The Vanguard Play by Post Roleplaying Game
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Vanguard! Issue #5 - Portal to the past!

5 posters

Page 5 of 8 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Go down

The Vanguard! Issue #5 - Portal to the past! - Page 5 Empty Re: The Vanguard! Issue #5 - Portal to the past!

Post  DavidMcMahon Fri Oct 29 2010, 12:55

PUTTY

Putty putting his words into action, stretches out his even more stretchable body as uses it to brace the wall on either side of him, providing some support to each building.
DavidMcMahon
DavidMcMahon
Cosmic Level

Back to top Go down

The Vanguard! Issue #5 - Portal to the past! - Page 5 Empty Re: The Vanguard! Issue #5 - Portal to the past!

Post  Admin Sat Oct 30 2010, 00:00

Nowhere Man

As Putty stretched between the buildings with huge hands holding them apart, and Frostbite flew in through an open window, the dark clad Vanguardian saw Lionheart move round the building at speed. "Get out of there Stormwarden!" he barked. To the Nazis he turned "This isn't over, not by a long shot, but WE aren't prepared to let YOUR people die." With that he soared through the wall of the building to look about.

Kitten

Kitten saw what she was looking for, her incredible senses stretching out and 'locking on'. Half a dozen workers under desks as the walls and the ceiling shook. Suspended ceilings came down all around and it was only a matter of time before... ah. Water pipes split and sprayed water all over, whilst electrical cables were yanked free of mounts and sparked dangerously, lighting up the darkened room with lethal voltage!

OOC Kitten gets a frame to act. Nearby (within 5m) are civilians, all adult and office worker types, hiding under desks and petrified.
Admin
Admin
Admin

https://darkeningshadows.darkbb.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Sun Oct 31 2010, 00:43

Adjutant

The former Nazi soared downwards at speed, seeking to punch through the walls and somehow prop the building from below long enough for those inside to get out. Moving through the dust cloud and to the lower levels of the building he picked a spot. Glancing at the Nazis he cursed. He had a good idea of what they would do, but his duty - and he hoped, that of his new companions, was the saving of innocent lives, no matter the cost!

OOC Adjutant has used his frame. Just after Stormwarden then the Bad guys go...
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  TDM7 Sun Oct 31 2010, 01:33

Kitten

"Everyone, I need you to come over toward me right now!" Kylie shouted in what she hoped was her most authoritative voice. This would probably be easier if I had one of those fancy costumes too, she thought.

"Move! Move! Move!" Dodging falling debris and the torrents of water spilling out of the broken pipes, the young woman physically pulled those that were still being too indecisive or too stubborn to leave. "You can't stay here! The building is about to collapse! This is the only way out!" Kylie instructed them, leading as many as she could toward the direction where they can be rescued.

TDM7
Street Level: Hero

Back to top Go down

Post  Steeple_jackuk Sun Oct 31 2010, 07:17

Frostbite

"Everyone, I need you to come over toward me right now!" Kylie shouted in what she hoped was her most authoritative voice.

Frostbite located Kylie by her voice rather than sight and made his way to help where he could. Using his powers to shore up walls, create slides or simple help where possible.

Meanwhile...Lionheart

Couldn't stop smiling, he was dying but still he spent his last hours thinking of others somehow he couldn't find a more fitting way to do his duty. As soon as he got to the top of the building, he hoped he could quickly descend flushing out anyone left within and get them moving out as soon as possible.

Sj
Steeple_jackuk
Steeple_jackuk
Cosmic Level

Back to top Go down

Post  Limerickcot Sun Oct 31 2010, 08:24

Stormwarden

Admin wrote:Nowhere Man

As Putty stretched between the buildings with huge hands holding them apart, and Frostbite flew in through an open window, the dark clad Vanguardian saw Lionheart move round the building at speed. "Get out of there Stormwarden!" he barked. To the Nazis he turned "This isn't over, not by a long shot, but WE aren't prepared to let YOUR people die." With that he soared through the wall of the building to look about.

Stormwarden cast his head around. One minute he'd been fighting but now it seemed that he was on his own. His concern was easy enough. Hold here and allow his mates to do their job, or retire and let the nazi supers through.

It wasn't too much of a thought though. On his own he wouldn't last long against Ultimus. "Frakit!" he swore. But maybe he could pull them apart? Stormwarden knew they were a match for him in every respect but even so.

Stormwarden flew, not up but backwards, back down the alley, away from Ultimus, keeping the storm above him.

