of you lot hide or do nothing, don't know which is worse." He hawked and spat on the floor of the jet.

"Drop me off somewhere Boss. The air in here stinks." muttered Kevin.

OOC END OF ISSUE 4

Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Steeple_jackuk Thu Dec 10 2015, 08:27

Admin wrote:"Drop me off somewhere Boss. The air in here stinks."  muttered Kevin.

OOC: Ah man I was going to blast into Surge, Kevin for his offish behaviour. But I can see in getting him out, you're following a natural trajectory for the character. No doubt one in which he'll either be a villain, hunted by those who captured him before or in need of rescue! Either way, you played him well, his king sized ego, was in danger or dominating the other characters who being more placid and circumspect haven't had the same chance to shine. However I hope that Frostbites reaction would also be tempered by his experience. Seeing Kevin as eager to prove himself and therefore not willing to crush him, more like a father can be patient if somewhat exasperated with a son straining to take a wider responsibility than his father knows he can cope with. In the end, not only because I cannot keep him against his will, Frostbite would let Kevin go, simply because the most effective lesson he could learn might be in the school of hard knocks. Hopefully it won't make him bitter, or broken though.

Anyway I'll await developments.

Sj
Steeple_jackuk
Steeple_jackuk
Cosmic Level

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 4 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4