The Vanguard Play by Post Roleplaying Game
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

World War II - The Vanguard Issue #5 Battle of the Queens!

3 posters

Page 1 of 5 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Go down

World War II - The Vanguard Issue #5 Battle of the Queens! Empty World War II - The Vanguard Issue #5 Battle of the Queens!

Post  Admin Fri Dec 16 2011, 23:01

OOC Both Frostbite and Silver Sentinel get to add one power grade. This can be used to increase an existing power or buy a new power. To purchase a power that costs 2 grades, you'll have to hang on to this increase till the next time you get an upgrade. You also see a rise of one point in your Weapon Class (effectively, your fighting skill) because you've been doing so much of it. Choose the boost to go with your standard melee attacks OR your energy attack, not both. Will update character sheets once I know what you go with. Dave, the power can go either on your modern (current, more powerful version) or your WWII version of Frostbite. Both versions get the WC increase. It's a weird/tricky one with him being split into two.

World War II - The Vanguard Issue #5 Battle of the Queens! Vanguard_Battle_of_the_Queens

Silver Sentinel glanced out of the towers window. Behind him the room was full of Knights, Barons, Wizards, Elves, Priests and a myriad assortment of others, including several diminutive, angry looking tatooed Dwarves who stared with some venom at a bearded red haired man in robes across the room. The man was apparently Frostbites companion, but from where or whence he'd come, Steve Jenson wasn't sure.

The voices of those present were raised, and the conversation heated. Some seemed to doubt the level of the threat that the land of Albion faced, others disputed the legitimacy of the Queens reign. Still more voted that both Morgana and her evil counterpart, Morrigan, both be struck down or banished!

An area of the market had been cleared for Sentinels' impromptu army of trolls. Town guards watched them from a respectable distance, but each man looked tiny compared to but a single one of the trolls, and there were hundreds of them! They were eating the produce of the local butchers, who'd not been best pleased to find their produce was being bought for rock bottom price, by order of the Duke, in order to feed the Queens unlikely new allies. His gaze roamed further, to a park, where the Elven Rangers sat in a circle around a fire, mourning their dead. One of them seemed to know instinctually that he was being watched, and glanced up at the distant tower of the keep.

Sentinel held his gaze for a moment more and turned away, looking to see the icy blue form of his friend... No. An alternate version of his friend, albeit one he trusted, walk into the room with the Queen and her advisors. Frostbite bowed his head in respect to the Queen as she was led to the Dukes throne, which he'd ceded to the monarch, then moved over to join Sentinel.

The man with the red beard joined them. He had a half smile on his face, and his eyes seemed vaguely... reptillian? "Raspandarr." he introduced himself as. "I'm a dragon. I wear this form for convenience." He looked about the room. "You're doomed. No one seems able to decide how best to combat the Dark Queen, or even if there is a threat at all! I am living proof that the magic spits out an evil counterpart to the good, though I must admit, I haven't done much evil lately. Haven't done much of anything. I was rather looking forward to putting the city to the flame but my 'Dark master' there" he said nodding towards Frostbite "Seems to be occupied." he turned to look at Elesieth. "I do so love a beautiful maiden. Usually garnished with fine wine and screamed dry, having accepted her fate. Makes them more relaxed, less chewy. You don't get them stuck in your teeth then."

Theruss the mage came over. He was a small, nervous looking man who glanced up at the disguised dragon and shuffled a few steps away from him. The dragon flicked his snakes tongue out, theatrically, making the little man jump. He mopped his brow, then turned to Silver Sentinel and Frostbite. "We're doomed. No one seems able to make their mind up, and the Queen is shaken by her kidnapping. If Morrigan really is gathering dark forces and wanting to use Morgana's power as well as her own, can even you... both of you, stop her?"

The answer died on the Vanguardians lips as a sensechal banged his staff on the floor. "Silence! The Queen will address you!"

All knelt - some reluctantly - as the Queen rose.

She gazed across the room at those gathered, and lingered on frostbite for a moment, before continuing her glance. Elesieth the brave, noble warrior/wizard was gone now, replaced by the head of state who must unite and rally her people against a threat they believed did not exist!

"I thank you for your haste in getting here. You are the most powerful warriors, land owners, wizards and priests in this part of the country. I shall make my words plain, and to the point. A powerful magic has healed our land... and broken it! For the magic itself is neither good, nor evil. It seeks merely to restore the balance between the two, and so our Queen, Morgana, was somehow copied. There exists an evil twin of her. It is that woman, called Morrigan, who arranged to have both the Queen, and I her, stand in, kidnapped for her own evil ends. She has also summoned evil creatures from across the realm to her banner. They will take time to gather, but my friends..."

"The Elves!" spat a Dwarf, hawking and spitting on the floor. "Worthless Elves! What good their word, eh? We Dwarves will not lend our axes to those who walk with DRAGONS!" he bellowed, and pointed at Raspandarr.

For his part, as the room behind erupted in uproar with arguments and counter arguments, Raspandarr rolled his eyes and picked at his teeth. "Pox ridden dwarves. I swear they give me indigestion." He looked at the Vanguardians then shrugged. "What? I get hungry, and can't have those idiots chase me round with axes all the time! They might have someones eye out with those things. Inbred idiots."

Behind the disguised dragon, things looked like they were getting heated, with some pushing and shoving taking place...
Admin
Admin
Admin

https://darkeningshadows.darkbb.com

Back to top Go down

World War II - The Vanguard Issue #5 Battle of the Queens! Empty Re: World War II - The Vanguard Issue #5 Battle of the Queens!

Post  Steeple_jackuk Sat Dec 17 2011, 08:11

Admin wrote:OOC: Both Frostbite and Silver Sentinel get to add one power grade.This can be used to increase an existing power or buy a new power.

Ok that is easy for me, I go with strength grade 1, that way when I upgrade its less cost, but in the meantime means I have another means of attack when I've not got the dark power in force.

Ok down to dramatic interruptions and bickering forces.

=====

Moving forward, toward the head of the crowd, with a nod toward Elsieth for permission, Frostbite moved to the Queen's side.

Then raising his voice for effect, he called on those present.

"And this is why we will fall...And why Mordred was able to conqurer your lands before Moraggan...And why you're backs will be bent under the load of a new oppressor and your proud defiance this day will come to choke you, when she has won.

Free peoples you are, but freedom is a prize that right now is going to stolen from under your very noses, unless you see that we are ripe for the taking whilst we are divided and a single enemy exists who will subjugate you all. An evil that would seek more than food, or wealth and will not stop until they are on control over your very breath. For a hunger gnaws at them, drives them with a demonic passion to steal that which you prize most, your freedom.

Yes we are unlikely allies, but these are unlike times ever before. Friends we might not be, but allies we must be for the sake of our communities, our families and all that we hold dear. For this day, I tell you will either be the fulcrum upon which the destiny of all free people will turn into a new chapter, or forever be damned to darkness and enslavement.