Limerickcot

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Sun Oct 31 2010, 17:12

OOC I have Frostbite (Tangible), Kitten, Nowhere Man (Intangible) inside the building about to collapse. I have Lionheart running around the base of the building, Adjutant flying around same, Putty bracing the buildings against each other with his incredible strength, Stormwarden flying back down the alleyway between the buildings, and Shadow Vulture is out for the count. Any queries or "No I should be here instead" I'll happily amend to. Otherwise...

Excelsior

Ultimus, Soarer and Bludgeon

Ultimus glowered at the titanic Vanguardian Putty. He watched Stormwarden fly back down between the buildings and in amidst the dust and falling rubble and he formulated tactics, plans, schemes. He turned to Bludgeon. "Zerstören Sie das Gebäude"* he said simply. Bludgeon heard it, looked over for confirmation, and Ultimus hissed "Schnell!"

Over the comms, Soarer pressed a finger to her ear "Losses?" she queried.

Ultimus responded. "Acceptable."

With that, the Excelsior turned their energies to destroying the crumbling building, with civilians and the Vanguardians trapped inside! Ultimus used the remainder of his energy beams to target corner sections, Bludgeon moved up and pounced away at another corner, and Soarer crisscrossed the sky, again and again with sonic booms, and blasted out with her own energy beams!

Putty, holding the buildings together, suddenly realised what they were doing - at any moment he would holding one building up, and having another fall in on him! And his team mates were inside, not to mention hundreds of civilians!

Time after time the Excelsior, once their energy beams were exhausted, used superhuman strength and high speed low altitude pass overs to create dust, confusion and terror, as civilians in the building collapsed, dropping to their knees and the floor.

And the building started to groan... to creak... to disintegrate. It was going to go, and the Nazis were willing to murder hundreds of people in order to kill their enemies!

As a parting action, they started to fly away, though had their head turned to see the death throes of the building, and hopefully the rebel movement would be caught up in it!

Inside the building the Vanguardians looked about. Kitten could see the walls caving in around her, she still clutched her head after the series of sonic booms (OOC no one took any more damage from those because you're all partially deafened from the first one still) whilst the civilians lie prone on the floor, out for the count. They were less fortunate, being 'mere' humans and unable to resist multiple low passes from Soarer at hypersonic speed! (OOC Don't worry, it's not all plain sailing for the Nazis, as you'll find out if you get out of this mess...) Frostbite saw his vision flicker and flash as the computer wailed <<ALARM! ALARM!>> and Nowhere Man, intangible, could only watch as the roof caved in around him!!!

OOC That's it. The building is on its way out. Unless someone comes up with a genius plan, hundreds of civilians are going to die and the Vanguardians will be trapped in a collapsing building! Hey, no one said this gig would be easy... Vanguards actions (7 Frames to Putty, 3 for everyone else and 5 for Adjutant). The Excelsior are out of range of blast attacks etc (100m away minimum) but Putty could catch them if he focussed his efforts in that way.

The Vanguard! Issue #5 - Portal to the past! - Page 5 Rsh7av

OOC The purple dot is Stormwarden... Over to you.

*OOC Translated from German: "Destroy the building"

Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Steeple_jackuk Sun Oct 31 2010, 18:44

[quote="Admin"]OOC I have Lionheart running around the base of the building, Any queries or "No I should be here instead" I'll happily amend to. Otherwise...

Yup I said Lionheart would be moving to the top of the building and working his way down from the inside checking the place for people who've not got out.

Sj
Steeple_jackuk
Steeple_jackuk
Cosmic Level

Back to top Go down

Post  Steeple_jackuk Sun Oct 31 2010, 18:52

Frostbite

Frostbite quickly moved over to Kylie, resting a gentle hand on her arm he spoke into her ear quickly so she wouldn't misunderstand what he was saying.

"Kylie now is the time. Let me explain what I want you to do. Some time ago I was in a building that was about to be blown to bits, the dark force within me, took me back in time so that I could have a second go at saving the people within the building. I want you to let you the dark force, trust it to take you from this plan, to its own and back again. When you get back I want you to start the fire alarm the dark force will have to rest within you, so its just you and your powers to get people to leave in good time and then hopefully you can catch us up outside where we will not have to enter a collapsing building. I'm not sure where that leaves us with these Nazi's but with Putty turned up to 10 we'll figure it out." Then turning to her face, he lifted her chin, "I know I'm asking a lot but we both know these people are dead if we don't do something."

