The Vanguard Play by Post Roleplaying Game
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Jade Hood and Stone Fist issue #3 (System tryout)

3 posters

Page 9 of 9 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9

Go down

Jade Hood and Stone Fist issue #3 (System tryout)  - Page 9 Empty Re: Jade Hood and Stone Fist issue #3 (System tryout)

Post  Steeple_jackuk Wed Aug 22 2012, 15:12

Admin wrote:[color=blue]Despite reeling from the blows, Jade Hood ducks and spins, rolling away from a kick and rising to his feet!

[i]OOC Jade Hood is on 1/12 health and 2/5 effort poitns. Lara is getting closer, he faces two guards now with the others running for cover. It is getting hot in here! Your actions. Stone Fist is on 17 health, 4/5 effort

Jade Hood puts up a hand grateful for Laura's intervention but mindful of his own survival. Laura if you can get closer to Stone Fist, but not too close so you can weaken his bonds, he can break free. I'll take care of these two."

He said as he then attempted to dodge away from them and recover enough distance to lash out with more throwing stars.

OOC:
Wow talk about a beating, this is about as close as I've got to being knocked out. Anyway dodge away to use ranged attacks and hopefully keep these guys busy. Out of interest how fast can I recover - HP/Body whatever health is?

Sj

Steeple_jackuk
Steeple_jackuk
Cosmic Level

Back to top Go down

Jade Hood and Stone Fist issue #3 (System tryout)  - Page 9 Empty Re: Jade Hood and Stone Fist issue #3 (System tryout)

Post  DavidMcMahon Wed Aug 22 2012, 21:27

Stone Fist will try 3 effort points this time and hope for the best.
DavidMcMahon
DavidMcMahon
Cosmic Level

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Thu Aug 23 2012, 00:22

Jade Hood, having dodged the blows form the goons, turns and heads deeper into the room, ducking around panicking goons who throw water and sand on the flames only to see their efforts in vain as the fire seems to be spreading out of control! With blinding smoke and running people everywhere, Jade Hood easily runs around the Vat, unseen, to catch his breath. Then he hears screams - the people in cages! They risk being burnt alive!

Lara, having heard Jade Hood, seems to falter. "What? Oh! All this fire! And those people!"

All of a sudden the heat in the place seemed to ratchet down a notch, and the larger fires died down somewhat. The smaller ones sizzled as fresh water was tossed on them, and it became clear that the flames were somehow linked to Lara Lamonts state of mind - angrier, hotter, calmer, cooler!

Stone Fist was still too close to searing flames for comfort though, and sucked in a great breath of air before grinding his teeth down hard and expanding his great chest to shatter his bonds! he HAD to break free, especially as there were three guards rushing towards him with knives drawn!

OOC Strength 5 + Roll 9,4,8,7,10 (19) = 24. The bonds shatter! Stone Fist on 1/5 effort, Jade Hood recovers an effort point to 3/5. Jade Hood can make an emergency recovery roll once per hour, but it won't be easy - it's his Body (3) against the number of points of damage he's taken (11). He can use effort points and the difference between his score and the damage score are the number of points of health he recovers. that's an 'on the fly' ruling and I'll come up with something better in my notes but it'll do for now. Let me know if you want to try it. You only get one attempt per hour, mind.

POW! the leather bonds shear clean through, thanks to Stone Fists mighty strength! He pulls the shattered bonds aside and just in time, too - he's confronted by three guards!

On the other side of the Vat, Jade Hood sees two guards moving towards a nearby cage, pulling up machine guns - they intend to silence the prisoners!

OOC initiaitve 5,2 + CS9 for bad guys (16). Jade Hood gets 8,1 + CS11 (20) and Stone Fist 5,6 + CS9 (20). Lara gets 5,2 + CS9 (16) and goes at the same time as the bad guys. She's somewhat flustered but no dummy - she'll get the hang of her powers if she gets chance, but wait...

Baron Bloot, having finally put the fire out on his body, is a blackened charred monster who glares through the smoke and flames... "KILL THEMMMMMMMM!" he screams! And charges at Lara!

Admin
Admin
Admin

https://darkeningshadows.darkbb.com

Back to top Go down

Post  DavidMcMahon Thu Aug 23 2012, 01:04

Baron Bloot, having finally put the fire out on his body, is a blackened charred monster who glares through the smoke and flames... "KILL THEMMMMMMMM!" he screams! And charges at Lara!

"Hey! Stay away from that lady," Stone Fist roars. "I haven't had a chance to ask her out on a date yet!"