If you think such words are folly, such a threat is of no consequence, remember how the same things were said of Mordred before his foul beasts and his army of dark hearts took over. Think carefully, think well, for you will either come to rue this day as when you stumbled or rejoice for your foresightedness and clear thinking.

I suggest you go, consider what is going on here, look how enemies are rallied to this cause and consider carefully what you would do!"

With that Frostbite made a swift bow to the Elsieth rejoined his companions over to one side.

OOC:

Ok I wish there were a series of checks I could make, like a skill test, to see if I can pursuade this lot to think again. I write this stuff with no mechanical back up or presumably dice rolls to go against that might help these folk see my way or come aboard or at least let me know if I failed by how much?

Something to think about for the future. As a leader, Frostbite has had to do more than one of this pretty speeches - with varying degrees of success.

Sj
Steeple_jackuk
Steeple_jackuk
Cosmic Level

Back to top Go down

World War II - The Vanguard Issue #5 Battle of the Queens! Empty Re: World War II - The Vanguard Issue #5 Battle of the Queens!

Post  smaug Sat Dec 17 2011, 23:15

OOC: Battle of the queens! Are we in Vegas now? Sorry......sorry I didnt come up with anything better I mean.

Regards upgrades, can I up grade my metal manipulation so I can form extensions of my armour e.g. a shield to protect others, throw & give me defence bonus. Obviously needs a down side like a time scale once per day or something
Or/& a sword, same applies attack bonus but time limit
Or/& projectiles, would weaken defence though as would b taking metal from the suit.

Properly way to far fetched, if so extra speed would be nice and as for the weapon class better make it melee I think as a good back up.

IC: "Good speech old boy" sentinel said, standing ridged as usual cross armed and still in his alien armour mostly for show, leaning in to whisper in frostbites ear as he returned from the queens side "think it'll work?"

smaug
Class 4 Hero (Powerful Superhuman)

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Sun Dec 18 2011, 23:39

OOC Speech did the trick, nice one Smile With regards upgrades Frostbite WWII version gets the upgrade I expect (as opposed to 'old' future Frostbite). With regards Silver Sentinel, I'll cook up something that should see you able to craft basic shapes and weapons from metal with a wave of your hand - you can dole them out as you see fit. Won't make the recipient (or you!) be an expert with them of course, but could make you mighty handy when you need an armies worth of weapons...

The room goes silent.

Elesieth looked from noble to noble, even to the angry Dwarves, then back at Frostbite and nodded. She stood, before the voices of those gathered could begin anew.

"An outlander comes to tell us what we should already know! I am your Queen! Until Morgana is restored, she left me to safeguard the realm, and I say this! With or without you, I march to the North and East to confront Morrigan! Know that if I fail, she will come to you! She will demand you bend the knee, give blood sacrifice, then over time take away everything you have, including your lives, before looking further afield, for she will know there are other worlds to conquer! This man and his companions, this Frostbite, is a ... friend... and more! He is a power which few can compare against! And yet we will need more than that! We will need brave hearts, and keen minds. We will need determination more than anything - determination to fight that which would change our way of life completely! I send this out not just to the knights and lords in this room, but to the man in the street, the farmer in their field, the woman tending children. More than that, the creatures in the forest, even those whom before we would have called evil and hunted! For know this - Morrigan will not care who or what you were before she casts a shadow over this land. You will be hers to use as she will, or you will die."

"How do you know this, puppet Queen?" sneered a young lording, dabbing his mouth with a handkerchief as he stood near a Dwarf.

Elesieth didn't rise to the insult. Instead she smiled. "Because all of you remember the dark time, when Morgana was selfish, evil and power hungry. Magnify that, and you get an idea of what Morrigan is about. She is Morgana, but without any shred of humanity, compassion or empathy. As far as she is concerned... you are all slaves or dead men in waiting."

That silenced the arrogant lordling, and he was amongst the first to bow, his face pale, as Elesieth swept past him to leave the throne room!

Raspandarr rose with everyone else and leaned into Frostbite. "She's learning. The problem is, will she have time to learn the hardest lessons?"

=========

Later that afternoon, after hours of being locked in talks with nobles and knights, the Queen emerged, wearing silver armour and girded for war!

She strode out into the courtyard and mounted a winged horse, looking magnificent, awe inspiring and determined! She wasn't alone. Warriors had been flocking to the cause for hours, and now there was a sea of men camped outside the city walls. People came to windows, doors, stood in the street. Some showered the Queen with flowers, others with shouts of luck and prayers.

Frostbite watched her ride up, to pass his position, and she paused. The column continued slowly on as the Queen waved them past. "I have a task for you, my brave Knight from elsewhere! Find me an army! Send them to battle with us! Our numbers... we estimate a force of several thousand." She sighed, the time constraints and responsibility of rulership weighing down on her. "It's not enough. Reports are coming in of hordes heading north to Morrigans banner. We need troops of quality, or sheer numbers. Both would be nice! The Grails power grants me magic but... but it doesn't grant me wisdom or the experience I need to wield it! Help me Joe!" she said, leaning down and pressing her gauntleted hand in to his. "You already have, in more ways than you can imagine, but I am ashamed to ask... ask for... for more. Do it not for me, but for the man and woman in the street or the farm, even for the goblin or troll that haunts our forest! They cannot help what they are! We call them evil, but in truth, they never had anything else! Perhaps this cause is the one thing that can break the cycle of chaos in Albion! Maybe, by fighting Morrigan, a new peace and way of life can be forged! It is a dream I have... one amongst several..." She gazed into Joes icy cold eyes. "The others will have to wait a while longer..."

Her eyes misted up, and she straightened, becoming more regal in her look. She nodded to Silver Sentinel. "My thanks again for the rescue, Sir Knight! I hope and pray you will stand alongside me on the field of battle! This is not your fight, but I say this to you - if we win, you shall have a force to follow you through the gate to fight your battle for you!" She nodded at the pair again, then gee'd the horse on, and upwards*

Soldiers marched past Frostbite, Sentinel, Raspandarr, the Crimson Legion and the Troll Chiefs. The Dragon was the first to speak. "Find her an army?" It pondered. "There are options, but you may not like them!"

The Crimson Legion stood silent, helmets down, swords sheathed. The leader, Elisa stepped forward. "Know this, outlanders. We follow you because you have proven beyond doubt your power. We believe you to be stronger than Morrigan, but if she prevails, we shall align ourselves to her. Nothing personal you understand..."

The Dragon chuckled. "Options then. You want options?"

World War II - The Vanguard Issue #5 Battle of the Queens! Map_2

1) The pirates of the Pelluria - they are fierce warriors, the scum of a dozen nations and more besides! They would fight for no cause but gold! But they honour a deal, and are a ready made force of a thousand or more spread across a fleet, all expert fighting men!