OOC: Ok its a long shot but it worked once before lets see if we can pull of the flaming impossible again.

Sj
Steeple_jackuk
Steeple_jackuk
Cosmic Level

Back to top Go down

Post  Limerickcot Sun Oct 31 2010, 21:43

Stormwarden

"No! You dirty, bloody..." Stormwarden began as the Nazi's began to take down the building. With rage soaring in his chest he looked to the skys and summoned what he could. With barely a moments hesitation for the sake of the people still within the buildings he summoned the whirlwind. Unlike a normal one, this one would be a double cyclone, pulling up debris and ripping it into the Nazi's. He had no doubt they could deal with it - after all, Adjutant had - but it would blind them and hopefully disrupt them to some degree. Distract them from taking on the rest of the Vanguard.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
ooc: nuff said: Cyclone/Tornado - given everything going on here it should suck up more than enough debris to pelt them. If Stormy was capable of doing it, he'd have lightning riding the inside as well, but I wouldn't have thought you'd allow that - so it would just be static electricity instead. Uncomfortable only.

Limerickcot

Back to top Go down

Post  DavidMcMahon Mon Nov 01 2010, 00:47

PUTTY

OOC That's it. The building is on its way out. Unless someone comes up with a genius plan, hundreds of civilians are going to die and the Vanguardians will be trapped in a collapsing building! Hey, no one said this gig would be easy... Vanguards actions (7 Frames to Putty, 3 for everyone else and 5 for Adjutant). The Excelsior are out of range of blast attacks etc (100m away minimum) but Putty could catch them if he focussed his efforts in that way.

Okay, Putty is going to do the following, if possible: Activate Probability Manipulation [2 frames or one action] - not sure if I want conscious or unconsicous, maybe my Intuition will tell me, for the current power levels. Then use the power to keep the buildings up as long as possible [1 frame or 2?]
Second, he can normally stretch 20 meters without taking damage. Taking 1 HTC for ever 5 meters after that, of course that's normal size so I don't know if I get 4x the distance now before taking damage. Putty is furious. Putty is willing to take any and all damage if it brings down the Nazis and with +500 HTC, he willing to take a lot of damage! So with his remaining frames he will stretch out his neck and head butt/bite/punch all the Nazis he can reach with his head. The flying girl seemed to have caused most of the damage so she is his main target. He will concentrate on one target at a time until it goes down.

"GRARRRRR!!!!!," Putty yells at the top of his voice.
DavidMcMahon
DavidMcMahon
Cosmic Level

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Mon Nov 01 2010, 13:36

OOC Noted about Lionheart. I saw the post about him wanting to run round the building then the one where he'd come down from the top but didn't figure he'd be able to move fast enough to do that with the frames he had. However, as this is a loose n easy style of gaming, and there are no 'you must have X movement points to move this many grid spaces' I'm happy to go with it, especially as it places your character directly between the slavering jaws of peril, which is a good thing Smile

Lionheart

Lionheart staggered. The stairs had been pretty stable on the way up of the fire escape, and getting onto the top floor easy enough, but now the building was shaking like it was in an earthquake! He scanned about quickly. A plan, as best as he could manage, would be to move down the fire escape and onto each floor, plucking civilians from deaths grasping reach and getting them out. He encountered his first problem when he looked across at the floorspace, and the partitioned offices. Glass lay everywhere, every window having been blown out. His ears still rung and blood trickled down the inside of his mask, but he figured it wouldn't matter so much as he was dying anywhere. How long did he have? He looked around. Chances were, seconds!

Lionheart saw bodies slumped over desks, men and women who'd been ordinary office workers before being caught up in the whirling maelstrom that followed the Vanguardians wherever they went. Since arriving in this time he'd come tantalisingly close to capturing his sworn enemy, Saladin. To do so would save his own life, he knew - the man's blood transfused into his own would see him live...

It should be his prime concern, his focus, over all others! At superspeed he glanced about, counting, looking under desks, in the offices, around. 27 people on this floor alone.

The magnitude of his task struck home as the building shuddered, huge cracks appearing in the walls and the groan of steel beams bending as unsupported weight dragged them down. Several loud cracks sounded as chunks of the building fell off the outside.

27 people on this floor alone, to save.

One pair of hands.

Never before had his superhuman hands felt so helpless...

OOC 3 frames to Lionheart... He's gonna need some to move, but frame splitting will help. He's pretty smart - the stairwell might be the strongest part of the building he figures.

MEANWHILE...

The pilot glanced over, and saw the new passenger was looking at him. He squirmed under his gaze. The man spoke, his voice calm, accent that of a foreigner schooled in the very finest English schools. "How long until we get to London?"

The pilot felt like a mouse under a cats' paw as he answered. "ETA... minutes. All other forces are converging on the area." he muttered under his breath "Never known a Class 1 priority callback issued before..."

Saladin leaned back in the chair. He glanced at the other metahumans in the craft, analysing, sizing them up, assessing their threat status. Many had never used their powers in anger, merely being a threat to cow the populace. He knew he could take them down, use their inexperience against the other, and the look he gave each of them told them he would enjoy it. He reminded himself that the Nazis were a means to an end. His keen mind had pieced together a number of clues, and he needed a few more to form the solution to the puzzle. Picking up a spare comms channel headset he leaned back in the chair and listened to the chatter. It certainly sounded busy in London. "Why don't you pick the pace up a little?" he said in a cold voice to the pilot....
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Mon Nov 01 2010, 14:07

OOC No real response needed about Frostbites' post as yet, waiting on Kitten. Both are in the building, in danger, and there are unconscious or prone civilians about them in the offices.

Stormwarden

Something inside seemed to agree with Stormwarden. The Dark power?

Stormwarden staggered. His vision flashed, and the world about him changed. He was in an office, typing away at the keyboard. Leaning over, he reached for his cup of tea. The knock at the door made him look up, and he glanced at the time. "Come in!" he yelled, and he heard the house locks tumble in their houses as a key turned them. The tramp of feet on stairs and jangle of keys as Fiona cast them onto the table. Guy Saint Ives leaned back in his chair, rubbed his unshaven chin. His publicist, Fiona Browning, adjusted the glasses on her face and flicked back her hair, frown on her face. "How long since you last ate?" she asked then waved aside the question, nipping to the bottom of the stairs and coming back with a bag of groceries. "Have you seen the news?" she said, a sly grin at Guy and another head shake. Guy was the best of her clients, and maybe, something more. They'd had drinks, dinner, always as friends, and there'd been an undercurrent of ... something else... save that he was a workaholic, and something else always popped up in front of the whatever else they might feel about each other. With a sigh she grabbed the remote, removed some clutter from the kitchen worktop and started unloading groceries.

Guy leaned back in the chair, arms behind his head. A sniff at an armpit suggested he should have a shower. He glanced at the screen. Nearly done. The history of post Nazi Britain had been a problematic, and sometimes dangerous, delve into the murky world of old records, meetings with informants, and being warned off by government types without names. 'The truth will out' he thought, and saved the file, backed it up on a disc, then copied the backup, hiding it.

Walking over to the fresh made coffee Fiona held out for him, he watched the TV. Somewhere across London. Was that White Hart Lane prison? The newsreader was chattering away, but Guy focussed on the huge Putty like creature between two buildings, seeming to brace them as dust and debris rained down. Then the single flickered, the camera lens spiderwebbed with cracks and the camera crashed to the floor, the air seeming to shimmer and sound crackling out of the TVs speakers. Guy looked to the window.

Then the glass exploded inwards!

He ducked, and glanced to Fiona. His ears were ringing, blood running down his face. He couldn't hear anything! Stumbling, his sense of balance out of whack, he crawled across the flats floor to get to Fionas' side. Anything that could shatter had done, the lightbulb rained down from above, the computer... popped! It crackled and fizzed, and he thanked his stars he'd backed up his work!

Reaching Fionas' side he pulled her up.

"Was war das? Guy, geschieht was?" she said, terrified.

Eh? What was that? German? Guy gaped. Had he misheard her or... or... he looked around the apartment. A picture - required by the state - of Adolf Hitler, or at least the latest public release of official party material on the shelves. Magazines in German on the coffee table. Everything resembling a consumer good with a Nazi eagle on it...

Stormwarden blinked. He looked around. Rubble rained from the falling buildings, and he looked away, to where the Nazis were receding. He shuddered, and knew he'd come close.. oh so close.. to losing his grip on this reality, becoming someone else! The power inside had reacted to his emotions and let slip its iron grip to give it's symbiote the power he needed to defeat the Nazis - and nearly lost the pair of them in the time stream!

Stormwarden thrust a hand out, pushing back the memory of Fiona, the smell of her hair, the cheeky half smile, the knowing glance...

The storm responded. In kind.

Winds whipped up, lightning flashed, rain pelted down. Suddenly the clouds above the area spread outwards, boiling and churning with an intensity that matched the Vanguardians mood! They started to spin and speed up... and Stormwarden floated in the area below up, a conductor of his tempestuous orchestra! Lightning flashed, crashing down as thunder boomed, and on the ground a wind picked up, whirling and spinning, gathering in intensity below where the Nazis had stopped to turn and look! Before they knew it, the trio were whipped up in the winds, pulled about and spun as the cyclone snared them! They were pelted by debris that would have shattered normal bone - but of course they weren't normal... They would soon break free from even this storms embrace, given the chance.

The Vanguardians wouldn't give them that chance however...

OOC I used a frame for Stormy to move, an action to whip up the Cyclone. The vision of what life would be like if the Dark Power was called upon was for free Smile
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Mon Nov 01 2010, 16:44

Putty

OOC By my reckoning the chance of success for conscious probability manipulation on something the size of a building was pretty slim, but still 36% given Puttys current ego. A roll of 47% puts paid to that though....

Putty concentrated, and saw in his minds eye a steel beam falling over to prop up a wall, which prevented the stairwell from collapsing and in turn shored up four more walls, one of which was attached to an I-beam running across the ceiling in turn attached to a criss cross network of smaller supporting beams traced back to a section of wall which was crumbling, specifically a small section which would have been enough to shore up the supporting beams which would in turn hold up the I-beam which in turn...

Dust motes fell from the crumbling stone, and suddenly Puttys vision blinked out as the building continued to crumble! Holding back a curse he turned to where the Nazis were now encircled by a whirling cyclone!

OOC It will cost 7Htc to stretch his head out for Putty, small change for him. Rolls of 11, 2 (miss), 3 (another miss..), 13 and 19. Damage of 23htc over the 6d6, plus 315 (damage bonus), total 338 reduced by dividers is enough to stun Soarer, who drops limp into the path of the Cyclone and is tossed near enough a hundred metres away, to clatter unconscious against a wall. Better rolls might have see you take out one of the others, or at least to half of their HTC depending on dividers. Guess the D20 isn't always 'hot'

Stretching his head out, Putty smashed through the whirling wind, untroubled by debris clattering against him. Soarer got a moment to register his presence but no chance to avoid it as she couldn't tell from where or when the attack was coming thanks to the wild nature of Stormwardens' cyclone! THUD! THWACK! BANG! and that was all she wrote as the Nazi was flung from the cyclone to clatter against the wall of a building, and crash unconscious to the ground below! Putty gave the other two, spinning about whilst caught in the grip of the maelstrom, a baleful glare whilst he remained rock solid and unmoving thanks to his unearthly strength!

OOC 7 frames complete for the Dark Putty...The combo of growth + larger really does deliver on a kick ass level. Remember just one (1) Class 4 Metahuman (Majestic) held the entire team at bay before and you just took one down with 3 hits... Of course, there's a price to the power, and sooner or later it will need paying *innocent whistle*
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  TDM7 Tue Nov 02 2010, 01:30

Kitten

Frostbite quickly moved over to Kylie, resting a gentle hand on her arm he spoke into her ear quickly so she wouldn't misunderstand what he was saying.

"Kylie now is the time. Let me explain what I want you to do. Some time ago I was in a building that was about to be blown to bits, the dark force within me, took me back in time so that I could have a second go at saving the people within the building. I want you to let you the dark force, trust it to take you from this plan, to its own and back again. When you get back I want you to start the fire alarm the dark force will have to rest within you, so its just you and your powers to get people to leave in good time and then hopefully you can catch us up outside where we will not have to enter a collapsing building. I'm not sure where that leaves us with these Nazi's but with Putty turned up to 10 we'll figure it out." Then turning to her face, he lifted her chin, "I know I'm asking a lot but we both know these people are dead if we don't do something."
Kylie pulled away from him, not wanting to accept the responsibility for having to save all of these people when she barely understood what was expected from her and how to pull it off. Even if he wasn't here, the reality was that this building was going to collapse and she'd never be able to get these people out when it was likely that she would be able to make it out either. It was probably a cowardly thing to do, but if she gave control to the dark entity within her, maybe it would allow her to escape the pain that would come from being buried under tons of debris.

