The Vanguard Play by Post Roleplaying Game
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

World War II - The Vanguard Issue #5 Battle of the Queens!

3 posters

Page 4 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Go down

World War II - The Vanguard Issue #5 Battle of the Queens! - Page 4 Empty Re: World War II - The Vanguard Issue #5 Battle of the Queens!

Post  Steeple_jackuk Sun Jan 29 2012, 16:20

Admin wrote:OOC Mist is rolling in and making it hard to see. Normally trees would break it up, but this is no ordinary mist...

Turning to Silver Sentinel, Frostbite quietly whispers, "I don't like the look of this, fog gives an enemy cover and the advantage of surprise. Going to try something I haven't done in a while, be ready!"

Then rising up into the air, Frostbite calls on the powers of the wind. Though never a master of the elements as we Stormlord, he nonetheless had found he had some control over the elements hence his own cold based powers. Now he concentrated and used his limited power to bring in a wind to blow back the fog. At least this way they'd know whether it was natural or not.

OOC:

I'd remembered the Frostbite mark 2 still has weather control grade 1, which allows me to bring in a fierce wind. I've really hardly used it, but according to my character sheet, neither did I swap it out. Frostbite 3 has a different power set, but this is Joe Rigdon, so we got weather control 1. Might as well use it.

Assuming that this fog isn't natural and that this does nothing then we'd better make sure:

1. That the crew is safe, don't want this to turn them mad/into Zombies/passive etc.
2. That the enemy isn't using this to get the drop on us
3. Or that your friend with who made mince meat of the elves in the forest, back along isn't back.

In which case we going to have to power up, to be strong enough to face this down.

Sj
Steeple_jackuk
Steeple_jackuk
Cosmic Level

Back to top Go down

World War II - The Vanguard Issue #5 Battle of the Queens! - Page 4 Empty Re: World War II - The Vanguard Issue #5 Battle of the Queens!

Post  smaug Mon Jan 30 2012, 21:58

"I don't like the look of this, fog gives an enemy cover and the advantage of surprise. Going to try something I haven't done in a while, be ready!"

"Knock yourself out old boy" sentinel replied curling his fingers to power up his enery blasts from the palms of his metal cased hands. "Im ready" he whispered

Then rising up into the air, Frostbite calls on the powers of the wind. Though never a master of the elements as we Stormlord, he nonetheless had found he had some control over the elements hence his own cold based powers. Now he concentrated and used his limited power to bring in a wind to blow back the fog. At least this way they'd know whether it was natural or not

OOC: What do we see??? Sorry i havent been too quick in messaging back this week (not that im ever quick to message), my auntie died and it was a bit of a shock

smaug
Class 4 Hero (Powerful Superhuman)

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Tue Jan 31 2012, 12:51

Frostbite called on a little used ability (OOC ah, the wonders of random rolled characters Smile ) and summoned a cold arctic wind!

"Typical." muttered Silver Sentinel, peering out into the fog. "You couldn't conjure up a warm tropical breeze?" Frostbite grinned at his friend then looked out into the gloom. All that could be heard was the gentle patter of rain on leaves and the fine drizzle rain on their faces.

All else was still. "There's something out there" said Raspandarr.

And there was.

Shambling forms came out of the darkness towards the trio. Not just in ones or twos, but dozens! Though clear sight of them was blocked by the trees, the Vanguardians could see the ground breaking and the dead rising! Many wore rusted armour and weapons, victims of some ancient battle. This Army, if rising throughout the forest, threatened to surround and engulf the pirates!

Then something else happened.

The shambling dead paused, and the image of Morgana... or someone very much like her but darker in aspect, appeared, ghostlike, in the mist! "I see you, heroes! You meddle where you are not welcome! Your Queen ... my... twin... nears my citadel! Soon her power shall be mine, and your pitiful rag tag band of pirates, so called nobles and the over rated Crimson Legion shall be in awe of the might I have gathered! With each village that burns, with each innocent slain, I become more powerful! You see, the Grail power is a blunt instrument. It blindly balances good and evil in this world with the most powerful of magicks, but I have tricked the thing!" she cackled, but didn't elaborate. "This undead army is but a fraction of my might. Enjoy yourselves, heroes! And come, come to me!"

"I'm expecting you..."

The Dark Queen disappeared and the trio now found they were surrounded, and not just by shambling long dead wights, but by mistlike wraiths and spectres who flew about like will o the wisps, eager to feast on the souls of the living!

In the mist and light rain, the gloom of a deep dark forest in a land of myth, were the Vanguard soon to meet their end?

OOC There are loads of shambling dead (Skeletons, Zombies, Wights, Ghouls, Ghasts, Wraiths, Spectres and Shades abound, too many to easily count amongst the trees) moving towards the three of you and your fire. Elsewhere in the forest the pirates will be having their own problems. Frostbite, when you used the weather control to clear the mist the undead slowed. Now it's moving back in, so are the undead...
Admin
Admin
Admin

https://darkeningshadows.darkbb.com

Back to top Go down

Post  smaug Tue Jan 31 2012, 17:49

OOC: Dont suppose the undead are lead by merissas sister who I tryed to save and has come to aid us??? Thought not

IC: "Oh and hear come the bad guys, what a suprise" said sentinel in a sarcastic tone followed by
"What say you frosty? Shall we try tactical maneuver 3-7-4/b? .........aka run"

smaug

Back to top Go down

Post  Steeple_jackuk Wed Feb 01 2012, 07:40

smaug wrote:IC: "Oh and hear come the bad guys, what a suprise" said sentinel in a sarcastic tone followed by
"What say you frosty? Shall we try tactical maneuver 3-7-4/b? .........aka run"

Frostbite was unsure how his power would confront the realm of the dead and indeed if his power could be said to affect them as successfully as other creatures, they'd faced.

"Yes lets retreat, I want to make sure the others are ok."

Knowing it would be futile, as some ghosts would be insubstantial as he, didn't stop him, erecting a force wall of ice to slow down their opponents as he flew back to where he knew the others would be.

OOC:
Hmm, not sure what to do here, as undead might not conform to the usual rules when it comes to attacks and I'm hardly likely to be able to do radiant or holy damage of any kind! So I think we'll need to retreat and decide what we can do when we get back to the other Pirates, besides which we have a duty of care, they are our men after all.

Oh by the way Ross, "frosty!!!"

Sj
Steeple_jackuk
Steeple_jackuk
Cosmic Level

Back to top Go down

Post  smaug Wed Feb 01 2012, 08:25

Seeing frostbite was longer in the leg than himself and the distance between them was getting bigger sentinel blasted his propulsion jets just to give him enough lift to catch up

"No i wasnt out of breath i was just downing back a little to survey our options.......never mind do you chaps want a lift?"

OOC: Is it possible to give up my 'steel skin' and extend it to make a sphere of steel to protect 3 people or a whirling vortex that surrounds us as we tactically peg it? Just we might need it

smaug

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Wed Feb 01 2012, 14:18

OOC Sentinel - yes. You have grade 2 which allows you to make basic shapes with non-moving parts and that includes a metal sphere. Essentially you'll be providing your protection to whomever is in the sphere, but seeing out might be tricky (I don't see X-Ray vision anywhere...) Frostbite also needs to be substantial to use his Field Manipulation...

The trio took to the air, flying through the fog and gloom. "That way!" hissed the now dragon glancing behind at the chasing Spectres and other flying spirits. "I can smell your pirates! Some of them haven't bathed in years by what I can tell!" Flying low over the forest through the thick, unnatural mist, Silver Sentinel suddenly frowned and had the strangest feeling.

There, in a small clearing, wreathed in mist but still visible at this low altitude, was a cloaked figure. The shape was human, but the Cloak hung on the form as if it were wet, and it looked like bits of seaweed or vine were hanging from the creature. It looked up, directly, at Silver Sentinel, and he felt mysterious eyes bore through the gloom to transfix him!

Shaking his head, he glanced again. Gone!

Had he imagined it?

The trio flew down through the gloom to where nervous Pirates gathered around fires and sang sea shanties, clearly 'out of the depth' walking across land and in this forest.

Merissa and her Captains sat around a large fire and looked up as the Dragon loomed in the mist, followed by Sentinel and Frostbite. Swords hissed from scabbards and the pirates stood, ready to bellow orders and make ready for battle until they saw Silver Sentinel and Frostbite.

"You'll have to do something about that Dragon." muttered Merissa as the pair landed, leaving the Dragon circling above the huge sprawling pirate camp. "Our natural instinct is to pull ballistas forward and turn the things into pin cushions!"

"Aye! Makes fine steaks!" laughed another. Some pulled faces, others laughed, but the pirates were looking nervously out into the gloom. Most of the laughter and chat from the other campfires died out when the Dragon had appeared, but muttering started anew. "What's up? Come to petition for a place in my bed?" laughed Merissa. "It'll be a cold day in..."

"AIIIEEEEEEEE!!!!" came a distant scream. Swords hissed from scabbards again... "What in the name of the six seas...?" muttered a Captain.

Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Steeple_jackuk Wed Feb 01 2012, 15:25

Admin wrote:"AIIIEEEEEEEE!!!!" came a distant scream. Swords hissed from scabbards again... "What in the name of the six seas...?" muttered a Captain.

"We've got trouble! As if you couldn't tell."
Frostbite said with a weary tone to his voice. Quickly I need to know what you know about fighting spirits and ghosts - because that's what's behind us!"

OOC:
Since I am not sure how Sentinel or I would fare against creatures like this, I am trying to find out any info Merissa might have. Truth be told I am not sure if I need magic (as in D&D) to fight these things or not, nor what my powers let along the Shadow's can do against such things. But if worst comes to worst, i.e. they attack and people start getting slaughtered, then I will bring on the big guns and try the dark blast to start with as my main means of frontal attack. And do assume Hero points being used, as necessary to make up for my inevitable bad rolls.

Sj
Steeple_jackuk
Steeple_jackuk
Cosmic Level

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Wed Feb 01 2012, 22:51

"Spirits?" asked Merissa.

"Ghosts?" asked one of her Captains. Another hawked and spat "See what ye've dragged us into wench?" he growled. Another Captain rounded on the fellow and snarled "Mind ye're tongue Hawksworth, or I've a mind ta carve it clean from yer ugly face!" The pair reached for blades but Merissas shout of "STOP!" halted them. She paced forwards, peering into the fog. "Get to the crews. Tell everyone to crowd round the fire and hold forth burning brands! the undead fear and hate the light, for it reminds them of what they lost! This mist will break if we light it up enough! Move!"

She turned to Frostbite "A fine mess you've led us into Wizard!" she spat, then grinned. "Who the hell wants to live forever anyway?" she laughs and yanks her sword out.

Frostbite hears alarmed cries coming from the fog as the pirates see what they fear now - things already dead, moaning and shambling their way through the gloom to feast on their flesh!

Sentinel frowns. What had he seen? Who had he seen?

From above Raspandarr shouts "Master! Get you up here! No use being down there to die with the pirate scum!"

Frostbite rolled his eyes and saw the Pirates, though terrified, weren't panicking.

OOC depends on how proactive you want to be - go forward to tackle the undead or wait till they come to you and see if Merissas' plan to hold them at bay with fire works?
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Steeple_jackuk Thu Feb 02 2012, 07:40

Admin wrote:OOC depends on how proactive you want to be - go forward to tackle the undead or wait till they come to you and see if Merissas' plan to hold them at bay with fire works?

Frostbite ignored the Dragons call, this was where he had to be. But he didn't have to like it. Turning to his friend, he said, "It might just be that even the dead still carry trinkets of metal, or rusted weapons. Things, in other words that you might be able to use against them! Worth a try at least?"

Summoning his own power he first launched a blast of cold air that kept the fog back, so that it left the undead nothing to hide behind and then got ready to blast away with his cold powers. He wanted to test what his own power could do, before having to turn to the dark power within.

OOC:

1. Ok so weather control - wind to keep the fog at bay. keep that going if poss.
2. Energy attack, use my cold quick blast to hit at the undead in front of me.
3. If that fails to have an impact, then I think I need to go to the Dark Power and summon something like energy attack and have light as the preferred type, so I can light the place up and attack them at the same time. I know the dark blast could be equally effective, but then again you never know with things like this.

So I'm treading cautiously.

Sj
Steeple_jackuk
Steeple_jackuk
Cosmic Level

Back to top Go down

Post  smaug Thu Feb 02 2012, 11:17

"It might just be that even the dead still carry trinkets of metal, or rusted weapons. Things, in other words that you might be able to use against them! Worth a try at least?"

OOC: Sounds like a good plan sj. how far away are the undead, would my metal morphing reach them. Prob best rather than trying to damage them to attempt to melt the enemies metal objects around there legs and feet as much as possible, slowing them down or stopping them all together. Hopefully easy or easier pickings then. Feel free to use as many hero points as needed as this may help turn the tide

smaug

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Fri Feb 03 2012, 00:52

Sentinel and Frostbite strode through the fog followed curious - and fearful - pirates. They waited, but didn't have to wait long! Sure enough dark shapes loomed from the fog. Shambling wrecks of once men with claw and teeth to rend and tear the flesh of the living! Sentinel wasn't disappointed for long though, gesturing and reaching out to several undead to morph their armour into crude shackles and pin their feet together! Even then the undead moaned and crawled forward, albeit at a glacial pace.

Frostbite called on the wind to drive the fog away, the ice from his hands to freeze the moisture in the air and hoped it would be enough.

"It's bloody snowing now!" muttered a pirate as he shivered. "better cold than dead!" hawked and spat another.

Wherever Silver Sentinel sensed metal he would use the opportunity to bring it alive and create crude bands to wrap round ankles and trip the undead. Still they came. They marched against the howling wind, against the driving snow, slowing only when the light was brightest, but Frostbite and the others saw another problem - the sun had set, and it was hours before dawn!

Merissa grinned, shivering. "Not dressed for this!" she laughed, and moved forwards, beheading a zombie! The thing fell back, but smoke boiled from the stump and it rose again, headless, to march against the Pirates! This unnerved even her, and when screams started ringing out in the camp the Vanguardians glanced at one another. If they didn't do something - quick - their pirate army of over a thousand would soon be shrunken to themselves and the few frightened men around them!

Sentinel thrust a hand out, waiting for the inevitable - he or Frostbite would have to call on the dark power!

'Be not so quick to do that, mortal' hissed the Dark power in the minds of the pair. 'The enemy you face has no soul. The Dark Blast, your most potent weapon, is useless against them! I feed on the fear and terror of men though, and there are rich pickings to be had here - whilst your army still lives!' There was a pause then the voice added 'Of them?' it said referring to the undead. 'There are no emotions, save perhaps hate. Whilst that is powerful it does not give me much to work with at all!'

Frostbite sent blast after blast into the woods, creating ice walls, slippery floors that tripped and tangled, snow drifts that blasted into the faces of the dead... it was like trying to hold back an ocean with a bucket!

Sentinel blasted out time and again with his energy, then used what metal, rusted and gnarled as it was, on the undead as a weapon against them.

"My men are dying!" hissed the Pirate Queen! "DO SOMETHING!" she yelled, then leapt into the fray followed by her Pirate Captains, each fearsome and skilled, scything down dozens of the undead... which rose moments later!

Sentinel turned in another direction and saw more shambling death coming towards him. They could still call on the dark power to enhance their abilities and smash into the enemy, but without that all powerful blast that could destroy armies, everything they did would delay the inevitable - the death of their pirates! Cursing, feeling helpless, he batted away the arms of several clawing undead, including a pale skinned vampire, blood red eyes lustful for blood! Then he saw something odd amidst the crowded shambling forms moving through the trees. A cloaked and hooded form, the clothing shredded and tattered, and hints of pale blue skin underneath. Something familiar about the figure unsettled him and suddenly there were undead clawing at his throat, tearing at his armour! He fell back, pushing them away with superhuman strength, but there were so many it was hard! Frostbite also had trouble - a number of the ethereal spectres and wraiths were flying for him!

Battling desperately, the Pirates pushed back moment by moment to their dwindling fires in the centre of the dotted camps, the Vanguard knew their chance to turn this around was running out! Once more the strange figure stood in the forest at the edge of Sentinels vision, watching...
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Steeple_jackuk Fri Feb 03 2012, 11:09

Admin wrote:Once more the strange figure stood in the forest at the edge of Sentinels vision, watching...

OOC:"Ross in case you didn't realise - this is Paul telegraphing to you, that this is someone you might know and this is the key to 'winning' this situation. Its probably Marissa's sister, she was a necromancer after all. Whether she can be persuaded to come over to our side or not is possibly down to you.

But I don't know who she is, because this all happened before I showed back up. So Frostbite will have to wait to see what Sentinel does before trying to offer something else.

Although if it doesn't work my plan B, is to get energy attack from the dark power and go for light as its form so we can sear the dead flesh off these things like an over abundance of million watt bulbs.

Sj
Steeple_jackuk
Steeple_jackuk
Cosmic Level

Back to top Go down

Post  smaug Sat Feb 04 2012, 15:12

"Frostbite...Joe...I've I've got to do this, Im sorry" sentinel pushed himself into the cold air swirling as he did.

"You're leaving?" his friend replied

"I Im right theres someone over there that MAY help us turn the tide and save countless lives. I've.....got to try" and with that he zoomed off flying just a little over the waves of the undead armies towards the shadowy figure then landing softly at its feet.

"Is it truely you??" asked the shaken young man

smaug

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Sat Feb 04 2012, 22:06

It was bitterly cold, and not just from Frostbites power blasting out trying to stem the tide of the dead from surging in and drowning the pirates in their own blood! There was a bright flash from above as Raspandarr the Dragon let loose with its breath weapon, and belched out as much flame as it could in a line to make a fiery barrier, as well as catch a number of the dead in its wake and burn them to a crisp!

Sentinel landed in teh shadows of the trees and looked about. More dead were closing in! He heard moaning and shuffling, then looked about for the shadowy figure... the hairs on the back of his neck stood up, he turned and backed off several paces!

"You saved me... though I believe my magic would have kept me unliving. The price I paid for the dark arts of necromancy will forever tie what remains of my soul to this mortal plane, lusting after the blood of the living!"

Merissas sister pulled back the hood, revealing her flesh had rotted away in place, her eye sockets were fleshless, and she reeked of death. "As you can see... I have looked better."

She looked about. "The Dark Queen is powerful, but Necromancy is not her main power, as it is mine. I am, truly, the Queen of the undead in this world!"

"So help us then! Send the undead away!" gasped Silver Sentinel as a cadre of ghosts sped overhead, to be met with screams moments later as they fell upon unfortunate pirates!

"Each pirate slain will rise to the bidding of the Dark Queen! She will turn Albion into a charnel house, and leave nothing for the living - or the dead - to live off! Live... ha!" she looked away, and at a Zombie moving through the gloom towards the pair of them. She gestured, adn the Zombie dropped to one knee! "I release you!" she whispered, and the Zombie glanced up, for once a flash of intelligence and knowing in its eyes, gratitude even! It collapsed to the floor as rotted flesh and bones, quickly dissolving into smoke!

OOC I don't believe we ever named Merrissas' sister did we?

"Will you help us?" asked Silver Sentinel. She turned and looked upon Steve Jenson with that awful face. "There is a price, brave warrior! I need... BLOOD!"

She looked out into the darkness and heard the screams of pirates. "Pluck me a pirate from the horde, living, and I shall have the strength to turn back this sea of undead... for now. Or..." she turned to look at Silver Sentinel. "There is something about you, a power I cannot fathom!" She let the statement trail away, her meaning clear!

Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  smaug Sun Feb 05 2012, 09:38

OOC: No I dont think we ever did thats what made me think was I chasing a story with her that wasnt there.

'dark prince do you know of a way we could sustain (insert name) and give her the power she needs to drive this undead army into the ground without using someones life energy....their blood?"

Far from where he stood frostbite repeated sentinels thoughts out loud

"WHAT? What did you just say?" screamed Merissa as she amazingly heard frostbite over every that was going on around them.

OOC: Options;
1) Merissa is willing to help her sister, after a change of heart or guilt, with her blood and possibly joins her at her side as equals not a undead slave she hopes.

2) The 'power within' sentinel that (insert name) is refering to can help her.

3) Or secret option number 3 the mist heroic I think, sentinel says something like "i cannot order a pirate or any other man to do something I would do. So take my blood" Or words to that effect and hope she doesnt suck him dry ;-) leaving him as a undead minion......although if you want to give him powers of a day walker I wouldnt say no

smaug

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Sun Feb 05 2012, 12:29

"My name..." she rasps... "Is Clarissa." She says, and leans back against a tree, cold dead flesh heedless of the freezing fog. The screams of the dead and dying mingled with the groans of the unliving.

Back at the camp Frostbite said the words (OOC I assume no protest) and Merissa snarled, leaning in close to Frostbite with teeth bared. "That thing is HERE? This is her doing! She is tricking you! Tell your friend to kill it - properly this time, or I WILL!"

'The creature exists on the misery of others. There is much to admire about it.' said the Shadow Demon in Sentinels head. 'Feeding it a pirate will restore its strength... for a while. After that, its appetite will grow. I'd be surprised if you had many pirates left by the time you get to your location if you are intent on keeping it fed! Your blood however... that is different. 'Charged' is perhaps the word I would use. It is your decision, mortal, but know that it is hard for a predator such as she to want mutton after tasting venison...'

OOC your call. The Vampire/Queen/Necromancer is called Clarissa. Every moment you consider her offer, more pirates are attacked by undead...
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Steeple_jackuk Sun Feb 05 2012, 23:11

Admin wrote:'The creature exists on the misery of others. There is much to admire about it.' said the Shadow Demon in Sentinels head. 'Feeding it a pirate will restore its strength... for a while. After that, its appetite will grow. I'd be surprised if you had many pirates left by the time you get to your location if you are intent on keeping it fed! Your blood however... that is different. 'Charged' is perhaps the word I would use. It is your decision, mortal, but know that it is hard for a predator such as she to want mutton after tasting venison...'

OOC:
"No no no, we don't want to give her even more power, esp over us. I think we light the place up and drive the undead back. Or she has to settle for less, but there is no way we give her blood esp our own. Last thing we want to do is tie her to the mortal world either.

Sj
Steeple_jackuk
Steeple_jackuk
Cosmic Level

Back to top Go down

Post  smaug Mon Feb 06 2012, 08:04

"Im sorry clarissa you know I cant give you anyones blood, I wont ....i cant kill a good soul. Theres got to be another way I can help you......i want to help you" sentinel reached out to her
"You do want to be saved dont you?" he added after a few seconds as he found it hard to read her now horribly rotted face

Steve knew he should destroy this abomination and wondered if he did would the army of corpses around him return from where they came but was clarissa truely evil, this 'evil' woman always engaged him in conversion....or was he under her spell some how.

Was sentinels dark shadow inside him not telling him every, was there still some good in there? Steve had to trust his feelings

OOC: Ready plasma blast to full if she doesnt want to help. If sentinel was a rogue or scoundrel he would just kill her now. Damn honnor (hes not totally stupid though the slightest movement then BAAM)

smaug

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Mon Feb 06 2012, 23:03

Her face hardened. "You have sealed the fate of your pirates and perhaps your whole, noble, misguided endeavour! Perhaps I should take this shell of a body to the Dark Queen and offer her my services? It is clear that you cannot, will not take the hard decision needed to save this realm! You will give victory to the Dark Queen through your own weakness!" she hissed, eyes becoming blood red! She reached with claws for Sentinels' throat!

Standing ready, Sentinel stepped back, levelled his hand and fired!

OOC It was a definite way out of the current situation, but I admire that you stuck to your guns and principles, despite having an 'easy' option in front of you. Of course, 'easy' is usually the same as 'comes back to bite you on the ass' and that would have been the case here, so bravo, gentlemen. There will be other options, but first... Roll 12+WC3+DC6-17=4 accuracy, hit for 10htk, 10htc

The Vampire screamed as the blast struck her in the chest! Already weakened and malnourished, she looked up, eyes pleading "I could have helped you! It would have given... meaning to my pitiful existence! Now though... you have made an enemy!"

She laughed, then collapsed into a pile of smoke and vanished in the mist, even as Sentinel cursed and was about to fire again! There was no trace of her, and the screams of the pirates brought Sentinel to his senses again!

=========

"Any luck?" asked Frostbite as he lunged out and clattered a Ghoul from its feet with a well timed punch...

Sentinel dragged two zombies from a pirate and tossed them through the air into the forest, only to see a dozen more shamble towards him! "No. She was a 'dead' end."

Frostbite would have chuckled at the pun but he was grappling with a voracious vampire who'd just torn the throat from a Pirate! One of the pirate Captains shouted "Hold him!" and jammed a silver dagger into the things eye! It screamed, then collapsed into smoke and retreated into the mist! The Captain turned to the pair "If ye're gonna do magic, Wizards, best get on wi' it! We're losin' men steadily, but me boys are as tough as they come and ask no quarter! Them zombies an' th' like fall when ye're cut their legs off but there's things in th' mist that don't cut wi' normal steel!"

Raspandarr the Dragon landed and changed into human form. He moved slowly, painfully, and gasped "Accursed undead! Spectres and the like! I've exhausted my meagre repertoire of spells but we need an army of clerics to turn these vile things back! Hmmmm...."

"What?" asked Frostbite, thrusting out a hand and finding no energy remaining for his cold blast. The Dragon turned "We are selfish, ammoral creatures, evil at times, though it depends on your..."

"GET ON WITH IT!" bellowed Frostbite and Sentinel, up to their armpits in Ghouls, Zombies and Skeletons!

The Dragon sniffed "One thing we Dragons have is a nose for treasure! I'll wager there's Silver or Gold around here!"

"Aye!" said the Captain from before. "We was talking about it round th' fire. Used to be a mine in these parts till it collapsed and I'm bettin' that reptile can sniff the metal in the ground!"

"Place reeks of it!" sniffed Raspandarr, bearing fangs, tearing at a Ghouls throat with clawed hands then becoming human again, appearing as a calm old man.

"Well we ain't got time ta start diggin' Dragon!" yelled the Captain, then he cried out as the line of Pirates broke and a mass of Zombies spilled through the hole! Quickly the Pirates started battling to fill the gap, but it was clear the undead would win out if the Pirates could not hold on till dawn!

Raspandarr shrugged "I don't intend to die here. Just saying, is all. Still, Silver was never the most precious of metals. Now, if it were gold or platinum" it said greedily...

OOC You're running out of time - or rather the Pirates are. You three can fly and escape at any moment.

Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Steeple_jackuk Tue Feb 07 2012, 07:29

Admin wrote:Raspandarr shrugged "I don't intend to die here. Just saying, is all. Still, Silver was never the most precious of metals. Now, if it were gold or platinum" it said greedily...

OOC You're running out of time - or rather the Pirates are. You three can fly and escape at any moment.

OOC: Silver! I didn't know that silver weapons were any good against undead! I knew magical were, but hey ho. Glad we found that out before we lost them all.

Ok I think we've got two options that are viable.

1. first I take transmutation and silver all our forces weapons so that they have a way to wound and fight back.
2. Probability manipulation what are the chances a cash of weapons silvered from the mine, got waylaid and lost in these parts right under our feet? Or some such equally unlikely but timely event?

I think if its silvering weapons, that Sentinel ought to do it - metal is his speciality. And though this is something he hasn't done before, we need to get him up to speed with the dark power. So Ross needs to use Hero points to boost his ego roll, get whatever scores are needed to give him that power and that range, so all the forces on our side will have silvered weapons (or turn them silver if need be) to fight back.

If that needs some extra help then I can also power up and see what can be done. But I'd rather wait first.

Anyway glad you gave me the idea Paul, Silver weapons - who knew!

Sj
Steeple_jackuk
Steeple_jackuk
Cosmic Level

Back to top Go down

Post  smaug Tue Feb 07 2012, 21:46

Sentinel staired wide eyed at frostbite after eye balling the mist that the filthy undead vanished into

"Are you thinking what Im thinking"

"SILVER" they exclaimed together

"Well they dont call me silver sentinel for nothing.....no?.....anyone? O come on people." quipt sentinel trying to hide the fact that the rotten vampire clearly liked her powers all most as much as the taste of flesh and clearly didnt want to be saved. The human inside her was just buried too deep. At lest with her face peeled back like shavings of wood sentinel found his choice was easier this time for clarissa didnt look quite so human this time.

"Not the time" frostbite answered shaking his head.

Yes silver they all agreed would give them the edge they needed in this battle.

smaug

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Wed Feb 08 2012, 15:31

OOC ok so is Frosty using the Dark Power or is Sentinel? The silver in the mine will be the raw stuff, so some kind of ability to dig a hole might be good to get Sentinel closer, then he can simply - try - to call the metal from the ground! Or the transmutation option. Transmute the trees into silver (thats an unlikely prospect but the Dark power with enough thrown at it might do the trick) or other options:

Use the pirates weapons with metal manipulation to create a fence or cage. They might not like it, but its better than being dead...

Use the Dark power to - somehow - gain the knowledge and power needed to control the undead yourselves... perhaps even find a way to 'exorcise' them... even something like:

"To cast a dispel of a spell that has
been cast by another mage, the
appropriate dispel must be cast at a
cost equal to the original cost of the
spell being dispelled and a successful
Magic Attack must also be made, the
Ego value for the spell to be dispelled
being the Ego value of its caster. The
Magic Points involved are always
expended, regardless of whether the
dispel is successful or not. "

Would need to be done en masse though... there's a LOT of undead here...

Field Manipulation light?

Energy blast of high grade with an area effect - fire or light

Just some ideas - no guarantee of them working but if you throw enough points at the problem...

Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Steeple_jackuk Wed Feb 08 2012, 16:55

Admin wrote:Just some ideas - no guarantee of them working but if you throw enough points at the problem...
[/i]

OOC:
Ok Paul sorry I've not to have made myself clearer:

Sentinel will use the dark power to gain the ability to transmute the existing swords and weapons of the pirates, so that it is either silvered or becomes silver? Whatever works best for stopping these guys in their tracks. Just like Jean Grey could change items of clothing form one thing to another etc. Sorry not to make that clearer.

Sentinel will do it because I assume him having a thing for metal, it might be more synergistic. But there again maybe not.

I think its a Psi power, but I hate that its just a Psi power I mean the absorbing man (who transmuted himself I know but the principle is the same) wasn't a psi user. Sometimes I wish Simon read more widely in comics rather than just xmen!

Anyway I hope that is clearer. Should that fail, we might be going through your options list at this rate. I've never felt so powerless!

Sj
Steeple_jackuk
Steeple_jackuk
Cosmic Level

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Thu Feb 09 2012, 00:55

OOC The problem is not only that you face an army, but that you face foes who have no souls. Not normally a problem with bad guys in your own time and space, but against the walking dead, there's nothing the Dark power can draw on to work with. It feeds on, and uses, negative emotions. With the undead, there's nothing. That includes being unable to effect them with the most effective weapon, the dark power blast. The pirates are a different matter - with probably one area sized blast you could wipe out the lot of them! Hardly what you wanted to hear though.. Silver Sentinel is on half ego with calling on the Dark power, but this is attempt 5/5 so if he pulls it off (using hero points I assume) he will be able to use his full ego from now on. Ok, I assume we'll try for say, 6 points. Ego 6 vs Dark Power ego 6. Roll of 18 for SS, Roll of 7 for DP. No problems.Dark power points 2,9,3,5,10,4 plus 10, plus 1. 44 points. For transmutation, you are right. It's a PSI power and that means 40 points for grade 1. This won't work very well I'm afraid... For sure he'll be able to transmute some swords, and that will be pretty good, but not all of the pirates swords. You're looking at about a dozen in the close vicinity. For a temporary transmutation of a group of objects from 1 material (steel) to another (silver) the chance is 60% and lasts for 12 rounds (no 2d6 roll needed because its dark power). I'll assume a hero point to reroll the dice if it fails. Roll of 97... doh. Hero point (SILVER SENTINEL IS DOWN TO LAST HERO POINT) and a reroll... 34.

The pirates in the 20m or so surrounding Silver Sentinel suddenly gasped as their swords, knives, even their belt buckles and buttons flashed and changed to silver! They didn't have time to figure out what had happened though, as the undead seemed to sense the danger and rushed in!

Frostbite and Sentinel battled alongside the pirates but saw that with weapons that could harm the undead, the Pirates scythed through them! Their skill and bravery were impressive indeed, and some started singing, laughing even! It was infectious, and soon the entirety of the Pirate army was laughing and singing a baudy sea shanty! Those armed with silver formed the point of a counter attack, surging forward and slashing deep into the undeads frames! Arms, legs and heads toppled, and the spooks/spirits gave these laughing madmen a wide berth and concentrated on those armed with normal weapons.

"Its a temporary effect!" shouted Sentinel.

'You are getting better at controlling the power I can grant mortal' hissed the Dark Power...

Meanwhile Frostbite and Sentinel saw that only those 12-15 men affected were making headway. The rest of the pirates were slowly being forced back, which isolated those with silver weapons!

OOC Last chance throw of the dice chaps. The balance is at tipping point. Whatever you each do in the next round determines the fate of the pirates...
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 4 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next