2) The goblins of The Veradeen forest. They have never been united, and number in the thousands, scattered into tribes of unintelligent, cowardly creatures that only present a threat in numbers, That said, no one has counted their numbers. If the Dark Queen gets to them before you do, she will call on them to support her! To win them over, you would have to make them fear you more than they fear her!

3) A Necromancer in the Westlands is said to be able to call upon the fallen to do his bidding. He would not willingly give his service for free unless he were granted some prize or boon however...

4) The Giants of Highhorn Mountains call no man - or beast - master. They are powerful and fight with the power and strength of a hundred men each though. When they hurl boulders, even I in my true form would keep my distance!

5) The Highhorn mountains are also home to high concentrations of Dragons, each fiercely territorial and jealous of the other! I was born of magic - they will see me for the construct I am! There must be, among them, a King though. Dragons are fierce and solitary. To bind them into a force you would have to give them something they do not already have or want. What that could be, for a creature that is effectively immortal and has few or no natural predators save foolish adventurers, I cannot say!

The Dragon/shapechanged human shrugged. "Told you the options would not be palatable..."

*OOC feel free to interject with conversation if need be.
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Steeple_jackuk Mon Dec 19 2011, 14:28

As Elsieth moved of, Frostbite stood slightly more fixed than he might otherwise have been. As if steeling himself. It was evident to those who knew him, he was more deeply affected by his feelings than he cared to admit. No doubt in part because the Joe she knew had been brought to the fore, the desire to live and love was strong. He was quickly brought back to the present...

Admin wrote:The Crimson Legion stood silent, helmets down, swords sheathed. The leader, Elisa stepped forward. "Know this, outlanders. We follow you because you have proven beyond doubt your power. We believe you to be stronger than Morrigan, but if she prevails, we shall align ourselves to her. Nothing personal you understand..."

"Well you're nothing if not honest Elisa. I hope we won't disappoint you!" Frostbite said with roguish smile, despite the odds against them.

Admin wrote:The Dragon chuckled. "Options then. You want options?"

1) The pirates of the Pelluria
2) The goblins of The Veradeen forest.
3) A Necromancer in the Westlands
4) The Giants of Highhorn Mountains
5) The Highhorn mountains are also home to high concentrations of Dragons,

The Dragon/shapechanged human shrugged. "Told you the options would not be palatable..."

Frostbite nodded to Raspandarr grateful for his comments and the foresite that they contained. Turning to Silver Sentinel, Frostbite nodded for them to come away.

"Its not an easy choice, and I fear we'll have to split up again. The Giants and the Dragons are in one place, I think it might be best to try and take them whilst, I can see from the maps we've seen the Pirates, can sail up to Garstang. Having them onboard might make the difference in transporting our forces.

I don't like leaving possible allies, to become enemies. This Necromancer troubles me. And though I don't fear the goblins if their is sufficient numbers of them they may be a formidable force. But uniting them might take more time than we can afford.

What do you think?

OOC:

I've delayed posting pretty much all day to give myself time to think about this, but truth is all of these options seem good to me, but some clearly 'sound' better than others, but that may turn out to be incorrect. Since I don't know much about their comparative merits, I'll have to go by what I think might work best.

I think that Sentinel can let loose with the Pirates, if that fails/suceeds either way then that leaves the chance of gathering the Goblins as you did the trolls or the Necromancer. But between us, it might we can get four out of the five, or at least try. There is no telling whether these forces have already picked a side.

Anyway Ross let me know what you think, but I think I'm, going for the Dragons and the Hill Giants. I'll take Raspandarr so far, then leave him to go check on Sentinel. If I go for the Hill Giants first then go on to the Dragons? But we'll have to wait and see, Paul is always so sneaky and nothing is as easy at it might at first seem.

Sj
Steeple_jackuk
Steeple_jackuk
Cosmic Level

Back to top Go down

Post  smaug Tue Dec 20 2011, 23:17

OOC: Yeah sounds good, my thinking is pirates wouldnt have a lot that would do masses of damage to sentinel, no magic, trolls or wraiths worse case cannon balls and muskets (no doubt Paul will prove me wrong).
Same goes for the goblins.....although bet they have a shaman, witch doctor or something. Im sure the silver sentinel can handle anything and between you guys and me I dont think sentinel really wants to take on a dragon, although he would pretend other wise and play it cool.

smaug

Back to top Go down

Post  Steeple_jackuk Wed Dec 21 2011, 07:14

smaug wrote:OOC: Yeah sounds good, my thinking is pirates wouldnt have a lot that would do masses of damage to sentinel, no magic, trolls or wraiths worse case cannon balls and muskets (no doubt Paul will prove me wrong).
Same goes for the goblins.....although bet they have a shaman, witch doctor or something. Im sure the silver sentinel can handle anything and between you guys and me I dont think sentinel really wants to take on a dragon, although he would pretend other wise and play it cool.

And also you need to think about how the dark power can remove the restriction on metal. What if you could use your power to do as you with anything? Imagine wood warped, or grown, leather, or any other ore, rock or water even. You could be like some sort of Elemental controller. The point is don't let yourself get stuck in thinking there isn't options. The dark power can be used at present relatively easily with the use of hero points to overcome the side effects of a bad roll and can be all the difference between succeeding or not. Especially within a world where there isn't a lot of metal.

OK so you'll go for Pirates. Great.

See you tonight Ross

Sj
Steeple_jackuk
Steeple_jackuk
Cosmic Level

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Thu Dec 22 2011, 00:06

With the shake of a hand, and having given orders to the Crimson Legion, Frostbite sat astride the great Dragon and nodded to Theruss. The Mage coughed nervously and smiled "I'll try to keep them all from killing each other, but get back when you can. I don't trust..." he looked about "Anyone actually. We're as likely to slaughter each other than take on the Dark Queen!"

Both Vanguardians consulted maps and got their bearings. Sentinel gave orders to the Trolls who shrugged. They were Trolls, after all. Some would step out of line and be dealt with, but so long as they weren't attacked or betrayed, they would go along with the great army marching North and East.

Finally the Vanguardians set off, apart again.

=========

Frostbite soared on the Dragons back heading north.

They'd been flying for hours, non stop, and even the superhuman had to rest and eat. The Dragon had hunted down a proud stag and 'cooked' it to perfection, though grumbled when it had to share its kill. Once rested for an hour or two, they set off again.

=========

Silver Sentinel was a gleaming arrow streaking low across the sky...

People pointed and looked on in wonder, whilst he scanned about, holding to land marks and occasionally asking directions of travellers - usually merchants - on the road. He joined a caravan of merchants that had been drawn up into a circle for food and rest, and woke refreshed in the morning as the camp started to break. After a wash he reformed his powerful armour about himself, prompting cries of wonder from those who looked on, and with a wave flew off.

