The Vanguard Play by Post Roleplaying Game
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Avengers is Awesome go see it

4 posters

Go down

Avengers is Awesome go see it Empty Re: Avengers is Awesome go see it

Post  Steeple_jackuk Tue May 01 2012, 15:45

Admin wrote:Once you finish this issue there'll be hero points to go round (plenty of 'em - you all earned them).

I want to change the Hero Point mechanic as well, but I'll make sure everyone knows about this. Proposed change:

If you absolutely have to succeed, use a destiny point. These will be handed out far less frequently, but guarantee a double. You pick one of the two dice rolled (the highest) and discard the other, then assume a double was rolled, adding another 2D10 to your total. There are times in comic books that the good guy will always pull the fat out of the fire and no difference here.

Hey mate you know me, I'm pretty laid back about these things and am happy to go with what makes for a more enjoyable game, esp for you Very Happy

Sj
Steeple_jackuk
Steeple_jackuk
Cosmic Level

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Tue May 01 2012, 00:33

Once you finish this issue there'll be hero points to go round (plenty of 'em - you all earned them).

I want to change the Hero Point mechanic as well, but I'll make sure everyone knows about this. Proposed change:

Basically you can spend 1 hero point per extra D10 you roll (same as the Lore Knights game) and pick the best two dice (double or highest roll), with no limit on hero point spending. Every issue you'll get a big fat pile of hero points to spend and whilst they won't guarantee a high roll (as they do now) they will increase your chances, and you'll have more of them. I'm thinking that the award of hero points would be 1 point per page of the issue (so a 16 page issue would give 16 hero points) +1 per page if it was a tough issue, and +2 if it was insanely tough or you had to go above and beyond the call of duty.

If you absolutely have to succeed, use a destiny point. These will be handed out far less frequently, but guarantee a double. You pick one of the two dice rolled (the highest) and discard the other, then assume a double was rolled, adding another 2D10 to your total. There are times in comic books that the good guy will always pull the fat out of the fire and no difference here.

I realise we're house ruling SQUK to death here, but its only through long term play that problems and solutions crop up. Playing the game as written doesn't work that great for any RPG when played by post so you have to compromise and adapt.

You and David M will probably see this mechanic straight away as lifted from the Lore Knights game (and I like it so much, I bought the... oh no, wait, I mean, I want it in the SQUK game too...) but I'll make sure everyone knows about it come issue end. If anyone has objections, we'll stick with things as they are, but I think you'll be better off and better able to influence the dice, important given Frostbites generally crappy rolls Sad

Admin
Admin
Admin

https://darkeningshadows.darkbb.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Steeple_jackuk Mon Apr 30 2012, 22:40

Admin wrote:Well, Ani-Men was just used as an example, but the Dark Power level is what you should be worrying about. It needs to be sufficiently high to call on enough points to have a chance against what's coming... Bedlamms plan - to clone himself and spread his nasty Ani-men genetic virus out there to take over Britain - is only one of several attacks on Great Britain at the moment, what with the Nazis and Dark Power sticking their nose in at every turn. If the good guys manage to fight all that off (and they are doing ok at the moment) the main event is up next.

I think that said the biggest problem we face is the dwindling pool of hero points, sentinel has none I've got a few left, I don't mind using the dark power but unless not using it is worse, using the dark power without a hero point to bolster my often bad rolls is going to be pretty bad. But we shall see.

I can't imagine that you'd send us into a fight we can't win, some of us may pay the ultimate price for victory, I could see Frostbite being a martyr for the cause to save earth, though I'd hate to see it happen. But if that had to be the price paid, so be it, especially if we didn't have any other way, i.e. not enough dark power experience for example.

Sj
Steeple_jackuk
Steeple_jackuk
Cosmic Level

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Mon Apr 30 2012, 19:48

Well, Ani-Men was just used as an example, but the Dark Power level is what you should be worrying about. It needs to be sufficiently high to call on enough points to have a chance against what's coming... Bedlamms plan - to clone himself and spread his nasty Ani-men genetic virus out there to take over Britain - is only one of several attacks on Great Britain at the moment, what with the Nazis and Dark Power sticking their nose in at every turn. If the good guys manage to fight all that off (and they are doing ok at the moment) the main event is up next.
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Steeple_jackuk Mon Apr 30 2012, 07:19

Thanks for the advice, as regards the Ani men, but there is a small problem in that none of the current folk with dark power are battling them ;-(, Anyman is in the States, Sentinel and Frostbite are taking on the Nazi's and I am using the dark power at every opportunity. Anyman has used up his opportunities, being ahead of us and Sentinel has no hero points left which could spell a greater disaster for London than the Nazi's ever could, if he lost control.

So for the time being what we got, we got! Unless things wrap up with the Nazi's and we can then chase down the Ani men, it ain't looking like we'll get much more opportunity.

Hope the cold feels better, the way you describe it sounds painful, much. Take all the time you need.