"I'll do it, just give me some space... in case I explode or something...", she warned Frostbite, not knowing what could happen. Kylie closed her eyes and focused her will on contacting the stowaway in her mind. Okay, whoever you are. Give me that power!

TDM7

Back to top Go down

Post  Steeple_jackuk Tue Nov 02 2010, 15:12

[quote="Admin"][i]OOC my computers be playing about a bit, and now my internet seems a but funny and to top it all I've not got an update re the thread since I last posted. Just as well I thought it suspicious and came a took a look. 'Rolling Eyes'

IC:

Lionheart sped out looking for the less injured as he knew those he could help would quickly slow him down. It was hard but better those who could walk got out than those who couldn't denying the more able a chance.

Moving as fast as he could he stirred people slapped people awake and shouted as he sped around the floor getting people to move toward the stairwell and down to safety.

Sj
Steeple_jackuk
Steeple_jackuk
Cosmic Level

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Tue Nov 02 2010, 16:37

OOC Really struggling to update the posts today, but the good news is its the worst part of the week, so after this should be ok (12 hours between shifts=no life). Let's start with Kitten... Oh yeah, and that update thing - I will update the 'Dark Kitten' character sheet as I've done with the others. Same rules apply as everyone else - existing powers at level 5 or highest level possible if lower, you get a bunch of other powers at level 3 as your body is enhanced, and at any time can activate/use any power in the book at grade 3. Surprised no one has used magic yet, but at the power levels you reach (think Silver Surfer do anything go anywhere type level) what you guys have used so far has sufficed...

Kitten

Kylie felt strange... good... no. Amazing! power flushed through her, every nerve ending on fire as he senses cried out, filling her enhanced brain with knowledge! The room suddenly stopped around her!

No. Not quite stopped, slowed down. She glanced at Frostbite. He was just finishing what he was saying, his mouth closing steadily as rubble fell in slow motion behind him. She could easily walk over and pluck it from the air! Flexing a fist, feeling the strength and power coursing through her, she wondered why ever she'd hesitated to use it before! Another glance at Frostbite. What was that? She looked inside his body, almost at the molecular level, and saw the computer interface on his chest grafted to the heroes spine and through it, his head! It was clearly of a technology not seen in this time age. How had he gotten it? She saw his wounds, how battered his form was, and yet he continued, ignoring his own woes and seeking to help others!

'How weak.' said the inner voice, much louder now. 'We are intrinsically tied to your psyches. You are... ying to our yang, and yet we cannot help but feel we bring more to the whole than you. You are so frail, so... feeling. With the power granted to you, you do not see your potential, instead rather trying to use it in worthless ways to help those undeserving drones who plod through their life unaware of the threat the Shadow Demons bring! So much time wasted, whilst around, the shadows darken...'

Kylie turned. A glance showed the extent of the injuries of the people in the room. one had suffered a heart attack, and was lying on his back, choking. The others were deafened and stunned, unable to move. She watched individual particles of plaster and stone pass by her, knowing full well she was sped up to the point where everything seemed stationary!

OOC That's Class 5 speed for you. I'll work out how fast you move when I get the chance tomorrow, but my estimate is 'fast'. 'Very fast'

Kylie glanced about again, then willed time to speed up around her.

"...we don't do something." finished Frostbite. Kylie blinked, was she so fast that she seemed to step out of time momentarily? She felt the power course through her, dwarfing her own normal abilities, and they had made her feel superior to normal people. What must that make her now? Flexing a fist, she looked up at Frostbite. She was ready. But... now what?

The building continued to rumble and shudder around her, cracks appearing all the time in the walls and steel beams groaning as they were bent into shapes that made the building less stable with every passing moment!

OOC Updates tomorrow, once I've finished my 12 hour shift. Nnngh. I tell you... sometimes I just wanna... anyway. More later Smile

Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  DavidMcMahon Tue Nov 02 2010, 17:18

PUTTY

Surprised no one has used magic yet, but at the power levels you reach (think Silver Surfer do anything go anywhere type level) what you guys have used so far has sufficed...

Well for me, I've been limiting Putty to what I think of as more super-versions of his powers. One of the reasons I haven't even had him try energy blasts. I've been seriously toying with the idea of using Replication, if this goes on much longer - making tiny, well human-sized, pseudo-pod Puttys to go into the buildings to help rescue folks while the main giant Putty tries to wipe out the Nazis who did this.

Magic, to me, is more flavor, than actual powers. Looking over the magic "spells" you can get, the other powers pretty much cover them.
DavidMcMahon
DavidMcMahon
Cosmic Level

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Wed Nov 03 2010, 00:55

OOC Whilst I agree with what you're saying about magic - it's more hand waving, gestures, theatrics, lights but the basic effects are the same as other powers - it's just another tool in the Vanguards armoury, so don't feel you can't use it for any reason.

Kitten

OOC let me know if this comes out too enormous, and I'll shrink it to fit.

The Vanguard! Issue #5 - Portal to the past! - Page 5 Wvzxg8

OOC An explanation about hyperspeed. Grade 5 speed is faster than lower grades... and that's it. There's nothing special other than upping the movement rate in this game. In the DC heroes game, you hit a certain number of APs then you could run across water, up walls etc. Go even higher and yo could break the time barrier. Now I'm not saying Grade 5 is anywhere near high enough to do the latter, but it should count for something, hence Hyper Speed. Used defensively, its a get out of jail free card. Used offensively, it gives a little edge to Kitten as a character as she's the least offensive in terms of damage of the group, and her only defence is getting out of the way, even with the Dark Power. So I made her very good at it. It may take a little tweaking to adjust a few bits about it, but I'll play it by ear. I intend to extend to all of you some kind of signature power. Also at some point we'll have a breather, take a look at the characters and you can decide what you like, and don't like about them. There may be powers you've never used, for instance. DUPs or the equivalent, will also be doled out. For now, back to the action. Kitten has used 3 frames, she has 5 and her Hyper Speed free frame (to use at ANY point in the round) remaining.

Nowhere Man

Nowhere Man looked up. About him, the building was tumbling. There was little he could do about that - his powers were barely functional, and even then not to their full extent. He did have an ace in the hole though, and whilst he could do little to help the people in the building, he knew he could help Putty stop the Nazis. He turned invisible, with some effort, and flew out of the building, towards the Nazi metahumans Ultimus and Bludgeon. As he did so, he kept a grip on an innocuous looking rusty dagger, and readied himself to utter a word of command...

OOC Nowhere Man frames completed.

Lionheart

Lionheart ignored his own personal safety and sped about. He revived two people, but held his hands out, helpless, as he saw how many more there were. Even the two who woke were stumbling about, disorientated. He swore the Nazis would pay for this.

Mind you, he had to survive it first...

OOC Lionhearts actions completed...

Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  TDM7 Wed Nov 03 2010, 01:47

Kitten

Kylie was starting to see what Bloodhound had meant when he compared her to the Adjutant earlier. This is what being a superhuman should have felt like. It made her want to take another shot at fighting that werewolf, now that she could match it's speed, strength, and power. She wanted to feel it collapse after absorbing one of her strikes, she wanted to make it whimper and run off with its tail between its legs, she wanted to rend it apart with claws and feel the warmth of its blood....

The shuddering of the building helped to redirect her mind from the dark path where her thoughts were leading her. What's wrong with me? I don't want to do that, Kylie tried to reassure herself.

"Now what?" the young woman snarled at Frostbite like some feral animal, probably not unlike the way Bloodhound had sounded. "How do I know if they have given me the ability to go back in time? Do I need to force them to make it work?" She was now clearly impatient by the way she was pacing and wanted to get to safety if there was nothing else that could be done for all of these people.

OOC: Waiting to see if Frostbite has any instructions, but will also attempt to make the time travel happen on her own until it's obvious that she must leave the collapsing building.

TDM7

Back to top Go down

Post  Steeple_jackuk Wed Nov 03 2010, 07:15

Frostbite

"Now what?"

Frostbite gestured toward her a haunted look in his eyes. He was wondering if he'd done the right thing by Kylie in the first place. "You need to get the dark power within you to take you back in time to a point where the building was safe, whilst we battle below, you need to raise the alarm so the building is evacuated. That way when things play out as they do, Putty will take on his Dark Mantle and this time we can get to the Prison to rescue folk. Your passenger knows what to do!"

Frostbite turned then to look around him, giving Kylie space to work.

OOC: Paul I know this probably creates a bit of a headache for you, as it would be like editing out all the previous posts of Kylie's actions and then carrying on as planned. It might not even work but I thought of a way to rescue folks (though none but Kylie will know we've done it) hope this works for the best.