==========

The Distant peaks loomed. Even flying the journey had taken 36 hours.

Frostbite ignored the cold - and the Dragons griping, as the beast settled on a flat peak overlooking a mountain range. He changed into human form and shook his head. "Human, god, whatever you are. I hope you know what you are doing! This land belongs to the Giants, and even Dragons do not tarry here! They are fierce, offer and give no quarter and mete out death with boulders and accuracy you can scarce believe. I'll leave you to it."

With a nod the Dragon changed form again and flew off, heading back to join with the army and Silver Sentinel as planned.

Frostbite smiled at his bodies natural urge to shiver. He simply didn't feel the cold at all, but his human brain told him otherwise.

He looked about. Where in this vast mountain range would he find beings admittedly as huge as these giants were said to be?

He didn't have to wait long. The whistle of an incoming missile - an ice coated boulder about the size of a house - alerted him, as did the shadow cast from it which blanked out the sun!

=========

"Pirates you say?" laughed the old man

Silver Sentinel ran a hand through his hair. He'd stopped at the edge of the vast inland sea and couldn't see the banks. Around him a small village got on with its daily routine of fishing and making ends meet. "Head to Altherinn, city along the coast. There seek passage on a ship that crosses the sea. The Pirates will find you."

That was one suggestion - or Silver Sentinel could strike out on his own to find the Pirates but... he looked out over the vast sea. Even from the air, that was a LOT of ground to cover, unless he had another idea...

Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Steeple_jackuk Thu Dec 22 2011, 07:32

Admin wrote:
He looked about. Where in this vast mountain range would he find beings admittedly as huge as these giants were said to be?

He didn't have to wait long. The whistle of an incoming missile - an ice coated boulder about the size of a house - alerted him, as did the shadow cast from it which blanked out the sun!

Frostbite had already anticipated that an attack like this might come, so at the Dragon's warning made himself insubstantial. Resisting the temptation to flinch, he stood boldly as the boulder came in and smashed about him. He waited for its thrower to see it had clearly hit, before rising up from the settling debris and shouting.

"Is that all you've got. Why my blind grandmother can throw better than that, and she's armless!"

OOC:

1. Ok I am assuming that this is a single giant, but am happy to let them throw at me as best they can for now. Once a few boulders have been thrown and the pleasantries are over, I'll fly toward the source.

2. At this point coming over I am thinking of how I can best impress the Giants, strength would be my guess, so I am tempted to use the Dark power get some hefty speed and strength and lift said giant and take them with me up up and away. Drop them and then catch them again. Sort of put the fear of God into them type of thing. But do it playfully with that underlying menace that means I can do far worse.

Sj
Steeple_jackuk
Steeple_jackuk
Cosmic Level

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Thu Dec 22 2011, 23:16

The boulder smashed against the mountainside and Frostbite yelled out his comment after emerging. There was silence after his words had finished echoing around the mountains, but he saw movement several hundred yards away on a distant ridge! Flying over, he saw three giants, each with blue skin and ice for beards and hair, wearing white furs and carrying stalactites. It was only then that Frostbite noticed how cold it really was up here - being immune he simply had even considered it much beyond looking at the ice/snow capped peaks and enjoying the view.

"Human?" rasped one of the giants. And giants they were! Each stood 30' high - at the shoulder! Their arms were colossal, all muscle and sinew, and everything about them reminded Frostbite of an ice coated Viking who'd never stopped growing! The trio looked ready for a fight, but wholly unsure of what it is they were supposed to be fighting! "Or Ghost? Either way, here you are not welcome!"

The three were stood on a wide ledge and nearby lay a pile of bodies - the hunts results for the day. Besides half a dozen moose, there were a couple of large bears, clearly waken from slumber and despite being angry, no match for these fearsome beings! They did seem confused though. Their usual trick - of splattering their enemies with a house sized boulder - didn't usually result in a conversation with their intended victim!
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Steeple_jackuk Fri Dec 23 2011, 07:56

Admin wrote:

"Human?...Or Ghost? Either way, here you are not welcome!"

"Not quite." Frostbite said with a trace of menace in his voice. He wasn't here to parley with lacky's but to make an impression on the Giants. So he continued in the off hand, but still threatening manner,

"Now unless you want to die in a horrible ball of fire, you will address me as your leader and take me to him who I intend to depose. I have come to recruit you and the dragons who call these mountains home. Any questions, before the inevitable fight?"

OOC:

1. 1. Ok so on my way over I had been preparing to take on the dark power if need be, since I imagine I am going to have to kick but. If that is the case I want to take on two extra grades of strength, 2 of vigour and 2 and then use the dark energy blast to attack them.

2. If however they are entertained by my subtle threats and theatrics then I will happily go with them to their Ice King's home. I will however remain intangible so that they can't double cross me an let me spring some sort of trap.

3. In any case since these sorts only tend to respond to strength, I will without hesitation stop them in their tracks if need be.

Sj
Steeple_jackuk
Steeple_jackuk
Cosmic Level

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Fri Dec 23 2011, 21:17

The dark looks on the Frost Giants faces suggested this would go only one way - until one of the Giants chuckled! The other two glanced over, then back at the diminutive man before them. They weighed up their options - fight a being that they could not touch, or guide that being to the throne room of their leader who might lose face and standing by being humiliated in front of all the other gathered Giant leaders!

They glanced at each other, seemed to know what the other was thinking, and one turned, shrugging. "As it happens, little one, the King of the Giants holds court even as we speak. His powers are vast! And your ghostly tricks will hold no truck with him and his magic if you fail to impress, so by all means, follow! We needs must return quickly with food for the feast. You will either entertain, or nourish, the gathered leaders of the Giants!"

The others laughed. "A dozen Elk says the Hill Giant chief is already fighting!"

Another added "Aye, but whom? Knowing that brute, probably his own men... or himself even!" That brought more laughter, and Frostbite wondered what he'd let himself in for!

=========

The trio of Frost Giants threaded their way through the mountains at a punishing pace, but easy for Frostbite to keep up with as he flew...

Finally, after hours of travel, the group strode across an icy plain situated atop a glacier/plateau.

World War II - The Vanguard Issue #5 Battle of the Queens! Frost_castke

Even from miles away, the Frost Giants castle was the biggest dwelling Frostbite had ever seen! He saw large white shapes - though small at this range - circle the skies about the castle, and camps of various giant people sheltered in the shadows of the walls. One of the Frost Giants, called Ulfrik, turned. "Ho little man! You had best be sure of what you asked! The Storm Giant king is arrogant, and rules with an iron fist, but his power is... considerable! I hope you know more tricks than simply being a ghost, because he knows more than most Earthly wizards!"

