The Vanguard Play by Post Roleplaying Game
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

New Characters

3 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

New Characters - Page 2 Empty Re: New Characters

Post  Admin Mon May 17 2010, 22:36

New Characters - Page 2 15ekic

As you can see, the 'cannot dodge' kind of renders agility null and void. I'd suggest, perhaps, speed (for movement and dodging bonus), or some kind of healing ability and change armour into Grade 1 tough skin (though it makes no difference, its just armour is worn and tough skin 'is you'). Your call Smile

I used an online dice roller to come up with HTC and HTK. Feel free to roll them yourself if you prefer Smile (link: 16d6=60, 16d6=58)
Admin
Admin
Admin

https://darkeningshadows.darkbb.com

Back to top Go down

New Characters - Page 2 Empty New Character - PUTTY

Post  DavidMcMahon Mon May 17 2010, 17:29

That is just so damn cool!!!!!!!

Let's fill in the rest of my stats and go for it!!! What a Face

Got to see if I can find a photo of Clayface so I can use it as my avatar here.

David

A day later. Huddled, cold, hungry. He looked at the back of his hand. So perfectly smooth, so artificial looking, so... plastic. Looking at himself in a puddle, he tried to imagine himself as he was, failed. He watched from the shadows of the alley as the accursed Nazi soldiers ran towards some great disturbance. The storm howled, raged. Before it had been misty, and now this! He continued to shelter in the alley as hailstones shattered on the floor.

Whomever the Nazis were fighting must be their enemy.

'The enemy of my enemy must be my friend...' an old saying sprung to mind, remembered from somewhere. A classroom. Another life. Concentrating, he formed legs, feet, and with a peeling sound the first few steps marked the birth of an enemy the Nazis would soon regret having a hand in the creation of... Where once a grief stricken young man had stood, now there was...

OOC if you're ok with that we'll get the gaps filled in and get you started.
DavidMcMahon
DavidMcMahon
Cosmic Level

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Mon May 17 2010, 16:33

OOC ok, let's see how we go with this...

"Wake up..."

That voice again. He opened an eye. Still dark. Memories like fragments of glass lay scattered in his mind. Born, raised a healthy child, loving parents who worked hard for the fatherland. Overhearing father saying how he wanted to get out, to get away from the foul Nazi regime, that scientists like himself were forced to create weapons to destroy, and not medicines to heal. His mother, hushing his father. Later, seeing students beaten down with batons, lined up against a wall and shot. That quelled the rest of the student protests about human rights. There were only those rights the Nazi regime gave you, and if you didn't like them...

Still dark. Why couldn't he see?

Wake up... they are coming for you...

Who was that? The voice he heard... it was.. not in the room. It was inside his head! Was he going mad? "Who... who are you?"

"Unimportant. You are chosen. Your destiny lies along a different path from that you thought laid down for you. If you follow your current path, the shadows will darken even more, and grow to encompass the world. They stole a march on us, allied themselves with petty humans. They will drag this reality down, and every other. You, and others like you, must stop them. But you must wake up!"

He opened an eye, then another. Still dark but getting lighter. Then there were voice, German voices. Papa? No. Papa was... papa was dead. Slain by the Nazis for daring to refuse to continue the research. They'd injected his son, before his eyes. He remembered his fathers screams, his mother, screeching as they watched their son ... melt.

He held up a hand. The fingers oozed like candlewax to coalesce with the rest of his form. He was in a box. Aside from air holes to breathe, he filled, like liquid, a square plastic box. Scientists were gathered around him.

"It is freakish! How can this ancient formula have done any good? We have refined it so as to make the form non acidic to touch, but look at this... this mess! We cannot present this as our latest 'super solider' effort! We would be lined up and shot!" said one scientist.

It was too bright to see, a light behind them.

"Burn it then. Good riddance as well. Throw the fathers body in too. Traitor!" said another voice. Harsh, cruel. "And the mother? She is still alive."

The click of a gun, several footsteps. A single shot.

And the Nazis had destroyed his world. Everything he knew was gone. His life till now, was swept away. The Nazis had taken everything from him...

=========

Heat. The searing heat of a furnace. He woke, hearing the voice again.

"You must escape." it said. "They are going to pour you into a furnace! Concentrate! Remember! Hands! Feet! Legs! Arms! Your body! A head! Think!"

Struggling, the liquid form rippled and wavered, becoming more solid and lunging up against the lid of the box. He 'splooshed' through the air holes and slithered across the floor like an eel. In the shadows of the boiler room, the puddle formed into a humanoid shape, becoming more solid with every moment. It watched as the plastic box was thrown into the furnace, tried to cry out as his father and mother were tossed in after. But he had no mouth, and so his screams were silent...

=========

A day later. Huddled, cold, hungry. He looked at the back of his hand. So perfectly smooth, so artificial looking, so... plastic. Looking at himself in a puddle, he tried to imagine himself as he was, failed. He watched from the shadows of the alley as the accursed Nazi soldiers ran towards some great disturbance. The storm howled, raged. Before it had been misty, and now this! He continued to shelter in the alley as hailstones shattered on the floor.

Whomever the Nazis were fighting must be their enemy.

'The enemy of my enemy must be my friend...' an old saying sprung to mind, remembered from somewhere. A classroom. Another life. Concentrating, he formed legs, feet, and with a peeling sound the first few steps marked the birth of an enemy the Nazis would soon regret having a hand in the creation of... Where once a grief stricken young man had stood, now there was...

New Characters - Page 2 4hftd3

OOC if you're ok with that we'll get the gaps filled in and get you started.
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Mon May 17 2010, 05:24

Right, I'll cook up a little intro and see what you think then we can fill in the blanks on the character (htc, htk etc) and get you started Smile Probably be later today, its 5.24 am and just got in from work ... Sleep
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

New Characters - Page 2 Empty Putty

Post  DavidMcMahon Mon May 17 2010, 04:08

Sorry for being so long getting back to you. Let's switch in Agility instead of Gymnastics. Let's leave him not having any memory of who he is at the start. Let's also start with the government not knowing who he is either. While he was unconscious, he turned into some sort of humanoid blob - sort of like Clayface if you saw any of the Batman cartoons. No facial recognition, no dental works to compare, no fingerprints. When he woke from his coma, he didn't know who he was but he instinctively mimicked the look of whoever comes into his room. If more than one person comes in, he merges their looks into one face.

He will spend future points on gaining the shapeshift power to form into anything. And if the game lasts long enough, to slowly build up to where he can somewhat duplicate the powers of the forms he takes.

But with his current stretching and armor powers, he should already be able to shift himself into things like a human slide or slipping under doors that aren't airtight or bounce from great heights with little or no damage. Maybe being able to flatten himself so he can become a human parachute or glider would be allowed or that would be the first things he would work on with his points, whatever you think is best for the game.

If we go with the original idea that he is a college man, then he must have been loyal to the Nazis or at least his parents were. How else would he get into college if he hadn't proven his loyalty? I really don't have a hard and fast previous life for him. If you want, why don't you mess with his mind? Give him flashes of memories that show that he could have been a loyal Nazi or working for the college underground or wasn't a student but might have been a teacher or a groundskeeper at the college?

These flashes could be true or false. It could be he was flashing on some play he saw or a moive or a TV show or his alternate reality where the Nazis didn't win the war or what he observed while sitting at a cafe with friends. Might he even flash to being the son of a very top Nazi leader?

Maybe he will never figure out who he is. Maybe other people will mistake him for someone they know because he is using their face when he is out in public and those folks have been missing for quite awhile - about the same time he showed up in the hospital. Or he wound up looking like someone working undercover for the police or for the Gestapo. But where would he know those faces from that he mimics if he never saw them before? Nice little thing to bedevil him with Those would be nice plothooks for you if you ever need to use them.

David
DavidMcMahon
DavidMcMahon
Cosmic Level

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Thu May 13 2010, 23:25

New Characters - Page 2 1z1frdk
vs
New Characters - Page 2 Nwhbt1

One is a power (as per Spiderman etc) the other a skill, along the lines of an Olympic gymnast. Captain America probably has Agility I'd have thought, as would Batman. In terms of mechanics, an extra +1 to dodge.
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

New Characters - Page 2 Empty Putty Power

Post  DavidMcMahon Thu May 13 2010, 12:30

If you'd rather go with the character as you laid out, we just need to fill in the blanks and I'll toss you in at the deep end, no use in going easy on you as you're a veteran of supers games.

Let me look over Agility instead of Gymnastic for him. Have to get ready for work right now so I really won't be able to look it over until tonight or more likely Friday night. I will try to fill in the secondary numbers then as well.

I'm not really looking at him having the power of the shapes he takes. I'm thinking more of the original 1940s Plastic Man instead of the more current version. The 1940s Plastic Man could act as a raft or lifejacket, could become a parachute or a giant ball form to bounce when he fell or was pushed off roofs or maybe glide down by flattening his body but he couldn't fly, turn into a giant working fan or anything like that.

David
DavidMcMahon
DavidMcMahon
Cosmic Level

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Wed May 12 2010, 23:22

If you'd rather go with the character as you laid out, we just need to fill in the blanks and I'll toss you in at the deep end, no use in going easy on you as you're a veteran of supers games Smile
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Tue May 11 2010, 17:58

How about this:

Self Manipulation+**
This power allows the user to reform their body into any number of basic shapes and gain abilities that such a shape may have, to a certain degree. For instance a character may reform their lower half as a spring, and gain the leaping power. They could change themselves into a brick wall, and provide a degree of protection to those protected by it, a net, to catch a falling person and so on. The power costs 2 power rolls initially for Grade 1. To change form takes a full action, and the character can do nothing else whilst changing the form. All appropriate powers can still be used in the self manipulated form, so armour has a use, flight can be used and so on. The power needs a physical effect - blades to whirl, oars to row, rockets to boost and so on. The shapes can take a maximum size of 4m cubed, or be compacted to a size of 1m cubed. The power grade determines the effects the character may perform:

Grade 1 - The character may mimic certain visual physical effect powers (such as an aeroplane to fly, a fan to create wind and so on) with an effect equal to half what grade 1 in that power might have. So a plane shape would 'fly' at 7m/frame in combat situations (more resembling gliding) turning into a ray gun would supply 7d6 energy over 5 rounds and so on. If the character simply uses it as a form of defence, the effects are the same as stretching - any dodge vs concussive attacks (non penetrating) is automatically successful and divides the damage by two. The character may form melee weapons from their arms with the same effect as normal weapons of that type.

Grade 2 - As grade 1, except the character may mimic certain visual physical effect powers (such as an aeroplane to fly, a fan to create wind, a ship to sail on the water and so on) with an effect equal to what grade 1 in that power might have. They may also, at a risk to their own health, create larger objects by expanding their bodies. To expand their form by 1m cubed costs 1Htc per frame. So for example, Stretcho the amazing changing man turns himself into an armoured dome, enough to encompass a large crowd of people. His maximum normal size of 4mx4mx4m won't be enough, so he pays 4Htc to boost it to 8mx8mx8m to save the people. He must pay the 4Htc per frame to hold that shape, so clearly won't be able to hold it for long!

Grade 3 - As grade 2, save that the character can pay for higher grades of powers for their new form with a one off payment of 10Htc that lasts until they change form again. No higher than grade 2 of that power may be 'bought' however. The character can also increase their maximum size more effectively, with 2m cubed size increase for 1 Htc/action. Also their bodies are naturally so elastic that they have Damage Dividers of 2 at all times against concussive attacks, and if they decide to dodge (automatic success) their dividers increase to 4. This grade automatically gives the stretching power at Grade 1 free of charge (which can be boosted to Grade 2 by paying 10Htc and lasts until the character uses this power again).

Might need some tweaking, as its a powerful ability, though limited at the same time (in order to carry people in plane form, for example, you may need to pay HTC to increase your size as a 4m long, 4m wingspan plane will only seat one, maybe two, at best). Sharp attacks and energy attacks will be nasty against you though, remember. Might be an idea to bump up Agility and some means of dodging (reactions, speed etc) rather than armour, but that's your choice.
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Tue May 11 2010, 07:35

Looks fine at first glance - we can put our heads together to House Rule a self manipulation power (as per Plastic Man) if you'd like? Probably take an action to change, mimic the effects of certain visible effect powers, so fly with a rotor blade, blast flame with a flamethrower, go underwater as a mini sub etc. It'd probably cost 2 powers to start with (like Magic and PSI etc) given its remit. We can hash out details later (I'd take Agility as a power rather than Gymnastics though - as a gymnast he was talented, say, but Agility makes him augmented human/superhuman)

Right, work Sad Catch up later
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

New Characters - Page 2 Empty New Characters

Post  DavidMcMahon Tue May 11 2010, 01:26

Haven't had time to move this to a character sheet and figure out the secondary stats yet but this is what I have so far:

Hero: Putty Secret ID: ??? He can't yet remember who he is.
Stats:
Ego - 15
Str - 12+18
Dex - 17
Vigour 16

Str - Grd 1 [+18]
Stretch - Grd 2
Armour - Grd 2
Shapeshift - Grd 1 - Freeform
Skills - Gymnastics

The hospital may or may not know who he is but he doesn't know who he is when he starts adventuring. I figure he will piece together his life as he goes along. Basically, college student going on athletic scholarship [Gymnastics] is his very basic background that should be fairly easy to find out. From that, his real name will become known. But does he have parents? Siblings? Girlfriend? What college did he attend?