He charges.

actions: Trying for a "drive-by attack" or a "charge through" attack or something. Not sure what to call it. Basically, he is going to smash into the three guards with the intent of knocking them over, not really trying for damage, and continue driving for Baron Bloot. Sort of like a lineman in American football attempting to charge through the other line to get at the quaterback to sack him. Then do a classic flying tackle on the Baron.

put my last point into attack.
DavidMcMahon
DavidMcMahon
Cosmic Level

Back to top Go down

Post  Steeple_jackuk Thu Aug 23 2012, 09:36

Meanwhile Jade Hood took out two more throwing stars and launched them at the guards seeking to frustrate or even disable their aim on the prisoners.

OOC:1 effort point to accuracy for the attack otherwise lets see what happens, I'll move closer to try and get the best possible angle on them and or put myself in harms way if need be.

Sj
Steeple_jackuk
Steeple_jackuk
Cosmic Level

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Thu Aug 23 2012, 23:07

OOC Stone Fist - charging three guards, then Baron Bloot is effectively a multi attack, so nothing too complex there. If SF could move at speed he could substitute that for damage instead of his strength. Right, 1 effort point, you'll need a very high roll to crash through the first few guys, never mind Bloot! Still, stranger things have happened... Multi attack (+4 modifier). Bloots CS12 is highest, so that gets used, as is his Body (5) and Toughness (4) giving 9 resistance.CS12 + 4 + Roll 9,6 (15) = 31 Defence. Stone Fists attack CS9 + Brawling 3 + Roll 4,2,6 (10) = 22

In his haste to crash into the guards AND Baron Bloot, Stone Fist clumsily charges head down, telegraphing his move and allowing the goons to step aside! Furthermore he runs past Baron Bloot and skids to a halt, whipping his head round... as Bloot turns from lara (OOC at least he distracted him) and hurled a huge fist at his foe!

"Vy vill you not STAY DOWN!" he growled, monstrous face all blistered and burnt from the fire!

OOC Bloot CS12 + Brawling 2 + Effort point (he's on 9/10) + Roll 3,6,10 (16) = 30 -2 for changing his action vs Stone Fists Defence CS9 + Roll 5,2 (7) = 16. Damage is 4 accuracy + 7 Strength + Roll 8,4 (12)= 23. Stone Fists defense is Body 4 + Tough Skin 3 + Roll 8,6 (14) = 21. Stone Fist takes 2 points of damage, putting him on 15/17 Health and 0/5 Effort.

Mindful that he was 'one shotted' Stone Fist is wary of Bloots power, but the blow appears to be a glancing one as the man was caught slightly wrong footed. Even so, he is now - once again - pitted against the monstrous, merciless foe, who seems more enraged and insane than ever!

Meanwhile Jade Hood tosses throwing stars at two more targets, mindful that he has only 5 throwing stars left...

OOC JH Martial Arts 7 + CS11 + Roll 10,10,3 (20, double!) plus roll 8,1 (9) = 47 vs Goons CS9 + 2 Modifier + Roll 10,7 (17) = 28. Damage is 7 Accuracy + 3 Strength + 3 Throwing Stars plus roll 5,7 (12) = 25. Resistance is Modifier +2 + Roll 1,7 (8) = 10. Both goons take 15 points of damage and go down!

Seeing both stars puncture the eyes of the goons, and the pair dropping like stones, Jade Hood looks down at them sadly, preferring not to kill but knowing that to save the helpless captives, he had no choice! he looks around and sees his friend struggling against Baron Bloot!

Meanwhile Lara calls out "Stop! Stop all this fighting! These people must be freed!"

Her flames grow hotter, and brighter... and her feet leave the ground as the flames erupt below her! With a scream she takes to the air and floats amongst the rafters of this large room like a rocket! her flames spray downwards and catch the three goons unawares, sending them sprawling and rolling to put fires out! With waving hands and crying out in panic, Lara wobbles through the air...

Both Jade Hood and Stone Fist can see that she;s heading towards that big green bubbling vat...

OOC initiative... Bad Guys (Bloot CS12, Goons 9) roll 1,7 (Bloot 20, Goons 17). Good guys (Jade Hood CS11, Stone Fist CS9, Lara Lamont CS9) roll 6,3 (Jade Hood 20, Stone Fist 18, Lara 18). Bloot and Jade Hood act first... Jade Hood is on 2/5 effort, 1/12 Health. Stone Fist is on 0/5 effort, 15/17 health. Baron Bloot is on 22 Health, 9/10 effort. Lara is on 11 Health, 0/5 effort.
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Steeple_jackuk Fri Aug 24 2012, 08:17

Admin wrote:
Both Jade Hood and Stone Fist can see that she;s heading towards that big green bubbling vat...