Sj
Steeple_jackuk
Steeple_jackuk
Cosmic Level

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Wed Nov 03 2010, 17:44

OOC It's hyper speed, not time travel - with regards going back in time, it's this round only, so what's that, 4 seconds? 10? In combat terms it will allow moving, or swinging a punch, using a 1 frame power at any point in the round. So Kitten could move to where the Nazis are bashing the heck out of the building, but would end up watch them do it because the frame would be used to move to them, and that'd be it. She might put one of them off though, so it's worth a shot and might buy a little more time. Remember it's only a frame, not an action, so she'd not be able to affect the Nazis, only move to where they are. If she was already stood next to them she'd be able to attack. In game terms it's to allow Kitten to be literally somewhere else when someone attacks her, or appear behind someone as they throw a punch, or in front of them to put them off (and probably get clobbered herself) or move underneath a falling person when otherwise she'd have no chance of getting to them and so on. So whilst she could move to where the Nazis are pounding the building, they would then have their actions and she'd be still trying to somehow save the building. More examples - she could move in front of a bullet, using tough skin would help her there, dodge any single attack by using her free frame to move before the bad guy acts (they wouldn't have time to change their action, it's like instantaneous movement) and so on.

I probably didn't describe it well enough to make it clear, but it's NOT time travel, it's more of a combat action with a free frame at any point in the round of the characters choosing. Being only a frame it's not enough to make a massive difference in a fight, but it is enough to have her move completely out of the way of a blow as the bad guy is throwing it, before they throw it in fact, but they would still go through with the action and Kitten would be stood behind them, or across the room, or whatever. Time travel would be 'rewinding' all the events of the round so the building reforms, everyone moves backwards and Kitten stands there ready to take the Nazis on whilst everyone looks around with a strange feeling of deja vu.

Another example: if there were a critical moment, like a bomb going off, Kitten could move to it and cover it with her body, for instance, regardless whether it would go off before the characters would act or not. If the bomb had already gone off, she can go to the moment before it goes off, but with only 1 frame can't do anything else other than watch it go boom - and get caught up in it. Now, if it were a free action (2 frames), THEN she might be able to defuse it as well... So I gave her a truly exceptional power... with limits Smile Any wiser?

If it's too much for everyone to get their head round I'll drop it, and just give her 9 frames a round, all else (initiative roll) as usual, so see if what I've said makes sense.

That's what I get for meddling with time travel and paradoxes... Shocked
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Thu Nov 04 2010, 17:03

OOC Right, forget about hyper speed for now, carry on with frames as usual for Kitten. It's given me a headache all day trying to rule on the hyper speed and when you get to act etc in the round, so forget it as written and I will write up a new version that has more to do with moving really, really fast indeed, but it will be tiring. Not that that will be a problem for someone with 50 odd vigour for long... so Kitten used 1 frame then 2, has 5 frames remaining. Will catch up as best I can before I go back to work again at 02.40...
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  TDM7 Fri Nov 05 2010, 02:27

Dark Kitten

Kylie nodded and tried to do as Frostbite instructed her. However, the voices refused to answer and it didn't look like the flow of time had reversed or reset since all of the people were still on the floor and the building was still in immediate danger of collapsing.

"Sorry. Nobody's home," Kylie responded. "It looks like my 'passenger'... my parasite... didn't want to give me the power to fix time," she said in a cruel tone. If it had, she probably would have gone way back to the point where she remained in her house today to avoid this whole nightmare or maybe to before her coma where she would be back at the university which was the last time she was happy.

"I doesn't feel like they gave me anything to save the building either. We're going to have to do this the hard way and rescue as many people as we can. When it's time to go, we're out of here."

OOC: Probably going to be relying a lot on probability manipulation to press her luck and try to get as many people to safety as she can. If the building starts to go down, Kylie will heed the call of self-preservation.

TDM7

Back to top Go down

Post  Steeple_jackuk Fri Nov 05 2010, 07:04

Frostbite

Kylie nodded and tried to do as Frostbite instructed her. However, the voices refused to answer and it didn't look like the flow of time had reversed or reset since all of the people were still on the floor and the building was still in immediate danger of collapsing.

OOC: Yeah my bad, I reread the post and it wasn't time travel at all, it was that we'd changed things moments before what had happened, happened. Anyway, so just disregard what I said, Frostbite recalls its fine, I however had to find the post and reread it. Getting older is no fun.

Sj
Steeple_jackuk
Steeple_jackuk
Cosmic Level

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 5 of 8 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next