His Armour is basically his extremely pliable body absorbing all kinds of damage.

One of these days, we can invent a new power for him where he can shapechange into objects as well - lamps, rugs, mailboxes, etc.

Well, that's my idea. Does it work for you?

Exclamation

Cook up a character - you know what you're doing of course, but house rules are:
  • 4d6 for stats drop lowest die arrange as required
  • 7 power rolls assign as you wish. Grade 2 costs 2 power rolls total, Grade 3 costs 4 power rolls total (as per Squadron UK rules) Alternately you can roll 4 powers, assign another four to upgrading the ones you rolled or roll them randomly as well. This will make a real mish mash, and I'd recommend option one (7, choose powers)
  • Adv Backgrounds cost 1 power roll, choose as reqd.
  • Origin - you all have the same origin. You character wakes from a week long coma with no memory of how, why, what happened. Slowly you realise you have superhuman powers and decide to do the right thing. Right now, reality has been changed... the Vanguard (good guys run by Dave, Kendal, Harry, and eventually, when you meet up, you Smile ) are the only ones unaffected by history being changed. It's the year 2018 and the Nazis won World War II. Europe is ruled under an iron fist. Your character will have grown up under Nazi rule, taught English and German languages at school and brainwashed like every other child to serve the Nazi regime. But you have doubts. You see corruption, abuse of power, murder, and a careless disregard for human life from the Nazi oppressors. They see themselves as the master race, and the conquered peoples of Europe suffer under their rule. Some have adapted to the life, others have their minds changed by seeing the cruelty the Nazis indulge in.

So when you wake up in Hospital, you know things have changed, forever. It's just a feeling, one you can't shake. That's when you notice your powers manifesting...[/quote]
DavidMcMahon
DavidMcMahon
Cosmic Level

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Tue May 11 2010, 00:26

Good to have you in David Smile Your first adventure will be a solo one - however, with the powers ranged against the Vanguard at the moment I'm thinking of throwing you straight in at the deep end after a few intro posts...

Cook up a character - you know what you're doing of course, but house rules are:
  • 4d6 for stats drop lowest die arrange as required
  • 7 power rolls assign as you wish. Grade 2 costs 2 power rolls total, Grade 3 costs 4 power rolls total (as per Squadron UK rules) Alternately you can roll 4 powers, assign another four to upgrading the ones you rolled or roll them randomly as well. This will make a real mish mash, and I'd recommend option one (7, choose powers)
  • Adv Backgrounds cost 1 power roll, choose as reqd.
  • Origin - you all have the same origin. You character wakes from a week long coma with no memory of how, why, what happened. Slowly you realise you have superhuman powers and decide to do the right thing. Right now, reality has been changed... the Vanguard (good guys run by Dave, Kendal, Harry, and eventually, when you meet up, you Smile ) are the only ones unaffected by history being changed. It's the year 2018 and the Nazis won World War II. Europe is ruled under an iron fist. Your character will have grown up under Nazi rule, taught English and German languages at school and brainwashed like every other child to serve the Nazi regime. But you have doubts. You see corruption, abuse of power, murder, and a careless disregard for human life from the Nazi oppressors. They see themselves as the master race, and the conquered peoples of Europe suffer under their rule. Some have adapted to the life, others have their minds changed by seeing the cruelty the Nazis indulge in.

So when you wake up in Hospital, you know things have changed, forever. It's just a feeling, one you can't shake. That's when you notice your powers manifesting...
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

New Characters - Page 2 Empty New Characters

Post  DavidMcMahon Mon May 10 2010, 23:16

Just let me know when you are ready for new characters. I have an idea for a homage of Plastic Man and other stretching/shapeshifting heroes.
David McMahon aka Wandafar aka Ghost Knight.

cheers
DavidMcMahon
DavidMcMahon
Cosmic Level

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2