OOC Any prior preparation? I would normally plunge you into the heart of the castle and the throne room, but if there's anything you want to say or do before I move you there, now's the time!
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Steeple_jackuk Fri Dec 23 2011, 22:48

Admin wrote:Even from miles away, the Frost Giants castle was the biggest dwelling Frostbite had ever seen! He saw large white shapes - though small at this range - circle the skies about the castle, and camps of various giant people sheltered in the shadows of the walls. One of the Frost Giants, called Ulfrik, turned. "Ho little man! You had best be sure of what you asked! The Storm Giant king is arrogant, and rules with an iron fist, but his power is... considerable! I hope you know more tricks than simply being a ghost, because he knows more than most Earthly wizards!"

Frostbite nodded to the giant, then turned back to the castle before him. "I thank you for your counsel, it will not be forgotten nor this day. For either you King will kneel before me, or he will kneel before Moraggan and I can tell you know whom you'd best be serving. I fight to free the land, restore the balance she to dominate all life. Your King will serve my cause and he and you his subjects will remain free, or you can serve her and forever be enslaved. Its quiet simple really. But enough of talk, for a suspect your King is the sort who responds only to action."

Frostbite knew all too well the sort of 'man' he imagined seeing behind those walls. Like the king of Atlantis, whom he fought before, a many no doubt twisted by his own darkness and perhaps even now a puppet of Moraggan or the Shadows that darken!

OOC:

Ok I suspect I am not going to be able to do this without the extensive use of the Dark Power, its getting so we can't do much without it. Which I understand, but what is difficult is switching it on at the right time, so the points given and powers chosen are sufficient for the task.

Since I don't know what I am facing, I can only do two things, one is prepare, find out what I can by letting the Giants tell me more and what I can observe. And also have a internal conversation with my old friend, about how we can best be ready to make use of his power.

Clearly this is going to require strength and effort, but the mention of wizard powers suggests this guy isn't going to be taken down with brute force alone. Well we'll see what we'll see and try and take it from there.

Better get on in!

Sj
Steeple_jackuk
Steeple_jackuk
Cosmic Level

Back to top Go down

Post  smaug Sat Dec 24 2011, 10:31

"Thank kind sir" sentinel nodded to the nearly toothless old man.

The best plan he thought was to seek passage on a high priced boat, a boat not like the ones in this peaceful fishing village, a boat with rice cargo then indeed the pirates would find him.

The trail to the city was easy enough to find and follow, it was a road well used and sentinel thought being in plain sight on a busy road would reduce the risk of another ambush.

Maybe the port towns would give him some information about these pirates or even he might some pirate scum in the inns or taverns located in the slums. Yes that sounded like a solid plan.......after all it had been a while since he had a stiff drink.....and whats the worse that could happen?

smaug

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Tue Dec 27 2011, 00:17

Frostbite, flanked on either side by enormous giants, strode through the hallways. Many were the looks given to the diminutive figure, including angry shouts and threats, but the Frost Giants flanking Frostbite warned them away with angry looks.

"What is THIS?" snarled a well dressed frost giant in long robes tied with a belt around the waist. "The King cannot have you bring waifs and strays in whilst he hosts the council of giants! Do you know nothing, fools?"

"This human..." said one of the Giants. "Is immune to harm. We could not stop him and we did try. Look!"

The Frost Giant waved a hand through Frostbites form, who stood, impassive.

"Magic!" hissed the Kings Seneschal. "So, human, you know great magic, and can project your form over leagues? Why then bother us? Do you..."

He was cut off as there was a banging in the great chamber behind, the doors in the cathedral type hall reaching up to almost 100' high! "They start. Know this human... we Frost Giants know little in the ways of magic, but the Storm Giants know much!" He sighed. "I cannot prevent your entry. It is, however, your funeral! My... oafish guards here tell me you are to make the King of Giants, and all of us in turn, bend knee to you! Are you mad?"

There was an uncomfortable silence. "And yet you mention Morrigan. It is the dark queen, a human female of unsurpassed power, that gives reason for this council. She has sent word. Bend knee to her and live. Resist, and be slaughtered. This is a human war, and yet we are dragged into it! Good Queen, bad? What care we? We hunt, we live, we watch the mountains change shape, such is the span of our lives! What matter us the life of humans, that are like the length of a season to us? And yet you bring your war here. Speak to the council then. I shall advise the King and take responsibility for this debacle."

The Seneschal turned, nodded to two huge guards who opened the great doors, then stepped into one of the biggest chambers Frostbite had ever seen, dwarfing any man made place on his own world. In the centre of the vast room was an enormous round table around which sat, at various levels as befitting their status in the gathering and as races, Stone, Frost, Fire, Hill and Cloud versions of the giants, each with their own distinctive appearance and abilities. Near the Fire giant had melted a large area of the ice carved table and the floor, and it was clear the Frost and Fire giants didn't get on with but a look. The Hill giant tore at a raw bear, noisily crunching and belching its food. The Stone giant sat impassive, like a statue, whilst the Cloud giant sneered with distaste at the proceedings. On each wall of the vast chamber were layers of cut ice blocks set to create steps/seats for dozens of giants of all races, watching their leaders and acting as bodyguards/advisers.

It was the Cloud giant who arched an eyebrow and looked down at the tiny (to him) form of Frostbite and quipped "What's this? Dessert already? Or entertainment?"

Just then a great gong rang out and all stood as a Storm Giant, regal, handsome and muscled, clothed in a toga and attended by shorter, stunningly beautiful Storm Giant maidens clad in even less. All eyes were on him as he paused to drink in the occasion, then his eyes alighted on Frostbite. Instantly his eyes blazed with lightning, and the ceiling high, high above boiled with black cloud!

"WHAT IS THE MEANING OF THIS?" he bellowed, his voice shaking the icy walls of the castle!
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Tue Dec 27 2011, 00:49

Most people never gave Silver Sentinel a second glance as he clanked through the dingy streets. The buildings leaned in to cast a shadow where damp gathered - it was the sort of place that would never completely see sun, and stank.

"That way." said a City guard, looking Sentinel up and down after being asked for directions to the worst part of town. "Near the docks. If you're looking for trouble, you'll find it there. And don't be thinking we'll be rushin' in ta save your fool ass from being skewered! You with your fancy armour and no sword!" His companion chuckled and shook his head. "If you have any sense, stranger, head to the west quarter. East will only see you end your days face down in a pool of..." he shrugged and waved off the rest of his comment. "Your funeral." he added whilst walking away with a further glance.

=========

The 'Skewered Pirate' tavern seemed well named.

The board on the outside was dishevelled, rotted and smeared with blood, some of it fresh. The place looked like it's never been cleaned on the outside, and having stepped through the threshold of the place, Sentinel figured even rats might think twice. The smell of unwashed bodies swept over him, and the jaunty music being played in a corner did little to break through the cacophony of sound from the rowdy patrons. Buxom serving maids slapped cheeky gap toothed sailors whilst others diced, chatted in hushed tones, threatened, regaled tall tales to disbelieving listeners or conducted shady business in the darker corners of the room.

He'd barely stepped into the place before the unwashed mass seemed to notice him, and the noise quietened down...

"And I thought I was the one who made all the best entrances round here..." purred a voice behind Sentinel. He turned to see a blade levelled at his armoured chest and a woman who stood almost at eye level with him step closer. "Shiny. Pretty, even. Might fetch a fine price. Tell me stranger, your not so addled that you'd come in a place like this without means to keep what you wear and carry about you are you? From where I stand it looks very much like you'll be naked as the day you were born in the street and running for your life from a sozzled sailor or two! Any port in a storm eh lads?" she shouted, getting cheers and jeers, as well as several embarrassed looks from certain sailors.

World War II - The Vanguard Issue #5 Battle of the Queens! Pirate_woman

"Seriously." she said as the noise built up in the room again. "Hand over any valuables and get gone before they get nasty." she purred, eyes roving up and down Sentinels well formed frame.
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Steeple_jackuk Tue Dec 27 2011, 08:17

Admin wrote:"WHAT IS THE MEANING OF THIS?" he bellowed, his voice shaking the icy walls of the castle!

Frostbite steadied himself, given as he was to witnessing powerful beings wielding unimaginable power, it was still an impressive sight to be before beings who clearly acted as if they were just as powerful. But when you'd fought Adjutant and wielded the power of the Shadow Demons, Frostbites flinch was barely perceptible.

"Great King, and assembled Giants I address you in the urgent matter of this Usurper Morrigan. But I can see by your assembled presence that you do no need convincing of the merit of this threat. Ancient enmities are not so easily put aside."

Frostbite said as he glanced at the Frost and Fire Giants,

"This already tells me that this coming war is of great concern to you all. Morrigan has threatened you freedom, she has laid at your door the threat that she will enslave you or command you. Noble and honourable are the Giants, so no doubt you've questions, 'who is this human to command you?' Whoever she is, clearly she has caused you enough concern to draw together in this manner. And you are right to be concerned. For she will rule you or destroy you, unless you stand opposed. Our friends here,"

And at this point, Frostbite waved at the Storm Giant,

"No doubt have more information. You stand together to decide the fate of your people either to fight alone, or to join but I am here to give you another choice.

I was once the deliverer of this land from another dark power, that or Mordred! I come again to free this land and to let all free peoples, remain free. If you would work with me, not as slaves, but as free people to fight to keep your freedom, not only for you and your children; but for your children's children - then I alone am here to offer that.

Morrigan offers enslavement, she will broke no other will but her own. To side with her is to take upon yourself servitude to her whim and fancy. And don't think she will soon be gone, because she will use magic to outlast you all. Moreover she will dominate you all and show her strength, not by valuing the collective wisdom and foresight of you Kings, but by killing you and so making your an example to all. So she alone will rule your people as their sole queen, there will be but one throne unless we fight and fight together.

So your choice is simple fight alone and be crushed, fight with her and be enslaved for many generations to come or join with us and my allies; all who wish to remain free people. Your council and wisdom would be of great value as would your legendary might. Time is of the essence, so choose but choose wisely for upon your decision lies the fate not only of this generation but of many to come."

Frostbite had risen above the table at head hight, so he could look every Giant King in the eye. He wanted them to be in no doubt about the sincerity and authority of his words as he addressed them.

OOC:

I am hoping that in not raising my voice, the conviction and the clarity of my argument will speak authoritatively for me. But if you feel it would be of practical merit to use the dark power to raise the volume of my voice, then I will do that.

Otherwise I want to play upon the fact that they are clearly worried enough to be here together and that their only alternative therefore isn't to stand alone, even if its together, but united with those who have also a common desire to remain free people.

I hope that their egos don't get in the way, and also I am concerned that there is no telling if among this group there isn't already spies who've gone over to Morrigan already.

Anyway should I need it, I'll tap the Dark Power for more if anyone needs a lesson in manners or brute strength. My aim isn't to humiliate or disrespect, but if someone needs an example in how powerful a human can be, then I'd better provide it. Perhaps a contest of strength, rather than an all out battle, I want to win them over not kill them or humiliate them. In case it needs to be said, I've not yet switched off my intangibility either.

Anyway I say all this in case this wasn't clear from what Frostbite says above.

Sj
Steeple_jackuk
Steeple_jackuk
Cosmic Level

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Tue Dec 27 2011, 22:52

OOC Frostbite is pretty powerful even without the Dark Power, so you always have options. That said, you walk amongst giants. The Dark Power is the most effective way of destruction that you know if it comes to that.

The Storm Giant glowered, then glanced about at the table for reaction. Throwing a glance to the side, he nodded at someone in the audience, and bellowed "CLEAR A SPACE! IFTHIS HUMAN WISHES TO BE TAKEN SERIOUSLY, HE MUST PROVE HIS MIGHT AND HIS WORTH! I GIVE YOU MY CHAMPION, STECKRACLEES THE STRONG! UNDEFEATED AND PROUD! IF THE HUMAN DOES WHAT NO OTHER HAS DONE, THEN WE WILL LISTEN TO HIS PETITION!"

Frostbite winced inwardly - he'd had them at some point in his speech, he was sure of it! That it would come down to a test of strength was no surprise really. He walked in a time and place where strength of arms or magic determined a beings place in the world - and few could argue that this gathering of Giants would be down the ladder! They needed a determined show of strength and power!

OOC You're still intangible. The table is melted away (the Fire Giant obliges with that, much to the annoyance of the Frost Giants) and the Storm Giant warrior strides forward. He towers over you, and the clouds that gather in the ceiling of this vast hall turn black and crackle with lightning!

World War II - The Vanguard Issue #5 Battle of the Queens! Storm_giant_rwarrior

"RULES?" asked Steckrackless with a nod to his liege. The Storm Giant sneered. "USE ANY MEANS NECESSARY! KILL THE UPSTART, SEND A MESSAGE TO ALL THOSE WHO WOULD CHALLENGE OUR POWER!" he bellowed, clearly aiming the comment at those gathered in the great hall.

The warrior turned, and adopted a fighting stance, towering over Frostbite. "AS MY KING COMMANDS. I BEAR YOU NO ILL WILL, MORTAL, BUT YOU MEDDLE IN AFFAIRS NOT YOUR OWN, AND FOR THAT, THERE IS A PRICE THAT MUST BE PAID!"

OOC Initiative... Frostbite 9, Storm Giant Warrior 1. You have all four frames. You'll need a couple to summon the Dark Power if you feel you need to use it. You're still intangible but dropping the power costs nothing in terms of time. The battleground is an area in the centre of the vast hall where all can look on. You stand twenty feet away from the storm giant - well within his reach, seeing as he stands 25' high!
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Steeple_jackuk Wed Dec 28 2011, 20:22

Admin wrote:The warrior turned, and adopted a fighting stance, towering over Frostbite. "AS MY KING COMMANDS. I BEAR YOU NO ILL WILL, MORTAL, BUT YOU MEDDLE IN AFFAIRS NOT YOUR OWN, AND FOR THAT, THERE IS A PRICE THAT MUST BE PAID!"

Frostbite nodded aware that the nature of this combat was honourable and nothing more. Realising that what was called for wasn't so much finesse but a show of raw strength, he'd best let the Shadow Demon do the talking.

First he dropped the intangibility and then with the speed of thought conveyed his intentions to his companion, seeking once again to syphon his strength and avoid the terrible cost of failure. Failure that would cause Frostbite to show incredible strength but also decimate the whole area once again.

Steeling himself he waited and then launched his attack.

OOC:

Ok I am going for raw strength and possible also vigour. My aim is to get several levels of strength to use against this guy, overwhelm his defences and also have the vigour to soak up any damage he might do back. It might be that I swap tactics if I find his defences render a straight on attack pointless, i.e. his dividers are too great and I go for either an empowered mind attack or the dark blast.

Anyway sizing him up I need strength and Vigour to exceed his own and then launch a power punch at him. As per normal I will supplement my megre dice rolling efforts with Hero points (as if it needed to be stated!).

sj
Steeple_jackuk
Steeple_jackuk
Cosmic Level

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Wed Dec 28 2011, 23:16

OOC Ok I'll assume you go for something like 9 points to be on the safe side (as Frostbite in this incarnation has 15 ego). At level 3 that should kick out enough Dark power points to do anything, quite literally, that you need to not just against the giant but against every giant in this place! Roll 5+7 for Frostbite (+15) = 27, 2+8 for Dark power (+9) = 19. Invisible Castle is still down (503 error?). Dark power points come up 1 - 9 - 3 - 3 - 3 - 6 - 5 - 6 - 5 = 41. Pretty lousy, but bumped up to 123 for Frostbite. Vigour costs 20 for a grade, Strength 15 per grade. To size up his opponent Frostbite spends 20 points on a power that provides the following information:

Storm Giant DC4 WC3 Str 40 Vig 25 Htc 100, Htk 110 Ego 15 Damage: weapons do 3 points of damage per accuracy (as opposed to x1) up to 12 (36 points) and reduce dividers by 2. Energy attack has 30 energy spread over 5 rounds. Can throw lightning bolts that do x6 damage -3 DD with an action or a seriously powerful lightning bolt that does x10 and -4DD but depletes remaining lightning bolts for the rest of the day. Has Field Manipulation (Electricity) and Weather Control at the highest grade, and access to magic at grade 1 (more powerful grades available to higher status Storm Giants). Weaknesses: vanity, ego, and a pretty face!

You can easily overwhelm his strength. Your Grade 1 strength is 27 (I think, need to check on my main comp - have new char sheets to put up when I get on it). If you're wanting to overwhelm him, every grade of strength adds +12, as does every grade of vigour (+12 and +4/+5 htc/htk per die as you see fit). You use an action to summon up the dark power, 20 points to take a look at your opponent with 'true sight' (takes no time) and have 2 frames and 103 Dark power remaining to purchase however many grades of Vigour and Strength you're after 9or just blast him with Dark power - your call). Take a look at the Dark Power options page and let me know how you want to 'lay down the smack!'
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Steeple_jackuk Thu Dec 29 2011, 10:14

Admin wrote:You can easily overwhelm his strength. Your Grade 1 strength is 27 (I think, need to check on my main comp - have new char sheets to put up when I get on it). If you're wanting to overwhelm him, every grade of strength adds +12, as does every grade of vigour (+12 and +4/+5 htc/htk per die as you see fit). You use an action to summon up the dark power, 20 points to take a look at your opponent with 'true sight' (takes no time) and have 2 frames and 103 Dark power remaining to purchase however many grades of Vigour and Strength you're after 9or just blast him with Dark power - your call). Take a look at the Dark Power options page and let me know how you want to 'lay down the smack!'[/i]

"Clearly noble one, the heritage of your ancestors runs in your veins, you stature and bearing it that of the mountains themselves, tall and straight and unflinching. But I see about you not the uncontrolled power of the elements but a cunning and wisdom that comes to those who have see even mountains ground to foothills with the march of time. Truly oh great warrior you are someone who is more than my match. But for the sake of all free peoples I too must do what I must do."

Hoping that his pretty speech might aid in flattering the giant and also in making his defeat less humiliating for the undoubtedly proud warrior, Frostbite prepared himself. Knowing full well how much the giant had in terms of raw power he needed to ready himself by putting the giant on notice.

Firstly he mustered the power for what he hoped might be a devestating blow and fired the Dark Energy, that had served him so well in the past. Before readying himself for a counter blast choosing to increase his vigour and strength for the clash, when it came.

OOC:

ok so going to go for a dark blast 40 points, all on HTC, I need to best him not kill him. Hence the speech. Will use HP's to insure accuracy if I look likely to fail. Don't want to waste so much energy in a miss.

Then if and when I can I choose strength two grades for 30 points and vigour two grades and that should about take care of the dark points I have left. My aim is to end this quick. If he comes at me with his powers, then I will call on the dark power again, if need be. Can't afford to loose really - too much at stake and if I did loose I'd die, no doubt about that.

So pouring it all on, this ain't subtle, but war generally isn't.

Sj
Steeple_jackuk
Steeple_jackuk
Cosmic Level

Back to top Go down

Post  smaug Thu Dec 29 2011, 14:08

"well meet me lady" sentinel said with a smile and a nod
"i hope you dont find me rude but you are pirates are you not?" sentinel continued

"Your valuables, now" the young lady spoke whos time with a harder tone

"Can I take that as a yes? ........Good how bout we sit down with a stiff drink and have a little chit chat as I think we could do a little business"

OOC: A little help if you would be so kind. Is the plan for sentinel to really hire these pirates? Maybe some arrangement would b better than spending a shed load of gold on them.....which Im guessing we dont have, cant imagen the queen would fork out for them....how bout an IOU

smaug

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Fri Dec 30 2011, 21:55

With the Dark Power inside him Frostbite was filled with energy and eager to unleash it!

OOC 40 points for a dark power blast buys a WC5 DD -4 x5 damage blast. Hit roll (with hero points if required) : 9+9. Double! (invisible Castle is still down...). Next dice are 3+7. Total roll 28+WC5+DC6=39-17=22 accuracy. 110htc, dividers (of 4/4 for the big fellow) reduced to nothing. Boom! That's showing 'em...

With a single blast Frostbite nailed the giant square in the chest! The huge warrior flew backwards through the air and crashed some 10m behind, sliding across the ice floor to a halt against a wall on the far side of the chamber!

The stunned silence across the hall was broken by the snort of derision from the Storm Giant king. "HA!" he bellowed "A Lucky blow..." though the way his voice trailed off suggested he thought it nothing of the kind. The Storm Giant king frowned, snarling, and grabbed at the heaviest object he could find - a block of ice cut and shaped for the Frost Giant king to use as a throne! With a roar he tossed it at Frostbite!

Joe Hoskyn considered for a split second, then glanced at the Frost Giant king, who had a look of shock, hatred and outrage on his face as his throne was disrespected! It decided Frostbites' reaction in a heartbeat! The 10 ton plus weight of the huge throne tumbled through the air, threatening to flatten Frostbite!

Instead, he caught it and without effort, set it down gently!

"My king." he offered to the Frost Giant. "Where would you like to be seated?"

The Frost Giant king blinked in disbelief, then glanced at the Storm Giant king and spat "You come into my home and show me the ULTIMATE disrespect!" The Storm Giant King bellowed "WHAT OUTRAGE IS THIS? YOU WILL ALL BOW DOWN BEFORE ME! I AM YOUR KING! THIS UPSTART SHALL PAY FOR THIS INDIG..."

Frostbite silenced the King with a jarring right cross that shook snow from the roof! He followed it up with a hook to the gut, and the Storm Giant WHUFFED air. Though he was tough, the blows had shaken him mid speech, and he fell back. The Frost Giant King turned to Frostbite.

"You defeated the braggarts champion without blinking. I'd thought it not possible, but it happened, before all gathered! You struck our... King... and for that you should be smashed!"

"YES! KILL HIM!" bellowed the Storm Giant King.

"...BUT... you righted a wrong that self same king did to me, the host of this gathering!" bellowed the Frost Giant king.

At this, there were great murmuring and shouts of agreement, until the hall shook with cheers of agreement! The Frost Giant King then knelt followed a second later by his surprised people. "We respect strength and power above all things, as do most creatures in this land. Until we see a greater force than yours, I will trust you with the protection and preservation of the Giants way of life! In return, we will follow you!"

"As will we!" grated the Stone Giant king. One by one all the kings agreed, bowing a knee to Frostbite, the smallest of them all! Only the Storm Giant and his entourage stood, and he sneered. "I BOW TO NO MORTAL! FOLLOW THIS PUNY HUMAN TO YOUR DOOM, TRAITORS!" he bellowed, and turned to stalk from the hall, followed by his embarrassed followers. They left the fallen Storm Giant warrior where he lay, deeply unconscious!

The Giant Kings stood, and the Cloud Giant King spoke first. "You'd best have a plan, mortal. They say the Dark Queens power is without equal! I'll not fight you, and I will follow you, but do not show weakness or doubt from here on - we respect strength and power - and you cannot for a moment let down your guard or make yourselves seem less..." he lowered his voice, glancing at the Hill Giant King who stood, ugly and powerful "...in the eyes of others who are easily swayed and susceptible to the promises of the Dark Queen..."

OOC you have your Giant army - minus the Storm Giants...

Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Fri Dec 30 2011, 22:30

Silver Sentinel pondered his current predicament. He needed to recruit an army of skilled, bloodthirsty pirates who could help him fight off an army of Darkness. Whilst persuading them that if the Dark Queen took over their lives would be effectively over was one way, pirates were the type of people who 'lived for the day'. They might even listen to his plea for help - for about 5 seconds, before laughing him out of the pub and trying to mug him for all he wore.

With that in mind he piqued the womans interest with the mention of business. Business meant that he wasn't intimidated by her, the men around her, or indeed, the prospect of being in danger!

"What have you to offer me? I, my friend, am the Pirate Queen, Merissa!" she said, turning to the men in the inn who, to a man, rose and cheered, sloshing beer all over the place! "You come here to pay homage to me and my Captains! City rulers come here to pay us in gold and loot so that their ships get safe passage! I have thousands of able bodied men..."

"AYE! And I don't doubt she's slept wi' most on em!" laughed a pirate from near the back.

The woman turned in an instant "And every man jack of 'em was more of a man than you'll ever be, Frederick Simmons!" she laughed "Even the whores call you the ten heartbeat lover!" The inn erupted into laughter, leaving Simmons red faced, but even he joined in, shrugged, and raised a flagon to his Queen. She turned back to Silver Sentinel. "So, there's little you could offer me - what we want, we take! What we don't take is given to us anyway!"

Sentinel settled back in a chair, and nodded to the bar maid who slid a flagon of mead over to him. The Pirate Queen dropped into the chair opposite, and sipped on her own flagon. "If you have anything of value, my fine armoured fellow, best divest yourself of it and take your pretty behind out of here before some of these rum fellows take a fancy to it!" she grinned. "Sometimes life at sea can get lonely, and they'll take ANY port in a storm!" she laughed.

'Strange woman' said the Dark Power inside. 'If they have more riches than they'll ever spend, why then do what they do? for the thrill? Revenge? For love? There comes a time when the jewels cease to sparkle, when the only reason to keep going is hope... hope to... find a long lost... sister?' said the Dark Power inside. Had the Dark power read her mind? What hidden reason led this young woman to excel in a mans world, to carry on when she apparently had all that could be had? Silver Sentinel glanced about.

A number of the pirate captains were moving warily over to the table and loosening weapons in their sheaths! He would have to convince the Queen and the Captains to follow him soon, or he'd end up having to fight his way out of here!
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Steeple_jackuk Sat Dec 31 2011, 12:10

Admin wrote:The Giant Kings stood, and the Cloud Giant King spoke first. "You'd best have a plan, mortal. They say the Dark Queens power is without equal! I'll not fight you, and I will follow you, but do not show weakness or doubt from here on - we respect strength and power - and you cannot for a moment let down your guard or make yourselves seem less..." he lowered his voice, glancing at the Hill Giant King who stood, ugly and powerful "...in the eyes of others who are easily swayed and susceptible to the promises of the Dark Queen..."

Frostbite nodded, adding "I have a plan, but just get you men ready. I think we might be meeting our friend there...," He said nodding in the departed kings direction, " At the Dark Queen's behest."

Turning back to the assembled giants Frostbite said,"To counter the Dark Queen and assure the freedom of all people, I am assembly an army to match hers. Whilst you go to prepare to march I go to assemble the dragons." Frostbite wasn't surprised when he saw the looks in the giants faces, powerful this upstart might be, but who commanded dragons.

Frostbite let it wash over him, he needed to act strong even if he was just making it up as he went along. "I will return with or without them, but I want you to be ready to move and rendezvous with our other forces.

With that Frostbite flew up and out of the chamber in his intangible mode higher and higher all the while seeking to use the reserves of the Dark Power left to see out a Dragon. Hopefully the biggest, baddest or meanest dragon upon which he could impress the need for war.

Sj

Steeple_jackuk
Steeple_jackuk
Cosmic Level

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 5 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next