Sj
Steeple_jackuk
Steeple_jackuk
Cosmic Level

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Sun Apr 29 2012, 23:54

Don't put any spoilers in here as David M has to wait till May 4 to see this! On another note, my cold is getting the better of me. had every intention of doing a full round of updates, but my head is absolutely pounding and its hard to see out of my left eye (, all down side of face, its that sort of cold, really sore) so updates tomorrow.

I intend to 'wrap' the current issues in a satisfactory manner so don't worry that you'll spend all your time battling an endless line of Ani-men, but I would offer this pieces of advice. If you get the chance to use the Dark power, do it - you might need the experience in its use for what's about to turn up...

Cheers (and good night!) Paul (where did I put my jar of vicks?)
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  smaug Sun Apr 29 2012, 10:22

I agree the hulk rocks and the main fight awesome exspecialy the combo power attack between iron man and cap

smaug
Class 4 Hero (Powerful Superhuman)
Class 4 Hero (Powerful Superhuman)

Back to top Go down

Post  Steeple_jackuk Fri Apr 27 2012, 23:49

Admin wrote:I reckon Mark Ruffalo (who plays Hulk) came out of this film even better than Robert Downey and he'll be able to write his own cheque to play Hulk in a movie after this.

Though that might be true, Paul. Don't also forget they are contracted for multiple movies and the contracts to some degree probably put a cap on pay scales, perhaps offering instead a percentage of the sales instead to make it more lucrative.

I suspect they're all down for multiple movies, if they continue to do well. But I must confess I don't know the system at all well, so I may well be way off base.

Sj
Steeple_jackuk
Steeple_jackuk
Cosmic Level

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Fri Apr 27 2012, 22:55

I think the pre sales figures are somewhat distorted because they compare this film to the previous Disney/marvel jobs (iron Man, Cap, thor, IM2) and its outsold all those in presale (they may not have figures for the Fox/Sony stuff like X Men and Spiderman). That said, I think IM2 did $500 million or so, and the others were in the hundreds of millions, so it'll still make plenty of cash - it'll need to. I think it cost around $220 million. After John Carter Disney needs to make a mountain of cash and this is its best chance this year.

The problem I see with it making mountains of money is that it will be hideously expensive to assemble this cast for a sequel. Robert Downey probably doesn't bother getting out of bed for less than $20 million a film, and the others know the fans want to see them, not someone drafted in at the last minute.

I reckon Mark Ruffalo (who plays Hulk) came out of this film even better than Robert Downey and he'll be able to write his own cheque to play Hulk in a movie after this.
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Steeple_jackuk Fri Apr 27 2012, 13:53

Admin wrote:Yeah, that's strange cause it's normally the other way round. It's a poor strategy as well. The US is the biggest market for films (and most other things) and bad word of mouth could really have killed this thing off before it even gets to the states. As it is, aside from a few (slow) pacing issues in the first part of the film it's all good, and well worth seeing. If I were going second time round I'd not bother with the 3D because the action is too fast/frenetic for you to notice it.

Guaranteed though, it will make you laugh Smile

I'd agree about the 3d and that the image is dim in places, but that is largely in a few opening scenes. The Easter egg part way through the end credits is awesome to. A split second of brilliance. Personally I had more of a problem with the 3D then I did with anything else. At times it was spot on, but more often than not it just seemed the thing to do. I'm glad the Dark Knight Rises isn't in 3d. I'm not a big fan of it.

I think that the tracking data suggest presales and what in the states is so high, this could be one of the biggest openings for a Supers movie ever. Just glad I got to see it so quickly.

Sj
Steeple_jackuk
Steeple_jackuk
Cosmic Level

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Fri Apr 27 2012, 13:44

Yeah, that's strange cause it's normally the other way round. It's a poor strategy as well. The US is the biggest market for films (and most other things) and bad word of mouth could really have killed this thing off before it even gets to the states. As it is, aside from a few (slow) pacing issues in the first part of the film it's all good, and well worth seeing. If I were going second time round I'd not bother with the 3D because the action is too fast/frenetic for you to notice it.

Guaranteed though, it will make you laugh Smile
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  DavidMcMahon Fri Apr 27 2012, 00:34

Darn you guys for getting to see it early! It doesn't come out in the US until May 4th! Evil or Very Mad
DavidMcMahon
DavidMcMahon
Cosmic Level

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Fri Apr 27 2012, 00:26

Oh, and happy birthday in case I forget/miss it Smile
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Fri Apr 27 2012, 00:11

Just got back from seeing it, I have nothing to add to your review Smile Good film, genuinely funny in parts that had the whole audience laughing. I think non comic book geeks will like this film too.

Unfortunately it means I'll have to catch up with most posts tomorrow... (later today now)
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Avengers is Awesome go see it Empty Avengers is Awesome go see it

Post  Steeple_jackuk Thu Apr 26 2012, 20:49

Just got back from an early Birthday present seeing the Avengers. Absolutely brilliant. Very funny in places, excellent story, very good acting and just done with class and elegance. Is it perfect, no, very little is, but it has heart, its got soul and did I say it was funny. Go see it, I'd be surprised if you come back disappointed.
Steeple_jackuk
Steeple_jackuk
Cosmic Level

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum