The Vanguard Play by Post Roleplaying Game
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

World War II - The Vanguard Issue #5 Battle of the Queens!

3 posters

Page 3 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Go down

World War II - The Vanguard Issue #5 Battle of the Queens! - Page 3 Empty Re: World War II - The Vanguard Issue #5 Battle of the Queens!

Post  Steeple_jackuk Fri Jan 13 2012, 15:28

Admin wrote:"No. We shall not help you." it said simply, then tensed, as if preparing for a fight!

'Kill it! KILLL ITTTT!' screamed the dark power inside Frostbite. 'Before it kills you!'

Frostbite stood up and shouted, WAIT!

He took a moment to gather himself before rising to the same eye level as the dragon. Deep within he fought the growing temptation to just lash out. Sick of the pain he had caused, no matter how just, he used that to dampen any enthusiasm for more death.

I fought and won and therefore I'd like to understand what you mean. Will you side with my enemy, if you refuse to fight with me, or are you intended to try and remain neutral, until war and terror you've yet to know, take all you've known and makes you wish for death before the end?

OOC:

OK not entirely sure what is going on here, is this the Dragon council's answer, in which case what happened to the women? IS this some other guy who is answering for the council regardless of what has been agreed? I thought the giving me food, was tantamount to a yes, we'll help you. So I'ma bit confused. Nicely done all the same. Liked the who speech about humans, will have to do something about that before/if I get to leave etc.

Anyway if this guy is someone different muscling in then I want to fight him - plain and simple, challenge him to fight me in a contest of something other than killing. But if he is just the council's spokesperson (somehow I don't think so, given the way everyone scattered) I want to know where they stand.

I have to say I like the fact that you made it clear that there has been a lot of death, even for a soldier, that's not always welcome, so if there is a way through this without more conflict that would be good. But if not....guess we'd better see what it says first!

Sj
Steeple_jackuk
Steeple_jackuk
Cosmic Level

Back to top Go down

World War II - The Vanguard Issue #5 Battle of the Queens! - Page 3 Empty Re: World War II - The Vanguard Issue #5 Battle of the Queens!

Post  Admin Fri Jan 13 2012, 16:55

Silver Sentinel saw that undead face soften for a moment, then she looked at the shambling dead around. Some were more intelligent than the brain dead flesh seeking zombies and skeletons, and they hissed, ready to pounce at a seconds notice!

"A cure? To free me? I know of only one cure, strange wizard - a stake, rammed into my heart! Why do you suppose this mist gathers about us? To protect me and mine from the accursed suns rays! There is no cure... only annihilation! And I am not ready to die just yet - I have my revenge to inflict on my sister first, for leaving me! Love me? Hah! She has everything she wants, what need she of me? Take him! BUT DO NOT FEED! I want him alive!"

OOC Initiative 1d10=6 Silver Sentinel, 1d10=9 Undead. 2 frames to the walking dead. She's not attacking our hero otherwise I'd have let him get a quick blast in first. She does, however, collapse into a pile of smoke and is lost in the fog - after all, with so many dogs around her, why would she bark for herself? The undead close in!

Sentinel cursed under his breath and whirled about. A blue rotted skinned man with yellow sharpened teeth leapt at him!

OOC that would be a ghoul, along with it's special attack' which you should know of Razz 2d10+1+6-17=7 hit! 7 accuracy, +7htc (4htc after dividers) +7htk, (4htk after dividers) but it's a test of 7 (accuracy of attack) vs SS' vigour that is more worrying - a higher score results in paralysis for SS for one frame per difference in roll totals. 2d10+7=23 Ghoul paralysis, 2d10+22=29 Sentinels vigour

Sentinel feels the claws rake his skin, and something else - it feels like ice where the creature touches! The feeling passes, but several more undead close in!

OOC These are zombies. Not much to worry about. WC0 up to 12htc, up to 6htk damage and DC11, 30htc, 30htk. Easy meat for the likes of Sentinel. Only problem is, there's a boat full of them! 2d10+0+6-17=-3 MISS but double rolled plus 10+6, total 13 accuracy, 2d10+0+6-17=7 HIT double rolled plus 10+2, total 19 accuracy, 2d10+0+6-17=0 Miss. First Zombie does 25htc, 19htk, second does 31htc, 25htk. After dividers that's 18htc, 11htk, total taken 22htc, 15htk and leaving Sentinel on 73/88htk with 88/110htc remaining. Your four frames. The Vampire pirate is nowhere to be seen, and you have a crew full of undead closing in around you!
Admin
Admin
Admin

https://darkeningshadows.darkbb.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Fri Jan 13 2012, 17:14

Frostbite stood up to the Dragon 'King' and said his piece, eliciting hisses of shock from the smaller dragons and anger from the larger ones!

Just then a small dragon (OOC as in the smallest form of adult dragon, about the size of two land rovers back to back), the one who had brought Frostbite the meal, spoke up, with more gasps and hisses heard about the place. "This human has the power and wisdom to protect us, oh great one! Your power is without limit, but you must feel that all is not well in the world! The humans are greedy, vile and selfish, but some are worth saving! Though I be an outcast, I will follow this human! This magic dragon that travels with the human is as weak as I, but the human fought like ... like a great and ancient dragon defending what was its own! If the human will defend us in the same way, even this new power, this Dark Queen, could not corrupt us! If he promises thus, I believe his word to be truth, and I will follow him!"

"As will I!" shouted another small dragon. Then dozens, hundreds of voices hissed out of the darkness as the small dragons - those ignored, used, abused, even treated as slaves and servants by the larger more powerful drakes, shouted out of the darkness, in a show of disrespect and a break of protocol shocking to the older dragons!

"SILENCE!" bellowed the great one, and it turned to the human. "My aide ... you met her in human form... made a compelling case that the Dragons here attacked you, and you only defended yourself and that... magical construct... as befits every creatures right. That is why I did not come here to slay you! However, the human war is it's own! Here, my people can wait out..."

"You mean hide? Is that the Draconic way now?" squeaked the female dragon again, committing the unthinkable crime of interrupting her king! Instantly a huge dragon crashed into the floor from the air, pinning the smaller dragon by her throat with a claw and bowing its head "Say the word, my liege, and she is dead!" The smaller dragons, despite the danger, hissed and reared up in defence of their spokesdragon, and the larger dragons circling the king gained better positions from which to dive and breath down death from above!

Raspandarr turned to Frostbite "Do something!" he cried, rearing up and preparing to fight - and die - in defence of the smaller dragons!

Frostbite turned and looked at the eyes of the great dragon. They were wise, all knowing, and shrewd. What would it do if Frostbite acted?

OOC Depends on how you act... the smaller dragons are sick of being pushed about, the larger ones used to ruling the roost. The King of Dragons is not to be underestimated though... your call Smile

Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Steeple_jackuk Sat Jan 14 2012, 11:41

Admin wrote:
Frostbite turned and looked at the eyes of the great dragon. They were wise, all knowing, and shrewd. What would it do if Frostbite acted?

OOC Depends on how you act... the smaller dragons are sick of being pushed about, the larger ones used to ruling the roost. The King of Dragons is not to be underestimated though... your call Smile

Frostbite rose and placed himself in front of the king, "Oh great king, clearly these are strange times and strange things have occurred that have made men fools, and dragons forget their place. But such is the crisis we face that we cannot spare time and energy fighting one another - for that would mean we only do the enemies work for them.

Surely within you're royal court, great one, more than a whisper has reached you of the gathering forces, and the one who has the power to command such forces. Perhaps no threat to you, oh great one. But could such a being if they were allowed to go unchallenged, even lay siege to your kind, simply by laying to destruction the very land we all depend on? In the face of such a threat, even our children, see what we we've aged eyes might miss."

Frostbite said as he gestured to the dragon, clearly younger and therefore childlike and impudent before the great king. "Does the king of all Dragons, treat children with mercy that they might learn wisdom and true power, or death so there is no chance to learn, to grow strong under your tutelage and leadership, oh great one?"

Frostbite knew that the Dragon King was not to be triffeled with, but he was prepared to give respect and due honour where it was due. But he knew well enough that this Dragon was canny, he trusted that behind that fierce face, lay a deadly intelligence and wisdom beyond years. He would know the true threat they all faced, trouble was had age and authority made him arrogant or wise to the real threat.

If the dragon was about to be slain, the chances where that the whole of dragon kind would fly into a civil war, right here and now. And wherever the dragons came on board or not, Frostbite didn't wish to leave more death behind him. If push came to shove, he'd have to do something very grand, he couldn't allow this to continue, but neither did he simply want to ride roughshod over the Dragon King.

OOC:

Ok I am giving room for the King to be king, but if he takes the life of this dragon then I think I am going to have to take him out and assume his place, otherwise I think they'll fly into some sort of civil war. I am very reluctant to do this, though as I don't want to see such a magnificent beast slain, simply because his pride got in the way. I hope he can see within me the power and threat I represent to him if I do have to let loose, and possible the threat to us all.

Sj
Steeple_jackuk
Steeple_jackuk
Cosmic Level

Back to top Go down

Post  smaug Sun Jan 15 2012, 01:06

'If I could only stop her from turning to smoke......'

"Oh well better deal with you chaps first" sentinel spoke with worry in his voice as he already faced one undead before and knew how tough that was and he didnt want to get to close, the cold sting was a harsh reminder of that.

With a slight bend of knee the armour plated hero leapt into the thick air and fired with both barrels at the ships mast blasting foot long splinters in all directions followed by a terrible groaning sound as the undead slowly turned to see what happend the upper mast folded and crashed its self into the deck driving a few undead into the depths with it.

Mean while near by another group of pirates, not so undead, spotted the remains of what looked like a mast burning.

"Theres are signal, set course NOW" bellowed the woman captain

smaug
Class 4 Hero (Powerful Superhuman)

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Mon Jan 16 2012, 18:03

"I sense the power you wield mortal. I have sought power akin to that might you live with, day in, day out, and it is a never ending trial that seems impossible. Yet I strive for it, so better to serve my subjects, my people. All must learn their place in the world, from low born insect to Dragon, aye, and demi-gods." he said with a nod to Frostbite. "That you care about beings that are so much lesser than you, having already proven your power against several rash so called 'adults' and now show restraint against my people... aye... and me. I am not to proud or arrogant that i cannot see that power you hold in check. never have a met a being with such might, and I say that as a being who has dallied with the immortals themselves."

There was a collective gasp, and some of the haughty large red dragons cried out in protest! The awesome dragon turned and silenced them with a glance. It closed its eyes, muttered, and shuddered.

'It is weaker now! Kill it!'
shouted the Dark power inside.

The awesome Dragon opened an eye and gave a reptilian smile. "That would be unwise." it rasped.

Frostbite was awe stricken that the Dragon could hear the dark power inside, and knew that even with the dark Power this leviathan of a creature would not go down easily! he was more awe struck when he saw the ashes of the slain dragons agitate, then coalesce into a mini whirlwind which spun and expanded... to reform the dragons, alive, whole and well once again!

The awesome Dragon let out a sigh and sagged back, then glanced at its subjects who remembered their place. "Perhaps.. perhaps it is time to try to forge a new lasting peace with creatures of this world. Sitting back and watching two great powers tear each other apart sounds good in theory, but there would be no power vacuum for us to step into after - there would nothing! The world would be barren, smashed, and we Dragons would be no better off. Release the young dragon, and hear this my people. Go forth, and assemble your kin, leaving only those able to guard the eggs and your homes! We will side with this human, this power, for I see in him an eternal struggle of light against darkness, rather than take the easy route simply to submit to the evil power he could wield. That struggle echoes through us all, from Gold to red to White to Brown and all colours beside, therefore we are different in fewer ways than you can imagine, my people!" he turned to Frostbite "We will be ready. Here."

A magical shimmering of air in front of Frostbite caused him to glance down. A horn, made from the tooth of some great dead dragon and hollowed out before being worked on with gold and having precious gems inset, lay at his feet. "Blow the horn when you need us. The magic in it will open a gate, and we shall be ready to answer. The magic works but once, and I have saved it for eons. I think, perhaps, this is as good an occasion as any. Go in peace mortal, and when next we meet, know the Dragons shall fight at your side!"

OOC You have your Crimson Legion, Human army and Giant armies, now you have your Dragon army. Once Ross sorts out his undead and pirates, you're ready. We may need to kill some time before we get to that, but I'll make bigger jumps as needed to tie us up.
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Steeple_jackuk Mon Jan 16 2012, 19:56

Admin wrote:"...Go in peace mortal, and when next we meet, know the Dragons shall fight at your side!"

OOC You have your Crimson Legion, Human army and Giant armies, now you have your Dragon army. Once Ross sorts out his undead and pirates, you're ready. We may need to kill some time before we get to that, but I'll make bigger jumps as needed to tie us up.

Frostbite bowed low, he didn't feel in anyway inferior to the Dragon and something within him wanted to let the Dark Power know how things worked his way. "I shall be honoured sire!" Taking the horn he placed it safely away and nodding to Raspandarr too off into the sky, to rejoin the legions, before working out their next move.

OOC:

Ok I am happy to help out Ross if need be, but equally I am happy to sit it out until we are ready to go. Now I've got Lionheart at least I can keep myself busy.

Sj
Steeple_jackuk
Steeple_jackuk
Cosmic Level

Back to top Go down

Post  smaug Mon Jan 16 2012, 22:35

OOC: Can do Dave. Might be easier with two of us if (tell me if this is crazy, its quite dark) we used the undead to feed on our foes.
Told you it was dark....and they might even join our enemies backfiring on us big time

smaug

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Tue Jan 17 2012, 01:03

OOC apologies for delay in replying. Last couple of days have been... challenging.

Silver Sentinel leapt into the air, blasting off with boot jets as he gained height, then twisted to level arms at the mast.

OOC you sound pretty determined to shoot the mast out... will use a hero point if required. Roll of 10+6 + WC3 + DC6 for the mast (smaller target despite its height - it's the width that makes it tricky) less 17 = 8 accuracy, hit for 20htk (htc doesn't matter against the mast). That's not not enough to smash it so a hero point adds... 7+5, 12 accuracy. That's bumping accuracy up to 20 points which is 50htk damage, more than enough! Silver Sentinel has 4 hero points remaining (but will earn a shedload if he survives this issue)

The mast exploded, sending shrapnel out in every direction! Some of it was large and bowled undead over the sides of the ship, others crushed under the weight of the falling mast! Bone dry ropes and rags of shredded sails caught fire and somewhere a skeleton gunner dropped a cannonball which crashed through a rotten floor into the hull, into where the gunpowder was stored, and a second later it ignited as burning fragments of sail dropped into the hole!

There was a terrific explosion that smashed the deck upwards in the middle, tossing zombies and skeletons into the air!

=========

"There!" shouted Merissa, captain of the Pirate fleet. "THERE! WHEN YOU SEE THE WHITES OF THEIR EYES, SCOOP 'EM OUT BOYS!"

The pirate fleet changed course and sped through the water, sailors taking up weapons and making ready for the inevitable melee!

=========

Silver Sentinel looked down on the flagship of the Undead fleet...

Calmly, without panic, skeletons moved to put out the fire, an organised line pouring water on the blaze! Sentinel glanced about. The Undead Queen was the key! Somehow she was the force driving these horrors, and whilst she lived, the fleet would continue to sail! He'd gotten lucky - the shot was as accurate as any he'd ever fired - and what happened a moment later was another stroke of good fortune. Now he saw looming shapes in the fog, but couldn't tell if they were friend or foe!

Suddenly he heard a shriek from the misty gloom all about... then saw a flying shape appear in his vision! A dragon of bone, no flesh on it, and riding on the things back, the Undead Queen, Merissas' sister!

OOC You're 50m away from the undead dragon and the rider. The ship below is preoccupied, there are more ships coming out of the gloom. Do you go for the dragon, the ships, or stay out of the way?
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Steeple_jackuk Tue Jan 17 2012, 07:25

Admin wrote:OOC You're 50m away from the undead dragon and the rider. The ship below is preoccupied, there are more ships coming out of the gloom. Do you go for the dragon, the ships, or stay out of the way?

OOC:

Ok Paul perhaps I might as well join Sentinel, instead of going to the city.

As regards the undead, I think our paladins and noble knights would rightly object. I don't mind using the undead, I just wouldn't encourage their feeding habits.

Sj
Steeple_jackuk
Steeple_jackuk
Cosmic Level

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Wed Jan 18 2012, 23:59

Once more mounted on his Dragon, Frostbite waves farewell to the other dragons, including that vast monarch of theirs, and leaves the valley of the Dragons. As he looks behind, the place shimmers, and without ceremony the landscape shifts to a barren mountainside, hidden from view!

Shaking his head, he looked south, and to the east. Somehow he knew Silver Sentinel was in that direction and didn't doubt it was the Dark power that guided his hand as he pulled on the mane of the dragon to turn it.

"I never thanked you back there..." muttered the dragon as it pumped hard with its wings to gain height. "I owe you my life... again."

Frostbite wondered what kind of life that was. The dragon was a living breathing being, created by magic but as alive as he was now. Without a history, save the faded memories of its good counterpart somewhere, and with no purpose save what Frostbite ordered. Could it learn to live on its own? A question for another day - there was a long way in front, flying as hard as the dragon could manage to meet up with Sentinel, then turn to the North and East, to meet destiny head on!

OOC We'll wrap up Ross' bit and have you meet up, then get on with the final scene in this magical adventure land...
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Steeple_jackuk Thu Jan 19 2012, 07:07

Admin wrote:OOC We'll wrap up Ross' bit and have you meet up, then get on with the final scene in this magical adventure land...

Ok

Sj
Steeple_jackuk
Steeple_jackuk
Cosmic Level

Back to top Go down

Post  smaug Thu Jan 19 2012, 10:40

Sentinel quickly moved himself over to the vampire pirate with the aid of his rocket boots

"YOU DONT HAVE TO BE A SLAVE TO THIS CURSE, FIGHT IT AND COME WITH ME" He tried to bellow above the noise of skeletons scurrying about like busy worker ants

OOC: If she doesnt go for it i'll make my way back to the pirates, tell the captain and give her the choice about her sister and inform her of the undead dragon on its way. If she decides to stay so will sentinel, his word is his bond

smaug

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Thu Jan 19 2012, 23:50

"Slave to the curse?" laughed the Vampire on the back of the flying bone dragon. Interestingly (or perhaps fortunately), the thing didn't attack! "I fought my way up from being a thrall, a source of food, and became a Necromancer in a shorter time than anyone has ever dreamed! I have all I need!"

She turned, gestured... and the waters around her ailing flagship began to bubble and boil!

Silver Sentinel fired his jet boots and turned to head back to the Pirate fleet, but when he looked back, more death hulks - complete with undead crew! - were rising from the depths and tossing ropes out to lash to the Flagship, to form one great connected craft, a battle platform bristling with cannons on the deck!

=========

Sentinel appeared out of the gloom to the collective gasps and calls of the sailors on Merissas' ship

"Ahoy!" she exclaimed. "Here, Wizard! What have you found for us? the ghost ship?" she asked.

"And more beside!" said Sentinel.

He quickly told of his discovery...

Merissa appeared to become faint "Alive... alive you say?"

"Not alive. UNDEAD!"

She shook her head, appearing to be in shock! Sentinel glanced around. The fleet was heading directly into the fog, ready for a fight, but that flagship and those strapping themselves to it would be just ahead, their decks teaming with the freshly risen dead! What chance would they have against those that could not be killed?

"I need to see her! Take me to her!" exclaimed the Captain, gripping Sentinels arms with considerable strength, though it didn't register against Sentinels.

"Cap'n!" cried the first mate "Ye cannae leave th' fleet now! We're about tae come outta th' fog!"

Sentinel could see a disaster looming! The fog was all about them now, and the undead would strike without mercy, plus, if there were any more sunken ships ready to be raised... he glanced at the waters nervously. This accursed fog! It blanked out the light so that it was hard to tell what time it was, and whether it was still daylight! Which of course would serve the Vampires on that death fleet well, if he recalled the Bela Lugosi 'Dracula' movie a decade or so ago, and others beside, they wouldn't be able to abide the sunlight!

"We're comin' out th' fog, or at least it's thinning!" shouted the lookout. "It's... gods, no!" The fog was only broken up slightly because of the scale of the undead fleet!

OOC we're about to get into a battle royale, fleet vs fleet. Unfortunately the undead hold the cards because they can call up every ship they've sunk and more besides to join their numbers! Plus the fog makes communication with the other pirate ships night on impossible! Is Sentinel sticking with the Pirate flagship or wreaking havoc of some kind on the Undead fleet? If so, how?
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Steeple_jackuk Fri Jan 20 2012, 07:19

Ross before you reply, see my private message

Sj
Steeple_jackuk
Steeple_jackuk
Cosmic Level

Back to top Go down

Post  smaug Sat Jan 21 2012, 16:20

OOC: Okay here goes. Hero points to max me thinks.

IC: "Take my body old friend" sentinel said allowed to the dark prince inside of him "and use me as you wish, the fog seems to be there ship......but we have a bigger problem we need to single out there main flag ship. Im banking those boney freaks wont be wearing there sun block and lets hope those B movies have some truth to them"

"Movies? What are ye talking bout?"

"Nevermind that captain just get in close to your sisters ship and grab her and I'll TRY to keep that dragon off your back"

OOC: Boss battle bitchs

smaug

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Sat Jan 21 2012, 23:09

OOC I interpret that as wanting to dispel the magical fog or drive it away with powerful weather control. Using the Dark Power, Sentinel goes for, say, 8 points. This will be tricky, but hero points should see him right unless a double comes up for the Dark power. Sentinels' ego (6, effectively) vs Dark power ego (Cool. Roll of 4+7 (11) for Sentinel, 9+1 (10) for the Dark power. That means Sentinel is 2 points short of beating the Dark power and needs to use a hero point. That adds 5+2, so he safely (though not by a lot!) exceeds the dark powers score. 8D10 nets: 8,10,5,4,2,4,2,2 (total 37, plus 6, total 43) . That's only enough for Weather Control grade 2. Grade 3 would have meant no roll needed, but as it is Silver Sentinel tries to blow the magic fog away (his Ego of 12 vs Necromancer ego of 17). You can use your remaining dark power points to boost your ego for this check to 20. Roll of 9+1 for Sentinel, 6+8 for Necromancer (her total 31 exceeds Sentinels total of 30) so another hero point... Roll of 6+2 to add to the total sees him make it. NOTE: I will send another message to all about the impending change to hero point mechanics! Silver Sentinel is on 4/5 experience (when he gets 5 he uses his full ego) with the dark power and has only 2 hero points remaining!

Sentinel stood on the prow of the ship and raised his hands to the skies.

"What's ee doin'?" asked a sailor. the man next to him shuddered and made a sign to ward off witchcraft!

Sentinel struggled, feeling a will greater than his own brush him aside. Summoning reserves of strength he ground his teeth and pushed on, finally summoning and controlling the tempestuous dark power within! then he used it to summon a fierce wind to dissipate the fog! Again, the mind that faced his own was more knowledgeable and he struggled again! Finally, after a titanic battle of wills that seemed to last hours but eclipsed only seconds, a fierce gale sprung up! Men clung to rigging and whatever they could as the winds crashed waves high into the air, and tossed ships around like matchwood!

"What in the 9 gods name have you done, sorcerer?" bellowed a sailor. "I swear, if you've doomed us, I'll see you follow me down to... look!"

The fog was dispersing in the face of the fierce wind, and sunlight gleamed through holes in the clouds! Where death hulks floated, suddenly rays of light struck the decks, immolating the ships and the crews themselves with deadly cleansing flame! Somewhere there was a howl and an inhuman scream, and all eyes looked up to see the bone dragon dissipate!

Within moments the death hulk fleet had sunk beneath the waves to escape the searing power of the sun, even as the wind died and bewildered sailors sagged, praising every god they knew for the miracle that had saved them! Soaked, triumphant, Sentinel stood on the prow once more and surveyed the scene. The flagship of the death fleet still floated, though was sinking steadily. Its crew were gone, save one forlorn figure in cloak and hood, smoke rising from underneath the folds!

Merissa ordered the ship to move in, and the pirates in the other ships looked around in wonder - where they'd been sailing to certain doom, only mildly choppy seas remained, empty of ships save the odd floating piece of flotsum and tattered rags! The pirate flagship closed, and bumped gently against the Death Hulk flagship. Audible sobbing could be heard from the dark mistress of the undead fleet!

"What to do?" hissed the first mate. "Wait! I know!" he ordered fire, and had a torch lit and made ready to throw!

Merissa came to stand next to Sentinel as they stood watching the death ship slowly sink, the necromancer - Merissas' lost sister - a broken power, the sun burning through gaps in the cloak she wore and sizzling dead flesh!

"Why? Why didn't you come back for me?" screamed the Vampire, he flesh scorched and burning.

Merissa, a dark look on her face, snatched the torch. "I did come back for you. But in place of my sister, I find a vile creature that claims her form and despoils her memory!"

She tossed the burning brand onto the death hulk, which caught fire as if it were tinder!

Sentinel looked at the pathetic figure as flames licked closer. She gave one last plaintive look at him as the flames crept higher...

OOC Stand and watch her burn or come up with some master plan? Your call, but you have paid your debt to Merissa to be able to call on her men and the ships they sail in. You have your pirates. My next post will have you meeting up with Frostbite, for a meeting with the dark queen!
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  smaug Sun Jan 22 2012, 23:05

"MERISSA" screamed sentinel with a horrified look on his face hidden by his silver face mask.

Silver sentinel maybe unthinking, or just hoping that there was still some human left in the vampire he saw infront of him as strips of her flesh pealed off and turned to dark ash as it wispped away, grabbed merissa thick cloak within a blink of a eye wrapped it around her sister and dived over board with her.

Sometime past as merissa and her shabby crew watched the waters surface for any sign of sentinel.
They werent looking too long when from the shadow of the ship sentinel called for the captain.

"merissa please find it in your heart to see your sister inside. There must be some way we can save her. Where I come from we have excellent doctors....maybe a blood transfusion...or...i dont know yet but we have to try. She didnt ask for this and you have come so far"

OOC: Okay I'll leave it in your hands, save her or not. Not sure if we can use a vamp or try to save her somehow, blood transfusion is a long shot but what alien tec do we have. We could make a blade type day walker. Maybe an alien type iron man arc reactor to give her a 'heart' to keep her man made blood pumping. Just ideas.

smaug

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Mon Jan 23 2012, 23:48

"THAT IS NOT MY SISTER! SHE IS A... A THING! AND YOU, SORCERER, HAVE BETRAYED ME!" screeched the Pirate Queen. The first mate and the crew turned, shocked. "But.. ma'am, this man and his magic saved us! He upheld his part o the bargain, an' saw th' undead fleet sink to th' bottom o the briny!"

There were a few dissenting calls from the crew and the Pirate Queen thrust out a hand towards Silver Sentinel as he floated in the water, another feat of magic in his metal armour that the pirates would long tell tales about!

Merissa moved to the side of the boat where Sentinel trod water and shielded the stricken and helpless Vampire from the rays of the sun! "You must choose, sorcerer! Her, and her dead legions, or me and my pirates! We struck an accord to find my sister. Aye, you saved th' fleet, but that is NOT my sister! It is an abomination to be destroyed!"

The weakened Vampire spoke quietly through the folds of the cloak "She.. she is right. You would do best to leave me to the suns mercy... but if you spare me from her wrath and the suns, I shall call on an army of the dead to fight for you, all at my... your beck and call!"

OOC So, a choice to make!
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  smaug Thu Jan 26 2012, 18:39

"But surly Merissa the fact the she said she should be destroyed proves that she feels guilty there for has a soul"

But before she could answer Merissa's interrupted
"No she is right. Merissa i...I forgive you and i... I love you....always" flinging her now soaked cloak back and howling in ear splitting pain as she burst into bright white flames as if she was made of magnesium.

As everyone shielded their eyes sentinel swore he heard a faint "thank you knight" and even more amazingly something caught he eye, something plummeting into the depths.......was it just the cloak?????

smaug

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Thu Jan 26 2012, 23:09

The Pirate queen settled back, emotions hard to read. "It is done. The evil menace is destroyed, my ships are safe and the mystery of what happened to my sister is resolved. She died, a long time ago, and that... 'thing' took her place. As per our agreement..." Merissas' voice was cold and business like "We have an accord. Be as it may it will be in our best interests to retain the status quo, we are not suicidal. My fleet has the most skilled, hardiest fighters on the sea. That said..." she looked towards the distant land "We have many days of plotting a course and rowing upstream to sort out. Make it so, Mate." she said the first mate, who groaned but shouted "Set to lads! Crewmen in the nest! Signal all captains to gather here! Signal all crew to prepare for war!"

"I didn't sign on fer war." muttered a pirate as he walked past Sentinel.

There were discontented mumblings. Sentinel spoke up "If you don't fight now, there will be no chance later! The Dark Queen will exterminate human kind from the face of this world, and march her dark legions to other worlds!"

"yeah? I'd rather take me chances on th' high seas!" shouted a sailor from the back.

Silver Sentinel smiled "Fair enough sailor, but do you really think a Queen who can call on the powers of darkness considers the sea beyond her reach? Even now, there may be dread sea creatures beyond the waves! The Necromancer may be dead, but always there seems to be someone who will fill the vacuum! Mark my words - you can hide for a while, but when they catch up with you, you'll have lived your days in fear, and will end your life in terror. If we stop the Queen, then you get to continue doing what you do best!"

"Rutting!"

"Drinking!"

"Scrappin!"

Shouted a number of voices from the assembled crew on deck.

"Aye! All o that!" shouted the Pirate Queen, "but there's blood, n tears, n sorrow in between. No profit on this one lads, save as we can hope to figure on a share o what the Dark Queen has if we win. If we don't win?" She shrugged "Then what the hell. Never let it be said I died old in my bed of boredom!"

"Aye, there'll be someone in th' sheets beside ee, Merissa!" shouted a sailor.

"Waitin' fer is turn when th one on top as finished!" laughed another, and the crew burst into laughter. Merissa smiled, then turned away. "You have your pirate army wizard. We follow the trade rivers north, then will walk overland. It will take days, then perhaps a couple of weeks of walking, unless you can guarantee a tailwind!" She watched the waves as the last remnants of the accursed fleet fell beneath them. "Now away with you and leave me to my thoughts."

=========

2 Days later...

"Dragon! DRAGON! Dragon ahoy!" shouted the lookout.

The crew scrambled to positions, even as far as loading huge heavy crossbows that took three men to load and two to hold steady! They had ropes attached and clearly the crew were accustomed to seeing off any threat! Sentinel, woken by the noise and stumbling onto deck, grinned. "That's my friend." he smiled.

Frostbite flew in under his own power, bidding Raspandarr to stay clear. He didn't worry about the hundreds of crossbows trained on him as he headed for the ship at the peak of a vast pirate fleet. When he landed on the deck, he clasped Sentinels arm firmly, then clapped him on the shoulder. Seeing this, Merissa bid her men relax, shook her head, then smiled and came forward. "I'm Merissa, Pirate Queen, and you'd be another stranger from a strange land I'm guessing? Cold where you come from is it?" she asked, referring to the icy man in front of her. "Back to work you slobs!" she blasted at the crew who took time to gape. "You and your friend are impressive. Dragons for friends, flying around and calling on strange powers to defeat undead armies... I'm starting to think this might not be so hard after all!"

OOC The Pirate Fleet is en route. Frostbites army will, for arguments sake, meet them in 1 weeks time upriver where the ships will moor and leave a skeleton crew to mind them, then load up with gear and start the march north. A week later in game time, the two armies will meet. Let me know if there's anything you'd like to do in the meantime or if you're ok with me jumping time.
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Steeple_jackuk Fri Jan 27 2012, 07:16

Admin wrote:OOC The Pirate Fleet is en route. Frostbites army will, for arguments sake, meet them in 1 weeks time upriver where the ships will moor and leave a skeleton crew to mind them, then load up with gear and start the march north. A week later in game time, the two armies will meet. Let me know if there's anything you'd like to do in the meantime or if you're ok with me jumping time.

OOC:
Speaking for myself I'm good with jumping forward.

Sj
Steeple_jackuk
Steeple_jackuk
Cosmic Level

Back to top Go down

Post  smaug Sat Jan 28 2012, 08:42

Yeah no worries mate.

Random thought I know but what if sentinel had armour more like xmens coloss so people could see his expressions *cough* and would be so gimp like. The iron man like suit did rule though.

smaug

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Sat Jan 28 2012, 14:11

OOC The actual appearance of your armour is entirely up to you. David M wanted a tweak to his character that allowed him to free form shape change at will without a penalty to his actions, for 'flavour' and the occasional 'surprise' effect, which I'm fine with and will add to Anymans' character sheet. The Nazis have been baffled more than once when they see Adolf Hitler dashing about beating up his own troops... With regards Sentinel his Field Manipulation (Metal Mastery) should be good enough at grade 2 to make the metal 'living' so it's like liquid on his skin but still retains its properties. I'll adjust the character sheet if you want to come up with a new picture to post on it. I will update this thread in a bit (been on nights, head all over place. Working tonight on Frosting watch for the trains so should find an hour or two to post I hope). The next jump will be a while in terms of time but remember the nature of the magic means you should come back to Earth at the same time, give or take an hour, that you left.

Edit: assuming you get back... this one will be a rough ride...
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Sun Jan 29 2012, 05:52

The fleet made steady progress towards the estuary and from there passed unmolested through checkpoints. The sheer size of the fleet dissuaded any land barons from claiming their usual tithe from merchants! Silver Sentinel and Frostbite felt the hostility of the pirates. They were selfish sorts, and there was little profit in this endeavour. Whilst they realised that their entire way of life would end if they didn't fight the Dark Queen, many still found a way to grumble - it was what they were best at!

With days and days of steady rowing and sailing upstream to come, the heroes, with the dragon, Raspandarr, went on ahead.

=========

The further north the trio went, the more sign they saw of the migration of evil forces

Wherever the grail had created the evil creatures, they had gathered in numbers, heard the call of the Queen and started to make their way North to heed her call and fight under her banner! The heroes stopped at several smoking villages, gutted and burned, with many innocents dead or injured. The creatures had appeared from nowhere, from the ground itself, and there'd been no warning of attack! Hordes of screaming orcs or ogres rampaging through unsuspecting and unprepared farming villages - they'd stood no chance.

A burnt out church was along the way, weeping monks dragging bodies towards a pyre.

Remains of wagons, all that was left of a refugee exodus, told a sorry tale of doom. The trio were able to scavenge something to eat. The attackers had clearly not been interested in loot or money - the caravan train had been put to the torch and chests of valuables left to burn with the other possessions!

A forest fire blazed out of control, creatures fleeing as the wind whipped up and spread through the undergrowth the all consuming flame! The smoke filled the sky for miles around and the Vanguardians knew time was running out. All this death and destruction was caused by bands of several hundred. When they gathered under the Dark Queens banner, there would be thousands, an unstoppable sea of evil that would wash over the land!

=========

Resting in the shelter of a tree as the rain hammered down, the tired pair ate their meal - a roast deer - without much enthusiasm

In human form, Raspandarr shrugged "Don't know what you're so glum about. Survival of the fittest. You two should know more than anyone what that's like, as will your enemies." The Dragon glanced at the glum looks of the pair and wisely decided to shut up. In truth even that great creature was bedraggled and exhausted. Though it flew faster and therefore carried the humans on its back, the dragon was not tireless and the relentless pace to catch Elesieth and the core of the army was taking its toll. "We have to rest." said the Dragon. "It would do no good to catch the main force then have to sit the battle out because you can't keep your eyes open." Then the Dragon looked about, his human face frowning. "What's that?"

Frostbite had learned to trust the evil creatures instincts. Though it would betray him in a second if he showed sign of weakness, until that moment it would be loyal and serve its master well. Right now its keen senses told of an approaching danger! Frostbite iced up, and Sentinel formed the metal over his skin to settle on him like a second skin!

OOC I assume he looks like Colossus then Ross? I'll leave that up to you. Meanwhile...

Mist started to boil in around them. They were camped in a forest, the trees all around providing shelter from the interminable rain! The moons were full and high in the sky, and it was somewhere in the middle of the night - witching hour!

OOC Mist is rolling in and making it hard to see. Normally trees would break it up, but this is no ordinary mist...
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next