OOC initiative... Bad Guys (Bloot CS12, Goons 9) roll 1,7 (Bloot 20, Goons 17). Good guys (Jade Hood CS11, Stone Fist CS9, Lara Lamont CS9) roll 6,3 (Jade Hood 20, Stone Fist 18, Lara 18). Bloot and Jade Hood act first... Jade Hood is on 2/5 effort, 1/12 Health. Stone Fist is on 0/5 effort, 15/17 health. Baron Bloot is on 22 Health, 9/10 effort. Lara is on 11 Health, 0/5 effort.

Moving quickly, Jade Hood made his way to the prisoners, using the cutting tool he'd been given by the doctor to free them from both their bonds and the locked cages. Once he directed them to the nearest exit... OOC: Assuming of course they can get out unmolested, if not Stone Fist will be on his own for longer at this rate. He returned to see if he could seek out Cheyne and help his friend along the way, weary of Laura flaming form high above.

Sj
Steeple_jackuk
Steeple_jackuk
Cosmic Level

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Sat Aug 25 2012, 00:42

Jade Hood danced around clumps of flames on the floor, aware that the noise of the bubbling serum suggested it was reaching some critical point! He reached up to burn through the lock of the first cage, and helped the weakened Egyptian locals from the cage. They were unsteady on their feet and Jade Hood bit back a curse - they would need help getting out of here, and when the guards stopped fighting fires, they would be easy prey once more!

OOC Jade Hood is now on 3/5 effort. Remember the 'desperation recovery' check you can make, but bear in mind its once per hour and you are pitting Roll + 3 vs Roll + 11, so need a great roll to overcome that deficit! The more effort points you can throw in, the better. A single point of damage will knock Jade Hood out, and another hit like he took to take this damage might kill him!

Baron Bloot swings again at Stone Fist! The big man catches Stone Fist with a solid strike to the head, and Stone Fist staggers back. His bulletproof skin is being put to the test by this deranged monster!

OOC effort point to hit. CS12 + Brawling 2 + Roll 1,4,8 (12) = 26. Stone Fists defense CS9 + Roll 4,9 (13) = 22. Hit for 2 Accuracy + 7 Strength + Roll 1,8 (9) = 18. Stone Fists defense is Body 4 + Tough Skin 3 + Roll 6,3 (9) = 16. Stone Fist takes another 2 damage putting him on 13/17 Health. Baron Bloot is on 8/10 effort. STONE FISTS action
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  DavidMcMahon Sat Aug 25 2012, 00:52

I think Stone Fist is strong enough to pick up the Baron so he is going to grab the Baron and throw him into the vat. All effort points into grabbing and throwing.
DavidMcMahon
DavidMcMahon
Cosmic Level

Back to top Go down

Post  Steeple_jackuk Sat Aug 25 2012, 09:18

Admin wrote:Jade Hood
OOC Jade Hood is now on 3/5 effort. Remember the 'desperation recovery' check you can make, but bear in mind its once per hour and you are pitting Roll + 3 vs Roll + 11, so need a great roll to overcome that deficit! The more effort points you can throw in, the better. A single point of damage will knock Jade Hood out, and another hit like he took to take this damage might kill him!

OOC:
Ok put all my effort points into a desperation recovery, I'll need to be more than fighting fit to be of any use and to get us out of here.

I guess if I succeed then once I've got the men free its time to get back into the fight so that these prisoners won't be a target, and that we can then try and get them out. If I fail however I'm not sure what I'll do, as I'll be of little use saving to go around picking up my throwing stars and trying to range Bloot from the sidelines or and his men.

Sj
Steeple_jackuk
Steeple_jackuk
Cosmic Level

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Sat Aug 25 2012, 14:11

OOC Stone Fist has no effort points remaining, but recovers one this round. So it's CS9 + Brawling 3 + Roll 10,7 (17) = 29 vs Baron Bloot (using 2 effort to avoid) CS12 + Roll 1,6,7,2 (13) = 25. Stone Fist GRABS Baron Bloot... now it's a contest of strength. Both can throw the other, but if both are resisting, it's a straight up strength vs strength and the winner tosses the loser! Stone Fist Strength 5 + Roll 4,4 (8, double!) plus roll 10,2 (12)= 25! looking good! Bloot uses another effort point (now on 5/10) to resist being thrown. Strength 7 + Roll 7,6,1 (13) = 20! Stone Fist tosses him through the air! Does he hit the vat? CS9 + Roll 3,7 (10)...

Stone Fist moves in, grasping his enemy! The two grapple for a moment, then Stone Fist arches his back, twists and tosses Baron Bloot backwards towards the vat! The huge man flails his arms and legs, crying out as he flies over the heads of his guards and KER SPLOOSH! Lands in the bubbling vat of green ooze!

The guards stop trying to fight fires and look over to the vat. Stone Fist is curious too, as to what will happen.

OOC Jade Hood tries to recover. Every success heals 1 point of health. Body 3 + Roll (using 3 effort points) 10,3,8,7,3 (this is tricky - double or high roll of 18? I want your call on that!) vs healing target of 11 + Roll 7,3 (10). Actually, that decides things. He needs more than 21 to heal any health, so needs the double 3 and a decent second roll. 6,5 (11). Worked out less than the high roll. Jade Hood recovers NOTHING, has 0/5 effort points and cannot recover again for an hour! No one said being a hero would be easy!

Gasping, trying to shake some life into his limbs, and gather his strength for a second wind, Jade Hood sags back. He's too wounded, and knows only time can help him recover!

Just then Lara weaves through the air, crying out as she loses control of her ungainly flight!

The flames bursting from the bottom of her feet touch the liquid in the vat...

Jade Hood and Stone Fist issue #3 (System tryout)  - Page 9 Thumb_kaboom

Everything goes dark as the ceiling caves in and fires break out everywhere!

=========

Time passed...

Distant voices called out, and Stone Fist groaned. Something sharp jutted into his ribs, and he couldn't move. Exerting his considerable strength, he shifted the heavy wooden beams and bricks off himself, and sunlight shone through from above! Cries rang out and other hands reached for him, pulling rubble away! Coughing, he raised his head to behold a scene of devastation! The building had been destroyed, and the wreckage - beams, bricks, dust, shattered concrete, lay all about!

He tried to move, then groaned. His skin had protected him - up to its limits. He could feel a broken rib or two, and wondered if his legs were, but a quick wiggle of the toes revealed he was just about in one piece.

Staggering to his feet, and ignoring calls to rest from the locals, he joined in with Egyptian volunteers and police to sift through the rubble and find his friends...

=========

"Cough! Cough!"

Stone Fist sagged back, relieved. Jade Hood had been pale and limp when he found him. 10 minutes later, a doctor had brought him round. His friend had a broken arm, and some burns to his back, but had been lucky! Other were being dragged out of the wreckage, and were less lucky, but surprisingly a lot of the prisoners had survived - the cages had protected them from the building caving in!

Now, lying back on a stretcher, Jade Hood beheld his friend - covered in dust and blood, but alive. He asked the question with a croaking voice "Lara? Chayne? Bloot?"

Stone Fist shook his head. "Chayne..." He looked across the rubble. "No sign of Lara."

"Or Bloot."

As Jade Hood was taken away to be treated in a hospital, Stone Fist looked across the rubble, then helped moving the heavier stuff.

Baron Bloots plan, to create a superhuman army of monsters, had been thwarted, perhaps for good!

Unseen, the invisible Doctor watched from a safe distance. His mission was the same - to set into motion a series of events in the past that would save his future! He considered asking Stone Fist, then looked over to the ambulance about to drive away!

"Wait!" he said as he materialized from thin air. "I can help! I'm a Doctor!" he shouted, as he was ushered through the crowd towards the ambulance...

END OF ISSUE #3

OOC I need to change some rules and get something to use as a handout. Skills are changed. They act like effort points do now, so add extra dice instead of a modifier to a roll. Only stats and powers modify rolls. I'm thinking of dropping effort points and using a finite pool for you to draw on, instead of one that replenishes. And I want to give you a list of powers and abilities in case you fancy making your own characters...
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Steeple_jackuk Sun Aug 26 2012, 15:42

Admin wrote:END OF ISSUE #3

OOC I need to change some rules and get something to use as a handout. Skills are changed. They act like effort points do now, so add extra dice instead of a modifier to a roll. Only stats and powers modify rolls. I'm thinking of dropping effort points and using a finite pool for you to draw on, instead of one that replenishes. And I want to give you a list of powers and abilities in case you fancy making your own characters...

Talk about leaving it on a cliff hanger, wow. Don't mind what rules you change, I'm happy just to play whatever. So I think its more a question of how you feel it best represents what you intend. However when trying something knew we can, I guess at least determine whether we think it works better or worse and make an comment on that score.

Anyway, its funny how this was only ever meant to be a test bed for new rules but has turned into a campaign all on its own as well. I've loved the contrast between this and or other characters. Even the time period feels different. Be interesting to see what you've got in mind with regard to the future.

Sj
Steeple_jackuk
Steeple_jackuk
Cosmic Level

Back to top Go down

Post  DavidMcMahon Sun Aug 26 2012, 18:00

What he said! I love you
DavidMcMahon
DavidMcMahon
Cosmic Level

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 9 of 9 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9